PDA

View Full Version : Decisive Challenge Winter Edition Dec 15th & 16th. Join In!

kdemas
11-12-2012, 16:46
Worldwide Decisive Challenge 2012

As winter falls on the Northern Hemisphere and the holiday season approaches it's time to roll out the 3rd installment of the Worldwide Decisive Challenge (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/), this time the Winter Edition 2012. This competition and tribute to the work of Henri Cartier Bresson has seen winners from the US and from Greece thus far in two superb competitions. Now it's time to dust off the street shooting gear and go out to try and capture the Decisive Moment once again.

Join with fellow photographers from around the world to create a day where street shooting reigns supreme. Whether you’re in a small town or a major metropolis, do your best and share your skill and “eye” with fellow photographers.

Use any camera you like. Shoot as much, or as little as you like on December 15th & 16th. This fun challenge is about the end result, how you get there is your business.

We are going to set up a gathering of our local RFF group for that day as a bit of a nexus for getting lots of people involved in a fun way. I'd love to see regional clubs around the world do the same.

If you're planning in participating please let us know here. Having a nice big turnout might help us with sponsors so we can have some goodies for the top vote getters!

When: The Weekend of December 15th & 16th

Where: EVERYWHERE. The challenge itself is a worldwide challenge, open to anyone who wants to capture a decisive moment on December 15th or 16th. Let's see street work from around the world on one day, this day.

What's this all about?
On December 15th or 16th you will head out into your local city, village or town and try to make HCB proud. Shoot with the spirit of the master and attempt to capture an image that reflects the type of style and subject matter that HCB was known for. Even if you're not an HCB fan, no matter. Let your own "street style" show through, nobody likes a copy cat!

What are the rules? Not many.

All photos MUST BE TAKEN ON EITHER DECEMBER 15TH OR 16TH.
This is not a limited "one lens, one camera" challenge, instead you can use whatever tool best works for you and take as many pictures as you like. Digital, Analogue, Rangefinder, SLR, Holga, iPhone...whatever you want. HCB used the tools that were right for him, and if he was alive today he would do the same I am sure. It's all about the image and capturing the moment, use whatever allows you to do that.
You have ALL DAY to shoot so you can find the light and conditions that are right for you. It's the honor system, so an image taken one minute too early or late should not be submitted.
Please submit all photos in Black and White. Well, that's a nod to HCB and his preferred medium.
Each participant can enter one, and only one, photo. If we do not get enough participation we may expand this to two photos but let's count on only one.
For fair and unbiased judging please do not include anything that tips off who took the shot. No watermarking or copyrights on photos, no naming that gives away who the photographer is.
IMPORTANT- Pictures should not be shared anywhere before the contest. Anonymity is important for a nice fair vote later on. Any images that have been found anywhere on the web prior to results being posted will be disqualified.

How do we submit our entries?

You will have until midnight on January 10TH to submit your entries via the Decisive Challenge Submission Form (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/enter-decisive-challenge.html?RFF).
Submissions should be no more than 300k and measure no longer than 1200 pixels on the longest side.

Then what?
On January 12th 2013 I will take all submitted photos and post them, in random order and with no names attached, to a site for review. Each photo will have a letter (letters) next to it and you will pick your top 3 and comment in the voting thread.

Voting will be open until midnight January 20th 2013 (PST Time). Votes will be tallied and the winner will be announced on January 22nd.

Example where photo X is your favorite, F is your second choice and A is your 3rd favorite. You must make 3 selections or the votes will not be counted.:
X-1
F-2
A-3

Prizes...
Well beyond the obvious honor and thrill of winning this event we are working to provide some nice prizes for the top five vote getters. Prizes include a classic Leica camera and lens as well as other incredible prizes, such as a used Olympus Digital camera and lens and an Agfa Medium format camera.

Most Importantly... Have Fun!
This event is designed to give shooters of all types, with all different equipment, the chance to participate in a fun challenging competition. Shoot what you want, at the time of day you want, in the light you want. Impress us all and enjoy!

**Note- This challenge is in no way connected to or in association with the Cartier-Bresson family, Foundation or Magnum Photo. This is merely a grass-roots contest in honor of a famous and well-respected photographer and man.

kdemas
11-13-2012, 09:25
Hey, the response has been terrific, keep it up! ;)

Monday morning bump.

paulfish4570
11-13-2012, 09:31
i'm in ...

kdemas
11-13-2012, 12:40
Glad to see you in again Paul!

kdemas
11-14-2012, 15:05
Yup, it's a bump!

Let us know if you'll be taking part. It's a fun time, join in!

helenhill
11-14-2012, 15:08
Ok Kent, I will add something 'Nice' to your Bump ...:eek:

I will DONATE a PRIZE:
a very Pretty EXC + Condt & EXC Working 'Agfa Isolette"
with One Roll of Tmax 120 Film...:D

I'm In for This Decisive Challenge !

kdemas
11-14-2012, 15:34
That's fantastic Helen, thank you so much! So generous :)

I look forward to your participation too, we love to get some NYC entries!

Thanks again!

Kent

Ok Kent, I will add something 'Nice' to your Bump ...:eek:

I will DONATE a PRIZE:
a very Pretty EXC + Condt & EXC Working 'Agfa Isolette"
with One Roll of Tmax 120 Film...:D

I'm In for This Decisive Challenge !

icebear
11-14-2012, 16:25
Kent, I'm in.
For a blink of a moment I was thinking about my unused film M's but I'll have to think about that .. that would for sure get the participation going, I guess.

kdemas
11-14-2012, 17:55
You can use whatever you like to create the images for this challenge...film, digital, glass plates, whatever! A pinhole street shot might be interesting!

Kent, I'm in.
For a blink of a moment I was thinking about my unused film M's but I'll have to think about that .. that would for sure get the participation going, I guess.

Mauro
11-15-2012, 00:29
Iwould be glad to participate!

jsrockit
11-15-2012, 05:41
I'm into this too.

icebear
11-15-2012, 07:49
You can use whatever you like to create the images for this challenge...film, digital, glass plates, whatever! A pinhole street shot might be interesting!

Haha, you didn't get my intention about the film M's -
I will for sure use the Monochrom for shooting but I was contemplating about donating a prize M body...

paulfish4570
11-15-2012, 08:08
uh, wow, to the prizes!

kdemas
11-15-2012, 13:22
An M body donation... that will create some excitement!

We already have some terrific prizes lines up from our always generous RFF community with more potentially on the way!

Agfa Isolette with a roll of TMAX 120 courtesy of the one and only Helen Hill.
10 rolls of Tri-X courtesy of our last winner Telenous.
A 100' roll of Arista EDU 100, 200 or 400 speed film courtesy of Me.

Personally I can hardly wait to see the winter street shots from around the country and world. Decorations out, people bundled (or not), maybe a little rain or snow in some places, such a different feel from the last round.

Haha, you didn't get my intention about the film M's -
I will for sure use the Monochrom for shooting but I was contemplating about donating a prize M body...

filmfan
11-15-2012, 13:28
Why not? I'm in.

brainwood
11-15-2012, 13:44
I'm around that weekend so count me in too

Chris

FrozenInTime
11-15-2012, 16:14
Hi Kent,

Not quite a Leica M, but let me donate a nice little Olympus E-P1 with 17/2.8 lens and OVF.

Donald.

zauhar
11-15-2012, 16:37
I am in for the 15/16 December.

Randy

kdemas
11-15-2012, 16:57
Hi Kent,

Not quite a Leica M, but let me donate a nice little Olympus E-P1 with 17/2.8 lens and OVF.

Donald.

Donald- Seriously??? That's incredibly generous!

kxl
11-15-2012, 17:03
Just to clarify the sequence of events (and dates):

Shoot photos - December 15/16
Submit photos - December 30th
Post photos - August 22nd (?) almost 8 months later??

Pastor Chris
11-15-2012, 17:09
In.

Ditto on the ? For August?

bgb
11-15-2012, 17:17
I have been on this site for years and never submitted any photos so I guess Dec 15th & 16 is time for me to man up! I like the idea of being able to use any medium very cool and all that.
As for the prizes :angel: as always rff members are really the best.

I have some 120 film to donate to the prize pool.
5x Fuji Neopan 100 B&W Acros Exp 12/2013

kdemas
11-15-2012, 17:39
Thanks for the heads up, I corrected the info above. To clarify key dates are:

Shoot Photos - December 15th and/or 16th
Submit Photos - January 10th Midnight PDT
Voting Opens - January 12th 2013
Voting Closes - January 20th 2013
Winners Announced - January 22nd 2013

Hope that helps and sorry for the slip up.

Kent

Just to clarify the sequence of events (and dates):

Shoot photos - December 15/16
Submit photos - December 30th
Post photos - August 22nd (?) almost 8 months later??

ferider
11-15-2012, 17:56
I'm in too, this time.

And I'll do my RFF Xmas gift here: A nicely CLA'ed IIIC + Summitar for one of the winners.

Thanks for organizing, Kent.

Roland.

FrozenInTime
11-15-2012, 17:57
Donald- Seriously??? That's incredibly generous!

You're welcome - hope it goes to a good home.

kdemas
11-15-2012, 18:07
Roland...thank you so much! I think we have some incredible prizes for what hopes to be a spirited competition.

What a great group we have here in our RFF community! This is really rare, I hope we all appreciate what a terrific collection of people we have here.

Thank you again Roland, Helen, Donald and Alkis for your support of this activity/competion!

I'm in too, this time.

And I'll do my RFF Xmas gift here: A nicely CLA'ed IIIC + Summitar for one of the winners.

Thanks for organizing, Kent.

Roland.

kdemas
11-16-2012, 08:36
Gang,

After the last Challenge in August I got quite a few notes expressing disappointment that people had forgotten about the dates and missed the fun. As RFF is such a dynamic forum you may not always see updates and announcements to this challenge unless you've subscribed and check the thread through your "User CP" area.

To help out I've set up a simple email notification system on DecisiveChallenge.com to keep you updated.

You will get a quick email whenever there is an update to DecisiveChallenge.com, including:

Upcoming Deadlines
General News about The Challenge
Prize Updates
Winner Announcements

No spam, no selling your email, nothing shady...just an easy way to keep informed and get reminders about the Challenge. After all, we're all very busy and dates and deadlines for a competition aren't exactly the first priority for most of us.

Here's how to sign up for updates, it's easy!

Go to DecisiveChallenge.com (http://www.decisivechallenge.com)
On the right hand side find the little section titled "Get Challenge Updates by Email"
Simply pop your email address into the box and hit "Submit". You're done!

The Email Notification box looks like this on the right hand side of the page (so you know what to look for):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8190232865_24bb6c7737_o_d.jpg

Anyway, I hope this helps keep everyone informed so they can enjoy the competition. Updates will continue in this thread as well of course!

PS- Another good way to keep up is to subscribe to this thread with instant email notifications. You can do that by using the "Thread Tools" pulldown at the top of the page.

kdemas
11-19-2012, 14:42
It's a Monday and time for a little "Bump"!

Let us all know if you're participating here in this thread. Hopefully we'll have a nice turnout in many locations so we see a variety in the submissions.

Play along!

kxl
11-19-2012, 14:56
I'm in. Thanks for facilitating this.

ampguy
11-19-2012, 18:43
Hi Kent, thanks for doing this. I read about it on the fpcf blog, and will be trying again!

rhl-oregon
11-19-2012, 21:09
In-ward & onward,

Robert

petronius
11-20-2012, 09:51
Iīm in too.

michaelbialecki
11-20-2012, 10:03
I soooooo want to participate in this but the dates don't work for me....I will be going to Myanmar on the 16th of December for 3 weeks, I will not be able to shoot, develop and scan in time to submit photos to this "Decisive Challenge"........I wish you all the best and I am looking forward to seeing the results.......

cheers, michael

Warren T.
11-20-2012, 10:19
hi Kent,

Gail, Lea, and I, as well as some others from our www.fpcf.blogspot.com gang (Ampguy, etc.) will be going for it again!

Thanks for organizing this, and a big thanks to all the folks who donated the great prizes.

--Warren

Jamie Pillers
11-20-2012, 12:59
Kent, as before, thank you for organizing this fun event. I'm in... assuming I'm out on bail by then. :-)

kdemas
11-21-2012, 06:37
Welcome aboard everyone! I certainly look forward to seeing everyone's submissions, we should have some very nice variety.

Brad Bireley
11-21-2012, 06:48
I'm in....

OurManInTangier
11-21-2012, 07:39
In. Definitely.

Rom
11-21-2012, 08:09
I will be in too again !

Thanks for the organisation of everything :)

Dave S.
11-21-2012, 11:24
I'm very excited about this! I participated in the 1st Decisive Challenge, but last minute unexpected obligations prevented me from participating in the 2nd. I'm really glad you have expanded it to two days - really increases the probability I'll be able to go out and get some shots for submission. Thanks for putting this together Kent!

ajramirez
11-21-2012, 11:53
I'm in.

Cheers,

Antonio

kennylovrin
11-21-2012, 12:28
I'm in as well!

kdemas
11-24-2012, 08:33
Welcome everyone! Looks like we're going to have some nice competition for some cool prizes!

SausalitoDog
11-24-2012, 08:44
I'm in ... Determined to do better than the last one !

kdemas
11-24-2012, 09:27
Same here Tom, my submittal in the last one flushed pretty badly.

I'm in ... Determined to do better than the last one !

Jake06
11-24-2012, 22:13
This is a fantastic idea, I'm definitely in!

+1 for the forum community spirit, too!

tomtofa
11-24-2012, 23:08
I'll give it a shot - so to speak :)
Thanks for getting this together.

Tom

Arquetipofoto
11-25-2012, 08:57
After months of just lurking, I finally take the plunge and make my first post to adhere to this fantastic idea, Let`s make HCB proud.

kdemas
11-25-2012, 09:04
Congratulations on Post #1 and we definitely look forward to having you participate in our Challenge. Welcome aboard!!

Kent

After months of just lurking, I finally take the plunge and make my first post to adhere to this fantastic idea, Let`s make HCB proud.

kdemas
11-25-2012, 09:23
Given the fact that the Winter Challenge is taking place during the Holiday Season an astute FrozenInTime pointed out that some film shooters might be hard pressed to develop and scan their entries in time for submission. Wanting to make this as fun and inclusive as possible we thoroughly agree and, as such, we have lengthened our window for submission and also modified the voting dates accordingly.

Have a look at the new Key Dates Schedule (Updated with Longer Submission Window):

- December 15th & 16th- Weekend to shoot your image.
- January 10th at midnight PDT- Deadline for submitting your image.
- January 12th, 2013- Voting begins.
- January 20th at midnight PDT- Voting closes.

Hopefully this will allow some of our friends to participate who have a hectic Holiday Season or who will be traveling.

FrozenInTime
11-25-2012, 22:59
Given the fact that the Winter Challenge is taking place during the Holiday Season an astute FrozenInTime pointed out that some film shooters might be hard pressed to develop and scan their entries in time for submission. Wanting to make this as fun and inclusive as possible we thoroughly agree and, as such, we have lengthened our window for submission and also modified the voting dates accordingly.

Have a look at the new Key Dates Schedule (Updated with Longer Submission Window):

- December 15th & 16th- Weekend to shoot your image.
- January 10th at midnight PDT- Deadline for submitting your image.
- January 12th, 2013- Voting begins.
- January 20th at midnight PDT- Voting closes.

Hopefully this will allow some of our friends to participate who have a hectic Holiday Season or who will be traveling.

Thanks Kent, I think there were a few who would otherwise be too busy rushing around to prepare an entry ... so I hope this extra breathing space will encourages more participants.

p.s. I see you also got a mention on the Leica l-camera forum http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2012/11/the-decisive-challenge-winter-edition-2012/

Donald.

kdemas
11-26-2012, 07:49
Thanks Kent, I think there were a few who would otherwise be too busy rushing around to prepare an entry ... so I hope this extra breathing space will encourages more participants.

p.s. I see you also got a mention on the Leica l-camera forum http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2012/11/the-decisive-challenge-winter-edition-2012/

Donald.

Ahhh.... I hadn't seen that blog post yet, thanks for the link! Andreas, who runs that forum, is a very nice guy who agreed to help spread the word. They even included the props I gave to RFF members for the incredible prizes.

Should be a fun and lively challenge.

CaptZoom
11-26-2012, 08:10
SoCal.

I'm in:)

And I'm sure I can bring a couple more people to join us:)

kdemas
11-26-2012, 08:15
SoCal.

I'm in:)

And I'm sure I can bring a couple more people to join us:)

Excellent. Will love to see some SoCal entries!

kdemas
11-26-2012, 18:13
My pride'n joy is in the camera shop. If it returns in usable condition I'm gonna shoot the crap out'a this world. If there's anything post-worthy, I'll ...you know...post it. (lol)

Give it your best shot, look forward to seeing the image you choose!

What's your camera of choice? I'm not quite sure what I'm going to break out for this Challenge yet.

zupstermix
11-26-2012, 18:37
Anywhere in the world? I'm in!

kdemas
11-26-2012, 19:07
Anywhere in the world? I'm in!

Yup, wherever you are is the right spot to take part!

gb hill
11-26-2012, 19:42
I can do this this time. Thanks Kent for the additional day.:)

kdemas
11-26-2012, 19:57
I can do this this time. Thanks Kent for the additional day.:)

Glad you can take part Greg!

basurf9
11-26-2012, 20:04
I'm semi new here but I'm in. This sounds like a fun day of shooting!

kdemas
11-26-2012, 20:28
I'm semi new here but I'm in. This sounds like a fun day of shooting!

Super! We love to have newer members take part. Welcome to RFF as well!

kdemas
11-27-2012, 07:41
I sold my T3 some time back, miss that little gem. Enjoy yours when it gets back.

Kent

My contax t3 is in the shop getting rebuilt. It's small, light weight and fun to use.
Like everyone else, I'll post something if I get something.
Looking forward to seeing the pics submitted.

seakayaker1
11-27-2012, 07:44
Count me in once again and look forward to seeing everyone's submissions.

tdeprat
11-27-2012, 08:34
I am in too. I always want to participate but never think my stuff is good enough.. I am hoping I can muster up the courage to submit a picture to this. :o

CaptZoom
11-27-2012, 08:42
Anyone want to do meet up for this in SoCal? Downtown LA? Santa Monica Pier? Venice Beach?

kdemas
11-27-2012, 12:14
Just take your best shot at it, it's really fun! After winning the thing two Challenges ago my most recent entry didn't get a single vote, it happens. It's all in the fun of playing and giving it a try.

Welcome!

I am in too. I always want to participate but never think my stuff is good enough.. I am hoping I can muster up the courage to submit a picture to this. :o

drewbarb
11-27-2012, 12:38
Sounds like fun- I'm in!

CosmicCharlie
11-28-2012, 15:39
I am in! this is my first participation in a rff event.

kdemas
11-28-2012, 15:43
Glad to see you both taking part!

kdemas
11-28-2012, 15:44
Glad to see you both taking part! Welcome :)

jcrutcher
11-28-2012, 15:49
Sunny warm Phoenix Arizona,

I'm in!

Jim

Nicolai
11-28-2012, 15:59
Dark and cold Norway,

Im in too ;)

kdemas
11-28-2012, 16:23
Sunny warm Phoenix Arizona, I'm in! Jim

Jim- I'd love to see some shots with one of the old Hektors on the MM. Glad you're taking part!

Nicolai- I look forward to seeing some chilly scenes!

back alley
11-28-2012, 16:55
is there an official sign up?

or just shoot and post?

kdemas
11-28-2012, 17:33
is there an official sign up?

or just shoot and post?

Joe,

No sign up required. I will post a link to a submission form I've developed for uploading the entry and providing needed info.

Kent

back alley
11-28-2012, 17:35
thanks kent.
if it's not -40 then i'll be shooting too!

kdemas
11-28-2012, 17:54
thanks kent.
if it's not -40 then i'll be shooting too!

Superb! If it is -40 you can shoot shivering people from the comfort of a window ;)

kdemas
12-01-2012, 07:36
Time is flying by, only two weeks until the competition shooting window opens! Have you decided where you'll be shooting and what you'll be using?

As for me, I'll be wearing out the sidewalks in San Francisco carrying a....

Not sure on the camera quite yet.

So two weeks left to decide. Mark your calendars!

ampguy
12-01-2012, 22:26
probably my last roll of portra 400 (will convert to b/w), with Nikon F3, and 105/2.5 lens.

Could change though ... 2 weeks is a long time for these kinds of decisions ;)

Time is flying by, only two weeks until the competition shooting window opens! Have you decided where you'll be shooting and what you'll be using?

As for me, I'll be wearing out the sidewalks in San Francisco carrying a....

Not sure on the camera quite yet.

So two weeks left to decide. Mark your calendars!

kdemas
12-01-2012, 22:28
probably my last roll of portra 400 (will convert to b/w), with Nikon F3, and 105/2.5 lens.

Could change though ... 2 weeks is a long time for these kinds of decisions ;)

Nice choices all the way around Ted. My F3 may be on duty as well but with a 45/2.8P attached.

Alowisney
12-07-2012, 09:14
I'm in! Thank you so much for putting this on! HUGE thanks to those donating prizes!

Katie
12-07-2012, 10:17
Texas - I'm in!

Vics
12-07-2012, 10:45
I'm in for this round. Thanks for all your work!

kdemas
12-07-2012, 10:56
Thanks to all of you for participating... that's what makes this so much fun.

kdemas
12-08-2012, 13:46
One week until the Challenge begins!

paulfish4570
12-08-2012, 17:48
yeppies. creeping up quickly ...

Jake06
12-09-2012, 08:33
Can't wait, what a great excuse to get up off of one's behind and go out shooting!

gb hill
12-09-2012, 09:04
I was thinking all the way up to friday this was the weekend of the Decisive Challenge. This head cold I have is really thrown me for a loop.:confused: I should be well by next Saturday.:D

kdemas
12-09-2012, 09:22
Hope you're feeling better soon!

I was thinking all the way up to friday this was the weekend of the Decisive Challenge. This head cold I have is really thrown me for a loop.:confused: I should be well by next Saturday.:D

gb hill
12-09-2012, 09:33
Hope you're feeling better soon!

I am feeling much better. thanks Kent!:) Glad I have one week to decide what camera & what film I want to shoot. Right now my Bessa is loaded with neopan 1600 which may be a good film to use.

varchs
12-09-2012, 10:09
I will give it a try as well!
I am thinking of a film/day and selecting the best of them for the submission...

I have just posted the blog webpage at my local photo-club's fb page...

Let the streets be full of cameras!!! ;-)

kdemas
12-09-2012, 10:22
I will give it a try as well!
I am thinking of a film/day and selecting the best of them for the submission...

I have just posted the blog webpage at my local photo-club's fb page...

Let the streets be full of cameras!!! ;-)

Excellent And thanks for including the Challenge on your club page!

kdemas
12-09-2012, 10:28
As for Facebook we have a Decisive Challenge page there as well. Feel free to "Like" it if you have a moment.

Also, for Twitter fans follow us: @DecisiveHCB
Use hash tag #WinterDC2012

varchs
12-09-2012, 11:12
...also posted in a popular greek photography forum!!! ;-)
I think the most interesting thing in this challenge is to have a glimpse of street life of the world during this specific weekend...!

kdemas
12-09-2012, 11:47
That's my favorite aspect as well. It's a big world, and a small one at the same time. Seeing many places at one point in time is quite fun.

I think the most interesting thing in this challenge is to have a glimpse of street life of the world during this specific weekend...!

fixedfocallife
12-09-2012, 23:08
Hey guys, my first post on the forum... I found this through the decisive challenge site... Im in all the way from Melbourne Australia... Any other Australians?

varchs
12-10-2012, 06:13
I have just realised that the forum's calendar does not work... too sad it would be perfect for this and other events like this...

kdemas
12-10-2012, 06:43
Welcome to RFF and I'm glad you'll be participating in the Challenge. There are a fair number of Australians active on RFF, I'm sure you'll run across them.

Good luck in the Challenge!

Kent

Hey guys, my first post on the forum... I found this through the decisive challenge site... Im in all the way from Melbourne Australia... Any other Australians?

Jake06
12-13-2012, 04:43
Excellent, there's riots forecast for this weekend in Belfast... I'll try my best nevertheless.

kdemas
12-13-2012, 07:53
Excellent, there's riots forecast for this weekend in Belfast... I'll try my best nevertheless.

Stay safe but there certainly might become interesting shots in and around town. Glad you're taking part!

kdemas
12-13-2012, 13:55
Saturday is right around the corner, almost time to shoot. I'm still a little up in the air as to what I'll be shooting.

One thing is for sure, I'll have both a digital and film camera with me.

kdemas
12-13-2012, 14:01
A quick note:

Submission will be done via a form on Decisive Challenge that will make sure nobody has an entry lost in the email void and that all required info is there. It's going to be very easy, feel free to have a look and let me know if you see any issues.

Feel free to try it (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/enter-decisive-challenge.html) (it will work so go ahead. I will throw away all entries that occur before the submission period begins Dec 16th).

ampguy
12-13-2012, 16:15
300k file size limit?

icebear
12-13-2012, 17:00
A quick note:

Submission will be done via a form on Decisive Challenge that will make sure nobody has an entry lost in the email void and that all required info is there. It's going to be very easy, feel free to have a look and let me know if you see any issues.

Feel free to try it (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/enter-decisive-challenge.html) (it will work so go ahead. I will throw away all entries that occur before the submission period begins Dec 16th).

Hi kdemas,

I didn't actually submit anything to try if it works but the form is pretty straight forward, I think.
Thanks a lot for putting all this effort in. I'll be shooting in NYC on Saturday.

The file size limit should be ok, we have 200k limit for the RFF gallery, so this should be sufficient for online viewing and voting similar to our weekly gallery picks.
Hopefully we have a lot of participants.

kdemas
12-13-2012, 22:53
Good luck with your shooting. We should have the biggest entry list yet and with quite a few international entrants. I'm anxious to see what everyone discovers out in the streets.

Kent

Hi kdemas,

I didn't actually submit anything to try if it works but the form is pretty straight forward, I think.
Thanks a lot for putting all this effort in. I'll be shooting in NYC on Saturday.

The file size limit should be ok, we have 200k limit for the RFF gallery, so this should be sufficient for online viewing and voting similar to our weekly gallery picks.
Hopefully we have a lot of participants.

Jamie Pillers
12-13-2012, 23:27
Saturday is right around the corner, almost time to shoot. I'm still a little up in the air as to what I'll be shooting.

One thing is for sure, I'll have both a digital and film camera with me.

KENT?? Come on... one camera with a 50! This is a celebration of HCB after all. :)

kdemas
12-14-2012, 11:04
Yup Ted, 300k.

300k file size limit?

kdemas
12-14-2012, 11:06
Actually Jamie most, if not all, of my shooting tomorrow will be with a single camera and near 50mm lens. The others are just there for something specialized or for when I hit brain freeze and need to be jolted into a different shooting frame of mind :D

KENT?? Come on... one camera with a 50! This is a celebration of HCB after all. :)

kdemas
12-15-2012, 05:30
December 15th has arrived iand it means that The Decisive Challenge Winter Edition 2012 is here! You have until Midnight on Sunday (Dec 16th) *to do your shooting.*

Very few rules but these are the biggies:
- Submitted image must be shot Dec 15th or 16th, no exceptions please.
- Image must be in B&W (toning such as sepia is fine)
- Maximum dimensions are 1200px on the longest side
- Max file size is 300k
- No sharing of the image, watermarking or naming of any kind is allowed. We want the entries to be anonymous. File naming must not give away he photographer either.*

You can submit your entry any time after Dec 15th until Jan 10th. For full rules visit:*http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/the-rules-how-to-submit-your-entry.html

Get out there and have some fun! Use your keen eye to find that one great image!

ntruj
12-15-2012, 05:58
I'm in.
Sounds like fun.

kdemas
12-15-2012, 08:28
I'm in.
Sounds like fun.

Good news! I'm already out and about snapping away!

Have fun.

lam
12-15-2012, 08:57
Oh this is great, I was just out shooting today and can submit to this.
Great event!

jsrockit
12-15-2012, 12:59
5 hours today, 5 hours tomorrow... hopefully I have something to enter!

kennylovrin
12-15-2012, 13:30
christ! i forgot!! i thought i signed up on the website to get a reminder. ;)
we'll will have to try and produce something tomorrow then. :)

edit:
i just had to pull my only iso400 film out of the camera (took three snaps this morning) beacause i will need it tomorrow afternoon for the challenge, and i only have two more rolls at home of iso100 that i have to use before it for the hours it's still somewhat bright out here. ;) amazing, so unprepared. i like it. haha

rohankent
12-15-2012, 14:36
Well, it was the 15th in Australia yesterday and I happened to shoot a roll in the sleepy local town of Richmond, NSW. So, I'm in! Hopefully I got something interesting.

kdemas
12-15-2012, 15:16
Great stuff guys, good luck with your shooting. Raining here but I'm still trolling!

Brian Legge
12-15-2012, 16:13
Hmm. Not much interesting to photograph in the office. :\ Spending the weekend working to make up for taking a few days off next week. Odd how that works.

kdemas
12-15-2012, 16:24
Hmm. Not much interesting to photograph in the office. :\ Spending the weekend working to make up for taking a few days off next week. Odd how that works.

Maybe your trip home will provide some opportunities Brian!

stratcat
12-16-2012, 13:20
Ok, this time I was able to make it. I shot 4 and a half rolls today... there MUST be SOMETHING in them worth submitting! Thanks for organizing another round! Now I have to develop and scan before Jan 10....

Vics
12-16-2012, 13:25
The weather has shut me down this weekend. Bummer.

rhl-oregon
12-16-2012, 13:27
Rain rain rain in Oregon. Yesterday I got some indoor public-event work done. If the weather keeps up, though, I may wait until tonight and load 3200 into Kent's ex-M5 (which I am loving) and RF645 to seek something decisive (or indecisive--why not? it's what humans do) that does not, however, involve drunken participants.

kdemas
12-16-2012, 14:04
Rain rain rain in Oregon. Yesterday I got some indoor public-event work done. If the weather keeps up, though, I may wait until tonight and load 3200 into Kent's ex-M5 (which I am loving) and RF645 to seek something decisive (or indecisive--why not? it's what humans do) that does not, however, involve drunken participants.

Give it a good workout Robert! Glad you like it, that camera has some good Mojo!

Have fun! Raining here too but I'm out and about.

mmork
12-16-2012, 14:16
Cold rain and melting snow in Berlin. The question was - how to do street photography when theres no-one on the street? ;-)

Letīs see whether there was something worth submitting on the role I shot...

Markus

PS: M5 + Summicron 50 + ISO 400 Formapan was the tool for the task

Jake06
12-16-2012, 14:45
Can't help but feel like I got nothing :(
Oh well, the proof is in the developing...

gb hill
12-16-2012, 15:00
Rainy today but I think I did better than yesterday. I think that I will wait & develop during the holiday. One thing I learned shooting in this challenge is I need to learn to focus more quickly.

kdemas
12-16-2012, 15:03
My day was better than yesterday, or so I think! You never know till you're at home and eyeball them.

It's a tough thing to take this type of shot during a constrained timeframe. Hard for everyone.

Just submit your fav and we'll see how it compares to everyone else's best effort.

At least the rain let up a hair here.

Ezzie
12-16-2012, 15:03
Well, I got off half a roll yesterday, not that the weather was much help, snow, fog and overcast. Will just have to see.

paulfish4570
12-16-2012, 17:00
no joy here. 13 hours of a high school wrestling tournament yesterday. steady rain today. not a frame exposed on a street anywhere. best to the rest of y'all ...

CaptZoom
12-16-2012, 20:07
Weather sealing would've come in handy this weekend;(
Good luck to ya'll.
Looking forward to seeing your entries.

kdemas
12-16-2012, 22:09
We're almost at the end of the shooting window for the Challenge. If you're on the West Coast you can still sneak out and give it a shot for a couple more hours!

What a fun couple of days.

jane7l
12-16-2012, 23:36
met with some photo friends yesterday and had some shots, sadly nothing to write home about. weather was cooperative, overcast, later foggy and not too cold. i guess i'll upload something.

kdemas
12-16-2012, 23:48
met with some photo friends yesterday and had some shots, sadly nothing to write home about. weather was cooperative, overcast, later foggy and not too cold. i guess i'll upload something.

I hope you enter your fav. Glad you gave it a shot.

vrgard
12-17-2012, 00:13
Sorry I can't participate this time. I'm immobilized by a messed up knee and am now scheduled for surgery on Wednesday. But I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's efforts.

-Randy

Dave S.
12-17-2012, 00:21
Just got back from shooting. Saturday was a bust for me, but tonight I was able to shoot from about 9pm to 11:55pm. Lots of full aperture and slow shutter speeds! Hopefully, I'll have something that's not to blurry from camera shake or subjects moving (unless of course it "works" for the photo :D). Looking forward to having the film processed...

kdemas
12-17-2012, 08:10
Just got back from shooting. Saturday was a bust for me, but tonight I was able to shoot from about 9pm to 11:55pm. Lots of full aperture and slow shutter speeds! Hopefully, I'll have something that's not to blurry from camera shake or subjects moving (unless of course it "works" for the photo :D). Looking forward to having the film processed...

Sometimes blurry can be old as well. Glad you could take part!

kdemas
12-17-2012, 08:36
When you're ready to upload your image all you have to do is go to the following page and submit your entry.

SUBMIT YOUR DECISIVE CHALLENGE ENTRY HERE (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/enter-decisive-challenge.html?RFF).

Choose your image file on the computer.
Fill out a couple of info fields.
Click the button that says "Enter the Challenge" and you're DONE!

We already see some nice images coming in, should be a great collection for us all to review in January. Entry deadline is January 10th.

zauhar
12-17-2012, 08:49
I shot the roller derby yesterday. I may not have a decisive moment, but I do have images of hot chicks that old HCB himself would surely appreciate!

(I mean the chicks of course, not necessarily the photos.)

I think going out with the idea of collecting a decisive moment may actually make it harder to attain. Sort of like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the more you try to nail something down the more it slips away ...

Randy

kdemas
12-17-2012, 09:27
I think going out with the idea of collecting a decisive moment may actually make it harder to attain. Sort of like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the more you try to nail something down the more it slips away ...

Randy,

That's so true and that's what makes it really kind of a difficult Challenge. That said the HCB connection and the "decisive moment" shouldn't be taken too far in relation to this endeavor. It's a street shooting challenge, pure and simple. I'd hate to have 50 submissions of people jumping over puddles.

It's about your style of street, I suppose the biggest "homage" connection to HCB is the requirement for B&W submissions.

So....bring on the "chick pics" ;)

bonatto
12-17-2012, 15:21
Can't wait to see this year's submissions! Thanks for organizing this!

kdemas
12-17-2012, 15:27
My pleasure. The real fun for me is seeing all the different scenes our participants capture, always fascinating.

Can't wait to see this year's submissions! Thanks for organizing this!

kdemas
12-17-2012, 22:52
Sorry I can't participate this time. I'm immobilized by a messed up knee and am now scheduled for surgery on Wednesday. But I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's efforts.

-Randy

The lengths people will go to to avoid entering a contest, sheesh! ;)

I hope you feel better Randy! Knees are no fun when they're on the blink.

Kent

jsrockit
12-18-2012, 04:45
Got something that fits the contest on Saturday, but I keep PPing it back and forth (lighter /darker, more contrast, less contrast) trying to get it perfect... lol, somehow I feel there is no perfect. :)

kdemas
12-18-2012, 08:09
Got something that fits the contest on Saturday, but I keep PPing it back and forth (lighter /darker, more contrast, less contrast) trying to get it perfect... lol, somehow I feel there is no perfect. :)

I'm doing the exact same thing! I've come to realize that what might be "perfect" for my eyes might not be for someone else. In the end I'll produce one that pleases me and let the chips fall where they may.

Look forward to seeing your entry included in the Challenge!

jsrockit
12-18-2012, 08:57
Look forward to seeing your entry included in the Challenge!

Likewise, and thanks for setting it up.

icebear
12-18-2012, 10:06
Here some shots which didn't make my cut for the contest :
My final selection is not done yet but just to make sure I don't go back to these ones, I post them here, so they are out of competition.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/6650/U6650I1355850566.SEQ.0.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/6650/U6650I1355850568.SEQ.0.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/6650/U6650I1355850563.SEQ.0.jpg

kdemas
12-18-2012, 10:28
Here some shots which didn't make my cut for the contest :
My final selection is not done yet but just to make sure I don't go back to these ones, I post them here, so they are out of competition.

Very cool. I like the tonality of "The Wright" a lot.

We'll have a "ones that didn't make the cut" thread after as well, always fun to see what people left on the cutting room floor :)

icebear
12-18-2012, 10:38
Very cool. I like the tonality of "The Wright" a lot.

We'll have a "ones that didn't make the cut" thread after as well, always fun to see what people left on the cutting room floor :)

Lol, ok I'll hold on to more "cutting room floor" clean up until you open that thread;).

kdemas
12-18-2012, 11:02
Feel free to post them if you like, not trying to be the posting police. It's just kind of fun to see them all in one place later on :)

To me the hardest part of all this is choosing between a few candidates which I like for differing reasons...trying to guess which might resonate with a viewer more dramatically. In the last challenge, I guessed wrong. It happens.

Lol, ok I'll hold on to more "cutting room floor" clean up until you open that thread;).

Jake06
01-11-2013, 18:39
My 'cutting room floor' shots can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacobmorrow/sets/72157632495842365/

:)