PDA

View Full Version : Do you have duplicate lenses in same focal lenght? Why? Why not?

raid
05-01-2016, 12:02
Am I among the small minority here at RFF for having multiple lenses for same or similar focal lengths as RF lenses?

I keep such duplicates because I like using them whenever it pleases me to do so. I don't actually need to have any duplicates.

What about you? Have you reduced your lens counts to reach a minimal set?

I am OK with what I am doing. I enjoy a lot to inspect and use high quality craftsmanship and superb optics.

robert blu
05-01-2016, 12:16
I have a 35 Summicron and a 35/1,7 CV LTM which I used on my Bessa R (or on the M7 with adapter).

Than I have a 50 Summicron and the 50/F2 CV Heliar Anniversary Edition for the Bessa, but again I use it sometimes with adapter on the m7.

and a 50/1,4 AIS for my Nikon...

robert

raid
05-01-2016, 12:21
Hello Robert. Your Summicron and the 35/1.7 should be quite different the way each renders images. Based on what I have read here about the two lenses, each lens is excellent. Your CV 50/2 Heliar gets mixed reviews from users at RFF, while the Summicron is a great lens in the eyes of most users, it seems.

I may have become a "collector and user of not too expensive lenses" over the years.

Charlie Lemay
05-01-2016, 12:43
Raid, I'm like you in having way to many duplicates, but I delight in their different personalities. I am someone of modest means, but this has been my photography graduate school. 50's are my favorite focal length, but I have multiples of all the focal lengths in my M system. This is not true of my R and Nikon systems where I have only one of each. I sell some to buy others, but usually buy them back later.

rulnacco
05-01-2016, 13:09
I'm a little--but only a little--embarrassed to admit I have three 50mm lenses for my Leica M system.

I started with an early Rigid Summicron, which I acquired quite cheaply--it was hazy at first, and had a dodgy aperture ring. For not too much, I was able to get both problems fixed by the legendary Malcolm Taylor.

I grew to love this lens, the way it handled and the way it rendered (except for flare, which is a pretty common problem with most versions of the Summicron), but then my local camera crack dealer offered me a nice Version IV. So I traded in the Rigid on it.

As I missed the lens so much, even though the more modern lens was clearly better at wide apertures, I later acquired from him a very nice indeed later version of the Rigid when it came into his shop. However, when he then pushed on me a handsome 1964 era Summilux at a very reasonable price, I once again divested myself of the Rigid in trade.

However, that lens was so beautiful and I regretted yet again selling it. So later, when the new owner decided to return this very same lens to my dealer (to help pay for the purchase of a WATE), I couldn't help myself. I bought it back, and I don't intend to part with it.

So which one do I use? The Summilux is normally on the front of my M6 0.85. I actually like the look of its classic chrome on the black camera. And in most situations, it works wonderfully.

When I want ultimate sharpness at wide apertures (but don't need the full 1.4), I use the Version IV. And the Rigid normally lives on the front of my M3, for when I want to stroll about in daytime using Sunny F16 and experiencing the tactile and imaging joys of using possibly the most classic Leica combination. (I just make sure I'm careful about shooting contre jour.)

The lens that gets used the least is actually the Version IV, even though it is technically probably the best of the three. But the Nth degree of sharpness isn't usually important to me--I enjoy the process of making photographs as well as looking at them, and the other two lenses are certainly sharp enough. And they're simply more fun to shoot.

So if and when I decide to part with one, it will likely be the newest lens of the trio. But that sort of points up something else--to me, the lenses are like money in the bank (so long as they don't get lost or damaged). By that I mean, as I paid reasonable prices for them, I will be able to get back probably every penny (and maybe more) of what they cost me if I ever go to sell them. And effectively I'll have had the enjoyment of using them for free while they were in my possession.

At least that's how I rationalise it!

madNbad
05-01-2016, 13:12
Currently I have three 35s', V5 Summicron, C-Biogon and a nice little Summaron 3.5 LTM. The reality is the Summicron is the only one I really need but the others offer a different experience in both handling and rendering. The Summicron was the first 35 acquired after retuning to using M cameras. It has had the most use and I still consider it my primary lens. The little Summaron is a tiny package but it is defiantly not a fast lens to use. I got the C-Biogon for a full time 35 on my M2. Except for the weird filter size, it's a great lens and is easy to use. Plus the Biogon offers third stops which is a bonus feature. Given the choice (and money) I would love to add a few more from a 35 Summilux to a Color-Skopar. In my case I would rather add lens than new bodies.

YouAreHere
05-01-2016, 13:20
LTM glass is so plentiful and inexpensive, relative to modern M-mount, that I find it impossible not to have duplicates in focal lengths. Also, some duplicates are obtained to have choice, e.g. speed, so carrying an f2 (or slower) vs an f1.4; weight, so a collapsible vs a rigid. And then there is always aesthetics, chrome vs black!

filmtwit
05-01-2016, 13:23
Ihave some duplicate focal ranges for a couple of reasons.
For 50's it because I wanted or like %5 different "look" each of them gives vs each other.
Or a few cases I want or need slower lens vs a really quick lens too.
For my 35's & 28's it's combination of the above, but also size and weight.

None the less, I should probably get around to selling a few of these too.

peterm1
05-01-2016, 13:29
Raid, you are not alone. I am like you and I particularly duplicate 50mm lens (ok others too) because I like the different looks they give. At the end of the day I do it because I am curious.

raid
05-01-2016, 13:39
I think that the main factor driving me to where I am now is RFF, of course. It began with my idea to compare many 50mm lenses. RFF members mailed me many lenses, but of course, I sent them back to their owners. I then got curious ... what about the Summar or the Elmar or the Summarit and the Summitar ... and so on. I don't think that their values went down, though!

bluesun267
05-01-2016, 14:01
Every now and then I toy with the idea of paring down to one lens (50mm is my favorite focal length) but then another one comes up and they end up proliferating instead...

Currently I use:

Summitar--had this one for about 12 years
Nikkor SC 5cm/1.4--had it for 5 years
Elmar Red Scale--just got it this year

Each one renders a very different image--that and whether or not I want to go lightweight, determines the one I'll use.

Also have a Canon 50/1.8 but don't like it very much (plenty sharp but boring rendition I think).

Just got a W. Nikkor 35/2.5 which I have dubbed "The Prince of Bokeh"--really surprisingly sharp/contrasty lens with lovely bokeh (compares very favorably with the Summicron V.4 I recently borrowed) though the Nikkor ergonomically a little challenging (tiny aperture ring w/ rotating front).

I'm a LTM Canon and Leica shooter primarily. Though I do shoot with a Minolta SLR (XD-11) occasionally--I have five 50mm-55mm lenses for that system!

michaelwj
05-01-2016, 14:11
Raid, I don't think you're in the minority!

While I can see why some people like to have multiple lenses in a focal length, I just can't do it. I could say that it is because of some minimalist philosophy, but in reality I'm lazy and don't like to make decisions. I even struggle with more than one focal length sometimes, let alone multiples! What if I took the wrong one with me :confused:

I do like to try different lenses though, how else would I know I have the right one :D

Mackinaw
05-01-2016, 14:25
Several 50’s. A Canon 50/1.4 (my standard 50mm), a Canon 50/1.2 (portraits). Aa Canon 50/0.95 (special purpose lens….plus it only cost me $60.00), a Leitz M-mount 50mm collapsible Summicron, and a 50/20 LTM Nikkor (when I want to use a Sonnar-type lens). All see use at one time or the other.

Jim B.

kxl
05-01-2016, 14:26
I don't have as many lenses as others probably do. I have a 25-28-35-50-50-90; for the duplicate FL's I have, one's a ZM Planar and the other's a ZM Sonnar. The Planar's my go-to 50, while the Sonnar is for that special rendering wide-open.

FrankS
05-01-2016, 14:32
RF: CV21f4, Canon 28f3.5, Canon 35f2, CV40f1.4, 50 x5 (f1.8/2/3.5), Elmar 90f4, Hektor 135f4.5

Nikon SLR: 20f2.8, 20f3.5, 28f2.8, 28f3.5, 35f2.8, 50 x8 (f1.4/1.8/2/3.5), 100f2.5, Vivitar 28-90, 80-210

benmacphoto
05-01-2016, 15:38
I usually have multiple 35mm and 50mm lenses, as they are the most used focal lengths for me.

michaelwj
05-01-2016, 15:42
I usually have multiple 35mm and 50mm lenses, as they are the most used focal lengths for me.

Is it for different looks, systems, speed, ...?

Just because they're your most used doesn't mean you need multiples.

I'm genuinely curious btw.

FrankS
05-01-2016, 15:57
In my case, with multiple 50's, it's because when you get a camera, it usually comes with a 50.

raid
05-01-2016, 15:58
For me, it is curiosity before anything else. How does a Summicron render images, and how does a Biogon perform for me? Why do some people love the Pentax 43/1.9L or the Rolleiflex 40/2.8ltm? I want(ed) to know.

newst
05-01-2016, 16:20

This is my situation exactly. I like having lenses that render differently, I just don't know when to stop.

Canon 35mm f1.8
Canon 35mm f2.8
Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8
Leica Summaron 35mm f3.5

Canon 50mm f1.2
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 50mm f1.5
Jupiter-3 50mm f1.5
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon Serenar 50mm f1.9
Leica Summitar 50mm f2.0
Jupiter-8 50mm f2.0
Canon 50mm f2.8
Leica Elmar 50mm f3.5

madNbad
05-01-2016, 16:23
For me, it is curiosity before anything else. How does a Summicron render images, and how does a Biogon perform for me? Why do some people love the Pentax 43/1.9L or the Rolleiflex 40/2.8ltm? I want(ed) to know.

During your search did you find the "if I could only have one" lens?

JOCO34
05-01-2016, 16:39
Well I have a bunch of 50mm's and another on the way. Oldest M mount is a 50mm Summicron f/2 DR which I have had since the 1960's. It's used for it's great film like images on my M240. Then I have a Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 M mount thats for low light use and it's great contrast and vivid colors and finaly a new to me Chrome Summicron 50mm f/2 version 5 which will be an everday default lens for the M240. Then there is the Screw mount 50mm summicron f/2 collapsable for my IIIF and another screwmount Voightlander 50mm for the same camera. My M2 just has to share!! They all shoot a bit differently and have different strengths and weaknesses.

raid
05-01-2016, 16:42
No. I am satisfied with the lenses that I own, but each lens differs slightly from the rest of the lenses. The Rollei 40/2.8 is super smooth but other lenses are faster and sharper, say.
I enjoy the act of creating images more than owning lenses. I enjoy picking out two lenses for use each weekend. I rotate around my favorites.

marcr1230
05-01-2016, 16:43
I have a bunch of 50's usually because they come with bodies I've acquired. Other times, I just like the look of one, or heard a good thing about another
here's a breakdown by mount:

Olympus OM:
Zuiko 50/1.4

Nikon F
Zeiss ZF.2 Planar 50/1.4
Nikon 50/1.4

Nikon S:
MS Optical 50/1.3
Zeiss S-Mount Sonnar-C 50/1.5
Nikon S 50/1.4 (re-issue)

Classic Contax
Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5
Zeiss Sonnar 50/2.0

Leica:
Summicron 50/2.0

KM-25
05-01-2016, 16:51
The only duplicates I have in some 40 lenses across 3 formats are:

2 x 35mm's for Leica, 35mm Summicron V4 and 35mm 1.4 FLE.
2 x 50mm's for Nikon, 50mm 1.8AIS and 50mm 2.0 Zeiss Milvus.

Other than those two sets, no dupes.

benmacphoto
05-01-2016, 17:00
Is it for different looks, systems, speed, ...?

Just because they're your most used doesn't mean you need multiples.

I'm genuinely curious btw.

It's for the different renderings and image quality of a lens.
For Leica I have a 35mm f1.4 pre ASPH Summilux and love it's rendering, but also have a 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar for how it renders.
And 50mm f1.5 Summarit for its image quality as well as a 50mm f2.0 Summicron version V for how it renders.

As well as different systems.
For my Nikon system I have a 50mm f1.2 AI, 50mm f1.8 Series E and 55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor.
I like the image quality of the 50mm f1.2, but it has distortion so I use the 55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor.
And the 50mm f1.8 Series E for how compact it is.

shimokita
05-01-2016, 17:16
I guess it was a question that implied "duplicates in the same [RF] mount"... in any case with the exception of LTM / M-mount the reason for multiples is different mounts. Edit: non RF lenses not shown

28 - Canon (S) LTM: 28 f/2.8
28 - Leica M-mount: 28 f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH

50 - Canon (S) LTM: 50 f/1.8
50 - Leica M-mount: 50 f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH

Casey

raid
05-01-2016, 17:21
I meant only rangefinder lenses.

maxmadco
05-01-2016, 17:25
I do have multiples of the same focal length but only in LTM not in M.
Many came with a camera body and some bodies were bought just for the lens.
Unfortunately I have more camera equipment than I have time to use right now and hope that will change soon.
Being a machinist I love the way the old lenses were made and also appreciate the Barnacks more than the M's I have.

wjlapier
05-01-2016, 17:32
Four 35's for my M6.

Leica 35 Summaron LTM
CV 35/2.5 LTM
Nikkor S 35/2.5 ( sharpest 35 I have )
Nikon 35/2.8 M from a 35Ti

All these lenses are pretty sharp and render color differently, but that Nikkor S is special.

No other rangefinder lenses in my kit.

anerjee
05-01-2016, 17:40
I recently got a 50mm m-Hexanon as a second 50, after my c-sonnar which I have been using for the last 4 years.

The c-sonnar is absolutely brilliant on film, but I felt that a more regular 50 would be a better choice on my M-P.

The digital sensor is brutal on focusing errors. What looks charming on film looks sloppy on digital.

Am I among the small minority here at RFF for having multiple lenses for same or similar focal lengths as RF lenses?

I keep such duplicates because I like using them whenever it pleases me to do so. I don't actually need to have any duplicates.

What about you? Have you reduced your lens counts to reach a minimal set?

I am OK with what I am doing. I enjoy a lot to inspect and use high quality craftsmanship and superb optics.

narsuitus
05-01-2016, 17:53
Do you have duplicate lenses in same focal lenght? Why? Why not?

Yes, I have 3 or more duplicate 105, 50, and 28mm Nikon F-mount lenses for my SLRs.

No, I do not have duplicate lenses for my rangefinders.

YYV_146
05-01-2016, 18:03
Only for 50mm. I've been a longtime user of the Noctilux ASPH which is simply too heavy for day-to-day use. I've recently added the APO-summicron which is superb and lighter than any of my other M lenses.

Used to have duplicates for 35 and 50 in E-mount but didn't use them enough to keep them around.

Trius
05-01-2016, 18:09
Cuz I can.

xenohip
05-01-2016, 18:18
Hello World! Xenohip here. AKA Strange is cool. AKA the fool on all of your screens. John Simpson

In 1998 I was admitted to the Yale Psychiatric Institute (has since been closed down, and described as a "hell-hole" by my shrink.

I am quite certain that a brain implant was inserted during my stay there. I could feel something like a small bolt of lightning going into my brain. There was a bump on my head near the location where I thought this thing came from. This evil did something like an electric shock when I communicated with people, leading to an considerably lonely life in a garage shop/studio making violins.

xenohip
05-01-2016, 18:22
In 2012 I used some violin making tools to stab this bump on my head. I've been told that subsequently showering and rubbing with ointment, a very fine wire worked it's way out.

After that, life improved greatly! My partner has been very much a saint and a savior to me, if I could just figure who was the real one! They keep rotating them (clones?) in and out of my house and life for no fathomable reason.

xenohip
05-01-2016, 18:25
This can't go on!!!

Bring them all here at once and we'll see if we can work out what's really going on.

Or send me to a deserted island to make violins on my own improvising my own compositions on them (I can be quite self-sufficient).

Or kill me quickly and painlessly.

raid
05-01-2016, 18:25
How is this related to having multiple lenses of same focal length?

xenohip
05-01-2016, 18:26
Protestors welcome at 50 Hill Top Dr, East Greenwich, RI

Please help!

xenohip
05-01-2016, 18:27
How is this related to having multiple lenses of same focal length?

Sorry to disrupt your thread. I can't access a major news media outlet easily.

Please spread the word.

quadtones
05-01-2016, 18:45
For completely different uses, two completely different beasts: 35mm v4 Summicron, 35mm C-V f1.2 Nokton v1.

And then sometimes it just seems to happen. 75mm APO-Summicron had to go back to the mother ship--gone six months, and I bought a 75mm f2.5 C-V Color Heliar and adapter to use on the Monochrom while it was gone. Now the Summicron's back, I love the Heliar. Two completely different looks.

marcr1230
05-01-2016, 20:49
Sorry Raid

The reasons for dupes are the same though , a combination of
Acquiring extra lenses by purchasing a kit or just curiosity/allure of
A different manufacturer or flavor of the same focal length

I meant only rangefinder lenses.

peterm1
05-01-2016, 20:59
This thread kind of reminds me of the old Danny De Vito movie "Other People's Money". In it he said something to the effect that making money is like a game. And whoever dies with the most of it wins.

Same as lenses.

kiemchacsu
05-01-2016, 21:08
I don't.
Whenever I got duplicate lenses in same fl, I always try to reduce to the one that I like most.
I used to be in situation of wondering which lens to take (same fl) for a shooting section and didn't like that idea.
For me the differences in performance of lenses are not justify to keep more than one lens in same focal length. I like the simplicity but may be that's just me in this category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kuuan
05-01-2016, 21:34
of course I do!
I do photograhy for fun, and big part of the fun is using old, manual lenses. Each one is different and adds to the joy. I am exhilarated that rel. modest amount of money, I don't have Leica lenses but old LTM lenses, lets me have and play with quite a number of interesting and beautifully built lenses. Two or more having the same focal lenghts could never be a reason to exclude one or the other

Brian Legge
05-01-2016, 21:59
I have some intentional redundancies that cover different tradeoffs (Elmar-m 50 for size, ZM Planar for quality, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 for sonnar/single coated look, CV 50mm 1.1 for nighttime shooting, etc).

I also have lenses I haven't gotten around to selling after a bunch of experimentation the last few years. They're quality glass but underutilized as one of the others beats it out. I went through a bunch of gear trying equipment to see what works best for me and still have remainders left over.

nukecoke
05-02-2016, 01:00
Too many 50mms, too few others.

David Hughes
05-02-2016, 01:01
Fun and curiosity I guess.

I can't see the point of having a model II without a Summar, and a standard without an Elmar and so on. And, of course, when I built up the collection camera bodies came with lenses...

Regards, David

Lss
05-02-2016, 01:39
Yes, I have more than one of 35, 50, and 75 each.

I would like to have a real duplicate of at least the Voigtländer 35/1.4.

Jamespics
05-02-2016, 01:47
Hi Raid.
I also own quite a few 50mm lenses (and 85s).
I own them because I think they are fun (to use, to compare, to fiddle with..).
J

jmilkins
05-02-2016, 02:24
Raid, I don't think you're in the minority!

While I can see why some people like to have multiple lenses in a focal length, I just can't do it. I could say that it is because of some minimalist philosophy, but in reality I'm lazy and don't like to make decisions. I even struggle with more than one focal length sometimes, let alone multiples! What if I took the wrong one with me :confused:

I do like to try different lenses though, how else would I know I have the right one :D

Lucky you had a local lending library...:p

Peter Jennings
05-02-2016, 02:50
This thread is hilarious, but not for the lenses. I was imagining all of you in a room together discussing this topic and suddenly a strange individual walks in talking about brain implants and conspiracies and yet not one of you bothers to notice except Raid, who simply asks - deadpan expression - what his rantings have to do with the topic at hand. And then the stranger wanders off continuing his rant while the discussion in the room goes on uninterrupted.
I love it.

ruby.monkey
05-02-2016, 02:53
Really only 50mm, and not too many of those:

- 50mm rigid Summicron that came with my M3, and is my normal carry lens.
- 50mm f/2.8 Elmar for compactness.
- Canon 50mm f/1.2 for when I need the speed.
- Screw-mount 50mm f/1.5 Nokton, just because it renders beautifully.

Jockos
05-02-2016, 03:02
Have 2 of each at the moment, one big (well, they ARE rangefinder lenses) and one small, but I'm not planning on keeping all of them:

21 Skopar
21 Ultron (will probably sell)

50 Summarit (will probably sell, but nice to have, pocketable!)
50 Lux ASPH

90 Macro Elmar
90 Elmarit (will sell soon, or swap for Summicron pre ASPH)

All in all, I've got more or less the lenses I want and then some! Three focal lengths covers most of what I do, and with the recently acquired Macro Elmar, I feel I'm pretty much there :)

rscheffler
05-02-2016, 03:15
Yes, I have many more duplicates for my RF system than my DSLR, in part because I'm more interested in the rendering characteristics of various RF lens eras, but also for practical reasons, such as speed, size, technical quality. RF lenses are also very small compared to typical modern DSLR glass, so having multiple copies, even concurrently in the camera bag during an outing, doesn't feel as burdensome and offers options I would not bother with when using the DSLR.

For example:

3 at 21mm:

21 Lux for speed and rendering
21 SEM for size and absolute sharpness/technical quality
ZM21/2.8 because it was the first 21 for RF I bought and am too lazy to sell it. It has since been replaced in day to day use by the SEM, though is very similar in capability by f/5.6.
I also bought the CV21/1.8 to pit against the 21 Lux. In some ways it outperformed the Lux (field curvature characteristics), but didn't sway me in respect to rendering, so sold it. One of the few RF lenses I've actually sold.
I'm a fan of 21mm and there are times I carry the Lux and SEM at the same time to leverage the strengths of each.

Multiple at 35mm. Actually, I use 28mm a lot more, but only one at that focal length - 28 Cron (but am toying with adding a 'vintage' option; either an older 28 Elmarit or Canon LTM). 35mm is a FL I use sporadically and over the years tried to fit into my daily kit.

ZM35/2.8 - first RF lens I bought. All around very nice and tiny, but sometimes too slow
CV35/1.2 II - fast lens, decent rendering, but huge and its field curvature annoys me when trying to get two or more people in focus at wider aperture settings. I've found I prefer fast 50s more than fast 35s, so now rarely use this lens and should probably sell it. If I want a fast 35, the ZM35/1.4 seems like the better alternative now, but would really like to find a bargain 35 Lux pre-ASPH for its rendering and size.
Canon 35/2 LTM for rendering and size
CV35/1.7 M - my current go-to 35mm. Very sharp, pleasing rendering, works great on digital along with my default modern M glass kit.

50mm.... too many to list (in the range of 8-10). Most are older and acquired for rendering characteristics, but they're often also relatively inexpensive and make easy impulse purchases. Of these, the favorite is a Zeiss Opton f/1.5 Sonnar, particularly for people photos (a close second would be the CV40/1.4, though maybe it should be in the 35mm category). I've always liked the look of the 50 Cron Rigid and finally recently found one at a reasonable price, but haven't shot much with it. My main go-to 50 is the Lux ASPH for the combination of speed, performance, rendering. It has some quirks that annoy me, but from my research only the 50 Cron APO would address these. Unfortunately its cost is a high obstacle for reasons practical and psychological.

~90mm:

90AA for technical performance - sharpness and modern rendering
Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5 LTM for 'vintage' rendering.
Sold a 90/2.5 Summarit for the AA. In some ways I regret this, since the Summarit was smaller, lighter and less complicated in regular use. The AA is technically better, but the improvement is incremental rather than considerable. For several years the AA was the 'what if' always sitting at the back of my mind at this FL, so had to try it when I found one at a good price...
The 90 I now want to try is the 90/4 macro because a lot of my 90 use is daytime urban and natural landscapes, often stopped down a fair amount. Here the wide open performance and rendering of the AA is irrelevant and I'm just lugging around more lens than I need for f/8 or f/11.

After all this, the lens combo I usually take with me is 21/28/50/90 comprised of the SEM, Cron, Lux ASPH and AA. Lately I've also added the CV35/1.7 M.

Why keep so many lenses? Other than practical reasons for specific applications: for fun.

raid
05-02-2016, 04:28
This thread is hilarious, but not for the lenses. I was imagining all of you in a room together discussing this topic and suddenly a strange individual walks in talking about brain implants and conspiracies and yet not one of you bothers to notice except Raid, who simply asks - deadpan expression - what his rantings have to do with the topic at hand. And then the stranger wanders off continuing his rant while the discussion in the room goes on uninterrupted.
I love it.

:D:D
He sounded strange. He took us for a major media outlet ....

raid
05-02-2016, 04:45
There is always room for expanding the set of lenses that we own. Say, I like the 50mm 1.5 lens. I have the Canon 50/1.5 ltm and also the CV 50/1.5 ltm. I could get the CV 50/1.5 M (in silver or in black?), or the popular ZM 50/1.5. I will not do it though. There is also the rare Nikkor 50/1.5.

Mr_Flibble
05-02-2016, 05:11
I own multiple 50mm Elmars, Summars, Summitars and 35mm Elmars.
Many were attached to a screwmount bodies when I bought them. :D

Some were purchased separately to complete a set; say a Nickel-finish 50mm and 35mm Elmar for a blackpaint Leica II.

For Contax RF, I own multiple fast Sonnars.

michaelwj
05-02-2016, 05:22
Lucky you had a local lending library...:p

Had?! I'll have to sort out an efficient mailing system...:D

lynnb
05-02-2016, 05:46
I started off with a Fed-3 that came with an Industar-61;

After the Fed-3 broke I bought a user IIIc and acquired a 5cm Summar from a friend; looking for something a bit less glow-y I found a Summicron 5cm collapsible; and was recently kindly given a Jupiter 8 from another RFF member. They are all different, and I like them all - some for portraits, some for other subjects.

The funny thing is I've wanted a 5cm f3.5 Elmar all along!

panerai
05-02-2016, 08:08
I have 2 Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 lenses. Bought one for my Leica CL, but then saw an Ebay auction for a Leitz Minolta camera with lens in nicer condition for a good BIN price.

Sold the second camera which resulted in the lens costing me $200, so hung onto it.

DON

presspass
05-02-2016, 08:57
Too many. After selling my rangefinder stuff in the early 70s to pay for an SLR kit I needed for work, I promised to never sell the rf equipment again. I haven't bought an M mount lens in five years but have acquired some LTM lenses to go with a pair of IIIa's. The only focal lengths I don't have duplicates of are 15, 18, and 40 mm. Sad, I know, but they don't take up a lot of space.

oftheherd
05-02-2016, 09:18
I have 3 100mm lenses for my Super Press 23. One I bought original to my first body. The other two came with other stuff, and need work. Same with a duplicate 65mm for the Press. I have two 50mm lenses for my Contac II, one I think came with some other purchase. Perhaps with the 35mm or the 85mm. I don't recall.

I really don't buy duplicates on purpose. I see no reason too. That's for myself. I totally understand others who want more. Raid's thread on different 50s was interesting even though I don't nor ever expect to own Leica gear. It was just interesting and I still marvel at the time and patience required for that testing.

FrankS
05-02-2016, 09:50
Canon 50f1.8
Cron rigid 50f2
Cron collapsible 50f2
Summar collapsible 50f2
Elmer collapsible uncoated 50f3.5
FED collapsible coated 50f3.5

used to have in addition:
Cron (1969-79, first black) 50f2
Summitar collapsible 50f2
Summarit 50f1.5
CV 50f2.5
Zeiss 50f2 (in Jupiter 8 barrel)
Nikon 50f2 with close focus

Bill Clark
05-02-2016, 09:52
I own a few fifties. But I'm not in my fifties anymore!

Leica, Nikkor, Canon even a Zeiss 50 f4.0 for my Hasselblad, to mention some of them.

Why? Well, you never know, I mean I use them.

Today, I'm making photos of grandchildren. The oldest is two. Using three cameras all with fifties on them and no other lenses in the camera bag. Then, in a few days I get to photograph my sons wife who will be a participant in a ceremony to become a United States citizen.

Fun and lots of smiles.

giganova
05-02-2016, 11:03
You guys are funny, you should listen to yourself.

"Weight" (?), "different personalities", "different rendering", "different aperture ring", "size", "compactness", "different look", "for different use", "allure", "looks better on my camera" -- seriously?

Why don't you just say "because I like it" or "because I can" and stop convincing yourself why you need different lenses of the same focal length. :rolleyes:

Even my wife accepts my non-argument "because I like it". Gives her an excuse to buy more shoes. :D

Brian Legge
05-02-2016, 11:26
I think those phrases are people explaining the 'why' to 'because I like it'. ;)

RichC
05-02-2016, 11:31
I guess I'm in the minority here: I'm interested in cameras (and lenses) only as tools, and couldn't care less about engineering (providing they're sufficiently sturdy) or optical differences (providing they sufficiently sharp).

It's all about the image for me, and efficiency - which as far as equipment goes means as few lenses etc. as possible.

So, for me, it's one lens per focal length unless there's a good reason otherwise. Like lenses, I don't duplicate cameras - each is a tool for a specific job. Let's take my Nikon D800E as an example - ignoring a point-and-shoot I use for "visual notes", my only digital camera:

- 35mm Nikon shift
- 55mm Nikon macro
- 55mm Mamiya (with shift adapter)
- 80mm Mamiya (with shift adapter)
- 135mm Mamiya (with shift adapter)

I've two 55mm lenses as one's a macro, and, on the rare ocassions I need it, I don't have to change to my everyday lens - the 55mm Mamiya. (As an aside, I prefer shift lenses - sharp, low distortion and much more versatile than a normal lens.)

The Mamiya lenses are a very deliberate choice. Besides my Nikon, my other primary camera is a Mamiya 645 film camera, so this set of lenses allows me to REDUCE the number of lenses I own since it's shared by two camera systems!

YYV_146
05-02-2016, 11:54
50mm.... too many to list (in the range of 8-10). Most are older and acquired for rendering characteristics, but they're often also relatively inexpensive and make easy impulse purchases. Of these, the favorite is a Zeiss Opton f/1.5 Sonnar, particularly for people photos (a close second would be the CV40/1.4, though maybe it should be in the 35mm category). I've always liked the look of the 50 Cron Rigid and finally recently found one at a reasonable price, but haven't shot much with it. My main go-to 50 is the Lux ASPH for the combination of speed, performance, rendering. It has some quirks that annoy me, but from my research only the 50 Cron APO would address these. Unfortunately its cost is a high obstacle for reasons practical and psychological.

The APO cron has been a revelation to me: performance is simply a notch above everything else in the focal length. The other sharper 50mm M's (planar, lux ASPH) don't draw in quite the same way.

If you find the Lux ASPH unsatisfying...go for the APO cron. The cost is high but I think not excessive for the experience.

kossi008
05-02-2016, 12:41
I used to have several lenses of my central 3 focal lengths (28, 35, 50), but I forced myself to pare down to one of each.

Feel way better now... until the next GAS attack..

seakayaker1
05-02-2016, 13:23
Multiple lens with the same focal lengths. Reasons vary, wanted to see how they were to handle and images produced, chrome vs black, small vs large, and because I had the cash on hand at the time. I have bought used vs new and have sold some along the way and reacquired a couple again after I sold them since I missed them after they were gone for a year or so. The intent is that I will sell them all off some day except a couple .....

...... that day may yet still come.

35's include: Silver Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f3.5; Silver Cron 35mm f2 ASOH; and Black Lux 35mm f1.4 ASPH

50's include: Black VC Nokton 50mm f1.5 ASPH; Silver Leitz Summitar 5 cm f/2; Black Lux 50mm f1.4 ASPH; and Black Zeiss 50mm f1.5

75's include: VC Silver Color-Heliar 75mm f/2.5 MC; and Black Cron 75mm f2 ASPH

90's include: Silver Leitz Elmar 9cm f4; Black Elmarit 90mm f2.8

Fjäll
05-02-2016, 13:28
I've got a Leica 35mm 2.0, Nikon 35mm 2.8, Tessar 35mm 3,5 (x2) and a Fujinon 35mm 2.0 but they are all permanently attached to their camera bodies respectively.

I don't think I'd ever buy the same focal length for the same brand though.

bhop73
05-02-2016, 13:33
I have two 50s.. A Summitar and a Canon 1.4. Although, I only really have the Summitar because I wanted a small lens for my Barnack after I purchased that. I generally use the Canon on the M6 because it's sharper and I use the 1.4 sometimes, but occasionally I'll use the Summitar on it because it collapses and is easier to carry around.

Jockos
05-02-2016, 13:35
You guys are funny, you should listen to yourself.

"Weight" (?), "different personalities", "different rendering", "different aperture ring", "size", "compactness", "different look", "for different use", "allure", "looks better on my camera" -- seriously?

Why don't you just say "because I like it" or "because I can" and stop convincing yourself why you need different lenses of the same focal length. :rolleyes:

Even my wife accepts my non-argument "because I like it". Gives her an excuse to buy more shoes. :D
Well, put a 21 skopar and a 21 ultron next to each other and say there's no practical size or weight difference.
:bang:

raid
05-03-2016, 06:55
I have a 35/1.4 pre-asph Lux, and I cannot bring myself to also get a CV 35/1.4, even though it may actually provide me with a more modern rendering alternative. My "other 35/1,4" is an SLR lens that has a 50% crop on my Olympus M4/3 camera, so the view is that of a 70mm lens.

Kent
05-03-2016, 08:05
Of course I do! ;)

Several 50ish mm lenses for Nikon.
Several 85/90mm for Nikon.
More 50 and 85 with other mounts.

Even two 90mm lenses by Leica.

Why? Because it's fun. And I like the different characters of the lenses.

raid
05-03-2016, 08:11
Me too. I am curious, so I buy lenses. I then use them all. A lot of using.
I have no collector's lens, I think. I have user's lenses.

Daryl J.
05-11-2016, 10:51
Sometimes I'm in the mood for dress slacks, sometimes jeans, sometimes scrub pants, all for the same job.

It's the same with my lenses and adds a bit of spontaneity to image creation. Sometimes I want a Sonnar bokeh, sometimes I want a 'Cron's predictability. Sometimes I need a pocket camera so my collapsible Elmar gets used. Sometimes I want a bit of an ethereal touch so the old Summarit goes on. Etc.

I like the various renderings.