PDA

View Full Version : "Leica to re-invent smartphone photography" with Huawei!

lynnb
02-25-2016, 21:44
Is this (http://petapixel.com/2016/02/25/leica-reinvent-smartphone-photography-chinese-telecom-giant-huawei/) the end of the world as we know it, or the start of a new one? Personally I think any move which keeps the red dot alive is a Good Thing, but maybe this has the potential to be much more than that. Multi-lens computational photography is just around the corner, and perhaps Leica is thinking along these lines.

Leica wants a piece of the smartphone photography boom. The iconic German camera company and Chinese telecom giant Huawei announced today that they’re teaming up in a long-term technology partnership to reinvent smartphone photography. The goal is a “visual world renaissance,” the companies say.
- from the PetaPixel article linked above.

Keith
02-25-2016, 21:49
Smartphone photography leaves me cold but I can see why Leica may travel this path. Suffice to say i won't be traveling it with them though! :D

lynnb
02-25-2016, 21:54
I'm sure any Leica-wei smartphones would carry a red dot premium.. well out of my price range! I'll stick to my IIIc.

rscheffler
02-25-2016, 23:24
Kinda wish it was a different phone company... But maybe it makes sense in respect to maintaining and growing Leica brand awareness in China and Asia in general?

kuuan
02-25-2016, 23:42
Kinda wish it was a different phone company...

why? Behind Samsung and apple Huawei is the world 3rd biggest handphone producer, the fastest growing one, seems like the most likely and promising producer to team up with.
Huawei so far has been offering premium products at cheaper price tags than it's competitors, I guess that the red dot will allow them to change that

borge
02-26-2016, 00:12
:(
:(
:bang:

Ronald_H
02-26-2016, 00:50
This will probably just mean Huawei smartphones with Leica branded lenses.

Hopefully they will come up with a replacement for my Nokia Lumia 1020. Which, incidently, has an (excellent) Zeiss branded lens.

Tijmendal
02-26-2016, 01:33
I'm sure any Leica-wei smartphones would carry a red dot premium.. well out of my price range! I'll stick to my IIIc.

Considering Huawei makes about the cheapest phones on the market, I'm not so sure.

calebarchie
02-26-2016, 02:02
Perhaps it is to get the general consumer to be more aware of Leica... increased leica sales and followers etc..

Huawei already has a huge market, what a cunning plan! And to add to that, we all already know Leica has a particular fancy for the Asian market.... :D

Ko.Fe.
02-26-2016, 04:26
It is easy, Hu something wants to make more profitable phone, Leica wants more sales. And Apple will still outsell all of them.

Baby of Macon
02-26-2016, 04:26
I'm with Keith and Lynn on smartphone photography. I don't care what colour dot it has. In the words of the Dragon's Den TV programme, "I won't be investing".

jojoman2
02-26-2016, 04:55
Smartphone street photography is a thing. It's very different from what I do, but there is a thriving community of folks taking really pretty great pictures on their phones (which I consider to be fully automatic point and shoot cameras). Does it require the same amount of technical skill as full manual photography? No. But the pictures are still pretty great. I just hope the general public realizes how different iphonography is from manual photography (read: b&w film photography, that's all I have experience with). I highly doubt people who take pictures on their smartphones develop the same kind of relationship with light as someone who is shooting film simply because smartphones don't have the same limitations as film. When you learn to work with the limitations of film it makes you a smarter photographer. I digress, but if this were to happen I truly believe it would have a noticeable impact on digital camera sales. Why buy a dedicated camera when you can have one that takes pictures that are almost as good on your phone.

If there was a smartphone with a leica lens on it and I had the spare cash I would buy it. It's great to have a hq portable camera for color, and there's nothing more portable than your phone.

MarkoKovacevic
02-26-2016, 04:57
Considering Huawei makes about the cheapest phones on the market, I'm not so sure.

They make both nexus phones, which are arguably the best android phones around today

willie_901
02-26-2016, 07:34
I knew someone who used a Huawei phone until last fall. The microphone was horrible, I could hardly understand them most of the time. They were always cutting out too. When they picked up an iPhone 6S, I they sounded as every other mobile phone caller sounded.

For Leica's sake I hope Huawei's camera technology is better than the rest of their phone's design and performance.

raid
02-26-2016, 08:20
I find this very useful to my needs. I have been using my iPhone 6 camera as an additional camera (to my M9) and it is a good photography tool. I couldn't resist emailing Oliver Kaltner about this issue.

Cameron
02-26-2016, 08:29
They make both nexus phones, which are arguably the best android phones around today

But it's doubtful that the Leica lenses will be on Nexus phones.

Cameron
02-26-2016, 08:29
why? Behind Samsung and apple Huawei is the world 3rd biggest handphone producer, the fastest growing one, seems like the most likely and promising producer to team up with.
Huawei so far has been offering premium products at cheaper price tags than it's competitors, I guess that the red dot will allow them to change that

Because it would be nice if Leica were on flagship smartphones.

Lauffray
02-26-2016, 08:32
When manufacturers go out of business we lament and cry, when they're doing business we wonder if this is the end. Come on guys

raid
02-26-2016, 08:37
CEO Kaltner emailed me back within 2 minutes that he cannot comment on this new venture at this time since it is new.

FrozenInTime
02-26-2016, 08:46
If they want to make a street photography phone:
They should mount the camera on a swivel so that the screen can be held at 45 degrees; i.e. normal texting/reading angle rather than the obvious 'taking a photo' perpendicular.
Such a swivel/edge mount would also lend it's self to supplementary lenses and action camera mounts ( where the camera can be mounted flat and the lens pointing forwards )

Nick R.
02-26-2016, 12:33
Is it a phone or something more along the lines of the Olympus Air A01?

Out to Lunch
02-26-2016, 12:46
As kuaan pointed out, Huawei is a giant diversified company and a strategic partnership between such a behemoth bulk seller and a quality lens producer could lead to interesting results.

Addy101
02-26-2016, 13:36
It is easy, Hu something wants to make more profitable phone, Leica wants more sales. And Apple will still outsell all of them.
Not true. Samsung has about 20% market share, Apple has almost 15% and Huawei has about 9% (source: IDC.com)

I knew someone who used a Huawei phone until last fall. The microphone was horrible, I could hardly understand them most of the time. They were always cutting out too. When they picked up an iPhone 6S, I they sounded as every other mobile phone caller sounded.

For Leica's sake I hope Huawei's camera technology is better than the rest of their phone's design and performance.
A sample of one isn't enough to say anything about Huawei phones. I know a lot of people who are happy with their Huawei phones. The latest top model is considered to be one of the best phones you can buy. Just look for reviews.

This is an interesting development. But if it is just the lenses.... Well, my Sony phone has a G-labeled lens, someone else mentioned Zeiss lenses on Nokia phones - I think it is inconsequential: these small sensors are less critical IMHO. But maybe they're gonna integrate phones and cameras, that would be an important development.

DougFord
02-26-2016, 13:42
I have a preference for cameraless flip-phones with large buttons :mad:

SuperUJ
02-26-2016, 13:57
If Huawei takes the same stance on customer privacy as Apple does, I will consider a switch. Until then, I am keeping my iPhone.

CEO Kaltner, please considered yourself warned --> (a 60 minutes report (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-great-brain-robbery-china-cyber-espionage/)). I hope you have some good IP lawyers. Best of luck!

John

seakayaker1
02-26-2016, 13:58
The photography capability of a smart phone has not been an interest to me and having a Leica lens in the phone would not move me to select one.

Baby of Macon
02-26-2016, 14:09
By the way, I've nothing against smartphone photography and have commented positively on Raid's iphone images. it the tool works for you, its as good as any other tool. It just doesn't float my boat - in the same way that I can't relate to streaming music services.

kuuan
02-26-2016, 16:33
Quite different where I live. I look closely at lot of smart phones...I do it because I am interested from an investing point of view.
I only see Samsung and Apple....
I do not personally know anyone with an Android phone, but they are out there, obviously.

hm..most Samsungs use Android and I read that android is the most used handphone OS and that by a very big margin: http://www.statista.com/statistics/266136/global-market-share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems/
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1

Jamie Pillers
02-26-2016, 16:38
Will the lens be Summilux, Summicron, Elmarit, or Tri-Elmar? :-)

Tim Murphy
02-26-2016, 17:14
I have a preference for cameraless flip-phones with large buttons :mad:

Doug Ford FTW!

I'm with you Doug, a cell phone is merely a convenience item and not a necessity.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

CameraQuest
02-26-2016, 19:25
Is this (http://petapixel.com/2016/02/25/leica-reinvent-smartphone-photography-chinese-telecom-giant-huawei/) the end of the world as we know it, or the start of a new one? Personally I think any move which keeps the red dot alive is a Good Thing, but maybe this has the potential to be much more than that. Multi-lens computational photography is just around the corner, and perhaps Leica is thinking along these lines.

- from the PetaPixel article linked above.

of all the great things Leica could do
of all the great products Leica could invent

Leica does the Lenny Kravitz special and high end smart phones

Well, bless their heart!

coelacanth
02-26-2016, 19:35
For the sake of Decisive Moment though, can you beat the cell phone camera? Ultimate stealth shooting with no sound, stay invisible and always there with you. Just saying. ;)

I personally wish they'd do more interesting things than co-branded phones and Lenny Kravitz Editions, but hey.

froyd
02-26-2016, 20:00

Does the IIIc have a rotary dial, or do you press the shutter release and ask for the operator?

willie_901
02-27-2016, 06:05
Smart-phones' miniscule sensor areas greatly reduce the role of lens optics in image quality.

So maybe they are planning to use a significantly larger sensor.

Or maybe [cynical comments deleted].

mcfingon
02-28-2016, 05:11
Does the IIIc have a rotary dial, or do you press the shutter release and ask for the operator?

No, you spin the wind knob rapidly to energize the magneto. Then the operator answers and asks who you want to connect to.

nightfly
02-28-2016, 07:30
Unless they have some multi-lens technology like the company Apple bought that will be going into the future iPhones, I would bet it's just the perceived value of the red dot rather than any really technical advantages.

Like em or not, smart phone cameras are getting better and better. The stuff I've seen on the dual lens technology allows for better quality images and optical zoom using one wide angle and one tele lens and some fancy computing.

I personally wouldn't bet against technology companies with tons of money and the smartest engineers in the world. I love my Leicas as dedicated picture taking tools but I can't see them adding much to the smartphone world.

farlymac
02-28-2016, 07:39
I'm hoping there is a rotary dial app for my new phone. BTW, I'm still carrying my old flip phone too. Not going to give up that easily.

PF

ferider
02-28-2016, 08:44
Quite different where I live. I look closely at lot of smart phones. Maybe 20-25 close enough to me to recognize brands, as I ride the subway. I do it because I am interested from an investing point of view.

I only see Samsung and Apple. I have never seen a Google phone in years of looking. Amazingly I still see a quite a few BB, maybe lawyers? Saw a new one today.

I do not personally know anyone with an Android phone, but they are out there, obviously.

You should travel more Fred :) Japan has mostly iOS devices, but India and China (half the world population, obviously) mostly Android devices. Here are the world statistics:

https://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical/Other-Technicalities/For-Reference/i-9pWhXhS/0/O/phoneOS.jpg

Regarding cell-phone photography, I remain amazed how many people I see today passionately taking and sharing pictures, who 20 years ago wouldn't have cared for photography. As much as I love using my cameras, the non-phone camera feels like a thing of the past. Good for Leica. And since most of the Huawai electronics (HiSilicon) are designed a couple of miles from where iPhones are assembled (in Shenzen), there certainly is no region-based reason for quality differences.

Roland.

kuuan
03-01-2016, 07:39
just saw that putting a lens called 'Leica' and 'Elmarit' in a handphone isn't anything new, but so far with a different partner, see number 8 in this list of the Top 10 Best Camera Phones For Photography 2015:
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-camera-phones-for-photography-2015-23050

kuuan
03-01-2016, 19:39
...I am rather a contrarian, the more people like something the less I want it. I am having enough trouble with Apple.

that's funny, I feel the same way, your 'more' referring to 'linking', not to people ;) many apple users being so certain that their's is better, the air of special and exclusive that apple fosters, makes the product less attractive to me.
I am sure that most android users don't care much about which OS they are using, don't choose it because they 'like' it but simply because it is more common, comes with a much larger selection of handphones, many of them at a much cheaper price.

Lss
03-01-2016, 21:41
many of them at a much cheaper price.
This is the key reason for Android's dominance today and tomorrow. Assuming you want more than you get out of the retail box, there are exactly two OS ecosystems that currently make sense to buy into (meaning for example that they have enough user and developer mindshare). Apple is the high-end, while Android is every price point. In most markets, Apple costs way too much for the average consumer. They may still buy one, as the phone is the device to have in modern world if you can only have one. Android is anyway bound to have the biggest market share globally. The only question is by how much.

lynnb
03-01-2016, 22:22

No, you spin the wind knob rapidly to energize the magneto. Then the operator answers and asks who you want to connect to.

You are both partly correct. It has two rotary dials, one for slow calls and one for regular calls. However there are only a limited number of numbers you can dial, plus something called B, which I think is for operator connection.

It works as a prepaid, in that you have to pre-load credit cassettes called "film" before you can make a call. The magneto-thingy charges the phone with the next credit. For some reason calls to most numbers last only a fraction of a second.

jschrader
03-02-2016, 00:49
I always thought the problem of phone-photography is the small sensor and diffraction, not so much the lens. But maybe they know a way to bypass fundamental laws of physics at Leica

nightfly
03-02-2016, 06:59
Images from the latest iPhones look pretty good to my eyes. I think as much as many purists who come from film and rangefinder backgrounds hate to admit (myself included), you can do a lot of digital trickery to overcome the limitations of small sensors and produce a good looking image if you throw enough brain and processing power at it.

I suspect the next true innovations in photography are going to come from this multi-lens, small sensor approach combined with computing power and that entire categories of cameras are going to disappear. Probably not full frame DSLRs and Rangefinders, but a lot of what currently lies between the smart phone and the full pro setups will no longer exist.

Something like this is going to be inside every smartphone:

http://www.gizmag.com/light-camera-combines-16-sensors/39764/

To bring it back on point, it would be great if Leica was a truly intimate part of this, as they were in popularizing 35mm film photography, but I suspect they are just lending their name to the innovations happening elsewhere to appeal to the upscale Asian market which loves branded luxury goods.

noisycheese
03-15-2016, 18:04
Smartphone photography leaves me cold but I can see why Leica may travel this path. Suffice to say i won't be traveling it with them though! :D

I could not care less about smartphone photography but I hope Leica makes a killing in this joint venture. The more financially sound Leica is, the better for we Leica connoisseurs.

If they come up with a smartphone that has a 24x36mm CMOS sensor and an M lens mount, I could conceivably develop some interest. :D

Keith
03-15-2016, 18:13
I have an HTC smart phone but it seldom leaves the house. If I'm traveling any distance I'll take it with me in case of emergency but generally I hate the thing and what it presents which is the breakdown of one on one communication between human beings, face to face.

I can't forgive the technology for that sorry!

kuuan
11-24-2017, 03:18
just bought a new handphone, Huawei Nova 2i, elsewhere also sold (or soon to be offered, it's a very new model) as Huawei Mate 10 light, Honor 9i and Maymang 6.

it doesn't say Leica on the lens, but its camera, or rather 4 cameras, dual front and back, and what they can do is one of its highlights, e.g. open aperture mode with bokeh generated by second lens, my first sample at ISO 400

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4528/38596648581_54dc7e5fb4_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21NDUWi)
First trial new handphone Huawei Nova 2i (https://flic.kr/p/21NDUWi) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

Generally technically it is amazing for that price point. Cost me just below 6 million Vietnamese Dong which equals to about 260 usd. in comparison an iphone x, here, would set me back usd 1500. Ridiculous comparison? Technical Specs of the midtier Huawei imo actually are comparable with those of the top apple iphone x, with 4GB Ram and octacore it's blasting fast, screen looks great: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Huawei-nova-2i,Apple-iPhone-X/phones/10682,10414?ft=2
sleek, similar looking body: http://consumer.huawei.com/my/phones/nova2i/

ColSebastianMoran
11-24-2017, 07:28
FWIW, I see significant and relevant photography innovations in the smartphone space.

To wit:
1. Fill flash that adjusts its color temperature to match the ambient light.
2. Two tiny lenses, software creates artificial bokeh in areas more distant than the prime subject

More basically, the small diameter lens is a game changer too. For DOF with flowers, product shots, etc., the tiny lens of my iPhone is about the best simple tool I've found. Seriously, to list a camera body here in classifieds, I always shoot it with my iPhone.

So, more than a prestige marque, I'm interested in the innovations to come.

ColSebastianMoran
11-24-2017, 07:30
just bought a new handphone, Huawei Nova 2i, elsewhere also sold ( or soon to be offered, it's a very new model ) as Huawei Mate 10 light, Honor 9i and Maymang 6.

it doesn't say Leica on the lens, but its camera, or rather 4 cameras, dual front and back, and what they can do is one of its highlights, e.g. open aperture mode with bokeh generated by second lens, my first sample at ISO 400

That's the kind of innovation I'm talking about. Nice sample shot, thanks!

Lux Optima
11-24-2017, 12:59
The picture is excellent! Well done!

Frankly, I am mostly interested in film photography right now and very glad that I do not have to think about if or when the next generation of digital cameras will make my own old and obsolete. Film ist it!

And I think that the future of mainstream amateur photography will remain digital. Facing the strategies of smartphone designers I do not have any doubt that in the very near future smartphones will all have about 30MP and produce superb pictures.

So I see my personal future in a hybrid way: Still shooting film and always having a (leica-)smartphone with me for the everyday shot I use to love...

Frankly, why should I need a conventional digital camera any longer if shooting film is greatest fun to me and using my cell to have a camera around all day would be normal?

kuuan
11-24-2017, 22:39
That's the kind of innovation I'm talking about. Nice sample shot, thanks!

The picture is excellent! Well done!..

thanks! yesterday night a friend of mine played with my new Huawei and took this photo of me, ISO 1250

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4543/38566801266_e58ef975a5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21L1Wnq)
me (https://flic.kr/p/21L1Wnq) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

(he was blown away when he found that this 260 usd phone is very noticable faster, snappier in operation than his iphone 6. He said, what the heck, for that price and for the camera possibilities he may just buy one)

for what it's worth, since I uploaded that snap of me to my flickr some 8 hours ago it has received 7500+ views and 30+ favorites, a lot because it was elected to be part of what flickr calls "explored".
Taken as jpeg, not as RAW which this phone can but I haven't tried yet.

my model Huawei Nova 2i elsewhere also is called Huawei Mate 10 lite. Now I found out that Mate 10 and Mate 10 pro are Huawei's latest top models, these have lenses that carry the Leica badge, mine doesn't. They are even higher specced phones with e.g. 6 GB Ram (!!) asf. (as compared mine has 4 GB, Samsung 8S has 4GB, iphone X has 3 GB. Huawei Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro seem not to be available here in Vietnam yet)

valdas
11-25-2017, 00:08
I have just checked - it is a bit more expensive here in Europe. 399€ for 64GB model and 799€ for 128GB, so basically on parity with iphone 6, but of course, iphone 6 is an old model already... Nice photos! That bokeh looks a bit artificial in transition areas, but for a smartphone that’s really good.

kuuan
11-25-2017, 00:57
I have just checked - it is a bit more expensive here in Europe. 399€ for 64GB model and 799€ for 128GB, so basically on parity with iphone 6, but of course, iphone 6 is an old model already... Nice photos! That bokeh looks a bit artificial in transition areas, but for a smartphone that’s really good.

Is that the Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro (both with Leica lens) or like mine, a Mate 10 lite?
Yes, I realized that they are selling (going to sell) more expensively in Europe. Mine that cost 220 Euro here in Vietnam is a 4 GB Ram / 64 GB model, extendable with a 256 GB micro SD

IQ, at the low light / high ISO situation it produced more punchy colors than the iphone 6 that I had compared photos with yesterday. Personally I may prefer those of the iphone. My friend, who carried his iphone, and who is not a photographer much preferred the images taken with the Huawei, above all for the "bokeh options". Me too. (18.000+ views 70+ favs for my portrait by now, ranking #43 in flickr explore) We both preferred the more snappy operation of the Huawei and its bigger screen that looks just as good. (I believe top iphone and Samsungs have an edge for video, stabilization for video, slow mo asf., should try a sample video soon)

valdas
11-25-2017, 02:06
399€ is Lite model.

kuuan
11-25-2017, 04:21
399€ is Lite model.

Just checked too, according to idealo.de the lite starts at Euro 319, the"pro" however starts at 799 (!) and somewhere I read that in the US only the pro model is available

raid
11-25-2017, 06:00
This is very interesting to me. The more we have good phone cameras, the better for photography. They can complement "real cameras" with on-the-go capabilities for travelers with a phone in the pocket. I am most impressed by the panorama mode in my iphone. The resulting images are very sharp and very large too.

The iphone 8 seems to have a very good camera. It has two lenses.

kuuan
11-25-2017, 20:24
This is very interesting to me. The more we have good phone cameras, the better for photography. They can complement "real cameras" with on-the-go capabilities for travelers with a phone in the pocket. I am most impressed by the panorama mode in my iphone. The resulting images are very sharp and very large too.

The iPhone 8 seems to have a very good camera. It has two lenses.

Obviously I have very little experience with high end smartphone and my enthusiasm must be understood under that light. iPhones, I read, have the dual lens since 7 plus. Huawei seems to have been pushing this technology and come up when comparing best dual lens phones. The latest top iPhone certainly should be superior in more than one way over this "top midrange" Huawei Nova 2i.

( It's tempting to be iphone bashing though: here in Vietnam anybody of status would have either an iPhone or a top Samsung while Chinese phones are a complete no-go, and best it must be imported from the west. Because of Apple protection often local SIM cards don't work, therefore many local iPhone users only can connect their precious "smart" phones through internet via wifi https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif )

this last photo is really embarrasing: this snapshot portrait of mine, after 30 hour on my Flickr, has been viewed 35.000+ times! That makes it my most viewed flickr photo, more often than any of 13.000+ photos taken with "serious" cameras and prime lenses, by "favs" it rankes 6th. And it was just trial with a modern handphone, and..not taken by me. :mad: Is it my irresistible smile? the fun? the new phone, the surprise it gave us had made us jolly and laugh.

camera is very impressive, I had hoped for that, what surprised me most is it's blasting speed, great display and the feeling of quality.

( noticed that this Nova 2i has 4GB RAM, latest iPhone, the 7 plus, 8, 8 plus and iPhone X, if I am not mistaken all have 3 GB, the top Huawei Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro 6 GB RAM. Looks to me as if the specs of this "top of midrange" phone are comparable to those of high end Samsungs and iPhone, some even looking favorably. The front and rear cameras of my Nova 2i have 16 and 13 MP, those of the iPhone X 12 and 7 MP, the top Huawei Mate 10 with the Leica lens got 20 MP )

v0sh
11-26-2017, 06:38
Funny, I ordered a Huawei some days before this thread popped up in my "New posts" search . It arrived yesterday evening and so far I like the camera.. but I only took some snaps of our cats so far, so no examples ;)

Lux Optima
11-26-2017, 07:31
We all love cats! Please show us your pics!!!

ColSebastianMoran
11-26-2017, 08:20

The iphone 8 seems to have a very good camera. It has two lenses.

Ditto, Raid, everything you say. I'm blown away by the images from my iPhone 7 Plus.

And, on a nice summer later afternoon at the Boston Public Garden, everyone was taking photos. Everywhere. Photography is alive and well, very much so, largely due to phone cams.

Pioneer
11-26-2017, 12:06
Photography is all about the image, but for too many people it is all about the tool that was used to create the image.

Of course this attitude is definitely not new. It has been going on for a very long time.

The miracle of photography is very much alive and well around the world.

raid
11-26-2017, 12:16
I got 2 days ago an iphone 8 plus. It has a 28mm lens as the standard lens, plus a 56mm lens ("portrait") for 12MP images. Just awesome.

james.liam
11-26-2017, 14:05
I got 2 days ago an iphone 8 plus. It has a 28mm lens as the standard lens, plus a 56mm lens ("portrait") for 12MP images. Just awesome.

Have had the iPhone X for 2 weeks; by far the best phone camera I've ever used; has optical stabilization of the long lens as well as the short.

As for Huawei, I have intentionally shied away from their items ever since serious security concerns arose about their devices back in 2012. IIRC, Google phones were/are made by them. I'll take a pass no matter who designed the optics. No disrespect to our blog friends from Red China. (Yes, I know the iPhone is made in the People's "Republic")

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/07/china-huwaei-cell-uk-national-security-cyber-surveillance-hacking

v0sh
11-27-2017, 05:22
We all love cats! Please show us your pics!!!

Here's a quick snap of one of my other pets. I have to admit I did not put much effort in neither the making of the shot, nor the PP. Most PP was done with the apps that came with the phone, only resize was done in PS.

https://i.imgur.com/85jmq2U.jpg

kuuan
11-28-2017, 01:26
Here's a quick snap of one of my other pets...

this looks good! what's the name of your model?

IQ of my portrait, besides the catching effect of the shallow dof, isn't all that good: many artifacts, over contrasty, over saturation

here a test shot done during day and low ISO

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4542/37978560004_e777e28baa_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZS33JG)
first daytime / low ISO test shot (https://flic.kr/p/ZS33JG) with Huawei Nova 2i by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

in comparison, Voigtlaender Super Wide Heliar f4.5/15mm on Ricoh GXR M ( the handphone sample is out of "phone" without any PPing, the GXR photo I had taken on another day as RAW had been edited, if I remember right mostly upping lows and downing highlights )

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4474/37739965666_ec5824c613_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZuXbXd)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/ZuXbXd) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

v0sh
11-28-2017, 05:56
this looks good! what's the name of your model?
thanks. It's the P9.

raid
11-28-2017, 07:39
phone images may require some apps to improve the final results.

BillBingham2
11-28-2017, 08:38
You are both partly correct. It has two rotary dials, one for slow calls and one for regular calls. However there are only a limited number of numbers you can dial, plus something called B, which I think is for operator connection.

It works as a prepaid, in that you have to pre-load credit cassettes called "film" before you can make a call. The magneto-thingy charges the phone with the next credit. For some reason calls to most numbers last only a fraction of a second.

My guess is that would make the Kodak Stereo Realist the Party Line camera?

B2 (;->

kuuan
11-28-2017, 08:53
phone images may require some apps to improve the final results.

I upped the lows a bit
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4526/26927567189_d04473af27_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/H2uPzP)
IMG_20171128_160842.lr (https://flic.kr/p/H2uPzP) by kuuan's lens tests (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuanslenstests/), on Flickr

the "bokeh" function well could use an app for better control. look e.g at the half sharp / half blurred face ( left behind "main face" ) in the first sample,
and at the fan to the right on the second ( as it is at has negative effect on the state of my stomack ;) of course there may be controls that help that I have not yet found / investigated! )

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4547/37815768455_54f19e00fc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZBDGtR)
IMG_20171125_192544 (https://flic.kr/p/ZBDGtR) by kuuan's lens tests (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuanslenstests/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4529/37986078624_313c4dc3b0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZSGzL5)
IMG_20171125_192551 (https://flic.kr/p/ZSGzL5)by (https://flic.kr/p/ZSGzL5)kuuan's lens tests (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuanslenstests/), on Flickr

valdas
11-28-2017, 09:35
the "bokeh" function well could use an app for better control. look e.g at the half sharp / half blurred face ( left behind "main face" ) in the first sample,
and at the fan to the right on the second ( as it is at has negative effect on the state of my stomack ;) of course there may be controls that help that I have not yet found / investigated! )

yeah, that "selective focus" seems to be all over the place :)

kuuan
12-01-2017, 06:45
yeah, that "selective focus" seems to be all over the place :)

Right! outcome often a bit weird, a bit towards the grotesque but also often with its own appeal.
A 35mm camera + lens combination hardly could create such narrow dof at this angle of view, it's 25mm equivalent and one can choose f0.95, the samples below are set at f1.4
the biggest boon of using a handphone that I had hoped for so far has been proving right, people react much more relaxed towards a handphone than towards a dedicated camera, even if I get much closer with it.

All three are cropped, quite obvious #1 and 2 with the handphone, #3 with M-Rokkor f2/40mm wide open on Sony A7

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4555/38044837944_f41eeb833d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZXTJRN)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/ZXTJRN) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4555/24888361708_f54268709b_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DVimQC)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/DVimQC) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4559/23896587987_c43a0e68a1_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CpEg4H)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/CpEg4H) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

Out of phone jpegs in "normal" mode with low ISO result in very (over) contrasty and saturated photos with impressive sharpness and dynamic range

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4554/24888326368_63f92b0915_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DVibkj)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/DVibkj) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4539/24888327598_d0a122ed1b_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DVibGw)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/DVibGw) by andreas (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/), on Flickr

May try to show later edited samples using RAW, otherwise I shouldn't bother you with too much with these here (unless anyone requests, e.g. a more controlled comparison at 24/25mm equiv.)

for anyone interested in the handphone pics please see the dedicated "flickr album": https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/albums/72157681339638803