PDA

View Full Version : My first Rangefinder

RMPoole
04-25-2015, 02:01
Hello, I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a teacher in Greater Manchester, UK and a keen amateur photographer. I've always had a camera but it was only when I got a Fuji x100 I started to become really interested in it. In an attempt to learn more about photography I've bought an Olympus 35sp and I am in there process of running a test roll of film though it. I'm looking forward to reading this forum and learning from the experts!

https://flic.kr/p/sgcQhh

fuji645
04-25-2015, 04:24
Some of us are experts but more importantly we, like you love the art and craft of photography. Keep reading and posting and taking pictures and you will learn something new every day. Welcome to RFF!

kuvvy
04-25-2015, 04:51
You should get out with us other Northerners. We get into Manchester pretty often to do some street shooting. In fact, we're going tomorrow. It the St George's Day parade so may have plent of shooting opportunities. We come from Rochdale, Littleborough and further afield. Get in touch if you fancy it.

Paul

ray*j*gun
04-25-2015, 04:52
The range and depth of expertise on this forum is mind-blowing (excluding this writer). Read and ask and you will seldom come away with unresolved questions. Welcome to RFF!

RMPoole
04-25-2015, 08:36
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'll see if the missus fancies a trip into town tomorrow for the parade. Paul, I think I know you from the Fuji X Forum :)

leica M2 fan
04-25-2015, 09:24
Welcome to RFF, you'll really enjoy the people and the photos
posted by forum members. Give us some samples of your
shots from the Oly. and enjoy your time here.

RMPoole
05-02-2015, 23:44
Just got my first roll of film back and... Mixed results. Some cracking images and quite a bit of rubbish. Mostly down to human error, forgetting to focus etc. Exposure seems spot on though and the lens is sharp! One problem though, the first 20 have a red cast on them due to light leaking, I'm hoping into the film not the camera. The last ten show no evidence of it. It was very old, 10 year out of date stock so that might be the problem. I've bought a couple of rolls of tri-x to have another test!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/02/7b80a8dda7985306b4acf795b8010726.jpg

David Hughes
05-03-2015, 00:53
Hi,

The red suggests to me it was the cassette leaking light. Does it go across the negative to the edge almost and get less and less the further you go in the film?

The pattern of it will be obvious, I hope.

As for Tri X, are you developing at home or getting it done by a lab. If so you can get a scan done in various sizes as well as prints or - in some labs - in place of the prints.

It will also pay you to experiment with films and labs. One film may well suit you or the camera lens like a glove. BTW, I'll offer one piece of advice and that is ignore out of date films, although a month or so will/may be OK. You don't know how they've been stored and that can ruin film. (Most of us buy fresh and store in the fridge in a plastic box; in case of accidents. Food and film don't mix well - especially if it's Worc's. sauce... )

For camera testing I look in supermarkets for film. EG Asda do 3 cassettes of Fuji's C200 (24 exp) for 8 and that is dear by my standards but cheaper than many. Asda will also develop and scan for about 3 and develop, scan and do 5" x 7" from 24 exp cassettes for about 8. BTW, I spend a lot of time looking for bargains whilst my wife shops each week. Boots are dear, in my experience. And ebay is a mixture of dear and cheap.

If your camera has a meter that works properly then you should treasure it. They are getting very rare these days, I've just sold my 4th in 45 or 50 years and don't think I'll get another, much as I would like it.

And beware of getting hooked on Olympus as the lenses are special in my opinion and cheap. Especially the AF-1, XA2 and mju-I which you'll find in charity shops for a pound or two, with a bit of luck.

Hope you sort out the light leak. The repair expert is Michael Spencer, btw, but I don't have his email address at the moment.

Regards, David

RMPoole
05-03-2015, 03:41
Hello, I think it goes across the negatives but it's difficult to tell. It gets less as the film progresses as you say which led me to blame the cassette. When I loaded the film I didn't even consider that it would be out of date but I've not shot film in years and others in my bag expired 9 years ago. Whoops! Fresh stock from now on.

I'm hoping to develop at home but need to buy all the gear first and teach myself how to process. Then comes the dilemma of scanning the negs or do I attempt to print?

Can you recommend any labs? Someone said Peak Processing in Sheffield, they process and give you a CD with the images on which may be an option in the short term though I guess it'll start getting pricey.

I didn't even think of looking in asda for film, thanks for the heads up! I don't think my local one develops though. I took them to Max Spielman, I'm not 100% certain they did the best job. To me the negs look sharper than the prints though that might just be because of the size etc.

I've promised myself not to buy anymore cameras just yet! At least not till I get my Leica...

Thanks for the advice!

David Hughes
05-03-2015, 04:58
Hi,

Yes, that sounds like light getting in the cassette through the light seal. Not entirely unknown but not too common.

I forgot to add that you can get Agfa Vista (?) in Poundland for - surprise - a pound in 24 exposure cassettes but you have to check every Poundland shop. Rumour has it that they are made by Fuji and are C200, which is a decent colour print film.

There's also the old favourites, ie Ilford FP4+ and HP5 and D&P; plus chemicals from Ilford's websites.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/home.asp and http://www.ilfordlab.com/

Easiest is to start with just developing and scanning B&W. 2 or 3 chemicals needed, a thermometer and patience. Several film sellers will also sell you a complete darkroom outfit for much more money but do you have a proper darkroom?

Scanning means no darkroom, as does slide making (colour and B&W), but a sink and so on are essential and a dust free atmosphere. Without a darkroom you'll need a changing or dark bag; it's a sack with light tight (usually) sleeves. Put the film and tank in the sack, seal it, stick your hands in the sleeves and then open the film in the dark bag and load the tank's spirals. Easier typed than done...

The charity shops have dozens of old photo books to give you the background but they stop short of scanning and Photoshop.

OTOH, there's bargains in quality but unloved enlargers etc on ebay.

Regards, David

RMPoole
05-04-2015, 10:34
Hi,

Yes, that sounds like light getting in the cassette through the light seal. Not entirely unknown but not too common.

I forgot to add that you can get Agfa Vista (?) in Poundland for - surpribooksa pound in 24 exposure cassettes but you have to check every Poundland shop. Rumour has it that they are made by Fuji and are C200, which is a decent colour print film.

There's also the old favourites, ie Ilford FP4+ and HP5 and D&P; plus chemicals from Ilford's websites.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/home.asp and http://www.ilfordlab.com/

Easiest is to start with just developing and scanning B&W. 2 or 3 chemicals needed, a thermometer and patience. Several film sellers will also sell you a complete darkroom outfit for much more money but do you have a proper darkroom?

Scanning means no darkroom, as does slide making (colour and B&W), but a sink and so on are essential and a dust free atmosphere. Without a darkroom you'll need a changing or dark bag; it's a sack with light tight (usually) sleeves. Put the film and tank in the sack, seal it, stick your hands in the sleeves and then open the film in the dark bag and load the tank's spirals. Easier typed than done...

The charity shops have dozens of old photo books to give you the background but they stop short of scanning and Photoshop.

OTOH, there's bargains in quality but unloved enlargers etc on ebay.

Regards, David

I'm going to blame you when my wife wants to know why I'm not helping with the shopping but searching for cheap film! I noticed today a "holiday bag" of five rolls of film for 15 I'm boots today. There are offers to be had!

Developing and scanning is probably the best bet. Most of my pictures are for the web and so I guess the scanner doesn't have to be fantastic quality. Then any winners I could get sent off to a lab for printing. I've no darkroom so I have two options I guess, use s bag or try to black out the bathroom.

Loading a tank by touch sounds tricky so those out of date films might come in useful for practising!

I'm in the process of selling my house so hopefully in my new one there will be somewhere for a darkroom.

I've inherited s load of old photo books including two hefty tomes "the focal encyclopaedia of photography" published 1958. No Photoshop or scanning information for some reason!

David Hughes
05-04-2015, 13:18
Hi,

Those Boots bags of five will drop to a lot less when the "buy 2 get one free" or the second for half price offers come in but you have to wait and look in regularly. This old git can remember when they were under eight quid the sack, in 2011. And a lot appeared on ebay at + 50% or more during the bargain spells!

Anyway, I'll wish you luck hunting them down. I get stick for filling the fridge with film, btw, so beware.

The Focal book is very useful at times but a bit heavy. OTOH, its sub-title isn't me and my Nikon like many photographic book.

Regards, David

RMPoole
07-21-2015, 11:15
Well, I've bought myself a developing tank, changing bag, chemicals etc so going to have a go at developing my first roll of film tomorrow. Currently having a go with an old roll of film loading the reel without much success!

kuvvy
07-21-2015, 12:55
Robert, it was me who served you in the shop today, ha!

Paul

RMPoole
08-11-2015, 04:27
Robert, it was me who served you in the shop today, ha!

Paul

Ha! What a coincidence! I didn't know you worked there, small world! I got the film onto the reel and developed my film OK. Maybe a bit dark but that's just practice. Now I need a scanner or a darkroom... I've got a light leek on the 35sp too it seems so might need some new seals...

Are you still shooting Fuji, I think I've seen you on the Fuji X forum too? If so there are some folks over there trying to sort out a Manchester meet up.

jamin-b
08-11-2015, 09:39
Keep at it. Every time I use my SP I am so pleased by the results and high number of keepers I wonder why I bother with all my Leica, Voigtlander etc cameras and lenses!

RMPoole
01-04-2016, 00:41
I treated myself to a negative scanner for Christmas so managing to digitise some of my pics from my 35sp. I developed a roll of Tri-X 400 at home and it looks like the light leak is in the camera not the cassette as the same pattern occurs again, though not on every shot strangely. Anyway, scanned using Plustek 8200i and Vuescan

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1645/24132497936_077e377fac_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CLvmSC)Laura - Olympus 35sp trix400 (https://flic.kr/p/CLvmSC) by Robert Michael Poole (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmpoole/), on Flickr