PDA

View Full Version : Help with Olympus 35 sp

rowghani
09-04-2015, 11:55
Hi guys, just bought one from a shop . I'm having trouble loading film as the perforations engage the sprocket gear only temporarily and with me using my hand to assist it. If I let go they disengage. Any thoughts?

zuikologist
09-04-2015, 12:31
Are you threading the film leader onto the take up spool also?

This may help

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/olympus/olympus_35_sp/olympus_35_sp.htm

rowghani
09-04-2015, 15:09
hey man, ya i found the manual before and went through the instructions. not sure what I'm doing wrong but i might just take it back and see what he can do. thanks.

zuikologist
09-04-2015, 19:26
The main thing to watch out for us to make sure the film is taught across the Sprockets by threading the film onto the take up spool and winding on a frame or two with back open, so you can see the film engaged, and also winding the film back into the cassette a little if it us not flat on the film gate. You will need six thumbs and extra fingers for this - after 40 years of loading film, I had similar frustration with an SLR last week!

nikon_sam
09-04-2015, 21:39
The main thing to watch out for us to make sure the film is taught across the Sprockets by threading the film onto the take up spool and winding on a frame or two with back open, so you can see the film engaged, and also winding the film back into the cassette a little if it us not flat on the film gate. You will need six thumbs and extra fingers for this - after 40 years of loading film, I had similar frustration with an SLR last week!

Exactly what I would have said...

rowghani
09-06-2015, 05:30
Thanks guys, I finally got it.

Steve Bellayr
09-06-2015, 06:50
A word of caution to those new to film: Once the back is closed and you begin taking photographs OBSERVE the remind knob when you advance the film. If the film is advancing correctly then the remind knob should be moving.

rowghani
09-06-2015, 06:55
hey steve sometimes when I load it in the olympus and advance it skips some frames. ever had this problem?

Steve Bellayr
09-06-2015, 07:26
Qualitative no because I am not certain what you mean by "skips some frames." Are you familiar with film cameras? Do you referring to the leader? After you close the back you need to advance the film once or twice. I do this with my hand over the front of the lens. After this procedure it should not skip frames with the caveat fro rangefinders: Did you remove the lens cap? The viewfinder will provide an image (unlike an slr) with the lens covered.

David Hughes
09-06-2015, 09:07
Hi,

Just a thought, people often push the rewind release and don't know they have to reset things by firing the shutter. As the film won't load as the take-up spool is free-wheeling otherwise...

Like I said, just a thought.

Regards, David

rowghani
09-06-2015, 15:20
Qualitative no because I am not certain what you mean by "skips some frames." Are you familiar with film cameras? Do you referring to the leader? After you close the back you need to advance the film once or twice. I do this with my hand over the front of the lens. After this procedure it should not skip frames with the caveat fro rangefinders: Did you remove the lens cap? The viewfinder will provide an image (unlike an slr) with the lens covered.

I've shooting with film for a while now so I'm not a beginner. The weird thing about this Olympus is that after I take a picture and cock the shutter, I can cock it again without firing. That's what I was referring to.

David Hughes
09-07-2015, 00:34
Hi,

Time to take it back to the shop and get it repaired for free.

Or, if you paid a few pennies for it; time to take it to the repair man and pay for it to be sorted out. That camera needs looking after and cherishing. I often wish I had a good one, again, but they are like hen's teeth...

Regards, David

bola_dor
01-02-2016, 18:21
I've shooting with film for a while now so I'm not a beginner. The weird thing about this Olympus is that after I take a picture and cock the shutter, I can cock it again without firing. That's what I was referring to.
Exactly the same is happening with my 35 LC. .. have you solved this?
Any tips?
Thanks