PDA

View Full Version : A roll of film a day for seven days!

Keith
06-13-2012, 01:03
I thought this might be fun ... I'll outlay the plan and then you can all pick it to pieces! :D

During a nominated period of twenty eight days starting whenever (to be decided), you have to shoot a full roll of film per day for seven continuous days ... that's seven rolls! You can start on day one or you can leave it to day twenty one but you must be committed to the idea and follow it through within this period. Shooting two rolls in one day is 'verboten' because this is about committment to a plan and sticking to it no matter how hard it may seem occasionally. If you have a day where it is difficult to get out and have to shoot an entire roll of your cat or your laundry door ... so be it!

Film options are 135 (24 or 36 exp) and 120 (4.5x6 ~ 6x6 etc). You may also mix the formats if you choose and the choice of camera/cameras is up to you ... if you decide to move the film from one camera to another in the middle of shooting a roll ... that's OK too!

At the end of the twenty eight day period a thread will be started where you can post your best two images from your seven rolls and describe how the process went for you and why you chose those particular photographs.

This is not a competition ... it's about committment to an ideal and feeling a sense of achievment because you made occasional compromises and sacrifices to see it through. I also realise that it could be a little expensive for those that have their film lab developed but hey ... you have to spend your money on something ... why not film?

Is this idea crazy? I know there are probably some members out there who shoot at this pace anyway and would find it a breeze... Tom A comes to mind! :D

zvos1
06-13-2012, 01:09
Roll of film per day could be a bit of a stretch for full time working folk, roll of film per week for 4 weeks sound better to me :-)

EliasK
06-13-2012, 01:13
Excellent idea, count me in!!

cwalton
06-13-2012, 01:28
Excellent idea, count me in!!

+1!

I've been meaning to put a decent amount of film through my OM-1 for a while now...:)

Cagliostro73
06-13-2012, 01:50
Great idea! Too bad my scanner is broken :(

maddoc
06-13-2012, 01:52
Interesting and challenging idea ! When is the 28 day period supposed to be started ?

btgc
06-13-2012, 01:52
I'm in! Please contact me in PM and I will supply my adress to where you can ship film :) Chemistry is mine.

Keith
06-13-2012, 01:57
Interesting and challenging idea ! When is the 28 day period supposed to be started ?

Hi Gabor,

I was thinking beginning of next month ... 1st of July. That would give us a couple of weeks to get our heads around the idea and plenty of opportunity for this thread to be seen. :)

dcsang
06-13-2012, 02:00
Roll of film per day could be a bit of a stretch for full time working folk, roll of film per week for 4 weeks sound better to me :-)

I would like to try this ^^^^^ as, unless I'm on vacation, the roll a film a day would be difficult when working full time.

Cheers,
Dave

Keith
06-13-2012, 02:09
I would like to try this ^^^^^ as, unless I'm on vacation, the roll a film a day would be difficult when working full time.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

No one has to sail on this ship if they can't find the time! I don't know how people's schedules are with full time work but realistically a person can get up half an hour earlier, use their lunch break for something other than eating ... or go out and do some night photography. It's summer in the northern hemisphere currently so there's plenty of daylight!

Respectfully! :D

06-13-2012, 02:28
i try to shoot a roll a day...i try to bring a different camera to work... so far, around 5 rolls a week... the half-frames are the toughest...48 frames on a 24 exp camera.

Johnmcd
06-13-2012, 02:50
That will work for me even though I'm at work. I'll be running a fire trainers instructors course so lots of gritty B/W images of firefighting. Will make it the Mamiya 7 so I only have 10 shots per day.

Cheers - John

maddoc
06-13-2012, 02:53
Hi Gabor,

I was thinking beginning of next month ... 1st of July. That would give us a couple of weeks to get our heads around the idea and plenty of opportunity for this thread to be seen. :)

Hi Keith,

sounds good to me ! I have to try this, can`t change much of my daily routines (and don`t have lunch break since I am supposed to work) but it is a challenge !:D

Peter_wrote:
06-13-2012, 04:35
i will think about it.

usually i need 2-4 weeks to finish a roll of film. so it definitely would be a challenge for me and get me out of my routine. maybe it would learn me to shoot more spontaneous.

on the other hand shooting so many films through the camera with the result of 2 pictures, has some kind of "digital" smell. sounds a bit like learning a bad habit. ;)

paulfish4570
06-13-2012, 04:40
too many rolls for me, keith. but it is a fine idea ...

Keith
06-13-2012, 04:53
i will think about it.

usually i need 2-4 weeks to finish a roll of film. so it definitely would be a challenge for me and get me out of my routine. maybe it would learn me to shoot more spontaneous.

on the other hand shooting so many films through the camera with the result of 2 pictures, has some kind of "digital" smell. sounds a bit like learning a bad habit. ;)

You'll have a lot more than two pictures out of this ... two pictures is what you'll be posting here! You can keep the rest! :D

I think your comment about spontaneity is right ... and you'll constantly be looking for subject material.

paulfish4570
06-13-2012, 04:59
maybe i could do a mix of bw neg and c-41. i'll think it over for a week or so ...

Lauffray
06-13-2012, 05:20
The fastest I've ever finished a roll was a week, this could be interesting to try, I'm in

Keith
06-13-2012, 05:23
maybe i could do a mix of bw neg and c-41. i'll think it over for a week or so ...

I would really like to have you in this Paul! :)

An eye like yours should make this a cinch.

dogbunny
06-13-2012, 05:28
I'd give it a go. I'll be on vacation, with nothing to do but eat and shoot.

boomguy57
06-13-2012, 05:34
I like the idea, but as the first poster mentioned, working full time makes it tough to get in a roll every single day. With work, family, etc, I can manage a few frames per day so one roll a week for a month would be more doable.

When someone starts that project, count me in!

MartinP
06-13-2012, 05:41
Hmmmm, that date starts the opening week of Rencontres Arles! I suspect I will be shooting rather more than a roll a day in 35mm. Maybe I could take an old Agfa folder with me too . . .

paulfish4570
06-13-2012, 05:51
all right, it is a go for me. we are driving to a wedding in texas in july. the trip out and back, and the gathering itself should present some target-rich environments ... :)

paulfish4570
06-13-2012, 05:55
now then: 24-exp or 36-exp ...

Brad Bireley
06-13-2012, 06:01
I'm in. I need somethng to get me out photographing. Havenít done much photographing lately so this should help. Does 1 sheet on my crown graphic count as 1 roll? :cool:

Keith
06-13-2012, 06:06
Crazy, YES! Fun, YES!

On days I work this will necessitate getting out either very early or very late which will interject obvious variety to the overall take.

This could be very cool. . . and crazy and fun.

I'm loving your enthusiasm here! :D

Keith
06-13-2012, 06:07
I'm in. I need somethng to get me out photographing. Havenít done much photographing lately so this should help. Does 1 sheet on my crown graphic count as 1 roll? :cool:

Only if you're prepared to cut the 4 x 5 negative into eighths and shoot one piece at a time! :D

Keith
06-13-2012, 06:08
They seem to have very short weeks up your way Paul! :D

mgchan
06-13-2012, 06:14
This seems like a great challenge. You can count me in.

Instead of two best shots from the 7 rolls, how about upping the ante to one best shot per roll, for a total of 7 best shots? :D

srtiwari
06-13-2012, 06:17
Good idea ! It will spur the lazy ones amongst us (like myself) to commit to an assignment.
I'm in !!

Keith
06-13-2012, 06:18
This seems like a great challenge. You can count me in.

Instead of two best shots from the 7 rolls, how about upping the ante to one best shot per roll, for a total of 7 best shots? :D

I thought about that but the ongoing thread where we do actually post our results could get a little unwieldy ... depending how many people come through on this of course!

What do others think about this?

ruby.monkey
06-13-2012, 06:19
Sounds like a good way to get comfortable with my new GS645. I'm in.

Flickr pool for best-of-each-roll submissions?

Tsukiouji
06-13-2012, 06:26
I've used to shot 24+ exp per walk few years ago. While now I'm way more concerned shooter for quite a reasons, I'm in!
Though, I will be using self-loaded film, so not quite sure if there be exactly 24 or 36 exp. per roll. For now it goes around 30. Guess, that's Ok?

srtiwari
06-13-2012, 06:30
I thought about that but the ongoing thread where we do actually post our results could get a little unwieldy ... depending how many people come through on this of course!

What do others think about this?

Start a W/NW thread and call it "Best 2 of Week project" or something.

shiro_kuro
06-13-2012, 06:46
Count me in .....

I think it would also be interesting to see the contact sheets from which the two best images were chosen from ....

loquax ludens
06-13-2012, 06:51
OK, count me in. I'm a full time working guy too, but I will commit to it.

Maybe call the results thread "Your Best 2 of the 728 Assignment".

srtiwari
06-13-2012, 07:03
Lazy, or just otherwise distracted with stuff like reading internet forums.

Maybe its the same thing.

Mark A. Fisher
06-13-2012, 07:13
I'm in! I have a lot of cameras that are begging to be exercised, and I always grab the same ones! So this will be a great excuse to use a couple of folders, maybe my Yashica-Mat, and... Oh, man! Can we make this a 14-day shoot?! Cool! I'm anxious to start!

m

loquax ludens
06-13-2012, 07:37
Can we make this a 14-day shoot?! Cool! I'm anxious to start!

You mean 14 rolls in 14 days? Or 7 rolls in 14 days? Or ... ???

I think 7 rolls in 7 consecutive days during a 28 day period is challenging enough for me.

rbsinto
06-13-2012, 07:55
Stipulating 24 or 36 shots per day results in frames shot for the sake of shooting (the Digital approach to photography).
I'm out virtually every weekend for hours at a time and often don't shoot a single frame, because there is nothing on the streets that particular day that catches my eye, so rather than blast away for the sake of blasting away, I'll pass on this assignment.

loquax ludens
06-13-2012, 08:31
You can also shoot MF, which means you only need to shoot 10 to 15 shots per 120 roll.

But I'd encourage you to go back to the first post and read it again. This is not about shooting film like it was digital. As Keith said, it's about a committment and sticking to a plan, being willing to make sacrifices to achieve it.

Who knows, as another poster pointed out, it may help some of us develop greater spontaneity.

It's also going to be fun. Not all film shooting has to be so serious all the time.

Jobin
06-13-2012, 08:47
I'm in. Don't know when to start though.

shadowfox
06-13-2012, 09:08
My record is on average 1 roll per week *constantly* since October 2006.
That's right about 300 rolls of film so far.

One roll a week is totally doable for a person with a full-time job, and a young child.

I don't know about one roll a day, though,
It seems like you'll be burned out by the time you're done.

You know the saying, a marathon is better than a sprint, if we're talking about endurance.

Vincent.G
06-13-2012, 09:16
I like this challenge.

Todd.Hanz
06-13-2012, 09:17
yeah i'm in too, somebody compile the final rules, set the date and let's get this thing going.

Todd

benlees
06-13-2012, 09:48
Geez, so many rules! So you have 28 days starting July 1 to use 7 rolls of film in 7 days? This might break me out of a photo funk. Thanks Keith!

Stefan Wood
06-13-2012, 10:11
Yikes, I took two rolls during lunch break today. So many people on the Mall, can go crazy doing street shooting.......

kdemas
06-13-2012, 10:41
I'm in, sounds like fun!

benlees
06-13-2012, 11:06
I don't think our digital brothers and sisters should be left out!

More rules:

around 6mp = 36 shots/day
around 10mp= 24 shots/day
around 12mp= 24 shots/day
around 18mp= 16 shots/day
around 20mp= 12 shots/day
+20mp = 10 shots/day

disclaimer: zero scientific pixel peeping parameters were used for the above recommendations.:angel:

rjbuzzclick
06-13-2012, 11:54
I don't think I'll have the time to participate in this, but I did want to chime in. I've done similar things like this (48 Film Projects and such) and I find that being "forced" to work quickly has it's rewards-getting one out of their comfort zone and approaching the work in a different way with different priorities. The results may or may not be as good as when one is working in their normal mode, but the experience can be an interesting and educational one and a great way to possibly re-evaluate one's own process.

Regarding those that shoot 4x5, I'd suggest four shots per day, which is about the same amount of film area as 36 exposures of 35mm, and is a lot to shoot from a large format perspective (at least the way I shoot).

Batman
06-13-2012, 12:00
I'm in. Shouldn't be too tough to fit it in; I'll be on vacation for a week in July and I usually walk for at least an hour day to and from work. I just started using my CLE again recently after a long time on the shelf, this will be a good opportunity to get comfortable with it again.

Now the only question is to dig in to my stash of E200 or use the Portra 400 I haven't had a chance to test yet or see what B&W I have seven rolls of...

back alley
06-13-2012, 12:08
I don't think our digital brothers and sisters should be left out!

More rules:

around 6mp = 36 shots/day
around 10mp= 24 shots/day
around 12mp= 24 shots/day
around 18mp= 16 shots/day
around 20mp= 12 shots/day
+20mp = 10 shots/day

disclaimer: zero scientific pixel peeping parameters were used for the above recommendations.:angel:

thanks for thinking about us...

loquax ludens
06-13-2012, 13:28
Now the only question is to dig in to my stash of E200 or use the Portra 400 I haven't had a chance to test yet or see what B&W I have seven rolls of...

Keith said you can mix and match formats and cameras, and even transfer rolls from one camera to another. He didn't say anything specifically about having to use one emulsion for all seven rolls, so it seems likely you can shoot whatever film you like. I'm sure he'll clarify the rules eventually.

loquax ludens
06-13-2012, 13:30
Regarding those that shoot 4x5, I'd suggest four shots per day, which is about the same amount of film area as 36 exposures of 35mm, and is a lot to shoot from a large format perspective (at least the way I shoot).

Per Keith earlier in the thread, you'd need to cut each 4x5 sheet into eighths and shoot each piece individually. That ramps up the complexity for sheet film users a bit. See post #29 (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1902866&postcount=29).

sara
06-13-2012, 13:47
Sounds scary!

KarlG
06-13-2012, 15:10
Count me in for this, will be a great project to get me out and shooting more! At the moment, a roll of film can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks to get through, so this will force me to get out and shoot more...

I figure I can get up slightly earlier for work and spend 20 minutes in the morning, if I take a lunch break I can shoot then & then do some night shooting after work. Will be an interesting mix of images, but I like that it will get me out & looking for opportunities to shoot!

kdemas
06-13-2012, 15:37
For Digital why don't we just say 36 shots in a day. Simple enough :)

Sylvester
06-13-2012, 15:44
Crazy idea, I'm in! Just received my Minolta CLE and I need to shoot.

back alley
06-13-2012, 15:48

i don't think we are invited...

TXForester
06-13-2012, 15:49
I've got a couple cameras I haven't used in awhile and a few given to me that I haven't got around to using. I could add a new camera for each of the seven days.

mgchan
06-13-2012, 15:49
... or 24 shots. The same options as film.

Keith
06-13-2012, 16:50
The only reason I didn't invite digital into this was because I thought there'd be considerable resistance to the idea, not to mention complicating the numbers. With film we have basic (exposures) 24, 36, 8, 10, 12, and 16 available between the two formats. Do we set the digital number at 24 so it lies somewhere in the middle ground and make sure that the chimping police are on hand for every digital shooter during their chosen seven day period? :p

If everyone in this thread is comfortable to have digital included that's ok because the majority rules after all and it never occured to me that our mighty moderator would take a rejection of his chosen medium so personally! :D

Then of course ... how the hell do I call this thing 'seven rolls in seven days!' :bang: :D

loquax ludens
06-13-2012, 18:32
With film we have (exposures) 24, 36, 8, 10, 12, and 16 available between the two formats.

Well, my 6x4.5 only gets 15 but I know some can get 16. And some square format can get 13 shots on a 120 roll. Then if you look at 220 rolls, you have (for 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, and 6x4.5) 18, 21, 24-27, 30-32. And lets not forget the half frame 135 cameras, or the other rollfilm formats (126, 110, APS, 8x11, etc).

There is quite a variety of exposures per roll in film formats. And self-loaders can load whatever they like.

Do we set the digital number at 24 so it lies somewhere in the middle ground and make sure that the chimping police are on hand for every digital shooter during their chosen seven day period? :p

We won't have roll police for the film shooters, so no need for chimping police for the digital shooters. Honor system.

I'd let them pick their roll size, and change it if they want. I might shoot some 135 and some 120 in two or more formats. They just have to explain what their "rolls" consisted of.

Then of course ... how the hell do I call this thing 'seven rolls in seven days!' :bang: :D

There is too much variability in what constitutes a roll to have much meaning beyond "roll of film". Perhaps you could call it 'seven arbitrarily selected metaphorical roll-equivalents in seven days'

paulfish4570
06-13-2012, 18:35
funny, LL ... :)

Keith
06-13-2012, 18:36
My understanding is this is could be the minimum, that is, at least one roll per day, everyday, for seven consecutive days in July. :eek:

Be it a roll of 72 in an original Oly Pen or a roll of 3 in a Gandalfo 6 x 17, or a holder of two sheets of 4x5. The idea is to get out every day and make a shot! :cool:

I like the idea of including LF 4x5 as being one holder (two negatives) ... that's quite a commitment to do that every day for seven days!

No one has screamed "please no digital!" yet so that seems ok to me too. I think the digital shooters will have to apply some self discipline though. Everything has to be on the one card and that card to be used for the seven consecutive days ... maybe we should have exif data police? :p

If your card crashes that's bad luck ... but after all, the film shooters may botch a roll in developing or have some other type of mishap so the risks have to be included on an even scale IMO.

Keith
06-13-2012, 18:37
There is too much variability in what constitutes a roll to have much meaning beyond "roll of film". Perhaps you could call it 'seven arbitrarily selected metaphorical roll-equivalents in seven days'

LOL ... that was good! :D

heartattackandvine
06-13-2012, 18:46
Stipulating 24 or 36 shots per day results in frames shot for the sake of shooting (the Digital approach to photography).
I'm out virtually every weekend for hours at a time and often don't shoot a single frame, because there is nothing on the streets that particular day that catches my eye, so rather than blast away for the sake of blasting away, I'll pass on this assignment.
+1

Though I love the idea of a bunch of people going around and shooting a truckload of film. That's got to be good for the medium. :D

zuiko85
06-13-2012, 19:03
For 4X5 how about 1 holder a day.....loaded with paper.

I'm sooo lazy.

Mark A. Fisher
06-13-2012, 19:49
You mean 14 rolls in 14 days? Or 7 rolls in 14 days? Or ... ???

I think 7 rolls in 7 consecutive days during a 28 day period is challenging enough for me.

It was a joke...

7 days of shooting will be fine, whatever the final rules are...

I only meant that I have at least 14 cameras I don't use too frequently, and it'd be fun to use them all for 14 days in a row...

canetsbe
06-13-2012, 19:59
Just snagged the set of GA645 & W cameras from the classifieds and i have WAY too much 220 film sitting around.... i'm in.

Keith
06-13-2012, 20:29
Just snagged the set of GA645 & W cameras from the classifieds and i have WAY too much 220 film sitting around.... i'm in.

Congrats on snagging those ... I looked at them earlier and thought that was a pretty good deal. And welcome on board.

I just hope Joe can find it in his heart to forgive me for being so remiss as to not think of including our digital brothers and sisters! :o

And I meant to mention ... people should be able to use any film they want at any stage ... mix and match is good! :D

newtorf
06-13-2012, 20:44
Great idea! Finally I get a chance to consume my mounting stock of films.

BTW, I bulk load my own films. Can I load one exposure per roll? ;)

back alley
06-13-2012, 20:49
Congrats on snagging those ... I looked at them earlier and thought that was a pretty good deal. And welcome on board.

I just hope Joe can find it in his heart to forgive me for being so remiss as to not think of including our digital brothers and sisters! :o

And I meant to mention ... people should be able to use any film they want at any stage ... mix and match is good! :D

I guess if one's 'real life' choice of camera is not a rangefinder then maybe one doesn't belong around here!

It's never about photography around here is it ... it's always about the camera?

hhmmm...

Keith
06-13-2012, 22:58
I guess if one's 'real life' choice of camera is not a rangefinder then maybe one doesn't belong around here!

It's never about photography around here is it ... it's always about the camera?

hhmmm...

Touche ... !

Now you've put me in my place are you going to play along with this challenge ... or are you going to sit on the sidelines and sulk? :D

shiro_kuro
06-13-2012, 23:12
I like the idea of including LF 4x5 as being one holder (two negatives) ... that's quite a commitment to do that every day for seven days!

No one has screamed "please no digital!" yet so that seems ok to me too. I think the digital shooters will have to apply some self discipline though. Everything has to be on the one card and that card to be used for the seven consecutive days ... maybe we should have exif data police? :p

If your card crashes that's bad luck ... but after all, the film shooters may botch a roll in developing or have some other type of mishap so the risks have to be included on an even scale IMO.

Please No DIGITAL !!!
there I screamed it ; ) That was part of the appeal ..for me anyway ...
Stick to your original plan Keith : )

Keith
06-13-2012, 23:20
Please No DIGITAL !!!

It sort of was for me too ... but digital and film tend to be a little like the Hatfields and McCoys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield%E2%80%93McCoy_feud) around here at times and I really don't want to put anyone's nose out of joint!.

We have to be politically correct and democratic ... it's the new way and we should embrace it! :p

johannielscom
06-13-2012, 23:22
allright, I'll play.

It'll be a challenge in the sense that to get the daily quotum, I will likely shoot things and scenes that I would normally pass up on, and I'm hoping this will expand my ability to pre-visualise photos.

Not sure yet if it'll be the Leica and 24 shots a day or a Rolleiflex and 12 shots a day.

I suppose the suggested starting date of july 1st is a 'Go'? Haven't had time to read the entire thread yet, I'm at work.

Peter_wrote:
06-13-2012, 23:24
i am curious about your personal intention to start such a project...?

anyway i'm in.

digital included would be ok for me, too.

ricnak
06-13-2012, 23:42
I'm in!

plus 10 ...........................

maddoc
06-13-2012, 23:45
Please No DIGITAL !!!
Stick to your original plan Keith : )

+1. Original title of the thread "seven rolls in seven days" and not "24/36 digital images in seven days" ... With film once decided, I am bound to ISO and color or BW ...

Keith
06-13-2012, 23:46
i am curious about your personal intention to start such a project...?

anyway i'm in.

digital included would be ok for me, too.

Good question! I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks on and off and and made the decision yesterday to impliment it.

As for why ... someone in an earlier post mentioned that forcing yourself to shoot X amount of images a day repeatedly for several days in this way will change the way you take photographs during that period and the results may make you think a little differently about the way you'll approach photography in the future. It's not about wasting images it's about being alert to visual situations and scenarios you've not really considered or noticed previously. This is exactly how I feel about this project and I was very curious to see how many people would be prepared to run with it if I offered it up here!

I won't have a lot of trouble with this personally because I frequently load a roll of 24 exposures into a camera and go for a walk just around where I live ... often I won't venture out of my own property. I'll usually get through those twenty four frames in less than half an hour and my eyes are constantly scanning for things that may look good in my viewfinder. To do this for seven staright days I'll obvioulsy be venturing out of the yard a little though! :D

Keith
06-13-2012, 23:50
+1. Original title of the thread "seven rolls in seven days" and not "24/36 digital images in seven days" ... With film once decided, I am bound to ISO and color or BW ...

Not so Gabor ... people can use seven different types of film over the seven days if they so choose. The important part is to complete a daily quota and use the equivalent of one roll.

As for digital ... the way I see it, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't!

maddoc
06-13-2012, 23:54
Not so Gabor ... people can use seven different types of film over the seven days if they so choose. The important part is to complete a daily quota and use the equivalent of one roll.

....... :D

What I meant is, once I have loaded a roll of film then I am bound to my decision of ISO and color or BW for that specific day until the next day and the next roll of film. Digicam user can flip through their ISO-settings and or color / BW mode from image to image.

Keith
06-13-2012, 23:59
....... :D

What I meant is, once I have loaded a roll of film then I am bound to my decision of ISO and color or BW for that specific day until the next day and the next roll of film. Digicam user can flip through their ISO-settings and or color / BW mode from image to image.

Maybe the digital users need to be locked into an ISO setting per day ... it's an honesty thing obviously but it seems fair to me now that you've mentioned it.

Bloody hell ... this is like organising a tennis tornament and suddenly realising the badminton players feel really left out! :p

Peter_wrote:
06-14-2012, 00:05

i think, everyone is ok with your decisions. it's even part of the fun of the project, that there are some strict rules we have to follow. so no need to be democratic. we don't pay taxes to you ;)

personally i will mostly use film. but it would be nice to use my digital too for one or two days.

hausen
06-14-2012, 00:09
I'm in. A roll a day for 7 days mean Rolleiflex for me for sure.

shiro_kuro
06-14-2012, 01:54
Ok It's not Film VS Digital Thing for me at all (Have and use an M8.2).... Keith ,it's definitely not a democratic site by a long shot ... and I should warn you not to bring politics into this or your thread will end up in the basement of RFF amongst the wristwatch , comic and other threads that went astray :D

The refreshing part of your idea was the use of film .
Here's why ....
The conversations would in general be about film based Photography which would be interesting . Film choice ,type of development ,cameras used and why etc.
There is a built in essay or challenge to document your life in seven days using a roll of film a day . Which is extremely challenging and would be interesting to see what others come up with as some are on vacation and others are so busy that they feel they cannot do this but are going to participate anyway.... Being able to edit a roll of film from a contact sheet is also something I think is missing in the digital workflow . If there are any good shots to come of this it would be interesting to see the images that led up to your masterpiece as would the ones that come after.... not to say any of this could not be done with a digital camera but the approach would be different .
Chimping screens ,PP in software ,iso freedom,it's easier and in the end just not a satisfying challenge ... perhaps one 8 gb SD card in 7 days could be a fun challenge for some :D

There are more than enough digital threads about gear and bags and straps and sensor size and value of this camera vs that camera , should I sell ,Monchrome Blah Blah and Blah ........ :)

Keith this is a brilliant attempt to bring the
photography back into photography here at RFF .
It was refreshing to see a thread like this started and hope to see more to follow ... Let the FilmCoy's and DigiField's feud as they always have and always will .....

Also I have 20 rolls of expired Fuji color film I will donate to the cause .
If any one needs or wants seven rolls let me know .

All that being said, we're ready roll

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5450/7371312890_85985dbec8_z.jpg

Peter_wrote:
06-14-2012, 02:17
it's more about composition, content and personal shooting experience. so the medium used is not so important IMO, whether one prefers digital or analog.

p. s.: cute, funny photo, shiro kuro.

ruby.monkey
06-14-2012, 02:42

hhmmm...

jawarden
06-14-2012, 04:57
Shiro Kuro, that kid has expensive taste. Be careful.

:-)

Keith, it sounds like a fun project. I do have some HP5 I've been meaning to use . . .

freeranger
06-14-2012, 05:20
Is this idea crazy?

Yup. But it's a great idea. Just what I need to kickstart the creative juice engine. I'm in.

Keith
06-14-2012, 05:44
OK .... I've thought about this long and hard and I'm going out on a limb!

My thread title was 'A roll of film a day for seven days!' I've had this idea churning in my head for a couple of weeks now and at no time did I think about accomodating digital ... and that's not because I'm anti digital ... with a D700, RD-1 and now an OMD in the cupboard that's not possible!

Yes it's about being creative under pressure and pushing your own boundaries but it's also about the commitment of not being able to back out once that shutter has been pressed which is why I went with film.

I apologise to the regular digital shooters who don't have the option of picking up a film camera but maybe you can borrow one ... I know Joe certainly can and I'll send him seven rolls of film if need be!

This time ... it's film!

jcrutcher
06-14-2012, 06:36
I'm in! This will be fun. Thank you Keith for the idea and motivation.

Jim

rover
06-14-2012, 06:43
Sounds scary!

Yes, that is a lot of shooting.

I am in. And YES DIGITAL!!! A camera is a camera is a camera.

Now, I think I will order some 24 exposure film.....

dogbunny
06-14-2012, 06:52

This time ... it's film!

Cool, let's not over analyze it and take the fun out of it. Load the film, shoot, shoot, shoot, then look at the results. :D

loquax ludens
06-14-2012, 06:57
How many would participate in this endeavor if it included the detail of images must be scans from prints?

That's what I plan to do for my B&W. I'm working on getting optical wet color capability back into my darkroom, but I'm not quite there yet.

loquax ludens
06-14-2012, 06:59

This time ... it's film!

I commend your decision. I don't have anything against digital. I have an X-Pro 1. But it was the "film" aspect of your project that initially appealed to me.

barnwulf
06-14-2012, 08:19
Yes, Keith, I am in. I saw this last night and though it was a great idea but had to think about it overnight and it's amazing how it's grown in the past 12 hours. I think roll film should be for this round and maybe another tread with a digital project. I will be shooting 36 exp 135 and a few rolls of 6X6 120. I shoot differently with the 6X6 but I will try to shoot a couple of rolls a day with that. - Jim

shadowfox
06-14-2012, 09:51
This time ... it's film!

Kudos, Keith!
For having the backbone to stand up to the unspoken pressure.

I'll be cheering you guys on the sideline with my turtle-pace film shooting of one roll a week :D:D

konicaman
06-14-2012, 10:48
This is going to be tough - count me in...

Sprinkhaan
06-14-2012, 10:49
I've been reading a lot on this forum last year. I think it's about time to play the game...

I'm in!

back alley
06-14-2012, 11:16
a quote from keith...

-------------------------------

so, it is about the camera and the medium and not the photography.

i am fine with that...i don't have to play in every game rff has...but i hope that i never hear this 'rff is anti photography ' crap again...

FrankHarries
06-14-2012, 11:22
I would be in if I would be allowed to start on the 22nd of June (thats when my vacation starts so that I am warmed up when I have to go back to work) Great idea!

back alley
06-14-2012, 11:39
Kudos, Keith!
For having the backbone to stand up to the unspoken pressure.

I'll be cheering you guys on the sideline with my turtle-pace film shooting of one roll a week :D:D

unspoken pressure?

FrankHarries
06-14-2012, 11:55
Maybe the digital users need to be locked into an ISO setting per day ... it's an honesty thing obviously but it seems fair to me now that you've mentioned it.

Bloody hell ... this is like organising a tennis tornament and suddenly realising the badminton players feel really left out! :p

May be the digital shooters have to shoot one SD-Card a day.....(8 GB, 16 GB ???? ;-))

zauhar
06-14-2012, 12:00
Keith, I am late to this, but I'm in.

Will have to be once I get back from vacation, as I don't want to mix up my planned shooting with the project.

I will pick the second week in July, just to make it real.

Great idea!

Randy

canetsbe
06-14-2012, 12:18

hhmmm...

No offense, but if someone wants to start a community project about documenting seven consecutive days on seven consecutive rolls of film, why is it such a big deal to you? If it bothers you so much, start a different project with the guidelines you want. Saying it's not about photography and that it's about the camera/medium is a really narrow way to look at this project. There's something to be said for the fact that we can't shoot digital for this project; all photographic mediums are different and definitely play a part in the production of a given photograph. The merits of giving oneself a chance to become more familiar with film as a photo-producing medium, and within the temporal structure dictated by the project should not be discouraged: it should be tolerated.

loquax ludens
06-14-2012, 12:33
The merits of giving oneself a chance to become more familiar with film as a photo-producing medium, and within the temporal structure dictated by the project should not be discouraged: it should be tolerated.

I would say encouraged, rather than tolerated.

canetsbe
06-14-2012, 12:35
I would say encouraged, rather than tolerated.

Aye, but at the least, tolerated ;)

back alley
06-14-2012, 12:39
No offense, but if someone wants to start a community project about documenting seven consecutive days on seven consecutive rolls of film, why is it such a big deal to you? If it bothers you so much, start a different project with the guidelines you want. Saying it's not about photography and that it's about the camera/medium is a really narrow way to look at this project. There's something to be said for the fact that we can't shoot digital for this project; all photographic mediums are different and definitely play a part in the production of a given photograph. The merits of giving oneself a chance to become more familiar with film as a photo-producing medium, and within the temporal structure dictated by the project should not be discouraged: it should be tolerated.

no offense taken.
keith has expressed that rff is not about photography on a number of occasions...starting long before your time started here. i have been on the receiving end of harsh comments from keith about this. we seem to be able to withstand the comments from each other and have maintained a healthy friendship (my view anyway) despite our differences.
i am fine with an all film exercise such as the one currently under discussion.
i just wanted to point out to keith that he has a bit of joe in him...

zauhar
06-14-2012, 12:40
I am not currently a digital user, but there has got to be a very different mindset when when you have 36 shots available as opposed to several gigs on an empty card. Just agreeing to limit yourself to X number of shots per day is not the same thing.

Keith is far from an analog-only guy, so I can't believe he has any ax to grind here.

EDIT: Joe, maybe he just has an ax aimed at you! ;-)

Randy

back alley
06-14-2012, 12:42
i am sure there are no axes anywhere...i shoot digital exactly the same way that i shot film.

back alley
06-14-2012, 12:44
last week i started a thread asking about one camera/one lens...it was directed at rf users only.
that is where keith's quote is from.
there were many folks who completely discarded my wishes for a rf thread only...where were all of you then?

robert blu
06-14-2012, 13:02
i would like to be in, interesting idea. Not yet sure which camera (maybe Holga, maybe rolleiflex, or my old Bessa) but I'll be in. Now the first week of july I'll be on holiday and could be an interesting place, but also back in town could be interesting...decisions, decisions, decisions....
robert

zauhar
06-14-2012, 13:33
last week i started a thread asking about one camera/one lens...it was directed at rf users only.
that is where keith's quote is from.
there were many folks who completely discarded my wishes for a rf thread only...where were all of you then?

Joe, I am with you. I will only use an RF camera for this project.

Sorry I didn't see that thread, I would have supported it.

Randy

EDIT: Just to be clear, I DO have an SLR that a friend gave me, so I have one non-RF camera.

Tom A
06-14-2012, 13:35
Sounds like an interesting project. I should be able to slow down to 1 roll/day. Now. the big decision is which camera/film/lens to use - but there are still two weeks left for that.
Great idea by the way - and if we only can "publish" 2 shots from each day - editing will be tough - and good for us.

zauhar
06-14-2012, 13:50
Is there an agreed-to date, or just when we each choose to do it?

Randy

loquax ludens
06-14-2012, 14:00
Keith proposed July 1st as the start date, with the assignment period to run for 28 days. Shoot one (only) roll of film per day for seven consecutive days within that period. That implies that your start date would have to be between 7/1 and 7/21 inclusive.

That was the proposal. I presume (hope) that Keith will, at some point before the start time, take all the discussion in this thread into account and publish the final rules.

One thing that has not been discussed is how long we have to pick and publish our two images per roll after the end of the project. What is the due date for publishing, in other words.

No mention was made of printing vs scanning film. I presume people can do as they wish and either scan their film or make prints and scan the prints.

zauhar
06-14-2012, 14:10
Sounds good - thanks, I missed that point.

Randy

ChrisN
06-14-2012, 15:20
No axes here either! I'm in, with both 35mm and medium format for this round, and I'll look forward to another good session with the digital camera at some time in the future. Good work Keith - thanks! This will push me to get back into the darkroom and making contact proofs for my backlog.

Keith
06-14-2012, 15:36
i just wanted to point out to keith that he has a bit of joe in him...

You might want to re-phrase that ... we have our reputations to think of! :p

And apologies Joe seriously ... no intention is ever made on my part to offend you. Maybe I channel Jon Claremont occasionally? :eek: :D

astro8
06-14-2012, 15:38
Yeah, I'm in too!

I'll have to quickly learn to shoot film, develop and scan :eek: but this is exactly what I need to get myself going.

I apologise but I make no apologies for bad exposure, development and scanning in advance...http://www.signs101.com/forums/images/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

blauvelt
06-14-2012, 15:47
this sounds like the fun!

just to confirm 7 rolls in 7 days, 35mm or 120.

I have 3 camera's I can shoot : 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 speed graphic (has a rangefinder on the side), Zeiss Super Ikonta 2.8/80mm, Leica IIIc using an f4/90mm elmar and f1.5/50mm Summarit (one day for each lens). so will load something up each day and double up a couple of times.

Hope this meets the rules, when does this start?...nevermind July 1.

oh, am I allowed to use my Rolleiflex?

Keith
06-14-2012, 15:51
Sounds like an interesting project. I should be able to slow down to 1 roll/day. Now. the big decision is which camera/film/lens to use - but there are still two weeks left for that.
Great idea by the way - and if we only can "publish" 2 shots from each day - editing will be tough - and good for us.

I was certain that you would probably be the only person on this forum who would actually have to slow down to meet the requirements Tom! :p

I'm really glad your joining in!

And everyone else of course! :)

drewbarb
06-14-2012, 16:28
Fun read here, and I like the idea, too. While as a darkroom printer and a digital idiot I am generally loathe to put photos on the interwebs, I'd love to join this project- mabe this will help me force myself into getting some stuff online!

Katie
06-15-2012, 04:44
In doing it now (on vacation) - does that count? A roll a day through the mamiya 7 on my two week trip...

steveyork
06-15-2012, 09:14
You could easily expose a roll with worthwhile in an hour. Just got for a walk. Easily done.

shadowfox
06-15-2012, 10:50
unspoken pressure?

Which one are you asking about Joe,
The unspoken part or the pressure part?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense the pressure to include digital earlier in the thread. So I'm commending Keith for standing up for film.

raid
06-15-2012, 11:07
I will join you.
This project sounds like lots of fun.

back alley
06-15-2012, 11:09

Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense the pressure to include digital earlier in the thread. So I'm commending Keith for standing up for film.

i thought perhaps it was a reference to me...

ruby.monkey
06-15-2012, 11:11
I just realised - if I can get away with six shots of 5x4 as an equivalent to a roll of film then I can do a different rangefinder each day.

raid
06-15-2012, 11:22
I may use a different camera/lens each day. I could have a digital camera and a film camera.
Man, this is fun.

Keith
06-15-2012, 15:10

It was as much about standing by my original idea as it was to do with film Will. I felt the whole thing was in danger of becoming diluted by offering too many options. Film keeps the intensity more on track IMO.

loquax ludens
06-15-2012, 15:26
Keith are you going to publish a consolidated final list of rules, at some point?

Keith
06-15-2012, 17:20
Keith are you going to publish a consolidated final list of rules, at some point?

Yes definitely. Nothing much will be different from what we've been discussing in this thread but I will start another thread probably on Monday evening my time with the exact requirements and rules.

The thing I like about this is it's not a competition ... it's about the experience and what we will be able to share with each other after it's done.

loquax ludens
06-15-2012, 19:43
The thing I like about this is it's not a competition ... it's about the experience and what we will be able to share with each other after it's done.

I like that too. Competition is fine, but keeping that out of the picture (ha!) allows one to focus (double ha!) on other characteristics of the assignment / project / activity.

Tsukiouji
06-16-2012, 10:17
I think it would also be interesting to see the contact sheets from which the two best images were chosen from ....
If the winner picture to be taken from a connected series of exposures, then yes, it would be awesome to see one's contact sheet.
But if the winner is just a lone unconnected shot, would other (say 35) shots be of any interest to you?

stillshunter
06-16-2012, 14:49
Chris N brought this to my attention - I think it was because I mentioned that I just finished rolling off half my bulk TMY yesterday. Great excuse to make more room in the fridge I reckon...well I'd only fill it with beer if not maxed out with silver halide. :o

But like many I'm a salaryman and light is precious and short for us Southerners right now so...
My thread title was 'A roll of film a day for seven days!'
This does not explicitly state seven consecutive days. Not meaning to be a pedant, but if it were simply "for seven days" in July this is a little different to "for seven consecutive days", and I'd be in....

Can you clarify please Keith?

P.S. Great idea BTW - I've run a few "Single in.." month-long PAD challenges in other forums so you have my sympathy with the tennis and badminton players....and please don't forget us more cloistered lovers of squash ;)

Cheers

gavinlg
06-16-2012, 15:02
I've avoided this for a while, but what the hell - I'm in. Going to give my contax a workout.

TXForester
06-16-2012, 15:24
I have more than seven film cameras, so there is a question what to use if I do a different camera with each roll? I think at least seven of nine Olympus cameras work, so I might shoot all Olympus/Zuiko.

loquax ludens
06-16-2012, 19:48
This does not explicitly state seven consecutive days. Not meaning to be a pedant, but if it were simply "for seven days" in July this is a little different to "for seven consecutive days", and I'd be in....

Can you clarify please Keith?

I'm not Keith, but I'll try to help out anyway.

While the title doesn't say "for seven consecutive days", that is clearly stated in Keith's first post. Unless he decides to change the rules, it is seven rolls of film in seven consecutive days within a 28 day period. One roll a day.

Here is the part about 7 continuous days from Keith's first post:

During a nominated period of twenty eight days starting whenever (to be decided), you have to shoot a full roll of film per day for seven continuous days ... that's seven rolls! You can start on day one or you can leave it to day twenty one but you must be committed to the idea and follow it through within this period. Shooting two rolls in one day is 'verboten' because this is about committment to a plan and sticking to it no matter how hard it may seem occasionally.

There is more explanation about the objectives and other rules in the first post.

stillshunter
06-16-2012, 20:04
I'm not Keith, but I'll try to help out anyway.

While the title doesn't say "for seven consecutive days", that is clearly stated in Keith's first post. Unless he decides to change the rules, it is seven rolls of film in seven consecutive days within a 28 day period. One roll a day.

Here is the part about 7 continuous days from Keith's first post:

There is more explanation about the objectives and other rules in the first post.

Ooops thanks LL!

shiro_kuro
06-16-2012, 20:10
If the winner picture to be taken from a connected series of exposures, then yes, it would be awesome to see one's contact sheet.
But if the winner is just a lone unconnected shot, would other (say 35) shots be of any interest to you?

Tsukiouji that is exactly what I was thinking about when I made the suggestion .... it would be awesome :D

Shooting a roll a day for seven consecutive days, it would be difficult for the shots not to be connected in some way But you are are correct if there are no connection to the images then there would be no point .... another thought is that most photographer are terrible at editing their own work . Perhaps showing all seven contact sheets and have Keith do the edit :D

Mark A. Fisher
06-27-2012, 10:48
I'm ready to go! Here is the line up I plan to use, with the matching film. Some of these I haven't shot in a while, and some have film to shoot before they're ready to join the fun, so...

Let the fun begin!

Mark

Ansco Speedex, CLA by Jurgen Kreckel - Ilford PanF+50

Nikon N90s, 20mm 2.8 Nikon Lens w/ Deep Red Filter - Kodak HIE Infrared Film

Yashica Mat 124 - Velvia 100

Nikon F100 with Tamron 28-105 lens - Ilford HP5+

Leica IIIC with Summaron 35mm - Velvia 50

Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/16 - Velvia 50

Mamiya 7II, 65mm lens - Acros 100

http://www.flickr.com/photos/princeofplastic/7456032874/in/photostream

Tsukiouji
07-24-2012, 22:57
Just want you to know that starting today I'll shoot minimum 1 roll film for 7 consecutive days with Agfa Silette-L viewfinder camera.