PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Decisive Challenge 2012 - Summer Edition

kdemas
06-17-2012, 14:44
Worldwide “Decisive Challenge” 2012

In the fall of 2010 a group of photographers from around the world participated in the inaugural Decisive Challenge, a competition and tribute to the work of Henri Cartier Bresson. As summer makes it’s way across the Norther Hemisphere it’s time to dust off the street shooting gear and go out to try and capture the “Decisive Moment” once again.

Join with fellow photographers from around the world to create a day where street shooting reigns supreme. Whether you’re in a small town or a major metropolis, do your best and share your skill and “eye” with fellow photographers.

Use any camera you like. Shoot as much, or as little as you like on August 5th. This fun challenge is about the end result, how you get there is your business.

We are going to set up a gathering of our local RFF group for that day as a bit of a nexus for getting lots of people involved in a fun way. I’d love to see regional clubs around the world do the same. In our case we’ll take in the Cindy Sherman exhibit sometime during the day.

If you're planning in participating please let us know here. Having a nice big turnout might help us with sponsors so we can have some goodies for the top vote getters!

When: Sunday August 5th

Where: EVERYWHERE. The challenge itself is a worldwide challenge, open to anyone who wants to capture a “decisive moment” on August 5th. Let's see street work from around the world on one day, this day.

What’s this all about?
On August 5th you will head out into your local city, village or town and try to make HCB proud. Shoot with the spirit of the master and attempt to capture an image that reflects the type of style and subject matter that HCB was known for. Even if you’re not an HCB fan, no matter. Let your own “street” style show through, nobody likes a copy cat!

What are the rules? Not many.

All photos MUST BE TAKEN ON AUGUST 5th.
This is not a limited “one lens, one camera” challenge, instead you can use whatever tool best works for you and take as many pictures as you like. Digital, Analogue, Rangefinder, SLR, Holga, iPhone...whatever you like. HCB used the tools that were right for him, and if he was alive today he would do the same I am sure. It’s about the image and capturing the moment, use whatever allows you to do that.
You have ALL DAY to shoot so you can find the light and conditions that are right for you. It’s the honor system, so an image taken one minute too early or late should not be submitted.
Please submit all photos in Black and White. Well, that’s a nod to HCB and his preferred medium.
Each participant can enter one, and only one, photo. If we do not get enough participation we may expand this to two photos but let’s count on only one.
For fair and unbiased judging please do not include anything that tips off who took the shot. No watermarking or copyrights on photos, no naming that gives away who the photographer is.
IMPORTANT- Pictures should not be shared anywhere before the contest. Anonymity is important for a nice fair vote later on. Any images that have been found anywhere on the web prior to results being posted will be disqualified.

How do we submit our entries?

You will have until midnight on August 20th to submit your entries via email to: [email protected]
Submissions should be no more than 500k and measure no longer than 1200 pixels on the longest side.
Each photo should include the following in the email entry: A title. Submitters Real and Forum name, if you have one. Also please include the forum/site/social media site name you are a member of. Contact information (email) for the submitter so he/she can be notified if they win a prize (if applicable).

Then what?
On August 22nd I will take all submitted photos and post them, in random order and with no names attached, to a site for review. Each photo will have a letter(letters) next to it and you will pick your top 3 and comment in the voting thread.

Voting will be open until midnight August 29th (PST Time). Votes will be tallied and the winner will be announced on August 31st.

Example where photo “x” is your favorite, “F” is your second choice and “A” is your 3rd favorite. You must make 3 selections or the votes will not be counted.:
X-1
F-2
A-3

Prizes...
Well beyond the obvious honor and thrill of winning this event we are working to provide some nice prizes for the top three vote getters. We are currently seeking out sponsors so there is no guarantee at this point of any prizes.

**If you are a merchant or a manufacturer that would like to sponsor or supply a prize please let me know!

Most Importantly... Have Fun!
This event is designed to give shooters of all types, with all different equipment, the chance to participate in a fun challenging competition. Shoot what you want, at the time of day you want, in the light you want. Impress us all and enjoy!

**Note- This challenge is in no way connected to or in association with the Cartier-Bresson family, Foundation or Magnum Photo. This is merely a grass-roots contest in honor of a famous and well-respected photographer and man.

dave lackey
06-17-2012, 15:14
I'm in! Thank you, Kent, for setting this up....:D

tjh
06-17-2012, 15:18
I'm in.

Tom Herbert

kdemas
06-17-2012, 15:34
I'm in! Thank you, Kent, for setting this up....:D

My pleasure Dave! Should be fun.

Warren T.
06-17-2012, 15:57
My wife (Gail T.) and I are in, again! Thanks for organizing this, Kent.

She wants to prove once more, who is the "real" photographer in the family. LOL!

--Warren

kdemas
06-17-2012, 16:08
I look forward to seeing you Warren! Your wife is the "secret weapon" of these competitions!

paulfish4570
06-17-2012, 17:42
i'm in .......

pet905
06-17-2012, 19:11
If I may, I am in......

Pet

kdemas
06-17-2012, 19:17
Welcome aboard Pet and Paul. Tell your friends :)

jhthomasii
06-17-2012, 20:05
sounds like fun. count me in.

tuanvinh2000
06-17-2012, 20:37
count me in :) i'm sure plenty of vancouver RFF members would join

BTMarcais
06-17-2012, 20:43
I'm in.

-Brian

reagan
06-17-2012, 21:53
Any Sunday is a pretty busy day for me. But maybe I can squeeze in an hour or so and I'll make every effort to give it whirl. Sounds like too much fun to pass up.

Calzone
06-18-2012, 06:51
I will be massing the hoards in NYC.

Everyone good luck.

Cal

hteasley
06-18-2012, 07:23
I'm in. I need but the flimsiest excuse to ask the wife for a day out shooting...

Calzone
06-18-2012, 09:16
Kent,

I'm trying to broadcast this event in New York. Could you make a link to my thread titled "Decisive Challenge 2012."

Thanks,

Cal

kdemas
06-18-2012, 14:58
Thanks Cal, done!

RFFers in other regions (Dave Lackey is already on it as well).... consider maybe making this event a get together for your groups. It's great fun.

Kent

Kent,

I'm trying to broadcast this event in New York. Could you make a link to my thread titled "Decisive Challenge 2012."

Thanks,

Cal

johannielscom
06-18-2012, 15:11
Sign me up too.

Thanimal
06-18-2012, 15:22
Worldwide “Decisive Challenge” 2012
Example where photo “x” is your favorite, “F” is your second choice and “A” is your 3rd favorite. You must make 3 selections or the votes will not be counted.:
X-1
F-2
A-3

Surely your choice of letters and numbers is not random.

kdemas
06-18-2012, 15:36
Surely your choice of letters and numbers is not random.

Believe it it not, it was random! Subliminally I must be a bigger gearhead than I even realize :)

Nice catch!

Calzone
06-19-2012, 05:29
Kent,

Thanks for setting this big event up.

I missed last year's event. What kinda response and turnout happened last year. I'm thinking that this year's event could be huge and mucho fun.

Generally John and I shoot every Sunday. Count me in. For me the "decisive moments" just kinda happen by luck and chance, but it seems like I'm always a lucky guy.

Cal

kdemas
06-19-2012, 10:21
We had about 25 or 30 people partake with around 15 actually submitting entries. I'd like this one to be much larger.

It will certainly be fun. As you state those "moments" don't always crop up but if you're alert and a little bit lucky anything can happen!

Kent,

Thanks for setting this big event up.

I missed last year's event. What kinda response and turnout happened last year. I'm thinking that this year's event could be huge and mucho fun.

Generally John and I shoot every Sunday. Count me in. For me the "decisive moments" just kinda happen by luck and chance, but it seems like I'm always a lucky guy.

Cal

Calzone
06-19-2012, 10:26
We had about 25 or 30 people partake with around 15 actually submitting entries. I'd like this one to be much larger.

It will certainly be fun. As you state those "moments" don't always crop up but if you're alert and a little bit lucky anything can happen!

I increase the odds by shooting a lot, but picking a specific day to be lucky is quite the challenge.

Cal

kdemas
06-19-2012, 10:34
I increase the odds by shooting a lot, but picking a specific day to be lucky is quite the challenge.

So true! "Luck" often follows those who are good at what they do...I'm sure you'll be just fine!

seakayaker1
06-19-2012, 11:15
I'll put it on my calendar.

. . . . . but hopefully you will also be bumping up this thread as a reminder for August 5th. On weekends I often do not look at a calendar.

mervynyan
06-19-2012, 18:04
pencil the date-:)

kdemas
06-19-2012, 19:01
I'll put it on my calendar.

. . . . . but hopefully you will also be bumping up this thread as a reminder for August 5th. On weekends I often do not look at a calendar.

I certainly will.

RichW
06-22-2012, 07:21
Im in! Shall pack a bunch of film and trawl the streets of London that day

Richard

kdemas
06-24-2012, 17:38
I was very pleased to hear that a number of members of the streetphotothailand.com community will be joining in the challenge! I have encouraged them to join our fine RFF group as well!

Welcome to the Challenge!

Reminder- Think about making the day of the Challenge, August 5th, a meetup day for your local group. I'm sure there will be lots of stories to be shared after a day of shooting.

kermaier
06-24-2012, 18:09
I'll toss my lens cap in the ring. It's been awhile since I last had a push to turn the camera away from friends and family!
::Ari

mwooten
06-24-2012, 18:12
Please, include me in the WDC 2012 - Summer Edition.

kdemas
06-24-2012, 18:17
Glad you can join in....welcome!

Please, include me in the WDC 2012 - Summer Edition.

gb hill
06-24-2012, 18:42
Dave shot me a PM about this last week. I'm in & representing the SE-Atlanta RFF group.:)

paulfish4570
06-24-2012, 19:17
i'm gonna have to go where there are some people, lots of people, and streets ...

gb hill
06-24-2012, 20:32
i'm gonna have to go where there are some people, lots of people, and streets ...

My town of Lexington is pretty dead on Sunday's. I'm sure we can make something happen somewhere.:)

kdemas
06-25-2012, 14:19
Our friend Dave Lackey was nice enough to post another thread on this Challenge before this thread was created... as such some people have responded there.

Here are some other participants listed in that thread:
Buzzardkid
Dave of course
Coelacanth
Maddoc
hteasley
Jamie Pillars
BTMarcais
tjh
HoodedOne

Keep telling your friends and get your regional clubs involved, this should be a good time!

Kent

brainwood
06-25-2012, 14:30
I signed up to the older thread too. So I'd better say 'count me in' in this thread as well

Chris

kdemas
06-25-2012, 14:35
I signed up to the older thread too. So I'd better say 'count me in' in this thread as well

Chris

I missed your name on the other thread Chris, sorry about that! Welcome!

Mlehrman
06-25-2012, 14:40
Absolutely in! Though I'll probably have "street-shooter's block", or whatever the equivilant of writer's block is called. Sounds like great fun.

Alfasud
06-25-2012, 14:54
Sounds like a great way to spend the day. Now I just have to decide which camera to use.:rolleyes:

victoriapio
06-25-2012, 16:08
Count me in... if it's not so hot it will melt my RF
OC Garza

kdemas
07-05-2012, 10:59
The Decisive Challenge is only one month away, Sunday August 5th! Time flies so make your plans with friends and fellow forum members to make it a great day of shooting.

paulfish4570
07-05-2012, 11:30
put paulfish4570 down ...

Warren T.
07-06-2012, 15:22
quick question, Kent: Do participants have to be RFF members? I have friends who may be interested, but they are not members of any forum. Thanks, Warren.

kdemas
07-06-2012, 19:00
Warren,

There will be some other forums participating too so I'd say no, it's not a requirement. I'm working on what will be done with the voting...I had used the forums previously.

Kent

quick question, Kent: Do participants have to be RFF members? I have friends who may be interested, but they are not members of any forum. Thanks, Warren.

kdemas
07-06-2012, 19:01
...that said I'd encourage them to join up so they can see messaging and notes before and during the Challenge timeframe.

Sylvester
07-06-2012, 19:17
Noted on my calendar too ;)

fotomeow
07-06-2012, 22:44
I'll be there.

Rom
07-06-2012, 22:59
If possible i would like to be in too. It sounds great !

Thanks

SausalitoDog
07-09-2012, 22:00
Kent-

Great idea and thanks for carrying the load. You might want to open a paypal account for the [email protected] account. I don't want to be a sponsor, but would be glad to be a donor...

I won't be in SF but will definitely take a shot at it from afar !!!

Tom

Dave S.
07-10-2012, 00:24
Count me in too. I really enjoyed participating in the last Decisive Challenge and I'm thrilled that you're organizing this event again. Thank You!

-Dave

kdemas
07-10-2012, 13:39
Count me in too. I really enjoyed participating in the last Decisive Challenge and I'm thrilled that you're organizing this event again. Thank You!

-Dave

Great to hear Dave! I look forward to seeing your entry.

kdemas
07-14-2012, 17:25
Working on a website for the Challenge...it will be up in a day!

Join in!

kdemas
07-15-2012, 15:26
Three weeks from today is the day! I hope you can join in.

kdemas
07-22-2012, 08:29
Two weeks and counting!

Where will you be shooting that day? I'll be in San Francisco along with some other RFFers.

Jamie Pillers
07-22-2012, 09:22
Two weeks and counting!

Where will you be shooting that day? I'll be in San Francisco along with some other RFFers.

I plan to be set up down at the local puddle-jumping competition.

kdemas
07-22-2012, 09:57
I plan to be set up down at the local puddle-jumping competition.

Nice choice Jamie :)

SausalitoDog
07-22-2012, 10:53
Two weeks and counting!

Wow, that sounds great - sorry to say, I'll be down in Watsonville tromping around in the sand and weeds for a few days :-)

Have a great time - group shoots sound terrific

Tom

kdemas
07-22-2012, 13:17
Wow, that sounds great - sorry to say, I'll be down in Watsonville tromping around in the sand and weeds for a few days :-)

Have a great time - group shoots sound terrific

Tom

Not sure how much group shooting we'll do but it will be fun to take in the Cindy Sherman show an have a few beers together!

Enjoy the sand and do some shooting down there! The Decisive Moment can be any place :)

kdemas
07-29-2012, 14:55
One week from today!

paulfish4570
07-29-2012, 14:59
yeppie. only one week. i gotta keep sunday from being a travel day. i need to stay kind of in one place with lots of people for this project.

stratcat
07-29-2012, 16:08
Interesting. I'll give it a shot next sunday!

kdemas
07-29-2012, 16:17
Interesting. I'll give it a shot next sunday!

Excellent! Look forward to seeing your work.

gilpen123
07-30-2012, 18:21
Count me in 5 days to go

rich815
07-30-2012, 18:46
I'm bringing my 10 year old son with me to shoot. He'll use my CL with 40/2 Summicron and either some Tri-X or XX!

astro8
07-30-2012, 19:54
Count me in too!

kdemas
07-30-2012, 21:48
I'm bringing my 10 year old son with me to shoot. He'll use my CL with 40/2 Summicron and either some Tri-X or XX!

Terrific! At 10 he might win the youngest participant title :)

paulfish4570
07-30-2012, 22:15
did you count me in?

kdemas
07-30-2012, 22:48
did you count me in?

Absolutely!

sanmich
07-31-2012, 02:09
Great idea.
a reason to go out and burn some film!
is there a registration of some kind?

kdemas
07-31-2012, 08:47
Great idea.
a reason to go out and burn some film!
is there a registration of some kind?

Nope, just head on out and shoot. Take a look at the initial post for details. I'll start another thread to remind people of the submission process (email) and rules after the shoot.

Have fun!

grantb
08-01-2012, 18:02
I would like to join in the hunt.

kdemas
08-02-2012, 08:07
In preparation for the Challenge here's an interesting interview with HCB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGKubZ1B07c&feature=youtube_gdata_player) when he was older (French, subtitles).

As he would say about shooting...Be Receptive.

kdemas
08-03-2012, 15:15
OK all....we're almost there. I've set up a twitter presence (https://twitter.com/DecisiveHCB) to support the event (almost ready for prime time, trouble getting a profile pic up):
@DecisiveHCB

On the day of the event use the following hashtag if you'd like to communicate via Twitter with your fellow participants:
#DChallenge

To fully nerd out we also have a Facebook page, come like it and participate if you have an account:
https://www.facebook.com/TheDecisiveChallenge
(https://www.facebook.com/TheDecisiveChallenge)

I'll be posting some iPhone pics from my shooting in San Francisco, both by myself and with our RFF group. I think it might be fun to see some images of the towns/cities/events at which you'll be shooting and the people you're with, if any.

Follow the Twitter account and/or Like the FB page for the latest and greatest updates. If you're not into those, no biggie...RFF will have all the info you need to partake in the event!

cepwin
08-03-2012, 15:47
I'm going to try to participate....I have family coming later in the day so I don't know how much time I'll have...

DougFord
08-03-2012, 15:57
In deference to things that people deference things to, I'd just like to add the attached mp3 interview with the young, decisive moment HCB. As apposed to the pompous older french country gibberish " what? decisive moment? never heiord of it." HCB.
If you're gonna channel HCB this Sunday, I'd recommend the former. :rolleyes:
http://*******.com/mpxbhf

kdemas
08-03-2012, 16:03
Thanks for the link Doug, Excellent interview! I've never run across an English interview with him as a younger man, very enjoyable.

As for the Challenge...hopefully everyone will just try to imprint their own style on the genre that HCB and other early street photogs pioneered.

In deference to things that people deference things to, I'd just like to add the attached mp3 interview with the young, decisive moment HCB. As apposed to the pompous older french country gibberish " what? decisive moment? never heiord of it." HCB.
If you're gonna channel HCB this Sunday, I'd recommend the former. :rolleyes:
http://*******.com/mpxbhf

kdemas
08-04-2012, 11:03
In parts of the world it's the 5th already...have a great shoot!!

One day to go for those of us in Western time zones!

DougFord
08-04-2012, 14:24
Thanks for the link Doug, Excellent interview! I've never run across an English interview with him as a younger man, very enjoyable.

As for the Challenge...hopefully everyone will just try to imprint their own style on the genre that HCB and other early street photogs pioneered.

agreed.
I'll be schlepping about doing the same :)

paulfish4570
08-04-2012, 15:19
whooooooo-weeeeeeee. gonna be tough for this ol' country boy ...

helenhill
08-04-2012, 15:21
YAY...this I will be Able to Do :D...:cool:

kdemas
08-04-2012, 15:39
@Helen- Great! Look forward to your photo.

@Paul- I'm sure you'll do great Paul!

dave lackey
08-04-2012, 15:43
Looks like the weather will be okay and I plan on hanging out at the town square.... in Newnan. The same place they filmed the zombieland movie with Woody Haralson.:p

Never know what might happen by.;)

paulfish4570
08-04-2012, 15:45
dave, the zombies more than likely will leave you alone since they like brains so much ... :)

dave lackey
08-04-2012, 15:49
Thank God! Told ya I liked the simple life.:p

kdemas
08-04-2012, 15:50
Thank God! Told ya I liked the simple life.:p

Here is the Courthouse and town square:

http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/6488710/Zombieland_w550.jpg

Neat personnel carrier in the foreground!

paulfish4570
08-04-2012, 16:03
dave, we were in ikea 9 hours yesterday. too worn out to call. good thing we couldn't plan lunch. wooo-weeeeeee!

dave lackey
08-04-2012, 17:08
dave, we were in ikea 9 hours yesterday. to worn out to call. good thing we couldn't plan lunch. wooo-weeeeeee!

Yikes! 9 hours??????:eek:

kdemas
08-04-2012, 19:16
Reminder- After your shoot do not share your photo(s) anywhere until after voting is completed. We want the pictures to be anonymous so votes are based solely on merit and not by friendships or reputations.

Getting my kit ready for the morning!

gb hill
08-04-2012, 20:15
I'll participate. I'm getting my gear ready.

kdemas
08-04-2012, 21:22
I'll participate. I'm getting my gear ready.

Great! I'm busy doing the same tonight :)

leicapixie
08-04-2012, 21:28
It sounds most intriguing! sounds like fun..so it's hit the streets. i am in. Yup!

FrozenInTime
08-04-2012, 21:33
I've been busy with the black sharpie again making sure my cameras are also anonymous - ready for the tomorrow.

astro8
08-04-2012, 21:37
This is tough!

I've been out today...nothing.

Heading back out tonight.

kdemas
08-04-2012, 21:44
This is tough!

I've been out today...nothing.

Heading back out tonight.

It is tricky!! Just try to let it "come to you", sometimes when you look too hard you can't find the shot :)

Enjoy!!

kdemas
08-04-2012, 22:07
I've been busy with the black sharpie again making sure my cameras are also anonymous - ready for the tomorrow.

Nice Donald! I'm going to be using an interesting combo tomorrow :)

kdemas
08-05-2012, 05:38
...and the day has arrived for everyone!

Time to shoot! Have fun!

**remember...don't post images you may submit into the competition here or anywhere else as we want to keep all entries anonymous.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 08:39
What are you shooting today? I'm currently using a Hexar RF with a 50 Cron Collapsible. The lens is a little homage choice for HCB. The fact it was my Dad's makes it a little extra special.

TMAX 400 will power much of today's fun though some digital will sneak its way in too.

What's in your bag?

dave lackey
08-05-2012, 08:41
What are you shooting today? I'm currently using a Hexar RF with a 50 Cron Collapsible. The lens is a little homage choice for HCB. The fact it was my Dad's makes it a little extra special.

TMAX 400 will power much of today's fun though some digital will sneak its way in too.

What's in your bag?

No bag today...just a Leica X1.:p

paulfish4570
08-05-2012, 08:56
r2m with smc pentax-m 50/1.4, hp5.
pentax ME super with pentax-m 50/2, ap 400.
the X100 will not be in the bag ...

Warren T.
08-05-2012, 09:04
i'm using what I used last time: M3 w/50mm f2.8 Elmar (also my homage to HCB), and also bringing my mu-43 G1 w/20mm f1.7. I'm keeping it simple today.

--Warren

rich815
08-05-2012, 09:13
My son is going to shoot my CL with 40/2 Summicron. I'm taking out and shooting my IIIa with 50/1.5 Summarit. Mine loaded with Double X, my son with APX400.

ampguy
08-05-2012, 09:17
note to self: snap some photos of the cat today ;)

kdemas
08-05-2012, 09:41
note to self: snap some photos of the cat today ;)

Those should be exciting Ted.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 09:48
No bag today...just a Leica X1.:p

I kind of wish I still had my X1, great IQ. At least I still have the case!

FrozenInTime
08-05-2012, 09:49
Using up the last of my Avantix 400 b+w in APS with a contax Tix ( before mainstream proccessing goes away ).

Also got some T400CN to use in a Rollei 35SE.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 10:05
Using up the last of my Avantix 400 b+w in APS with a contax Tix ( before mainstream proccessing goes away ).

Also got some T400CN to use in a Rollei 35SE.

Very cool Donald! I love my Tix...should have brought it today. Have fun.

RichW
08-05-2012, 15:33
Day's almost over here, went down to Greenwich and shot 4 rolls of 120 film in my Yashica Mat-124 G, so that's 48 exposures, hopefully one will be worthy of entering :)

Cheers, Richard

cepwin
08-05-2012, 15:42
I took my Yashica Electro 35 to a local shopping area (think small cityscape built in the middle of suburbia.) Well see what I got when I develop the roll.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 15:57
Still plinking away here. Went from very overcast to very very bright.

paulfish4570
08-05-2012, 16:49
4.5 hours in the birmingham, alabama, afternoon heat and humidity, a 36-exp roll and a 24-exp roll expended. (well, i did spend 40 minutes or so in our biggest mall; it was packed with back-to-school shoppers) it was good to get out of my non-people box - i think ... :)

kermaier
08-05-2012, 17:30
Epic fail. My kids were horsing around in the yard, and my 4-year-old son kicked a tooth out of my 7-year-old daughter's mouth, gashing his toe in the process. I never got to leave the house. :(
In the end we determined it wasn't one of her permanent teeth, so all's well on the home front, but poor old HCB will have to get his due another day.

dave lackey
08-05-2012, 17:35
Epic fail. My kids were horsing around in the yard, and my 4-year-old son kicked a tooth out of my 7-year-old daughter's mouth, gashing his toe in the process. I never got to leave the house. :(
In the end we determined it wasn't one of her permanent teeth, so all's well on the home front, but poor old HCB will have to get his due another day.

Ouch!....Ari, hope all things get better, BTDT....:angel:

astro8
08-05-2012, 18:14
I shot all day and went back out until midnight....nothing :o

I took the LX3 out at night because I thought it would be more discreet as I was noticing people freezing up when they saw me out in the day with the R-D1. Big mistake.

I felt like stomping on it and throwing the thing in the garbage. I've realised that even the tiniest bit of lag between my pressing the shutter and it firing, turns me inside out with frustration.

All my 'decisive moments' were well after the event.:(

I suddenly have a lot more admiration for some of our street shooting members here.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 19:00
I shot all day and went back out until midnight....nothing :o

I took the LX3 out at night because I thought it would be more discreet as I was noticing people freezing up when they saw me out in the day with the R-D1. Big mistake.

I felt like stomping on it and throwing the thing in the garbage. I've realised that even the tiniest bit of lag between my pressing the shutter and it firing, turns me inside out with frustration.

All my 'decisive moments' were well after the event.:(

I suddenly have a lot more admiration for some of our street shooting members here.

Yeah, shutter response is a biggie for me too. Maybe when you look through your images again you'll find a hidden gem.

Cool you have it a great shot!

kdemas
08-05-2012, 19:01

Ouch! Glad to hear it wasn't a permanent tooth! I hope both kids feel better soon.

cepwin
08-05-2012, 19:40
Ouch! glad everyone is ok!

Epic fail. My kids were horsing around in the yard, and my
4-year-old son kicked a tooth out of my 7-year-old daughter's mouth, gashing his toe in the process. I never got to leave the house. :(

tuanvinh2000
08-05-2012, 20:53
1200 pixels max for the width so does it means for 4x6 ratio, it's 1200x1800 or 1200 is also max for height? just dont want to violate the rule. There is a parade in Vancouver today so i think i benefit from it. :) but i might submit a non-parade one.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 20:56
1200 pixels max for the width so does it means for 4x6 ratio, it's 1200x1800 or 1200 is also max for height? just dont want to violate the rule. There is a parade in Vancouver today so i think i benefit from it. :) but i might submit a non-parade one.

We'll keep it simple and just say 1200 width. No max for height. I personally might keep
It under 1200 or so because many people will have have to scroll to see a full sized version.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 20:58
Re-thought this quickly.

Let's say 1200 on the longest side. I think that will be best for usability.

Thoughts???

reagan
08-05-2012, 21:15
Camera loaded and ready ... and never pulled the trigger. Wishful thinking for a preacher man to have an hour "free time" on a Sunday. Hope y'all found some great light.

kdemas
08-05-2012, 21:37
Camera loaded and ready ... and never pulled the trigger. Wishful thinking for a preacher man to have an hour "free time" on a Sunday. Hope y'all found some great light.

I think we'll try Saturday next time. You had some higher work to do :)

CNNY
08-05-2012, 22:34
I was in working on something all day, and I didn't plan to make time for this. But then the weather changed, and I circled my block for 40 minutes or so. I should have something to go with. I mean, how many shots do you need to get one that turns out ok?

kdemas
08-06-2012, 06:51
I was in working on something all day, and I didn't plan to make time for this. But then the weather changed, and I circled my block for 40 minutes or so. I should have something to go with. I mean, how many shots do you need to get one that turns out ok?

Theoretically it only takes one! I look forward to your image.

kdemas
08-06-2012, 06:56
OK everyone, the shooting phase of our fine competition is over. It's now time to look over your work, get film developed, hit Lightroom...whatever.

I'll post the submission rules/process again here in a few minutes but you can find them:

1. On the first post of this thread.

Or

2. By just visiting this page on the DecisiveChallenge.com site (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/the-rules-how-to-submit-your-entry.html).

Edit away!

randolph45
08-06-2012, 10:11
I wasn't sure if this would work for me as my daughter inlisted me to escort my grandson to an all day event at the L.A. Colosium. I did shoot from breakfast till about six thirty and have three possibile shots I like:)

kdemas
08-06-2012, 10:18
Excellent! It will be fun to see something from the Coliseum, a place and area I know well!

I wasn't sure if this would work for me as my daughter inlisted me to escort my grandson to an all day event at the L.A. Colosium. I did shoot from breakfast till about six thirty and have three possibile shots I like:)

leicapixie
08-07-2012, 04:56
i had a ball with the shooting! Now i need to edit! What makes one think i shot digital? Film is simply costing too much. i have a fixed income. Retired. The search for images was great fun. TY for a lovely time, wish some of you were here, at the time,but truthfully i like to shoot alone!

kdemas
08-07-2012, 11:50
Reminder all.

Please email your entries in to the Challenge no later than midnight Pacific time on August 20th. See the first post in this thread for full instructions or go here (http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/the-rules-how-to-submit-your-entry.html).

[email protected]

paulfish4570
08-07-2012, 12:06
i have made my first cut. got about 23 to stew over ...

ampguy
08-07-2012, 15:50
I only took 2 photos on the 5th and submitted one of them already. I shot it in BW at an epic decisive moment in time.

kdemas
08-07-2012, 16:16
Got it Ted, thanks!

I only took 2 photos on the 5th and submitted one of them already. I shot it in BW at an epic decisive moment in time.

kdemas
08-08-2012, 09:50
Prizes...we have some prizes!

A very generous RFF member has donated a brand new Think Tank 10" bag to be a prize in our competition. A big "Thank You" from all of us!

At least one more prize is in the works, more details to follow.

Kent

RichW
08-08-2012, 11:36
That's very generous of them. My photos are at the lab at the moment but hope to get them back soon!

R

ampguy
08-08-2012, 12:45
I've got a lot of prizes I'd like to donate (some used, but minty...) but here's my dilemma. I have a feeling I'm going to win this :angel: and don't want to ship it off, then have it all sent back ...

Prizes...we have some prizes!

A very generous RFF member has donated a brand new Think Tank 10" bag to be a prize in our competition. A big "Thank You" from all of us!

At least one more prize is in the works, more details to follow.

Kent

paulfish4570
08-08-2012, 12:48
now, that is some bold talk ... :)

kdemas
08-08-2012, 15:02
Have I mentioned that I hate scanning?

paulfish4570
08-08-2012, 15:37
i have made my choice from among 60 or so frames, with help from the eye of my bride. but i ain't sending it yet. gotta let the decision stew a couple of more days.

kdemas
08-08-2012, 15:44
i have made my choice from among 60 or so frames, with help from the eye of my bride. but i ain't sending it yet. gotta let the decision stew a couple of more days.

Good stuff Paul. I'm still deciding myself.

kdemas
08-08-2012, 17:39
...and we have another very generous RFF member who has donated a prize! One of the prizes, in addition to the 10" Think Tank bag mentioned earlier, will be a fully functional user grade Nikon F3!

Thank you again to the donors, your generosity in support of this fun Challenge is really something else. I will hold off identifying them until after the voting closes on the Challenge.

I'm lining up at least one more prize as well!

kdemas
08-10-2012, 19:48
10 days left to submit your entry! Deadline is midnight on August 20th. I've got mine narrowed down to 3 contenders.

How to submit:

http://www.decisivechallenge.com/p/the-rules-how-to-submit-your-entry.html?m=0

RichW
08-10-2012, 21:41
hmm, wish I had a better way to scan the film than to take a picture with my DSLR of the negative sitting on top of my ipad with a white background...

tuanvinh2000
08-10-2012, 21:53
i like ted style, took 2 pictures and one is at the peak of that "decisive moment". def sounds like a winner to me. I do know one picture i took that moment is the one i sent in!

kdemas
08-10-2012, 21:57
hmm, wish I had a better way to scan the film than to take a picture with my DSLR of the negative sitting on top of my ipad with a white background...

Maybe a local film processor like a drugstore will scant a few frames for you.

Dave S.
08-14-2012, 10:59
Thank you for the reminder PM about the deadline kdemas (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/member.php?u=934)! I need to hop to it and shoot out the rest of a couple rolls and get them into the lab. Unfortunately, I was only able to take a few pictures that day (on a couple different cameras). Hopefully, I got something decent enough to submit. Thanks again for the reminder!

-Dave

kdemas
08-14-2012, 11:06
Thank you for the reminder PM about the deadline kdemas (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/member.php?u=934)! I need to hop to it and shoot out the rest of a couple rolls and get them into the lab. Unfortunately, I was only able to take a few pictures that day (on a couple different cameras). Hopefully, I got something decent enough to submit. Thanks again for the reminder!

-Dave

I look forward to seeing your image!

kdemas
08-20-2012, 07:19
Midnight tonight is the submittal deadline, get your entries in!

RayPA
08-20-2012, 13:36
I've got a lot of prizes I'd like to donate (some used, but minty...) but here's my dilemma. I have a feeling I'm going to win this :angel: and don't want to ship it off, then have it all sent back ...

Since when did you get so cocky, Ted? It must be all that coffee you're ingesting up there. :p When are we going to see you in the bay area again?

/

kdemas
08-20-2012, 19:27
About 4.5 hours until the submission deadline. Get those entreis in, it only takes a minute.

1. Pick your favorite B&W image shot on August 5th.
2. Size can be no larger than 1200 pixels on the longest side.
3. 500k image size limit.

SEND ENTRY TO: [email protected]

Come on...you know you want to.

Kent

paulfish4570
08-20-2012, 19:59
yeah, what kent said ...

kdemas
08-20-2012, 21:55
One last bump before the deadline.

paulfish4570
08-21-2012, 07:09
kent: ETA on when voting can start?

seakayaker1
08-21-2012, 08:34
. . . . . busy month.

While looking at the forum last night at the 10 oclock hour and saw your bump. I picked one photo from the short walk about I took in the afternoon of the 5th and set you an email with a photograph attached a little after 11:00 PM Pacific Time.

Looking forward to seeing the work submitted and voting.

Thanks for organizing.

kdemas
08-21-2012, 13:44
I received a number of submissions last night, nice work everyone! I should have the display and voting ready to go tomorrow.

Quite a nice variety of images, this should be interesting!

Kent

paulfish4570
08-21-2012, 13:50
thanks for the update.

kdemas
08-21-2012, 14:03
thanks for the update.

My pleasure!

Warren T.
08-31-2012, 11:20
As some of you know, I have a group blog (Friendly Photo Forum (http://www.fpcf.blogspot.com)), and some of us on the blog participated in the Decisive Challenge 2012. Now that voting is closed, I want to invite you to view some of the other pictures that we shot on that day. We tagged the posts to make it easy to view them all together: linked here (http://fpcf.blogspot.com/search/label/Decisive%20Challenge%202012).

Please visit that link if you feel like it, and comments are always welcomed on the blog posts. :)

--Warren

kdemas
08-31-2012, 12:16
I'll have a look when I get home here later Warren, thanks for posting! On a related matter I'm going to start a thread with "The ones that missed the cut" after the winner is announced.

Kent

As some of you know, I have a group blog (Friendly Photo Forum (http://www.fpcf.blogspot.com)), and some of us on the blog participated in the Decisive Challenge 2012. Now that voting is closed, I want to invite you to view some of the other pictures that we shot on that day. We tagged the posts to make it easy to view them all together: linked here (http://fpcf.blogspot.com/search/label/Decisive%20Challenge%202012).

Please visit that link if you feel like it, and comments are always welcomed on the blog posts. :)

--Warren

SausalitoDog
08-31-2012, 13:14
Warren-

There are some really really nice shots there. Very worthwhile for you to participate in the challenge since it got you out to make all these other great photos as well.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Tom