PDA

View Full Version : Just got the RD shutter serviced...

cmc850
04-27-2014, 12:32
Clean and snappy again - plus covered in Morgan's Pine Green Leatherette. I also picked up the EC, which, while not a rangefinder, is a far better shooter than I thought it would be! Out shooting some TMAX soon with results to post.

You might notice the remnants of the old gold sticker on the top cover - is that likely to come off with some solvent or polish - or?

http://www.cihon.net/UZ4K2150-Edit.jpg

jesse1dog
04-27-2014, 13:09
Somehow doubt you will get that sticker mark off without affecting the finish around it - you might be lucky.
J

Landshark
04-27-2014, 13:30
Goo Gone. a drop on the residue, let it work a few minutes and lens tissue of paper towel.
Remnants? repeat the process.

The solvent needs to work a bit on very old residue and has no effect on metals or in my experience paint.

Austintatious
04-28-2014, 03:37
Yep! Goo Gone works !

Rodchenko
04-28-2014, 05:14
Nice one. My RD is currently at the repairers.

I wouldn't worry about that residue.

cmc850
04-28-2014, 12:52
Quick update on the sticker mark - I was concerned it was permanent as I had tried quite a bit of lighter fluid on a swab and could't remove that ring around the edge. I had no Goo-Gone available, but had great success using automotive chrome polish - I very mild abrasive in a solvent solution (Turtle wax brand, I think) - happy it's all gone now! The original sticker was worn to paper thin and eventually peeled up under sweaty use.

David Hughes
05-03-2014, 00:17
That stuff they rub their feet with called "Surgical Spirit" is good for that sort of cleaning. Seems harmless on my hands too. So is an old fashioned eraser, the ink and pencil version, or else the round, flat typewriter version.

Regards, David

Steve M.
05-03-2014, 01:05
Another vote for Goo Gone. I'm not sure what's in the stuff, but it works. Interesting smell too.