PDA

View Full Version : How Many Photogs/Chessplayers?

Peter
10-16-2005, 08:47
Dear Friends,

Just out of curiosity. I have a few photography and painter friends here in Singapore who are also chess enthusiasts. I am wondering if there is a correlation between visual art forms and the love for mental fencing?

Regards,
Peter

foon
10-16-2005, 09:16
I like chess but no enthusiat. I enjoyed physical fencing too.

DougK
10-16-2005, 09:34
I used to play chess a fair bit, but I wasn't then and am not now a very good player. I also used to fence in college... again, not very good but I had a lot of fun.

cp_ste.croix
10-16-2005, 09:41
i enjoy chess, but don't play very often. A sadistic friend bought me a shot glass chess set for my birhtday the other day. We filled pawns with my grandfathers home made creme de menth and the back row with cheap rye.

I lost pretty badly.

please excuse the shots, they were taken with my gf's p&s.

Biber
10-16-2005, 10:27
I prefer go now, but I played chess a lot when I was younger.

bobofish
10-16-2005, 16:03
I'm a very avid chess player, but these days I don't have anybody to play with, so I mostly play on my cell phone, which is a very poor substitute indeed. Instead of mental fencing, I have to deal with the stupid computer's complete predictability and bloodthirstiness.

bobofish
10-16-2005, 16:05
By the way, Biber, are there any online tutorials for Go? I've wanted to learn for years, but I'm too lazy to go by a book. (pun?)

hoot
10-16-2005, 16:29
Same here; used to play chess more often, but prefer Go now; it's much cooler. I still play chess with my pupils.

Biber
10-16-2005, 17:33
Bobofish;
http://playgo.to/interactive/
http://gobase.org/
http://www.goproblems.com/
http://senseis.xmp.net/
http://www.telgo.com/

This site is great if you want to play with other people online:
http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/

bobofish
10-16-2005, 18:39
Thanks Biber, I'll check it out. For some reason, I never was able to find anything via google or yahoo, etc.

CleverName
10-16-2005, 19:16
I used to play quite a bit. I had a USFC rating around 1400, with a speed chess rating just over 1600 (go figure). I played in a few tournaments and actually got a draw from a Master once, but I've also lost winning positions against 9 year old girls.
I'd kinda reached a plateau, and didn't have the time for study and practice.

djon
10-16-2005, 22:20
I don't like games. Easily bored.

I do traditional archery (wooden bows, wooden arrows) and hike, play gypsy jazz guitar (very badly).

nomade
10-16-2005, 23:44
I love chess, but rarely find someone to play with for more than once/year...Everyone seems tog et bored of it, and i hate online games..

But i love it still..

pvdhaar
10-17-2005, 02:12
No, I'm not a chessplayer. I do like to watch a game though. It's just that I'm so bad at it..

hoot
10-17-2005, 03:43
I do traditional archery (wooden bows, wooden arrows)
I heard somewhere that HCB read a book called "Zen in the Art of Archery" while he was getting into photography as a young man. I have since read it myself, and it's astounding how similar photography and archery are.

djon
10-17-2005, 09:40
Zen and the Art of Archery by Eugene Herringill is a very popular book among literate traditional bow hunters. Possibly even better for photographers is his Book of Tea, which has to do with quiet, care, precision, simplicity...

Peter
10-18-2005, 07:01
I personally think the intense concentration during a chess game helps in developing observation skills in photography. As for Zen, there is Zen in all human endeavours. The quiet contemplation in chess is applicable in photography. In fact, I play chess best when there is no thought of winning or losing and just concentrate on the centre of the board and develop the pieces quickly. It is with the same type of mindset that I adopt when I do street-photography. By the way, if you guys want a game, you could go to www.gameknot.com for correspondence chess. :)

Peter
10-18-2005, 07:20
I forgot to add. My nick is Voigtlander! :)

bobofish
10-18-2005, 07:36
As of about 5 minutes ago, I am a member of gameknot. Of course under the humble name of bobofish. At the moment I'm too tired to start a game, but soon!

GeneW
05-16-2006, 10:48
I played chess often when I was younger and still love the elegance of the game. I don't play often now, but still enjoy the occasional game. I'm a duffer.

Gene

Finder
05-18-2006, 04:43
Well, Western chess is fun. I like to play the suicide version from time to time. Chinese and Korean chess are interesting, but they never caught my imagination to really pusue them. My favorite chess is the Japanese variant, Shogi. The end game in particular is really interesting, much more so than in Western chess. There are books of end game puzzles that are very popular which require the player to continually check the king until mate. Since captured pieces can be brought back into play all 40 pieces are in play at all times (20 pieces per side). The pieces are the same color, but are pointed so they can indicate which side they belong to. It is also played on a 9x9 board.

PeterL
06-05-2006, 16:57
When mentioned in good company, the subject of chess quickly changes to go. RFF is not an exception, it seems. :)

Peter.

Third
06-05-2006, 17:46
Classical chess in various time controls for me. I am an avid correspondence player, and play in local clubs when I can.

I'm a less-than-terrific photog though.

I like both photography and chess, but am not very good at either.

narsuitus
07-11-2006, 21:49
Love chess and other games of military strategy

PlantedTao
07-11-2006, 22:56
It is the best board game ever created!
I use to play chess often, but know I have no one to play with and only pick up an occasional game (every blue moon) at a coffe shop or park. I love it...especially timed. I'm sure my skills have deteriorated :(
I will have to check out gameknot.com

Thanks ya'll
Jason

rogue_designer
09-02-2006, 12:22
I used to play chess - but switched over to Go a few years ago. :D

Magus
09-07-2006, 12:40
Post deleted by posters request

AlanS
09-07-2006, 12:53
I used to play many years ago with a club player I worked with. But you move on and I just drifted out of it....terrific game though.

ampguy
09-07-2006, 13:55
I'm not a good player or anything, but play with the kids. My son invented a variation that involves the use of playing cards to let you move more spaces at a time, making the game a little more exciting. We call it "Super Chess"

SolaresLarrave
10-03-2006, 18:38
I'm not good, but and I don't have anyone to play with but myself. At times, when I couldn't sleep, I used to play against myself. I picked the whites and the blacks won. If I picked the blacks, then the whites gave me a whipping.

I must be good... but then, I'm probably a pretty poor player.

anandi
10-03-2006, 19:03
Yup, love chess, not great, keep meaning to pick up a 'classic grandmaster games' book and read up on offence and defence strategies, but 2 kids get in the way. Bonus is that my 4 year old daughter really likes it and at least knows the player moves and can play more or less a whole short game. The cool thing is that she has started thinking ahead one move which I don't do in everyday life often. Like board games too - german type (Settlers of Catan, Tikal, Metro/Iron Horse etc.) even invented an entire game a couple of years ago including hundred of hours of playtesting. Long answer to a short question I guess.

mauro scacco
12-04-2006, 13:28
I am an expert chess player with FIDE elo rating about 2100 , and also a good bridge player ...
Mauro

Richard Black
01-10-2007, 04:52
I learned from my father when I was 10-11 and I don't think my game has improved much since. I love to play, I'm just not that good.:o

ampguy
01-10-2007, 09:25
we have evolved it into "super chess" adding the use of playing cards, as well as variants like super deluxe chess, and super chess 2.0.

Keith
01-11-2007, 06:45
As a child I was a pretty good chess player and played occasionally as an adult. I taught my ten year old son to play chess .... and six months later he wiped me off the board. I never won another game from then on! :D

ICU
01-11-2007, 06:46
I used to play quite a bit when I was growing up and with my girls when they were younger. Oer current game obsession is Settlers of Catan.

Rico
01-12-2007, 00:48
I wrote a chess program that played for awhile on the Net (mainly FICS). It was at least 400 points stronger than I - a bit frustrating. :)

mjflory
01-12-2007, 00:54
Go seems certainly more interesting visually (though the chess pieces can be great little works of art). For me the interesting difference bewteen chess and go was that in go I found I could stumble through a half-competent opening using a sense of visual composition, looking for balance but avoiding overly mechanical symmetry -- almost like composing a photograph.

-- Michael

_mark__
12-20-2009, 09:05
My computer regularly beats me, so I box.

user237428934
12-20-2009, 09:20
Know the rules, for me it's a boring game. The only one-on-one game I play is backgammon.

gb hill
12-20-2009, 10:10
I played back in my teens, taught my son to play the game but we haven't played fro a long time. I have a computer chess program around here somewhere. I'll have to dig it up during the holidays.

chris00nj
12-20-2009, 18:45
Yes, I've been playing since I was 5. I've played in a number of tournaments off and on over the years.

Something about the mix of art and science are similar. I guess that is why I am also drawn to mechanical cameras and don't rely fully on a computer for exposure and focus.

sepiareverb
12-21-2009, 17:00
I was expecting a "does it take to screw in a lightbulb" joke :(.

fixed point
12-21-2009, 17:31
Don't play chess, but I do play go. I was around 15k a few years ago, but haven't played very often since then.