PDA

View Full Version : Seven rolls of film in seven days starts now!

Keith
07-01-2012, 06:36
This is day one ... good luck everyone and I hope this is a success for all who have decided to take the plunge and accept the challenge.

For the rules see this thread (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120721).

michaelbialecki
07-01-2012, 06:39
already started first thing this morning mate......

cheers, michael

johannielscom
07-01-2012, 06:43
Thanks, Keith!

I'll start shooting tomorrow and finish up next Monday.

Will have some interesting activities:

Tuesday: Last day of the high school year and my last day as a high school teacher, my daughter leaves for a week in Berlin
Wednesday: meeting with one of the cities Council members on a project concerning education and photography
Thursday: a day of street shooting and brew-sampling with my friend Derk
Friday: Graduation ceremony at my high school
Monday: an evening visit to conclude the high school year at my daughters high school.

astro8
07-01-2012, 06:43
.........:eek:

ReeRay
07-01-2012, 06:46
Just got back from a days shooting with my recently CLA'd Rollei TLR and 2 rolls of Acros about to go in the bath.

Mark A. Fisher
07-01-2012, 07:25
I have seven different cameras loaded with seven different types of film sitting on my work table, waiting to be chosen. I'm starting today, but haven't decided which camera to take first, or what my destination might be.

Good shooting everyone, and enjoy the day. This is going to be a great deal of fun!

Mark

Keith
07-01-2012, 07:30
I think the advantage of starting early is that if you have a disaster and miss a day potentialy you have the time to have a second bite at the cherry.

I'm planning to start tuesday but haven't completely made the decision about cameras or film yet ... I think tuesday, wednesday and thursday are going to be MF and maybe back to 135 after that!

astro8
07-01-2012, 07:35
I'm waiting on a pen-ft in the mail...hoping to make one of the days a 72 shot day....maybe I'll just take photos of my feet.:o

Keith
07-01-2012, 07:40
I'm waiting on a pen-ft in the mail...hoping to make one of the days a 72 shot day....maybe I'll just be take photos of my feet.:o

If I decide to use my Pentax 67ii for the entire seven days I'll have taken less less shots than you will have taken in one day with the half frame! :p

I think if anyone shoots the entire thing with a half frame they'll truly deserve the bravery award. :D

johannielscom
07-01-2012, 08:04
My kind of award for the mantle piece but I haven't got a half frame...

:p

everythingy
07-01-2012, 08:15
Not sure that I can enter this but last weekend I took 14 rolls in 3 days.

Spend too much time at work (indoors) to get a roll done every workday.

raathistle
07-01-2012, 08:15
I'm hoping to go for the exact opposite and try for 7 days of large format. I've got a couple of extra days off next week as well, so trying to think of 14 good shots of where I live. Unfortunately the weather doesn't appear to be co-operating with my plan to make it an Astia week though. Large expanses of pure white skies for me today :(

Mark A. Fisher
07-01-2012, 08:16
First camera has been chosen - the Mamiya 7II. We are in the midst of a massive heat wave - it's been at least 105F the past 3 days, with another 7 days of 100+ temps staring us in the face - so I'm going to ease in to this with the camera that gives me only 10 shots on a roll. So I'm taking my time, staying hydrated, and trying to find shady areas!

Time to head out the door, 7II in hand!

m

randolph45
07-01-2012, 08:33
Good morning all
Will be starting today with only a roll of 24/135:eek:
I still haven't picked the camera/lens yet for today.
Yesterdays mail from Japan brought me a beautiful Canon A1 which needs a battery and will be used this week sometime:)
Have some fun out there:)

Randy T

Tom A
07-01-2012, 08:53
Picked camera - M6 Millennium and Nokton 40f1.4 SC as I will be shooting Acros 100 and it can be a bit contrasty so the SC helps control that. Seven tolls lined up - numbered 1 to 7. Very organized , which should last about 15 minutes - going by past experience.
I will process all 7 rolls at the end of the week and then edit, rather than doing a daily "tally". A bit stressful to go out with only one camera/one roll - but good for the brain. Every shot has to count!

Summicronj
07-01-2012, 09:06
I'm game. I'll be doing the large format variant. Need to get back into shooting my 4x5 and this will be a good way to do it.

johannielscom
07-01-2012, 10:26
Same here Tom, I'm saving them up for two-batch development too. Helps to cut any variations across the board in developing, since I tend to be a bit sloppy at times...:o

Next Tuesday is bath-day! ;)

ricnak
07-01-2012, 14:56
I'm still waiting for mail. Expecting a film camera and a film holder for the scanner in the next week. Sharp learning curve coming up. New camera, new to developing and scanning.

Ron (Netherlands)
07-01-2012, 15:38
This is day one ... [/URL].

???? pity I missed this one..., when was this posted ?:D

gavinlg
07-01-2012, 16:02
School holidays at work at the moment, so looks like I'll be starting this challenge towards the end of this month. it'd be nice if I could get a 35mm planar for my contax in time - I'm getting a bit weary of going between 28mm and 45mm and feeling it's either too long or too short!

ricnak
07-01-2012, 16:37
This project is a good excuse to give in to GAS.

randolph45
07-01-2012, 18:02
???? pity I missed this one..., when was this posted ?:D

Ron it's still open to you :)
Just pick seven consecutive days in July to shoot one roll of film per day.check the thread(seven rolls in seven days...the rules)

P.S. ONE ROLL DOWN SIX TO GO:)

michaelbialecki
07-01-2012, 18:28
A bit stressful to go out with only one camera/one roll - but good for the brain. Every shot has to count!

Hello Tom, That's the hard part for me the "one roll".....I usually only work with one camera so not much new there.....but when I left my house yesterday with JUST ONE ROLL I was a bit "nervous"......but I guess that's why I decided to participate in this....have fun everybody...

cheers, michael

paulfish4570
07-01-2012, 19:45
my week may start july 14. still musing ...

Chrisrw
07-04-2012, 18:09
Happy July 4th!
I just completed my first roll this afternoon!
Kentmere 100/24 exp, just thought I'd put this last roll behind me.
I plan to complete the next 6 days with HP5+/36 exp with my Bessa R2/Jupiter 8. I have plenty of the HP5+ now and more on the way. Found another great deal on it and I really want to become familiar with it as I plan to use it for my upcoming trips this fall to Mexico, NYC and the OSF in Ashland.
Good luck to all!

jcrutcher
07-04-2012, 19:37
My first roll is shot, M7, 400 Portra, 21mm summilux..

Tomorrow Rolleiflex 2.8c Fuji 160ns

Friday Barnack "O" not decided on the film

That's all I have planned for now.

Mark A. Fisher
07-04-2012, 20:30
Just shot my 4th roll on the 4th of July! Took my F100 with a roll of HP5+ to the local 4th of July parade. Sunday I shot my Mamiya 7II, Monday was the Ansco Speedex, yesterday was the Nikon N90s with expired HIE IR film. Tomorrow? The Leica IIIC, but I'm not sure of the film just yet. This has been an excellent process for me, despite record heat wave in our area this past week, and the same is forecast for the next 3 or 4 days. It has gotten me shooting some cameras I haven't used for awhile, and has forced me to go beyond my comfort zone weather-wise.

Thanks for the challenge Keith!

Mark

TXForester
07-04-2012, 20:39
Two rolls down. The first in the OM2s with 50mm f1.8. The second in a camera I haven't tried till today (fingers crossed). Olympus 35 EC.

I put batteries in the 35 EC2 this evening for day three, but it is locked up. I can't fire the shutter or advance the film. So, day three will be the 35 RC.

paulfish4570
07-04-2012, 21:11
the middle of the month will be my week ...

jcrutcher
07-06-2012, 09:30
Day 3 Barnack O with Efke 25

johannielscom
07-06-2012, 14:07
So far:

Monday Kodak Pro100
Tuesday RolleiRetro100
Wednesday Kodak Pro100
Thursday Kodak Pro100 (2 rolls actually, street shooting)
Friday Kodak Pro100
Saturday planning Tmax400 or RolleiRetro100
Sunday not sure yet

Shot with the M2 + Summilux 35/1.4 + Super-Angulon 21/3.4 + Zeiss-block Jupiter-9.

I'm having fun in this project!

Tom A
07-06-2012, 14:32
I am on roll 6 today. Everything shot with Leica MP and Nokton 40f1.4 SC. To make my life even more difficult - I decided on subjects like July 1 - crowds, July 2nd dogs (roll was finished by noon!!!!), roll 3 was boarded up shop-fronts as a "signs of the time", roll 4 was cafe's within walking distance of where we live -easy as Vancouver is a caffein addicted city - and got 23-24 different ones! Roll 5 was more "loose" shots - beach with the sun ( a bit of a novelty so far this year). Today will be Chinatown and maybe the night market there (a bit of a challenge as I am also only shooting Acros 100). Tomorrow is undecided so far.
It is a bit nerve wracking to have a roll finished at mid afternoon - and then you keep seeing more pictures! Great project though - and good for discipline too. Sunday should be processing time - most likely Beutler 1:10 for 7 min.

ruby.monkey
07-06-2012, 14:36
This time around I'm letting my little Fujica GS645 strut its stuff. I'm currently scanning rolls one and two; three and four are in the tank as I type; five is on the shelf, waiting for the next batch; and six and seven are waiting to be shot.

Happy days. :)

zauhar
07-06-2012, 14:37
Glad to see you fine gentlemen already in the saddle!

My goal is to start 15 July, by which time I will have finished processing images from our Europe trip, and finished my course of antibiotics!

Randy

kdemas
07-06-2012, 14:48
I'll be starting either tonight or tomorrow. Shooting some with APS (Contax Tix and Leica C11) for the first two days so I have to fire those off first so they can go out for processing. The rest will be 35mm and some 120.

Should be interesting!

Mark A. Fisher
07-06-2012, 17:45
So far:

Sunday - Mamiya 7II, 100 Acros
Monday - Ansco Speedex, Ilford PanF 50
Tuesday - Nikon N90s, expired (2001) Kodak HIE Infrared
Wednesday - Nikon F100, Ilford HP5+
Thursday - Leica IIIC, Velvia 50
Today - YashicaMat 124G, 220 Provia 100
Tomorrow - Last Day, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/16 - Velvia 100

Great Fun! Lotta negatives to browse thru to boil down to the final 3! I'm hoping I have 3 keepers in there somewhere, if I'm lucky!

Mark

Timmyjoe
07-07-2012, 06:57
Looks like everyone is off to a good start. Hope to start today or tomorrow.

Just one quick question, reading Tom's post and a few others, I hear folks talking about only being allowed to shoot one roll per day. My understanding is there is no restriction on how much film you shoot each day, just that you can only shoot one roll each day for this particular project. Is that correct? There's no restriction on how much film you can shoot daily otherwise, right? Because I'm gonna have days in the next week where I will be shooting much more than one roll of film (for work, etc.), but I am dedicating one roll per day to this project. Am I reading something wrong?

Thanks for any and all info on this.

Best,
-Tim

paulfish4570
07-07-2012, 07:04
i think you have a correct reading ...

jcrutcher
07-07-2012, 07:29
Today (sat 7-7) it's M7 with 35mm cron asph, Kodak px125

michaelbialecki
07-07-2012, 07:44
It is a bit nerve wracking to have a roll finished at mid afternoon - and then you keep seeing more pictures! Great project though - and good for discipline too.

I finished my 7th roll today.....and I agree with Tom A about finishing a roll and then seeing more photos throughout the day......it was frustrating for me

but oh well, I agreed to partake in this project and I can proudly say that I am finished with it now....I will get 4 rolls back from the lab tomorrow and the other 3 rolls back in the next couple of days......

I used my M6ttl with a couple of different lenses, I used Kodak Pro Image 100 throughout the whole project.....I tried to shoot "different" things and and I tried to challenge myself....I hope my efforts show through in the photos.......

A question for you Keith, are you going to start a thread where we can post our 3 "best images"? I will be ready in the next couple of days to share my images with the other members on this forum....

I learned a lot from doing this and I will share my experiences when I get my photos back and see the results (but I sort of already know what the photos are going to look like)....but then again, there are always those "surprise photos" that make me happy......

cheers, michael

randolph45
07-07-2012, 09:34
I am on roll 6 today. Everything shot with Leica MP and Nokton 40f1.4 SC. To make my life even more difficult - I decided on subjects like July 1 - crowds, July 2nd dogs (roll was finished by noon!!!!), roll 3 was boarded up shop-fronts as a "signs of the time", roll 4 was cafe's within walking distance of where we live -easy as Vancouver is a caffein addicted city - and got 23-24 different ones! Roll 5 was more "loose" shots - beach with the sun ( a bit of a novelty so far this year). Today will be Chinatown and maybe the night market there (a bit of a challenge as I am also only shooting Acros 100). Tomorrow is undecided so far.
It is a bit nerve wracking to have a roll finished at mid afternoon - and then you keep seeing more pictures! Great project though - and good for discipline too. Sunday should be processing time - most likely Beutler 1:10 for 7 min.

Tom
I like your method of picking a subject to shoot for the day:) Wish I'd thought of that,my shooting has been all over the place with no set idea.

My variation has been a diffrent camera/lens combination each day. Two of the camera/lens combos are new to me so will see how that works out:)

print44
07-07-2012, 09:50
I agree - the daily theme sounds like a good idea.

Day 1 here: CL & 40 Cron-C & TMX400. Untypical family day - my parents are visiting. I've shot 20 of 36 exposures & trying to keep enough back for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow's a birthday party for my youngest - that work will probably go digital, but the M4P has a roll of TMX100 and the F2 a roll of Acros in wait...

jcrutcher
07-07-2012, 20:54
Ok tomorrow Day 5 for me will be interesting.

Leica IIIG with 8.5CM Summarex with Delta 400.. fun!

kdemas
07-07-2012, 21:10
The Summarex is a terrific lens, unique signature. Have fun with it Jim!

Another Summarex plus...you get a workout carrying it around. Quite the beast, beautifully finished.

Ok tomorrow Day 5 for me will be interesting.

Leica IIIG with 8.5CM Summarex with Delta 400.. fun!

randolph45
07-07-2012, 22:18
Finished my last roll today using M6/40mm 1.4:D

astro8
07-08-2012, 02:11
Well...in preparation for this project, yesterday I learnt to load a cassette from a bulk roll, shoot an M2 and then develop & scan. All with varying degrees of success.

The film is an unknown quantity. It was in an old bulk loader I found on ebay. I shot it as 400 but since developing it, I've deduced it must be either 100 or 50iso as the negatives were nearly black.

All good fun though!

Man, have I got a lot to learn....

gilpen123
07-08-2012, 03:10
I'm a bit slow, just finished 1 roll M2 and Neopan 400.

StefanJozef
07-08-2012, 03:14
I'll start this next weekend, probably 15th July. I'm only working three days that week. Looking forward to it. Stefan

Chrisrw
07-08-2012, 20:24
Five down, two more to go. I've been shooting with the same camera, lens and film through out the week and will continue with them for the last two days. I want to get more familiar with my R2 which I almost sold and the Jupiter 8 which I recently acquired. Experimenting with the same three elements under varying conditions will hopefully allow me to put them through their paces and understand their limitations. Since this is all new to me I hope to learn as much as possible, rather than trying to capture the perfect shot.

jcrutcher
07-08-2012, 20:41
5 down also..

Tomorrow it's a Rollei 4X4 loaded with Efke 100

Tuesday Day 7 is M5 with HP5 rated at 800 iso, 90 mm summicron ASPH

Sparrow
07-09-2012, 01:06
Well I've marked 7 rolls, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday .... etc. and will probably start later this week, I just need to remember which day it is then

freeranger
07-10-2012, 13:14
Done 2:
Monday: Zeiss Ikon and portra 160
Today: minolta xd7 and portra again
Tomorrow: Ektar and ...decisions, decisions. This is a great challenge to give all those neglected cameras a run out. Erm...om2

Mark A. Fisher
07-10-2012, 13:37
Just got the film back from the lab. Now the real challenge begins. On cursory inspection I'm pleased with some of the results, not so much with others.

Time will tell...

Chrisrw
07-10-2012, 20:57
Finished my 7th roll today. All HP5/Bessa R2/Jupiter 8. Thought about switching it up but wanted to really get into this set up thoroughly. Will take to a lab here in Seattle for developing as I've not done much myself other than a handful of rolls in caffenol, which actually turned out well, but I'd like to see how this Jupiter 8 works as I haven't tested it yet. I don't want my own experimental errors in development to adversely affect any issues it may have.

TXForester
07-10-2012, 21:13
Finished seventh roll yesterday. One camera was locked up, so I used another camera twice. Other than that, it was a different Olympus camera each day.

I did learn that if you wait till the last hour before sunset, and set off on bicycle to shoot rural scenes and you are stuck shooting only from the roadside (limits your compositions in each spot), you get a heck of a workout trying to find enough to shoot before it gets dark. :)

Tom A
07-10-2012, 21:24
Finished processing, drying and "neg filing" all 7 rolls. Scanned 9 shots from each roll (so far 4 rolls) on Flickr for editing. I use flickr as my contact sheet, Subjects so far, Day 1 crowds, day 2 dogs, day 3 Signs of time (papered over store fronts, and roll 4 cafe's. Do the rest tomorrow and thursday. Great fun and a bit of a challenge - great idea Keith.
The Nokton 40f1.4 is the perfect lens for this type of project - sharp, fast when needed and easy to use. Only missed one shot that I did when I thought it was a 35 - not a 40 (on roll 7).

kokoshawnuff
07-10-2012, 21:26
I shot 4 rolls starting on the 2nd, then completely forgot and have only shot about 30 frames since. I'll try my hand at it again later in the month.

Keith
07-10-2012, 22:22
I shot 4 rolls starting on the 2nd, then completely forgot and have only shot about 30 frames since. I'll try my hand at it again later in the month.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this! I powered through the first two days with my Pentax 67ii ... switched to 135 and lost the plot a day or two later!

I'm now thinking about going LF and starting from scratch on the 16th or 17th. :p

ruby.monkey
07-10-2012, 23:34
Seven rolls shot, developed, and scanned; now I have to edit and process the photos. I may start by picking my favourite couple of shots from each roll and whittling them down from there.

Thank FSM for the GS645's pocketability - the English weather hasn't been too kind to cameras. Serves me right for shooting during the Wimbledon fortnight.

jcrutcher
07-12-2012, 09:31
Keith,

I just realized I may have screwed up. I shot a roll of 127 in a Rollei 4x4, I don't see 127 as one of the available films, is this correct?

Jim

paulfish4570
07-12-2012, 09:39
i don't think keith would mind, would you keith?

randolph45
07-12-2012, 09:42
Keith,

I just realized I may have screwed up. I shot a roll of 127 in a Rollei 4x4, I don't see 127 as one of the available films, is this correct?

Jim

The rules said film so you should be just fine:)

paulfish4570
07-12-2012, 10:15
i will start my week on sunday, i think. some 24-exposure rolls of arista-premium arrived from freestyle this week. kit at this moment will be om-1n, plus zuiko 50/1.8 and zuiko 28/2.8. i may tote my konica SIII, as well.

Keith
07-13-2012, 03:16
Keith,

Jim

I thought about including that size but kind of figured that people would realise that it's fine ... any film is ok really.

michaelbialecki
07-13-2012, 04:00
Hey Keith, is there a thread where we can post our 3 favorite images and talk about our experiences yet?

cheers, michael

Keith
07-13-2012, 04:21
Hey Keith, is there a thread where we can post our 3 favorite images and talk about our experiences yet?

cheers, michael

Not yet Michael ... I'll be kicking that off at the beginning of next month. I want to allow the people who decide to use the last seven days of the shooting period a chance to catch up with the early starters regarding processing etc.

Keith
07-13-2012, 04:24
I'm really impressed at how many RFFers have jumped in on this challenge! :)

michaelbialecki
07-13-2012, 04:30
ok, that's cool......I understand......thanks for the reply

cheers, michael

sleepyhead
07-13-2012, 04:48
Keith, sorry if I've missed something, but I've read the rules on the link you gave, but I don't see anywhere where it says that one is limited to only 1 roll per day.

Are you participants sticking to that?

Keith
07-13-2012, 05:04
Keith, sorry if I've missed something, but I've read the rules on the link you gave, but I don't see anywhere where it says that one is limited to only 1 roll per day.

Are you participants sticking to that?

I never mentioned a maximum roll per day restriction so technically I guess people can over shoot if they choose.

Though ... I noted that Tom was initially concerned about how he was going to restrict himself to one roll per day so I guess he read it that way! :D

michaelbialecki
07-13-2012, 05:12
I never mentioned a maximum roll per day restriction so technically I guess people can over shoot if they choose.

Though ... I noted that Tom was initially concerned about how he was going to restrict himself to one roll per day so I guess he read it that way! :D

Oh heck Keith......I thought it was limited to one roll a day, and that is what I did (I was thinking the same as Tom A).......but hell, I would of shot differently if I knew I could of used more than one roll a day......oh well......I am already finished and I am happy with what I learned....

cheers, michael

Keith
07-13-2012, 05:19
Oh heck Keith......I thought it was limited to one roll a day, and that is what I did (I was thinking the same as Tom A).......but hell, I would of shot differently if I knew I could of used more than one roll a day......oh well......I am already finished and I am happy with what I learned....

cheers, michael

It never occured to me to actually verbalise such a restriction ... I figured the 'one roll per day' would make that clear.

We have a technical loop hole here ... Tom will be very disappointed! :D

print44
07-13-2012, 05:21
So- it's been pretty straightforward. Shot my last film yesterday (tri-x in a Moscow-5) then realised today is my last day! Picked up the F2 on the way out this morning and a roll of tmax100. It was raining hard so I reasoned the f2 might be more weatherproof than my m4p or the rolleiflex I'd used for a couple of the days. Shot a nice portrait this morning, then hours later thought- did I ever actually load the nikon? Nope, film still in my bag. So change of plan- this afternoon another roll in the 'flex. Seven days is longer than you'd think!

print44
07-13-2012, 05:25
And I chose to make it one roll per day- it evens out as some days I might only shoot three or four.

michaelbialecki
07-13-2012, 05:35
'one roll per day' :D

yeah, that is the way I read it too......anyways, it was a good idea from you mate.....so let's just wait and see the outcome and what other rff members learned from participating in this interesting project.....

cheers, michael

sojournerphoto
07-13-2012, 05:39
I'm hoping to do this, but as I only have contact print facilities at the moment it will be a couple of sheets per day. May be 5 by4 or 7 by5 film with a lens or may be 7 by5 or 10 by 8 paper with a 'pinhole'.

Who knows what will happen and what time I'll have.

Of course, I could just shoot some 35mm and send it off for processing...

sleepyhead
07-13-2012, 06:58
It never occured to me to actually verbalise such a restriction ... I figured the 'one roll per day' would make that clear.

We have a technical loop hole here ... Tom will be very disappointed! :D

I think a limit to one roll a day is a good idea - hopefully that is what most participants will do, and then Tom A. won't feel bad.

Tom A
07-13-2012, 08:06
I did the one roll/day as a self-imposed restriction. Already thinking of doing a second run at it later this month. Another camera, another lens. Kind of like the limitation as you had to "think" a bit about shooting.

michaelbialecki
07-13-2012, 08:19
I did the one roll/day as a self-imposed restriction. Already thinking of doing a second run at it later this month. Another camera, another lens. Kind of like the limitation as you had to "think" a bit about shooting.

lucky you.....I will be traveling around the world starting next week and there is no way I can limit myself again to "one roll a day".........

cheers, michael

jcrutcher
07-13-2012, 08:39
I thought about including that size but kind of figured that people would realise that it's fine ... any film is ok really.

Thank you!

semrich
07-14-2012, 11:29
I shot my 7 days, 1 roll of HP 5 per day from 7/1 to 7/7 and finished developing the last roll today. Glad that's over with, looks like i'll get 3 keepers to post.

barnwulf
07-14-2012, 11:50
I very sorry to say that I have to drop out of this great project that Keith has kicked off on July 1. In Utah we are experiencing a lot of wildfires this summer that can burn for weeks despite a numbers of fire crews battling blazes in the mountains. Our valley has too much smoke in the air for me to spend much time out of doors much since I have asthma. I am looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts. Happy shooting everyone. - Jim

Tom A
07-14-2012, 15:33
lucky you.....I will be traveling around the world starting next week and there is no way I can limit myself again to "one roll a day".........

cheers, michael

Micheal, i hope you dont expect sympathy for not being able to partake! If I "had" to travel around the world - I think I would have dropped out too. On the other hand - you are going to have to post a lot of pictures from that trip - otherwise we will think that you just chicken'd out!

michaelbialecki
07-14-2012, 17:55
Micheal, i hope you dont expect sympathy for not being able to partake! If I "had" to travel around the world - I think I would have dropped out too. On the other hand - you are going to have to post a lot of pictures from that trip - otherwise we will think that you just chicken'd out!

hahaha, no sympathy expected Tom, but being away from Bangkok (South-East Asia) for a couple of months will be a little "difficult"......I will be meeting up with some rff members in some different cities, so not only will I have some photographic proof of my trip, I will have some "witnesses" too....haha

I wish I could make it up to see you in Canada and spend a day talking,learning and listening to all of the interesting things that you know...

cheers, michael

Tom A
07-14-2012, 18:28
Micheal, sounds like a great trip - where are your travels taking you?

michaelbialecki
07-14-2012, 20:36
Micheal, sounds like a great trip - where are your travels taking you?

Hello Tom, l'll be visiting many cities on the west coast and on the east coast of the U.S.

I'll also be traveling around the Caribbean Islands and I am hoping to get to Cuba as well. (still working out the details)

And I'll also be going to Mexico as well.

It's going to be a lot different than my usual photo trips around Asia, and I'm looking forward to it.....

Cheers, michael

And yes , I'll post some images once I get back to Bangkok and get everything organized

zauhar
07-15-2012, 11:24
It's a miserable, hot, sticky day in Philadelphia, but I shot my first roll - day 1.

I will be using a IIIf throughout, and Arista Premium (Tri-X) each day.

Today I shot for the first time with my "new" collapsible summicron, which I bought from a fellow RFFer.

Randy

paulfish4570
07-15-2012, 15:35
michael, you still could do the project. just mark your first roll of the day each day for seven days of the prioject. that is what sharpies are for. :)

oh yeah, i started my first roll this morning. got 3-4 shots left ...

michaelbialecki
07-15-2012, 18:59
michael, you still could do the project. just mark your first roll of the day each day for seven days of the prioject. that is what sharpies are for. :)

oh yeah, i started my first roll this morning. got 3-4 shots left ...

Thanks Paul.....I already did and finished this project ...I started on July 1st and a shot one roll a day for 7 days......it was difficult because once I finished a roll, I would "see" more photos throughout the day, but I didn't have any other film with me.......

it was a good project and I did learn some things and I got some cool results.....but for this upcoming trip (2 months on the road), there is no way I am going to limit the amount of film that I will be shooting.......

cheers, michael

raid
07-15-2012, 19:40
I thought at first that I could participate here, but my work is too much right now. Enjoy the project.

print44
07-16-2012, 08:27
What are peoples plans re posting their images? I know there's the 3 image from the 7 days forum coming in August, but are you guys going to post in your individual galleries prior to that? Or in the Gallery? Will that spoil the surprise?

Mark A. Fisher
07-16-2012, 12:46
For me, I'm going to wait 'til Keith sets up the link next month. I'm in the process of redoing my own web site, so I don't have anyplace to go with any pictures for awhile, except maybe my Flickr account.

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has to share, and I only hope I end up with three shots that are acceptable!

m

paulfish4570
07-16-2012, 15:21
half through with my second day roll. mercy, i think i've only shot 22-23 rolls of film since the first of the year, and now i HAVE to shoot a roll a day. glad i chose 24-exp rolls ... :)

johannielscom
07-16-2012, 15:31
There. I completed mine. Did nine rolls in ten days, missed one day and had to start over.

Now to have them processed, I've been foolish enough to shoot C-41 and will have to cough up the cash to have them processed. I'm on a budget these days now that I'm out of work, that's something new...

I'm trying my best to get them asap and upload my best :)

paulfish4570
07-16-2012, 15:56
bummer, johan. prospects?

astro8
07-17-2012, 07:21
I've just finished my 4th roll. I just squeezed it in before midnight. I'm finding it tough going as I've been working 7am-7pm lately.

This project has made me push myself, get out there and shoot far more experimentally and brazenly than I normally would, which is a good thing.

The M2 is in it's element out on the street with it's looks and quiet shutter. I've been takings pics of police not more than 3-4 feet away and they take no notice.

I'm shooting 36 exp. on the M2 and 72 exp. on the pen-ft.

I figure I must be able to get 3 presentable shots from the volume of frames I'm taking :o

paulfish4570
07-17-2012, 09:47
just finished scanning and editing the first roll. i kept five frames of 26 exposures (24-exp roll). none of 'em will make it to the final cut, i reckon. :(
i will soup the second day roll tonight and scan it tomorrow. gotta get to work shooting today's roll, even though today's light stinks ...

Mark Schretlen
07-17-2012, 11:37
I'm almost finished as I've just loaded roll 7 in my CLE for today. It has been an interesting experience so far as I hadn't realized how digital dependent I have become. Not counting Keith's 7 rolls in 7 days challenge, I don't think I've shot more than a dozen rolls in the past year.

It was also nice to take my recently acquired yard-sale-special through some torture testing. In June I purchased a "new" EOS 7s (and lens) for less than the price of a roll of film and some batteries. It even has retro-futuristic eye-control autofocus.

I also found a bit of irony in the fact that my film camera (EOS 7s) got mistaken for digital and my digital (M8) got mistaken for analogue during the 7 day challenge. I got thoroughly razzed after taking a few informal shots of family members who could not check out the results on a tiny LCD screen :)

zauhar
07-17-2012, 11:43
As I was walking and shooting along twelve blocks of Market Street yesterday in 95 F heat, it finally dawned on me that only someone from Down Under would have set a July time frame for this challenge. ;-)

I agree with comments above that this is a challenging and very worthwhile project.

Randy

ricnak
07-17-2012, 14:28
I am starting today with the Hexar RF and 24mm. It is a miserable day - overcast and raining.

paulfish4570
07-18-2012, 15:56
just finished scanning and editing my second roll. i figure eight candidates out of the roll. gotta soup the third roll tonight, and finish shooting the fourth roll. tomorrow is a big travel day, maybe seven hours of driving. not much time for shooting the fifth roll ...

Keith
07-18-2012, 16:01
just finished scanning and editing my second roll. i figure eight candidates out of the roll. gotta soup the third roll tonight, and finish shooting the fourth roll. tomorrow is a big travel day, maybe seven hours of driving. not much time for shooting the fifth roll ...

Photography under pressure! :D

I'm thinking now of kicking off on the 21st ... no margin for apathy there! :p

Peter_wrote:
07-18-2012, 16:18
aargh... nice and slowly i should start too... time management isn't my strength.

helenhill
07-18-2012, 18:12
Still haven't gotten around to Doing It yet...and Time is running Out :eek:

paulfish4570
07-18-2012, 18:54
do it, helen, do it!

michaelbialecki
07-18-2012, 19:53
do it, helen, do it!

+ 1.......would love to see some more of your photos

Cheers, michael

Keith
07-18-2012, 23:40
Tick, tick, tick ....... :D

ChrisN
07-19-2012, 00:02
Still haven't gotten around to Doing It yet...and Time is running Out :eek:

Yes, please Helen. Nothing new on your Flickr, and I need a fix of NY through your eyes! :)

zvos1
07-19-2012, 00:46
still on the fence and time is running out fast

Keith
07-19-2012, 00:51
Ok ... I started today. I figured leaving it until the 21st to start was being a little foolhardy.

The first roll of HP5+ (24 exp) is developed and hanging to dry.

Part of my reason for holding off was waiting to get some more Rodinal ... I developed some HP5+ in Xtol last week and wasn't impressed!

Keith
07-19-2012, 00:56
The thread that I'll kick off at the beginning of August is going to be a gem IMO.

I can't wait to hear some of the stories and see all the images.

gilpen123
07-19-2012, 01:46
Oh my 1 roll and 2 rolls partially exposed in my M2 and FM3a. Hopefully this weekend will be 3 and 4 more to go.

SayCheese
07-19-2012, 22:21
I know i'm late in the challenge, i'll start at saturday 21th.
I'm going to shoot TriX exclusively (I might try Rodinal stand development to be more flexible within the roll). I'm going to limit myself to one camera. It's going to be the first week of our family vacation to Denmark, so the development, scanning, editing and upload of the final pictures may take well into August.

Regards, SayCheese

PS if i succeed, i might reward myself by allowing to buy a Leica. If i fail, i tell myself i should just have bought a Leica in the first place :)

Keith
07-19-2012, 23:28
I know i'm late in the challenge, i'll start at saturday 21th.
I'm going to shoot TriX exclusively (I might try Rodinal stand development to be more flexible within the roll). I'm going to limit myself to one camera. It's going to be the first week of our family vacation to Denmark, so the development, scanning, editing and upload of the final pictures may take well into August.

Regards, SayCheese

PS if i succeed, i might reward myself by allowing to buy a Leica. If i fail, i tell myself i should just have bought a Leica in the first place :)

Nahh ... you're not late!

Late is the 23rd ... it's all over by then! :D

Have fun. :)

astro8
07-19-2012, 23:42
Last roll for me tonight!

Now to develop and scan :eek: :confused:

Peter_wrote:
07-20-2012, 11:42
started today and just finished my first roll.

paulfish4570
07-20-2012, 15:58
finished my fifth roll yesterday evening outside hattiesburg, miss., at a convenience store/cafe with a sort of hobo fellow who was glad to sit and talk and let me shoot photos. i gave him a $5 bill for sport. his name is wayne, and he is from the hattiesburg area.
almost done with the sixth roll here in pensacola. no. 7 tomorrow ...

paulfish4570
07-21-2012, 11:43
finished the seventh roll this morning at a farmers marker, with an actual rangefinder camera, to boot - konica sIII ...

Steveh
07-21-2012, 13:14
Started today - good to get the Mamiya 7 out of hibernation. Plenty of portra in my bag for this week.

zauhar
07-21-2012, 17:51
I am finished ... Went to Chinatown today to shoot my last roll - nice overcast day, not too hot.

Can 't deal with more tonight, I will start developing tomorrow.

This has been a great project. Shooting when I didn't have time and/or didn't feel like it, showed me that I can shoot successfully when I don't have time and/or don't feel like it.

Mark A. Fisher
07-21-2012, 20:25
This has been a great project. Shooting when I didn't have time and/or didn't feel like it, showed me that I can shoot successfully when I don't have time and/or don't feel like it.

Well put!

m

paulfish4570
07-23-2012, 11:51
just scanned my third roll. four more to develop and scan. this has been fun. :)

Mark A. Fisher
07-23-2012, 14:47
I still have about 4 rolls to scan - I think. The hard part still will be picking out three that will "pass muster" with the RFF crowd! Tough audience!:D

helenhill
07-23-2012, 14:57
do it, helen, do it!

+ 1.......would love to see some more of your photos

Cheers, michael

Yes, please Helen. Nothing new on your Flickr, and I need a fix of NY through your eyes! :)

Thanks Gentlemen for that Push and that Well Needed Enthusiasm/Encouragement ;)...:D
Greatly Appreciated !!
Started Today first roll done
Arghhhhh....6 more to go :eek:

I either plan way ahead and Conquer My Tasks with Ease
Or the Other Extreme
wait till the Last Moment ...Panic , Push, & Complete

randolph45
07-23-2012, 15:14
Thanks Gentlemen for that Push and that Well Needed Enthusiasm/Encouragement ;)...:D
Greatly Appreciated !!
Started Today first roll done
Arghhhhh....6 more to go :eek:

I either plan way ahead and Conquer My Tasks with Ease
Or the Other Extreme
wait till the Last Moment ...Panic , Push, & Complete

I know that sound and that feeling:) But press on Helen

Keith
07-23-2012, 15:26
I switched to large format a couple of days ago. The positives being it reminded me how much I like that Crown Graphic and how structured using LF is with the sequence of focusing, removing the dark slide after remembering to close the shutter, taking the exposure and remembering to refit the dark slide before removing the film holder.

I'd also forgotten how much pleasure comes from taking a perfectly exposed 4x5 negative out of the Paterson Orbital after washing, hanging it to dry and marveling at the detail held there within!

I'll be curious to see if anyone else has used LF for this project ... or part of it as I have. I suspect Brad Birely may have done so.

MartinP
07-23-2012, 15:41
I'm writing this on the morning of the 24th (ie. the last possible start day) and am now past the work, the walk and the expo-visit so I'd better get my finger out later today. Plus the camera I'd anticipated using has a focussing problem, so I'm still not sure what I'll be using or what will end up on the film. One 10x8 pinhole per day would do it??? Except I'm not that brave, hehehe.

Keith
07-24-2012, 01:15
Note to self:

When shooting LF ... after focusing be sure to close the shutter before fitting a film holder and removing the dark slide! :bang:

MartinP
07-24-2012, 02:04
Note to self:

When shooting LF ... after focusing be sure to close the shutter before fitting a film holder and removing the dark slide!

Everyone does that once, or twice. It gets really annoying only when one doesn't notice at the time, of course!!

Keith
07-24-2012, 02:25
Everyone does that once, or twice. It gets really annoying only when one doesn't notice at the time, of course!!

It only ever happens when someone is chatting to me. (the subject!) At the exact moment I started pulling the slide it dawned on me that the shutter was still open. It was like one of those slow motion car crashes! :p

johannielscom
07-24-2012, 03:17
Keith, until when can we post results?

I'm handing in my rolls this afternoon and will in the weekend pick them up again. Then it's firing up the scanner time for me!

Keith
07-24-2012, 03:22
Keith, until when can we post results?

I'm handing in my rolls this afternoon and will in the weekend pick them up again. Then it's firing up the scanner time for me!

Hi Johan,

I'll start a thread for the results and stories on the 1st of August and the posts and images can start trickling in as people finish their scanning and editing.

This has been great fun from my perspective (though challenging at times) and I think we should do it again next year. :)

gilpen123
07-24-2012, 04:19
Why not next month again? I'm on my 4th roll argh..... 2 weeks of raining does not help. I think I'll have it developed as I may not have the time to do it.

johannielscom
07-24-2012, 04:30
Hi Johan,

I'll start a thread for the results and stories on the 1st of August and the posts and images can start trickling in as people finish their scanning and editing.

This has been great fun from my perspective (though challenging at times) and I think we should do it again next year. :)

Thanks Keith,

both for the brilliant idea and for setting it all up!

I've really enjoyed shooting that much, and feel that I have taken some shots that I usually would have passed up on and which I feel might work out real good. In other words, I've expanded my photographic view and I really like that!

paulfish4570
07-24-2012, 10:46
fourth roll is scanned. fifth and sixth will be developed tonight. i have 25 frames so far that have made the first cut.

jcrutcher
07-24-2012, 17:01
I shot my rolls July 4-10th and have them all in front of me. I had them printed also to help me decide the top 3. It may take 7 days to narrow it down to 3. What's interesting is each day is totally different, i'm not sure if consciously I thought of that. I also noticed that some of my end of day shots that had to be shot to finish a roll are pretty darn good, not sure what that says. This was a fun project and a great learning experience.

Jim

gilpen123
07-24-2012, 18:22
Seriously we should do this more frequent as it helps in promoting use of film again. 2 x year and a grand slam at year end maybe?

Peter_wrote:
07-25-2012, 02:04
oops i'm out. i failed.

paulfish4570
07-25-2012, 15:57
six rolls shot with the om-1n are souped and scanned. 35 frames have made the first cut. seventh roll - shot with my konica sIII - will be souped tonight and scanned tomorrow. i figure five or so will make the first cut. wow, 40 frames to edit down to three. but hey, i was a newspaper editor for 30 years ... :)

ricnak
07-25-2012, 16:55
Oooops ... I shot a roll every day for seven days but I only have 6 rolls of film to develop. I think I am out.

Keith
07-25-2012, 18:13
Oooops ... I shot a roll every day for seven days but I only have 6 rolls of film to develop. I think I am out.

Helen ... if you did actually shoot a roll every day for seven days and have misplaced a roll or just blown a roll totally you haven't failed by the rules I instigated.

A roll shot entirely with the lens cap on (hypothetically) would still be a roll of film used and qualifies by the spirit of what I intended.

It's more about committment and following an ideal than it is about the end result ... image wise. :)

ReeRay
07-25-2012, 18:46
Note to self:

Set the correct ISO (!!!!)

Don't leave the film leader out, easy to reload an exposed film (1 roll dead)

Rewind the film BEFORE opening the back (duh)

Leave the lens cap at home (another roll dead)

I finally got there but It's sure been been a re-learning curve after years on digital.

Keith
07-25-2012, 18:50
Note to self:

Set the correct ISO (!!!!)

Don't leave the film leader out, easy to reload an exposed film (1 roll dead)

Rewind the film BEFORE opening the back (duh)

Leave the lens cap at home (another roll dead)

I finally got there but It's sure been been a re-learning curve after years on digital.

LOL ... sounds like you had a lot of fun!

My biggest gaff was with large format ... and I can do that any time! :D

ReeRay
07-25-2012, 19:17
That was the thing Keith.............IT WAS FUN.

We should do this much more often - every 3 months?

benlees
07-25-2012, 19:25
The bear on the left is me. The one on the right is my decision to use a toy camera. It seems to be winning.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8288/7647573502_3b02f8e5d9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benlees/7647573502/)
rff13 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benlees/7647573502/) by Ben Lees (http://www.flickr.com/people/benlees/), on Flickr

gilpen123
07-25-2012, 22:14
I missed the consecutive 7 days, think I'm disqualified, am I?

ChrisN
07-25-2012, 22:55
I missed the consecutive 7 days, think I'm disqualified, am I?

Perhaps, but you could share with us what you thought of or learned from the experience. I wasn't able to play this round, but I'd like to learn from others, both successes and failures.

shiro_kuro
07-26-2012, 00:13
Thought I would wait towards the end of the month to start .... when things seemingly would be settled down .... well that never happened as I am busy as ever ... timed it so that I will finish on the last day of the month just to add to the pressure ; )

Helen no worries about the missing roll ,I shot an extra roll on your behalf ......

gilpen123
07-26-2012, 00:51
I definitely would., I actually have some initial choices already maybe will land in the gallery instead. I'll still continue to shoot the 7 rolls though disqualified already :bang:. It was a nice experience just like the days when digital was still far away from the horizon. Honestly, I've never tried shooting 7 straight days yet, this is a challenge to me alas I failed to do it. There will always be a 2nd chance, I'll be ready on the next challenge. Good luck guys excited to see the results.

Perhaps, but you could share with us what you thought of or learned from the experience. I wasn't able to play this round, but I'd like to learn from others, both successes and failures.

ricnak
07-26-2012, 01:56
Thank you Oh wonderful Keith (add the bowing down emoticon) for letting me continue. I have spent the day checking the cameras that I have used over last week, somehow thinking that the missing film might magically appear and then had a thought that maybe I have put a film through twice. There is only one camera set up to rewind and leave a bit of film hanging out. I have this awful feeling that I put the film through the point and shoot first and then the xpan - cringe.

paulfish4570
07-26-2012, 04:52
could be some cool shots there ...

Gid
07-26-2012, 05:35
I started on 1st July. Shot my first roll on a beautiful sunny day - canon A1 and Ektar. Day 2 the heavens opened and I managed half a roll of B&W. Rain then stopped play. Acquired a TLR and started again last Friday. Managed to shoot a roll Friday through to Monday. Tuesday had plumbing problem at home post work so that that resulted in no film and Wednesday work pressure resulted in no film. I'll complete the seven rolls through this evening and the weekend, but have failed to achieve the target :mad:. I never thought it would be this hard, particularly as I'm now only trying to shoot 12 frames instead of 36. Congrats to those of you who have or will have achieved this.

ChrisN
07-26-2012, 05:38
Thank you Oh wonderful Keith (add the bowing down emoticon) for letting me continue. I have spent the day checking the cameras that I have used over last week, somehow thinking that the missing film might magically appear and then had a thought that maybe I have put a film through twice. There is only one camera set up to rewind and leave a bit of film hanging out. I have this awful feeling that I put the film through the point and shoot first and then the xpan - cringe.

Actually, that might give you some really cool results. Fingers crossed! :)

paulfish4570
07-26-2012, 08:51
just finished scanning the seventh roll, shot with an actual RF: konica sIII. grossly underexposed half the frames (24-exp roll of ap 400); maybe three first cut keepers among the remaining frames that probably will not make it even close to the top three. that's what i get for trying to shoot "street." good exercise, though ... :) (that is a rueful smile)

paulfish4570
07-29-2012, 12:11
well, the bride DID help me choose. the three finalists are picked. i will sleep on the choices but i am pretty sure they will not change.

Steveh
07-29-2012, 13:00
Shot my 7 rolls (plus one extra) in the Mamiya 7 last week, sending them off to the lab for processing tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

It was great to have a definite project to keep me lugging the 7 up and down hills on holiday - otherwise I would have left it at home on day 2 and stuck with something light and digital!

jcrutcher
08-09-2012, 10:54
I may have missed the answer to this, if so I'm sorry. When will the thread start for us to hightlight our top 3?

Jim

Peter_wrote:
08-09-2012, 11:12
I may have missed the answer to this, if so I'm sorry. When will the thread start for us to hightlight our top 3?

Jim

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122146

jcrutcher
08-09-2012, 21:48
http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122146

Thank you!!