PDA

View Full Version : Decisive Challenge IV Summer 2013: June 29th & 30th. Join in!

kdemas
06-03-2013, 12:59
Worldwide “Decisive Challenge” IV Summer 2013 June 29th & 30th

As summer makes it’s way across the Norther Hemisphere it’s time to dust off the street shooting gear and go out to try and capture the “Decisive Moment” once again. Join with fellow photographers from around the world to create a day where street shooting and capturing life around you reigns supreme. Whether you’re in a small town or a major metropolis, do your best and share your skill and “eye” with fellow photographers.

Use any camera you like. Shoot as much, or as little as you like on June 29th & 30th. This fun challenge is about the end result, how you get there is your business.

We are going to set up a gathering of our local RFF group for that day as a bit of a nexus for getting lots of people involved in a fun way. I’d love to see regional clubs around the world do the same.

If you're planning in participating please let us know by exclaiming "I'm In!" here in the thread. Having a nice big turnout might help us with sponsors so we can have some goodies for the top vote getters!

When: Saturday and Sunday, June 29th and 30th.

Where: EVERYWHERE. The challenge itself is a worldwide challenge, open to anyone who wants to capture a “decisive moment” on the 29th & 30th. Let's see street work from around the world on one day, this day.

What’s this all about?
On June 29th & 30th you will head out into your local city, village or town and try to make HCB or Garry Winogrand proud. One thing to remember, this is about YOUR style of shooting street, not an attempt to copy HCB or anyone else. Let your talent shine.

What are the rules? Not many.

All photos MUST BE TAKEN ON June 29th or 30th.
This is not a limited “one lens, one camera” challenge, instead you can use whatever tool best works for you and take as many pictures as you like. Digital, Analogue, Rangefinder, SLR, Holga, iPhone...whatever you like. HCB used the tools that were right for him, and if he was alive today he would do the same I am sure. It’s about the image and capturing the moment, use whatever allows you to do that.
You have ALL DAY to shoot so you can find the light and conditions that are right for you. It’s the honor system, so an image taken one minute too early or late should not be submitted.
Please submit all photos in Black and White. Well, that’s a nod to HCB and his preferred medium.
Each participant can enter one, and only one, photo. If we do not get enough participation we may expand this to two photos but let’s count on only one.
For fair and unbiased judging please do not include anything that tips off who took the shot. No watermarking or copyrights on photos, no naming that gives away who the photographer is.
IMPORTANT- Pictures should not be shared anywhere before the contest. Anonymity is important for a nice fair vote later on. Any images that have been found anywhere on the web prior to results being posted will be disqualified.

How do we submit our entries?

You will have until midnight on July 14th to submit your entries via the entry form located at DecisiveChallenge.com (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/enter-decisive-challenge.html)
Submissions should be no more than 300k and measure no longer than 1000 pixels wide.

Key Dates.

Shooting Period: June 29th & 30th
Submission Deadline: July 14th
Voting Begins: July 16th
Voting Closes: July 28th at Midnight PDT
Winners Announced: July 29th
All submissions will be posted for voting in random order and with no names attached to help ensure fairness.

Example ballot where photo “x” is your favorite, “F” is your second choice and “A” is your 3rd favorite. You must make 3 selections or the votes will not be counted.:
X-1
F-2
A-3

Prizes...
Well beyond the obvious honor and thrill of winning this event we are working to provide some nice prizes for the top three vote getters. Our super cool RFF members have generously donated the following prizes:

From Clint Troy:
- Nikon F401-x Body in almost Like-New Condition (or Mint +++ if you prefer) (5-10 rolls, if ever). I must say that I like this camera quite a bit. It's zippy, has an excellent and very clear viewfinder.

- 4 Mini soft releases (2 Black and 2 Red)

- One Tom Abrahamsson "8" Soft release!

From Roland (Ferider)
- Canon 50/1.8 LTM lens

From Joe (Back Alley)
- Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i Bag

From Keith (KXL)
- A Brick (10 rolls) of B&W film (for the winning B&W film shooter).
- A Nikon SB-23 AF TTL flash

From Kent (Me, kdemas)
- A $39 100' roll of Kentmere 100 or 400 or the same value of your favorite film.

From Kirk (thompsonks)
- Used (and really nice) Olympus EP-1 camera with 17/2.8 and OVF. Donated in last challenge by FrozenInTime.

From Bob (bob338)
- 10 pack of hp5 in 120 (expired)
- 5 pack of tri-x 320(yes, really) in 320(obviously expired.)

From Erik (erikhaugsby)
- 2 Abrahamsson Soft Releases for the Leica M240 (only for that model)

From Jim (JCrutcher)
- $100 Gift card from B&H photo.

Note: For international winners there my be a charge for shipping (we can only ask so much of the donating parties). Shipping can be discussed between the winner and provider.

Most Importantly... Have Fun!
This event is designed to give shooters of all types, with all different equipment, the chance to participate in a fun challenging competition. Shoot what you want, at the time of day you want, in the light you want. Impress us all and enjoy!

**Note- This challenge is in no way connected to or in association with the Cartier-Bresson family, Foundation or Magnum Photo. This is merely a grass-roots contest in honor of a famous and well-respected photographer and man.

ferider
06-03-2013, 13:04
Who might have picked that super date ? :) I'm in, Kent.

And I'll donate a Canon 50/1.8 LTM to the price pot.

Cheers,

Roland.

johannielscom
06-03-2013, 13:06
Pretty cool. Guess I can't say no to a challenge like that...

I'm in!

:D

kdemas
06-03-2013, 13:16
Who might have picked that super date ? :) I'm in, Kent.

And I'll donate a Canon 50/1.8 LTM to the price pot.

Cheers,

Roland.

Excellent Roland, so generous as always! Thank you on behalf of everyone who will be taking part.

back alley
06-03-2013, 13:24
i am in!

and as stated previously, i have a brand new think tank mirrorless mover 30i, to add to the prize pool!

kdemas
06-03-2013, 13:36
i am in!

and as stated previously, i have a brand new think tank mirrorless mover 30i, to add to the prize pool!

You're the man Joe, thanks!

zauhar
06-03-2013, 13:55
I am in again - I didn't win a prize last time, but did collect one image I was very happy with, not bad for a weekend!

Randy

pdexposures
06-03-2013, 14:01
I'm in! Reposted here as well to help spread the word:

http://www.pdexposures.tv/worldwide-decisive-challenge-iv-summer-2013/

kdemas
06-03-2013, 14:01
I am in again - I didn't win a prize last time, but did collect one image I was very happy with, not bad for a weekend!

Randy

And I just got that image on a postcard last week as a matter of fact!

Clint Troy
06-03-2013, 14:28
I'll come up with my list of prizes asap

kdemas
06-03-2013, 14:31
I'll come up with my list of prizes asap

Thanks Clint!

@pdexposures - Thanks for spreading the word!

daveleo
06-03-2013, 15:18
This really is not my type of photography, but I would like to play, but . . .

how are the results posted? Is everyone in the world going to know that I came in last ??

back alley
06-03-2013, 15:21

how are the results posted? Is everyone in the world going to know that I came in last ??

well, now that you've told them...

FrankS
06-03-2013, 15:24
I hope to be able to participate. Thanks.

anjoca76
06-03-2013, 15:29
Sounds like fun. Count me in!

furbs
06-03-2013, 15:32
I'm in, and will probably meet up with you Bay Area folks for a few that day as well :D

back alley
06-03-2013, 15:33
any albertans want to get together for this shoot?

hahahaha!

kdemas
06-03-2013, 15:39

Hi Dave,

Nope, only the top 5 are announced. Anonymity is bliss in this case :)

Kent

PS- Here's an example (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/2013/01/the-winners-of-decisive-challenge.html) of how it's announced. There will be a thread here too.

paulfish4570
06-03-2013, 15:42
and i am in, yo!

daveleo
06-03-2013, 16:01
okay, sign me up !

gb hill
06-03-2013, 17:12
I hope to be able to participate. Thanks.

Me too.....:)

rhl-oregon
06-03-2013, 17:17
Looking forward to this one. The winter 2012 DC forced some good street work out of me.

Jake06
06-03-2013, 17:40
I'm in again, really enjoyed it last time!

Jamie Pillers
06-03-2013, 18:09
Kent, although I'm disappointed to see the cat/flower limitation has been dropped from the rules, I'm in. Thanks for organizing the event.

Eric T
06-03-2013, 18:15
I'm out. I only shoot in color. Life is in color.

Alowisney
06-04-2013, 04:23
I'm in! My wife may actually want to join in as well.

slidesandthecity
06-04-2013, 07:30
I'm in.

(Ten chars)

Rodchenko
06-04-2013, 07:38
I'd like to be in! Can't promise I will either get the chance to shoot anything, or to turn it round for submission in time, even if I do, since a baby is a randomising factor, but I will give it a go. If I don't make it, I guess I shan't be missed.

kdemas
06-04-2013, 14:29
I'd like to be in! Can't promise I will either get the chance to shoot anything, or to turn it round for submission in time, even if I do, since a baby is a randomising factor, but I will give it a go. If I don't make it, I guess I shan't be missed.

Hope you can take part. Maybe shoot some C41 for easy processing to save time. Good luck with the baby!

jcrutcher
06-04-2013, 15:17
I'm In also.

SausalitoDog
06-05-2013, 08:35
Love this.

I'm IN !!

Tom

SausalitoDog
06-05-2013, 08:38
I'm IN....

Hope this isn't a double post, but I didn't see the last "I'm in" in the thread :-)

Thanks for organizing this again !!!!

Clint Troy
06-05-2013, 11:08
Ok, the Prize I am giving to the winner is:

- Nikon F401-x Body in almost Like-New Condition (or Mint +++ if you prefer) (5-10 rolls, if ever). I must say that I like this camera quite a bit. It's zippy, has an excellent and very clear viewfinder.

I will see what I can add to this list in the next few days...

kdemas
06-05-2013, 11:27
Ok, the Prize I am giving to the winner is:

I will see what I can add to this list in the next few days...

Fantastic Clint, thanks!!

micromontenegro
06-05-2013, 12:08
Hmm, those days were scheduled as picture-taking days anyway. So I guess I am in.

andrewmore
06-05-2013, 12:51
Count me in too please! I enjoyed entering the last Challenge.

Regards

Andrew More

erikhaugsby
06-05-2013, 12:59
Hmm, those days were scheduled as picture-taking days anyway. So I guess I am in.

:D :D Me too. I'm all-in for this one.

drew.saunders
06-05-2013, 13:32
I'll give it a shot...or 36.

Sorry, really bad joke, I know.

seakayaker1
06-05-2013, 13:32
Kent, thanks for organizing once again.

I will mark the dates down and get out on the streets!

. . . . . now which camera to use?

kdemas
06-06-2013, 07:43
Kent, thanks for organizing once again.

I will mark the dates down and get out on the streets!

. . . . . now which camera to use?

My pleasure! The camera picking is always part of the fun.

kdemas
06-07-2013, 14:28
Film, Digital or Both?

What might you use in the Challenge. I'm probably leaning towards Digital at the moment.

kxl
06-07-2013, 14:51
I'm in - will actually be in San Francisco that weekend (first trip to SF in many, many years) so the timing is perfect.

kdemas
06-07-2013, 14:54
I'm in - will actually be in San Francisco that weekend (first trip to SF in many, many years) so the timing is perfect.

You'll have to let us local RFFers treat you to a beer!

agi
06-07-2013, 15:22
I'm in! Lol if you just post "I'm in!" RFF won't let you.

kxl
06-07-2013, 16:15
You'll have to let us local RFFers treat you to a beer!

I may just take you up on that... :)

I'd also like to donate some prizes (I'll take care of shipping within the US, and we can work out the shipping cost if winner is outside the US):

A Brick (10 rolls) of B&W film (for the winning B&W film shooter).
A Nikon SB-23 AF TTL flash
1 or more filters (mostly 77mm size)

Probably a few others that I can donate to the cause... I'll keep looking.

kdemas
06-07-2013, 16:21
That's fantastic, thanks! I think the film and the flash will be plenty!

I may just take you up on that... :)

I'd also like to donate some prizes (I'll take care of shipping within the US, and we can work out the shipping cost if winner is outside the US):

A Brick (10 rolls) of B&W film (for the winning B&W film shooter).
A Nikon SB-23 AF TTL flash
1 or more filters (mostly 77mm size)

Probably a few others that I can donate to the cause... I'll keep looking.

icebear
06-07-2013, 18:19
I'm in too, batteries charged and cards formatted, can't find that "decisive button" though ;).

kdemas
06-07-2013, 18:55
I'm in too, batteries charged and cards formatted, can't find that "decisive button" though ;).

It's a "Decisive filter" you need ;)

Clint Troy
06-07-2013, 18:59
Decisive app?

tuanvinh2000
06-07-2013, 19:45
The decisive soft release?
I'm in :)

grapejohnson
06-09-2013, 09:06
count me in

Gabriel M.A.
06-09-2013, 09:32
Definitely in.

Clint Troy
06-09-2013, 10:16
Here are some pictures, finally. Sorry for the bad quality.
Kent, please post these pictures where you see fit.

-Nikon F-401X
- Never used Tom Abrahamsson Softie "8"
-Never used TWO (2) Red mini softies
-Never used TWO (2) Black mini softies

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/nenadbojic/RFF/F401x-1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/nenadbojic/RFF/F401x-2.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/nenadbojic/RFF/F401x-3.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/nenadbojic/RFF/Softie-1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/nenadbojic/RFF/Softie-2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/nenadbojic/RFF/Softie-3.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/nenadbojic/RFF/Softie-4.jpg

kdemas
06-10-2013, 21:06
Thanks for the pics Clint. Should be a great camera for the recipient!

avikrc
06-10-2013, 21:13
Hey! I'm in too. Should be fun.

kdemas
06-12-2013, 14:13
Hey! I'm in too. Should be fun.

Glad you're joining in Avik!

REMINDER.

Every time we hold one of these fun little competitions we hear from people who forgot about it. There are a couple ways to avoid this:

Subscribe to this thread and learn about Challenge milestones as they occur.
Subscribe to email alerts on the Decisive Challenge website (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/). Simply enter your email address into the "Get Challenge Updates by Email" field and hit "Submit".

Jake06
06-12-2013, 14:26
I have a reminder set in my phone's calendar, guarantees I won't forget.

kdemas
06-12-2013, 14:27
I have a reminder set in my phone's calendar, guarantees I won't forget.

Even better!

Dave S.
06-14-2013, 22:47
I'm In!

I think this challenge is terrific! Now the question is: Should I combine this challenge with another challenge posted here on RFF?

Hmmm, the decisive moment meets the less than $40 camera??? I guess I just like a good challenge... :D

The $40 Challenge:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133000

c.poulton
06-14-2013, 23:08
I'm In! :)

Terrific idea - can't wait to get out shooting now on the 29/30th!

OurManInTangier
06-15-2013, 05:40
I'd like to be in this year. I'm working all day on the 29th so unless something decisive happens there it'll all have to happen on the 30th :D

kdemas
06-15-2013, 21:11
Two weeks until we all "Get Decisive" :)

kxl
06-15-2013, 21:17
Look forward to it. I've got an entire day in SF on the 29th.

Kent - any location ideas? I'm thinking Chinatown. Been a while since I've been up there.

- Keith

StefanJozef
06-15-2013, 21:47
I'd love to participate in this challenge as well....Stefan

kdemas
06-16-2013, 13:35
Look forward to it. I've got an entire day in SF on the 29th.

Kent - any location ideas? I'm thinking Chinatown. Been a while since I've been up there.

- Keith

Keith,

Chinatown is always good and you can hike up through North Beach while you're there. I'm going to set up a little RFF meetup for that day, hopefully you can join us for a beer.

Kent

kdemas
06-22-2013, 07:01
One week to go! Next weekend is the "shooting weekend", have you made your plans yet?

furbs
06-22-2013, 08:48
One week to go! Next weekend is the "shooting weekend", have you made your plans yet?

Would be good to meet some fellow RFF'ers here in SF. I've only spotted two rangefinders in the city this year! I think the pride parade might be a bit too decisive for me, though.

Rodchenko
06-22-2013, 08:53
I'm In!

I think this challenge is terrific! Now the question is: Should I combine this challenge with another challenge posted here on RFF?

Hmmm, the decisive moment meets the less than $40 camera??? I guess I just like a good challenge... :D

The $40 Challenge:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133000

My $40 Challenge Trip will likely be out on the day. Sadly, my Paxette is hors de combat. But I do have other qualifiers I haven't entered for $40 yet... ;)

kdemas
06-22-2013, 09:01
Absolutely! In going to start a meeting thread in the Bay Area RFF group to set something up. Is the Pride Parade next weekend?

Would be good to meet some fellow RFF'ers here in SF. I've only spotted two rangefinders in the city this year! I think the pride parade might be a bit too decisive for me, though.

furbs
06-22-2013, 10:38
Absolutely! In going to start a meeting thread in the Bay Area RFF group to set something up. Is the Pride Parade next weekend?

Yup, it's the 30th, Sunday. If you've seen one you've seen them all, imo, and I've seen eight or nine. Just an idea, I wouldn't mind meeting at Dolores Park Saturday.

kdemas
06-25-2013, 10:58
I think my Ricoh GR is going to be part of the shooting fun this weekend. I also might use a Yashica 35GT or Nikon FM3A on the film side of things.

What equipment will you be using?

CosmicCharlie
06-25-2013, 13:48
I am in! my winter attempt had no usable images, so now I am overthinking it.
my gear for this event:
Freshly Ye cla'd ltm, everything bagel double toasted, ice coffee. my mental spiritual preperation, is drooling over HCB images from the 30's, re-reading Bill Jay & Hurn's book.

furbs
06-25-2013, 14:33
Probably the F2 and Mamiya 7. Stocked up on film, need to burn through a few rolls this weekend.

mfunnell
06-25-2013, 15:49
This weekend? I'm in! I'm away from home and don't have a lot of choices as far as a camera goes but I'll do it anyway. I don't think I can manage "HCB-style" shots, but perhaps if I shoot a whole hell of a lot of frames I can try to be a kind of ersatz Winogrand.

...Mike

kdemas
06-25-2013, 16:00
This weekend? I'm in! I'm away from home and don't have a lot of choices as far as a camera goes but I'll do it anyway. I don't think I can manage "HCB-style" shots, but perhaps if I shoot a whole hell of a lot of frames I can try to be a kind of ersatz Winogrand.

...Mike

Excellent! Doesn't have to be like HCB at all, should be like "your" version of street.

Have fun!

Alowisney
06-26-2013, 05:28
I'll be using my NEX-5N and 50mm f/1.8 with the EVF. The EVF turns it into a whole other camera and is probably one of the best things I've ever bought.

slidesandthecity
06-26-2013, 06:49
M4-P, Elmar 5cm f3.5, Foma 400.

kdemas
06-27-2013, 05:30
M4-P, Elmar 5cm f3.5, Foma 400.

That should be a really nice combo!

kdemas
06-27-2013, 05:31
I'll be using my NEX-5N and 50mm f/1.8 with the EVF. The EVF turns it into a whole other camera and is probably one of the best things I've ever bought.

The 5N with EVF is a powerful tiny package. I met someone who uses it for fashion shoots, stunning results.

Brunocstreet
06-27-2013, 10:42
I'll use a Yashica Mat 124G, or a Nikonos V.. depending on the mood :)

bastian a.
06-27-2013, 20:31
I'm in :)

B.

back alley
06-27-2013, 20:37
i'm pretty sure that i'll be using the fujis and 2 or 3 lenses...
just can't decide on which bag...?!

kdemas
06-27-2013, 21:06
i'm pretty sure that i'll be using the fujis and 2 or 3 lenses...
just can't decide on which bag...?!

Ha!! I might break out the Domke F803, always a winner for me. The Black Billingham is winking at me too though its a bit large in comparison.

Jamie Pillers
06-27-2013, 22:18
Ha!! I might break out the Domke F803, always a winner for me. The Black Billingham is winking at me too though its a bit large in comparison.

I'll be using my pink rabbit fur-lined man purse. I'm sure HCB would've approved.

back alley
06-27-2013, 22:24
i don't think hcb used a bag...

if i shoot 2 bodies with lenses attached then i often leave the bag in the trunk...

Jamie Pillers
06-27-2013, 22:30
Equipment? Cardboard pinhole camera with paper negative taped inside. Perfect for those 2 minute 'decisive moment' shots.

Then again, I might decide to use the D800E with the Holga 60mm f/8 strapped on. Set it for mega-burst mode; fill up a couple of 64Mb cards at Church and Market, then spend the next 2 weeks looking for that 'decisive moment' capture. Once found, hit it with some Alien Skin or Nik mumbo jumbo to get that winning heavy-contrast, grainy b&w, atmospheric thing of beauty.

Or.... go with Wabi Sabi Fuji? Most likely.

daveleo
06-28-2013, 04:02
I'll use the Fuji X100 on a neck strap. No bag.
Am very anxious about "street shooting" here in town . . .
must calm down . . .
maybe drive into Boston where people expect photographers out there.

MikeDimit
06-28-2013, 06:25
I am in :-))

bonatto
06-28-2013, 06:56
I'm in! Can't wait to see these year's entries!

02Pilot
06-28-2013, 07:21
I'm in. Likely have my Canon P out on Sunday, maybe get out with something else on Saturday.

furbs
06-28-2013, 09:11
35mm Color Skopar came in the mail today, will probably pop that on the M4 and have at it :)

kdemas
06-28-2013, 11:53
35mm Color Skopar came in the mail today, will probably pop that on the M4 and have at it :)

Nice. Very cool compact optic.

perzpective
06-28-2013, 12:49
I'm in! Sounds like great fun. Thanks for organizing.

Barolodrinker
06-28-2013, 13:12
Count me in. Up for a it here.

sar-photo
06-28-2013, 13:58
I'm in - hopefully I'll be in London on the 30th.

burancap
06-28-2013, 14:21
I need defunkified, so I will join y'all out and about this weekend!

kdemas
06-28-2013, 16:29
As usual RFF members have stepped up and donated some very cool prizes! The winner of the competition will get first chice, then the runner-up, etc...

The prizes include:

From Clint Troy:

From Roland (Ferider)
Canon 50/1.8 LTM lens

From Joe (Back Alley)
Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i Bag

From Keith (KXL)
- A Brick (10 rolls) of B&W film (for the winning B&W film shooter).
- A Nikon SB-23 AF TTL flash

From Kent (Me, kdemas)
- A $39 100' roll of Kentmere 100 or 400 or the same value of your favorite film.

Note: For international winners there my be a charge for shipping (we can only ask so much of the donating parties). Shipping can be discussed between the winner and provider.

lam
06-28-2013, 17:13
OOo I'm in ! can't wait, should have my new camera too.

paulfish4570
06-28-2013, 20:48
wow! nice prizes!
oh, and thanks for the reminder. i'll run arista premium 400 in a chinon cm-5 with pentax m 50/1.4 ...

kdemas
06-28-2013, 22:03
wow! nice prizes!
oh, and thanks for the reminder. i'll run arista premium 400 in a chinon cm-5 with pentax m 50/1.4 ...

Excellent Paul! I look forward to your image submission.

mfunnell
06-29-2013, 04:28
I braved this murk:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7334/9164351453_aa2d5acb04_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfunnell/9164351453/)

to catch a tram, not long after first light, to go looking for something worth photographing.

Get shooting, people!

...Mike

back alley
06-29-2013, 05:02
7 a.m. here...first coffee and then off to breakfast with my saturday morning buds...rain predicted for the weekend...l2 is packed, xp1 with 35 and xe1 with 14...

good luck and good light to all!

paulfish4570
06-29-2013, 05:13
got to go to where the people are outside. good weather today: high of 88F and clear; same tomorrow ...

kdemas
06-29-2013, 06:21
It's on!

Head out and capture a little slice of your world, wherever you are! Remember, no posting of your image until the voting is over, we want to keep the creator anonymous for voting fairness.

Your entry can be uploaded on DecisiveChallenge.com when you've made your choice.

Have fun everyone, it's toasty in my neck of the woods today!

CosmicCharlie
06-29-2013, 17:00
day 1 here in New England, very overcast morning with nice even lighting, clearing skies with great twilight. Did not end up using iif decided on m6, felt stealth with 35mm lens until I put on old silver 90mm rigid, my cloak of invisibilty stopped working, I felt clunky and obtrusive, switched back fast to 35mm.

I have to admit that I thought the challenge would be shooting as usual and it wasn't, as I was concentrating on the theme it made me hyper alert to the non-static elements of the scene. thank you for putting this on.

back alley
06-29-2013, 17:06
I hope my shooting gets better tomorrow...

burancap
06-29-2013, 17:10
I hope I can even get out tomorrow! Today was about a 1:00PM rollout as I fight back pain. I ended up releasing the shutter maybe a dozen times though.

daveleo
06-29-2013, 17:13
I am putting all my hopes on a local bike race and its crowd tomorrow.
Never made it out today, except to the drug store for medications.

rhl-oregon
06-29-2013, 17:25
Put a roll of Ilford 50 through the Autocord, and Fuji 160 color through the Mamiya C3, mostly at the big hippie rhythm circle at the Wayne Morse Free Speech Plaza. There was a lot of exhaled medication in the air, which those of you with medical marijuana cards will understand.

Dave and Jeff, hope you feel better tomorrow.

furbs
06-29-2013, 17:55
Went through 2 rolls so far and the day's not over yet. Was great meeting fellow RFFers today as well =)

kdemas
06-29-2013, 18:29
Went through 2 rolls so far and the day's not over yet. Was great meeting fellow RFFers today as well =)

Great to meet you too! Enjoy your shooting!

paulfish4570
06-30-2013, 06:31
gotta get out today. must ... find ... people ...

kdemas
06-30-2013, 06:50
gotta get out today. must ... find ... people ...

Go get 'em Paul!

kdemas
06-30-2013, 11:49
Another prize!

We had a surprise donation from a past runner-up! Details to come later.

erikhaugsby
06-30-2013, 12:06
I hope you're all having good luck! It's 10 p.m. where I live so the Challenge is just about finished.

Here's one of my outtakes, what do yours look like?

http://haugsby.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/r020029.jpg?w=1000 (http://haugsby.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/3515/)

mfunnell
06-30-2013, 12:23
I hope you're all having good luck! It's 10 p.m. where I live so the Challenge is just about finished.

Well, that moment (movement?) looked pretty decisive!

This guy was being the opposite of decisive:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/9178374956_7589dbe55c_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfunnell/9178374956/)

And I couldn't avoid dogs either:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/9170814463_e56b79435f_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfunnell/9170814463/)

...Mike

brainwood
06-30-2013, 12:57
:bang:So annoyed I have missed the date again

I had to work today - from an hour after the email came through saying the time had started until about an hour ago !! That's two in row...right next time [email protected]!!

kdemas
06-30-2013, 12:59

That's a "crappy" shot ;)

daveleo
06-30-2013, 14:00
I have failed miserably.
End of story.

ampguy
06-30-2013, 14:04
let's not pooo pooo others potential submissions. I totally would have voted for that one :D

That's a "crappy" shot ;)

jcrutcher
06-30-2013, 14:19
yesterday was tough, 118 degrees in Phoenix, wish I was in San Fran. Might have a good one from last nights dinner........ What is the correct explanation on decisive????

icebear
06-30-2013, 14:26
I think I was luckier on Friday night, then for the challenge starting yesterday. I wasn't in the mood today but I guess I still have something to post from last night. Hopefully we see lots of interesting submissions.

erikhaugsby
06-30-2013, 14:58
let's not pooo pooo others potential submissions. I totally would have voted for that one :D

:p;):rolleyes:

back alley
06-30-2013, 15:03
no great art was produced here as well...

CosmicCharlie
06-30-2013, 15:18
What a blast! Between yesterday and today: 3 rolls, (thats big for me) I average 1 a week at best. 3 states ME, NH, MA, 1 body M6. girlfriend went with me yesterday morning, shot solo at dusk. Went twice today. Next challenge hope to shoot with fellow RF'ers.

kdemas
06-30-2013, 15:58
What a blast! Between yesterday and today: 3 rolls, (thats big for me) I avererage 1 a week at best. 3 states ME, NH, MA, 1 body M6. girlfriend went with me yesterday morning, shot solo at dusk. Went twice today. Next challenge hope to shoot with fellow RF'ers.

Excellent! Good luck...glad you had fun!

kdemas
06-30-2013, 16:03
yesterday was tough, 118 degrees in Phoenix, wish I was in San Fran. Might have a good one from last nights dinner........ What is the correct explanation on decisive????

Jim- No definition required. Just your favorite shot you took out on the street will be great.

Kent

gb hill
06-30-2013, 18:45
Got my roll finished & the roll of Arista 100 EDU developed in Rodinal is hanging to dry as I type.

Jake06
06-30-2013, 19:26
Entry submitted, best of a bad bunch so no high hopes, but I had fun all the same.

kdemas
06-30-2013, 19:47
Entry submitted, best of a bad bunch so no high hopes, but I had fun all the same.

Don't sell yourself short! I peeked at the database and I like it! Good luck!

paulfish4570
07-01-2013, 07:17
exposed only 14-15 frames. hope to run it tonight, maybe scan tomorrow. we're to leave wednesday on a five-day trip. july 14 deadline, so i've got plenty of time ...

kdemas
07-01-2013, 08:43
RFFers have really stepped up, thank you to everyone who has donated a prize. You can see the full price list in the first thread post, here are the latest additions:

From Kirk (thompsonks)
- Used (and really nice) Olympus EP-1 camera with 17/2.8 and OVF. Donated in last challenge by FrozenInTime.

From Bob (bob338)
- 10 pack of hp5 in 120 (expired)
- 5 pack of tri-x 320(yes, really) in 320(obviously expired.)

From Erik (erikhaugsby)
- 2 Abrahamsson Soft Releases for the Leica M240 (only for that model)

02Pilot
07-01-2013, 10:38
Shot a bunch Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, but now the trick is to get it developed and scanned before I leave on vacation Friday, since I won't be back until after the deadline. It's going to be tight....

BTW, big thanks to all the prize donors - tremendous generosity on all counts.

daveleo
07-01-2013, 12:00
I am on the Decisive Challenge / submit entry web page, filled it out, but where is the "SUBMIT" button to upload the picture ? ?

kdemas
07-01-2013, 12:04
I am on the Decisive Challenge / submit entry web page, filled it out, but where is the "SUBMIT" button to upload the picture ? ?

Down at the bottom Dave. Have you made your type bigger... maybe it expanded the layout and the button is hidden.

daveleo
07-01-2013, 12:14
Down at the bottom Dave. Have you made your type bigger... maybe it expanded the layout and the button is hidden.

Nope. At the very bottom of the page (just above the copyright notice) there is a message that says "There was an error in this gadget".

I am using Chromium browser on a Linux OS.

Actually . . . don't spend any time on this, the picture is boring anyway.

erikhaugsby
07-01-2013, 12:22
Nope. At the very bottom of the page (just above the copyright notice) there is a message that says "There was an error in this gadget".

Actually . . . don't spend any time on this, the picture is boring anyway.

edit: I'm just gonna delete these words because they're not applicable - I missed where you said that you had already filled out the form.

You should spend some time on it, the more pictures the merrier the competition!

mfunnell
07-01-2013, 12:25

Actually . . . don't spend any time on this, the picture is boring anyway.I had the "error in gadget" message, too, using Internet Exploder 8 64-bit on Win7. I figured it was an issue with full HTML 5 support, as these things mostly are these days, so had a go with the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. That worked just great.

...Mike

P.S. Oh, yes, I submitted my entry.

jane7l
07-01-2013, 12:29
submit page is a bit awkward, same as last year, and on some screen resolutions it hides the submit button at the bottom of the page. try to magnify it with ctrl+.
had a working weekend, snapped just few and submitted a boring photo...

daveleo
07-01-2013, 12:42
Okay. I switched to Firefox and the "enter the challenge" button showed up and I think it went in okay.

Thanks for the help.

zauhar
07-01-2013, 12:56
Not too happy with what I got, I will develop and see.
Randy

kdemas
07-01-2013, 13:06
I'll try to work on the submittal page later for those that are having an issue. I'd recommend avoiding IE as it seems there have been a couple issues in the past.

kdemas
07-01-2013, 13:27
Okay. I switched to Firefox and the "enter the challenge" button showed up and I think it went in okay.

Thanks for the help.

Dave- I got it just fine. Sorry for the headache!

jcrutcher
07-01-2013, 19:46
My shot is uploaded!

Jim

Jake06
07-01-2013, 20:00
Didn't mention it before, but I'm using Chrome on Win7 and I too had the issue of the submit button being inaccessible, yet on IE it was fine. The error in gadget thing was also at the bottom of the page for me.

Here's what it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/1TB5Wra.jpg

kdemas
07-01-2013, 20:07
Didn't mention it before, but I'm using Chrome on Win7 and I too had the issue of the submit button being inaccessible, yet on IE it was fine. The error in gadget thing was also at the bottom of the page for me.

Here's what it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/1TB5Wra.jpg

Thanks for the screen shot, I appreciate it.

Fixed gadget error at bottom of page. I also added some more available space below the button in the layout so hopefully this will take care of the other issues a few people have experienced.

I use Chrome on the Mac and it works just fine, fun platform specific issues!

kdemas
07-01-2013, 20:13
My shot is uploaded!

Jim

Super Jim, thanks! Good luck!

SausalitoDog
07-01-2013, 22:34
Hi Kent-

I posted my entry last night...

Thanks again for running this cool challenge.

Tom

kdemas
07-02-2013, 05:24
Hi Kent-

I posted my entry last night...

Thanks again for running this cool challenge.

Tom

My pleasure Tom! Some terrific submissions already, glad you could join in!

furbs
07-02-2013, 21:46
Let my shots sit for a day or two then picked and submitted my entry. My first photo competition. Excited to see all the submissions - and now we play the waiting game...

tuanvinh2000
07-02-2013, 21:49
have three more rolls to develop this week but i prefer shooting in free time than developing the film! will get them scanned by end of the week to pick one though. really get me trying new angles/frames! thanks kent.

kdemas
07-03-2013, 07:19
have three more rolls to develop this week but i prefer shooting in free time than developing the film! will get them scanned by end of the week to pick one though. really get me trying new angles/frames! thanks kent.

I have a roll from the Challenge to develop myself! Shooting for later today.

kdemas
07-03-2013, 12:35
Let my shots sit for a day or two then picked and submitted my entry. My first photo competition. Excited to see all the submissions - and now we play the waiting game...

Looking forward to your entry from that nice M4! Great to meet you and good luck with the Challenge!

perzpective
07-03-2013, 21:55
Chose an interesting time to develop at home for the first time! Developed two rolls of tri-x shot at 800asa together last night with the standard D76 1:1 for 7:45 due to warmer chemicals. Both rolls look like they came out great, too. Now to scan and see if I was able to come up with any good shots!

Thanks for putting this on, I had a great time regardless. ^_^

Incredible being able to connect with other photographers from across the world while living in Seoul.

kdemas
07-03-2013, 22:06
Glad you're having fun and congrats on your successful development effort! Look forward to seeing your entry.

It definitely is fun inter-relating with people a world away. Small world!

Kent

Chose an interesting time to develop at home for the first time! Developed two rolls of tri-x shot at 800asa together last night with the standard D76 1:1 for 7:45 due to warmer chemicals. Both rolls look like they came out great, too. Now to scan and see if I was able to come up with any good shots!

Thanks for putting this on, I had a great time regardless. ^_^

Incredible being able to connect with other photographers from across the world while living in Seoul.

kxl
07-04-2013, 09:50
Something came up this past weekend so I couldn't participate, but my offer to donate prizes still stands. Good luck to everyone.

kdemas
07-04-2013, 19:59
Something came up this past weekend so I couldn't participate, but my offer to donate prizes still stands. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks! We missed you on Saturday.

Keep the great entries coming everyone, this is going to be a fun competition!

MikeDimit
07-05-2013, 12:30
Sorry to admit but it was raining cats and dogs in Sofia, Bulgaria. Both days. Well I hope others had their luck in this wonderful challenge! I salute all of you with this one of minehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mikedimit/9217080924/sizes/m/in/photostream/http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikedimit/9217080924/sizes/m/in/photostream/

SausalitoDog
07-05-2013, 15:45
Kent-

Just curious. If you'd care to share, I'd be interested in how many folks signed up, and how many have already submitted (and how many you expect based on the percentage last year).

Tom

kdemas
07-05-2013, 16:08
Tom,

There have been 26 entries thus far (only 1 per individual) and I anticipate a similar number yet to come. Usually quite a few make their way in just before the deadline for submission.

Deadline for submission: July 14th at Midnight PDT.

Kent

Kent-

Just curious. If you'd care to share, I'd be interested in how many folks signed up, and how many have already submitted (and how many you expect based on the percentage last year).

Tom

jcrutcher
07-05-2013, 21:19
Kent did you get my message about my gift contribution?

Jim

kdemas
07-06-2013, 03:27
Kent did you get my message about my gift contribution?

Jim

Jim,

I didn't. Feel free to PM me when you have a moment and, of course, thank you!

Kent

kdemas
07-06-2013, 18:49
Another great RFF member stepped up and made a great prize donation. Jim (JCrutcher) donated the following:

- $100 B&H Photo Gift Card.

Thank you to Jim and all the prize donors, you're the best!

Kent

icebear
07-07-2013, 05:34
My submission is in. Let's see how it fares ;).

DougK
07-07-2013, 06:43
What the heck, I'm in.

EDIT: And I obviously can't read the rules and submitted a color image. Doh!. Any way to withdraw my entry and resubmit?

kdemas
07-07-2013, 09:16
What the heck, I'm in.

EDIT: And I obviously can't read the rules and submitted a color image. Doh!. Any way to withdraw my entry and resubmit?

No problem Doug. Just submit another via the form and I'll take care of it.

Kent

DougK
07-07-2013, 13:49
No problem Doug. Just submit another via the form and I'll take care of it.

Kent

Thanks, Kent! I've resubmitted my entry (properly this time...).

kdemas
07-07-2013, 16:42
Thanks, Kent! I've resubmitted my entry (properly this time...).

Got it! Good luck !

zauhar
07-07-2013, 17:59
Didn't have a lot of time to shoot last weekend, but the film is developed and I'm making proof sheets in a moment. The weather provides a good excuse to work in the basement tonight.

;-(

Randy

paulfish4570
07-08-2013, 05:23
my one partial roll - last 15 frames on the roll for the contest - is drying. won't take long to sort through those when i scan them ... :)

paulfish4570
07-09-2013, 07:09
bump .....

paulfish4570
07-09-2013, 07:26
beautiful contest page, kent. my entry is in ...

Rodchenko
07-09-2013, 08:01
I'm not blown away by any of my shots, but there are a few contenders. I need to stop dithering and just decide.

kdemas
07-09-2013, 08:47
I'm not blown away by any of my shots, but there are a few contenders. I need to stop dithering and just decide.

I'm the same way, can't decide!

Reminder everyone... Deadline for submission is July 14th at Midnight California Time.

mfunnell
07-09-2013, 18:55
And I obviously can't read the rules and submitted a color image. Doh!. Any way to withdraw my entry and resubmit?I just realised that my entry still contains some identifying EXIF data: it seems that "save for web" is aggressive about getting rid of a lot of tags but not much on removing ownership/copyright related stuff (in general I'd say that's a good thing, but perhaps not for this purpose). I have standard actions which I more-or-less don't think about which puts that stuff in there so they were left in the photo I submitted.

Should I resubmit after using exiftool or similar to really remove that data? Or do you have some process to do this before you make the images available for viewing/voting?

...Mike

kdemas
07-09-2013, 19:37
I just realised that my entry still contains some identifying EXIF data: it seems that "save for web" is aggressive about getting rid of a lot of tags but not much on removing ownership/copyright related stuff (in general I'd say that's a good thing, but perhaps not for this purpose). I have standard actions which I more-or-less don't think about which puts that stuff in there so they were left in the photo I submitted.

Should I resubmit after using exiftool or similar to really remove that data? Or do you have some process to do this before you make the images available for viewing/voting?

...Mike

Mike,

Don't worry about it, no problem.

Kent

mfunnell
07-09-2013, 19:47
Mike,

Don't worry about it, no problem.

KentThanks. I figured you'd have it covered but thought I'd ask just in case.

...Mike

kdemas
07-14-2013, 07:20
Submission Deadline is TONIGHT at Midnight California time. If you live on the East Coast of the US or in Europe or Asia that means you have until sometime Monday, depending on your time zone.

Good luck!

kdemas
07-14-2013, 18:18
Final Deadline Reminder Bump.

kdemas
07-14-2013, 20:36
Submitted my entry. I was SO torn between 3 or 4 images, we'll see if it was the right call. A few more hours left to submit!

I really wanted to submit this image but it's really a street portrait and I wanted to stick to the spirit of the competition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdemas/9290818130/

Dave S.
07-14-2013, 23:19
Fabulous street portrait though! I only had 1 shot that really merited submission. Hope it gets a few votes.

Rodchenko
07-15-2013, 01:41
Missed it. I was off camping. Life can be extra busy with a baby. Ah well, I can enjoy looking at what others have produced.

bobbyrab
07-15-2013, 01:46
Am I missing a link to view the entries so far, or is that yet to come? I'd appreciate being pointed to the gallery if there is one. Cheers.

kdemas
07-15-2013, 05:09
OK gang, submissions are closed. I'll be assembling all the entries for review and I should have them ready to be seen on Wednesday.

Great job everyone!

mfunnell
07-15-2013, 05:14
OK gang, submissions are closed. I'll be assembling all the entries for review and I should have them ready to be seen on Wednesday.

Great job everyone!Thanks for all your work on this. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what everyone has produced.

...Mike

icebear
07-15-2013, 06:22

Great job everyone!

Thanks for all the work you are putting in to this contest.
Looking forward to seeing all the entries.

kdemas
07-15-2013, 08:12
My pleasure guys. It's always fun to see what people come up with.

kdemas
07-16-2013, 20:03
Gang,

I have sent all entrants an email tot he stages contest images. Please let me know if there is any issue with your image ASAP. I will be making the site live tomorrow.

Please do not share the link I provided as I will be creating a new thread for the viewing/voting.

No changing image titles unless I made a mistake in transcribing from your entry.

mfunnell
07-16-2013, 20:14
I received your mail and checked my entry. All seems fine. Thanks, once again, for all your efforts.

...Mike

kdemas
07-16-2013, 20:27
Super Mike, thanks for the feedback.

I received your mail and checked my entry. All seems fine. Thanks, once again, for all your efforts.

...Mike

Jake06
07-17-2013, 00:24
No problems with mine.

Cheers

02Pilot
07-17-2013, 07:22
Mine looks to be fine as well.

paulfish4570
07-17-2013, 07:35
mine is a-ok ...

daveleo
07-17-2013, 08:14
good to go, for me.

kdemas
07-17-2013, 16:31
Go to this thread (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2181760#post2181760) to find out how to cast your vote and see the excellent images that were submitted!

kdemas
07-31-2013, 09:25
Post your Outtakes (images that didn't make the cut) here (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=135182).