PDA

View Full Version : monthly photo project - discussion thread

back alley
10-02-2005, 15:52
hey guys,

as promised...

i'm looking for ideas to help keep the interest level up as it pertains to the monthly photo project.

can you let me know what is working for you or what is not working.

i'm open to change or keeping it the same.

i'm open to new topics/subjects.

what about the timing?
franks says it would help to have the topics ahead of time each month.
so? monthly, quarterly, yearly? whadyathink?

all input welcome.
joe

Toby
10-02-2005, 16:07
I think a week before the beginning of the month is fine if its supposed to be an assignment -any longer makes it open to abuse. As for topics I'd favour simple one word themes maybe with some explantion to inspire the doubters but simple is best what's wrong with "my family" "the park" "work" " a day out" all these topics are straightforward and most people could fit them into their lives. After all isn't simplicity part of the RF ethos? For what it's worth if I'd set a theme of Tri-X I would have insisted every one pushed or pulled it at least one stop I'm a regular Tri - X user and that's what I'm going to do in the interest of fair play 1600 iso ahoy!!

taffer
10-02-2005, 16:27
I raise hand as being somehow lose with respect to the projects this year :o Had some serious issues till summer more or less. I kept shooting but somehow my mind went for free, just looking for what it was on it at the moment, and just for feeding my PAW.

Maybe we could try to introduce some new ideas, for example.

We could do a 'tell us a story' month. I mean, participants should end coming up with a previously determined number of pics (let's say 10, 12, 7, whatever, or even non determined) that would have to be part of a whole essay that should tell us something. They would be a free subject, be it 'demolition of the old school' or 'adventures at night clubs of dubious reputation' :D

We could alternate those kind of story months with regular ones, but I think that as well as it's important to come up with a photo shoot for a determined subject, it's as important to be able to sintezise a more or less compact story parting from a variable number of pictures, just as if it was meant to be done for a magazine.

At the end of the year, I think all those essays together could make a really good work set, and would be interesting not only for picture quality, but also for the stories behind the images.

My humble 0.02 cents :)

FrankS
10-02-2005, 16:30
My issue is with the short time frame. Is anyone else having trouble with the timeframe of 1 month? If not then I have no problem accepting the fact that I shoot too slowly and am unable to participate. I don't want changes to be made only for my benefit.

dcsang
10-02-2005, 16:56
My issue is with the short time frame. Is anyone else having trouble with the timeframe of 1 month? If not then I have no problem accepting the fact that I shoot too slowly and am unable to participate. I don't want changes to be made only for my benefit.

I've been agressively shooting film lately (thanks to you weenies :D) so I should be ok with the 1 month timeframe HOWEVER I do recognize the fact that, as it gets colder here, my shooting tends to become a lot less aggressive and as such, 1 month may be, as Frank stated, too short.

Dave

Doug
10-02-2005, 16:56
Frank, I struggle with the time-frame too. Finishing the roll of film, getting it processed, getting scans, selecting and preparing something worthy of upload...

But I also like the basic idea... for a time alert to a different photo concept than usual, perhaps trying something different. And the fun of sharing different interpretations of the assignment. All-round useful idea.

Our local photo club does this too, and we call it the monthly "Photo Focus", and bring prints to the meeting marking the end of the theme period. There too is this timeframe issue, made worse by communication issues.... not all members have email or attend each meeting. We're now trying announcing themes one month in advance.

back alley
10-02-2005, 17:33
keep it coming guys - some good stuff here.

joe

Aardvark Aallen
10-02-2005, 18:50
what about 12 topics for 2006 with 12 galleries; then put the appropriate material into each gallery as it is shot during the calendar 2006?

Possibly this would keep some of the RFF members happier?

Kin Lau
10-02-2005, 19:04
I put my shot in the Aug gallery last week :).

For those of us who bulk roll our own, we can always do a short roll. Goodness knows most of us have more than 1 camera, so it wouldn't be hard to set one camera aside for the monthly theme also.

Doug
10-02-2005, 20:26
Aardvark, wouldn't that change the whole purpose of the monthly photo project?

Kin Lau
10-03-2005, 15:24
How about making the Monthly projects more prominent (I keep forgetting what the current topic is, and keep having to look in the gallery)? A direct link from the front page to the current month project and/or the discussion thread?

dkapp
10-03-2005, 16:17
I've always found the past subjects too complex and difficult to remember. Maybe try to broaden the subject a little.

For example, the past assignments were a subject & a letter. Lets just drop off the letter part.

Some ideas for future assignments:

Reflections
Weather
Motion Blur
Phone
Abstract
Lines and Curves
Pathways
Silhouette
Minimalism
Wide Angle
Night Shots
Transportation
Architecture
Shadows
Blast From the Past
Patterns

Something like this would be much easier for me to remember as I'm out shooting.

Just brainstorming, hopefully this sparks other ideas :D

Dave

FrankS
10-03-2005, 16:24

Changing the basic set up may improve the monthly photo project. I can't do a month by month project.

If there is already lots of participation then don't fix what works, but if the participation is low, then changing the basic set up may be what's called for.

dkapp
10-03-2005, 16:31
Changing the basic set up may improve the monthly photo project. I can't do a month by month project.

If there is already lots of participation then don't fix what works, but if the participation is low, then changing the basic set up may be what's called for.

The timeline is fine for me since I shoot about 2x a week. I feel like I may be one of the few able to do so year round.

How much time do you think would be needed for your participation? I think that if we turn this into a quarterly project people may simply forget about it or lose interest.

I'm sure there is a good compromise in there somewhere.

Dave

Richard Black
10-03-2005, 16:31
My two cents, list the topics for a 3 month time period so those who shoot slowing, and possibly more thoughtfully, can arrange to have one or two a quarter. I like the idea of a theme as noted above.

Aardvark Aallen
10-03-2005, 16:51

You are right on that Doug. My idea was a trade off on 12 separate sequential timeline projects for 12 in a 'random access'. I just threw it out since there was a thread by Joe asking for ideas on increasing submissions to these projects.

Allen

dkapp
10-03-2005, 16:54
I like Richards idea, but it would be quarterly photo challenges instead of monthly. Working with his idea a little, maybe this would work:

Joe, your monthly challenge thread how about listing the current months theme then giving a preview for the following month. It could be something like this:

This months theme is: Reflections - Start posting your images (accepting submissions)
Next months theme is: Motion Blur - Start brainstorming and shooting for next month.

This would basically give people 2 months to shoot for the theme and 1 month to submit them.

Any ideas, thoughts or opinions from this? Any Pro's/ Con's of this advanced warning system :)

Dave

Kin Lau
10-03-2005, 18:02
Just an observation... if you stretch it out too far, we'll simply forget. I'm all for advance notice of the theme for 2 or 3 months ahead, but keep the projects monthly. If you decide to shot the pic for December's them today... just don't tell us :)

JimG
12-06-2005, 16:12
How about 'in my neighborhood" as a subject? Use images from in close proxmity to our homes. JimG.

GeneW
12-06-2005, 16:38
I'm wondering if there wouldn't be more participation if each month's theme were in the form of a discussion thread on the main page rather than a gallery folder -- kinda like monthly versions of Camera and Coffee.

I like the themes that have been suggested so far. Simple works best for me.

Gene

Byuphoto
12-06-2005, 16:59
I agree with Genes suggestion and think some projects suggestions could be
Hands
eye contact.
Around home
around town
the park
cemetaries

back alley
12-06-2005, 17:05
I'm wondering if there wouldn't be more participation if each month's theme were in the form of a discussion thread on the main page rather than a gallery folder -- kinda like monthly versions of Camera and Coffee.

I like the themes that have been suggested so far. Simple works best for me.

Gene

i like this idea also. it would be easy enough to make the thread a sticky and then unstick it when the new month's topic is stuck.

let's maybe hear from some more folks...the new year's a comin' and this would be an ideal time for a change.

joe

dcsang
12-06-2005, 17:07
ya know.. I haven't even been following this part of the site; and really, I think I should, to give me practice and make it more interactive - I'm with Gene on this one.. maybe more like a monthly camera and coffee; only without too much caffeine :D

Cheers
Dave

DougK
12-06-2005, 17:40
I think a sticky or a news thread for the monthly project is a good idea along with more lead time for the project. I don't check the gallery as often as I should so having the project in a more prominent place would help jog my brain cells when I do have time to shoot. By the time I remember to check the project it's usually over already. I'm also in favor of keeping the topics simpler and easier to remember and letting folks go wild with them.

back alley
12-06-2005, 18:14
simple topics?
and here i thought i was pretty simple already...;)

RML
12-06-2005, 23:08
Gene's idea sounds good. The "tell a story" idea is nice too. I struggle with the time frame, as others, but also I tend to forget about the whole monthly theme pretty quickly. A more prominetn palce, like Gene suggests, would increase my awareness and (hopefully) participation.

taffer
12-07-2005, 03:29
Another vote for Gene's idea, I usually find the threads a lot easier to follow than the gallery. There's so much movement on it that I can't stand from getting lost :)