PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest in an RFF Print Swap (edition 18?)

erikhaugsby
06-10-2013, 02:59
Hi all,

I'm throwing some feelers out to see if there is any interest in re-starting RFF's fabled Print Swap series.

A few years back I took charge of a series of print swaps started by T_om. I admit to negligence in my administrative duties and a few print swaps had ocurred since then (2009 brought Print Swap 17 (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74283) thanks to sojournerphoto, and the most recent one I could find was in 2012, Print Swap Fall 2012 (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123754&highlight=print+swap) thanks to Mauro.

What I'd like to do is see if there is interest in re-starting and continuing these print swaps. So - let me know if you're interested, and how often you think these swaps should happen! If there's sufficient interest (I'm setting an arbitrary mark of 6 people) then I'll open a new thread with sign-ups on 17 June (one week from the posting of this thread).

For your interest, here are guidelines similar to those from Print Swap 15:

Here are a few basic rules and recommendations:

Thematics
1. There are no restrictions on subject matter! Let your creativity run wild.
2. Prints should be around A4 size (8×10 inches or 210×297 mm). Feel free to package them however you would like, e.g. matted or otherwise.
3. In the interests of archival integrity, silver-halide prints (for B&W) or inkjet prints (for color) are recommended but by no means required. We're not the photo police after all ;).

Procedure
4. Sign-ups will be open for seven days. After sign-ups are closed, I'll partner partners by draw names out of a hat. The list will then be posted in the same thread within one day.
5. If there are an odd number of applicants, I will join so that we become an even number of participants.
6. It is up to each participant to contact his/her partner and arrange shipping details.
7. Please aim to have your print printed, packaged, and mailed within a week of the participant list being posted.
8. This is a project of international scope so please join only if you are willing and able to send your print to someone in another country.
9. When you have received your print, please let us know about your experiences. Feel free to post a picture of the print to the thread!
10. If you've participated before, let me know who you've been partnered with so you don't get the same swap partner twice.

To sign up, e-mail (erikhaugsby AT gmail DOT com) or PM me with the following data:

User name
Real name
Mailing Address
Previous swap partners (if applicable)

Sign-ups will be open for 7 days. I'll draw names after closing sign-ups and then notify everybody of their partners.

Remember, this swap is entirely dependent upon user participation; the more we have involved, the more fun and variety everybody has. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.

krötenblender
06-10-2013, 03:12
I would participate two times a year, I think. Maybe more often, depending on experiences. It is a nice idea to share prints with other photographers around the world. This is why I'm participating in the RFF Postcard Project, but I also like the idea of a bigger single print to share with someone.

shadowfox
06-11-2013, 11:36
Judging from the responses, not a whole lot of people print their photos.
Which is a pity.

Digital or darkroom, printing your own picture will force you to be more deliberate in producing it. Therefore you get to experience more of your image, not just on the flat (in every sense of the word) screen.

biomed
06-11-2013, 11:56
The last two print swaps I participated in resulted in rather long distance postal fees and no prints in return. I did receive a very nice print from a local photographer. I will wait to see what the overall response is.

Mike

plummerl
06-11-2013, 12:12
I have always enjoyed the previous print swaps (lost count), with some great prints from all over the globe. Two would be a nice number for me, it's nice to have a project with the print being the goal.

erikhaugsby
06-13-2013, 06:33
Here's a bump for the North American as they start their workday, and the Pacific-Rimmers as they end theirs. :)

brainwood
06-13-2013, 11:34
I have enjoyed the past print swaps and you would love to do another. Judging by responses twice a year would be great but may optimistic ?

I have found the swaps to be very helpful both making me re-examine my own work and learning how others produce their prints .

Anyone else fancy a swap ?

kdemas
06-13-2013, 11:48
I'd be in a few times a year for sure.

Godfrey
06-13-2013, 11:49
Print swaps take time.

I participated in one that we started talking about in late-Feb/early-Mar of this year. Prints were due by April 20, but I know that try as I might I could not deliver my prints until nearly May 5. All the prints were in by end of May. The coordinator has just finished packaging and delivering to the post office. I should receive them in a week or so.

So that's about five-six months for a print swap involving less than ten people around the world. There's a lot of effort involved.

I'll be happy to participate in another, but one must have reasonable expectations on what's involved and how long it takes. I could do two-three a year at most, as a contributor. As a coordinator .. probably one a year at most.

G

zauhar
06-13-2013, 12:07
I would participate twice per year.

So we just had one that ended couple weeks ago - this paired us with one other person. Is that the plan here, or would we distribute to everyone signed up?

EDIT: OK, I see above that we are paired up.

Either way is OK, provided not an enormous number of people. I would agree with Godfrey that ten is a reasonable limit, especially for those of us doing darkroom prints. (Although frankly once you get the protocol down you can crank them out pretty fast!)

Randy

Mauro
06-13-2013, 12:08
I am a supporter of this astonishing project so count me in!

dasuess
06-13-2013, 14:40
Voted NO... Still have not received my print from the last swap.

kdemas
06-13-2013, 14:44
Voted NO... Still have not received my print from the last swap.

That stinks. Tell the organizer so he can contact whoever was supposed to send along your print.

robklurfield
06-13-2013, 17:04
Never done this before. Thinking this would be good for my soul -- a little sharing. I'd do 1, 2, 4 per year.

mrtoml
06-14-2013, 01:02
I'd do it at least twice a year, but I would prefer to see silver halide prints. I already participate in an inkjet print exchange.

erikhaugsby
06-14-2013, 01:38
I'd do it at least twice a year, but I would prefer to see silver halide prints. I already participate in an inkjet print exchange.

Perhaps there could be a subset of participants, a check box in the signup, specifically for those who will send (and want to receive) silver halide prints?

erikhaugsby
06-14-2013, 01:43
Print swaps take time.

I participated in one that we started talking about in late-Feb/early-Mar of this year. Prints were due by April 20, but I know that try as I might I could not deliver my prints until nearly May 5. All the prints were in by end of May. The coordinator has just finished packaging and delivering to the post office. I should receive them in a week or so.

So that's about five-six months for a print swap involving less than ten people around the world. There's a lot of effort involved.

I'll be happy to participate in another, but one must have reasonable expectations on what's involved and how long it takes. I could do two-three a year at most, as a contributor. As a coordinator .. probably one a year at most.

G

These are good points, and coming from experience! It looks like twice-per-year is the most popular schedule choice in the poll, so I don't feel a need for each specific print swap to have arbitrarily short deadlines. I'll think about extending the time between partner assignments and mailing due-dates - four weeks seems to me a reasonable time to make one print to send to one person. Any other suggestions?

mrtoml
06-14-2013, 03:11
Perhaps there could be a subset of participants, a check box in the signup, specifically for those who will send (and want to receive) silver halide prints?

This would be good, but it might not work if there is an awkward number of participants. Perhaps a preference (or preferences) can be stated without any expectation that it will necessarily be fulfilled.

StefanJozef
06-14-2013, 03:27
I'd be interested up to maybe 4 times a year.

erikhaugsby
06-14-2013, 14:43
Okay, it seems like there's enough interest to warrant (re)starting up the series! 2x per year was the most popular choice so I'll start by planning two per year.

For v18, I'll set up the formal registration on Monday, 17 June. Until then consider the pre-registration open for business. :p

Here are the rules for v18:

RFF Print Swap 18

Thematics
1. There are no restrictions on subject matter! Let your creativity run wild.
2. There are no restrictions on print medium. However, in the interests of archival integrity, silver-halide prints (for B&W) or inkjet prints (for color) are recommended but by no means required. If you have a preference for a certain style of print please discuss that with your partner.
3. Prints should be around A4 size (8×10 inches or 210×297 mm). Feel free to package them however you would like, e.g. matted or otherwise.

Procedure
4. Sign-ups will be open for 14 days. After sign-ups are closed, I'll partner partners by draw names out of a hat. The list will then be posted in the same thread within one day, as well as emailed to all participants.
5. If there are an odd number of applicants, I will join so that we become an even number of participants.
6. It is up to each participant to contact his/her partner and arrange shipping details.
7. Please aim to have your print printed, packaged, and mailed within 4 weeks of the participant list being posted.
8. When you have received your print, please let us know about your experiences. Feel free to post a picture of the print to the thread!

To sign up, please email me (erikhaugsby AT gmail DOT com) with the following data:

1. RFF user name
2. Real name
3. Mailing Address
4. Previous swap partners, if applicable

(Please use the phrase "Print Swap 18" in the subject line to make it easy for me to sort the emails. Thanks!)

Remember, this swap is entirely dependent upon user participation; the more we have involved, the more fun and variety everybody has. This is a project of international scope so please join only if you are willing and able to send your print to someone in another country. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.

To recap, here's the schedule:

17 June (Monday): Sign-ups open
1 July (Monday): Sign-ups close
2 July (Tuesday): Partner list posted and emailed
30 July (Tuesday): Preferred mailing deadline

erikhaugsby
06-17-2013, 02:27
Hey all: the official sign-ups are open!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2162177