PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Way to Store Negatives

XXXGRAPENUTSXXX
12-02-2005, 20:23
What is the best way to Store and preserve and/or archive your Negatives.

Please respond with your tips and reccomendations.

Thank you kindly!

Frank Granovski
12-02-2005, 20:48
The cut ones, in their sleeves and stored in a metal box. The uncut ones, in their sleeves and rolled (not tightly) and placed in round metal boxes. Then in my closet with my sick Leica CL.

peterc
12-02-2005, 20:51
Right now they're cut in Print File pages sitting on top of my almost never used flatbed scanner. I really have to get some of those storage boxes to put the pages in.

Thanks for reminding me,
Peter

kaiyen
12-02-2005, 21:18
I currently put my negatives in Print File sleeves. However, I'm getting the occaisional scratch right now that sure seems like it's coming from the sleeves. I think that I'm going to be moving to glassine envelopes soon. However, then I have the issue of where to put the envelopes. The sleeves are nice because they hang in a filing box.

allan

back alley
12-02-2005, 21:40
allan, round the corners on the negs with scissors and they glide into the sleeves easily and smoothly.
more work yes...

joe

ClaremontPhoto
12-02-2005, 21:55
Rolls of negs uncut in film cans.

Archived/catalogued in iPhoto.

Matching reference numbers on 'puter files and film cans.

kaiyen
12-02-2005, 22:37
Joe - it has nothing to do with getting them into the sleeves - they go in just fine. It's that I'm getting scratches from putting them in and taking them back out of the sleeves. Clearly there is some kind of dirt or dust or whatever that's getting into the sleeve, and the negatives are rubbing against it. But whatever it would take to make my office dust free isn't a viable option.

allan

back alley
12-03-2005, 04:42
Joe - it has nothing to do with getting them into the sleeves - they go in just fine. It's that I'm getting scratches from putting them in and taking them back out of the sleeves. Clearly there is some kind of dirt or dust or whatever that's getting into the sleeve, and the negatives are rubbing against it. But whatever it would take to make my office dust free isn't a viable option.

allan

o i c...

never had that problem with the print file sleeves.
joe

Frank Granovski
12-03-2005, 04:45
A hundred and forty-two to go, Joe. :)