PDA

View Full Version : Gallery 10 or 20?

jan normandale
10-02-2005, 19:25
I have been a regular viewer of the Gallery. It is one of the things I like most at RFF.

Recently we have all agreed to some limitation on uploads, it seems to be working. Still if RFF members upload 3 shots in one day and 5 people upload between 3 -5 we have a situation where in a couple of hours some shots uploaded are ‘no longer on the gallery’. We used to have 20 shots on the gallery page for new material, now it is 10 shots.

I would like to find out a couple of things.

a) Would you prefer to see 10 or 20 shots on the gallery page;

b) or would you prefer to see a dedicated page that rotates out shots after 24 hours on the gallery and the number of gallery photos is not limited to 20

jano
10-02-2005, 20:51
I spent some time today trying to figure out the gallery here.. I wanted to see more pictures than the handful showing up when you click on the gallery.

I got frustrated, then after 20 minutes poking around I finally noticed some teeny, itsy, bitsy, tiny little text on the right, "1 day, 7days, 14 days, all"

I clicked on the 1 day, and sure 'nuff, it shows me the photos uploaded today. Perhaps if that were made more.. visible? :)

link to 1 day (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?limit=last1&cat=)

RayPA
10-02-2005, 21:02

(Jan,
Sorry I couldn't answer the 2nd bandwidth question you posed in the other thread. I put the extent of my IT knowledge into the first post.) :p

:)

jan normandale
10-03-2005, 09:03
I spent some time today trying to figure out the gallery here.. I wanted to see more pictures than the handful showing up when you click on the gallery.

I got frustrated, then after 20 minutes poking around I finally noticed some teeny, itsy, bitsy, tiny little text on the right, "1 day, 7days, 14 days, all"

I clicked on the 1 day, and sure 'nuff, it shows me the photos uploaded today. Perhaps if that were made more.. visible? :)

link to 1 day (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?limit=last1&cat=)

Jano, the visually challenged Jan thanks you. After reading this I have a solution that lets me see what members have put up for one day.

I'm a happy boy! Thanks. I think I'll let this poll die a natural death now. Not any further need for it if all of a day's work is visible. I just never saw that selection. Maybe you have a point though. Perhaps Jorge could make the letters / selection larger or of a different colour. I wonder how many RFFers are aware of this choice. Probably everyone but me. (joke)

thanks again

Jan

kiev4a
10-03-2005, 09:12
I like seeing 20 pixs in the gallery. I still believe the size of the uploads needs to be controlled, which would make the site operate better.

I also think there should be a maximum number of photos allowed per member -- say 50 or 100. That encourages folks to try to show their best rather than tring to create an historical archive -- most photos are seldom viewed after they disappear from the opening gallery page or the "rate my photo" section.

MP Guy
10-08-2005, 14:18
The reason for 10 instead of 20 is load speed and bandwidth.

jano
10-08-2005, 14:27
Jano, the visually challenged Jan thanks you.

From one visually challenged Jan to another, you're welcome :D

jano
-14 diopters :(

Hektor
10-08-2005, 14:56
10 pics per page is OK, 20 is better.

I can't look at the gallery every day, is it possible to store 3 days worth and then delete them on a rolling road basis ?

what happens to pictures in the gallery at moment ? - are they stored somewhere forever ?

MP Guy
10-08-2005, 15:49
the gallery pictures rotate as new ones are uploadsed. If you want to see 1 day, 7 day etc worth of pictures just click on the appropriate link in the gallery and you will see them all.

Hektor
10-08-2005, 15:52
That's great Jorge, thanks, the gallery seems fine as it is then.

JC.