PDA

View Full Version : m4/3 bw online photo contest

ampguy
06-09-2013, 11:01
I'd like to try hosting a photo project. Here's the basic premise:

1. Use a m4/3 camera with any lens
2. take a photo of anything.
3. submit it to me and don't post it anywhere else before the judging
4. submit your image so it is viewable on normal devices, JPG, 1600 pixels on long side minimum, no maximum.
5. no cropping, but 4:3, or 3:2 (if camera supports it) aspect ratios are OK.
6. no post processing, so you must take it in JPG mode.

No prizes, other than recognition, will be hosted where photographer is anonymous and anyone can see the image clearly, even with a budget high res android tablet and bad eyesight can see the image.

Who's in? What timeframes would you like for submission, and judging time?

kaiwasoyokaze
06-09-2013, 20:49
sounds interesting, i would be in with my ep3 and jupiter 3.

How about a July timeframe?

Keith
06-09-2013, 21:16
Good idea but I don't use either of my current digital cameras in jpeg mode and never used my OMD that way either when I had it.

Why ask for unprocessed jpegs straight out of the camera ... do you have a particular reason for this?

ampguy
06-10-2013, 06:35
The J3 is a fantastic lens for b/w. July sounds good.

sounds interesting, i would be in with my ep3 and jupiter 3.

How about a July timeframe?

ampguy
06-10-2013, 06:39
This is cool. I'm not a big fan of photoshopping and photo manipulation. It's fine if others are though. I've seen some stunning silver-fx images, but it's not for me.

The reason is to share m4/3 bw images, in a decent size, and provide some motivation to try to get some good m43 / bw captures, and see how others rate images.

Good idea but I don't use either of my current digital cameras in jpeg mode and never used my OMD that way either when I had it.

Why ask for unprocessed jpegs straight out of the camera ... do you have a particular reason for this?

Sparrow
06-10-2013, 06:54
... unprocessed eh? ... you can't do that with film you know http://purelight-photography.co.uk/Forum/Smileys/OversizedACinBlack+extras/thinking.gif

kaiwasoyokaze
06-10-2013, 08:22
This is cool. I'm not a big fan of photoshopping and photo manipulation. It's fine if others are though. I've seen some stunning silver-fx images, but it's not for me.

The reason is to share m4/3 bw images, in a decent size, and provide some motivation to try to get some good m43 / bw captures, and see how others rate images.

there's two reasons for unprocessed i think (personally speaking)

1. dynamic b&w setting on the gf1....
2. grainy b&w from the olympus art filters...

interesting contest idea though.

ampguy
06-10-2013, 08:27
A year or two ago I had another epic idea for a great photo project, and that was sending your unprocessed rolls to another member to process.

We can still do that one, I have a lot of unprocessed rolls, and it would be fun to take someones roll to Walgreens, and see what comes out!

... unprocessed eh? ... you can't do that with film you know http://purelight-photography.co.uk/Forum/Smileys/OversizedACinBlack+extras/thinking.gif

ampguy
06-10-2013, 08:40
using any filters in your m4/3 is fine if you like. But the real reason for unprocessed is to challenge m43 users in bw to take a photo they are proud of as is out of the camera, without manipulating externally.

I'm aware that the cameras are doing some processing and manipulation, and would like to see what folks can come up with using their own capture, and camera's tools, and not additional tools outside the camera.

there's two reasons for unprocessed i think (personally speaking)

1. dynamic b&w setting on the gf1....
2. grainy b&w from the olympus art filters...

interesting contest idea though.

rhl-oregon
06-10-2013, 10:29
Sounds reasonable (including a July timeframe as suggested). I tend to shoot RAW and do like to PP in LR4, but could reset my habits for an informal contest--especially since I snagged a GX1 and it is getting a good deal of carry-around currently.

I do wonder, though, :rolleyes: whether the restrictions might limit the critical mass of participants. There may be others who decided to pass on the opportunity rather than question its rationale, as Keith reasonably does.

ampguy
06-10-2013, 11:10
so we have about 3 or so, if we get 5+, that's enough for me.

If your camera is capable, you can shoot JPG+RAW, and submit the JPG, and work on the RAW later.

There are plenty of other contests that allow cropping and manipulation. This one is for the serious folks confident that they can take good photos without Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. ;)

Sounds reasonable (including a July timeframe as suggested). I tend to shoot RAW and do like to PP in LR4, but could reset my habits for an informal contest--especially since I snagged a GX1 and it is getting a good deal of carry-around currently.

I do wonder, though, :rolleyes: whether the restrictions might limit the critical mass of participants. There may be others who decided to pass on the opportunity rather than question its rationale, as Keith reasonably does.

Harry Caul
06-10-2013, 11:26
So is the timeframe between now and July? Or during July? Regardless, I'm in. 90% of the time I use JPGs out of the camera and I always shoot B&W + RAW. It sounds like this contest was made for me :)

ampguy
06-10-2013, 11:49
Any photo taken in b/w JPG mode with an m43 taken from now to say July 1 (will be extended slightly if any needs it), will be good to submit.

So anyone who wants to participate has at least 3 weeks to try to get a good capture.

Thanks.

So is the timeframe between now and July? Or during July? Regardless, I'm in. 90% of the time I use JPGs out of the camera and I always shoot B&W + RAW. It sounds like this contest was made for me :)

DNG
06-10-2013, 11:56
I'm in, I'll use my E-M5 in BW JPG, it does quite well in camera.
For my lens, my Canon FL 50mm f/1.4... a great lens for OOC BW's

ampguy
06-10-2013, 12:50
I will be using an ancient EPL1 with either a Hexanon 57/1.4 or 40/1.8.

I'm in, I'll use my E-M5 in BW JPG, it does quite well in camera.
For my lens, my Canon FL 50mm f/1.4... a great lens for OOC BW's

shadowfox
06-10-2013, 19:53
Does turning it into a monochrome count as "processed" ?

ampguy
06-10-2013, 20:00
set your camera to b/w monochrome jpgs for this project.

Does turning it into a monochrome count as "processed" ?

kknox
06-10-2013, 21:52
Count me in.

ampguy
06-10-2013, 22:25
OK, so here are my thoughts on the process. Please feel free to suggest alternatives:

I will accept the images by email in early July, as an email attachment to an address that will be provided, the file size can be up to 25MB.

I will use exiftool to make a copy of your image, with no modifications except to remove all exif data, then upload at the highest resolution to a folder on a public flickr page. Comments will be disabled.

The voting period will begin and go for a week or two (what's the preference here for duration?).

Voting can take place here by anyone (please don't vote for your own), for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

When the voting period is over, I will post the results of the votes, and put the images back with the exif data.

It will be up to the image owner if they want to mention which photo was theirs.

If the total # of participants is < 10, do we want to allow 2 images per person?

How long of a judging period would you like?

Is July 1 too soon? If so, what about July 7 or 14?

Thanks for your input.

Gabriel M.A.
06-11-2013, 07:58
set your camera to b/w monochrome jpgs for this project.

There are various settings for B&W JPEG processing in some of my cameras...making a conscious decision about what curve levels and B&W style is post-processing, is it not? What if I decide one combination is better later, and then switch again later?

ampguy
06-11-2013, 08:27
Yes, you are correct. If your camera has, and even my EPL1 has a couple of different monochrome settings, then I'm hoping that for the purpose of this project / contest, is that you'll pick one mode, and submit an image from that mode.

I'm not aware of all of the different monochrome modes of other cameras, but in the EPL1, the art filters, and high contrast monochrome are novel and limiting, so I'm just using the default monochrome setting. I'm aware there are some additional advanced settings for softness and sharpening, etc., but I planning on just having mine at the defaults.

It's about the capture, can you get a capture out of the camera in it's basic monochrome settings worth sharing? Later you might want to crop, apply a filter, use the raw color data and make it a color image, etc., so feel free to use jpg + raw and submit the monochrome jpg.

There are various settings for B&W JPEG processing in some of my cameras...making a conscious decision about what curve levels and B&W style is post-processing, is it not? What if I decide one combination is better later, and then switch again later?

kuzano
06-11-2013, 08:33
Works for me... When the E-PL1 came out with the weaker AA filter, I finally quit shooting RAW. I was seeing the sharpness I had been striving for.

Haven't produced a RAW image for four years at least, and happy to be away from that process.

I'm in. 1600 long side, BW, Jpeg from the camera. No problem.

ampguy
06-11-2013, 08:57
The EPL-1, like almost all stuff from Olympus had a lot of interesting features. One is the huge jpg file sizes, for 10MP, way larger than say the M8's JPGs, and even some DSLRs with same # of MP.

Works for me... When the E-PL1 came out with the weaker AA filter, I finally quit shooting RAW. I was seeing the sharpness I had been striving for.

Haven't produced a RAW image for four years at least, and happy to be away from that process.

I'm in. 1600 long side, BW, Jpeg from the camera. No problem.

rhl-oregon
06-11-2013, 08:57
As soon as 7/1 is fine for me; no objections to postponing in the interest of attracting others. Thanks for clarifications btw.

MickH
06-11-2013, 09:23
I wouldn't mind joining in if you'll take me. I've never used the in-camera B&W function on my camera. This seems like a good opportunity to play around a bit.

DNG
06-11-2013, 11:03
OK, about OOC JPGs....
many cameras only have +2 or +3 sharpening, and contrast IE: still soft w/o post sharpening...
is just real basic Contrast and Sharpening OK?
Old adapted lenses typically are low contrast at most f/stops with digital anyway

kaiwasoyokaze
06-12-2013, 05:52
OK, about OOC JPGs....
many cameras only have +2 or +3 sharpening, and contrast IE: still soft w/o post sharpening...
is just real basic Contrast and Sharpening OK?
Old adapted lenses typically are low contrast at most f/stops with digital anyway

i think ampguy wants it to be as hands off as possible.

I have my photo ready (and I so want to pp it!) but i'll send it untouched to your email ampguy (unfortunately)

ampguy
06-12-2013, 08:11
DNG and Kaiwasoyokaze: I'm OK with in-camera adjustments. After the voting process, you may want to let folks know what in-camera settings you used. I know that I would be interested in that info.

We all agree that for JPGs, we are having the camera "process" based on the design teams tweaks and defaults, and the in-camera settings give us a bit of tweakability. So if you have some favorite in-camera settings, for JPG mode, go ahead and use them.

email attach them to my username here at gmail.com with subject: m43 bw project.

On July 1, we'll see how many submissions we have, and decide to start voting, or wait if anyone wants a bit more time. Also, if you take a better photo between now and then, just send your best one, and let me know to delete your earlier one.

ampguy
06-12-2013, 08:13
after the voting period, I'd like to know (or see) what and how you wanted to post process your image.

My goal, and I don't think I will achieve it to all/most of the the viewers, is to take something that just doesn't need any post processing.

Everyone's a critic... ;)

i think ampguy wants it to be as hands off as possible.

I have my photo ready (and I so want to pp it!) but i'll send it untouched to your email ampguy (unfortunately)

kdemas
06-12-2013, 13:24
Can we rotate the image or would you like to do that Ted?

DNG
06-12-2013, 13:29
ampguy, I so not used to displaying un-sharpened images.....
But, I understand your thinking....
Get the best you can with what the camera can do "in-camera"..

I have mine also....

ampguy
06-12-2013, 14:09
Depending on the device others view your online image, it might be sharper than what you are used to seeing it at, or printing at.

ampguy, I so not used to displaying un-sharpened images.....
But, I understand your thinking....
Get the best you can with what the camera can do "in-camera"..

I have mine also....

ampguy
06-12-2013, 14:25
also, if someone really wants to, you can use any aspect ratio your camera supports e.g. 16:9, square, [note that you are deviating from nature's optimal ratio...] but please no cropping, and if you think your software to resize to 1600px may be doing anything else, please just send the JPG out of camera unmanipulated by any external computing sources.

For this project, the only reason to downsize to 1600px, the minimum, would be if you had upload restrictions, in which case, you may want to mail me an sd card or other media, and I'll mail it back.

kdemas
06-12-2013, 14:32
Ted,

My question was about an image shot in portrait orientation which appears in landscape when opening ooc jpgs. Should we rotate them for you or would you like to do it to make sure there's no manipulation?

also, if someone really wants to, you can use any aspect ratio your camera supports e.g. 16:9, square, [note that you are deviating from nature's optimal ratio...] but please no cropping, and if you think your software to resize to 1600px may be doing anything else, please just send the JPG out of camera unmanipulated by any external computing sources.

For this project, the only reason to downsize to 1600px, the minimum, would be if you had upload restrictions, in which case, you may want to mail me an sd card or other media, and I'll mail it back.

Originally Posted by kdemas

ampguy
06-12-2013, 14:38
You may rotate it. I will present all images in the orientation submitted (minus exif metadata, during voting period), so please make sure orientation is correct. Thanks.

If anyone is unsure if their software is making any other changes than rotating, please send the OOC image to me, and let me know what should be on top, bottom, left, right.

Ted,

My question was about an image shot in portrait orientation which appears in landscape when opening ooc jpgs. Should we rotate them for you or would you like to do it to make sure there's no manipulation?

kdemas
06-12-2013, 14:42
Excellent, thanks!

ampguy
06-12-2013, 19:42
Here is the proposed score voting method we will use when we begin displaying the images on 7/1:

I will post the link to all of the images here, the images will be randomized, exif data removed, and have random numbers from 1-x say 1 to 7 if there are 7 images.

Viewers here can post their scores from 0 to 5 like this:

1 - 4
2 - 1
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 3
6 - 2
7 - 5

The averages will be tallied. It is possible for a viewer to give all 1s or all 5s, or multiple 5s and 4s as above, and that's OK. RFFers will post their results here, so I don't expect anyone to vote randomly or irresponsibly.

After the voting period is up. The tallies will be posted. Is this good with everyone? There could be ties, but I'm fine with that.

kaiwasoyokaze
06-12-2013, 21:19
alright ampguy, i sent an email your way with two submissions. that would be your username @ gmail.com then?

ampguy
06-12-2013, 22:09
OK, I did receive them. Thanks. If we decide to go with only one submission, could you let me know which one is your first preference?

kaiwasoyokaze
06-12-2013, 23:23
OK, I did receive them. Thanks. If we decide to go with only one submission, could you let me know which one is your first preference?

the one with living things with be my first preference. did you also want a short blurb accompanying the photo? or let the picture speak for itself?

ampguy
06-13-2013, 06:31
just the photo, until after the voting, then if you choose, you can provide details, location, context. Thanks.

the one with living things with be my first preference. did you also want a short blurb accompanying the photo? or let the picture speak for itself?

ampguy
06-13-2013, 13:46
I've viewed some of the early submissions on a private flickr acct. and I think voters will be very pleased with the amount of detail visible in these images. Have viewed in mobile and standard new flickr site, on ipod, kindle fire, nexus 7, pc's macbook air and chromebooks at 1440x900, 1376 x 768, 1280x1024.

I think with original file size mode, and better displays, we are nearing the ability to see print quality on displays, yet the bandwidth friendly interface of flickr will by default send a low res image, so no one will automatically get a multi-MB download, if they are say on a limited or paid service, and may be fine with the small image to review.

Michael Da Re
06-13-2013, 14:41
I just picked up a Pen Mini as an easy carry camera so I'm in if it's not too late. I'll use my Zuiko 50mm on it.

ampguy
06-13-2013, 15:11
plenty of time, the deadline is still ~July 1.

I just picked up a Pen Mini as an easy carry camera so I'm in if it's not too late. I'll use my Zuiko 50mm on it.

ampguy
06-15-2013, 10:28
how is everyone with moving the project up for version 1, while keeping v2 on for 7/1?

Since only a handful of us are participating so far, if you're good with doing a mini v1 project ready to vote in a day or two, let me know. Feel free to submit 2 or 3 images.

Harry Caul
06-15-2013, 10:59
I vote to stick with the original plan. I'm guessing most people (myself included) haven't submitted yet because we know we still have time left to make great images. No need to hurry things along...

My $0.02.

ampguy
06-16-2013, 11:42
Good feedback. So is everyone else planning to participate, OK with a couple more weeks, or is there an alpha team ready to to try an early pre v1 quick voting cycle?

I vote to stick with the original plan. I'm guessing most people (myself included) haven't submitted yet because we know we still have time left to make great images. No need to hurry things along...

My $0.02.

ampguy
06-18-2013, 12:15
more great images are coming in. Better sooner than later. Weather predictions indicate harsh lighting and big UV storms between now and July 1. Better to take your images now ;)

ampguy
06-25-2013, 15:02
less than a week left. feel free to submit 2 images, but identify which one is your preferred image, if we need to reduce to a single image per person.

ampguy
06-29-2013, 05:48
Couple of days left to submit your m43 bw OOC images. Go ahead and submit 2 if you like.

ampguy
06-29-2013, 20:21
OK, getting more submissions, make sure they are large, 1600 MIN on long side, preferably just Out of Camera JPG.

Thanks, we'll start voting July 2.

ampguy
07-01-2013, 23:51
OK, we have 10 images. We're ready to start voting (which is open to ALL) which will end in a week (7/9).

The link to the images is on flickr, here: http://flickr.com/gp/kittyslate/hx1S9w/

Please post your results in this thread, rating each image from 1 to 5. If any of the images are yours, just rate them a 3. The photographers can comment on their images, and identify which ones are theirs, the titles, and context, gear info., etc. after the voting period (1 week) is over.

So results for voting posts should be like this:

1: x
2: x
3: x
4: x
5: x
6: x
7: x
8: x
9: x
10: x

where x is 1 to 5.

Vote as many 1s or 5s as you like, and on any criteria that you, the voter prefers. Keep in mind that these were all taken in bw mode on m43 cameras, and have no post processing. The images are large, feel free to view them in the large and original modes to see high levels of detail in each of the images. Get used to the new flickr interface. If you don't like the ken burns slideshow effect, you can manually step through them. View them large!

Thanks for submitting, and thanks for voting!

ampguy
07-02-2013, 10:21
OK, I'll go first:

1: 3
2: 3
3: 4
4: 4
5: 3
6: 4
7: 3
8: 4
9: 3
10: 2

Harry Caul
07-02-2013, 10:30
3: 3
4: 3
5: 3
7: 2
8: 4
9: 2

Michael Da Re
07-02-2013, 12:15
1: 4
3: 2
5: 4
8: 3

seakayaker1
07-02-2013, 13:11
1: 4
2: 5
3: 3
4: 2
5: 5
6: 3
7: 4
8: 2

kdemas
07-02-2013, 13:32
Here are mine. Good luck to all that participated!

2: 4
5: 5
8: 3

kknox
07-02-2013, 19:55
1:3
2:3
3:3
4:2
5:3
6:3
7:4
8:3
9:2
10:2

Michael Da Re
07-03-2013, 17:34
I'm beginning to think nobody really cares. I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

ampguy
07-04-2013, 06:11
Michael, I don't understand? We have several submissions, several voters so far, and several days more to go? Can you explain further?

If you're referring to the # of viewers, to the # of voters, I think it's OK. It's one thing to click and view something, another to get a pen or pencil out and actually think about 10 images. I think our ratio is OK. We still have several days to go for some more voters.

I'm beginning to think nobody really cares. I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

pjmacd
07-04-2013, 07:30
Here are my ratings. I found this thread too late to participate as a photographer.

5: 2
8: 5

ampguy
07-04-2013, 08:09
If there's interest, I'd be pleased to run this again in a few months or so. But anyone can run projects here. I'd participate in one like this again.

There will probably be some good feedback after the voting is over on 7/9 and folks discuss their images, rules, presentation, etc.

Here are my ratings. I found this thread too late to participate as a photographer.

5: 2
8: 5

Michael Da Re
07-04-2013, 12:05
Michael, I don't understand? We have several submissions, several voters so far, and several days more to go? Can you explain further?

If you're referring to the # of viewers, to the # of voters, I think it's OK. It's one thing to click and view something, another to get a pen or pencil out and actually think about 10 images. I think our ratio is OK. We still have several days to go for some more voters.

I've noticed that if a thread gets pushed far enough to the back people tend to forget about it. Just my way of keeping it in the present. :D

ampguy
07-04-2013, 13:29
we could also insert a lively discussion topic in here that would keep this on or near page 1.

Like what do you think of that new digital stuff vs film?? :p

I've noticed that if a thread gets pushed far enough to the back people tend to forget about it. Just my way of keeping it in the present. :D

kuzano
07-04-2013, 17:31
The EPL-1, like almost all stuff from Olympus had a lot of interesting features. One is the huge jpg file sizes, for 10MP, way larger than say the M8's JPGs, and even some DSLRs with same # of MP.

That would be an appropriate attrubute of the increases sharpness from the weaker AA filter.

I was doing some testing on focus effect on file size. It turned out that two imqges taken with all the same settings for digital with one in focus and one out of focus (intentioanally) would result in the file that was in focus, would always be sharper than the same image capture out of focus... with the result that the sharply focused file always resulting in more bytes. From then on, when I had two images the same, i chose the larger byte size as the sharper in focus.

That was before the intro and advent of the E-PL1 with the weaker AA filter, thereby proving the reason for the E-PL1 images being higher Mb size. Weaker AA filter, sharper image, better focus overall, result ..... larger file byte size.

Thanks for pulling that together for me.

ampguy
07-06-2013, 09:16
I'll have to do some tests like you did.

That would be an appropriate attrubute of the increases sharpness from the weaker AA filter.

I was doing some testing on focus effect on file size. It turned out that two imqges taken with all the same settings for digital with one in focus and one out of focus (intentioanally) would result in the file that was in focus, would always be sharper than the same image capture out of focus... with the result that the sharply focused file always resulting in more bytes. From then on, when I had two images the same, i chose the larger byte size as the sharper in focus.

That was before the intro and advent of the E-PL1 with the weaker AA filter, thereby proving the reason for the E-PL1 images being higher Mb size. Weaker AA filter, sharper image, better focus overall, result ..... larger file byte size.

Thanks for pulling that together for me.

kknox
07-06-2013, 17:24
No one wants to vote?

ampguy
07-07-2013, 09:52
and we've got a couple more days.

No one wants to vote?

ampguy
07-08-2013, 12:15
Today is the last day for voting. If you have the time and interest, please review the 10 photos here, and submit your votes here. Thanks!

http://flickr.com/gp/kittyslate/hx1S9w/

ampguy
07-08-2013, 19:09
A few more voters could break a tie or two, however, here is another novel idea to add to the voting:

Since we're on the honor system here, and the photographers are anonymous, unless they want to identify their images after the results are provided tomorrow, anyone can vote again.

By voting again, I don't mean looking back at your first set of results and copying/pasting, but looking at the images, and voting again *without* looking back at your initial voting info. I would be very surprised if anyone voted exactly the same.

In any case, I will post the results sometime tomorrow, and will provide them with unique voters, and if applicable with duplicate vote data.

ampguy
07-08-2013, 19:19
Here are my 2nd vote results. Last time I looked at them in original size, with the incredible detail, and now I will look at them on a different device, and a fit to screen size:

1. 3
2. 4
3. 4
4. 3
5. 3
6. 3
7. 3
8. 4
9. 3
10. 3

ampguy
07-09-2013, 18:12
OK, here are the results! All of the scores were added up and averaged (I did not include my '2nd votes').

The winning image is #6

2nd place is a tie with images #2 and #5

3rd place is #8

Congratulations to all who submitted images, and thanks to everyone who voted.

I will leave the images up for another week or so.

I took the images of the old cars in the parade, which came in near the end of the voting range. The images were taken from the sidewalk area, well past sundown, with an EPL1 and Hexanon 57/1.4 at ISO 3200.

kknox
07-09-2013, 18:35
I shot image #6. I used my G5, with a Leica DG Summilux 25 1.4 lens. The camera was set at Monochrome 400asa, at F3.2 1/500.

Thanks it was fun

seakayaker1
07-09-2013, 20:46
Thanks for running the contest and to all the folks who submitted a photograph. If I saw the thread in time I would have added a photograph but did enjoy looking at the photographs that were submitted and voted.

Michael Da Re
07-09-2013, 22:23
#8 was mine. I used a Pen Mini w/Zuiko 35mm 2.8 on a tripod. Iso 200 f11 at 1/25 sec shutter speed. I enjoyed participating. Hopefully we do it again, but maybe this time we could make it more interesting by having everyone shoot a certain theme.

kaiwasoyokaze
07-10-2013, 03:44
thanks all for participating and for voting. i tried voting many times, but it's definitely harder than participating. I tried voting and had my scores posted in the reply box many times but couldn't make up my mind to press the submit button!

ampguy
07-10-2013, 19:39
It is also hard for me to vote on images, and even to select the best of my own. I will often look at captures at another time, and wonder why I didn't select or print some, instead of others.

thanks all for participating and for voting. i tried voting many times, but it's definitely harder than participating. I tried voting and had my scores posted in the reply box many times but couldn't make up my mind to press the submit button!

Harry Caul
07-11-2013, 06:57
Thanks ampguy for organizing this!

Looks like I tied with myself for second :)

#2: Fine Art Upskirt
My first thought when seeing this candid party pic was, "damn, I wish my wife hadn't been holding the fork!" and I initially ruled it out. However, I found myself coming back to it over and over as the fork grew on me. I ended up like the unsettling, borderline sinister element it adds.

http://southbymidwest.smugmug.com/Competitions/m43-entries/i-VBpXS5z/0/L/P6285038-L.jpg

#5: Sweet Dreams
A shot of my printmaker friend sleeping in his art studio late at night. He is resting his head on a board he dries his screens on and he is flanked by self portrait nude paintings from the person he shares the space with.

http://southbymidwest.smugmug.com/Competitions/m43-entries/i-5pSbLPL/0/L/P6184918-L.jpg

In case anyone cares, here were the other five I was picking from for the month. I wasn't sure if the kid photos would be appreciated here on RFF so I had ruled those out. However looking back, I really love that last one... a nice "decisive moment shot" with the faces of concern on the adults juxtaposed with my daughters excitement! Then again, I also love the strong "X" lines of the POV pool jump as well. Or the serene pool scene about to be upended with a flip. Gah, I'm terrible with selection and editing of my own work! :)

http://southbymidwest.smugmug.com/Competitions/m43-entries/i-dwMB9BN/0/L/P6295082-L.jpg http://southbymidwest.smugmug.com/Competitions/m43-entries/i-ftf7bCr/0/L/P6154814-L.jpg http://southbymidwest.smugmug.com/Competitions/m43-entries/i-WVcc9tH/0/L/P6154844-L.jpg http://southbymidwest.smugmug.com/Competitions/m43-entries/i-frMSF8J/0/M/P6154849-M.jpg http://southbymidwest.smugmug.com/Competitions/m43-entries/i-pvSZ3N3/0/M/P6154855-M.jpg

ampguy
07-11-2013, 20:50
Thanks for participating Harry, and Congratulations on places #2 AND #3!

The first image reminds me of a pac man monster! 2nd image looks like Mario (or Luigi?)!

The last few images that you didn't submit, definitely are decisive moments!