PDA

View Full Version : Decisive Challenge VI December 13th & 14th. Join in!

kdemas
11-05-2014, 08:57
What: Street Shooting Challenge
When: Images must shot on 12/13 or 12/14
Where: Wherever you are. Big city or small town
Rules:

Submitted image must be shot on December 13th or 14th 2014
Submitted image must be in B&W
Submitted image must not be posted anywhere else as we want to keep submitted images anonymous for voters

Submitted image must be sized so the longest side is 1250px

Maximum file size is 500k

Submissions: Images will be submitted on DecisiveChallege.com (http://www.decisivechallenge.com) via the “entry form” on or after December 13th.

Key dates:

Deadline for submitting an image is January 4th 2015.

Voting will commence on January 7th and end on January 18th.

Winners will be announce on January 21st.

This is the sixth time we’ve put a challenge together and each has been a terrific collection of street shots from around the world. The emphasis with this challenge is on the image, not on the equipment or the reputation of the photographer.

Equipment:
Use whatever equipment you like, from a rangefinder to a DSLR or a cell phone… it doesn’t matter. Film or digital… your choice. Use your creativity and tool of choice to capture an image that will delight the voters and reflect your inspired vision of the world around you.

This is a fun competition, see if your local photo group wants to take part and make it a day of shooting and stories. Others may choose to go it alone, concentrating on your environment and the search for that “moment”.

Whether you’re a seasoned street shooter or someone who just wants to give it a try, go for it!

Prizes: As usual I’ll put in a call for prize donations. I will kick things off by offering a $100 Adorama gift card!

Finally, tell your friends who may be interested in participating!

kdemas
11-05-2014, 16:50
Let us know "you're in" here in the thread if you're planning on taking part.

burancap
11-05-2014, 17:05
I am in, and I would like to add something, anything, to the prize pool this time.

02Pilot
11-05-2014, 17:20
I'll be participating as well. I wasn't thrilled with what I managed to shoot for the last one - hopefully I can redeem myself this time around.

gb hill
11-05-2014, 17:51
I can partake this time around.

froyd
11-05-2014, 18:17
I'm in!

Jamie Pillers
11-05-2014, 18:21
I'm in… assuming I have a camera by then. :-)

mfunnell
11-05-2014, 18:41
I'm in.

...Mike

FrankS
11-05-2014, 18:59
Ill try, but street photography opps in a small canadian town in winter is pretty bleak.

Rodchenko
11-06-2014, 01:10
I'm in! And so is my partner!

varchs
11-06-2014, 04:28
I am in as well, and I have already posted in two fb groups from local photo enthusiasts clubs...

Thank you for organising it!!!

kdemas
11-06-2014, 08:13
Some good news! In addition to the $100 gift card I'm kicking in we have another donation.

An Olympus OM-1 with lens (meter non-operational)

I don't know if the donor wants me to make his identity public so I'll leave that to him.

Great stuff, love our community!

Kent

skopar steve
11-06-2014, 08:50
I'm in. Sounds like fun, and a good reason to get out and do some street shooting.

steve

zauhar
11-06-2014, 09:35
I'm in.

Randy

stratcat
11-06-2014, 10:06
I'm in too.

kxl
11-06-2014, 10:26
I'll be in Key West that weekend, taking a few days off after a conference in Fort Lauderdale.

Never been to South Florida, but "Key West" and "street photography" somehow don't seem to belong in the same sentence. :eek:

Having said that, I'm in anyway just for the sake of sharing photos. :)

Also, I'll contribute something to the pool of prizes.

-Keith

MikeDimit
11-06-2014, 10:55
Count me in

SausalitoDog
11-06-2014, 11:42
I'm in...wil look around for a prize for you...

Tom

kdemas
11-07-2014, 11:21
Thanks for that Tom! Glad you're taking part.

I'm in...wil look around for a prize for you...

Tom

rfaspen
11-07-2014, 14:41
I'm in! First time too. My wonderful wife (the real photographer of the family) will probably be "in" as well.

Coopersounds
11-07-2014, 15:01
yeah why not. I am in.

milosdevino
11-08-2014, 14:21
Count me in too.

Dave S.
11-10-2014, 20:19
I'm in. Thanks for organizing this Kent!

Ong
11-10-2014, 20:22
Hmm, I guess I'll bite and join in. Hope you don't mind an Aussie in the comp :)

userid0
11-11-2014, 00:27
Hmm, I guess, I am also in!
Looking forward to these days.

Cheers, Walter

tunalegs
11-11-2014, 00:49
Yeah I may do this.

kdemas
11-11-2014, 13:55
Everyone is welcome! Look forward to seeing your image.

Hmm, I guess I'll bite and join in. Hope you don't mind an Aussie in the comp :)

Mauro
11-12-2014, 01:09
I am in! I own many cameras (Fed, Zorki, Kiev, Zeiss Ikon, Yashica and Others...), so it will be a hard choice...

kdemas
11-14-2014, 14:15
A gentle Friday afternoon bump.

Fuchs
11-14-2014, 15:23
I am in! ++++++++++++++

kdemas
11-20-2014, 12:44
Where will you be making your images?

Me... streets of San Francisco.

andrewmore
11-20-2014, 13:05
Yes - I'll give this a go again. An excellent challenge that takes me out of my photographic comfort zone.

Regards

Andrew More

mth
11-20-2014, 13:23
Count me in again.

Michael

SausalitoDog
11-20-2014, 13:59
Where will you be making your images?

Me... streets of San Francisco.

I'll be down at Pajaro Dunes that weekend, so I will probably do a night shot in either Monterey or Santa Cruz...depends on which city has the best movie that night :-)

Tom

userid0
11-20-2014, 23:52
Will shoot in the streets of Dresden, Germany!

kdemas
11-26-2014, 13:47
I'll be down at Pajaro Dunes that weekend, so I will probably do a night shot in either Monterey or Santa Cruz...depends on which city has the best movie that night :-) Tom

That's a great area!

Gabriel M.A.
11-26-2014, 23:57
"I am in"

(adding words as that was under 10 words and RFF no likey that)

Lucadomi
11-27-2014, 05:18
I will give it a try. I will keep my Pentax mx in my bag in those days and we will see what hapen.

kdemas
12-03-2014, 22:04
A week and a half until it's time to shoot!

MikeDimit
12-03-2014, 22:48
I am in for the sport and fan. Thanks for doing this!!

FrozenInTime
12-06-2014, 22:19
That weekend is still looking good - I should be able to play this year :-)

Kent, is there a gathering planned in SF for some decisive beer and food ordering ?

kdemas
12-08-2014, 14:24
All- The shoot is this weekend!

@Donald- I'll see if we can pull something together for a meetup.

back alley
12-08-2014, 15:16
looking forward to losing this contest for yet another year...lol!

kdemas
12-10-2014, 08:44
I'm glad you take part Joe!

My usual dilemma... what to shoot. I'm thinking about doing one day digital, another film. I have a new-to-me Nikon S3 2000 that really needs some work.

looking forward to losing this contest for yet another year...lol!

Kiev Ilegalac
12-10-2014, 13:39
I'm in too. Do one have to apply here or just submit the photos? I have two friends who might join in as well, I'm not sure if they are on RFF though.
Alex

varchs
12-11-2014, 03:07
At my little hometown, Kastoria northern Greece.

nlubis
12-11-2014, 05:33
I'm in. Most likely shots of Baltimore, MD.

john neal
12-11-2014, 05:47
I'll give it a go :)

semrich
12-11-2014, 07:08
I'm in, I will be travelling, and I have the camera me.

CosmicCharlie
12-12-2014, 01:56
I'm in! thank you Kent

ajramirez
12-12-2014, 03:30
I'm in as well.

Cheers,

Antonio

Rodchenko
12-12-2014, 05:18
Getting excited about this now. Gonna be working digital, I'm afraid, as I can't afford film processing now I'm out of a job, but I've been cleaning cameras. Not decided where to head yet.

StefanJozef
12-12-2014, 05:24
I'm in as well doing film.

pet905
12-12-2014, 14:42
Count me in!

Warren T.
12-13-2014, 09:40
Hey! I just found out about it this morning! Gail and I are in again!

--Warren

kdemas
12-16-2014, 08:49
OK gang. For those of you who took part you can enter your submission here (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/enter-decisive-challenge.html). You have until January 4th to submit.

Gabriel M.A.
12-16-2014, 23:32
All entries must be shot on either December 14th or 15th 2013. Those shot before or after will be eliminated form the competition. Only one entry per person please. Entries received before December 14th will be omitted.

This may confuse some folks. I'm assuming the days should be shifted one day one way, and the year one year the other.

john neal
12-16-2014, 23:43
Rubbish weather here and lack of inspiration - nothing shot :(

OurManInTangier
12-17-2014, 02:55
Rubbish weather here and lack of inspiration - nothing shot :(

Pretty much the same for me too.:bang: Though I'll enter something regardless as, having said numerous times how I'd like to join in, this will be the first time I've managed to be free on the right weekend. I don't remember getting anything that seemed interesting so unless there's a nice surprise in there I'll be happy with the chance to take part.

Looking forward to seeing the entries

burancap
12-17-2014, 05:43
Yeah, I think I came up empty too. I spent most of the weekend chasing whisky bottles, so it was not a total loss.

02Pilot
12-17-2014, 07:08
I shot about three rolls of Tri-X, going through it now to see if anything worthwhile turns up. I should be able to find something suitable; how good it is is another question.

zauhar
12-17-2014, 07:10
Went out Saturday and Sunday, developed most of the film Sunday night. Nothing very 'decisive' but I will post what I like best soon.

This challenge was well-timed for me - I took a break from photography for two months while I was setting up new darkroom space, this happily co-incided with my getting it operational.

Randy

zauhar
12-17-2014, 07:17
Pretty much the same for me too.:bang: Though I'll enter something regardless as, having said numerous times how I'd like to join in, this will be the first time I've managed to be free on the right weekend. I don't remember getting anything that seemed interesting so unless there's a nice surprise in there I'll be happy with the chance to take part.

Looking forward to seeing the entries

Simon, most of the photos in past challenges were not really 'decisive moment' in the HCB sense (well, I had one once, but it didn't win!)

Just pick the one you like best, and don't worry about the context. I will lay odds that you have something exceptional. ;-)

Rodchenko
12-17-2014, 07:20
He probably will.

I had a decent time wandering round XXXXXXXXXXX. Quite a few interesting images, but nothing really leaping out at me.

Still mean to enter.

OurManInTangier
12-17-2014, 09:10
Simon, most of the photos in past challenges were not really 'decisive moment' in the HCB sense (well, I had one once, but it didn't win!)

Just pick the one you like best, and don't worry about the context. I will lay odds that you have something exceptional. ;-)

Getting something remotely 'decisive' over two very specific days is an extremely tough ask (especially if you try and avoid the mobile phone/umbrella shots that are such a fall back;):) ) but then thats why I always fancied joining in with the challenge.

You're being very kind too, though I'll happily bet against you on this one...I could do with the extra cash:D

OurManInTangier
12-17-2014, 09:11
He probably will.

I had a decent time wandering round ****** and *******. Quite a few interesting images, but nothing really leaping out at me.

Still mean to enter.

Unless you saw some other RFF'ers out in ***** you may just have given away which shots will be yours!

:D:D

Rodchenko
12-17-2014, 09:14
Unless you saw some other RFF'ers out in XXXXXXXX you may just have given away which shots will be yours!

:D:D

Oh no! :o:o:o

There were a lot of photographers there. :p

And i don't expect to be seriously in contention anyway.

And would you mind awfully editing out my slip.

Thank you.

OurManInTangier
12-17-2014, 09:29
Oh no! :o:o:o

There were a lot of photographers there. :p

And i don't expect to be seriously in contention anyway.

And would you mind awfully editing out my slip.

Thank you.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I must be daft to have pointed it out and then repeated the same mistake!! Rectified now.

I'll keep an eye out for what may... or may not be your entry;)

Good luck.

Rodchenko
12-17-2014, 09:46
It probably won't be :D

OurManInTangier
12-19-2014, 03:08
Uploaded one. Job done. Now just sit back and think..."should I have gone with the other image?" Still, at least I've finally got around to taking part.

skopar steve
12-19-2014, 08:28
Wanted to shoot film but the computer my scanner works on craped out. So I went out with the XE-1. Saturday was a complete waste. A few blown opportunities, freezing cold, nobody venturing outside. (end of whine) Sunday did not look much better, but I decided to put on "the big boy pants" and purpose to capture a "decisive moment". I was not coming home until I captured something I would not be embarrassed submitting.

As fate would have it the place I chose to shoot had a couple of events going on. Shot about seventy images (I shoot digital like I shoot film) and came up with two possible entries.

Submitted one this morning, but like Simon I wonder if it was the better of the two. Well, it was fun after all. Happy to have taken part.

Steve

02Pilot
12-23-2014, 10:30
Submitted.

Just a note, some of the dates on the site appear to be different than those listed in the first post of this thread, and when the entry is submitted, the message still references the Summer 2013 event.

kdemas
01-04-2015, 13:20
Last Day to Submit an image.

All submittals must be made by 11:59PM California time on January 4th (today).

Click here to submit (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/enter-decisive-challenge.html).

Good Luck!

@02pilot- The confirmation message is in fact wrong. No big deal but the app I'm using is being stubborn and I was unable to change it.

rfaspen
01-07-2015, 11:44
Arrrgh! I missed the submission deadline. But I have a good reason.....
A very large tree fell on my house Dec. 12th. My wife was in the house with a terrible flu at the time. She and the rest of my family are fine, but this incident made it difficult to think about any challenge other than what to do about fixing my home and addressing the financial consequences.

Still, even though I was also sick and very distracted by the recent disaster, I wandered around town and made a few shots (therapeutic; I think most of us here can relate).

The holidays were far from relaxing as the remainder of my family got quite sick. But that wasn't enough.... my washing machine decided to go rogue and actually walked violently around destroying further portions of my home before self-destructing (I know, it just doesn't seem possible). Again, distracted. Add to that the constant drone of chainsaws in my yard as the remaining large trees were cut and removed. Not an easy task in an urban setting and the process yet further damaged my home. Again, distracted.

Today, I finally gave thought to photography again (and the Decisive Challenge). I proceeded to submit a photo and *then* read about the deadlines. Errrr. Not much is going right this new year. I don't know if I can handle another year like 2014.

Not looking for pity. Just want to let folks know I tried and I nearly made it. I think the Decisive Challenge is a great, fun idea and I fully intended to participate. I hope there's another.

zauhar
01-07-2015, 12:12
****! Just realized I missed the deadline as well! For some reason I thought it was the middle of the month.

Well, I will just put them in the gallery.

Now there is no way I can lose!

Randy

zauhar
01-08-2015, 11:07
Arrrgh! I missed the submission deadline. But I have a good reason.....
A very large tree fell on my house Dec. 12th. My wife was in the house with a terrible flu at the time. She and the rest of my family are fine, but this incident made it difficult to think about any challenge other than what to do about fixing my home and addressing the financial consequences.

Still, even though I was also sick and very distracted by the recent disaster, I wandered around town and made a few shots (therapeutic; I think most of us here can relate).

The holidays were far from relaxing as the remainder of my family got quite sick. But that wasn't enough.... my washing machine decided to go rogue and actually walked violently around destroying further portions of my home before self-destructing (I know, it just doesn't seem possible). Again, distracted. Add to that the constant drone of chainsaws in my yard as the remaining large trees were cut and removed. Not an easy task in an urban setting and the process yet further damaged my home. Again, distracted.

Today, I finally gave thought to photography again (and the Decisive Challenge). I proceeded to submit a photo and *then* read about the deadlines. Errrr. Not much is going right this new year. I don't know if I can handle another year like 2014.

Not looking for pity. Just want to let folks know I tried and I nearly made it. I think the Decisive Challenge is a great, fun idea and I fully intended to participate. I hope there's another.

Just for the record, you have my deepest sympathy. That sounds truly miserable, and I hope you and your family get past this.

I think the washing machine would have made it into a Twilight Zone episode!

Randy

eckart
01-08-2015, 13:47
Where are the entries to see?

Dave S.
01-10-2015, 10:24
Not posted yet. The target was for them to be posted on January 7th and voting would run from January 7th through January 18th.

That said, it's a lot of work to tally the votes, post the photos, respond to inquiry's, etc. My guess is that it's just taking a bit longer than expected.

Cheers!

Dave

eckart
01-10-2015, 14:24
Thanks, I can't wait to see them:)

kdemas
01-11-2015, 09:00
Hi all! My apologies for not getting the images up yet, we had a bit of a family emergency. I will get them up for voting by EOD Monday and I'll set a new voting deadline as well.

My apologies.

Kent

OurManInTangier
01-11-2015, 09:06
No apologies needed Kent, you should be applauded for all your hard work. Hope the family emergency isn't ( or wasn't ) too serious.

Thanks again for all your work.

eckart
01-11-2015, 14:23
Hi all! My apologies for not getting the images up yet, we had a bit of a family emergency. I will get them up for voting by EOD Monday and I'll set a new voting deadline as well.

My apologies.

Kent

Sorry Kent I didn't want you to hurry up.
I really hope with your family is every thing ok now, real life is much more important than pictures of course.
Please take the time you need, you are the only working one in this wonderful challenge.
Thank you so much for that.

kdemas
01-12-2015, 10:56
The voting window is now open. Please only vote once, you cannot vote for your own image.

To see the images: http://decisivechallengevi.blogspot.com/?view=classic

To Vote: http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/vote-here.html

All voting by EOD 1/25 California time.

Jamie Pillers
01-12-2015, 11:10
Voted. Really great bunch of images this year... best year yet in my opinion.

rhl-oregon
01-12-2015, 11:12
Thanks for the work & lucid organization, Kent.

SausalitoDog
01-12-2015, 11:23
Just plain GREAT work, Kent and photographers...

What a nice project/tradition!!! Thanks, Kent.

Tom

OurManInTangier
01-13-2015, 02:16
I've just voted and have to say it was a tough choice. There are some good candidates for winner in there. I'm so glad I was able to take part...and so p1ssed off that I couldn't have done better.

Looking forward to seeing if my choices for 1st, 2nd & 3rd are anywhere close to everyone elses.

Thanks Kent, top job.

eckart
01-13-2015, 04:29
I did my choice too, but it was, as it was already mentioned, a really hard choice and I am not sure I would take the same pictures in the same row again, if I would have to vote another time.
There are plenty good pictures, but in my eyes there are 5 pictures so good, everyone of them could be the worthy winner.
Very well done everybody.
Kent, thank you so much for this wonderful tradition:)

charlesholland
01-13-2015, 04:32
Voted (without entering pictures). Great initiative! Great pictures to choose from!

Mauro
01-13-2015, 05:14
I have just voted: a hard choice indeed, the pictures are wonderful.
Kent, you deserve our thanks for this great project!

semrich
01-13-2015, 11:37
Kent, thanks and appreciation for your time and effort in managing this. I've cast my votes in the spirit of "The Decisive Moment," a tough decision given the quality of the entries.