PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

CameraQuest
01-06-2015, 10:41
Poll originally started by Raid.

This is a new version with more voting options.

Votes have been reset to zero.

Stephen

maggieo
01-08-2015, 15:39
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2835/9482493630_5737f5e375_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/frWfZu)
Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.5 Aspherical Lens, August 06, 2013 (https://flic.kr/p/frWfZu) by Maggie Osterberg (https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr

anerjee
01-08-2015, 16:27
In that case, mine would be the new M240 M-P. I've used it in the Leica showroom and someday I'll summon the courage to pull the trigger!

Keyne
01-08-2015, 17:30
M8 because I actually own that one. It's a good friend.

Huss
01-08-2015, 17:34
M9 (M-E)
Because I tested it against the M240 with the same lens, in the same lighting, with the same subject back to back, and preferred the results of the CCD sensor.

Mcary
01-08-2015, 17:44
M8 because that's the one I own and shoot with and while I do see myself getting a newer model I'm in no rush to do so anytime soon. So Yes I will like be one of those people still shooting with the M8 when the 10 year anniversary comes around in 2016 and even after that.

Kwesi
01-08-2015, 17:58
M240 - because your favorite M is the one in you are currently using :)

NeonKnight
01-08-2015, 18:06
The M8. I mostly shoot black and white and appreciate the extra infrared sensitivity of the M8's sensor. I also find the file size of its pictures more manageable than newer cameras'.

airfrogusmc
01-08-2015, 18:44
MM gets my vote. I think it's Leica's finest digital effort.

Manuel Patino
01-08-2015, 23:03
M 240, because that's what I have :D

jsrockit
01-09-2015, 05:34
Well, I've only used a M8 and M9, but would imagine I'd like the M240 the best since I prefer high ISO sensors and work mostly in color.

krötenblender
01-09-2015, 06:53
After owning R-D1, M9 and now M240 - the M240 wins in all but one aspects: the R-D1 is just the coolest digital camera with the most "analog" handling ever. But for everything else, the M240 wins.

Lss
01-09-2015, 08:53
Out of the Leica cameras I have only used the M8. I guess it makes it my favourite.

filmtwit
01-09-2015, 10:11
I had the M8.2 and hated it.
I have the M240 now and like it more then my Canon 6d.

Though, I still like my M7 the most.

Keyne
01-09-2015, 10:23
I think its interesting to see all the love for the M240. I have an M8 and when I handled an M240 it just felt too "advanced"/nonLeica like to me. However, I was in Hong Kong and all the menus were in Chinese but I just thought it felt too digital whereas the M8/M9/MM always felt to me almost like a film camera with digital... but not really a "digital" camera in the modern sense.

So is it the handling, the options (e.g. movie mode), the output, or the files produced (or all of the above)) that people like about the M240? Maybe I need to take another look at one but I was so turned off I was thinking I would just buy an M9 instead.

Godfrey
01-09-2015, 10:46
I think its interesting to see all the love for the M240. I have an M8 and when I handled an M240 it just felt too "advanced"/nonLeica like to me. However, I was in Hong Kong and all the menus were in Chinese but I just thought it felt too digital whereas the M8/M9/MM always felt to me almost like a film camera with digital... but not really a "digital" camera in the modern sense.

So is it the handling, the options (e.g. movie mode), the output, or the files produced (or all of the above)) that people like about the M240? Maybe I need to take another look at one but I was so turned off I was thinking I would just buy an M9 instead.

The M typ 240 has more features than the M8 and M9 series, so there are by necessity more controls in the menus to manage them. But if you don't use the features—if you're using the M240 the same way you use any Leica to do still image photography—it's no more complex to use than the M8/M9. It's more the same than it's different, in fact.

I don't own an M240 but have found it very appealing to use when I've handled one. The new control dial, operated by your thumb, is much nicer than the control dial ring on the M9. The new menu is a bit more complex than the one in the M9, but still quite simple and perfectly logical. A couple of firmware updates have improved a couple of the detail points of control interaction from the initial release too. I don't find the 1mm change in the shape of the baseplate and the 2oz more weight due to the larger battery to be noticeable if you're already used to the size and feel of the M9. Both M9 and M240 are quite noticeably larger and heavier if you've been shooting with the X typ 113 or M4-2

What I really like about the M240 is that the responsiveness of the camera is FAR better than that of the M9. The shutter is much more refined, the write to card is many times faster. Essentially, the M240 feels crisp and business-like: like it is always ready to shoot where the M9 always feels somewhat lethargically lagging behind.

There's been a lot of ballyhoo about the M9 sensor being superior to the M240. Having done enough experimentation with M240 files and compared them to the M9, I have to say they are different in color and texture, but the difference is a nuance that is most often completely lost if you're processing raw files to a finished product. The additional resolution and sensitivity of the M240 is welcome and it shows less moire than the M9.

All that said, I'm still quite pleased with using my M9 and will soldier on with it a while longer. I'll upgrade when it seems the right moment for me, but there is certainly no rush. Tossing about $8K cameras is not something I do capriciously...

G

Pioneer
01-09-2015, 12:12
Tried the M240 for a month and didn't care for it. Mostly personal and almost certainly tied to my own growth with the M9.

I am still learning how to use the MM but haven't fully come to grips with it. It is a very nice camera and it handles just like the M9 of course. But the photographs are different and require different treatment and a different mindset. I am not there yet but the camera has been patient with me.

I voted for the M9 because it has become an old friend just like my ZI. I know exactly how it works and it has been very reliable over the last 3 years of ownership. I know that others have had different experiences, many of them very frustrating, but I have not experienced any of the problems with my M9 that I have read about. Finally, the photographs I have been able to make with this camera still make me very happy. It does not hurt that there are many fine rangefinder lenses that compliment this camera very well.

I think that in my case this M9 came along just when I was becoming very serious about my own photographic journey. I have become a better photographer since I owned it. The camera didn't make that happen but it has been a partner in that journey. As you will agree, faithful partners are extremely important in any such growing and learning process. Since I still have much to learn I am very glad that this camera continues to support me so well.

Keyne
01-09-2015, 12:36
The M typ 240 has more features than the M8 and M9 series, so there are by necessity more controls in the menus to manage them. But if you don't use the features—if you're using the M240 the same way you use any Leica to do still image photography—it's no more complex to use than the M8/M9. It's more the same than it's different, in fact.

I don't own an M240 but have found it very appealing to use when I've handled one. The new control dial, operated by your thumb, is much nicer than the control dial ring on the M9. The new menu is a bit more complex than the one in the M9, but still quite simple and perfectly logical. A couple of firmware updates have improved a couple of the detail points of control interaction from the initial release too. I don't find the 1mm change in the shape of the baseplate and the 2oz more weight due to the larger battery to be noticeable if you're already used to the size and feel of the M9. Both M9 and M240 are quite noticeably larger and heavier if you've been shooting with the X typ 113 or M4-2

What I really like about the M240 is that the responsiveness of the camera is FAR better than that of the M9. The shutter is much more refined, the write to card is many times faster. Essentially, the M240 feels crisp and business-like: like it is always ready to shoot where the M9 always feels somewhat lethargically lagging behind.

There's been a lot of ballyhoo about the M9 sensor being superior to the M240. Having done enough experimentation with M240 files and compared them to the M9, I have to say they are different in color and texture, but the difference is a nuance that is most often completely lost if you're processing raw files to a finished product. The additional resolution and sensitivity of the M240 is welcome and it shows less moire than the M9.

All that said, I'm still quite pleased with using my M9 and will soldier on with it a while longer. I'll upgrade when it seems the right moment for me, but there is certainly no rush. Tossing about $8K cameras is not something I do capriciously...

G

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response. That makes a lot of sense to me and highlights some of the benefits of 240. Now maybe I need to wait for the M240 to come down in price and not the M9? :)

Keyne
01-09-2015, 13:17
Tried the M240 for a month and didn't care for it. Mostly personal and almost certainly tied to my own growth with the M9.

I am still learning how to use the MM but haven't fully come to grips with it. It is a very nice camera and it handles just like the M9 of course. But the photographs are different and require different treatment and a different mindset. I am not there yet but the camera has been patient with me.

I voted for the M9 because it has become an old friend just like my ZI. I know exactly how it works and it has been very reliable over the last 3 years of ownership. I know that others have had different experiences, many of them very frustrating, but I have not experienced any of the problems with my M9 that I have read about. Finally, the photographs I have been able to make with this camera still make me very happy. It does not hurt that there are many fine rangefinder lenses that compliment this camera very well.

I think that in my case this M9 came along just when I was becoming very serious about my own photographic journey. I have become a better photographer since I owned it. The camera didn't make that happen but it has been a partner in that journey. As you will agree, faithful partners are extremely important in any such growing and learning process. Since I still have much to learn I am very glad that this camera continues to support me so well.

Your comments about your M9 really resonated with me and my experience with my M8. I know people may be quick to bash Leicas as antiquated, costly, better options out there for price, etc. But for me shooting with a rangefinder works really well for me, my photography has improved, and most importantly my LOVE of photography and getting out there shooting has increased immensely. Its totally changed the hobby for me in a great way. They are lovely cameras.

Chris Bail
01-09-2015, 19:22
I voted M9. Having never tried the 240 or MM.

I had an R-D1 that was nice, but ended up selling it when Epson stopped supporting them.
Still have an M8 that I've really liked, but I like my new M9 more.

Keith
01-09-2015, 19:47
Had an M8 for three years and while it was an interesting camera it had flaws that a camera that cost that much shouldn't have had.

The 240 is the mature incarnation of what has gone before and because they got it right I paid the asking price ... which I wasn't about to do with the M9 or ME.

Lss
01-09-2015, 21:12
Had an M8 for three years and while it was an interesting camera it had flaws that a camera that cost that much shouldn't have had.
What flaws specifically do you mean?

horosu
01-09-2015, 22:30

Usable ISO up to 800, loud shutter noise, short battery life, sensor corrosion

Keith
01-09-2015, 22:34

The IR issue, limited ISO performance for low light shooting, shutter like a staple gun and I never really got on with the crop factor.

mani
01-09-2015, 22:44
Usable ISO up to 800, loud shutter noise, short battery life, sensor corrosion

The M8 doesn't suffer from sensor corrosion.

horosu
01-09-2015, 22:53
The M8 doesn't suffer from sensor corrosion.

Sorry, these were M9's flaws, at least for me as a former owner. I thought my answer was about this and not the M8

Lss
01-09-2015, 23:38
The IR issue, limited ISO performance for low light shooting, shutter like a staple gun and I never really got on with the crop factor.
Thanks. I have the shutter upgrade on my M8. It isn't bad at all in my books, but I hear the original is more noisy. Personally, I would probably use the IR cut filters also on the new M.

flyalf
01-10-2015, 02:54
M is for me the winner in terms of IQ, RD-1 in terms of handling (by far) :)

uhoh7
01-10-2015, 06:36
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7551/16215936616_4e024c0048_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16215936616/)
75 Luxy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16215936616/) by unoh7 (https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr

neonart
01-10-2015, 12:03
Had and M8, RD1, and got to play with an M9. (Also had lots of very capable AF digital bodies like the EM5, and RX1R) All very cool. The CCD Leicas have a unique look, and the RD1 is just a pleasure to use if one likes film cameras.

However, I wanted a digital rangefinder with the most versatility. I didn't want multiple cameras, just one. The M240 is the most versatile. ISO 100-4000 is useable (for me). Macro is possible with LV, so are long lenses. Battery life is amazing. Screen is sharp and clear.

I've been blown away and 100% pleased with the M240. I look forward to using it every day. It's made photography a true joy again, and that has made me an improved photographer.

CameraQuest
01-10-2015, 16:21
Poll edited to add more models,
totals reset to zero,
some posts about missing models deleted,

Please start voting !

Stephen

neonart
01-10-2015, 17:00
Poll edited to add more models,
totals reset to zero,
some posts about missing models deleted,

Please start voting !

Stephen

Unfortunately it's not allowing those who voted previously to vote again.

dof
01-10-2015, 17:46
It's the MM for me, by a long shot.

CameraQuest
01-10-2015, 17:54
http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/tanks/m1002.jpg

Interesting to see that this forum is about the only one using the misnomer M10.:rolleyes:

Misnaming a camera the "M" in the face of 60's years of what, close to a 600,000 + M's before it, is the real misnomer.

Instead of mindlessly following official the Leica misnomer Metropolis style,
it would b good to see more Leica owners appreciating Leica's heritage and wake up
to protest this bad PR foolishness and lack of awareness of all the M's that preceded THE M.

Stephen

CameraQuest
01-10-2015, 17:55
Unfortunately it's not allowing those who voted previously to vote again.

just fixed. thanks for pointing it out.

Stephen

YouAreHere
01-10-2015, 22:14
One vote for the M-E present and accounted for. :)

Austerby
01-11-2015, 00:09
I've voted for the M8 - still an astonishingly good camera within its limitations. The more recent models have addressed some of these but the original is the most significant one. I still haven't been convinced that they're worth the extra money so I've stayed with my very reliable and faithfull M8.

Keith
01-11-2015, 00:09
It's interesting that the M240 seems to be kicking butt in this poll ... I didn't think it had gained that much favor since its release personally.

pyeh
01-11-2015, 01:09
I have the M9 (two) and the M240 (that's nearly the Hollywood zip code) and I haven't voted yet because I can't decide. I really identify with what Pioneer put up, as I first encountered the M9 in a similar stage of photography-life and I agree with all his points. I got an M 6 months ago (see, there's another ambiguity about the M nomenclature) and the M9s have been in the cupboard since, or rather now they are in Melbourne getting their corroded sensors replaced (must get around to voting in that poll too) and I really miss them. I continue to use the M because its advantages, that everyone mentions, essentially makes it a more practical camera. I do prefer the M9 files though and wish somehow Leica made an M9.2 with the shutter and RF of the M and a non-corroding CCD sensor and perhaps offering an optional lower magnification viewfinder for use with wider lenses.

Lss
01-11-2015, 01:15
Out of the Leica cameras I have only used the M8. I guess it makes it my favourite.
The poll now includes also the Epson R-D1 family, which is what brought me to rangefinders (not just digital rangefinders). It's a special camera, but the M8 is more convenient largely thanks to its smaller crop factor.

jaapv
01-11-2015, 11:20
Misnaming a camera the "M" in the face of 60's years of what, close to a 600,000 + M's before it, is the real misnomer.

it would b good to see more Leica owners appreciating Leica's heritage and wake up
to protest this bad PR foolishness and lack of awareness of all the M's that preceded THE M.

StephenI'm sure calling the M3 the M3 instead of the iv f gave the same reactions. :D
I think I qualify as a traditionalist, but I don't see the problem.

raid
01-11-2015, 11:54
I have used only the M8 and the M9. The M9 is more versatile, and it has a FF sensor. The M8 allows faster back to back photos due to the shorter buffer time. Both are great cameras to me. One day, I will add the latest model digital Leica.

Godfrey
01-11-2015, 12:04

Stephen

It is the manufacturers' prerogative to set the names of their products as they choose. Leica chose to simplify the naming of all their products with a model name and a type name, for example Leica X typ 113, Leica M typ 240. It allows easier identification of models when there are several model lines being produced, for instance the M, the X, the S, and the T models lines in current Leica production.

These naming changes are inevitably a bit messy when first done, and traditionalists always balk at change. But Leica is a modern, thriving company with expanding product lines ... not just a historical artifact and heritage ... so change is inevitable. :-)

G

jaapv
01-11-2015, 13:02
To elaborate: Leica regards this camera as a new chapter in the M story. (see 100 Jahre Leica, page 81 : "Traditionsbruch") thus thenchangemin naming convetion is logical.

Vince Lupo
01-11-2015, 13:47
I'm sure calling the M3 the M3 instead of the iv f gave the same reactions. :D
I think I qualify as a traditionalist, but I don't see the problem.

And then the M2 came out and then the M1, then the M4, then the M5. So nothing necessarily makes numeric sense in the world of Leica :)

BTW I voted Monochrom - or MM as you call it.

Pete B
01-11-2015, 15:02

:D

10 characters

jaapv
01-11-2015, 16:48
And then the M2 came out and then the M1, then the M4, then the M5. So nothing necessarily makes numeric sense in the world of Leica :)

From time to time , when I am feeling lazy- it is a Putsism..:D

EpicRavenLord
01-11-2015, 17:11
I cast my vote for the only digital RF I've actually owned... The RD1-X it was very nice to use. I will say if they ever come out with a Zeiss Ikon Zm digital with one of those amazing low light Sony sensors I'd shoot exclusively rangefinder and sell my Nikon gear no questions asked. I don't see why they haven't yet.. Ziess has a great selection of rangefinder lenses ready to go!

That would be my favorite Digital rangefinder for sure.

Keith
01-11-2015, 21:13
I cast my vote for the only digital RF I've actually owned... The RD1-X it was very nice to use. I will say if they ever come out with a Zeiss Ikon ZM digital with one of those amazing low light Sony sensors I'd shoot exclusively rangefinder and sell my Nikon gear no questions asked. I don't see why they haven't yet.. Ziess has a great selection of rangefinder lenses ready to go!

That would be my favorite Digital rangefinder for sure.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... shoehorn a Foveon sensor into the old RD-1 and I would never need another camera! :D

(and I wouldn't care about the crop sensor)

jaapv
01-11-2015, 23:05
With the incidence angle of a Foveon sensor APS-C wouldn't be small enough. I think it would need to be half as small again...

Sparrow
01-12-2015, 04:37
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... shoehorn a Foveon sensor into the old RD-1 and I would never need another camera! :D

... yep, that would be a great bit of kit, I've always liked that sensor ... and judging by the results of these polls the RD1 is clearly the peoples' favorite digital RF camera

Dante_Stella
01-12-2015, 04:55
Poll originally started by Raid.

This is a new version with more voting options.

Votes have been reset to zero.

Stephen

1. If you are going to lump all RD-1 models together, you should lump all color M9 into a single line and M 240 variants together into another.

2. By the poll, 73% of people prefer Leica products to Epson, and the overwhelming majority of them prefer the 24x36mm sensors.

Dante

neonart
01-12-2015, 08:35
1. If you are going to lump all RD-1 models together, you should lump all color M9 into a single line and M 240 variants together into another.

2. By the poll, 73% of people prefer Leica products to Epson, and the overwhelming majority of them prefer the 24x36mm sensors.

Dante

Agreed. The M9, M9-P, and M-E are the same family with identical IQ and near identical ergonomics. The M240 and M-P240 are also about the same. Same with the M8 family.

krötenblender
01-12-2015, 12:05
Agreed. The M9, M9-P, and M-E are the same family with identical IQ and near identical ergonomics. The M240 and M-P240 are also about the same. Same with the M8 family.

Well, I don't agree. As I understand it, the poll is not about which digital RF sensor one prefers, but about the camera as a whole.

E.g. the missing frameline selector makes the ME a totally different camera as the M9 for me. I really miss the selector on my M240. You might not care about it, but some do, and so it it justified, to count them separate. The Epsons could be two groups for the same reason. Two with the swiveling screen and the one without. Sometimes small technical differences make the big difference if one loves or hates a product.

Anyway, even if you put all Epsons in one block and also group similar Leicas, it is very impressive, how many people prefer the images or handling of the old and outdated Epson.

CameraQuest
01-12-2015, 12:25
Anyway, even if you put all Epsons in one block and also group similar Leicas, it is very impressive, how many people prefer the images or handling of the old and outdated Epson.

Except for the complicated dial on top and loud shutter, Epson and Cosina got it right the first time.

Many consider the RD1 family to handle substantially better than the digital Leica rangefinders. I am one of them.

Stephen

Darthfeeble
01-12-2015, 13:13
The Epson, just for its retro features.

Sprocketdog23
01-12-2015, 14:50
The Epson R-D1, for the 1:1 finder, the wind on lever, I can hide the Display, the dials give a fun element.

EpicRavenLord
01-12-2015, 16:01

Given the nature of rangefinder photography the sensor would have to be a lowlight beast... The Foveon is not. Slap an A7s full frame sensor into an Ikon ZM ... And fear no light... Or lack there of.

Keith
01-12-2015, 16:14
Given the nature of rangefinder photography the sensor would have to be a lowlight beast... The Foveon is not. Slap an A7s full frame sensor into an Ikon ZM ... And fear no light... Or lack there of.

I agree that the Foveon is no low light wonder but its black and white output is unmatched IMO and is usable up to 6400 in the little Sigmas with the correct post processing. I think it has a better monochrome output than the MM. It can be stretched to 1600 in colour provided your exposure is accurate and I love the handling of the Epson. :)

jaapv
01-12-2015, 16:51
The problem with the Foveon sensor is that due to its construction in three layers the pixels are quite deep. Thus it has quite narrow incidence angles. This will produce problems on short register cameras like rangefinders. If the sensor is any reasonable size, there will be severe vignetting and colour shift effects towards the edges and corners.

airfrogusmc
01-12-2015, 16:55
My MM is good to 10,000 and the little 18MP sensor because there is no color has been compared to a 36MP camera (d800) when talking sharpness.

Kwesi
01-12-2015, 17:11
I think its interesting that the M Typ 240 is considered a favorite camera in this poll but is not considered a good value in the concurrent "best value" poll. The Epson RD1 cameras are considered favorably in both polls which makes both polls only relevant in the RFF community.

Keith
01-12-2015, 18:14
It makes you realise that if Cosina and Epson dared to be different and released a revamped version of the RD-1 with a full frame sensor it would have a waiting market. Especially with the current disillusionment with Leica!

Keyne
01-12-2015, 19:33
It makes you realise that if Cosina and Epson dared to be different and released a revamped version of the RD-1 with a full frame sensor it would have a waiting market. Especially with the current disillusionment with Leica!

+1 I would buy one. A refreshed RD-1 would be awesome.

airfrogusmc
01-12-2015, 19:54
I'm not disillusioned with Leica. My MM is by far my favorite camera and the one I shoot all of my personal work with.

Ralph Gibson's words could have been mine when he said this about the MM.
"This camera will do anything I am capable of doing. I will never get to the end of what this instrument can perform."-Ralph Gibson

EpicRavenLord
01-12-2015, 20:33
Don't get me wrong… I'd buy the M240 and a couple Leica f/1.4 lenses if I had the money for it. Shooting ISO 2000-3200 on the 240 with little noise is very doable. But with my style of shooting I like having clean files at ISO 4000 as an "affordable" option. .. thats why I have a Nikon Df.

Keith
01-12-2015, 21:17
I'm not disillusioned with Leica. My MM is by far my favorite camera and the one I shoot all of my personal work with.

Ralph Gibson's words could have been mine when he said this about the MM.
"This camera will do anything I am capable of doing. I will never get to the end of what this instrument can perform."-Ralph Gibson

I could say that about my $45.00 Fed2 I bought in 2006! :D

airfrogusmc
01-13-2015, 04:43
I could say that about my $45.00 Fed2 I bought in 2006! :D

Then you got off cheap.

Finding the equipment that matches the way you see and work is priceless.

Sparrow
01-13-2015, 04:51
The Epson R-D1, for the 1:1 finder, the wind on lever, I can hide the Display, the dials give a fun element.

... I'm that shallow the wind-on lever and the Art Deco dials were enough to convince me

rbelyell
01-13-2015, 05:11
gosh, just got through posting infavor of rd1 on the 'best value' thread and could not believe that my measley 6mp rd1 is running ahead of all M's here! wow! guess i made a decent choice...had enough money left over to buy a 21 elmarit, 75 summarit, the tiny leica type 112 and a few nice dinners. love my rd1. i find myself reaching for it more and more and leaving the excellent rx1 behind. more to photography than mp's, no?

noimmunity
01-13-2015, 07:38

I'd want BOTH :D

(Keith's Foveon R-D1 and the digital ZI with A7s type sensor (re-stacked for RF glass)).

colonel
01-14-2015, 08:52
I don't have any interest in Foveon as there are simply too many issues and downsides with it at the moment and the latest bayer sensors seem to do a bang up job.

I think the M240 is terrific but perhaps for the next generation Leica could offer a choice of a 16mp super-clean high-ISO version and a 40mp super-detailed one

The main problem is that I could see the years of arguments between the two sides re: the 40mp lot saying that scaled down their picture is just as good as the 16mp one.......

tempest68
01-14-2015, 17:02
They haven't made the one I want yet. Either a Contax G3D or Voigtlander R3D please.

noisycheese
01-14-2015, 18:00
M 240, because that's what I have :D
What he said.

If cash were to fall out the sky, I would get a black M-P to back up the M240 with. I do not want the M-P badly enough to sell/trade the M240 I have and pay the difference for a new M-P though.

mfunnell
01-15-2015, 00:53
M 240, because that's what I have :DWhat he said.

If cash were to fall out the sky, I would get a black M-P to back up the M240 with. I do not want the M-P badly enough to sell/trade the M240 I have and pay the difference for a new M-P though.What he said, and what you said too...

...Mike

Cyriljay
01-17-2015, 01:19
I just answered M8U as it is the camera I have but I still don't find my favourite camera in the list as it will appear within next 5years to come .
:rolleyes:

andriirad
01-29-2015, 11:11
I'm extremely happy with my M9, but I also missing sometimes old good Epson R-D1s, which I used to have for a few years.

ray*j*gun
01-29-2015, 15:12
I just don't get the Epson choice. I admit I had one and it broke almost immediately so I suppose I'm biased but do they print well enough with the limited sensor capabilities? I guess Id like to borrow one for a while to see if I'm missing something here. I have an M8u and love it BTW.

andriirad
01-30-2015, 00:24
I just don't get the Epson choice. I admit I had one and it broke almost immediately so I suppose I'm biased but do they print well enough with the limited sensor capabilities? I guess Id like to borrow one for a while to see if I'm missing something here. I have an M8u and love it BTW.

If you didn't have a good opportunity to shoot with uncle Epson before and now you have an option to borrow one - don't even think twice! It's an amazing camera with its own image character and color beauty + it's gonna give you different view about shoots on high ISO with digital RF...I think you gonna love Epson's high ISO performance much more, than your M8u. Trust me - I had both)
Prints up to A3 size looks just gorgeous! 6MP its more than enough for this matter.

Rob-F
01-30-2015, 01:32

Stephen

Well Said! Is there some reason why Leica can't count above 9?

krötenblender
01-30-2015, 15:36
Well Said! Is there some reason why Leica can't count above 9?

In the latest major model revision they counted up to 240. So they can... OTOH, the never counted straight forward. The M3 was the first M, you know, M1 and M2 came later...

seakayaker1
02-24-2015, 21:20
Voted for the M9!

It is my favorite and the only Digital Full Frame Rangefinder I own currently! I will be getting the M9 back from Leica soon with a new sensor and hope to have it running for many more years to come! (edit: Leica in NJ informed me that the sensor is on backorder with no delivery date from Germany. This has got me re-thinking the offer to upgrade to the M-P 240.)

I did have the M8.2 for a short period of time and loved that digital rangefinder as well.

essvaun
02-25-2015, 03:28
I've only ever owned an M9-P. My favourite thing ever. I'm sure if I had the $ there might be others to consider but as I have zero interest in video I'm struggling to think why I'd need to replace it before it dies.
I did get to take a couple of shots once with a Monochrom with that 50mm asph summicron, that was superb but holding the value of a new car in your hands wouldn't be for the faint hearted.

krötenblender
02-27-2015, 10:24
I'm looking forward to the first post, that says, the Konost is the favourite digital RF since it came out...

Besides that, I'm pleased, that the R-D1 is still the number one, although I use my M240 as my main camera.

kaiwasoyokaze
03-14-2015, 18:37
i have a m240 so that's one vote there but am looking forward to seeing what the Konost could do. also, i wouldnt take a second glance at a digital leica if there was a zeiss ikon digital.

Vince Lupo
05-24-2015, 14:48
It used to be the Leica Monochrom aka Leica M9MM aka Leica Monochrome aka Leica Mono CCD aka Leica Mono aka Leica Monochrom 1, but now it's the Leica Monochrom 246 aka Leica M10MM aka Leica M10 Mono aka Leica Mono CMOS aka Leica Monochrom 2 aka Leica MMM.

Keith
01-01-2016, 04:24
I'm amazed to see the 240 leading this poll ... I would have expected the M9 to be the front runner but I suspect the sensor issue had an effect on it's overall popularity.

krötenblender
01-01-2016, 07:25
I'm amazed to see the 240 leading this poll ... I would have expected the M9 to be the front runner but I suspect the sensor issue had an effect on it's overall popularity.

Most amazing is the second one: R-D1, a digital antique...!

randolph45
01-01-2016, 17:37
Epson R-D1. The only digital rf I own:)

coelacanth
03-15-2016, 09:43
I don't have any today, but have had M8.2, M9, M9-P and MM in the past. MM is my fav.

Out to Lunch
03-15-2016, 11:58
I've been using the Epsons for many years. Great cameras and they hold their value pretty well. The whole notion of 'digital antique' has become a hyper-consumer issue. If you look at the release frequency of some popular cameras and the declared 'antique' status and depreciation of older models has more to do with advertising hype and marketeering than the usability of the cameras in question.

agoglanian
03-22-2016, 16:03
I voted for the 240 as that has been my first and only digital Leica (but my first digital RF was indeed the R-D1, and it was what lead me to this site in the first place all those years ago).

I get along just fine with the 240 and it doesn't get in my way, the image quality is wonderful, and though I wish it was more capable in very low light, I have never been left unable to work because of the camera. It's been my main digital since picking it up in November 2014, to the effect that I sold off my other digital systems late last year as my own needs were changing.

Now. All of that being said, I am the most intrigued by the Monochrom (both versions) as I am very much a black and white shooter in general (but I like having the option to shoot color when I want). I think the Monochrom is an incredibly special tool, and like anything else, when one learns to control and manipulate the nuances of such a tool, they are rewarded with spectacular image quality. I would very much like to pick one up in the future.

narsuitus
03-22-2016, 19:58
What is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

I could not vote because I do not yet have a favorite.

maitani
03-23-2016, 05:29
M8 classic hands down

very useful camera for all purpose and esp bw, great for brightlenses too (1/8000)
great files if you get "into it"

Gregm61
03-23-2016, 07:27
The M262 I purchased last month, of course..

https://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/Leica-M262-Images/i-3CpNXZr/0/X2/P3050156-X2.jpg (https://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/Leica-M262-Images/i-3CpNXZr/A)

pechelman
04-30-2016, 08:20
I voted M240 but really intended my vote to count towards the M246. Figured that was closer to what I wanted so as not to confuse votes for the original m9 based monochrom.

Kent
08-23-2016, 10:21
Still my M8.

I have shot with M9, M240, M Monochrom, but I just don't see any reason to "upgrade".
In a small Dothebag Mono 04 (http://dothebag-mono.de/bags/dothebag-mono_04/) the M8 plus the Fuji X-E2 and three lenses = perfect set for me.

AshLee52
02-20-2017, 17:50
M9 for me because, of the several I own, it is the least valuable so it gets used most. Odd logic perhaps. But I'll bet I'm not the only one. And the pictures are absolutely as good as anyone would ever need. The lack of Live View does make it less capable of using my massive collection of odd and wonderful old lenses.

pepeguitarra
02-20-2017, 20:13
I voted for the M9, but I really have a tie: M9 and M8.u. The M8.u is probably the one camera I will never sell.

Tom R
02-25-2017, 18:45
Well, I have only one digital Leica, an M8.2 (with very few clicks on it). I use this camera for experimenting with compositional ideas mostly.

Sometimes I convert the digital images in Capture One into something that approximates B&W film, or at least something that I can display side by side on a screen without too many apparent distracting differences. But, I only do this when either I cannot revisit the setting with a film M or in those rare situations where the original exposures turned out to be either the only or the best to this point ...

Scrambler
02-25-2017, 23:16
Finally got my hands on a digital rangefinder. Previously the best I could do was Sony E-mount. So my favourite is an Epson R-D1 - but the field for me was small, coz its hard to either spend a LOT of money for an old digital, or EVEN MORE money for a fairly new one, when until the M(10 for those convinced) the early digital Leicas were trouble-prone. I have an old Pentax dSLR with the same sensor as the R-D1, and Epson have managed to make that sensor sing even compared to Pentax, who by the time they built mine were on their 4th generation of camera with the same sensor. And that was after the R-D1.

Godfrey
05-12-2017, 06:40
I've updated my camera choice: Sold the M-P and kept the M-D typ 262. This is my camera; they made it for me. Absolutely delighted with it.

Of course, it's not on the poll. :D

G

Chubberino
05-12-2017, 08:28
The only one I own, the M8. But, I'd hazard a guess that I'd like the M9 more.

victoriapio
05-12-2017, 22:03
I have owned and used extensively Rd1S, M8 and M9. The latter is certainly my favorite. When I try the 262 that MIGHT change my mind.

Richard G
05-12-2017, 22:09
Still very happy with the M9-P, but the original Monochrom is more exciting and a slightly better camera, smoother shutter release and shutter for some reason. Sometimes the prints are quite miraculous. I like the idea of the true M10, the recent one, but I will be sticking with what I have until I have to get something new.

Ronald M
05-24-2017, 02:25
Leica M10 which I used as demo. I could not vote.

I use an M8 and M9P.

Out to Lunch
05-24-2017, 10:19
Why not repeat myself.... I've been using the Epsons for many years. Great cameras giving great results.

gnuyork
07-16-2017, 06:29
I don't have a digital rangefinder, but if I did it would most likely be the first MM, followed by the M9. Looking at image examples online, it seems the CCD sensor has more of a look I like compared to the CMOS.

I currently use a Sigma Merrill compact (not a rangefinder) - now for digital, those files are the best I've seen. The camera is a serious pain though. My biggest issue is nowhere to plug in a shutter release.

Talus
07-16-2017, 07:10
I owned an M9-P for a short while last year and it was fantastic. Unfortunately it had the sensor issue and was a Leica NJ for a little over 3 months. I sold it very shortly after getting it back. Although I loved the digital M platform, I didn't like that a camera of this level is prone to failure and that I could potentially see the problem again. So now I'm back to shooting film on an M. Maybe someday I'll get a 262 or M10 when 2 or 3 newer models come out and drive down current prices.

robert blu
01-03-2018, 04:08
For my kind of photography the M10 is all I could desire/need.
I never owned any other digital M.
robert

d_c
01-03-2018, 04:58
I've just managed to get hold of a secondhand M262 - my first full frame digital. I've nothing to compare it to, and it doesn't appear in the poll, but it is pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I did consider a used M9 or M240 but leapt at the M262 when it became available.

krötenblender
01-03-2018, 06:49
For my kind of photography the M10 is all I could desire/need.
I never owned any other digital M.
robert

I also have a M10, and it is really a joy to use with fantastic image quality. However, my all time favourite is still the Epson R-D1. Can't beat the feeling of that camera.

Axel
01-05-2018, 02:29
Cosina built the camera Leica never did - 13 years ago ;)

+1 for the R-D1 because of it is what it is until theses days.

Peter_S
01-04-2019, 05:48
Leica Monochrom 246. Sold my M9 after trying it and stopped for most parts converting digital color images to B/W....

colker
01-04-2019, 06:09
Cosina built the camera Leica never did - 13 years ago ;)

+1 for the R-D1 because of it is what it is until theses days.

A 6mp sensor is a bit limited.

Godfrey
01-04-2019, 06:21
Having been through Epson R-D1, Leica M9, Leica M-P 240, and Leica M-D 262, this last is now my favorite. As makes sense, because I wouldn't have gone on to the next one if I was satisfied with what I had.

"Why?" is the more interesting question.

The M-D has become my favorite Leica M, not just digital rangefinder, because it is exactly what I've wanted: an utterly simple camera with no extraneous features beyond a good meter and a digital capture sensor. It's nice that it has Aperture Priority AE, it's nice that it has both single and sequence capture modes, and that it winds the shutter electrically. Essentially it has just focus, viewfinder, shutter time, sensitivity setting, and aperture—the fundamental tools of making photographs—with no other options and no other decisions to get in the way of seeing your subject. The rest is up to you to figure out, which is fast and quick because it has nothing else to distract you.

The M-D consumes battery very slowly, fitted with a 64G card it can make over a thousand exposures stored as raw before you need to fit another card, and has little to distract you from doing photography. The raw files are pliable, easy to render any way you want. The rangefinder is accurate and sure. The lenses are superb. There's not much else for me to want in a rangefinder camera.

G

Out to Lunch
02-27-2019, 05:08
Epson R-D1....s or x.

andyturk
05-10-2019, 06:54
I added my vote for the R-D1. I've gotten more keepers with that camera than all the other camera's I've owned combined (including an M6 and M8). It was terrible in low light, the rangefinder was constantly out of adjustment, the batteries didn't last very long, but somehow it just worked. 6MP with good glass is just fine.

I purchased an M10-P this year, which I really like, but we're still getting to know each other. Still have the Epson too, but I plan to sell it.

krötenblender
05-10-2019, 07:34
I purchased an M10-P this year, which I really like, but we're still getting to know each other. Still have the Epson too, but I plan to sell it.

Don't do it... I have the M10, I had the M240, I had the M9 before that, and some analog Leicas (and other brand RFs) and the Zeiss ZM. - The Epson is, what I miss most. I had it more than once and it is just the most fun of all cameras ever, even with its 6MPixel only. I'm looking for some time now for a reasonable offer somewhere for a good condition R-D1, but prices are completely nuts currently. So if you sell once, there is probably no way back - and you're gonna miss it...

capitalK
05-10-2019, 08:00
Favourite I have used is the original M-D, followed by the original Monochrom. I would like to use the newer versions of them sometime.

The only one I have owned is the M8, which is currently in the shop only a few weeks after I bought it (luckily it had store warranty).

andyturk
05-15-2019, 08:25
Don't do it... I have the M10, I had the M240, I had the M9 before that, and some analog Leicas (and other brand RFs) and the Zeiss ZM. - The Epson is, what I miss most. I had it more than once and it is just the most fun of all cameras ever, even with its 6MPixel only. I'm looking for some time now for a reasonable offer somewhere for a good condition R-D1, but prices are completely nuts currently. So if you sell once, there is probably no way back - and you're gonna miss it...

I'll miss it for sure. But I haven't shot with the Epson in a really long time and I don't want to feel like I'm becoming a collector.

One of my favorite images made with the Epson:
https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/7f4336d5a9a81a47328edd3711d92456/5D5F15F9/t51.2885-15/e35/58853024_385112592081241_5490895111643741951_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com

krötenblender
05-15-2019, 13:14
I'll miss it for sure. But I haven't shot with the Epson in a really long time and I don't want to feel like I'm becoming a collector.

One of my favorite images made with the Epson:

Wow, love the colors!

kshapero
07-08-2019, 20:00
Right now the M 262:cool:

Doug
07-08-2019, 22:19
Right now the M 262:cool:
Me too, the M-D 262... :)

Godfrey
07-09-2019, 06:43
Me too, the M-D 262... :)

Yes. Of all the digital rangefinder cameras (yeah, there are soo many of them, right? :)), this one hits the target just right for me.

G

oldwino
07-09-2019, 08:18
I agree. I’ve only had my M-D 262 for a short while, but already it feels like shooting a M7 with auto-wind. I often forget that I can change the ISO anytime I want.

Doug
07-09-2019, 12:41
The M-D 262 is a strange odd-ball but in a very nice way!

kshapero
07-10-2019, 16:42
The M-D 262 is a strange odd-ball but in a very nice way!Love the M-D 262 but mine is the M 262.:cool:

IEDEI
08-25-2019, 16:24
M8.

Ive tried all the newer Leicas. The only one I sometimes think about is the original M9 Monochrom but otherwise none of the newer Leicas really appeal.

Yes it would be nice to have a full frame sensor but honestly the newer Leicas seem very clinical to me. The M8 and the M9 Monochrom have something special. The regular M9 is pretty good too but lacking the flawed brilliance of the M8.

Have no interest in any of them after the M9. Features I dont want or need. CCD sensors are far far better than CMOS. My M8 has 120k actuations with 0 issues. I hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltyfli
01-04-2020, 06:24
What about M-10 ?

eckhardf
01-04-2020, 14:09
Another vote for the M-D 262; but I would have loved an auto-iso setting on the rear dial (difficult to configure just using the VF and scroll wheel though). Ultimately it's the simplicity of operation that really adheres me to the M-D.

The M-10 D doesn't appeal as much. I think the design would have been better with ISO on the rear dial and exposure compensation where the 'rewind' knob is - like Fuji's X-series design.

I'm totally content without a rear LCD; so the wider variety of regular M models don't compete for my vote.

KM-25
01-04-2020, 14:16
My fave is the M-10-P, the most quiet mechanical focal plane shutter I have ever used and that includes the M3, M6, MP, etc.

ruby.monkey
01-05-2020, 00:21
M-E Typ 220, because it's the only one I actually own.

analoged
01-05-2020, 09:01
Amazing the R-D1 tied for first

krötenblender
01-05-2020, 11:10
Amazing the R-D1 tied for first

Yes, amazing, but it doesn't really surprise me. It's the nicest digital rangefinder I ever used, even including film-rf, the R-D1 ist outstanding just for the joy of using it. I recently bought one again, just to have it. And even with it's outdated 6mpixel-sensor, I still like to use it.

andyturk
01-05-2020, 13:35
Yes, amazing, but it doesn't really surprise me. It's the nicest digital rangefinder I ever used, even including film-rf, the R-D1 ist outstanding just for the joy of using it. I recently bought one again, just to have it. And even with it's outdated 6mpixel-sensor, I still like to use it.

Sigh. I just sold my R-D1 a couple of days ago.

Bill Blackwell
01-05-2020, 14:06
https://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/18568099-orig.jpg
Large, bright RF
Ultra quiet shutter
Slim [film-M size] body
Best dynamic range of any digital M to date

The M-P 240 was close, but this one hits the mark!