PDA

View Full Version : RFF POSTCARD PROJECT part 6!

Pages : [1] 2

rbiemer
02-26-2015, 02:22
I am starting "RFF post card project part 6" as of now.
This is a project we have done several--well five--times before and it is, I think, quite fun. The idea is that we each make postcards of one of our own photos and send that card to everyone else who is playing. The same image for everyone. After we have all mailed our cards, we will each get a small photo show from around the world. And we will all have the same exhibit.

I will collect real addresses from who ever wants to join in.

I will NOT use those addresses for anything other than this project.

I will accept addresses for a specific length of time--probably about a month--and then send a list of all the addresses to each of us who are playing.

We all then will have another month to shoot, make, and mail postcards.

We each mail the same card to all the other folks on the list. So, if there are 40 people again, we each would mail 39 cards. Of the same image.

This is an international exercise and y'all should keep that in mind.

I set no subject or gear restrictions. But these are postcards which means the image will be seen by all the people who handle the mail as it goes from you to the rest of us.

How the cards are made is up to each person; I have printed my own and have also used an on-line company to print my cards.
I'm in the US and for me the cost was effectively the same for either doing my own or having them made.

For the previous rounds, I did not limit the number of players except by the cut off date; how ever many folks sent me their addresses was the final number. That is still the plan. We have been right around 40 or 50 people for each of the previous rounds.

To keep the mechanics of organizing this as simple as possible (in the hope that I don't miss any one who wants to join in), I have a specific email address that I will be using for this round.
And, as I mentioned above, I do not use your addresses for anything but this specific round.

THIS MEANS that if you want to participate, I need you to send to the new email address the following info:
Your name and address (including your country--this is directed at us USA folks, we sometimes forget that there is a big world out there) in the correct format for your country.
your RFF username.

I will collect addresses from now until I wake up and check my email on 26 March--Thursday.

I will take a day or two to make sure I have the list correct and will email the list to all of us.

Plan on mailing your cards out NO sooner than 26 April.

And please have 'em all in the mail by 26 May.

A few last things:

Please do NOT pm me nor use any previous email address to send me your info.

If the numbers of us who want to do this get very large, I will let us all know in this thread and we can then decide what to do.

And, finally, the email address I need y'all to use if you want to play:

[email protected]

Thanks for joining in everyone!

If you all have any questions and or suggestions, please post 'em here in this thread!

We have done this project before and the results have been excellent. I think this round will be another great exchange of photos!

Warm regards, all!
Rob

krötenblender
02-26-2015, 02:38
I'm in again!

randolph45
02-26-2015, 02:49
Yup I'm in .
Email sent 3:57A.M.
Who gets up this early?

bence8810
02-26-2015, 02:52
I am in too. 1st time, very excited.

Ben

michaelwj
02-26-2015, 03:01
I'm in again.

varchs
02-26-2015, 03:21
I am in!
This will be my second time, and I have to confess that RFFPostCard#5 was a very happy thing for me!
I still remember the excitement while opening my mailbox, as each day a new card was arriving!!!
Thank you Rob!

robert blu
02-26-2015, 03:58
I'm in! Thanks
robert

back alley
02-26-2015, 06:09
me too!
i am in!!!

this will be my first postcard exchange...

dct
02-26-2015, 06:29
Here I am again.
Good I'm travelling to Italy next week: Maybe I will realize some new ideas for my card.
Thanks Rob for organizing again.

bence8810
02-26-2015, 17:19
Just out of curiosity - do we have any rules on when the picture should be taken that we'll use for the card? Can it be a photo we already have or it needs to be specifically created for this postcard exchange?

Thanks,
Ben

raid
02-26-2015, 18:36
I am in too. There are no restrictions on image age or topic or gear. Everything is fine.

merciless49
02-26-2015, 19:43
I'm in again, as well.

kxl
02-26-2015, 19:50
I'm in again...

krötenblender
02-26-2015, 19:52
Just out of curiosity - do we have any rules on when the picture should be taken that we'll use for the card? Can it be a photo we already have or it needs to be specifically created for this postcard exchange?

We already had all kinds of images in the last rounds, old and new ones. That made a nice and interesting mixture.

I will be in Japan and Tokyo at the end of this round and was thinking about taking one of the pictures "just in time" there for this round (I think, either Kanda Matsuri or Aoi Matsuri being nice opportunities), but I'm not sure, if I can manage this during my trip. But since you are from Tokyo, there will probably be good postcard from Japan.

milosdevino
02-28-2015, 03:47
I'm in for the first time. Sounds like fun.

back alley
03-02-2015, 08:15
let's bump this up...c'mon folks...get involved in something civilized around here!

rbiemer
03-02-2015, 13:31
As I'm typing this, we are at 12 people. Not actually too bad for the first few days.
However, there are a few folks up thread who have not sent me their info yet. We could be at 15 or so by now...:D

Rob

back alley
03-02-2015, 13:38
As I'm typing this, we are at 12 people. Not actually too bad for the first few days.
However, there are a few folks up thread who have not sent me their info yet. We could be at 15 or so by now...:D

Rob

how embarassing...i just sent my info...

bence8810
03-02-2015, 15:07
Kanda Matsuri or Aoi Matsuri being nice opportunities), but I'm not sure, if I can manage this during my trip. But since you are from Tokyo, there will probably be good postcard from Japan.

Kanda matsuri is really nice. Drop me a PM and if I have time I'll meet you up!

Also if you need any help about getting around etc.

Ben

zauhar
03-02-2015, 16:58
I'm in again Rob, thanks as always for starting this.

I will aim to do better this time in acknowledging the work of my fellow participants as it arrives - I always mean to do that, but life gets in the way!

Randy

jweber3rd
03-03-2015, 02:56
I am in again. Thanks Rob for organizing this.

jcrutcher
03-03-2015, 03:05
I'm in. thanks Rob!

kxl
03-04-2015, 08:21
As I've offered on previous RFF Postcard projects, I am willing to once again send you a formatted MS Word label template (with all the participants' addresses) for printing on an Avery 5160 label sheet (may be compatible with other label formats).

Wait until Rob sends out the list, then PM me if you are interested and provide your name and address and email address. I will check your name and address against the list from Rob and if I find a match, I will send the completed template via email. All you have to do is print it on a blank Avery 5160 label sheet.

Let me know.

-Keith

Red Rock Bill
03-04-2015, 08:30
I'm happy to be in......great stuff arrived in my mailbox last year......regards,Bill

bojanfurst
03-04-2015, 08:43
I am in. This is my favourite thing about RFF.

Bojan

michaelwj
03-04-2015, 22:22
how embarassing...i just sent my info...

oooh, took me 6 days. Hopefully my cards go out faster!

dfranklin
03-05-2015, 09:13
I learned about Postcard Project 5 too late to take part--I'm excited about being involved this time around. I'm going to send my info right now.

Lauffray
03-05-2015, 09:22
I'm in ! :)

raid
03-05-2015, 09:54
How many people do have participating in this round?

motion_runner
03-05-2015, 23:42
I am in. This is my favourite thing about RFF.

Bojan

Exactly. I only missed the first round.

robert blu
03-06-2015, 00:19

If I'm not wrong we should be 20 now, but I imagine with numbers you are much better than me :)

robert

PS: this time I'll make picture specific for this project...

rbiemer
03-07-2015, 08:59
As of now, we are at 22 people. So far.
:D

Rob

seakayaker1
03-07-2015, 12:32
Rob, thank you once again for starting up the RFF Postcard Part 6 project!

It is always an excellent and fun activity. Receiving post cards from around the the United States and the world is enjoyable and really look forward to this round!

The more the merrier, so I hope we see a couple dozen more RFF members join in. I just love coming home each day and checking the the mailbox and finding a new postcard waiting in the box. I Have participated in the previous 5 postcard projects and highly recommend it to anyone who may be sitting on the fence.

...... after seeing your last post Rob, it looks like we are now at 23!

mretina
03-07-2015, 13:11
I am in for second time. really enjoyed this last year!

kdemas
03-07-2015, 15:11
I missed the last one, in once again this time.

rbiemer
03-11-2015, 04:25
25 of us as of this morning.
:D
Rob

seakayaker1
03-11-2015, 13:32
Twenty-Five is great!

..... it would be great to get another dozen or so RFF members to join in.

There is real joy in coming home and finding a new Post Card in your mailbox!

back alley
03-11-2015, 13:43
the worst part of this is deciding which image to print!

raid
03-11-2015, 14:24
25 is a good number.
I may use an image from this morning's photo shoot in the fog.

benji77
03-11-2015, 22:31
This will be my first post-card project! I am in!

seagrove
03-12-2015, 05:57
How does everyone print their "postcards"? I have an Epson PictureMate that does 4"x6" prints. Is that suitable?

back alley
03-12-2015, 06:09
i will be trying the moo postcards...

rbiemer
03-12-2015, 06:21
How does everyone print their "postcards"? I have an Epson PictureMate that does 4"x6" prints. Is that suitable?

I have printed my own and I have used Moo. The cost was just about the same either way.
The quality was also pretty good, though last time, I used Moo and was not happy with my results. I previously was very happy with Moo and will be using them again for this round.

Rob

raid
03-12-2015, 07:11
I have been using MOO to make postcards. They use excellent paper stock, and their prints come out great. Add to it their excellent customer services, and MOO is the champ (for me).

Today is the last day for their promo:

http://promocodes2015.com/moo/promo-code/

Pherdinand
03-12-2015, 07:16
i play
and let's hope this time the dutch mailman will not weep/drool on my cards :)

raid
03-12-2015, 07:25
Do I need more than 30 postcards, or can I today order 30?

krötenblender
03-12-2015, 08:07
The list is still open for some time, I think. So you should better wait, some people may come late.

raid
03-12-2015, 08:46
I agree. I will let the 15% sale go.

Pherdinand
03-12-2015, 08:46
list is still open for 2 weeks Raid. I would expect we land at 45-50 again.

raid
03-12-2015, 09:22
WOW! I like it.

bence8810
03-12-2015, 16:43
Guys,

I am going to wet print my cards. Does anyone know what size is the allowed Postcard size internationally? As I am sending them from Japan - I assume 100% of them are going overseas....

Thanks,
Ben

benji77
03-12-2015, 17:31
Same here, I too will be wet printing them on 4R Ilford's. I think it should not be a problem posting them as post cards.

kxl
03-12-2015, 17:32
USPS Guidelines for postcard pricing. Not sure about other countries.

Rectangular. At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick. No more than 4-1/4 inches high x 6 inches long x 0.016 inches thick.

If you wet print, is the paper going to be sturdy enough to withstand international mail? In the previous RFF Postcard projects, there were a few RFF'ers who just inserted the photos in an envelop to mitigate the risk of a postcard getting ripped in transit, albeit at a higher mailing cost.

Guys,

I am going to wet print my cards. Does anyone know what size is the allowed Postcard size internationally? As I am sending them from Japan - I assume 100% of them are going overseas....

Thanks,
Ben

seakayaker1
03-12-2015, 17:33
Here are the US post office specs. I have used the 4x6 postcard size from MOO.com and mailed them in all 5 previous postcard exchanges with no issues with international destinations.

Rectangular
At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick
No more than 4-1/4 inches high x 6 inches long x 0.016 inches thick

Current rates for mailing in the US is .34 cents for domestic and 1.15 for international.

benji77
03-12-2015, 17:35
Ilford's Fibre Base 4R should fit. I have to check on Ilford's size.

rbiemer
03-13-2015, 05:55
Guys,

Thanks,
Ben

I don't think it actually will be 100% for you...
And I don't know about other countries size rules but no one in the past rounds had any trouble with sending 4x6 cards that I know of.

Same here, I too will be wet printing them on 4R Ilford's. I think it should not be a problem posting them as post cards.

Ilford does make an actual postcard paper for wet printing I think?
Rob

seakayaker1
03-13-2015, 08:04
You can find the Ilford Postcard stock here:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/834846-Ilford-Multigrade-MGIV-RC-Portfolio-Postcard-Double-weight-3-7-8x5-7

and here:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/856084-Ilford-Multigrade-MGIV-RC-S44K-Portfolio-Postcard-Double-weight-3-7

Cost is listed as $40.99 per box of 100

bojanfurst
03-13-2015, 10:10
Hello everybody,

I have a question for all of you. This is my third or fourth postcard round and one of my favourite things about rff. I am working on a long term photography project with a local organization working with youth. Part of the project is engaging with them in ways other than just recording their stories and photographing them. For about six months now I have been facilitating (teaching is really a too strong a word in this case) a series of weekly photography conversations with a group of young people who live in a long-term group home while they are learning necessary skills to stand on their own two feet. It's been a really fun experience. Most of them don't actually have cameras and tend to use their cell phones as their primary cameras, but we have really interesting discussions about various aspects of photography - it's really more about visual literacy and looking at images than anything else.

Now that we are more comfortable with each other, we are starting to talk about our own photographs and I was wondering if you would be okay if four or five of them join this round of postcard exchange? It would make the photographs a bit more real and it would be a neat project.

The organization that runs the housing project is call Choices for Youth and here is their website: http://www.choicesforyouth.ca/who-we-are/#who-we-are-1

Let me know what you think...

fdarnell
03-13-2015, 10:16
I'm in - think of all the neat stamps and photos from all over the world!:)

Lauffray
03-13-2015, 10:36
Now that we are more comfortable with each other, we are starting to talk about our own photographs and I was wondering if you would be okay if four or five of them join this round of postcard exchange? It would make the photographs a bit more real and it would be a neat project.

I think that's a great idea

randolph45
03-13-2015, 10:45
Hello everybody,

I have a question for all of you. This is my third or fourth postcard round and one of my favourite things about rff. I am working on a long term photography project with a local organization working with youth. Part of the project is engaging with them in ways other than just recording their stories and photographing them. For about six months now I have been facilitating (teaching is really a too strong a word in this case) a series of weekly photography conversations with a group of young people who live in a long-term group home while they are learning necessary skills to stand on their own two feet. It's been a really fun experience. Most of them don't actually have cameras and tend to use their cell phones as their primary cameras, but we have really interesting discussions about various aspects of photography - it's really more about visual literacy and looking at images than anything else.

The organization that runs the housing project is call Choices for Youth and here is their website: http://www.choicesforyouth.ca/who-we-are/#who-we-are-1

Sounds like a great project for your group have at it:)

rbiemer
03-13-2015, 11:30
Bojan,
I think this is an excellent idea.
I can't speak for everybody in Part 6, but I don't see any reason not to include your group.
I will email you in a bit.

Rob
Hello everybody,

seakayaker1
03-13-2015, 12:29
Hello everybody,

It is a great idea but have you thought about the funding? The cost of the postcards and postage?

Hopefully the agency has the resources and I think it would be great if they could join in the project.

bojanfurst
03-13-2015, 13:44
Thank you everybody. That's great. I will pass the news on.

Dan, that is a great point we were very much aware of. We are just looking at the costs right now. We have some options so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Rob, I will email you the names and the address on Tuesday.

Bojan

kxl
03-13-2015, 14:15
Hello everybody,

Sure. I'm all for it. In the past, we have sent postcards to those who were not 'officially' in the project. I, for one, am willing to send postcards to those who may not be in a position to send one of theirs... within reason (I'm okay with 4-5).

-Keith

jmilkins
03-14-2015, 00:32
bump..
I'm in thanks to another RFFer's wise words - it will make me shoot and soup.

avikrc
03-14-2015, 01:06
Just sent in the email. This will be my first postcard project. :)

benji77
03-16-2015, 02:15
Sorry to talk about printing specifics, but I just found out that my local shop does not have the fibre-based Ilford's at 3x7 sizes. I only have RC in that (postcard size).

Anyone has sent RC paper as postcards before? Will they pass the postcard requirements of postal services?

rbiemer
03-16-2015, 16:09
Sorry to talk about printing specifics, but I just found out that my local shop does not have the fibre-based Ilford's at 3x7 sizes. I only have RC in that (postcard size).

Anyone has sent RC paper as postcards before? Will they pass the postcard requirements of postal services?

I haven't sent any RC paper cards, but have received a few over the previous rounds. As long as the size/thickness is good there shouldn't be any problem.
Rob

bence8810
03-16-2015, 17:25
Hi all,

Thanks for the tips. The problem I have is that in Japan I can't seem to find paper that is smaller than 5x7. Fuji sells one which is 4.7x6.49 inches. It's slightly larger than the allowed US size so I think it could be a problem.

RC paper that I use is fairly strong otherwise - should withstand the postal torture.

I may need to cut 8x10 paper in half... not exactly what I had in mind but might just have to...

Thanks again,
Ben

benji77
03-16-2015, 20:55
I haven't sent any RC paper cards, but have received a few over the previous rounds. As long as the size/thickness is good there shouldn't be any problem.
Rob

Thank you Rob.

I bought a 100pc pack of RC sized at 3 1/4 X 5. The small size should work as compared to the 5X7 (which is too large according to US Postal requirements).

I may retrofit another piece of paper to the RC's back to make it thicker, so I will see how that goes.

bence8810
03-16-2015, 20:59
Thank you Rob.

I bought a 100pc pack of RC sized at 3 1/4 X 5. The small size should work as compared to the 5X7 (which is too large according to US Postal requirements).

I may retrofit another piece of paper to the RC's back to make it thicker, so I will see how that goes.

By the way - printing this small size - what lens are you going to use? I am thinking with the 50 the head will be so close to the paper that we'll get ridiculously short times - impossible to do anything with the photo in case it isn't as simple as a single pass.

I was thinking going with a 75mm or even longer...
Ben

kxl
03-16-2015, 21:40
To clarify, the allowed US size for a postcard is to determine what we in the US pay to send a postcard, NOT to receive one.

Since you are shipping from Japan, you may want to check JP Post's guidelines for a postcard size. It may be completely different.

-Keith

The problem I have is that in Japan I can't seem to find paper that is smaller than 5x7. Fuji sells one which is 4.7x6.49 inches. It's slightly larger than the allowed US size so I think it could be a problem.

Ben

bence8810
03-17-2015, 00:51
To clarify, the allowed US size for a postcard is to determine what we in the US pay to send a postcard, NOT to receive one.

Since you are shipping from Japan, you may want to check JP Post's guidelines for a postcard size. It may be completely different.

-Keith

Ah, I feel like an ape now for not looking earlier...

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/postcard_en.html

Looks like I am good to go! Hope the receiving end will accept!
The smallest Fuji RC paper I can get here (as above mentioned) is 12x16.5cms which will be ok!

Just one issue - the long side should be 1.4 times the size of the short side and I am going to be 3mm's off there. Will send a single card first to test their acceptance, hope they won't start measuring and calculating ratio etc...

Ben

bence8810
03-17-2015, 00:54
Sorry to double post - just remembered when I took notes on the back of these RC prints - it was sort of damaging the picture and if held to a light source at an angle, I could see the bumps on the photo side of the print. What are you guys doing to address the cards?
Wanted to hand write them but perhaps need to stick a label on it to keep it from being damaged?

Ben

benji77
03-17-2015, 01:10
By the way - printing this small size - what lens are you going to use? I am thinking with the 50 the head will be so close to the paper that we'll get ridiculously short times - impossible to do anything with the photo in case it isn't as simple as a single pass.

I was thinking going with a 75mm or even longer...
Ben

Oh, I never did print this small before, so it should be the 50mm for this.

Sorry to double post - just remembered when I took notes on the back of these RC prints - it was sort of damaging the picture and if held to a light source at an angle, I could see the bumps on the photo side of the print. What are you guys doing to address the cards?
Wanted to hand write them but perhaps need to stick a label on it to keep it from being damaged?

Ben

Best to use a felt tip, maybe a Sakura 0.8/0.9 or maybe even a magic marker.

rbiemer
03-19-2015, 09:00
What are you guys doing to address the cards?

Ben

Ben,
The Sakura pen is a good suggestion and a label would work too. Be a bit cautious about what kind of pen you choose if you hand write the addresses: not so much worry about damaging the image but I'd be more concerned with an ink that won't smear--something that will dry relatively quickly and is water resistant is what you'd want.
I don't wet print the cards I send so I don't have the issue with RC paper and even so, I do take over all the kitchen table in my apt when I address my cards so the ink I use will have plenty of time to dry!
Rob

PS, all: As I type this, we are at 30 people not counting Bojan's kids. So, that puts us right around three dozen altogether!

Warm regards,
Rob

rbiemer
03-23-2015, 09:04
Three more days, folks if you want to join us in this round!
As of now we are around three dozen still.
And, a request for all of us RFF members:
Whether or not you are playing, and whether or not they are a member of RFF, if you know of any [hotographers in Africa or the Antarctic, would you reach out and ask them if they'd like to join us. It would be excellent if we had cards from every continent!

Thank you all!
Rob

back alley
03-23-2015, 09:24
moo cards allow for as many images as you order or one image for all...would it matter to folks if i picked several different images or better if i send out the same image to everyone?

seakayaker1
03-23-2015, 09:29
moo cards allow for as many images as you order or one image for all...would it matter to folks if i picked several different images or better if i send out the same image to everyone?

I would prefer that one image is sent to everyone. It is nice to get a complete set and knowing everyone is seeing the same image from each individual who is participating.

JMHO

I have ordered multiple images in a package from MOO in the past to send postcard to my grandchildren and others. Positive feedback from folks who receive them vs receiving a generic postcard from a place I have visited.

krötenblender
03-23-2015, 09:53
I would prefer that one image is sent to everyone. It is nice to get a complete set and knowing everyone is seeing the same image from each individual who is participating.

Me too, and I think, thats the idea. Otherwise the collection would somehow feel incomplete...

back alley
03-23-2015, 09:54

JMHO

I have ordered multiple images in a package from MOO in the past to send postcard to my grandchildren and others. Positive feedback from folks who receive them vs receiving a generic postcard from a place I have visited.

that makes good sense...

raid
03-23-2015, 09:57
It used to cost a small fortune to have 5 postcards printed with color separation before the digital age. Now, it is cheap to print one card or 50 cards from 50 digital files.

For this project, printing out one image may be the best way to go.

avikrc
03-24-2015, 21:52
I am in India and I was wondering if it might be cheaper to use a service that prints and mails the cards. But that would mean that I wont be able to see the final card *before* sending them out, risking the quality.

Has anyone used a reliable service which does this and maintains quality? Just weighing up my options.

bence8810
03-25-2015, 00:57
I am in India and I was wondering if it might be cheaper to use a service that prints and mails the cards. But that would mean that I wont be able to see the final card *before* sending them out, risking the quality.

Has anyone used a reliable service which does this and maintains quality? Just weighing up my options.

I use touchnote which is an app on your iPhone that sends postcards directly to addresses printed close to the receiver's location.

As for quality - I always just use this to send to my parents and when they see their grandson on anything they approve of the quality. I saw one print - I thought it was mediocre but wouldn't call it bad or not worth the 2 dollars they charge for it.

Ben

ian_watts
03-25-2015, 00:59
Bit last-minute-Larry but I've decided to join in the fun.:)

seakayaker1
03-25-2015, 13:08
Bit last-minute-Larry but I've decided to join in the fun.:)

Welcome Ian to the postcard project!

I think you will be quite pleased when you start receiving everyone's postcard. It is great coming home and seeing a new postcard waiting in the box!

ColSebastianMoran
03-25-2015, 13:13
I would like to participate again this year. Great fun last time!

raid
03-25-2015, 14:27
Is tomorrow the last day for joining this round?
How many cards are needed to be printed?

rbiemer
03-26-2015, 04:20
OK. I have just responded to the last emails I received about our project and we are at 39 of us!
I will send out the list to every one in the next day or two.

Good turn out, folks!
to quote my self:
Plan on mailing your cards out NO sooner than 26 April.

And please have 'em all in the mail by 26 May.

Now, I just need to shoot a bit more and then to decide which photo to use. The tough part begins!

Warm regards,
Rob

back alley
03-26-2015, 06:32
so...39 of us eh?

1/pick image
2/get image printed
3/mail post cards

#1 is the hardest part!!

raid
03-26-2015, 11:12
Add the "students" to the list?"

rbiemer
03-26-2015, 11:21
Add the "students" to the list?"

Altogether we are 39 including Bojan's kids.
I should have been more specific, sorry!

raid
03-26-2015, 11:24
So we could order 40 copies or so.

bence8810
03-26-2015, 16:37
Is the time up - can we start planning with this final number (40) ?

Thanks,
Ben

benji77
03-28-2015, 16:15
Just a note on using RC paper as a postcard as I tested a 4R copy in my local mail.

The ink from the postal services (that stamp the postage stamp) smudges on the RC. There is also a bar code stamped on the RC paper, but that seems to be OK.

To mitigate this and minimize missing cards, I will be gluing a piece of paper/card on the back of the RC :)

rbiemer
03-30-2015, 12:31
I just emailed everybody our list!
If you emailed me about part 6 and haven't got a response, please email me again at the address in my first post in this thread.
If you haven't got the list, please let me know and I will send it again.

PLEASE check your address on the list to be sure I got it right when I put our list together!
Let me know right away if your address is not correct so I can fix it!

The group of kids Bojan asked about is on the list along with the email he sent me with their names. 6 kids and 6 cards, please.

Let the fun begin!

Rob

back alley
03-30-2015, 12:32
mine is fine...

now i'm in a panic as i still need to pick an image!!

raid
03-30-2015, 14:22
My address had an error that Rob corrected in a follow-up email.

kdemas
03-30-2015, 14:26
Mine is good. I look forward to seeing everyone's images!

Kent

bence8810
03-30-2015, 15:07
Address looks good - thank you!

Benji77 - thanks for the tip on the RC thingy. Will need to do something about that, the paper glued on the back sounds good!

I should try to mail a test card soon too!
Ben

rbiemer
04-07-2015, 06:51
One of the previous participants wanted to join in for part 6 but sent his info to the part 5 email address.
That has been corrected and I have sent his info out to y'all.
This puts us at 40 total, so 39 cards for each of us to mail out.

Rob

back alley
04-07-2015, 06:59
all ready to hit 'buy' on moo.com...50 postcards at 10% off...
just need the resolve to be ok with my image choice!

back alley
04-07-2015, 20:22
just ordered my post cards!
should be here by the end of the month...
as an incentive to get more business they have provided a code for new customers, my friends, where i get credit on my account and you get 10% off...so,
if you want 10% off your first order from moo then use the code below

http://www.moo.com/share/nmthpq

michaelwj
04-07-2015, 23:05
all ready to hit 'buy' on moo.com...50 postcards at 10% off...
just need the resolve to be ok with my image choice!

It's hard isn't it!
I got 50 too, some for family and friends.

fdarnell
04-09-2015, 19:15
for anyone interested, I have a pdf of the addresses, set up for an avery 5161 (20 labels) letter size - pretty much only useable for US since we have the odd letter vs. A4 the rest of the standardized world has :)

Please PM me for the pdf.

back alley
04-17-2015, 11:45
has anyone tallied up where all the addresses are?
meaning how many to the usa...canada...europe etc?

thinking about buying stamps and the postage is different to various places....

back alley
04-17-2015, 19:33
my postcards arrived today!
the small printed image looks so different from a much larger screen shot!
they printed it a bit warmer than the original but i think it's ok...

benji77
04-17-2015, 19:52
I thought I passed the most difficult hurdle of selecting and darkroom printing the shot...but now I go into the stage of sticking the RC paper with a white card. This is more complicated that I planned :)

kxl
04-17-2015, 20:27
Just emailed the Avery 5160 template (MS Word) with addresses to all RFF Postcard #6 participants.

back alley
04-17-2015, 20:46
Just emailed the Avery 5160 template (MS Word) with addresses to all RFF Postcard #6 participants.

thanks!
but without a printer i'll be handwriting all 40!

just sent an email to moo complaining that the image is too warm & green...
when do we mail these out?
just checked the dates...i might be able to get them reprinted and sent on time...

jmilkins
04-18-2015, 12:35
Thanks for the labels Keith.

And Joe - from the OP.

"Plan on mailing your cards out NO sooner than 26 April.

And please have 'em all in the mail by 26 May."

Which means we have a little bit of time. ..probably a good thing!

back alley
04-18-2015, 12:39
Thanks for the labels Keith.

And Joe - from the OP.

"Plan on mailing your cards out NO sooner than 26 April.

And please have 'em all in the mail by 26 May."

Which means we have a little bit of time. ..probably a good thing!

i saw that...mired in the decision about reprinting, reprinting in colour and taking a chance or going to b&w...so stressful...;)

bence8810
04-19-2015, 17:50
I thought I passed the most difficult hurdle of selecting and darkroom printing the shot...but now I go into the stage of sticking the RC paper with a white card. This is more complicated that I planned :)

I haven't even started :( Will be late as I have back to back business trips until the 16th of May.

Can you let me know what's the best method you found so far?
I am worried about the RC cards too and the fact we can't easily stick the stamp on it.

Ben

benji77
04-19-2015, 20:12
I haven't even started :( Will be late as I have back to back business trips until the 16th of May.

Can you let me know what's the best method you found so far?
I am worried about the RC cards too and the fact we can't easily stick the stamp on it.

Ben

I printed via Ilford's 3.5 x 5.5 inch RC paper. To avoid the smudging, I bought Bestform's 6" x 4" Plain White cards (those that we use for presentations/emcee notes etc) to be pasted on the back of the RC paper.

The Bestform cards are larger, so I will have to cut them individually to fit the Ilfords.

So in short - I will have to :

Write the details on the Bestform > Cut to size > Stick 'em on the RC via spray glue > stick the stamps.

You can do it the other way around, but I cant risk losing the print due to errors as I have to book the local darkroom for use :)

bence8810
04-19-2015, 21:16
I printed via Ilford's 3.5 x 5.5 inch RC paper. To avoid the smudging, I bought Bestform's 6" x 4" Plain White cards (those that we use for presentations/emcee notes etc) to be pasted on the back of the RC paper.

The Bestform cards are larger, so I will have to cut them individually to fit the Ilfords.

So in short - I will have to :

Write the details on the Bestform > Cut to size > Stick 'em on the RC via spray glue > stick the stamps.

You can do it the other way around, but I cant risk losing the print due to errors as I have to book the local darkroom for use :)

Thanks for this Benji!
I do have a darkroom so it isn't that bad. My paper of choice was Fuji AM RC which has an odd size just a ted under 5x7. I will try to mail a card tomorrow to test it. Might send it to you if you don't mind, not with the intended photo of course.

Ben

benji77
04-20-2015, 03:20
Thanks for this Benji!
.Might send it to you if you don't mind, not with the intended photo of course.

Ben

I don't know who would turn down such an offer :). 5x7 is actually a better size, unfortunately 5x7 paper were sold out at my local shop.

Pherdinand
04-20-2015, 03:47
would it be inappropriate to send a selfportrait as postcard?lol

dct
04-20-2015, 05:01
We defined there are no limits (apart from NSFW pictures :o ) regarding the topic of the postcard. Why not a selfie?

seakayaker1
04-20-2015, 05:03
A self portrait would be fine, looking forward to receiving your selection!

Pherdinand
04-20-2015, 05:07
haha, no, it's gonna be somethin else. i have an idea about it already, just need to find an evening to put it together and order the cards.

bence8810
04-20-2015, 20:14
I don't know who would turn down such an offer :). 5x7 is actually a better size, unfortunately 5x7 paper were sold out at my local shop.

I got busy yesterday but will print tonight and send tomorrow.
5x7 is oversize for Japan post unfortunately.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/postcard_en.html

According to this - it'll need to be max 12cm x 23.5cm but the long side needs to be 1.4x the length of the short side.

The 5x7 paper would be 12.7cm x 17.78cm - too long on the short side.
I bought paper that's 12cm x 16.5cm, Fuji's smallest kind. The only problem is that the long side isn't 1.4 times longer than the short side. What a confusing requirement. 16.8cm should be the long side. I am hoping they won't measure the 3mm's which is why I'll send the test to try them out.

Will post back tomorrow.
Ben

bence8810
04-21-2015, 18:34
Hello again,

Benji - the card is on the way.
Went to Japan Post this morning to mail it - the lady immediately took out a little plastic template with different markings on it. I took a photo but it was all so quick so it ended up being blurry.

http://www.celifornia.com/documents/uploadedimages/PostCard_RFF_Round6.jpg

Anyways - the card went off just fine despite it being bigger than a standard postcard, charged a little extra for it. I paid 90yen which translates to about $0.75 US.

I tried two pens when addressing the card. The first one was water based and while it ended up eventually drying, it took a really long time and until it was firm I could smudge it very easily. The second try was an oil or alcohol based felt tip pen which worked much better.

The stamp in Japan is something pre-printed and comes from a feeder-machine that was quickly and seemingly firmly glued to the card immediately. I didn't see any manual stamps used so hopefully no further smudging.

Please post back once you receive it - the lady said it should take a week to 10 days.

Cheers,
Ben

benji77
04-21-2015, 19:41
Japan Post sure is strict eh!
Sure thing! I'll update you when I recieve the card. Thanks Ben!

bence8810
04-22-2015, 00:46
Japan Post sure is strict eh!
Sure thing! I'll update you when I recieve the card. Thanks Ben!

Wouldn't imagine Sing Post being more lenient either...
Anyhow - the most important thing is the card is accepted and despite a slightly higher cost (0.10US), i can go ahead with my plan to wet-print the cards.

I will need to do this in mid may - sorry all for being late with it. I am going on a business trip this Saturday and won't return until the 16th of may.

When you printed yours - how did you develop them? Can you develop multiple cards in the same tray?
I have trays up to 14x17 size so I could fit 4 cards side by side - maybe 8 if I put them back to back. Is it safe to do so? Was thinking about using two safe boxes - one for the new paper and one for the exposed ones. Print them all one after another and then develop all at the same time in 10 or so batches. Let me know what you did to get yours done.

Looking forward to hearing from you and the card's arrival.

Ben

Lauffray
04-24-2015, 05:44
Just sent mine this morning !
Raised eyebrows when I asked for 39 stamps :D

benji77
04-24-2015, 19:26
Hi Ben
I exposed a set of 6-8 cards, and developed them as a set till i finished all 39pcs. To play it safe, I made sure all the prints did not overlap in the tray.

I used white glue for the white card to the print, instead of spray glue as I felt it was less messy. Didn't want my sticky fingers to mark the print. :)

Will update once I receive your print Ben. Thanks!

ColSebastianMoran
04-25-2015, 16:27
FWIW, here in the NE US, I get my postcards printed at Staples. Thanks, Keith, for the address template.

Mine are in the mail. Great Blues flying on the way to all of you! Hope you enjoy.

michaelwj
04-26-2015, 16:46
I just thought I'd remind everyone who is mailing out 39 cards that you should never question Rob. From the original post;

We each mail the same card to all the other folks on the list. So, if there are 40 people again, we each would mail 39 cards. Of the same image.

I'll have mine in the mail this week. I'm going to stagger them so they all hopefully arrive at the same time.

benji77
04-26-2015, 17:03
39 cards from me are on their way!

back alley
04-27-2015, 06:17
just re-ordered my image as a black & white...so i'm going from being finished early to being finished late.

rbiemer
04-27-2015, 08:19
I just thought I'd remind everyone who is mailing out 39 cards that you should never question Rob.
I haven't been around here much for the last couple of weeks; too much work stuff and some difficult family stuff havwe kept me occupied and distracted, BUT this mad me laugh! Thanks!

Anyway, part of why I have generally for these exchanges promoted a month for mailing is so that folks aren't too pressured about deadlines. I aim to keep the project relatively casual.

A deadline helps me stay, err, focused on the project but too short a time frame doesn't give me enough time to shoot, edit, and get the cards mailed out.
As I type this, I have shot and chosen what I am going to be sending. I still need to get the cards made and mailed.
Warm regards,
Rob

Red Rock Bill
04-27-2015, 08:27
cards are in the mail...regards,Bill

seakayaker1
04-27-2015, 09:55
Ordered mine today from MOO. Procrastination was worthwhile since MOO is now offering a 25 % discount which ends in a couple of days.

Delivery should be on May 8th, so should be in the mail by May 11th.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's postcard!

dfranklin
04-27-2015, 16:30
FWIW, here in the NE US, I get my postcards printed at Staples. Thanks, Keith, for the address template.

Mine are in the mail. Great Blues flying on the way to all of you! Hope you enjoy.

Rick, your card arrived today! Beautiful shot--I'm looking forward to seeing the others!

Mine are in the mail as of this afternoon...

David

kxl
04-27-2015, 17:37
My local printer just sent me an email to tell me that my postcards are ready for pickup. So, I'm mailing mine sometime this week.

fdarnell
04-27-2015, 18:57
set to moo today, and got the discount. Hope it comes out well.

Hang on to it folks, it's a photo of a small restaurant/bar in the middle of the current rioting, looting and burning. Probably won't be there in the morning.

So sad, Baltimore was a great place for street photography and espresso and even kids activities.

back alley
04-28-2015, 11:11
just received email saying my (new) moo cards should be here by mid may!

benji77
04-29-2015, 16:15
Thanks for this Benji!
I do have a darkroom so it isn't that bad. My paper of choice was Fuji AM RC which has an odd size just a ted under 5x7. I will try to mail a card tomorrow to test it. Might send it to you if you don't mind, not with the intended photo of course.

Ben

Hi Ben

Thank you for the sample card, I have received it safe and sound this morning, and I must say this size is just right!

motion_runner
04-29-2015, 19:36
I received my first card yesterday. Thank you Jerome.

bence8810
04-29-2015, 22:13
Hi Ben Thank you for the sample card, I have received it safe and sound this morning, and I must say this size is just right!

Hi Benji. Thanks for posting back - good to know the card works!

This is the smallest Fuji paper available so if it does the trick, I'll be printing away!

Thanks,
Ben

Pherdinand
04-29-2015, 23:56
i'm impressed- yesterday i received the first card, from Lauffray- took less than 5 days from Montreal to the Netherlands.
Nice!

I've ordered mine yesterday, to be mailed out 2nd week of May.
I've picked a "landscape" shot...well...kind of.

robert blu
04-30-2015, 02:28
My cards too will arrive the second week of may, than I'll need another week to write (I like hand writing!) all the addresses and send...
robert

Pherdinand
04-30-2015, 09:23
And today i have received some great blues :) nice!

krötenblender
05-01-2015, 01:47
Got my first two cards this week. Thank you, I love coming home and finding those cards.

I will send mine tomorrow. Sorry for not writing all by hand, I just haven't the time currently. You wouldn't be able to read my writing , anyway... :rolleyes:

milosdevino
05-01-2015, 03:26
Just ordered mine from Moo. Delivery circa 21/5. I'm getting excited!

fdarnell
05-01-2015, 09:04
Have four cards so far, received my order from Moo today - only 4 days with the standard shipping!! Very nice quality. I'm trying for a Portriga look and I think they came pretty close, although it should have just a tad more contrast. It's more like the old-fashioned "repro prints".

They drop in the mail today, thanks to all who contributed and to the support with generating the address lists, as this made it possible for one day turn-around!

If someone does not get a card from me - Paul in Lafayette, LA, within the month, please let me know by PM and I'll try to get you the image so you'll have a complete collection.

Most fun I've had with $100 in a while (maybe sheltered life:confused:). Can't wait for #7.

SamShio
05-01-2015, 10:07
I have three cards so far. Need to write on my cards and drop them in the mail.

randolph45
05-01-2015, 10:24
Got my first two cards this week. Thank you, I love coming home and finding those cards.

I will send mine tomorrow. Sorry for not writing all by hand, I just haven't the time currently. You wouldn't be able to read my writing , anyway... :rolleyes:

My writing is also not so good so all my cards are printed:eek:

krötenblender
05-02-2015, 06:44
Got a postcard from Singapore today. That was quick, I guess. Great picture, reminds us (my wife loves to see the postcards as well) on Elliott Erwitt.

raid
05-02-2015, 09:06
I have received 5 cards so far.

back alley
05-04-2015, 16:29
double whammy today...got my first postcard...great blue herons...and my new b&w version moo postcards!
time for stamps and addresses!

jmilkins
05-05-2015, 01:19
Very excited - first 3 for me in Australia today. Mine won't arrive from Moo til 22nd May so I will just squeeze into the send deadline.

The kids are stoked - actual mail! We are looking up where they come from in the atlas - an actual atlas!

Lauffray
05-05-2015, 04:15
Got three cards so far, this is getting exciting

benji77
05-05-2015, 05:12
Very excited - first 3 for me in Australia today.

The kids are stoked - actual mail! We are looking up where they come from in the atlas - an actual atlas!

Lol. This is funny.

back alley
05-05-2015, 05:37
i need a favour...can someone email me the list?
i brought the cards to address at work but forgot the list!
doh...

back alley
05-05-2015, 07:01
got one, thanks!

back alley
05-05-2015, 11:31
just addressed 10 cards...my hand is all cramped up now!

Red Rock Bill
05-05-2015, 12:03
I have 5 now...looking good......Bill

Jamie Pillers
05-05-2015, 12:16
Hi Rob,
Yesterday I was cleaning out/rearranging the office when I came across the photo book I made with the postcards from Postcard Projects 1 & 2. Really wonderful images, now... looking back. I remember when I was receiving them, I didn't know if I thought it was all worth the effort. But now... looking at these cards, its a smashingly good collection of images. Now I'm sorry I haven't participated in subsequent Projects 3 - 6. I'm very much looking forward to #7, when I can hopefully jump back in. Thanks a lot for keeping this idea alive.
Jamie

back alley
05-05-2015, 12:23
bleery eyed but done...all addressed...now for the stamps and then the mailing!

bojanfurst
05-05-2015, 15:29
Hello all,

Me and my photo group are still waiting for the delivery from Moo. I received two postcards so far, but others in the group received anywhere from 2 to 4. Lots of happy faces around the table tonight! That's living on an island in the middle of the North Atlantic for you - postal service makes no sense, but eventually everything gets delivered. Our cards will be on the way as soon as we get them.

Pherdinand
05-07-2015, 04:56
just finished addressing and all ready... all by hand...maybe was a bad idea after all- retiring now to rest my hand lol

nice cards so far!

benji77
05-07-2015, 05:22
Yipee! Four high quality, distinctive cards with lovely stamps arrived today!

back alley
05-07-2015, 05:36
gonna stamp mine today and mail out after work!
got another card in yesterday's mail...all looking great so far!

this is fun...

raid
05-07-2015, 06:58
I need to decide which image to print! MOO is waiting ....

seakayaker1
05-07-2015, 07:29
Cards arrived from MOO and I have them addressed. I will not make it to the Post Office until Friday morning to pick up the stamps and drop them in the mail.

Love the diversity of people that we have in this round.
3 from Australia
9 from Canada
2 from Germany
1 from Greece
1 from India
1 from Italy
1 from Japan
1 from the Netherlands
1 from Russia
1 from Singapore
1 from Switzerland
1 from the United Kingdom
17 from the United States

I have received 5 cards so far and love coming home from work and checking the mailbox to see if a postcard is in the mail!

dct
05-07-2015, 12:08
I need to decide which image to print! MOO is waiting ....Always the same problem: me too!
This weekend I will pull the trigger. Enough indecision.

back alley
05-07-2015, 12:32
yeah, when choosing an image you just have to bite the bullet and go for it!
so far there has been quite the variety of images picked...

mine are now stamped and will hit the mailbox on my way home from work.

fdarnell
05-07-2015, 18:40
Thanks to all who are participating! I've received 7 cards so far. I sent mine from moo to myself and it showed some damage. Some of the others too - look like from moo have some small marks from the post office. Not much you can do about it.

However, what's most interesting is the card from Benjamin arrived today from Singapore. It's a regular print - I love the feel of the card, and it's in perfect condition! Makes me long for the darkroom with its smooth feel. Round 7 I will have to perfect the delivery but that means printer investment.

My five year old wants to go to the PO Box now to see what's arrived. She's learning about the stamps. She loves all the pics from everywhere as well. It's a very nice experience. Can't wait for the next one.

back alley
05-07-2015, 19:18
mailed!!

michaelwj
05-07-2015, 21:09
mailed!!

Me too

10 char

randolph45
05-07-2015, 21:46
Moo says delivery on the 11th,stamps are bought and thanks to KXL's Template the labels are printed. Mailing will be as soon as I have the cards:)

randolph45
05-08-2015, 19:42
I spoke to soon.My Moo order came today!
However a mistake on my part when ordering gave me 20 good cards and 20 cards with backs and blank on the front:eek:
I have enough to send all international so they go out tomorrow:)
and the rest when they arrive around the 14th.

dct
05-09-2015, 07:04
14 cards received: Thank you all! Mine are finally ordered. Will post again when they are on the way to you.

raid
05-09-2015, 08:59
Just placed an order with MOO for fifty cards.
I am late, but I was very busy at work with final exams.

MOO said: Your estimated delivery date: May 21, 2015.
I will then make sure to mail out all cards before traveling.

raid
05-09-2015, 09:00
14 cards received: Thank you all! Mine are finally ordered. Will post again when they are on the way to you.

WOW. I received fewer cards!

seakayaker1
05-09-2015, 12:57
All the postcards were stamped and dropped off at the post office. The journey begins . . . . .

Received the following cards:

Received 8 cards to date: 6 from the USA and 2 from the International RFF Members!

01. Richard (ColSebastianMoran) Grantham, NH
02. Bill (Red Rock Bill), Gallup, NM
03. David (dfranklin), Cambridge, MA
04. Eric ( ) Eden Prairie, MN
05. Jerome (Lauffray) Montreal, Quebec, Canada
06. Paul ( ) Lafayette, LA
07. Benjamin(benji77) Singapore
08. Keith (kxl) Chino Hills, CA

4 black & white and 4 color.

Looking forward to receiving more.

dfranklin
05-10-2015, 05:53

I've received 9 so far. My wife and I are loving it. But USPS seems to have a machine specially designed to deface postcards: each card I've received has a vertical abrasion right down the middle. The beauty of the cards shines through, though!

David

jcrutcher
05-10-2015, 16:41
I have 8!! Exciting to get the mail....

Mine are in the hands of the Postal service.

Jim

ColSebastianMoran
05-10-2015, 16:44
I've received 9 so far. My wife and I are loving it. But USPS seems to have a machine specially designed to deface postcards: each card I've received has a vertical abrasion right down the middle. The beauty of the cards shines through, though!

David

David, I've been seeing the same thing up here in NH. Some machine at the USPS is grinding off a spot of each postcard. Still very enjoyable, yes, but I wish our USPS was doing a better job.

Complained to our local postmaster who said a very short "sorry" and then blew me off.

back alley
05-10-2015, 19:27
same here in canada...only one arrived without a blemish so far...

randolph45
05-10-2015, 22:01
Blemishes are part of the charm with these cards.I only replaced one card in round four that was badly damaged in transit from NYC.The sender was kind enough to replace it for me:)

back alley
05-13-2015, 07:33
i feel like a dope!
so many great cards arriving, some with nice personal notes written on the back, some with titles, some with info about the shot or gear used in taking the shot...i put my name so folks would know who sent the card...i could have put so much more! i'll do it differently next time...

fdarnell
05-13-2015, 11:08
Don't feel like a dope, Back Alley - I think all these cards a great in any form they come. Now for an update to all:

when I first joined this project everyone said use "Moo". I had never used them, went to their site and saw how much capability they have for personalization of these postcards. So my initial thought was to do 39 different images and a thumbnail of all on the address side. So i chose 39 images from "Louisiana cajun life", with captions, generated all the pdfs and uploaded to moo with one pdf for the address side. I duplicated one image and then ordered the 40 cards. I could have had 4 different address sides for the same price. Anyway, they arrive, I loved them, and then I re-read the instructions and saw that really it was supposed to be one image. I fretted over what to do, then chose the single image, reordered 40 cards and sent them out.

I've been looking at these 40 original run cards on my desk now for 4 weeks and after reading Back Alley's comment today, I decided to send them out. Sure it cost me more postage, but I wanted everyone to receive what I think demonstrates the capability of the process. Almost everyone here has a great affinity for "gear and process" and I think that moo.com has a great process. So you all will get a second card from me, which showcases their capability. I've no connection to them in any way, just thought some of you might appreciate seeing what they can do. I'm planning on developing a business card series in the same way, but I've got to get some meaningful images relative to my business. Most of the images on this second mailing all come from locations in LA where I have clients, some are taken on clients' properties as part of the work done for them. Some in locations where new projects will be.

In any case, I'm most interested to get feedback from the group in Canada with the large number of students - they will be able to share their experience with this and as a group be able to comment about the difference and the impact.

Ulitmately, I preferred the single image, because it forces you to pick something you think is the best. I thought my "landscapey" shots would be cliche, but now I find myself really liking the one's I'm getting since they are places I've never been.

Thanks to all the participants. Here is a link to all the thumbnails (http://www.impactdevelopment.net/rff/rffPCP6.jpg) if you want more detail.

seakayaker1
05-13-2015, 12:09

I've been looking at these 40 original run cards on my desk now for 4 weeks and after reading Back Alley's comment today, I decided to send them out. Sure it cost me more postage, but I wanted everyone to receive what I think demonstrates the capability of the process. Almost everyone here has a great affinity for "gear and process" and I think that moo.com has a great process. So you all will get a second card from me, which showcases their capability. I've no connection to them in any way, just thought some of you might appreciate seeing what they can do.

Thanks to all the participants. Here is a link to all the thumbnails (http://www.impactdevelopment.net/rff/rffPCP6.jpg) if you want more detail.

Thanks for the extra card and the link to all 40!

..... I do plan to reciprocate and find a card from one of the other RFF postcard projects and forward to you!

back alley
05-13-2015, 12:10
i can send the colour version of my card...

ian_watts
05-13-2015, 12:14
I'm very much enjoying receiving the cards (I think I have 7 so far) – many thanks to all involved. I must apologise for being very slow getting my cards in the post but they will (eventually) wing their way to everyone.:)

seakayaker1
05-13-2015, 12:29
I'm very much enjoying receiving the cards (I think I have 7 so far) – many thanks to all involved. I must apologise for being very slow getting my cards in the post but they will (eventually) wing their way to everyone.:)

..... no worries about the timing, what I love is the postcards arrive over several weeks, the anticipation of what is in the mailbox when coming home makes this a fun and enjoyable project!

randolph45
05-14-2015, 18:17
My Moo reprint arrived yesterday and went to post office:)
Moo sent entire order,40 cards again instead of the 20 I needed that arrived with blank photos.I think the mistake was mine because I had two backs on the form,one blank front and one with photo.
I think I will look up previous card participants who are not in this round and send the extras to them:)

fdarnell
05-14-2015, 19:45
I made the same mistake with the moo.com website on a subsequent order for another project. I got lucky that I happened to catch it by deciding to look at the card just one last time before I clicked submit and low and behold, on of the orders had a blank front. It's something to do with how you upload stuff.

Sorry you did not catch it. My usual printer would call me if I sent something blank to them, but on the internet stuff and it's gang run, or however they do it, no way.

Still think it's a great service, but check and double-check

back alley
05-14-2015, 19:58
no cards today...so i took another look at the ones that have already arrived...some very interesting shots, i am drawn to the ones that are closer in style to my way of seeing the world but they all have something worth looking at...this is a very interesting experience.

benji77
05-14-2015, 20:28
I am going to do this yearly as it is absolutely fun and invigorating. I hope it spurs me on to get better shots as well. 8 cards and counting....

Now I am considering how I shall store/display the cards, and a scrap book sounds like the best way (for me).

back alley
05-14-2015, 20:31
i think i'll be saving mine in the envelope like container that my moo cards were shipped in...

bence8810
05-15-2015, 07:18
I am going to do this yearly as it is absolutely fun and invigorating. I hope it spurs me on to get better shots as well. 8 cards and counting.... Now I am considering how I shall store/display the cards, and a scrap book sounds like the best way (for me).

Benji, your card (among others) have come in and looks fantastic! Good work on the gluing.

I got my hands on some expired Forte fibre 9x12cm paper so I'll be using that instead of RC. Hope you guys will enjoy the rawness of it, landing into Tokyo tomorrow morning and will get started on the printing asap.

Ben

fdarnell
05-15-2015, 17:02
Today I received the card from my second mailing that I sent to myself. I'm doing this to see how they hold up. This card as pretty damaged, and all I did was mail it to myself through my own post office where my box is located.

What's most interesting is that the image on the front, the color image, actually appears to be printed on some short of thin plastic sheet and then laminated to the card stock. The backside is matte and clearly printed on the paper, but the front is peeling off, a strip about 2 inches by .125 inches and I could peel the image away if so inclined.

Just curious if others are receiving any cards with this type of defect. This is not so good for me, as if looks poor construction quality. Here is a LINK (http://impactdevelopment.net/rff/moo_laminate.jpg) to image of damage.

randolph45
05-15-2015, 19:50
Today I received the card from my second mailing that I sent to myself. I'm doing this to see how they hold up. This card as pretty damaged, and all I did was mail it to myself through my own post office where my box is located.

What's most interesting is that the image on the front, the color image, actually appears to be printed on some short of thin plastic sheet and then laminated to the card stock. The backside is matte and clearly printed on the paper, but the front is peeling off, a strip about 2 inches by .125 inches and I could peel the image away if so inclined.

Just curious if others are receiving any cards with this type of defect. This is not so good for me, as if looks poor construction quality. Here is a LINK (http://impactdevelopment.net/rff/moo_laminate.jpg) to image of damage.

I always mail a card to my self and damage was minimal this time.Moo was used also.

seakayaker1
05-15-2015, 20:35
I have used moo for all 6 rounds and have not seen or heard of any of the cards I sent having the picture peel off as you have experienced. I would send a picture of that along to Moo and request a refund or a reprint of the postcards.

..... hopefully it is just that one.

benji77
05-15-2015, 22:03
Benji, your card (among others) have come in and looks fantastic! Good work on the gluing.

I got my hands on some expired Forte fibre 9x12cm paper so I'll be using that instead of RC. Hope you guys will enjoy the rawness of it, landing into Tokyo tomorrow morning and will get started on the printing asap.

Ben

Thank you, I am glad you like it.
Fibre paper! I loveeeeee! Lol!

raid
05-16-2015, 10:36
MOO to me: Your estimated delivery date: May 21, 2015

randolph45
05-16-2015, 11:01
MOO to me: Your estimated delivery date: May 21, 2015

Raid
Moo's estimates always seem on the long side so your cards should arrive much sooner.
My own reprints arrived less than 3 days after my mistake was reported to Moo:)

zauhar
05-19-2015, 13:00
Hey folks, just got my cards out.

Kind of an oddball image, but each card is a custom burned artifact, made with love! (Sort of like SpongeBob and Krabby patties...)

I have really enjoyed the wonderful cards I received so far, got to review them tonight .

Randy

raid
05-19-2015, 14:23
I received today my cards from MOO. I will look up the file with all addresses that Keith put together for the labels.

raid
05-19-2015, 14:24
Raid
Moo's estimates always seem on the long side so your cards should arrive much sooner.
My own reprints arrived less than 3 days after my mistake was reported to Moo:)

You are right!

raid
05-19-2015, 14:28
I goofed greatly. I sent Robert by mistake Keith's list for last year's project. I hope Robert has discovered my error on time.

bence8810
05-19-2015, 17:02
Finally done printing my cards. Developed all in one evening, 8 in the tray at any given time. They are all dried and now resting under a pile of books / toolbox / pakon scanner etc at a combined weight of about 20KGs. Hope this will get them flat!

Should get them into the mail by the end of this week - just a few days before the cutoff time. Apologies for the delay.

Ben

raid
05-19-2015, 17:19
I hope that either Robert realized my error or that the wrong recipents are willing for forward their cards to the correct addresses.

bence8810
05-19-2015, 18:38
I hope that either Robert realized my error or that the wrong recipents are willing for forward their cards to the correct addresses.

Raid - are you saying the addresses we all received are wrong? I haven't yet sent my cards yet so just wondering...

Ben

raid
05-19-2015, 18:45
No. I am saying that I sent Robert by mistake the list for RFF 5. The new list is correct.

kxl
05-19-2015, 18:48
Raid - are you saying the addresses we all received are wrong? I haven't yet sent my cards yet so just wondering...

Ben
On 4/17, I sent an email to all participants, and included an attached MS Word label template named 'RFF Postcards 6.docx' The one that I sent is accurate.

I'm inferring that Raid must have forwarded to Robert a list that I had created from RFF #5.
So, if you used the list that I sent (RFF Postcards 6.docx) you should be okay.

PS - Raid beat me to it....

-Keith

zauhar
05-19-2015, 18:59
Ok. The list that I had came from Rob and had some 'extras', some kids at a half way house in Newfoundland. That is the correct list , I hope?

Randy

back alley
05-19-2015, 19:06
mail check…has anyone received a card from me yet?

kxl
05-19-2015, 19:11
Ok. The list that I had came from Rob and had some 'extras', some kids at a half way house in Newfoundland. That is the correct list , I hope?

Randy

Yup........

raid
05-20-2015, 03:17
mail check…has anyone received a card from me yet?

I did yesterday.

robert blu
05-20-2015, 04:36
No. I am saying that I sent Robert by mistake the list for RFF 5. The new list is correct.

Hi Raid I'm traveling now and the connection is bad. I hAve cards left when back home I'll check the addresses no problem if I have sent a few more cards :) I'll resend them to the corrected addresses maybe some are common between the two list !
robert

raid
05-20-2015, 05:37
Hi Raid I'm traveling now and the connection is bad. I hAve cards left when back home I'll check the addresses no problem if I have sent a few more cards :) I'll resend them to the corrected addresses maybe some are common between the two list !
robert

I will make it up to you when we meet this summer. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

dct
05-20-2015, 05:58
I stand corrected!
Wasn't at home and I was told 14 are in (10 days ago): They were 7, not 14!

As of today I'm at 9 cards. Mine did arrive at my postbox and I will be able to write and send this upcoming weekend.

raid
05-20-2015, 06:03
:) I am soooooo elated!

raid
05-20-2015, 06:12
It may be more efficient to send the 4 cards for the people at The Lilly Building in one envelope. Attn: 4 names? Would this be OK?

raid
05-20-2015, 06:17
Robert (in Italy) is not listed on Keith's mailing list! Am I correct? The only person in Italy listed is Max.

motion_runner
05-20-2015, 06:33
Yes, Raid, you are correct. I already informed Rob about it at the beginning of the month. He did not answer. Probably he is occupied otherwise. Maybe somebody should spread robert_blu's address via Gmail?

raid
05-20-2015, 07:29
I have just emailed all participants about this error. I also need Robert's mailing address. Was it in Rob's original list?

raid
05-20-2015, 07:31
It was not on Rob's list!

seakayaker1
05-20-2015, 07:41
It may be more efficient to send the 4 cards for the people at The Lilly Building in one envelope. Attn: 4 names? Would this be OK?

There are six names on the list for the Lilly Building.

I sent a card to each of the kids to individualize the experience for them.

raid
05-20-2015, 08:08
Yes, they are six. I will do the same. I am ready mail out all postcards.

kxl
05-20-2015, 08:16
It was not on Rob's list!

I don't think he signed up for Rff-6 in time,but wanted to join after the deadline. I don't mind sending one if we can get jus address.

raid
05-20-2015, 09:15
I just mailed all on another person left out, when compared with what we did last year. Am I right?

raid
05-20-2015, 09:15
I don't think he signed up for Rff-6 in time,but wanted to joi. After the deadline. I don't mind sending one if we can get jus address.

This may be it.
I emailed to all his address.

back alley
05-20-2015, 09:49
i'm so confused...;)

Lauffray
05-20-2015, 10:39
i'm so confused...;)

Me too, I've already sent out mine :D

seakayaker1
05-20-2015, 10:47
FWIW, the email that Rob sent out had 39 addresses on it, which was the number of people who signed up. He did send out a couple of corrections within a couple of days of the original.

I did hand address 38 postcards from the list provided and mailed them. I did not send one to myself.

If someone did not receive one, please let me know since I had a few extra printed to send to family & friends.

Keep 'em coming, I look forward to them when I get home each evening!

robert blu
05-20-2015, 11:05
Sorry my friends I am afraid it was my mistake. I think I emailed rob the application for this round but it is possible I didn't or without knowing I canceled my mail before sending :eek:This could explain why I didn't find (received) the mail with the addresses which I believed to have lost. This is why I ask Raid to forward me the list, which Raid did but unfortunately the wrong one!
Now I have still a few cards which I could send when back home, if you already sent yours do not worry about me, I'll be more careful next time! Sorry if I create confusion.
robert

back alley
05-20-2015, 11:09
i'm sure that i counted 38 cards as i bought 38 stamps...some for domestic use, some for the states and some for international...
if anyone on the list does not get one from me, i have a few extra so just let me know.

raid
05-20-2015, 13:09
I say that Robert "is in" due to goodwill.

kxl
05-20-2015, 14:05

I've a got a few extra cards. I'll mail one in the next few days.

michaelwj
05-20-2015, 16:22
So just to make this clear,
Robert meant to sign up but didn't.
He sent cards out to the RFF5 list.
If possible, RFF6 members send one to Robert (address sent by Raid via email).
Robert will send cards to the RFF6 list (not duplicated by the RFF5 list)
Correct?

raid
05-20-2015, 16:26
I think you got it right, Michael. Robert signed up for the RFF 6, but he may have missed the set deadline.

zauhar
05-20-2015, 17:02

I have a few extra cards ('seconds' that are not well-centered), I would be happy to include robert blu if I can get an address.

Randy

raid
05-20-2015, 17:30
Hi Randy,
I emailed today everyone here Robert's address.

seakayaker1
05-22-2015, 21:31
Received 17 cards to date: 11 from the USA and 6 from the International RFF Members!

01. Richard (ColSebastianMoran) Grantham, NH
02. Bill (Red Rock Bill), Gallup, NM
03. David (dfranklin), Cambridge, MA
04. Eric ( ) Eden Prairie, MN
05. Jerome (Lauffray) Montreal, Quebec, Canada
06. Paul (fdarnell) Lafayette, LA
07. Benjamin(benji77) Singapore
08. Keith (kxl) Chino Hills, CA
09. Clinton (SamShio) Richmond, VA
10. Stephan (krotenblender) Breman, Germany
11. Frank (motion runner) Mettmann, Germany
12. Jim (jcrutcher) Phoenix, AZ
13. Randy (Randolph45) Sacramento, CA
14. Joe (Back Alley) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
15. John (jweber3rd) Decatur, GA
16. Michael (michaelwj) Preston, Victoria, Australia
17. Randy (zauhar) Philadelphia, PA

9 black & white and 8 color.

Looking forward to receiving more.

Keep 'em coming!

robert blu
05-23-2015, 02:42
So just to make this clear,
Robert meant to sign up but didn't.
He sent cards out to the RFF5 list.
If possible, RFF6 members send one to Robert (address sent by Raid via email).
Robert will send cards to the RFF6 list (not duplicated by the RFF5 list)
Correct?

thanks,
if you have extra card and can send me I'll appreciate.Of course because it was my mistake if you have already sent all your cards do not worry, I understand it. Meantime I'll send my cards to the new list...
robert

raid
05-23-2015, 03:59
I mailed out my 40 cards 2 days ago.

back alley
05-23-2015, 05:06
16 in the mail so far…i deleted all my mail and need robert's address…i just checked my original mailing list and he/you are not on it…can someone pm it to me, please.

zauhar
05-23-2015, 07:20
thanks,
if you have extra card and can send me I'll appreciate.Of course because it was my mistake if you have already sent all your cards do not worry, I understand it. Meantime I'll send my cards to the new list...
robert

Robert, I can't find the message from Raid. Feel free to send me your addres at

[email protected]

Randy

raid
05-23-2015, 07:31
I just emailed all again Robert's address.

kdemas
05-23-2015, 11:28
I sent all mine out last night and this morning. Enjoying the cards I'm getting.

Kent

raid
05-23-2015, 11:52
I have received 19 cards so far.

dct
05-23-2015, 20:44
I have received 19 cards so far.
I'm at 15 from 14, because Paul (from Lafayette) sent me two: Thanks!
It was straining but my handwritten cards are now also ready to send.

dct
05-23-2015, 20:51
[...]when I first joined this project everyone said use "Moo". I had never used them, went to their site and saw how much capability they have for personalization of these postcards. So my initial thought was to do 39 different images and a thumbnail of all on the address side. So i chose 39 images from "Louisiana cajun life"[...]
Thanks for the 2nd card: I did enjoy it!
I use this variant of the MOO ordering process (making different prints) too, when I prepare a new series of private postcards where I only want 3 times the same image but totally 60 postcards (from 20 different subjects). It is a very good solution.

dct
05-23-2015, 21:09
Hello everybody,

I have a question for all of you. This is my third or fourth postcard round and one of my favourite things about rff. I am working on a long term photography project with a local organization working with youth.[...]

Bojan: I made a mistake regarding the number of cards I ordered (and used also outside this project) and at the end I hadn't enough cards to send the same project image also to the involved young people you listed.
But I still have some cards from our former postcard projects and filled in with those. I hope they will enjoy nevertheless.