PDA

View Full Version : Rff Postcard Cinco!

rbiemer
05-12-2014, 05:40
OK, folks, it has been a bit longer between #4 and this round than I'd hoped for.
BUT, I am now ready and able to organize our latest postcard project.

SO....
For those just tuning in...:)
I am starting "RFF post card project cinco" as of now.
This is a project we have done several--well four--times before and it is, I think, quite fun. The idea is that we each make postcards of one of our own photos and send that card to everyone else who is playing. The same image for everyone. After we have all mailed our cards, we will each get a small photo show from around the world. And we will all have the same exhibit.

I will collect real addresses from who ever wants to join in.

I will NOT use those addresses for anything other than this project.

I will accept addresses for a specific length of time--probably about a month--and then send a list of all the addresses to each of us who are playing.

We all then will have another month to shoot, make, and mail postcards.

We each mail the same card to all the other folks on the list. So, if there are 40 people again, we each would mail 39 cards. Of the same image.

This is an international exercise and y'all should keep that in mind.

I set no subject or gear restrictions. But these are postcards which means the image will be seen by all the people who handle the mail as it goes from you to the rest of us.

How the cards are made is up to each person; I have printed my own and have also used an on-line company to print my cards.
Frankly, I liked the paper I used better when I printed my own but I liked the print quality better when I had the cards made. I'm in the US and for me the cost was effectively the same for either doing my own or having them made.

For the first four rounds, I did not limit the number of players except by the cut off date; how ever many folks sent me their addresses was the final number. That is still the plan. We have been right around 40 or 50 people for each of the previous rounds.

To keep the mechanics of organizing this as simple as possible (in the hope that I don't miss any one who wants to join in), I have a specific email address that I will be using for this round.
And, as I mentioned above, I do not use your addresses for anything but this specific round.

THIS MEANS that if you want to participate, I need you to send to the new email address the following info:
Your name and address (including your country--this is directed at us USA folks, we sometimes forget that there is a big world out there) in the correct format for your country.
your RFF username.I will collect addresses from now until I wake up and check my email on 17 June--Tuesday.

I will take a day or two to make sure I have the list correct and will email the list to all of us.

Plan on mailing your cards out NO sooner than 17 July.

And please have 'em all in the mail by 17 August.

A few last things:

Please do NOT pm me nor use any previous email address to send me your info.

If the numbers of us who want to do this get very large, I will let us all know in this thread and we can then decide what to do.

And, finally, the email address I need y'all to use if you want to play:

[email protected]

Thanks for joining in everyone!

If you all have any questions and or suggestions, please post 'em here in this thread!

We have done this project before and the results have been excellent. I think this round will be another great exchange of photos!

Warm regards, all!
Rob

zauhar
05-12-2014, 06:15
I sent you a message Rob.

Apologies to everyone for not acknowledging all the cards I received last time, I came in late and then life got in the way. ;-(

Randy

twhittle
05-12-2014, 08:56
This sounds really good! Can't wait to see what everyone else sends out

Did anyone print in the darkroom last time? I am trying to figure out whether its a good idea or not. . .

rollinade
05-12-2014, 10:06
Count me in!

Did anyone print in the darkroom last time? I am trying to figure out whether its a good idea or not. . .

I think two people did last round---I really appreciated the effort.

raid
05-12-2014, 10:13
Count me in, too.

seakayaker1
05-12-2014, 11:37
Rob, sent along the email to the [email protected] as requested.

Thank you for organizing this activity once again. I have enjoyed each of the previous rounds and already look forward to the arrival of the first postcard in my mailbox!

As an FYI for estimating costs for the RFF Project: for mailing from the US.

Postal rates from Unites States Postal Service:

First-Class Mail® Postcards Domestic Rate -
Maximum size: 6 inches long by 4-1/4 inches high by .016 inch thick: $0.34

First-Class Mail® International Postcard Rate -
Maximum size 6" length x 4-1/4" height $1.15

There have been participants in the past that have printed their own postcards and they perhaps can share their costs for that activity.

I have used MOO.Com for printing and have been quite happy with the results.

There current posted prices for printing cards are:

Qty CLASSIC LUXE
10 $9.99 $29.99
20 $19.98 $59.98
50 $41.99 $119.99
100 $69.98 $200.00

They are currently offering free shipment for orders $40.00 and greater. I have usually ordered 50 or more to have extras to send to family and friends.

In the past there was only one price and now they offer a Luxe version. I have always used the Classic version and have felt they were great quality.

I personally have found the cost of participating worth the joy of receiving, viewing and reading comments on each of the post cards from around the country and the world.

Do hope we have another great turn out for this project.

kxl
05-12-2014, 11:59
I've participated in all 4, so I'm in for cinco as well. Will email you tonight.

robert blu
05-12-2014, 13:28
Thanks Rob for organizing Cinco! The "postgirl" (how do you call the postman when she's a girl?) delivering in my quarter is waiting for this! I was in all the previous 4 rounds and glad to be in N° 5 as well! I'll mail you tomorrow! It will be a great fun!
robert

ricnak
05-12-2014, 16:11
Looking forward to another round.

michaelwj
05-12-2014, 20:32
email sent. Thanks for organising

Michael

merciless49
05-12-2014, 22:37
I'm in, Rob! E-mail sent, thanks for organizing this!

nikon_sam
05-12-2014, 22:38
This sounds really good! Can't wait to see what everyone else sends out

I printed mine and I believe one other person did too...(Randy Zauhar)
Looking at the price list that seakayaker1 posted printing your own isn't all that bad...once I got the right exposure time nailed down it was turn & burn...took me an afternoon (long one) but I liked the results...
I would do it again the same way...:cool:

dct
05-13-2014, 01:32
Count me in.

stitchohana
05-13-2014, 05:14
Hi Rob,

Already email to you. Thanks for organising ~

varchs
05-13-2014, 06:02
I have already sent an email! Thank you for organizing the event!

conradyiu
05-13-2014, 06:54
Count me it ! Email sent.
Thanks for arrangement ^^

robert blu
05-14-2014, 09:49
Email sent! Now, which photo to select? Hmmm
robert

rbiemer
05-18-2014, 03:16
Got a bunch of emails so far, folks!
I haven't responded to any of them yet but will do so later today.
About a dozen and a half people as of this morning.
Rob

bojanfurst
05-18-2014, 03:57
This is my favourite part of RFF. Email sent!

jweber3rd
05-18-2014, 17:36
Rob,

Thank you for organizing the postcard project again. I just sent an email to participate in this round.

John

Don Parsons
05-24-2014, 20:56
A bump for the weekend viewers for a very fun thread/project.

rbiemer
05-28-2014, 08:52
As I type this, we are at 21 people. I sent confirmations to all of you.

There were two folks who's email systems refused my email--I generally send individual emails but I was in a bit of a hurry last week and sent a mass email to all the folks at once and that may be why.
So, I just sent those two folks an individual confirmation.

If you have sent me your info and have NOT gotten an email back, I apologize and please resend!

We are about 20 days away from the cut off date and I'd be very pleased to see more folks joining in!

Rob

raid
05-28-2014, 09:00
Thanks, Rob. We need eventually to know how many cards to have printed.

robert blu
05-28-2014, 09:07
I think to print 40 cards. If we are more than 40 I'll let print more, but someone will receive the cards later!
robert

dct
05-28-2014, 13:57
As usual I'm late with my subject decision, card order and delivery at the latest moment :o
If I know the exact number in a few weeks it is early enough.

krötenblender
05-28-2014, 14:26
Just saw the new thread by accident, and of course I'm in again.

May be it would be a good idea to post the new round in the old threads. I was hoping the whole time to get a message from the old thread-subscriptions, that the new round is to be announced. So it was pure luck, that I found this new one.

Best regards to all and looking forward again to your new postcards.

Maybe I have to change my address later in this round, we will move to a new home between July and August. I hope, that is okay.

Red Rock Bill
05-28-2014, 14:27
I've never done anything like this and am looking forward to the exchange. Regards,Bill

Don Parsons
05-28-2014, 14:43
It's fun Bill! Coming home to 2-4 postcards a day from around the world, what a blast.

dct
05-28-2014, 15:02
[...]Maybe I have to change my address later in this round, we will move to a new home between July and August. I hope, that is okay.What if we say: NOPE !? :)

krötenblender
05-28-2014, 23:01
What if we say: NOPE !? :)

I don't move then. There you have it. I want the postcards! ;)

ricnak
05-29-2014, 04:05
^ wonderful response.

I confess to paying for a yearly post office box just so that I don't miss any postcard opportunities.

rbiemer
06-10-2014, 04:33
Just about a week to go, folks and we are right around two dozen players as I type this post.
Happy to "see" you all and would enjoy more people joining in!

Warm regards,
Rob

seakayaker1
06-11-2014, 14:57
Just a bump to the top to see if a few more members will join in with the RFF Postcard exchange.

It is a fun project and have enjoyed all the cards that I received in the previous four RFF Postcard Projects!

rover
06-11-2014, 15:11
I have actually been out shooting so wifey has some photos to choose from for my postcard.

randolph45
06-11-2014, 16:44
Thanks for the bump Seakayaker1. I sent my email to Rob today.I haven't seen this thread till right now this hour.I would hate to miss this one.
Randolph45

seakayaker1
06-14-2014, 22:25
Thanks for the bump Seakayaker1. I sent my email to Rob today.I haven't seen this thread till right now this hour.I would hate to miss this one.
Randolph45

Your welcome!

..... and another bump in the hopes that someone else may read and join in the Postcard Exchange!

rbiemer
06-17-2014, 08:19
I had planned to do the final list this morning but I suddenly need to go out of town for a few days...

SO, I will let the list build a little more: from now until Saturday 21 June.

As well, it has been pointed out to me that I forgot to put a "heads up!" post in the thread for round four, so I will do that now and hopefully we will have a few more folks who want to play.

As of now, we are at 24 or 25 people.

Thanks for y'all being patient with me!

Warm regards,
Rob

seakayaker1
06-19-2014, 17:34
Rob, it would be great to pick up a few people to join in on the fun!

Thanks for your ongoing support and proactive work on keeping the Rff Postcard exchange project moving forward.

rbiemer
06-21-2014, 09:54
OK, folks, I have just emailed every one with our "final" list of players!
Please check your emails and check the list to make sure your address is correct.
If anyone has not got that email, please let me know as quickly as you can so I can fix my mistake.
As of right now, we are at 27 people. A small but select :D group.

Now, I need to shoot something for this round and get the file off to Moo!

Thank you all again for making these so much fun!

Warm regards,
Rob

farlymac
06-21-2014, 10:27
Arrgh! Missed out. Looks like I need to peruse the Projects forum on a regular basis. Have fun everyone, and I hope to join in the next time.

PF

kxl
06-21-2014, 10:45
Thanks for coordinating this once again, Rob. Heading down to San Diego for a conference next week, so my entry is going to be taken somewhere in SD. Probably some kind of water theme. Also, it'll be a good time to take out for a spin this beautiful Hex-M 28/2.8 that I just got from Bob (nanthor). Looking forward to seeing everyone's photos once again.

-Keith

raid
06-21-2014, 11:04
We have around 50% of participants from outside the USA.

dct
06-22-2014, 00:02
Well balanced this time!

grandallj
06-27-2014, 13:12
Arrgh! Missed out. Looks like I need to peruse the Projects forum on a regular basis. Have fun everyone, and I hope to join in the next time.

PF

Me too! Just came across this thread and would have loved to join. Hopefully next time around --

eyesglassy
07-14-2014, 08:09
Surprised to find a beautiful postcard in the box today. I better get busy!

kxl
07-14-2014, 08:50

Already? In that case, I have to call my printer PRONTO!

dct
07-14-2014, 13:56

Me too, got it this weekend. Someone couldn't wait :D

varchs
07-14-2014, 14:00
It is a great feeling finding the postcard in the mailbox!
I have printed mine during the weekend, and I'll mail them tomorrow!
I am excited with the RFF postcard project that I am looking toward to check my mailbox each morning!

bojanfurst
07-14-2014, 14:34
Oh... I am afraid I jumped the gun. But moo.com delivered so quickly, it seemed a sin to sit on them ;)

varchs
07-15-2014, 00:48
Oh... I am afraid I jumped the gun. But moo.com delivered so quickly, it seemed a sin to sit on them ;)

...they did a stunning work also...

conradyiu
07-15-2014, 11:13
Am I in? No email received ..

varchs
07-15-2014, 11:45

Yep you're in!

michaelwj
07-15-2014, 20:04
I've just got mine back from the printer, wondering how I'm going to write on the back. I an envelope okay (I know it won't technically be a postcard)

Michael

randolph45
07-15-2014, 21:07
I've just got mine back from the printer, wondering how I'm going to write on the back. I an envelope okay (I know it won't technically be a postcard)

Michael

There have been envelopes with postcards in all previous postcard projects:)

motion_runner
07-18-2014, 09:28
Today I received my second card. Thank you, Bojan and Vasilis! Great work!

krötenblender
07-18-2014, 10:35
I also got my second card today, same senders. The cards are great, thank you both. Good start!

conradyiu
07-18-2014, 14:23
Please let me have all the address and real name ([email protected]), gmail doesnt work in China .....

varchs
07-18-2014, 14:43
I am glad you liked it, even if due to mass production they came out not that clean...
(This was fast, 3 days delivery in the EU)

bojanfurst
07-20-2014, 08:34
Got my first postcard in this round. A lovely card from Franz. Looking forward to all the others.

raid
07-20-2014, 09:06
I must order some cards once my computer is cleaned off the virus.

dct
07-20-2014, 09:57
Today I received my second card. Thank you, Bojan and Vasilis! Great work!Now I got my 2nd card too.
And my order from MOO.COM was also in my letter box. :o

randolph45
07-20-2014, 12:29
I have one card so far :) from Newfoundland . Still have not ordered mine so will be late this year I guess .

seakayaker1
07-21-2014, 11:10
Received one post card so far, a wonderful start.

I ordered mine today from MOO and scheduled delivery is for August 1st, and will have them out shortly after that.

As always, looking forward to receiving everyones post card.

robert blu
07-21-2014, 11:27
Sorry to be late this round, I had the cards printed but than I thought the subject was not appropriate and I decided to have another photo printed. I should receive them in a couple of days. Sorry for this delay. Plan to write and send them before the end of the week.
robert

rollinade
07-21-2014, 20:58
Two lovely cards in my hands so far from Bojan and Vasilis! I'm running a little late on mine, should be done soon.

Red Rock Bill
07-22-2014, 10:01
printed my cards Sunday,all are in the mail today,received 2 nice cards thus far...Bill

robert blu
07-23-2014, 10:14
I received the printed cards today, writing by now, I'll send them tomorrow!
rob

raid
07-23-2014, 10:22
I will today get back my computer that was infested with some virus. Then I can order cards.

stitchohana
07-24-2014, 07:35
Just finished making the postcard, will get it posted out by end of week. :)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3847/14547101459_4e091cd663_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oatGs8)
206/365 - Postcard Project (https://flic.kr/p/oatGs8) by Ricky-Lai (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr

raid
07-24-2014, 09:12
I have ordered my cards by Moo. I have received only one card so far.

ColSebastianMoran
07-24-2014, 09:20
Great images on the cards so far! Mine are on order and should be ready to send soon. Thanks for doing this!

kxl
07-24-2014, 09:30
Just picked up my cards. Will send them out no later than this weekend. Cheers!

raid
07-25-2014, 09:43
Keith,
Was it you who had a list of all addresses on a label software that could be printed? That list was very useful in cutting down the time and effort to write the addresses, and it was most likely safe from having errors.

rbiemer
07-25-2014, 09:54

Have you got the email I sent to you in the last few days? I sent it to both email addresses you sent me.

I have got three cards so far, beautiful work as usual!

Rob

rbiemer
07-25-2014, 09:56
Keith,
Was it you who had a list of all addresses on a label software that could be printed? That list was very useful in cutting down the time and effort to write the addresses, and it was most likely safe from having errors.

Raid, I attached an excel file to the email with the addresses; wouldn't that be relatively straight forward to import into a label template? (I don't know one way or the other)

Rob

kxl
07-25-2014, 10:43
Raid, I attached an excel file to the email with the addresses; wouldn't that be relatively straight forward to import into a label template? (I don't know one way or the other)

Rob

Raid - yes, it was me.

And Rob is correct. I'm basically cutting and pasting from what Rob provided to an MS-Word Avery label template.

But it's no big deal to send it. Raid - I think I still have your email address, but PM it to me anyway to be sure.

raid
07-25-2014, 11:30
Thank you, Rob. I am sure that this is the same in the end.

Thank you, Keith. This will work too!

raid
07-25-2014, 15:21
I have received a total of three cards now. Thanks.

jweber3rd
07-26-2014, 02:29
I have also received the cards far from Bojan and Vasilis. My postcards are on their way!

John

ricnak
07-26-2014, 04:03
Good to hear that things are happening.

I am not allowing myself to go the the post office box until i send mine.

I pick them up on Monday.

I ended up going to the local "print anything" shop down the street. They were very happy happy to print as little as needed. In the past I went with web order sites and have ended up with hundreds more than I ordered. Times that by 4 rounds of the project and now I have more than a thousand sitting on the shelf! I use the extras for the grocery shopping lists and thank you notes when I buy something (not happening much these days). I probably have a life time supply here now.

raid
07-26-2014, 06:16
I ordered thirty cards at Moo.

stitchohana
07-30-2014, 01:31
Just gotten all postcards dropped @ the mailbox. Should be in your mailbox within a week. :)

raid
07-30-2014, 14:04
The postcards from Moo arrived today, but they left the front blank. No image is shown. I hope that they will correct this error.

raid
07-30-2014, 14:11
MOO is awesome. They just told me that even though I had uploaded an image, it was not dragged to a specific template, so this is why no image is shown on the front of the cards. They are now printing new cards for me for free. Sorry for the delay,.

kxl
07-30-2014, 14:25
Raid - you could have just sent the blank cards and called it minimalist art. LOL. I got too busy this past weekend with other things, but hope to send mine out later this week.

raid
07-30-2014, 14:48
Keith,
I would have done something; anything then.
I am glad that customer service is so great at MOO. I mean, he took care of it all within less than 5 minutes on the phone.

robert blu
07-31-2014, 01:57
Raid - you could have just sent the blank cards and called it minimalist art. LOL.

Great idea!
robert

robert blu
07-31-2014, 01:59
MOO is awesome. They just told me that even though I had uploaded an image, it was not dragged to a specific template, so this is why no image is shown on the front of the cards. They are now printing new cards for me for free. Sorry for the delay,.

I like to have cards and other things printed by Moo, they are doing it quit well. Sometimes I find navigating through their menus not very intuitive but than when I realize how it works it is ok. Now waiting for your cards, ciao
robert

raid
07-31-2014, 07:38
The quality of the paper stock and the quality of the printing is first class at MOO.
I will stay with them for future printing needs.
I gave Dana and Lina the 30 blank cards to draw on.

bojanfurst
07-31-2014, 08:27
Raid. You should see the business cards they printed for me. They blew me away. And it was their regular not LUXE option.

raid
07-31-2014, 14:16
I am glad that they have support by their customers.

ricnak
08-01-2014, 03:21
Well I was supposed to pick up my postcards on Monday, I got busy and did not get there until yesterday. The local guy had "forgot" about the order anyway. I was OK with that ( I did forget to pick it up ) so we went through the whole process again of numbers, size, finish, details on the other side blah blah blah. Got there today and he handed them to me in for free, saying he apologized for the delay blah blah blah. Turns out, the black and white is green and white, the 6 by 4 is 5 by 7 and the gloss finish is a dull scratchy matt/something. I will print them out myself on the weekend.

I did go to my post office box today. I was thrilled to find 3 postcards there. Nice to see other parts of the globe.

h.

back alley
08-01-2014, 07:36
…had i thought of the 'moo' alternative for printing postcards i might have joined in on this venture long ago…maybe next time!

raid
08-01-2014, 07:38
They use heavy paper, and the prints come out sharp at MOO. For 30 copies, the cost is about $1.25 for each card (shipped)

raid
08-02-2014, 16:40
My cards arrived today. Moo did a great job. Each card looks like a painting. Next, I will print out the addresses on labels, and then it is off to the post office.

merciless49
08-03-2014, 09:53
I just received my cards, will mail these out next week. My apologies for the delay, and thank you all for the wonderful cards (received and about to be received).

michaelwj
08-03-2014, 22:24
Finally got to the post office today to mail out the cards. Haven't received any yet, but I'm a long way away from everyone except Helen... (that's code for "don't expect them quickly!").

Michael

dct
08-04-2014, 08:32
Dear all,
I apologize for my mistake! I made two stacks of cards to send off during my holidays but only one made its way into my bag (the few European ones).

All overseas - including the USA/CDN cards - are still on my desk at home where I will be back by end of August :bang:

Hence most of you will receive my card end of August or beginning of September, not in the agreed time.

My bad. :(

raid
08-04-2014, 08:36
If I recall correctly, for mailing out cards from the USA to another country (except Mexico or Canada), the cost for a card alone and a card inside an envelope is the same. Am I correct?

kxl
08-04-2014, 09:45
If I recall correctly, for mailing out cards from the USA to another country (except Mexico or Canada), the cost for a card alone and a card inside an envelope is the same. Am I correct?

That is correct. The price is $1.15 for a int'l postcard or first class int'l mail (based on the size and weight limits of a 'regular letter') -- same price to any int'l destination (Canada, Australia and everything in between).

raid
08-04-2014, 10:45
Thanks, Keith. Cards stay clean when inside an envelope.

randolph45
08-04-2014, 15:14
I ordered my cards from Moo yesterday:)
So far I have received 6 cards

kxl
08-05-2014, 09:21
Dropped off mine at the post office on Saturday, so those on the west coast, especially those in California, will likely get them today, or tomorrow at the latest. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's postcards.

seakayaker1
08-06-2014, 15:46
Dear all,
I apologize for my mistake! I made two stacks of cards to send off during my holidays but only one made its way into my bag (the few European ones).

All overseas - including the USA/CDN cards - are still on my desk at home where I will be back by end of August :bang:

Hence most of you will receive my card end of August or beginning of September, not in the agreed time.

No worries, it is well worth the wait!

..... and it is always nice and adds a little joy to the day when a card appear in the mail box.

BTW, I hope to have all of mine posted over this weekend. Work and a house project has kept me behind schedule for the things I would rather be doing!

rbiemer
08-08-2014, 11:15
Got my cards from Moo yesterday...and might have to have them redone; I may have left the "auto enhance" (or whatever it's called) thing checked. My cards do not look as good as they should...going to look at my order details when I get home to my computer and double check.
Might be a bit of a delay for mine to go out, folks.
Have gotten a few cards, all of them very good, thank you all!
Rob

raid
08-08-2014, 13:07
I mailed out today all my cards today. I hope that none get lost in the mail.

Don Parsons
08-09-2014, 06:28
Gang,

I'm sorry I haven't sent my cards yet. I've had them for 3 weeks, but let me explain.

I had Overnight Prints print them up. Ususally they do a great job. Not so much this time. The cards came back with an image that washed out and lacking in detail. It looked as if they printed it out on regular paper and then made copies of it.

My question to you is: Do I send it out anyway or send it back and try again?

Depressed Don

randolph45
08-09-2014, 11:33
Gang,

I'm sorry I haven't sent my cards yet. I've had them for 3 weeks, but let me explain.

I had Overnight Prints print them up. Ususally they do a great job. Not so much this time. The cards came back with an image that washed out and lacking in detail. It looked as if they printed it out on regular paper and then made copies of it.

My question to you is: Do I send it out anyway or send it back and try again?

Depressed Don

Hey Don
Let them do um again.
The customer should get what he or she paid for.
This is not a race so we all can wait till the cows come home:)
I just mailed mine today, so know worries:)
Layed back in California
Randy T

rollinade
08-10-2014, 19:25
I made an awful mistake in my order to Moo.com. Somehow I chose to print the photo on the matte side and the text on the glossy. I sent them an e-mail and they had my order redone and in the mail the next day. I am very happy with their print quality and customer service.

I will have my postcards in the mail tomorrow morning.

Thanks to the eight whose cards I've received: Bojan, Robert (in Italy), Keith, John W., Frank, Vasilis, Bill, and Stephan.

-Adam

ricnak
08-11-2014, 04:04
Just finished my cards. They will be in the post tomorrow.

motion_runner
08-11-2014, 10:51
I have received nine cards so far.

Today Michael's impressive photograph arrived, protected by an envelope. It was worthwhile.

Thank you all!

zauhar
08-11-2014, 11:06
Thanks to those who have already sent them out - I received 6 cards, really stunning work.

I have about half mine made, ran out of Ilford postcards - ordered more, will arrive tomorrow. I should have mine sent prior to the 17 Aug deadline!

Randy

michaelwj
08-12-2014, 02:21
So after I clicked that I had written my own address wrong (its number 42, not 12 if anyones interested) I went up to number 12 and collected beautiful cards from Vasilis, Bill, Robert, and Ricky. I was a bit sceptical at the beginning, but it is very touching. A fantastic experience so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest coming.
Some may have been returned to sender. Unfortunately, some were thrown out. Sorry anyone who's cards they were.

Cheers,
Michael

zauhar
08-16-2014, 10:19
Got mine out today, 14 US and 14 overseas !

Look forward to receiving the remainder, all the cards I received so far are wonderful, thanks to all.

Randy

Red Rock Bill
08-16-2014, 10:47
I never realized how good you can feel when receiving a postcard.....I'm just sorry I didn't join up for the first four....a real treat and well done........regards,Bill

rollinade
08-19-2014, 21:22
I never realized how good you can feel when receiving a postcard.....

It makes my day, every time.

Yesterday I received two postcards from Mretina in Italy---mine and somehow clinging to it was the one destined for Don Parsons in St. Louis. I wrote a note on it and stuck it in the mailbox. Hopefully, Don will get that soon. It's so unmistakably Italian, with a beautiful warmth and subtle color palette.

stitchohana
08-21-2014, 00:32
loving this postcard exchange, this is the first time i send out a postcard in my life (if my memories doesn't failed me) and this is the first time i received so many postcards!

varchs
08-21-2014, 05:23
For family issues I am away from home and my mailbox....
I am kind of nervous as I am occasionally thinking of the remaining postcards that might be delivered.
It is a great experience and we should do it again.
All my best,
Vasilis

raid
08-21-2014, 06:17
My family know that they have to look for any postcards in the mail. This is followed by placing cards inside a Ziploc bag in one of the kitchen cabinet drawers. I have two or three bags filled with cards from past RFF postcard projects, and the "new bag" is slowly filling up with cards. It is a joy to receive cards from you.

back alley
08-21-2014, 07:28
i have about 10 postcards now…very cool!
thinking that i'll leave them on the living room coffee table for awhile...

seakayaker1
08-21-2014, 18:05
Back from vacation on Tuesday, cards in the mail yesterday a few days past the deadline.

Received 16 cards to date: 8 from the USA and 8 from around the world!

01. Frank (motion_runner) Krefeld, Germany
02. Stephan (krotenblender) Bremen, Germany
03. Bojan (bojanfurst) St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
04. Ricky (stitchohana) Singapore
05. Michael (michaelwj) Preston, Victoria, Australia
06. Vasilis (VArchS) Kastoria, Greece
07. Max (Mretina) Milano, Italy
08. Robert (robert blu) Busto Arsizio, Italy
09. John (jweber3rd) Atlanta, GA
10. Adam (rollinade) Cincinatti, OH
11. Randy (randolph45) Sacramento, CA
12. Keith (KXL), Chino Hills, CA
13. Ming (merciless49) San Diego, CA
14. Raid (raid) Pensacola, FL
15. Bill (Red Rock Bill) Gallup, NM
16. Rick (ColSebastianMoran) Grantham NH

9 color and 7 black & white.

Looking forward to more!

raid
08-21-2014, 18:12
Thank you for the list.

seakayaker1
08-23-2014, 09:05
Add one more to the list that came in yesterday's mail!

Received 17 cards to date: 8 from the USA and 9 from around the world!

17. Helen (ricnak) Brisbane, Australia

9 color and 8 black & white.

Looking forward to more!

back alley
08-28-2014, 18:45
2 more in the mail today…what a treat!
been a down week for me but getting these post cards has been a real boost.
i wonder what my mail carrier thinks?

dct
08-29-2014, 10:49
The vacations are finished and the overseas cards (from an EU point of view) are on its way too. When I got the box with the retained mail after three weeks there where at least a dozen of cards in it :cool:

As soon as the weekend begins I will start examine calmly all your cards. This is always really exciting. Thank you all for participating.

Dear all,

seakayaker1
08-31-2014, 08:37

Received 19 cards to date: 10 from the USA and 9 from around the world!

18. Randy (zauhar) Philadelphia, PA
19. Dan (seakayaker1) Seattle, WA

Sent mine out a week ago so I have included it on the list!

9 color and 10 black & white.

Looking forward to receiving more!

conradyiu
09-03-2014, 08:36
Where is mine ?

randolph45
09-03-2014, 13:17
Where is mine ?

Conrad
I checked my cards and yours has not arrived here in California yet.

Red Rock Bill
09-03-2014, 13:30
have received 19 thus far including Shanghai today...Bill

seakayaker1
09-03-2014, 22:11

Received 20 cards to date: 10 from the USA and 10 from around the world!

20. Aditya (bogelgelbo) Bandung, Indonesia

Sent mine out a week ago so I have included it on the list!

9 color and 11 black & white.

Where is mine ?

I have not seen your card as of yet. In all the previous swaps I believe there has always been one or two lost in the postal systems. Then there is always one or two that take longer than usual to arrive.

I am always willing to send out a second card to anyone who may not have received mine. So let me know if you have not received it and I will be glad to post another.

seakayaker1
09-05-2014, 21:43
Add one more to the list that came in today's mail!

Received 21 cards to date: 11 from the USA and 10 from around the world!

21. Don (Don Parsons) St. Louis, MO

10 color and 11 black & white.

rbiemer
09-06-2014, 06:21
First thing, I need to apologize to all of you; I have had my cards printed twice and neither "version" has been acceptable.:bang: My fault the first time because I forgot to uncheck the auto enhance box and the colors came out awful. The second time the crop was off enough to make the composition poor:bang:
So, onto plan C. Which means I needed to buy some ink for my printer and do the cards myself. Which means my cards to y'all will be late.

Conrad,
Have you been getting cards?

joe, I asked my postmistress here in Raquette Lake what she thought of the cards that have been coming in this time and her answer was that she mostly didn't look at the front of any postcards since her concern was the final sorting and that meant she looks at the address side not the picture side.

Apologetically,
Rob

dct
09-06-2014, 12:01
Where is mine ?
Sorry Conrad, I also didn't get any card from your side so far.
Did you receive ours (especially mine, which was sent out in the beginning of September)?

back alley
09-06-2014, 12:53
First thing, I need to apologize to all of you; I have had my cards printed twice and neither "version" has been acceptable.:bang: My fault the first time because I forgot to uncheck the auto enhance box and the colors came out awful. The second time the crop was off enough to make the composition poor:bang:
So, onto plan C. Which means I needed to buy some ink for my printer and do the cards myself. Which means my cards to y'all will be late.

Conrad,
Have you been getting cards?

joe, I asked my postmistress here in Raquette Lake what she thought of the cards that have been coming in this time and her answer was that she mostly didn't look at the front of any postcards since her concern was the final sorting and that meant she looks at the address side not the picture side.

Apologetically,
Rob

i rarely see my mail carrier...

rbiemer
09-06-2014, 15:51
i rarely see my mail carrier...

Raquette is a very small town( all of 98 year round residents) and we only get our mail delivered in the summer--by boat--and in the rest of the year, we have to go to the post office to pick up our mail.
I do see my carrier fairly often, typically for beers/martinis after work.:)
Rob

conradyiu
09-07-2014, 19:56
have received 19 thus far including Shanghai today...Bill

Hi Bill, you got my card ! From Shanghai?

I received 12 cards already !

randolph45
09-08-2014, 13:30
Conrad
Your Shanghi card arrived in todays mail:)

raid
09-08-2014, 18:27
I got today Conrad's card from Shanghai.

dct
09-09-2014, 14:32
I got today Conrad's card from Shanghai.

Me too! :D

Has anybody received my card already (blue synagogue)? I'm asking due to my dispatching problems I created myself... :(

randolph45
09-09-2014, 23:15

Has anybody received my card already (blue synagogue)? I'm asking due to my dispatching problems I created myself... :(

Not yet here in California:(

ricnak
09-10-2014, 02:05
I did the rare trek to my post office box today and was delighted with the outcome.

There is real art in the mailbox!

Thank you to all that get involved.

h.

seakayaker1
09-10-2014, 06:21

Received 22 cards to date: 11 from the USA and 11 from around the world!

22. Conrad (conradyiu) Shanghai, China

10 color and 12 black & white.

Valentino, I have not received yours yet, hopefully arrives in the mailbox soon!

robert blu
09-15-2014, 03:56
Another good one today, from Shanghai ! Great Project, thanks to all of you sneding cards!
robert

raid
09-15-2014, 05:42
Thanks to all who sent out cards. I will try to participate each year in this project.

michaelwj
09-17-2014, 20:33
Thanks to all who sent out cards. I will try to participate each year in this project.

Yes, me too. Its been fantastic.
So far I have received 19 cards. I am yet to receive cards from;
eyesglassy (Joe)
twhittle (Thomas)
conradyiu (Conrad)
rbiemer (Rob)
dct (Valentino)
Bjorn
rover (Ralph)
But of course many of those may have been sent out before I noticed I had the wrong address down and the folk at the other house started holding on to them. Of course, I am a long way from everyone (except Helen)!

Thanks to all, I'm already looking forward to round 6!

Michael

michaelwj
09-21-2014, 16:06
Where is mine ?

Received both these cards today, post stamped the 24th and 29th of August respectively. Took almost a month!
Thank you

Michael

varchs
09-22-2014, 02:16
I am away from home for some weeks and some cards might be at my mailbox...
I am curious to see the whole collection.

Any thoughts on archiving method for the cards???

seakayaker1
09-25-2014, 22:45

Received 23 cards to date: 11 from the USA and 12 from around the world!

23. Valentino (dct) Duernten, Switzerland

11 color and 12 black & white.

Valentino, thank you for the beautiful card!

randolph45
09-25-2014, 22:54
Valentinos
Card came today:)

dct
09-25-2014, 23:03
That's a weight off my mind, thank you all for confirmation.

rbiemer
10-07-2014, 05:30
I have to make a preemptive apology to all our postcard project players; my card is, frankly, not very good. And I am likely to be the last mailer--the cards I am sending are going out in today's mail.:(
I had the cards printed twice and neither time were they as good as I'd expected.
But, in the interest of getting past round 5, I'm sending what I have.

So, I suspect we have all got the cards we are likely to get (except for mine) so I think that if people want to start sharing what they sent, anytime from now is fine. I will wait 'til mine start arriving in folks' mailboxes before I share what I sent.

I am embarrassed particularly because the cards have been especially excellent this round, well done y'all!

Rob

seagrove
10-07-2014, 05:39
I am sorry I have not seen this before. Sounds like a great way to "see" the world and gain some interesting contacts. Any plans for another any time soon?

rbiemer
10-07-2014, 06:19
Yes, there will be another round. Probably not until just after the first of next year (January 2015). Unless any one else wants to start one!:)

These postcard projects have been a lot of fun and a large part of that is that we all end up with a small worldwide collection of great photos.

When I start one, I generally will post at the end of the thread fro the previous round and also start a new thread here in the "RFF Photo Projects" forum, so stay tuned.
Rob
I am sorry I have not seen this before. Sounds like a great way to "see" the world and gain some interesting contacts. Any plans for another any time soon?

bojanfurst
10-08-2014, 01:20
These are always fun and I am looking forward to the next round. I jumped the gun on sending mine this time around so, it's only fair to be the first one to post as well ;)

The photo below is a root cellar on Change Islands, a small archipelago just off the northeast coast of the main island of Newfoundland, Canada. The community of Change Islands has about 250 people and fisheries remain the most important activity, not just economic, but social and cultural activity as well. These root cellars are still used to store root vegetables for the winter. I also happen to think they'd make a cool darkroom ;)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5179/5531798359_62d0a7a12b_z.jpg

ricnak
10-08-2014, 01:50
Rob, don't stress. I have felt like you on more than one occasion during the postcard projects. I think I went as far as doing a triple try when i could not decide on colour v's [email protected]!

Here is mine for this round:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2948/15476309455_a54230f7d1_c.jpg

Taken during the June school holidays in Oz. Did an contrary holiday and took the son's to Tasmania. The subject is a Tasmanian Devil - a healthy one which is minus the devil facial tumour disease. They are quite cute in a savage way. You often see tham as roadkill. Wikipedia tells me that "they are the largest carnivorous marsupial after the extinction of the Thylacine (also from Tasmania) in 1936". I would love to see a Thylacine in the wild.

Thanks to all who sent postcards. It is a great treat. Thanks again to Rob for doing all the coordinating.

Cheers all.
helen

stitchohana
10-09-2014, 01:02
I'm felt happy to be part of this postcard exchange and always look forward in receiving the postcards. Hope to take part again in the next round.

So here's mine:

Old block of flats where I used to stay for 23 yrs. It's going to be demolish real soon.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3136/12989600624_9b057f14b6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/kMR6Hs)
066/365 - Old Flats (https://flic.kr/p/kMR6Hs) by Ricky-Lai (https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr

michaelwj
10-09-2014, 20:04
Here's mine (click to make it a bit bigger - I don't know how to attach it big?);

Shot one night during a big southerly storm at the rock pool at South Curl Curl (northern beaches of Sydney). My parents built a house over the road from the beach and retired there a few years ago, and since I've been visiting, I've had this shot in my head, I just needed the right conditions. I took 2 frames, and they both looked pretty good. With a bit of dodging and burning, the shot ended up as I had anticipated, which doesn't always happen!

Details: M6, CV 2.5/35, TMAX100 @ EI100 in TMAX dev, about 15-20 seconds and maybe f/8-11? The pool is lit by a large flood light in the upper right of the shot. Scanned with a Plustek 7100, printed on Ilford Smooth Pearl.

Thanks again to everyone who participated, it was fantastic!
Michael

raid
10-10-2014, 08:27
http://raid.smugmug.com/Other/M8-Rigid-Summicron-Fog/i-SGtGRXs/0/M/Fog%20and%20Fishing%20Boats-M.jpg

It was a pleasure to receive your cards. My card has an i age taken outside Joe Patti's Seafood in Pensacola. There was fog, and the M8 with the 50mm Rigid Summicron worked well together.

seakayaker1
10-10-2014, 09:14
This photograph was taken at the Center for Wooden Boats on South Lake Union on December 29, 2012 on the day of the Opening of the Museum of History and Industry. It was a typical late December day with mist, overcast, and cool weather. The image was taken with a Leica M6TTL using a Summilux-M 50 f1.4 ASPH lens with Ilford HP5 black & white film. The negative was developed a Moon Photo in Seattle and scanned onto a disk which was then post processed using Nik Silver EFEX Pro software.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8399387321_0ef0d5038f_c.jpg

If anyone did not receive one of my cards, sometimes they are lost in the mail, let me know and I would be happy to forward a replacement since I have a few leftover.

Life is Grand!

seakayaker1
10-24-2014, 17:43

..... it is always better later than never!

Received 24 cards to date: 12 from the USA and 12 from around the world!

24. Rob (rbiemer) Raquette Lake, NY

12 color and 12 black & white.

Rob, thank you for the beautiful card, love the reflections and the finished image!

dct
10-26-2014, 10:27
Good Rob's image is on its way: I will not remain the latest sender!

My image was a unexpected occasion to visit the jewish community's synagogue in Basel, Switzerland, accompanied by a community friend. I wasn't prepared to appreciate photographically the impressive interior architecture details. As usual: the camera you carry is the best you have and I managed making a few shots during the visit with my P&S.

I will never forget the dark blue tone of the dome and this lasting impression was the trigger to choose this image for our fifth postcard project.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/41720/med_U41720I1414344248.SEQ.0.jpg (http://www.pbase.com/dct/image/157987435)

Canon S100 f3.2 1/20sec ISO 1250

ColSebastianMoran
10-26-2014, 12:01
Here's mine… A brisk, cold day on the Boston Common, Feb 2008. My trusty Nikon D-70 with the terrific 18-70 kit lens. BW conversion in Photoshop.

http://2under.net/images/080229-Common-Snowscape-BW-DSC-4520-Scr.jpg

FWIW, I had this printed at Staples at a crazy low price, $40 for 200. While waiting for it to arrive, I got concerned about quality and ordered the same card at Moo.com, more money for 50 cards. The Staples cards were better for this scene; that's what you got in the mail.

Rob, thanks for organizing this! And thanks to all who participated.

Same offer as others have made: If you didn't get my card, PM me. I have extras.

kxl
10-26-2014, 12:11
Here's mine - taken with a Sony A7R. Exposure time was about 40 seconds.
Taken at Mission Bay, San Diego last summer.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/23043/U23043I1414350537.SEQ.0.jpg

varchs
10-26-2014, 13:40
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8527/8472305101_152676b82b_z.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/varchs/8472305101/) Reflection (https://www.flickr.com/photos/varchs/8472305101/) by vp_varchs (https://www.flickr.com/people/varchs/), on Flickr
Reflections on Kastoria's lake
Taken during a walk

Rollei Retro 400s @800
Canon EOS 3
Canon EF 28-105 USM f/3.5-4.5

Each postcard was wet printed at my tiny darkroom...
Thank you all for this global experience.

I am looking forward for some remaining postcards, and definitely for the next project!

robert blu
10-26-2014, 14:06
Excellent photos from everyone, thanks my friends!

My contribution was from a recent visit to NYC with my wife who never was there before. It was not a real photo journey but I had my Zeiss Super Ikonta with me and a few rolls of Ilford films, not enough but B&H was not far from our hotel :)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/3692/U3692I1397672738.SEQ.0.jpg

krötenblender
10-26-2014, 14:45
Here is mine. I hope you did enjoy it, as I enjoyed all of yours very much. Thanks for all the good pictures. Looking forward for the next round!

http://www.mempool.net/galleries/misc/20140424_114351.jpg

ColSebastianMoran
10-27-2014, 06:53
Nice to see these images again. Viewing on the screen is not bad at all.

rbiemer
10-27-2014, 06:57
This was what I hoped you'd all see:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m2Gbzq48kfE/VE5M-gFgDbI/AAAAAAAAGAQ/oEEN8gF_9po/w410-h615-no/water%2Bplant%2BCOLOR.jpg
Had Moo print this twice, could not keep the framing I wanted for some reason and, both versions of this have some ugly edge stuff going on and each had a different but poor color cast. I always make sure to uncheck the "enhance" thing.:bang:
I printed this several time on my own printer--could not easily decide on the color or the desaturated BW version--and it looked pretty good. The cards I got from Moo, this time, were a dissapointment. Sort of looks like the file size was too small. I'd have thought a 6 or 7 mb file would be ok for 4 x 6...in fact it has in the previous rounds where I've used Moo.

Anyway,
Again this round, I have about 2 dozen really good cards!

Rob

randolph45
12-25-2014, 15:39
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3846/14627900750_73d9e1c90b.jpg

Southern Calif,Fallbrook Air Park used for temporary Helicopter base to fight fires around San Diego County.Entire runway covered with 9 or 10 copters.

seakayaker1
12-25-2014, 23:08
Add one more to the list that came in last weeks mail!

..... it is always better later than never!

Received 25 cards to date: 13 from the USA and 12 from around the world!

24. Rob (rbiemer) Raquette Lake, NY
25. Ralph (rover) Manchester, CT

13 color and 12 black & white.

Ralph, thank you for the wonderful post card, always better late than never!

rbiemer
02-26-2015, 03:14
Round 6 now starting! See new thread for details, please.