PDA

View Full Version : (Chinese)(2nd hand) RF gear in Beijing?

RML
08-29-2004, 06:14
I'll be in Beijing in a month or two, for only about a week and with a very busy schedule.
Can anyone give me some adresses in Beijing where I can get good cameras at a fair price, without being ripped off? Oliver Racz on Photo.net already provided me with "Beijingshi Sheying Qicaicheng" (Beijing Photographic Equipments City) north of Wukesong subway station. Are there any other places?

I'm mostly interested in (Chinese) rangefinders, so a market or a local shop that sells second hand RF cameras and lenses would be good too. Can anyone give a price guide? And what can I expext to find, brand-wise and quality-wise?

RML
08-31-2004, 07:54
Is there no-one here with some information? :(

rover
08-31-2004, 08:07
I believe Taipei-metro mentioned Beijing in a recent post. You may try sending him a PM.

Taipei-metro
08-31-2004, 14:48
Sorry I don't have any ideas on Beijing photo streets.
I would look for, Seagull 205a, with a 4-element 38mm (on the lens reads Haiou,which means seagull in Mandarin,38mm 2.8). In Beijing,I'd say around $60 euro(Chinese Ren-min-bi or Chinese People's dollar $480).
Or a Phenix 205 with many variations for the same price, with a 50mm f2.8,also a 4-element lens.Both cameras are with a meter,0.7 m minimum focusing distance and max 1/300 sec speed. A L mount version of this lens was also made.
At this price high built quality is not expected,but you can get the cameras with only Chinese characters on them which looks cool(for me)!
I have a Phenix 205,I like it a lot.
Bring a Chinese friend who speaks Mandarin with you.In State run Dept. stores probably the price was fixed,if private run stores,as Bill said,bargain!
Also Seagull TLR 107 or 109s are great deals too,model name may vary,look at the lens,if says 4E something, then it's a 4-element lens,and even the old Japanese renown photographer Akiyama recomends it.Buy the camera with Chinese logo on it for a different.Brand new one $150-200 euro.
The Chinese dollars exchange rate may rise for up to 15 % soon,so expect a little price increase.

chioubaccalovin
06-13-2005, 18:21
that sheying qicai cheng is enough man... you can spend all day in there. when i went there in 1998 there were lots and lots and lots of stalls selling old cameras. last time i went back, most everyone had converted to selling digital, but you can still find some really interesting cameras there.

I remember seeing a "Eastern Wind" chinese hasselblad copy. there were only 50 made, and they were of very high quality, much better finish than Kiev88s. Chairman Mao's wife was a avid photographer and these cameras were supposedly copied at her request. it was selling for $13,000usd at the time. so i'm sure its probably still there.

chioubaccalovin
06-13-2005, 18:25
i still see chinese tourists use old crappy chinese rangefinders... i remember pointing out to this old man at the summer palace that he had his lenscap on. you can probably offer any of them $10 us dollars and they would gladly give you their camera. but you'll find cameras at antique markets like the one at panjayuar. mostly they are crappy old chinese folders though.

onnovisser
07-03-2005, 05:44
Lived in Beijing for a year, the wukesong place definitely is the best. It's where all the second hand stuff goes. In the far right corner is a guy who repairs a lot of old cameras, don't skip his stand and make sure to barter hard! And indeed bring a chinese friend if you can. (or check out the stuff first, then send a chinese friend in to buy it without you there.. they'll probably sell it for a lower price then :)

onnovisser
07-03-2005, 05:45
Woops ! saw this is about a year old :)
hope you found something nice!

RML
07-03-2005, 09:25
No problem, Onno. I'll be in Beijing more often, though perhaps only next year again.

Where is Wukesong? I usually don't wander too far from Jianguomenwai and Sanlitun embassy districts, mainly because we've found the wonderful Beijing City hotel there and because the Dutch and Mongolian embassies are there. Of course, we sometimes wander off here and there (like to the Beijing Amusement park) but mainly stay to the better-known attractions.

So, if you have any information on photo-related places or can point out some lesser-known (photographically interesting?) places, don't hesitate to let me know. :)

Jun Yan
07-04-2005, 06:31
#40 WuKeSong Rd, HaiDian district , take tube and get off at WuKeSong

Enjoy ur trip to China ^_^