PDA

View Full Version : Print Swap IV

T_om
01-01-2006, 14:14
It is a New Year and now is the time for a New Swap. :)

Time for Print Swap IV, The Legend Continues.

Go here for the guidelines: http://home.comcast.net/~seaskate/index_files/Page361.htm

Please note, by popular demand we are changing rule #6 for this swap only. This should open up some options and what the hell, everyone needs a change now and then. :)

I'll keep the signups going for the next week or two and give everyone a chance to sign up that wants to participate. As usual, after the drawing, I'll post the pair-ups here in the forum and send you an email.

Tom

PS: Joe, please "Unsticky" Print Swap III and "Sticky" this one instead.

taffer
01-01-2006, 14:19
Well, after finally having tried the online printing services of my lab I must say what the hell, I'm in ! :)

The change in rule #6 is cool, btw ;)

Oscar

Edit: mail sent

Dave H
01-01-2006, 14:51
E-mail sent. Count me in.

enochRoot
01-01-2006, 17:55
oh yeah! got here a bit too late for the last one!

RML
01-02-2006, 03:37
Count me in!

eric mac
01-02-2006, 05:05
Count me in also.

Eric

T_om
01-02-2006, 07:34
Eric,

I don't have your signup email yet. Did you send me an email per the guidelines posted in the link above?

Tom

24x30
01-03-2006, 08:30
I've send my mail ...

/rudi

Goodyear
01-03-2006, 08:37
Aaah!

I was intending to sit this one out. But that change in rule 6 is tempting me.

Tempting me.

No! Must not succumb!

enochRoot
01-03-2006, 08:41
come on...you KNOW you want to. DO IT. DO IT. (starsky and hutch)

T_om
01-07-2006, 17:06
Just a bump to give everyone a last shot at entering this round. I'll bump it again once tomorrow the do the drawing on Monday.

Tom

enochRoot
01-07-2006, 17:10
hey tom...this wasn't made sticky, was it? also...how many are signed up? just those appearing in this thread?

T_om
01-08-2006, 10:42
Yes, Joe made it a sticky the first day. Look in "Forums"->"RFF Photo Projects".

It is right there at the top.

As of now there are 13 people signed up. Signups will close tonight and I'll do the drawing tomorrow, Monday 9 Jan..

Tom

enochRoot
01-08-2006, 10:49
thanks tom! i didn't check that area (i didn't even know it existed). i think i was looking in the general discussions or something.

T_om
01-08-2006, 18:40
OK folks... last call.

Drawing will be tomorrow.

Tom

T_om
01-09-2006, 15:13
Sixteen participants this time! The drawing is done and here are the pairings.

Print Swap IV Pairings.
Listed with Name, Forum Name, and Email:

-----------------------------------
Jano Lukac <jano> jano AT portablehole.net
David Higginbottom <Dave H> DHiggi7952 AT aol.com
-----------------------------------
David Widom <olmanwompa> olmanwompa AT verizon.net
Oscar Reina <Taffer> oscar.reina AT gmail.com
----------------------------------
Chuck Bettis <cbettis> cbettis11 AT comcast.net
Ryan Wolfert <enochRoot> ryan AT funktiondesignhaus.com
----------------------------------
Allan Chen <kaiyen> allan AT kaiyen.com
Stanley H Wooding <Stan> stanleyw AT woosh.co.nz
---------------------------------
Doug Miles <Doug> milesd AT elltel.net
Remy Lang <RML> remy.lang AT gmail.com
---------------------------------
Eric Mah <Eric Mac> ericspaw AT hotmail.com
Brad Losh <bnjlosh> bradlosh AT yahoo.com
--------------------------------
Andrew Keedle <keeds> andrew AT numptyheads.com
Rudi Herrmann <24x30> rudi AT myherrmann.de
--------------------------------
Tom O'Meara <T_om> tg.omeara AT gmail.com
Don Dudenbostel <x-ray> yls11648 AT hotmail.com
-------------------------------
Jano Lukac <jano> jano AT portablehole.net
Robin Harrison <Robin Harrison> robin.harrison AT gmail.com
------------------------------

Everyone should have received an email from me with their partner's details.
If you did not, contact me ASAP.

Have fun guys!

Tom

PS: Edited to add a final pairing caused by an error on my part. Jano kindly stepped in to fill the extra spot needed. Thanks Jano!

T_om
01-14-2006, 16:23
Don is quick!

His "Peanut Seller" (see his gallery, username "x-ray") arrived a couple of days ago and looks great. I shipped mine on Friday.

Anyone else received/shipped yet?

Tom

jano
01-14-2006, 16:34

Pffft.. hahahahaha! :D :p

titrisol
01-19-2006, 09:39
I'll pass on this swap.... waiting for #5

taffer
01-19-2006, 09:41
Don is quick!

His "Peanut Seller" (see his gallery, username "x-ray") arrived a couple of days ago and looks great. I shipped mine on Friday.

Tom

I'm having mine ready :)

vincentbenoit
01-19-2006, 10:34
Count me in as well.
Vincent

24x30
01-26-2006, 13:08
I've sent mine yesterday.

/rudi

jano
01-27-2006, 13:34
Okay, I received Dave's three prints. The landscape oriented landscape is wonderful and I had a good laugh with the hip-shot of the stunt - felt like I was part of the action.

Thanks Dave!

My own prints to both Dave and Robin will leave early next week, I've been swamped with work and finally had a chance to order mine this morning (I don't have a darkroom at home).

Jano

jano
02-01-2006, 10:32
Prints left for the UK TODAY (feb 1) to both my swap partners :D

Sorry again for the delay.

enochRoot
02-01-2006, 13:00
yeah...tardy as hell here too. just got mine in the mail today. chuck's should be arriving soon, i would think. can't wait to check it oooouuuutttt.

Doug
02-23-2006, 02:09
My swap would be complete well before now except that my partner's print was damaged in transit and was sent back for replacement. This is the second swap, now, in which a photo has arrived damaged, both times packaged flat in a cardboard envelope.

The first time, a matted print mounted on foam-core was pretty well mangled. Perhaps the cross-country UPS driver had used it alternately as a seat-cushion and a frisbee. This time the damage was a near-puncture at about the center, and I could determine the print must be damaged from the depression on one side and "pimple" on the other. So I didn't even open the package, simply having it returned to sender. In sending mine this time I had used a mailing tube, arriving undamged.

I don't know if other print-swap participants have run into damage en-route, but it does seem to point up that it's best to package your work in expectation of rough treatment on the way!

jonasv
02-23-2006, 02:18
Damn - I missed this! Count me in next time...

T_om
02-23-2006, 11:45
Doug, sounds like you are having REALLY bad luck.

I have sent all my prints via the US Postal Service. The automatic package handling machines that UPS uses destroys small fragile parcels. The Post Office has been much gentler.

I mount all my swap prints on foam board,sandwich between cardboard and send them off. Even the ones shipped internationally have been arriving safely.

Tom

PS: I will be posting the initial info about Print Swap 5 in a week or so. Due to the favorable commentary and participant wishes, we may set aside rule 6 permanently. If anyone has feedback about that that has not already contacted me, please let me know.

Doug
02-23-2006, 13:10
Hi Tom-- Let me put in a good word for Rule 6. It may not be particularly important now, as the forum is primarily a rangefinder-camera culture. But I think we need to maintain that through encouraging rangefinder oriented participation. Otherwise, down the road a ways, RFF may have about as much to do with rangefinder cameras as Rangefinder Magazine does! That's not to say it won't be a vibrant discussion site, but the focus will have been diffused.

I'm reminded a bit about a hobby forum on AOL that I managed for some years. Due to popular demand we put up an "Off Topic" folder so that friends might discuss other topics while keeping the on-topic folders on topic. Over time, the Off Topic folder became by far the biggest and busiest folder, and members were asking for more Off Topic folders divided for different off-topics! So we eventually had a majority of participants who had little or no interest in the forum topic, they were just there for the discussions and getting into fights. The topic hobbyists mostly left because the others would spill over into the topic folders.

Whether this was good or bad is a matter of opinion and viewpoint. It was good for AOL in promoting on-line activity, but bad for those with interest in that hobby. I just hope that RFF will stay focused on RF photography.

Oh, BTW, this latest damaged photo came by mail from Europe, so we can't blame UPS this time. :)

jano
02-23-2006, 13:25
Whiooops, accidentaly posted my receipt of Robin's print in the print swap III :o

Anyway, I've received prints from both partners and they mine :)

24x30
02-24-2006, 14:14
Whiooops, accidentaly posted my receipt of Robin's print in the print swap III :o

And I answered there without looking to the headline :bang:

/rudi

taffer
03-10-2006, 02:21
Ooops, forgot to write down my experience here.

I was happily surprised to receive David's print on the same day I got my Leica M2 in the mail so I sort of dedicated a blog entry to it :D

http://singlecoated.blogspot.com/2006/02/youll-have-to-excuse-me.html

To make a long story short, the richness of tones and the beautiful textures in that great print made that something inside me was switched on and I'm now pursuing wet printing myself. Hope that I can therefore come with my own wet prints for the next swap ;)

Thanks David and Tom !

Oscar

enochRoot
03-10-2006, 08:28
hey tom...any word on print swap V?

jonasv
03-10-2006, 08:33
I would like to participate in number V as well!

kaiyen
03-10-2006, 11:29
this is terrible but...I _finally_ got my prints out to Stan Wooding today. I ran into a slew of problems, both techincal (clog from hell on my printer) and personal. Also, I just took 2 images in the last 3 weeks with which I am so happy that I wanted to send to Stan. So I waited a bit longer. He got me his prints a month ago.

I think I'm going to ban myself from the next one for being so bad about this one. I really enjoy these, though.

I found it liberating to not be RF-restricted, largely because I don't shoot RFs for all subjects. So some of my best work is not with RF cameras. But I'm otherwise agnostic abuot it. I like to think that my RF work isn't my worst, either :-)

allan

T_om
03-10-2006, 12:34
Guys, look for my post starting up Print Swap 5.

Allen, you get the "Wooden Spoon" award, previously held by Joe (Backally), for being the most slothful participant to date. :D My grandmother used to whack us grandkids with a wooden spoon when she needed to get out attention.

Anyway... as demonstrated in the thread above, STOP posting to this one now and let it die away so there will not be any confusion.

Go to the site listed in the new post for the rules and post in THAT thread if you like.

Joe, please "unsticky" this thread and "sticky" the new one.

Tom