PDA

View Full Version : OT: Favorite writing implement?

DougK
12-29-2005, 19:18
Yeah, I know, way off-topic, but what the heck, it's all in good fun.

We were having a discussion about this today at work during an idle moment, I forget how the topic came up, and it turned out to be a very interesting and lively discussion. Also, I'm curious what a poll here will show given the fondness many of us here have for older cameras and gadgets as well as other fine arts besides photography.

Myself, I prefer fountain pens. Someday, I'll get myself a really nice one even though most of my writing these days is done on a computer.

How about you?

dmr
12-29-2005, 19:22
If I have to write cursive, I prefer a felt tip pen, Flair type. I usually use a ballpoint, cuz that's what's around. I really prefer the computer for any serious writing. My handwriting is not the best, even though I am very dexterious.

JoeFriday
12-29-2005, 20:10
it depends on my purpose.. I prefer a standard #2 pencil for drawing or sketching out story ideas.. but for 'final copies' of anything, I like the feel of a Monte Blanc rollerball

other than that, who doesn't like a Sharpie? :)

back alley
12-29-2005, 20:14
are you talking about handwriting or writing as in creative writing?

handwriting - a nice sharp pencil with a rubberized stem.
creative writing - a computer - hands down

joe

ch1
12-29-2005, 20:23
Back in the mid-20th C. I was a kid attending Catholic grade and then high school.

In those days there were two requirements:

1) Uniforms including white shirts.

2) Fountain (or the then "modern alternative" of cartridge) pens.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY OF US KIDS RUINED WHITE SHIRTS WITH LEAKY FOUNTAIN/CARTRIDGE PENS???

As "collector" items go right ahead and start buying them. But it you are looking for a "user" tool - get a Bic.

That's what they finally let us do way back when! :D

Fedzilla_Bob
12-29-2005, 20:31
Tombow pens- a brand out of Japan. Besides that, an HB pencil. Better yet - Eberhard Faber used to make pencils called "Othello." Very soft very dark leads. Great to draw with too!

Bob H

SteveM(PA)
12-29-2005, 20:48
I like things that eclipse their lowly stations, like feds, and I certainly haven't mastered a .19 bic yet, but until then I really like my Aurora Thesi ballpoint, done by Marco Zanuso in 1972. I saw it at the moma as a boy and wanted to take it home instantly, just to have a piece of the moma. I just recently got a box of refills for it from Italy. Each refill is packaged in a little box that is carefully fashioned into the shape of the Thesi pen, it's totally wild.

DougK
12-29-2005, 20:52
Interesting distinction Joe, thanks for bringing it up. I was thinking of the question in terms of if you have to record information, be it a short note or a novel, what's your favorite tool for the job?

Brett, I love Sharpies (especially the new retractable, extra-fine point ones) and a good rollerball too, guess I should have set it up as a multiple-choice poll :).

ErnestoJL
12-29-2005, 20:52
If I have to write a lot, the computer hands down , however...

To start a sketch or an any technical drawing I usually use a Pilot 0.5 mm retractable pencil.
For serious writing, I allways use a pair of very old fountain pens made in Germany by Rotring, the so called "Tintenkuli". It is by far the best ever fountain pen I had together with the cartridge Parker 45 I´ve used for secondary and high school (unfortunately stolen).

Ernesto

jan normandale
12-29-2005, 20:53
About 10 years ago , I had a very good year. I know if that happens to buy something 'permanent' like a camera, a stove, a few cases of wine... in my dreams now. This time I went into a specialty shop that deals solely in 'writing instruments and supplies' I waded thru Mont Blanc, Dupont, Parker, Pelikan etc etc. finally I tried a black enamel w gold clip Waterman Le Mans. Smooth platinum tip and it just glided over paper. No pushing it just skated as fast as I could go. Bought it and it's still with me.

Once in a while I pull it out load it up and write, mostly my journals. I think I understand the Chinese passion for calligraphy!

GeneW
12-29-2005, 21:03
Although I use a keyboard most often, my favourite writing instrument is a fountain pen. One further qualification. Fountain pen + yellow legal pad.

Gene

richard_l
12-29-2005, 21:19
A cheap Shaeffer cartridge fountain pen.

Jason808
12-29-2005, 21:25
For journals & taking notes: a fountain pen. Good ones don't leak. I have a Sheaffer Balance 14k that is broken in perfectly. My daily hardware is a Lamy Safari Aluminum in fine point.

However when I write press releases and articles I have to use a computer.

nwcanonman
12-29-2005, 21:31
For every day use a good Cross ballpoint can't be beat.
For personal letters to close friends and family, I use a medium point Waterman fountain pen (great for art doodling too).

doubs43
12-29-2005, 21:33
I used to own a Reform roller ball pen that I loved but it went missing. It was typical German craftsmanship of solid brass with red enamel and gold tips/clip..... a beautiful pen. I can't replace it as Reform no longer makes pens under their own name. Or so I'm told.

My present pen is a Waterman gel pen and I prefer the medium tip blue cartridge. It's a very nice pen but I'd still like to have my Reform back!

I've inherited two classic and beautiful fountain pens from my father that will never be disposed of. One is a Parker green Tortous-shell pen that he was given in 1929 as a graduation present and the other is a Schaeffer fountain pen from the same period.... a birthday present. Both are highly collectable and worth a fair amount but they will be passed on to my children.

Walker

nwcanonman
12-29-2005, 21:38
How many of you are old enough to remember Bic pen's first TV ads? They shot the pen out of a .30-.30 rifle THROUGH a wooden board (2"x4"?).
Well, being a teenager I put a new Bic into the barrel of my air rifle and fired it into a 2"x4" pine board.
BROKE that pens tip into pieces! :D
Does anyone know about tonadoes putting straw through a tree. It's the "speed" not the straws toughness. Same with the Bic pen, it would seem. :p

enochRoot
12-29-2005, 21:46
paper mate felt-tips in red, blue, and black. can't go wrong. and then sharpies for larger jobs.

Gordon Coale
12-29-2005, 21:48
I've recently been converted to wood sheathed pencils. There are pencils and then there are *pencils*.

portable analog storage device (http://www.electricedge.com/greymatter/archives/00006425.htm)

And good notebooks, too.

richard_l
12-29-2005, 22:31
I've recently been converted to wood sheathed pencils. There are pencils and then there are *pencils*.I used Berol Black Warrior pencils for scribbling math equations and such. When Mirado took over making the Black Warriors, the quality seemed to drop quite a bit. I tried several other wood sheathed pencils, but nothing was as good as the old Berols, so I finally settled on a 0.7mm Pentel mechanical pencil.

schmoozit
12-29-2005, 22:35
other than that, who doesn't like a Sharpie? :)

Me. I hate the Sharpies I have; yuck! Maybe I'm spoiled by the nice pens they sell here in Japan. Seriously, most pens here are much better than the pens most people use in the States. So much so, in fact, that i get comments from Japanese saying that they hate American pens. I've learned why.

richard_l
12-29-2005, 22:50
.....other than that, who doesn't like a Sharpie? :)The problem is that Sharpies are anything but permanent, as artists who use them for drawing and painting keep finding out, much to their chagrin. A pen which uses a fugitive ink should not be called a "permanent marker."

Tim
12-29-2005, 23:52
A silver Cross fountain pen.

Although I am permanently glued to a computer keyboard for work, even there when I need to think on paper I reach for pen and paper.

It's hard to do mind maps with little ideas all linked together in random ways on a computer......

Kim Coxon
12-30-2005, 00:31
A Parker Sonnet Fountain Pen.

Kim

markinlondon
12-30-2005, 04:26
Currently a Pentel "graphgear 1000" .7mm mechanical pencil loaded with B leads for the notebook, a Sharpie for marking up film cassettes, a chinagraph pencil for marking up contact prints and any old pencil lying around the darkroom for those miscellaneous marking and notetaking tasks.

Incidentally "le vrai Moleskine n'existe plus" as a stationer famously told Bruce Chatwin (a Leica user) but the modern "copies" are fine notebooks.

Mark

peterc
12-30-2005, 05:39
I use a Sigma 4 in one ... fine point pen, mechanical pencil, highlighter and PDA stylus all in one.

Peter

kzim56
12-30-2005, 05:52
If you saw my handwriting you would know why I prefer my Mac whenever possible. Any fine writing instrument would be wasted in my hand. There are untrained monkeys that have nicer handwriting than mine.

Karl

Todd.Hanz
12-30-2005, 06:00
I have tried many and always return to the old standby, Red Crayola on a Big Chief tablet . Mine comes in a nice box with 7 other colors to use based on your mood.

BTW, I eat paste.

Alec
12-30-2005, 06:10
As I have a nomadic professional lifestyle I tend to use the cheapest ball pens, lest they get lost/stolen or leak...
And I found that Bic, a French corporation, makes both the cheapest and most pleasant to me - "Bic Cristal"
http://www.bicworld.com/inter_fr/bdd/product_writing.asp?product_id=41
(free ad)

Otherwise, the Walmart corporate way of using only "free" pens (given by suppliers, customers, hotels...) suits me quite well!

I don't have the same reasoning regarding timekeepers, though, but a. they are attached to one's wrist and b. I won't go off off topic.

markinlondon
12-30-2005, 06:17
BTW, I eat paste.

Oh, don't I know, Todd. I live with a bookbinder and sometimes paste is all we have in the fridge :)

Mark

Gabriel M.A.
12-30-2005, 06:18
Writing implement? Any which allow concoctions of dark fluid on prepared rations of dried organic fiberous pulp in different degrees of serotonin-deploying levels while it glides in a Newtonian fashion.

Plotting a hierarchical layout would prove most biased. It would not be logical.

Doctor Zero
12-30-2005, 06:24
I'm amazed to see so many people using fountain pens!
Then again, considering at least my friends think I'm a total n*t for using the camera I do, maybe this is part of the image. I've a pocket watch to match - and if ever I need glasses, I'll be in the market for some pince-nez.

What ho, jolly good old chap, fine weather we're having! ;)

I have two Rotring fountain pens. One got me through my end-of-school exams and looks as though it got me through a minor war somewhere. The other got me through my degree-exams and is equally battle scarred. I've another, cheapy-one at home, too.

Incidentally: in school, we were taught to write with a fountain pens! As a left-hander, that meant coming home every day with a nice blue left hand. Not much has changed since.

SteveM(PA)
12-30-2005, 07:14
And I found that Bic, a French corporation, makes both the cheapest and most pleasant to me - "Bic Cristal"

The Bic corporation was originally the "Bich" corporation, but shortened to "Bic" in the 1940's, because there was fear that Americans would mispronounce the name. And there is of course the story of how Jerry Seinfeld persuaded Bic to produce a batch of traditional Crystals without the hole in cap, just for him. The hole had been put there to prevent choking.

I'm also partial to the quad-color bic, so my other MC's and I can keep our lyrics straight :D

Bobbo
12-30-2005, 07:48
I keep a Dixon Ticonderoga Yellow No. 2, rollerball, and a black sharpie (fine tip on one end, ultra fine on the other) in my camera bag...no real favorites, just what does the job

thmk
12-30-2005, 08:32
For everydays notes I take a mechanical pencil. They are much more convenient as ballpoint pens if I have to write fast while taking phone calls.

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

dmr
12-30-2005, 09:55
BTW, I eat paste.

ROFL! :)

Not to show my true age, and not to admit that I ever did it {blush} but the school paste Way Back When was more like a peppermint frosting than it was any kind of effective adhesive. :)

They *HAD* to have flavored it that way, intentionally, to encourage kids eating it.

(How did I ever get off on this tangent? ...) :)

Pherdinand
12-30-2005, 10:06
fountain pen forever! But i didn't use one for ages:(

DougK
12-30-2005, 11:23
I have tried many and always return to the old standby, Red Crayola on a Big Chief tablet . Mine comes in a nice box with 7 other colors to use based on your mood.

BTW, I eat paste.
I was wondering who the first person would be to mention crayons, in fact, I almost put that as an option on the poll.

smiling gecko
12-30-2005, 12:20
but my favorite ?? i carry and use a middlin' size mont blanc fountain pen, a retro 51 rollerball, a parker "nasa space pen" (along with my pocket change), a parker stainless steel ballpoint and lately a sharpie with teal/turquoise color "ink".

if i have my old lands end canvas satchel with me...the plot/ink /lead thickens. lurking within...a 40's vintage parker mechanical pen w 1.0 size lead, a silver cross pen & pencil set, another retro 51 rolllerbal, like alec & langdon a couple of tres chic bic ,a flat carpenters pencil, an assortment of 2,3,4, hard and soft lead sketch pencils, some charcoal sticks in a box, sharpies -assortment of colors & point widths, a well used pilot mr. grip, a black sensia roller ball, a beat-up rotoring, high lighters, a couple of #2 pencils,etc,etc

i don't need a cartier diabolo, i don't need a cartier diabolo, i don't need a cartier diabolo, i
don't........hah! what does need have to do with anything??? i don't need a leica cl, i don't need a leica cl, i don't.... got to go, i hear my wife !! wheh, that was close ...

todd, i like the crayon thing !!! color and texture and aroma and memories...will have to try it

happy new year to you all !!! kenneth

hasta la vista, adieu, dasvidanya ,fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen, and later y’all

"...patience and shuffle the cards" miguel cervantes
"nothing can be learned" herman hesse
"everybody knows everything" jack kerouac
"some memories are realities and better than anything" willa cather
" doo-wacka doo, wacka doo" roger miller
"we have met the enemy and they is us !" pogo

aizan
12-30-2005, 12:39
i like that one paper mate pen with the blue plastic bottom half and chrome top half. classic!

vha
12-30-2005, 12:52
huum, let me see ..

In one of my camerabags i have a Fisher Bullet, since they dont freeze, for agenda writing i use a Parker roller-ball (but they freeze fine at -25 Celsius, and all the ink gets out at once)
Moleskine use i prefer a Staedtler mars lumograph 100 pencil either F or H.
Work use (writing ugly on the customer envelopes for the lab) i use a fountain pen or more likely, what ever I have borrowed and forgot to return ;)

vha

ray_g
12-30-2005, 13:27
I guess fountain pens and classic cameras do go hand in hand, based on the polls :)

I have a few in a nice wooden display case. One of my favorites for writing in notebooks, planners, journals etc is the Parker 51 with medium or fine nib. The Sailor 1911 with music nib is another favorite. My daily pens are either a middleweight montblanc classic with broad nib or a Pelican M600 med nib.

Jocko
12-30-2005, 13:38
Rotring or Pilot 0.1 fibre tip drawing pens - mainly because I draw rather than write. Are these "sharpies"? What I do know is that ball points make me functionally illiterate, producing pathetic block-capital scrawl.

Which reminds me of a story of cameras and pens which others might find intriguing....

I had a good older friend, now passed away, Bob, an officer in the Indian Army Gurkhas, who fought in North Africa and Italy from 1940 to 1945. In 1942 he "found" a Leica II in the wreckage of a half-track and took photographs continually for the rest of the war. Bob loved India - perhaps rather surprisingly he was a passionate admirer of Gandhi - and felt he had a duty to record the experiences of Indian soldiers fighting against fascism. It was a story he believed was being willfully ignored - when I knew him (in the 80s) he was very scathing about the "professional" combat photographers he had met. Anyway, in 1945 he was home in London for the first time in 5 years. He was there for just one day, en-route for India via Charing Cross.

Gazing in the shops as he walked down the Strand, he saw something so fantastic that he knew he had to have it - something which no-one else would have, expressing the technological promise of a new and better world. He popped into a camera shop and sold his Leica, scraped together all the money he had and paid £25.00 for a ballpoint pen.

A few moments later he regretted the trade, but was now on the train, bound for the coast. He still missed his camera 40 years later; I remember his excitement when I showed him my FED and memories flooded back. But what was much worse was that one day in the 60s he returned home from work to find that his wife had thrown out all of his negatives and prints. There was just one picture left, which he kept in his wallet. After all, she explained, who wants old photographs?

They later divorced.

dostacos
12-31-2005, 20:23
computer or palm pilot work

pencil .7mm lead mechanical when pencils are needed

pen FOUNTAIN [for my patient chart notes]

Issy
12-31-2005, 20:31
Pilot G-TEC-C4 0.3 or 0.4mm gel pens... I either bring them back with me when I travel to Japan for work, or order them from Canada, because they are not sold here in the states.

eli griggs
12-31-2005, 22:34
Right now I really like my Hero 329 for an everyday fountain pen. It's a good, dependable writer that cost more to ship than buy. Bargain stalking Chinese f. pens with shipping on eB*y makes for some late night, low cost fun that’s hard to beat if you’re sitting at the pc all night long ‘cause you can’t sleep. The stamps from China and foreign parts elsewhere are a nice little bonus too!

Cheers

nomade
01-01-2006, 03:27
A wooden pencil, a classic feel ;)

rbiemer
01-03-2006, 19:38
Dixon Tichonderoga #3 for writing. Rotring mechanical pencil for sketching/drawing.
If I need to use a pen, I have a Waterman rollerball I like pretty well. At work, I mostly use the Sharpie chisel tip. I've yet to find a fountain pen that writes well for me.
Rob

bobofish
01-15-2006, 05:02
I stayed out of this thread for the most part, due to a recent loss *sob* of a favorite writing instrument, that sadly succumbed to the tests and rigors of time. *sob* the implement will remain nameless, but was shiny, italian, and nibbed. Alas it was the irreplaceable nib that gave up the goose. *sob*

On the bright side of life however, my wife finally found the long misplaced waterman fountain pen that was given to her as a gift a couple years ago by a friend that worked at a pen store. She doesn't have any appreciation for fountain pens (philistine!) so I'm of course hoping that the afore-mentioned pen will make its way into my stable. The damned thing was missing for so many months that we thought it had sprouted legs and went off to South America to start some kind of mini-rebellion.

It is difficult for me to restrain my comments on a subject like this, because I have something almost akin to a fetish for pens and good mechanical pencils....I will not wax rhapsodic...I will not wax rhapsodic....

As a general rule, for the act of writing, I greatly prefer fountain pens. I have a near unexplainable love of Montegrappa's, especially some of their special editions, like the Geo for example. For general purposes, and specifically for sketching, etc. I like mechanical pencils...I have had literally hundreds over the years. At the moment I have a Koh-i noor .9mm that I really like, I've had it for close to 10 years, and it's never failed me once. I've had times when I thought it was stolen, times when it was lost for months at a time, but then found to great jubilation and near tears. I even had an interesting incident when that same little Koh-i-noor was held for ransom, but a friend was able to rescue it in truly James-Bond-ian fashion. All I can safely say about it is that a dark night, a bottle of vodka, and the help of some particularly attractive women was required to save my poor pencil.

Once, in fourth grade, I had an arch-enemy (curse his name!) who had a similar pencil fetish to my own. We had an ongoing arms-race of mechanical pencils, and neither of us would let the other have the better pencil. Constant purchases ensued, hap-hazard trips to the stationary store were common, and secret promises to the clerks behind the register were not unknown. ...

One day he came to school with a particularly lovely little Staedtler, that had just come into the store. Not wanting detente in our little battle, of course I had to get one too...I went to the store that afternoon, and picked up one in red, and one in blue. (haha, that would show him!)
The next day when I showed him my excellent prize of TWO such pencils, he accused me of stealing his (his had been green, the jackass) and told the teacher that I was a thief. Of course his "bloc" of allies backed up his story that I had taken the pencil out of jealousy. A great amount of drama ensued, but eventually I was able to prove my innocence. Virtue was restored, and he was made to eat his shame in silence. I had the upper hand, and never again did he out match me in the pencil arms race. That day was his Waterloo, his Stalingrad, the *******!

Then of course only a philistine would use a highlighter in a well-bound Plato manuscript; it's only China markers and Prisma-colors for me. At one point in my studies, each related idea had to be highlighted in the same color; this created texts that looked more like Persian miniatures than philosophy texts, but were very very easy to study with. Fortunately that period only lasted for a while, because ittook me longer to highlight than to read.

Ok. I must shut up.

Dracotype
01-28-2006, 22:56
Fascinating! Who'd a thunk it. But then again...

Yes, another fountain pen user. Do not know the brand, etc. But the one thing I do know is green ink! I don't know why but I love the green ink. It (the pen) is great for sketching too, which I only discovered kind of recently.

For other stuff, like school notes and such, I use a .7 mechanical pencil or a Pilot technical pen. But what I like to use for my calc and diffy q notes is an H pencil. There is nothing like a sharpened H pencil with its fine wispy lines, and faint appearance.

Drew

amateriat
01-29-2006, 17:18
Damn, you guys can be troublemakers...

Pencils? Pencils? My all-time fave is Faber-Castell's Velvet #2 (dark grey-green). Best wooden pencil I ever used. Have only a handful left, and keep them under close guard. Don't think they make them anymore.

Pens? My tastes here are more modern then Baroque, so they're all Lamy - a pair of their best FPs (Persona and 2000) which are wonderful and nearly-daily writers, as well as a very well-worn Swift roller and a pair of 2000 ballpoints (single and four-color). Might buy the 2000 pencil when the F-C pencils a used up, although there's a Rotring Tri-pencil I've misplaced somewhere. Not into collecting - just as I am with cameras, if it won't get used, it doesn't get bought.

But enough about writing "instruments": let's talk about Clairfontaine paper...

- Barrett (fearing the first person to mutter about 1960s-70s chronographs)

Stephanie Brim
01-29-2006, 19:00
Before someone stole it, I had a Cross Morph pen. I loved that thing. I'm pondering getting a new one.

pvdhaar
01-29-2006, 22:34
Ok, I'll bite. Wooden pencil. Brand doesn't really matter, as long as they're halfway decent. Never leaks, can write upside down, perfect for mixing text and diagrams in my logbooks..

fgianni
01-31-2006, 08:53
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY OF US KIDS RUINED WHITE SHIRTS WITH LEAKY FOUNTAIN/CARTRIDGE PENS???

I have been using a red/black Pelikan 800 for the past 3 years, and I ruined zero shirts, it simply does not leak!

The Montblanc Meistertruck I had before on the other hand...let's say I am not going to buy another Montblanc ever.

tetrisattack
01-31-2006, 09:22
Why am I not surprised that the writing utensil of choice for the rangefinder crowd is a fountain pen? We all just love our uncommon, classic technologies, don't we? :)

I myself am equally infatuated with my fountain pen, and my treat to myself this Christmas was a Lamy Safari, which is a fairly cheap $25-something pen. I'm not totally sold -- I've this cheap officemax parker, the nib on which I've been "polishing" for two years, so it writes more smoothly than the Lamy -- but it's certainly a stylish, pretty little thing.

It fills me with glee when my fellow Latin students desire to quickly make a mark in their books (calling attention, for example, to which cases are affected by i-stem adjectives), only to reach for my pen and be mystified. "I, ... I don't think I can use your pen," the TA told me once. That's right, TA, remember to respect my awesome pen skills as you grade my vocab quizzes.

A similar scenario is when people at parties pick up my rangefinder and tell me that the focussing is broken.
"You're not looking through the lens, you have to line up the white box in the middle to focus," I say.
"What the hell's the point of that?" is the paraphrased reply.

I suppose that's a valid question.

ZorkiKat
01-31-2006, 09:52
Like what ray_g said, classic writing implements and classic cameras go hand in hand. I like fountain pens, and last Christmas, I received a nice old-fashioned metal pen holder with nib. Its the pen which needs to be dipped first in an inkwell to write.

DougK
01-31-2006, 10:53
I just bought myself a glass pen (the dip-into-ink kind) from Barnes and Noble on a whim. I love it dearly; it holds a page's worth of ink per dip and writes VERY smoothly with a nice fine line. Maybe I'll bring it to work just to amaze/confound my co-workers (along with the slide rule and abacus already on my desk... and yes, I know how to use them).

Now all I need is a view camera to go with the rest of my obsolete toys. :D

pwnewport
03-05-2006, 13:41
Tombow pens- a brand out of Japan. Besides that, an HB pencil. Better yet - Eberhard Faber used to make pencils called "Othello." Very soft very dark leads. Great to draw with too!

Bob H

My absolute favorite drawings pencils, if you can call them that, were round sticks of solid graphite the thickness of a pencil, that had been covered with thick black lacquer. You could sharpen them like a regular pencil, and yet produce almost any kind of line/shading effect you might want. I don't know what they were called, I bought them in France but I have never seen them here. I had a couple I used for years until they wore down to a stub.

Thanks to everyone responding this thread. Typical of the kind of thoughtful relationship to tools which seems to characterize RFF folk.

Cheers,
Peter

eli griggs
03-05-2006, 15:17
Peter you can find those graphite pencils at art stores, such as Pearl Paint, Utrech, Jerrys Artarama or Dick Blick. Here is one link to woodless pencils; http://www.dickblick.com/zz204/71/

You should also try collage book stores if they offer drawing lessons.

Cheers,
Eli

Trius
03-05-2006, 15:28
My favourite was the Mont Blanc Quickpen. I say was because it's no longer made. I managed to lose it, but even if I had it I don't know if the refills are still made. It was a rollerball, and the smoothest writing I've ever experienced. I miss it.

Uncle Bill
03-14-2006, 14:48
I have a little side hobby collecting fountain pens. I think one of my all time favourites is the Pelikan M800 with a fine or medium nib. Holds lots of ink and writes a long time.

Bill

Mohan
03-14-2006, 15:54
I love my old school pen, a stainless steel parker fountain pen, ive had it since i was 13 or 14 (actualy not that long in the scheme of things).

SteveM_NJ
03-15-2006, 09:24
Foutain Pens !? ---
Hey, you guys just got me into Rangefinders, and now you are going to get me into another "oldie" - Fountain Pens.... going to have to try that next.

Please, PLEASE - nobody ask what is your favorite collector "car" or "Plane" etc, - i'll be broke for Sure.

laugh...

Steve

Stephan
03-15-2006, 09:40
My favorite writing implement is a fine BIC disposable ball-point pen. Dirt cheap, easy to come by and write well.

WDG
03-15-2006, 10:10
Parker 51 Special, black & Lustraloy (stainless-steel).

I pretty new to fountain pens, but I enjoy the idea of using a pen manufactured nearly a decade before I was born, and it's beautifully sleek. As close as I've been able to pin it down, made about 1953. Writes like new, and I find I rather like the fiddling involved with maintaining it (I didn't think I would.) Plus, I've managed to polish it up and refinish the cap so that it now looks nearly new. I'm sure there will be others in the months to come. Oh, good God... I've discovered yet another "Aquisition Syndrome". :D

A rollerball would probably be my second (and likely more practical) choice.

amateriat
03-15-2006, 21:12
Foutain Pens !? ---
Hey, you guys just got me into Rangefinders, and now you are going to get me into another "oldie" - Fountain Pens.... going to have to try that next
Not much into "oldie" FPs: I like my new-ish Lamy Persona and 2000 FPs just fine, thanks. And I really like Pelikan's new Picadilly Circus FP and roller ball pens – actually the first FP since my Lamys that I'm rather tempted to acquire (and at a non-extortionate price at that).

Please, PLEASE - nobody ask what is your favorite collector "car" or "Plane" etc, - i'll be broke for Sure.
We're on safe ground there – I posess neither a driver's nor pilot's license. But let's talk about fine, steel-framed road bicycles... :D

- Barrett

NoTx
03-16-2006, 23:26
Waterman Expert II was my standard carry for years... lost in a quick exit from a hotel when they announced there would be a possible 3' of snow dropping... and I bolted from the area. News, stop to visit family at to locations, pack and leave... 45 mins.

Lost my wifes hiking boots to...

Duncan Ross
04-13-2006, 10:05
Pop-a-point pencil!

Why are you looking at me like that?

SolaresLarrave
04-22-2006, 19:58
This poll started in Dec. 29, 2005? I didn't get to vote! :eek:

If I had, my vote would have gone to fountain pens.

Rollerballs? To me? Sorry, no way...

I'm a fountain pen man.

Parker's my favorite brand. Waterman comes second (I only have one, alas) and then Sheaffer (two, one surviving from my high school days). My usual tools are one of my three Parker 45 (one black, one blue, one in brushed steel), or my Parker Sonnet, my Parker 75 and then my Sheaffer Prelude in gold (writes gloriously! ;) ).

My one and only Waterman was so pleasant to use, I simply forgot the other pens. Then I put it back in my wooden fountain pen box for too long. It's back on the saddle again! I use it, just as my other pens, to doodle things, to write outlines that later will become articles or other things, and to grade students' papers and record grades in my gradebook.

These were my pens when a gift came from a fellow RFF member: he sent me a Cross and two Sheaffer Targas he no longer used. The Cross... is a pleasant, sleek pen! About the Targas... no luck finding a converter or at least cartridges (and the Sheaffer stuff I have just won't fit them). But they're clean, in case I find something... some day.

My coolest looking pen was a Parker Falcon. It was stolen, so I bought another... and got stolen again. However, thanks to evil-Bay, I found one and has also come out with me. It's brown, it's gorgeous, and it's also discontinued... :(

I use them most of the time (after losing one of my 45s, I made a principle of not taking them out unless my shirt has a pocket... although I can always put one in my bag). I also wash them in cold water every time I change ink colors (my wife gave me a set of ink bottles that looks like a rainbow).

Heck... did I say I'm enjoying life?

clarence
04-22-2006, 20:41
Oh if only I'd seen this thread earlier. I'm looking for a fountain pen! Need a heavier one as I don't like the feel of my really cheap Parker Vector. it's like a point-and-shoot. There's simply no heft to it, and you really do need that heft to make writing so much smoother and easier.

I'll trade film for a heavy pen. Fine nib, please!

Clarence

smiling gecko
04-23-2006, 03:11
...uurrghh, like stick in loose dirt!! big problem with rain/wind/mastadons/etc- got archival issues...maybe try scratching on cave walls...i grok that might last longer.

(i think a character from gary larson's "far side" just channeled through me...yeah, that's it...)

hasta la vista, adieu, dazvidanya, fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen, and later y’all
kenneth
"some memories are realities and better than anything" willa cather
" doo-wacka doo, wacka doo" roger miller
"we have met the enemy and they is us !" walt kelly (pogo)
“a mans cartilage is his fate” phillip roth

Richard Black
04-23-2006, 04:28
I have a collection and use most of them all the time. I think for writing the Watermans are my favorite; however, I can't discount the Lamy Safari. It is a joy to use. The Japanese fountain pens are less pleasing to use and I can't figure out why. But the ink just flows so smoothly from the Watermans it is unbelieveable. I don't have a MB and haven't use any and am curious to know if they write better or it just the name. I don't mean to impune their name by any means. Just curious.

PeterL
05-10-2006, 04:17
I recently dropped the Waterman fountain pen that I got from my parents 10 years ago. Immediately bought a new one and one that was much more expensive than I had planned: A Graf von Faber-Castell (http://www.graf-von-faber-castell.com/docs/GvFC_index.asp?id=14007&domid=1010&sp=E&addlastid=&m1=13959&m2=13967&m3=14007) . It's amazing and it's everything that fountain pens are so much loved for: it writes like a wonder, it's unnoticable in my hand and it's just plain beautiful. Exquisite !

Peter.

bobofish
06-03-2006, 02:10
Well, at long last I can add to my stable, a very very nice, near mint S.T. Dupont Orpheo Vertigo fountain pen.

I got it for an AWESOME price about a week ago, and quite possibly, it may be the single finest thing I own.

Not my first choice in fountain pens, but very nearly so. Someday I hope to add a couple Montegrappa's and a Pelikan or two to the briefcase.

sf
06-03-2006, 02:15
odd that this poll is closed. Why?

My favorite writing implement would have to be a nice keyboard. Horrid to say that, I know, but I can really write about as fast as I can talk - or faster at times - and it is 100% legible, which cannot be said for my famous scribblings. I started typing my homework in 1st grade on a huge desktop computer with a monochrome display. It was the first word processor for consumer use, I think, for the IBM platform.

Consequently, I never really learned to write. When computers came into schools, they took us out of writing class and put us at desks to learn about computers and the "Oregon Trail".

My writing is remarkably colorful. Like the crazy scribbles of a madman. All variable shapes and weights and slants to letters. I seem to change personalities many times from the beginning to the end of a sentence.

ha ha. maybe the pen just for kicks.

Ash
06-03-2006, 02:49
My parents love their Mont Blanc pens. I have to say they are definitely a joy to write with, but I prefer a nice thin Parker ballpoint. I prefer a smooth metallic pen.

TimBonzi
06-03-2006, 06:48
Oh, man. I'm really gonna get it for this...

"Ode to my Beloved Pencil"

Oh, my beautiful pencil,
What a perfect work of art.
Fitting my hand so wonderfully,
Writing for hours so comfortably.

With easy motion it glides upon the paper,
The carbon black point a perfect taper.

Listening to my every thought,
Always willing, never a naught.

The sound of scratch upon the wood
Echoing ideas as it should.

The ubiquitous Yellow number two,
Is always ready, ready to woo.

With buff saffron coating it's hex,
To shimmering ocher with glinting flecks.

My favorite though is wood of desire,
The Black Ticonderoga is beauty for hire.
Ebony lightening in wood so sleek,
There is no other you would ever seek.

<><><>

PeterL
06-28-2006, 16:02
Okay, this thread + my new fountain pen really got me going. I'm all addicted to fountain pens now & I'm ordering inks already. Bought myself a brand new and shiny Pelikan Pelikano (€10, hehe) so I can try them all out, including the infamous iron-gall inks that eat your pen, eat the paper, eat the paper next to the paper they were written on and will eventually eat you too, if you're not careful.

Here's a nice forum: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Hurray ! Another expensive hobby :)

Peter.

narsuitus
07-16-2006, 21:44
It depends on what I am writing. If I am writing long technical documents, I prefer to use a computer word processor. If I am writing checks to pay bills, I prefer to use my handcrafted pen made by John T. Johnson of Royse City, Texas, USA.

However, since the poll is closed for voting, it makes no difference now.

jaapv
07-16-2006, 23:13
The poll was closed, but I purchased a Shaefer fountain pen with my first money earned forty odd years ago. I still have it, but it did aquire a number of brothers and sisters during the years. I simply cannot write legibly with a ballpoint.

pshinkaw
08-01-2006, 13:02
Cross Fountain pen.

eric
08-01-2006, 13:10
Kohinoor Rapid-o-graph

OdDbaLL
08-01-2006, 13:17
Dunhill AD2000 Carbon Fibre fountain pen

Nando
08-01-2006, 13:45
I use a Fisher Space Pen - the Bullet Model.

http://www.spacepen.com/

I was first curious about space pens after I saw that Seinfeld episode called 'The Pen'. The Fisher bullet was designed in 1948 - kind of looks like a sci-fi rocket of the era. It's about 3-inches long when closed. When you take the cap off and place it at the end of the pen, it's about as long as a regular pen. It might seem a bit The Astronaut model, which was the one made for NASA (and perhaps used on Seinfeld), is a conventional sized pen.

I got it just for the novelty but soon it became a very valuable tool. I take it everywhere. The best thing is that the pen is very compact but the fact that it never dries out (unless its truly out of ink) and that I can write with it any which way (even upside down) has really come in handy as a teacher. The special pressurized ink cartridges make this possible.

The only thing that I don't like is that the add-on clip is basically useless because it eventually stretches and then slides off the pen easily. The fact that it is a small pen also makes it easier to lose. Another disadvantage is that if ink does run out, its hard to find refills but now their website makes it easy to order them.

I currently have two Bullet pens. One for work, with torquois coloured ink instead of the traditional red so students don't feel like I 'massacred' their papers and for the assurance of knowing that I marked it. I have one for everyday use with the more conventional blue ink. I also bought one with invisible ink for a young son of a close friend. Needless to say that he loves it. I think I might get him a Minox 'spy camera' for Christmas this year.

mervynyan
08-01-2006, 13:48
Park 100
MontBlanc Starwalker fountain pen

tomtodeath
08-01-2006, 14:16
1. fisher space pen- bullet
2. ultra fine point sharpie

summaron
08-01-2006, 14:16
These three fountain pens: a 1990s black student-grade Pelikan, a leaky Pekinos with a great steel nib (filled with ink from a leaky last bottle of discontinued Parker ink), and a pretty indestructable retractable-nib Pilot.