PDA

View Full Version : Olympus RD sticky shutter/aperture repair

JohnJos
09-16-2015, 01:58
Folks, my RD succumbed to the sticky shutter/aperture blade problem recently. I tried to find a repair shop in the US but no one seems to be able or willing to perform these repairs anymore. So I decided to try the repair myself following the instructions found here:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/oly35rdcleaning.html

Everything was going fine until I got to the step where I need to remove the shutter/aperture housing (text associated with photos 7 & 8 of the above link). No matter how much I wiggle the housing I cannot get the assembly to come out. Something seems to be holding it back on the edge where the splined shaft is located.I cannot figure out what the problem is and hope someone here who has done this repair can enlighten me. Thanks in advance for you assistance.

John

nhchen
09-16-2015, 02:52
Hi john,
I did this following the same instructions you did a few years ago. I didn't have much trouble getting it out, just try to wiggle it and it will eventually get into the right position to come out. The problem I had was to get it back in, almost impossible i think. It was a lot easier to reassemble if you removed the whole lens assembly from the camera body. I can't remember specifically but I think it involved peeling back the leatherette on the front and also removing a screw under the top cover... Since the shutter escapements are in the camera body, there's not many parts in there anyway.
Hope that helps,
Nathan

JohnJos
09-16-2015, 04:48
Thanks for your advice Nathan.
I'll continue to try to wiggle the housing unit to see if I can get it free. I can't imagine what's holding it back but it does seem to be stuck on something. If I have no luck with that approach I'll consider a more complete disassembly like you suggest. Much appreciated.
John

JohnJos
09-22-2015, 04:28
OK, I had to disassemble the camera as Nathan discussed in order to remove the shutter/aperture housing. The shutter activation arm seemed to the the part holding back the housing. Anyway, everything is in pieces now so it's time for cleaning and reassembly. But I have a question about lubrication. Where should I add grease and what grease should I use so that this problem does not reoccur?
Thanks,
John

OlympusRF
09-23-2015, 06:19
Hi,
I had fix that problem in about 6 or more RD cameras, and never put any grease anywhere, I think its best this way.
I don't think you will use hundreds of film on it, so just to be sure the grease doesn't get where it shouldn't, don't use any.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/olympusrf/albums

JohnJos
09-30-2015, 18:45
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same. I won't be using it heavily so lubrication is not really necessary. John