PDA

View Full Version : what would YOU do?

back alley
10-17-2005, 11:28
this coming january, the provincial government of alberta is giving every man, woman and child currently living in the province a cheque for $400. (cdn).
it's an oil thing...

so, i'm thinking about toys.

what would you do?

and i'm not really interested in anything too responsible.

jan normandale
10-17-2005, 11:32
this coming january, the provincial government of alberta is giving every man, woman and child currently living in the province a cheque for $400. (cdn).
it's an oil thing...

what would you do?

buy four tanks of gas? joke

Joe , wanted you to know I used my valuable 1000th post for this hot tip!

JoeFriday
10-17-2005, 11:34
every man, woman and CHILD? so, a household of 5 will get $2000?

JoeFriday
10-17-2005, 11:35
*golf clap*

back alley
10-17-2005, 11:35
every man, woman and CHILD? so, a household of 5 will get $2000?

yep!

i wish sugar had done her taxes last year...;)

joe

rover
10-17-2005, 11:40
Not bad at all.

I am thinking a weekend trip to a dog friendly Inn where you can take Sugar to be the main subject in a photo essey.

back alley
10-17-2005, 11:42

i am honoured!

and welcome to the one thousand club!!

joe

cp_ste.croix
10-17-2005, 11:43
What would I do? Donate to a have-not province like BC, for which I will be the representative.

In all honesty, if I had the gear list that you do, I might spend the money on an opportunity for photos, like a trip to Banff, or something simmilar.

Honu-Hugger
10-17-2005, 11:44
I like a nice body, but I've always been a lens man...

lynn
10-17-2005, 11:46
I'm thinking, I'm thinking....
But I have just about everything my heart desires at the moment: as of yesterday even the last two "toys" on my wishlist - unexpectedly, and for well under the amount of your windfall. :-)
I might treat myself to a long weekend away, somewhere spectacularly photogenic....Paris, maybe? Or Venice! What would be the equivalent where you are?

kiev4a
10-17-2005, 11:48
That's not a joke :bang:

back alley
10-17-2005, 11:49
i drive a mazda so that would be 10 tanks of gas for me.

joe

bmattock
10-17-2005, 11:54
it's an oil thing...

what would you do?

Jack Daniels and Coke. Carton of cigarettes. Full tank of gas. And a pair of cheap sunglasses.

Then, point the car due south and keep going until the wheels are buried in salt water.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

JoeFriday
10-17-2005, 11:56
that would be about 3 miles north of New Orleans :D

bmattock
10-17-2005, 11:58
Well, maybe not quite that far, then.

BJ Bignell
10-17-2005, 11:58
I voted for film and chemicals. You have too many undeveloped films, slowly losing their magic to the ravages of time and cosmic x-rays. God knows what wonders one might uncover in there! If you develop all of your films (or at least a good portion of them), I'll print them for a very reasonable fee - once I get back and have my darkroom set up. Deal?

I would also support using the money to go to Banff or Jasper for a weekend. It'd be a nice break, and the fresh mountain air will do you good.

jan normandale
10-17-2005, 12:00
I'm with Bill, cheap sunglasses for sure..

Dave H
10-17-2005, 12:15
somebody said sometime, "wine, women and song, then waste the rest" . Sounds about right. (take pictures while I'm doing it all though!)

oftheherd
10-17-2005, 12:29
CRS has reared its ugly head again. But I remember something in another thread about a photographic challenge issued to you, and this would perhaps be a chance to engage in that.

What the heck was it?

Oh yeah! I remember some of it. Something about red hair and blue eyes captured on film (why would somebody suggest capturing it there only? :rolleyes: ). Oh well ...

Actually, I would consider which would make you most happy. I suspect either a chance to develop film, or a chance to expose more. I think I recall you mentioning you were satisfied with you current supply of cameras and lenses. That would seem to leave development or exposure of more film. Perhaps a trip as mentioned by several. But, perhaps someplace you have wanted to go but haven't had a chance to get to yet. Don't drive unless it is close or you are truely in good enough health to do so without tiring.

Good luck on the decision!

Kin Lau
10-17-2005, 12:36
Jack Daniels and Coke. Carton of cigarettes. Full tank of gas. And a pair of cheap sunglasses.

Don't think the 1st three will be on the list for Joe for a while.

Film & chemicals. Problem is, $400- isn't enough to get you a week in somewhere warm.

taffer
10-17-2005, 12:38
Yeah, the trip is also my advice, that or inviting your closest friends to a dinner in your favorite place :)

Even though they may have those $400 per head as well :P

back alley
10-17-2005, 12:39
well, the cheque will be coming in january and i sure as hell hope i'm feeling much better by then!

i really don't need any more gear but i would like to get another 35mm lens, just cause.

not big on travelling...have 3 good working bodies already...it would be nice to have my film storage containers full again.
i'm happy with my little canon film scanner...maybe a printer...

i'm glad i have till january to decide....

joe

Doug
10-17-2005, 12:47
I'd say to either set it aside to help pay your tax bill later, or blow it all on a trip to Banff or Jasper as BJ suggested, where you can use up some film and relax in the lap of luxury. :)

kmack
10-17-2005, 13:24
Salt it away for a rainy day.
You never know when that mint condition /** [ -- insert variable here -- ] */ will show up.

Hektor
10-17-2005, 13:35
I don't know exactly how much $400 canadian is, (brit) but when I was poorly 4 or 5 years ago I joined a local gym. It was run by old amateur boxers and got support from local government for re-hab of folks who had cardio problems, - the members are nice folks, we get on well, both sexes, mostly over 50 with a few youngsters to liven it up.

Best 200 quid I ever spent !, after 6 months I could walk 6 miles without stopping !

Regards to you and sugar Joe,

p.s. how did your doctor meeting go ?

Gabriel M.A.
10-17-2005, 13:40
I would send it payable to: Gabriel M. Aguirre ;)

j/k -- I think I would use it to buy savings bonds (I don't know if in Canada there are similar financial instruments). Wait a year, help your government pay its bills (I hear that the canadian government actually spends for government infrastructure!) have it pay you again (Capitalism is quite interesting, ain't it?) on its payment to you, even if it's peanuts for peanuts, and during that time you've probably made a better list.

RayPA
10-17-2005, 13:44
Other...

a demo-unit photo printer
a big ol' external firewire HD (on sale and rebated)
Luigi case and/or strap

(that's what I got [waiting on Luigi] with my last windfall... :angel: )

:)

KoNickon
10-17-2005, 14:09
Joe, I just happened to read an article in the NY Times about the oil sands exploration that's producing the windfall. I have no intention of laying any sort of guilt trip on you or any other Albertan, but the pollution being caused by this extraction process is pretty alarming. Keep an eye on things and ask questions -- it's your land that's being affected.

That said, I'd suggest you use your payment as mad money -- consider trying something different. Do you have any medium format gear? That amount would buy you a very nice older Rolleiflex, or one of the original Mamiya 645 bodies with a lens (or two) and metered finder.

Kin Lau
10-17-2005, 14:34
That said, I'd suggest you use your payment as mad money -- consider trying something different. Do you have any medium format gear? That amount would buy you a very nice older Rolleiflex, or one of the original Mamiya 645 bodies with a lens (or two) and metered finder.

Hahahah.... do a search on "YashicaMat" and "Joe" :bang:

KoNickon
10-17-2005, 15:26
Ah -- I'm showing my lack of experience on this forum. Anyway, I didn't suggest a YashicaMat, nice usable cameras though they may be.

TPPhotog
10-17-2005, 15:31
My vote is for film and chemicals. You need to keep those beauties fed and in racing condition ;)

Hektor
10-17-2005, 16:12
Maybe a CLA on a nice old camera that you wouldn't otherwise spend the money on ?

Kin Lau
10-17-2005, 16:20
Ah -- I'm showing my lack of experience on this forum. Anyway, I didn't suggest a YashicaMat, nice usable cameras though they may be.

No, but if you found the thread, you'd realize Joe tried TLR's and didn't like them... quite funny if you get to read it.

He's also not an SLR type of guy either. A Mamiya 6 would be right up his alley tho.

back alley
10-17-2005, 16:28
yeah, that tlr thing was my own mini disaster, just did not like the feel of it.

400 bucks is just enough to get the blood movin' but not enough to do something BIG with.
btw that's about $340 u.s. dollars.

my canons are in great shape, no need for cla...my lenses maybe...

joe

maybe a better winter coat so i can shoot at -40c...hhhmmm

FrankS
10-17-2005, 16:31
Fast cars, liquor, and loose women!

zpuskas
10-17-2005, 17:43
Save half (for future spending of course) and use the rest for film, paper and chemicals.

ch1
10-17-2005, 17:45
It's "found money", right?

I'd "blow" half of it on a camera "whim" like the film and chemicals and use the other half to buy Lottery tickets.

Who knows?

Maybe it'll "leverage" to much more on a game of chance?

FrankS
10-17-2005, 17:54
Bet money on the Maple Leafs. :)

Bertram2
10-17-2005, 18:05

Not surprised ! :D Serious ? I'd spent the money for a photo trip to a nice place where i can shoot and shoot and shoot...........
Best,
bertram

Bertram2
10-17-2005, 18:07
Fast cars, liquor, and loose women!

He said 400 ! Not 400.000 !! :D

ch1
10-17-2005, 18:21
He said 400 ! Not 400.000 !! :D

If he puts half into the lotto - he might wind up with $400,000 +++.

Although, more'n likely he'll wind up with "nada"

But Joe did say it's "crazy money".

RayPA
10-17-2005, 18:40
Bet money on the Maple Leafs. :)

or on the Sox. ;)

:)

simonankor
10-17-2005, 18:46
Spend it all shipping your Canon gear to me :angel:

GeneW
10-17-2005, 18:50
Conservative me would spend it buying classic books on photography... Elliott Erwitt, etc.

Gene

SolaresLarrave
10-17-2005, 19:04
A trip, definitely, to a place where your Canon P shutters will be really happy! :)

Kin Lau
10-17-2005, 19:05
Here's another thought.... $400- should buy Joe a year's worth of high speed internet access with change left over for Tri-X & Diafine.

back alley
10-17-2005, 19:34
already have cable internet, plenty fast!

books, hhmmm...

pvdhaar
10-18-2005, 00:10
I'd say, go on a trip and trip that shutter..

Frank Granovski
10-26-2005, 03:08
Back Alley, take a trip to Banff and shoot the people and scenery. The Aspen motel is a cheap but nice place to stay. It's off season so $400 should be enough, unless you're going to check out the bar scene. I don't like Jasper. :bang:

Brian Sweeney
10-26-2005, 03:37
Joe,

Why spend it on something fleeting when you can get a Canon P?

Or a VI-L.

back alley
10-26-2005, 08:36
i thought about another camera body but i really don't need another one, not to use anyway. then i thought about another lens and i am still thinking about that one...maybe the 28/2.8 and sell my 28/3.5. or the 50/1.5 just because i want to see how the pics look.
or if i were to feel really ambitious maybe sell/buy/trade so that my lenses were all 40mm filter size, though i think people who do that sort of thing just have waaay too much time on their hands ;)
or maybe very expensive wrist straps..

thank goodness there is lots of time to think this out.

joe

JoeFriday
10-26-2005, 08:39
or maybe very expensive wrist straps..
yeah, don't those kinda people just annoy the hell outta you?!

back alley
10-26-2005, 08:44
i was serious man!
i like those straps and depending on my mood i could just change them out.
i get the luigi starps, they are adjustable but they leica on them...eeewww

joe

djon
10-26-2005, 11:39
I'd leave the house for a long walk somewhere I'd never spent much time before and I'd shoot a few rolls of film. Then I'd come home and process it and print it on some nice new inkjet paper that I'd never tried before...13X19.

JoeFriday
10-26-2005, 11:54
I'd buy a GPS receiver then join the geocaching website.. you'd be amazed the places you'll discover.. even local spots that you never knew existed

rbiemer
10-27-2005, 08:34
I wnet through some thing like this, joe, and you may recall what I chose-- but since you've said you're happy with the gear you have, I suggested film and chemicals.
A bunch of film that you now use and like AND a bunch of different film than you would normally even consider. Maybe IR film and a filter?
Oh, wait, you said "nothing too serious"... a tatoo! Yeah, the Canon P embazoned on the body part of your choice! Being lovingly held by a green eyed red-head. :D
You've got 'til January to decide exactly which 35mm lens should be on the camera.
If you place the tatoo correctly, you could even have a RF zoom lens...(sorry, I couldn't help myself :rolleyes: )
Rob

back alley
10-27-2005, 08:42
well, i already have some ink on me...:)

joe

rbiemer
10-27-2005, 09:09
An other idea occurs to me(warning: HERESY ): what about a sattelite radio?
I'm giving myself one for Christmas this year and what your getting is just about the same as what I'll be spending. I want the "walkman" type radio as it will serve me best(home, work, and car and NO extra equiptment needed) but there are several cheaper choices and the service gets fairly cheap if you buy a year or more at a time.
The local radio here is a wasteland of the same crap over and over and over...and ther is almost zero news so the sattelite will hekp keep me sane(ish) with all kinds of music, all the US network news(not such a big deal) and the BBC is there--I can rely less on my short wave radio. I've decided on the XM system as best for me. you'd have to check to see about coverage--no XM in Alaska and Hawaii--not sure about where you are. Just a thought.
Rob

TimF
10-29-2005, 04:28
Move to Alberta for the pay-out I guess! :D

Its only 191 in UKP, but as the ads say, "every little helps"

RObert Budding
10-29-2005, 04:43
All of the above! I've just purchased a new body and 3 lenses. So now I need more film!

And Lynn, a trip sounds fantastic. But the equivalent to Paris, for those of us in the US, is Paris. There is no other place like it on Earth!

Robert