PDA

View Full Version : RFF Postcard Project, anyone?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rbiemer
11-22-2011, 13:53
I have participated in a few of the Print Swaps we've done here at RFF and enjoyed doing so.
But, I was thinking that something a bit more casual might be fun as well.

So, how about a postcard project?

I'm thinking to collect email and mailing addresses from everyone who wants to play, then I will email all those addresses to all of us. We then mail a 4" x 6" postcard to all the addresses in the list.

BW or color, no subject restrictions--well other than what the post office won't mail or might get someone in trouble; the image will be visible after all!:), the same image on all your postcards( in other words, if we get 100 of us doing this, each person will make 99 postcards of the same photo), and home printed or outsourced--whichever the sender prefers.

Also, I'm thinking that since this time of year can be pretty hectic, to plan for mailing early in January 2012.

I suggest 4"x6" size because, at least here in the United States, that size is the least expensive to mail--29 cents domestic and 80 or 98 cents international.

Who wants to play?

Rob

EDIT: As of 8 February, 2012 starting with post #479 (http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1807624#post1807624 (http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1807624#post1807624)) you can see what we have sent to each other. Page 19, I think, if you have the default post number per page set. I see 40 posts per page when I'm logged in and that means starting on page 12.

brainwood
11-22-2011, 14:04
Great idea Rob sounds like it could be fun . I'm not sure about mailing 100 or so it would get pricey particulary international as I'm sure it would turn out to be. So long as the postage doesn't get to extreme I'm up for playing

Chris

Edit - maybe groups of ten or twenty would work if there's enough interest

rbiemer
11-22-2011, 14:07
Chris,
OK!
Rob

rover
11-22-2011, 14:09
Ok, I will play

paulfish4570
11-22-2011, 14:32
this sounds fun, but it could, indeed, get really expensive at 50 cents per print plus 29 cents for postage. that's 79 cents per print. 100 cards = $79.

ricnak
11-22-2011, 14:50
Good Idea.

Count me in.

Brad Bireley
11-22-2011, 15:33
Count me in.

kxl
11-22-2011, 16:32
I can offer a solution to the expense, but it will be somewhat self-serving, so if this doesn't fly, that's okay.

1) My website, leonin.net, is hosted by Smugmug (Pro account).

2) I can create a password-protected gallery where I can post your images (you email your images to me) - you can watermark your images with your copyright if you'd like.

3) We can set the price at $0.50 (Luster or glossay) and $1 (metallic) - 4x6 prints ONLY. This covers my cost plus the Smugmug commission plus any incremental tax liability.

4) Whoever wants to order a photo can enter the password (I'll post as a thread here at RFF). Smugmug prints and ships the prints.

5) I can take down the gallery after an agreed-upon period (a month? two months?)

Again, this is only a suggestion, but it does eliminate the printing and mailing costs for the photographer.

Rob - since you are the OP, I will defer to you to make the final call. Let me know.

Joe (backalley) - if my post is in violation of RFF rules, please delete my post.

rbiemer
11-22-2011, 18:16
Hmmm,
Thanks for you folks that already want to participate!

I don't think we'll get 100 of us for this but I do appreciate that the expense might get to be a bit much.

Kieth: yours' is a kind offer and if anyone wants to do this this way I think it would be fine but I want to print what I send myself and am happy to address and send 'em out from my local post office.

!00 is probably too large a number, so what number is better for everyone? 25? 50?

Or, how about this: I'll post my email address in this thread and who ever wants to play, up to what ever number we think will work, can send me their info during a specified time period--say, two weeks--after that, I will then send the list of us to each person and we can all then work towards mailing in the first week of January.

I'll let this "percolate" for a bit and see what y'all think.

I absolutely want this to be fun more than anything else!
Rob

ricnak
11-22-2011, 18:34
I like your way Rob. It is nice and simple.

Damaso
11-22-2011, 19:57
I've been making postcards for years! Happy to join in...

http://damaso.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Harmony-Front1.jpg

zuikologist
11-22-2011, 20:40
I like the idea. I'm in.

drewbarb
11-22-2011, 20:47
Great idea Rob! I'm kind-of obsessed with post cards- I've collected them for years, and love sending them. I'd love to be in on this project.

dct
11-22-2011, 21:40
Give it a try. If we really increase over 100, we might look for a new direction.
So count me in.

rover
11-23-2011, 00:13
Rob, I like the basic idea too rather than central printing and mailing. Just my preference.

How about we let this go as you suggest. If the numbers grow too large then when you send the addresses to the team do so assigning each person 25 or 50, however many names, to mail cards to. This way anyone who wants to can participate, the cost will be capped and everyone will get the same # of cards. If some folks would like to send cards to all, that would be fine too.

Ok, that is my idea.

dct
11-23-2011, 02:54
And not to forget: Every card sujet should be posted after the event in a separate gallery. Just to have a review in a few years on it.

rbiemer
11-23-2011, 03:51
Rover,
I like your addition and I'll be happy to do that.

So. Today is the 23rd of November and I will be happy to start collecting addresses.
Please email me at: rob<dot>biemer<at>gmail<dot>com and put "RFF Postcard" in the subject line. Your address in the body of the email.

On the 10th of December, I will take all the addresses and send them out to the participants.

Which leads to this question: if we get a lot of people how many folks should I group together? If I'm counting right there are now 12 of us and hopefully some more folks will want to join in so I'm thinking 24 or 25?

But what number of cards are you each comfortable with?

Again, my address:

rob<dot>biemer<at>gmail<dot>com and put "RFF Postcard" in the subject line. Your address in the body of the email.

Rob

jsrockit
11-23-2011, 04:24
Yes... I'll do this too...

paulfish4570
11-23-2011, 04:29
count me in, too.

semordnilap
11-23-2011, 06:35
I'm in as well! Sounds like a lot of fun.

semordnilap
11-23-2011, 06:37
And... Damaso, where (or how) do you print your postcards?

zauhar
11-23-2011, 06:59
Count me in - I need practice printing, this will give me lots.

Has to be the same image on each card?

Randy

zauhar
11-23-2011, 07:27
Very cool - note that Ilford supplies paper in correct size and weight with the postcard form layout on the reverse side.

Randy

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/834846-Ilford-Multigrade-MGIV-RC-Portfolio-Postcard-Double-weight-4x6-100

infinitydreams
11-23-2011, 07:30
I'm in, so will email you!

shadowfox
11-23-2011, 08:18
Very cool - note that Ilford supplies paper in correct size and weight with the postcard form layout on the reverse side.

Randy

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/834846-Ilford-Multigrade-MGIV-RC-Portfolio-Postcard-Double-weight-4x6-100

Randy that is super cool.
It must be how darkroom printers spread the news about their services back in the old days :)

shadowfox
11-23-2011, 08:22
This is for those who prefer online service:
http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-postcard

Or print on inkjet. Anyone know where to get high grade inkjet paper that already has postcard form on the back? I can't find anything other than Avery or other office-quality papers.

I'm thinking Ilford or Hahnemule class.

semordnilap
11-23-2011, 13:25
This is for those who prefer online service:
http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-postcard

Or print on inkjet. Anyone know where to get high grade inkjet paper that already has postcard form on the back? I can't find anything other than Avery or other office-quality papers.

I'm thinking Ilford or Hahnemule class.

Yeah, 'twould be great if Ilford made the same in inkjet paper.

How's the print quality form Zazzle?

And lastly, speaking of Avery, it would be great to have the names and addresses in a spreadsheet so they would be easy to print onto labels! I'm sure the step of hand-addressing each one would kill it for me.

bob338
11-23-2011, 13:30
My wife just forwarded this to me; Vistaprint is offering 100 postcards for free, you just pay for shipping. I think it ends pretty soon, though...

http://www.vistaprint.com/freemulti2011pc.aspx?AFFID=473&GP=11%2f23%2f2011+5%3a30%3a57+PM&GPS=2254167462&GNF=1&GPLSID=7968504943

semordnilap
11-23-2011, 13:41
Looks like you can print them on MOO as well... They let you use a different image for each card, usually the same back:

http://us.moo.com/products/packsize.html

Not free, but flexible.

rbiemer
11-23-2011, 17:11
Count me in - I need practice printing, this will give me lots.

Has to be the same image on each card?

Randy

Randy, well the idea is that each of us uses one image on our cards we are sending--in other words, when the list is final I will be making however many copies of the same photo to send to each of the other folks on the list.

And this is what I think I will be using:

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/60lb-polar-matte-double-sided.html
Not too expensive at $14.50 for 100 4" x 6" sheets and they are double sided so I can print my image on one side and a "typical" postcard layout on the other. Matte finish so I expect it to hold ink pretty well. Probably I'll need to feed them through my printer one at a time.

Not sure, yet, if I'll address these with a pen or print the addresses with my ink-jet; I may be able to put the addresses into a spreadsheet but I'm not very expert in Excel or Word. If I can I will and will then send them out to y'all that way, If I can't, then I will just send y'all the list.

Send me your addresses!
Rob

tj01
11-23-2011, 18:01
I cut 8X10 fiber paper into 3 4X6 for postcard size. Fiber paper really has the weight as a postcard, and the reverse side goes well with ink. I just hand written 40+ postcards, licked 40 stamps and air mail stickers. Only took 1 hour to in the darkroom to get them out once you have everything set up.
Each post card would then cost me the equivalent of USD 0.22 cents ( I use Ilford MGIV FB ), and stamps cost the equivalent of USD 0.16 for anywhere around the world. If you add developer and fixer cost, I think each silver print postcard would cost USD 0.50.

jan normandale
11-23-2011, 18:44
Hi Rob.. last time I did one of these at RFF it was a single print. It worked out fine. I'm up for some fun. I could send all the same but I'd like to send a mix of about 5 different shots just to make it a bit more interesting. There's a group of street photographers I belong to and we did one with 'post cards' We went on line and purchased a back to apply to the 4x6 prints it worked well.

I saw reference to two different counts. One for 50 the other for 100. I'd be up for 50 I don't feel like committing to 100 at this time of year

rover
11-24-2011, 01:31
Rover,
I like your addition and I'll be happy to do that.

So. Today is the 23rd of November and I will be happy to start collecting addresses.
Please email me at: rob<dot>biemer<at>gmail<dot>com and put "RFF Postcard" in the subject line. Your address in the body of the email.

On the 10th of December, I will take all the addresses and send them out to the participants.

Which leads to this question: if we get a lot of people how many folks should I group together? If I'm counting right there are now 12 of us and hopefully some more folks will want to join in so I'm thinking 24 or 25?

But what number of cards are you each comfortable with?

Again, my address:

rob<dot>biemer<at>gmail<dot>com and put "RFF Postcard" in the subject line. Your address in the body of the email.

Rob

I just sent my address. Depending on how many folks participate I hope to be able to share a photo with everyone.

krötenblender
11-24-2011, 02:26
I'm in too. Great idea. I'm comfortable sending postcards to up to 25 people, more would be too expensive an time consuming for me.

One question was asked, that was not answered: must all my postcards have the same picture on it? I would prefer sending a couple of different images.

dct
11-24-2011, 02:35
I still opt for the initial idea: One man (woman!) one image. If we were finally 40 players, every one of us would receive 39 different images from all the people. And the ongoing discussion threads will talk about images that all of us did receive.

And it is cheeper too. And simpler, preparing 40 equal postcards than 40 different ones.

Of course, just my opinion.

raathistle
11-24-2011, 03:16
This sounds like a great idea, and gives me an excuse to spend some more time in the darkroom

Matus
11-24-2011, 04:08
Sounds like a great idea. I am in.

Would 4x5" contact prints be acceptable? (I am not sure I manage 100 of them though :) )

rbiemer
12-01-2011, 13:11
The basic idea for this postcard project is that each of us gets the same photos and I think that is an important part of the project's aesthetic.

Size: I suggested postcards because that size is the least expensive to mail.
For US mailers, the post office has this about postcard sizes:

Postcards

Maximum size is 6" long x 4 1/4" high.
Minimum size is 5" long x 3 1/2" high.
Max thickness is 0.016" (or 16pt paper).
Anything smaller than 3 1/2" tall, 5" long, or 0.007" thick can’t be mailed.

So, I think a 4 x 5 contact print would be fine.
It seems to be a bit different for mailing to international addresses from the US:
The maximum size is the same but the minimum size is different: 51/2" long by 3/12" high. Not sure why that is?

Two other things:
FIRSTLY: Because of our , ummm, hiatus...I think I will collect addresses for longer than until 10 December.
So, I will happily collect addresses until 24 December. And I will send the addresses out to every one by 1 January, 2012.
We should all plan to mail by the middle of January.

Which leads nicely into...
SECONDLY:As I type this, I have 8 or 9 addresses that folks sent me before the break. And we have around two dozen folks who've responded to this thread. So, a reminder of my email:

I promise not to use anyone's address for anything other than this project!

Rob

froyd
12-01-2011, 13:29
How about just sending one picture to the person next in line on the list? The guy before me sends me a picture he took and I send one of my own to the next guy in line. So we all only need to mail one postcard. All entries could then be posted online as well.

zauhar
12-01-2011, 13:32
How about just sending one picture to the person next in line on the list? The guy before me sends me a picture he took and I send one of my own to the next guy in line. So we all only need to mail one postcard. All entries could then be posted online as well.

Ah, I wanted to get a bunch of postcards!

No one ever writes me. ;-(

Randy

rover
12-01-2011, 14:57
Good idea to make this the first project of 2012.

brainwood
12-02-2011, 14:31
Hi Rob

Limiting it to 24 or so makes sense to me

Address sent

Chris

randolph45
12-02-2011, 15:06
Im guessing this would be a challenge for me, but i remember seeing something similar.A large group of local artists were give the task of producing a single 4x4 art piece to be grouped togeather and then sold individually. the buyer could pick any number depending on what they thought would work as a combination.The pricing was under $10 each. So count me in too if its not to late :)

rover
12-02-2011, 15:54
Everyone interested please be sure to send your contact info to Rob via email to get on the list.

Thanks.

The basic idea for this postcard project is that each of us gets the same photos and I think that is an important part of the project's aesthetic.

Size: I suggested postcards because that size is the least expensive to mail.
For US mailers, the post office has this about postcard sizes:

So, I think a 4 x 5 contact print would be fine.
It seems to be a bit different for mailing to international addresses from the US:
The maximum size is the same but the minimum size is different: 51/2" long by 3/12" high. Not sure why that is?

Two other things:
FIRSTLY: Because of our , ummm, hiatus...I think I will collect addresses for longer than until 10 December.
So, I will happily collect addresses until 24 December. And I will send the addresses out to every one by 1 January, 2012.
We should all plan to mail by the middle of January.

Which leads nicely into...
SECONDLY:As I type this, I have 8 or 9 addresses that folks sent me before the break. And we have around two dozen folks who've responded to this thread. So, a reminder of my email:

Rob

jcrutcher
12-02-2011, 16:26
Count me in! Great idea.

dct
12-03-2011, 00:11
[...snip...]
As I type this, I have 8 or 9 addresses that folks sent me before the break. And we have around two dozen folks who've responded to this thread. So, a reminder of my email:

Rob

Thanks for your effort, Rob. Just as a confirmation for the participants who already sent you an email, I have a suggestion: May you post the list of just the RFF userid of the confirmed people weekly? This would be a double check for us that the mail registration went well thru your books and we all will see that list growing.

Thanks again,
Valentino

krötenblender
12-05-2011, 23:14
Is it dead? I hope not...

rover
12-06-2011, 00:50
Is it dead? I hope not...

No, send Rob your address and it will in fact be growing.

krötenblender
12-06-2011, 02:21
I did send my address, but havent got an answer, yet. So I hoped, that there would be an answer to post #46. The idead is too nice, I'm really looking forward to select an image and make postcards.

rbiemer
12-06-2011, 07:16
No this project is not dead!
I honestly had not thought to send email replies to you kind people who have sent me their addresses. Some times I have all the social skills of a brick. :o
So, we have, as I write this post 16 or 17 people.
I will send out email replies to all of you this morning and will do that for any more players as their emails come to my in box.

A reminder of my email:

Rob

hipsterdufus
12-06-2011, 08:10
Seems like a cool project. I'm in.

krötenblender
12-06-2011, 08:14
No this project is not dead!
I honestly had not thought to send email replies to you kind people who have sent me their addresses. Some times I have all the social skills of a brick. :o

Never mind. I hope, I will reach that skills-level one day... :D

I think, with this rate, we will have a reasonable number at the end, so it is not a problem to send a card to everybody.

Can't wait until January...

pevelg
12-06-2011, 08:57
I'm in, email sent. Excited to get some mail!. :D

sara
12-06-2011, 09:25
Eeeks I want to join in but am on a holiday till Feb 17...in this time will take lots of photos but can only develop them when I get back!

cosmonaut
12-06-2011, 09:34
I think a limit of 25 sounds good. Who picks the print? and should it say something about your hometown and does it have to be taken with an RF?
25 limit and I'm in....

shadowfox
12-06-2011, 10:00
Rob, you may want to cap it at 20 people.
Better less ambitious and have a successful and fun project.

Speaking from experience :)

rbiemer
12-06-2011, 10:19
Sara: Sorry that the timing is not good for you. Hopefully this will not be the only time we do this! If this one works out well, I'd be happy to organize another one.

Cosmo: My intent is to exchange postcards with how ever many folks have sent me their mailing addresses. But I know not every one will be able/want to undertake a huge number of cards. So I think I will divide the total number into smaller groups, if necessary, and then give people the option to let me know how many cards they want to mail. I've asked the thread about this before and, so far, there is no clear consensus about the upper limit folks are comfortable with. 25 has been mentioned and I think that is a good number so I plan to use that as my group size. If we get enough folks that want to do this.

Will: I would rather be inclusive than exclusive but I see your point. See my response to Cosmo for my solution; I think that's a workable way to do this.

Regards,
Rob

EDIT:
Cosmo, photo choice is entirely up to you for your cards and I am not especially concerned about what gear anyone uses.
Rob

robert blu
12-06-2011, 10:41
I would like to be in, but not so sure if I manage to have prints ready for beginning january. When is dead line for shipping post cards? I understood middle jjanuary, is it correct or did I miss anything?
robert

rbiemer
12-06-2011, 10:49
I would like to be in, but not so sure if I manage to have prints ready for beginning january. When is dead line for shipping post cards? I understood middle jjanuary, is it correct or did I miss anything?
robert

Robert, Sorry for being unclear: you are correct, I proposed mailing by the middle of January. The beginning of January(I will email the address list to everyone on 1Jan, 2012) is when everyone will have the addresses.

Rob

semordnilap
12-06-2011, 11:02
How about mailing by January 20? It's a good, round date, and gives about 3 weeks from sending of addresses to mailing.

krötenblender
12-06-2011, 11:07
Nah, please let's not wait too long (can't even wait until mid-January...). If all this is a success (no doubt about that), we can do it again...

jesse1dog
12-06-2011, 13:35
Just seen this thread and want to be involved too.
Will send email.
Must chose a print that I haven't posted here before.
Great idea.

jesse

Tompas
12-06-2011, 13:44
Hmm, a 'postcard international' (23,5x12,5cm) is 0,75 € here in/from Germany -- so I'm in for up to about 15, or more if you're not all from oversees. :-)

zauhar
12-06-2011, 13:45
The limit of 25 cards sounds about right to me.

Randy

nighstar
12-06-2011, 17:35
i love collecting postcards and this seems like a great opportunity to get them from around the world. :) while my photography is undoubtedly subpar (sorry for the "meh" postcard in advance!), i would like to participate.

but i wonder if the proposed 25 limit has already been met.... email sent. actually, more than 25 would probably be a problem for me because postage in Australia is damn expensive...

jan normandale
12-06-2011, 19:38
Eeeks I want to join in but am on a holiday till Feb 17...in this time will take lots of photos but can only develop them when I get back!

Sara, I just went thru your flickr account. Lots of good shots there already. I wouldn't worry about doing new work for this one. It's only one image times 25. Pick one and get the prints at a Jessops or where ever you go and send them out. They will be mailed so they are going to get manhandled and scuffed it's not a photo competition where images need to be pristine.

You can have the images in the next few days and then it's just writing addresses. Post them as you can. I think Bob would be fine but I'll stand aside for his interpretation when he sees this.

dct
12-06-2011, 20:21
[...snip...]
but i wonder if the proposed 25 limit has already been met.... email sent. actually, more than 25 would probably be a problem for me because postage in Australia is damn expensive...

I see the upraising problem too. From continental Europe most of the addresses will be overseas.

A suggestion: Why not continuing collect addresses until Januar 1st, as mentioned by rbiemer and then make several groups, if we are more than, say, 25?

1st session January 20th (1st come, 1st serve in the list)
2nd session somewhere in March 2012 (the remaing +some willing of the 1st group again to fill up if required)

seakayaker1
12-06-2011, 20:57
Sent along my my address, look forward to receiving the list.

. . . . . let me know if you already have a full house.

Thanks

rbiemer
12-07-2011, 05:17
Folks,
Let me very clear about this: I will NOT limit this to any particular number. I will divide the total number of players into smaller groups if necessary. If that division happens, I will let every one know and you can then tell me if you want all the addresses or not.

As of now (9am EST, December 7, 2011) I have 24 addresses. And I'm hoping to get more.

So,
Come one, come all!

Sara: Jan's suggestion is a good one. I'd be delighted if you can participate!

My email address again:

rob<dot>biemer<at>gmail<dot>com

Regards,
Rob

krötenblender
12-07-2011, 07:05
The longer I think about it, the more I prefer also not to limit the number of people. I have looked up, how much it would cost me here in germany to print cards and send them, and I can easily afford to send more than the 25 cards, which were my limit at the beginning.

I see it this way: if I get as many cards as I send, I see this as kind of buying a very interesting photo collection from RFF members from all over the world. Considering the quality of images, I mostly see here, this is a very good deal. Especially since all of them are original prints, signed by the photographer itself! (who knows, what some of them are worth in 20 years... ;-) )

And since Rob says, he will split the groups so, that everybody gets the number of addresses, that he can afford, nobody is forced out of the project. You can participate to your own limit.

shadowfox
12-07-2011, 08:09
Folks,
Let me very clear about this: I will NOT limit this to any particular number. I will divide the total number of players into smaller groups if necessary. If that division happens, I will let every one know and you can then tell me if you want all the addresses or not.

Rob,

When it exceeds 25, will you divide it based on:

1. Minimum geographic distribution (so not one person ended up with 25 international postage)
2. Maximum geographic distribution (so everyone gets as many international addresses as possible)
3. Random

I personally like to get as many international postcards as possible :)

rover
12-07-2011, 08:19
To be fair to Rob, I think we should not drive him that crazy, and let this be as easy to organize as possible. I think Will has made a very good simple suggestion in his last post. Ultimately, let's not get too complicated with this.

robert blu
12-07-2011, 08:24
I am in ! Great idea !
robert

tomtofa
12-07-2011, 08:40
I'm in. Sounds like fun.

dct
12-07-2011, 10:41
[...snip...]I personally like to get as many international postcards as possible :)

Exactly!
my .20 ct

Matus
12-07-2011, 11:35
Rob,

... me too, if possible ... :)

nighstar
12-07-2011, 11:44
I see it this way: if I get as many cards as I send, I see this as kind of buying a very interesting photo collection from RFF members from all over the world. Considering the quality of images, I mostly see here, this is a very good deal. Especially since all of them are original prints, signed by the photographer itself! (who knows, what some of them are worth in 20 years... ;-) )

very good point. maybe i'll be able to afford more than 25 if i think about it that way, but as of yet i haven't even gotten my x-mas shopping for the family done.... :eek:

dct
12-07-2011, 11:48
very good point. maybe i'll be able to afford more than 25 if i think about it that way, but as of yet i haven't even gotten my x-mas shopping for the family done.... :eek:

You too? I feel with you: It's the same shame every year :angel:

krötenblender
12-07-2011, 12:11
You may present coupons for nice international photo-postcards this year... ;-)

rbiemer
12-08-2011, 06:40
As of this morning, we are about 28 people.
Not too bad!

As to how I will divide the total, I'm not sure but I do want to try to give every one a good mix of addresses. So that no one person gets all "local" (to them) addresses nor all overseas (again, to them) addresses.

And a bump for my email:

rob<dot>biemer<@>gmail<dot>com

Thanks,all!
Rob

rover
12-08-2011, 12:12
Bump again.

isorgb
12-08-2011, 12:40

... me too, if possible ... :)

I can not wait ;)
Who wants to get a postcard from Poland?

Excellent project.

rover
12-08-2011, 12:50
I don't think I have ever got mail from Poland before.

I am going to get a small portfolio book to put the cards I get in.

nighstar
12-08-2011, 12:59
yep, mine will go into a little album just like my collection of postcards from Japan. :D

blw
12-08-2011, 15:43
My wife works for the USPS, so hell yeah...I'm in. I'll send you an email tonight Rob.

And yes, I'd love a postcard from Poland.

semordnilap
12-08-2011, 18:06
I think if it stays around 30-35, we shouldn't divide the group. I'm okay with a larger number.

dct
12-09-2011, 02:31
yep, mine will go into a little album just like my collection of postcards from Japan. :D

I will do the same thing. In a second stage. Firstly I will pin all the images on a wall and take an image of them.

That said, I'm still in for one group only, to get postcard from whole over the world, as long we don't reach the 100s.

Is this a form of PCCS??? :eek: am I infected with the Post Card Collector Syndrome??? And this now, when I finally have my GAS under control... :bang:

jesse1dog
12-10-2011, 08:49
Interesting!
I have just unpacked my stack of commercially produced postcard size prints - they arrived this morning. Quality of print is very acceptable I think but the paper is really too thin to make a postable postcard, and, details have been printed slap in the middle of the 'address' side!
I seem to have two possibilities - paste a sheet of thin card to the back of each, or pop the print into an unsealed envelope. As far as time and effort is concerned I favour the second option. Also it does have the advantage of possible less damage to the picture during transit.
So, unless I get banned from the exchange, you guys will get a postcard sized print in an envelope - and you will still get a stamp, foreign or not!
Incidentally not all postcards are the same size - my postcard size prints are 5.25" x 4" or thereabouts!
Any comments?

jesse

rbiemer
12-10-2011, 09:26
jesse,
I just emailed you but the short version is NO you are NOT "banned".

... So, unless I get banned from the exchange, you guys will get a postcard sized print in an envelope - and you will still get a stamp, foreign or not!
jesse

I am starting to get excited about this project! And trying to narrow down my short list of photos to just the one I'll be sending y'all.

Not certain about how I will display these--I don't have a large enough refrigerator to magnet them all to so I think that pinning them to a wall for a while and then into a looseleaf binder will be the plan.

We are at 31 people as I type this post.
2 weeks to go for collecting addresses.
Send me your addresses, folks!
Email to:

Regards,
Rob

rbiemer
12-14-2011, 07:21
A bit of a bump for this project.
If you want to participate, email me.
"RFF Postcard" in the subject line, your mailing address in the body of the email.
My email:
Thanks!
Rob

ampguy
12-14-2011, 08:55
I am going to up the stakes a bit. If you are lucky enough to get one of my cards, take a photo of it with you in it, at some landmark of your country or city, and I will print that out and hang it in one of my cafe or coffee shop galleries that I curate for. You can put your url or something at the bottom so folks can see/learn more about you. Maybe buy your photos.

dct
12-14-2011, 13:10
Ampguy: Now that is an amazing new direction these project could go!

This additional aspect excites me.

jan normandale
12-14-2011, 17:55
Interesting!
I have just unpacked my stack of commercially produced postcard size prints - they arrived this morning. Quality of print is very acceptable I think but the paper is really too thin to make a postable postcard, and, details have been printed slap in the middle of the 'address' side!
I seem to have two possibilities - paste a sheet of thin card to the back of each, or pop the print into an unsealed envelope. As far as time and effort is concerned I favour the second option. Also it does have the advantage of possible less damage to the picture during transit.
So, unless I get banned from the exchange, you guys will get a postcard sized print in an envelope - and you will still get a stamp, foreign or not!
Incidentally not all postcards are the same size - my postcard size prints are 5.25" x 4" or thereabouts!
Any comments?

jesse

Jesse.. I've done one of these on another site from RFF. I used these kind of backs to send my 4x6's out.

photo postcard kit (http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Postcard-Turn-Photos-Cards/dp/B001RI22KK/ref=pd_ybh_21?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DA9J6RY60PYTMSQWBQ4)

robert blu
12-15-2011, 12:52
I ' m having my cards printed by Moo. Should be ready jan 15th. Hope it works well.
robert

jan normandale
12-15-2011, 13:06
I ' m having my cards printed by Moo. Should be ready jan 15th. Hope it works well.
robert

Robert, what is the cost per card from Moo this might be a better idea. I'd like to see how the image comes out first though.

sojournerphoto
12-15-2011, 13:12
I'm in. I'll print my own on the inkjet:)

brainwood
12-15-2011, 13:20
what is the cost per card from Moo this might be a better idea. I'd like to see how the image comes out first though.

Jan . I'm going down the Moo printing route too. If you buy 60 it works out around 42p per card and the print quality is very good having done them in the the past

Chris

rbiemer
12-18-2011, 09:37
A very nice thing to do, ampguy!

As of this morning (Sunday 18, December), we are at 32 people. And just about a week to go.

Pretty good turn out for this so far!
Any one else interested in participating, please email me your address:

"RFF Postcard" in the subject line, your mailing address in the body of the email.
My email:
Thanks!
Rob

robert blu
12-18-2011, 12:30
Robert, what is the cost per card from Moo this might be a better idea. I'd like to see how the image comes out first though.

I'm not sure about quality, it is a test for me as well. I' send you a post card anyway! Cost included normal shipment to Italy and IVA, 21% now :() is slightly less than 40 EUR for 40 cards.
robert

pggunn
12-18-2011, 15:44
Sounds great Rob. I'm in.

jesse1dog
12-19-2011, 13:36
jan - thanks for the link to the 'self adhesive make your own postcard' link.
Only just seen your posting today.
Great idea, but seems all the packs are States side.
However the idea is a good one and I'm getting samples from this side of the pond. If the price is good, and the quality too, the cost per postcard should be somewhere between 10p and 15p a card - got my photo prints for 1p each plus 1˝p each postage and packing!

jesse

Matus
12-19-2011, 14:07
OK, I have just ordered one pack of THESE (http://www.nordfoto.de/nfvshops/ilford-multigrade-rc-portfolio-1k-10x15-100-blatt-von-ilford-analoge-fotografie-verbrauchsmaterial.html) which will hopefully be enough for all of you guys. Now I have to choose (or shoot) something nice and then I am off to contact printing :)

pggunn
12-19-2011, 14:15
I don't know if any of you in North America have used Overnight Prints before, but they do premium quality 4x6 postcards for $21.55 per 100 single-sided, or $33.95 per 100 printed on both sides. That's from an offset press and the image quality is very, very good. The minimum quantity for premium cards is 100. I've always been very pleased with their work.

They also provide the option of a "digital" press with a minimum order of 25, but 100 double-sided are only $11.85.

I have no ties with them other than being a satisfied customer. They are definitely worth checking out.

Overnight Prints (http://www.overnightprints.com)

shadowfox
12-19-2011, 14:23
OK, I have just ordered one pack of THESE (http://www.nordfoto.de/nfvshops/ilford-multigrade-rc-portfolio-1k-10x15-100-blatt-von-ilford-analoge-fotografie-verbrauchsmaterial.html) which will hopefully be enough for all of you guys. Now I have to choose (or shoot) something nice and then I am off to contact printing :)

Receiving one of these alone would make the whole project worthwhile for me.

I would have done the same if my darkroom has been setup in the new house :bang:

semordnilap
12-19-2011, 19:29
We should all report our printing methods, anyway, and everyone can compare the different processes. I really wish there was some kind of inkjet option for printing cards like the Ilford one Matus is using...

Overnight prints sounds like a decent option anyway...

rbiemer
12-23-2011, 00:19
As of now (Friday 23, December), we are at 35 people. And just 2 days to go.
I will collect addresses until Xmas eve. This is the last bump I will do for this.

Is every one OK with 35 postcards? Just so I don't have to split the address list.

My email:
Thanks!

krötenblender
12-23-2011, 00:29
Up to 50 is okay for me. I'm really looking forward to the postcards.

ricnak
12-23-2011, 00:30
Rob.

35 is good with me. I say ... the more the merrier.....

A big thankyou to you Rob, for organising the project.

Merry Christmas.

Helen

sojournerphoto
12-23-2011, 00:37
35 is fine. More if they want to take part too.

Mike

rover
12-23-2011, 01:38
The number is manageable for me too.

jan normandale
12-23-2011, 10:12
I'm still in at 35 cards.

semordnilap
12-23-2011, 10:15
I'm fine up to 50 as well!!!

randolph45
12-23-2011, 15:45
As of now (Friday 23, December), we are at 35 people. And just 2 days to go.
I will collect addresses until Xmas eve. This is the last bump I will do for this.

Is every one OK with 35 postcards? Just so I don't have to split the address list.

My email:
Thanks! Yes yes,yes:)

jcrutcher
12-23-2011, 16:57
I'm good up to 50

seakayaker1
12-23-2011, 17:07
. . . . . good to go with 35 or 50!

Thanks for collecting the list and willing to publish!

Looking forward to the mailing.

ilia
12-23-2011, 18:12
I'm OK with 35, will go up to 50

jesse1dog
12-24-2011, 03:31
I've looked into several 'self adhesive make your own postcard' packs, got several samples and didn't like any of them. The material provided turned out to be too thin and not heavy enough to strengthen the photos I have. So I guess it's back to the envelope solution, with a postcard print inside. Financially this makes it very manageable for me and I am quite happy to go above the 40 mark - the first 40 will get the same photo, the next few might or might not.

Looking forward to all this and I'm investigating producing a special RFF envelope with my new printer that I'm still trying to get to grips with.

jesse

nighstar
12-24-2011, 04:16
35 is fine with me. now if only i could find/take a postcard-worthy photo..........

randolph45
12-24-2011, 14:52
35 is fine with me. now if only i could find/take a postcard-worthy photo.......... You and me both:bang:

rbiemer
12-25-2011, 00:31
OK. I have 35 addresses and I will be sending out the list on 1 January.

Thank you all very much for joining in!

Warm regards to all,
Rob

dct
12-25-2011, 02:09
Thank you for the whole organization, Rob. Merry Xmas and a photogenic New Year ;)

rover
12-25-2011, 02:23
This is gonna be cool.

russelljtdyer
12-25-2011, 02:32
Oh, I love sending and receiving postcards. I wish more people did. I like the personal touch of getting postcards from people around the world. I'll send you, Rob a private message with my address. Thanks for organizing this.

-Russell

seakayaker1
12-25-2011, 15:12
Ordered 40 postcards from moo.com with the estimated delivery date of January 6th.

Hope to have them in the mail on the 7th!

Once again, thanks Rob for the organization effort.

Look forward to receiving the mailing list on the first to be able to purchase the postage. It appears the cost of the postage for a 6" x 4.25" postcard will be 29 cents for domestic and 98 cents for international when mailing from the US.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

zauhar
12-25-2011, 15:15
I'll do 35.

This will be a LOT of darkroom practice for me! (I just received the Ilford postcards.)

Randy

pggunn
12-25-2011, 18:03
I'm still in at 35 or 50. Looking forward to it!

jesse1dog
12-26-2011, 02:43
Hi Rob

Glad you are sending out the addresses on Jan 1.
Just wonder if you could add a note for contributors to check that they submitted the right info and that their address is complete. If it isn't then they can contact you with any changes so that a final list can be produced.
Best seasonal wishes to all reading this!
jesse

Matus
12-26-2011, 03:49
50 is fine (do not tell my wife :) )

robert blu
12-26-2011, 07:49
I'll have 40 postcard printed, so 35 is ok for me.
robert

nighstar
12-26-2011, 16:19
ok, so the list goes out on the 1st but postcards can be sent for a few weeks after that....? until mid-Jan, if i remember correctly?

i just found out that i will be moving out into a new place around then..... i guess i will have to update my address to the new address before the 1st, but at the moment i'm unsure of the new address. i'll email it once i know it.

rbiemer
12-26-2011, 19:28
ok, so the list goes out on the 1st but postcards can be sent for a few weeks after that....? until mid-Jan, if i remember correctly?

i just found out that i will be moving out into a new place around then..... i guess i will have to update my address to the new address before the 1st, but at the moment i'm unsure of the new address. i'll email it once i know it.
Yes, the plan is for us to mail out our cards in the middle of January. I will be emailing the addresses out on the 1st but will send out your correct address before the 15th.
Just as soon as you know your new address, send it to me and I will pass it along to everyone. Sooner is better.

Regards,
Rob

pggunn
12-26-2011, 19:47
I just placed an order for 100 4x6 cards with a glossy UV coating on the photo side for $41.70, which includes shipping. One hundred is the minimum order for the premium quality at Overnight Prints and having seen how good that is, I didn't want to compromise on the quality. Whether my work is worthy of printing at that quality remains to be seen! At any rate, I'll be ready, worthy or not.

My biggest problem was choosing one single image for the project. I'm used to shooting a series - I do mostly event photography, using a dozen or more images to tell the story or explore a theme.

Though I usually shoot black & white, I chose a color image for this one, and only committed to it so I wouldn't continue to agonize and miss the deadline. Maybe what I've read is true - most photographers are not the best editors of their own work.

Already this project has given me much to think about, and that's before receiving any cards from the rest of you! I'm very excited about seeing your work and hearing about your processes and thoughts.

tomtofa
12-26-2011, 22:44
Just ordered 40 cards - very hard to choose just one image...

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Tom

ricnak
12-26-2011, 23:08
I agree. It is painfully hard to choose one image. I ended up going for something cliche Australian but not a kangaroo.

krötenblender
12-27-2011, 00:06
So, it's a wombat? ;-)

For me it's also hard to choose, but I gave already up to find an image, that everybody likes (because that would mean to find the lowest common denominator) and also to find one, that represents my area or country, because I don't have such an image.

Currently, I'm down to two or three candidates.

robert blu
12-27-2011, 02:48
I'm having three images printed in the total of 40 postcards. I'll choice in a random way the "which for which address". They are anyway not too different. I hope this is not against the rules, because it would be too late to have more printed in due time.
robert

rover
12-27-2011, 03:02
I'm having three images printed in the total of 40 postcards. I'll choice in a random way the "which for which address". They are anyway not too different. I hope this is not against the rules, because it would be too late to have more printed in due time.
robert

It is only against the rules if someone finds out. If you don't tell anyone I won't either.

pggunn
12-27-2011, 05:54
It is only against the rules if someone finds out. If you don't tell anyone I won't either.

Ha! I won't tell either, Robert.

I considered doing more than one image myself, then thought about a montage of several images on one card, but finally decided that wouldn't be a postcard; it would be a poster board!

At any rate, I don't think any one will mind if you mix it up a bit. In fact,, it's almost like having two more participants! :D

zauhar
12-27-2011, 06:27
Hey, I took a special photo just for this project. ;-)

It's a little tricky to print (meaning I'm not that good), I was futzing with it last night.

Looking forward to getting these printed and mailed out, and seeing what the rest of you came up with.

Randy

krötenblender
12-27-2011, 06:31
I thought, it was part of the challenge (and very challenging indeed) to select just one image.

Now I'm not getting all images, bummer...

dct
12-27-2011, 07:28
Well, if someone feels lucky to send two or three different images to every address: Why not? ;)
But yes, if they only should be mixed up to the total of participants... It would be a real pity.
There is no hurry for the moment, because we have to send the cards not before January 15th!

shadowfox
12-27-2011, 09:30
I don't really care if people send out 40 different photos (good luck with the effort, though :) )

The most important part is to get 40 different postcards from all over the world.

And getting those darkroom-produced postcards... wohooo!

As for picture selection, I'm torn between sending out a moody B&W or a real postcard-like color one :D :D

pggunn
12-27-2011, 15:22
As for picture selection, I'm torn between sending out a moody B&W or a real postcard-like color one :D :D

I had the same problem, and a few more besides. I ended up choosing a moody color postcard!

It will probably end up as a classic example of all the limitations of color, with absolutely no insight into why one might choose black & white instead, while simultaneously elucidating none of the qualities or advantages of either. :bang:

Even so, it's a good exercise - of futility, if nothing else! :D

D'oh!

rbiemer
01-01-2012, 12:05
OK!
I just emailed everyone in this project.
PLEASE check your addresses to be sure they are correct.
If they need to be corrected, email me and I will send out the corrected address.
ALSO, I'm fairly certain I didn't muss anyone who emailed me, but If you don't get the email I just sent out, please let me know!

HAPPY NEW YEAR"S!
Rob

pggunn
01-01-2012, 12:12
Thanks Rob! I just saved a copy. Thanks for organizing this. It's a great idea.

and Happy New Year!

krötenblender
01-01-2012, 12:55
Did you notice? Everyone has 36 cards to send, exactly one film... ;-)

Thanks Rob for the work!

shadowfox
01-01-2012, 13:10
Sweet!!!

I am delighted to see the list of addresses, lots of international postcards. :D

One question, maybe a dumb one:

If I buy a 4x6 (inches) inkjet paper and print the photo on one side,
can I get by leaving the other side blank and just write (or put a sticker) the address without having to print the lines that you usually see on a real postcard?

Or do I need to also come up with an image that has those postcard lines and print it?

nighstar
01-01-2012, 13:12
got the list, thanks. :)

i hope no postcards arrive at my new address before i'm living there (Jan. 16th~)...

dct
01-01-2012, 13:25
@shadowfox: I did check the same at our post office. The lines are not the problem, you may draw helper lines with a pencil or stick a postcard back of the image. The problem is more the paper weight. Here in Switzerland it has to be at least 100 g/m2 but if you want a rigid card without damage during its international travel, you should go for a 200 g/m2 quality card. Or more.

jcrutcher
01-01-2012, 13:35
@shadowfox: I did check the same at our post office. The lines are not the problem, you may draw helper lines with a pencil or stick a postcard back of the image. The problem is more the paper weight. Here in Switzerland it has to be at least 100 g/m2 but if you want a rigid card without damage during its international travel, you should go for a 200 g/m2 quality card. Or more.

How does that compute to 16pt paper stock? It may be a US term.

Thanks, I've just ordered mine from MOO.

JIm

Matus
01-01-2012, 13:39
As soon as my ilford postcards will find their way to me I will start printing (the company delivered it to wrong address first :rolleyes:)

36 properly done contact prints - this is going to be fun ... hopefully :p

kxl
01-01-2012, 13:56
- Got the list - my address is good.

- Printing the post cards tonight and labels tomorrow.

- Mailing them later this week.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's postcards

Rob - thanks for pulling this together.

-Keith

zauhar
01-01-2012, 14:25
Got my ilford postcards , was f--- ing with the exposure and filter last week, now need to settle down and print - for better or worse !

This is a great project. ;-)

Randy

shadowfox
01-01-2012, 15:34
Way to go Randy and Matus.
I envy you guys, like I said, I would have done that were my darkroom has been setup in the new house.

But to make lemonade out of lemons, I was able to get a Canon Pixma 9500 MkII very cheaply from a local guy who bought it just to take advantage of rebate deals. Brand new, still in the box.

This printer will be able to handle heavier stock up to ~300 gsm. So a 240 gsm postcard shouldn't be a problem.

I may get the Innova FibaPrint 4x6 100 pack which cost about $25.

seakayaker1
01-01-2012, 21:05
Rob, thanks for the address listing.

My count is 38 people total.

02 - Australia
01 - Canada
03 - Germany
02 - Italy
01 - Malaysia
01 - Poland
01 - Switzerland
05 - United Kindom
22 - USA

Should be able to get them out in the mail next weekend unless you think address corrections may still be coming in after that time.

Dan

jesse1dog
01-02-2012, 02:59
Been experimenting but still intend to put my 'postcard' print into an envelope - the postal cost works out the same and the print should be in good condition inside the envelope.
Thanks for the list, and I'll wait a few days before posting just in case there are some changes. Looking forward to have a stack of postcard prints.
Just hope you guys like what I send you!

jesse

dct
01-02-2012, 03:47
Will post my 40x postcard order these days. Should be ready to send around the 10th of January. As I'm always very critical about my images, it was a hard work choosing one. I hope you will enjoy my card anyhow.

zauhar
01-02-2012, 05:18
Way to go Randy and Matus.
I envy you guys, like I said, I would have done that were my darkroom has been setup in the new house.

But to make lemonade out of lemons, I was able to get a Canon Pixma 9500 MkII very cheaply from a local guy who bought it just to take advantage of rebate deals. Brand new, still in the box.

This printer will be able to handle heavier stock up to ~300 gsm. So a 240 gsm postcard shouldn't be a problem.

I may get the Innova FibaPrint 4x6 100 pack which cost about $25.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have to say that while this project has served me back to printing, it is a little daunting. I will need to figure out a "rhythm" to get these out in decent time.

By the way, best of luck with your approach to printing.

Randy

pevelg
01-03-2012, 12:25
I decided to just get mine from MOO. Postcards should arrive on the 17th and I will try shipping the day after.

seakayaker1
01-03-2012, 17:42
Received the order of 40 postcards from MOO today. I am happy with the quality of the cards and look forward to see how they compare with what the other 37 members have done.

I will begin placing addresses on them once Rob gives the nod that the address list is all correct and good to go.

tomtofa
01-03-2012, 21:14
Got mine from Moo today also, and like seakayaker1 am pleased with the results. Haven't seen any address corrections yet - I'll wait a couple of days for anybody to make changes, then get them out.

Once they are out it might be interesting if each of us posts a bit about how we made our choice, what the pic means to us (if anything in particular), what we used, etc.

Tom

dct
01-03-2012, 22:22
...snip...

Once they are out it might be interesting if each of us posts a bit about how we made our choice, what the pic means to us (if anything in particular), what we used, etc.

Tom

I support this idea and would like to have an official RFF 2011 Postcard (or is it 2012?) gallery, where we all will post our sent images during February.

Is it feasable making a new public gallery? Maybe here-in?
Contest and Projects (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=5922)

ricnak
01-03-2012, 22:37
I got my order today. Quality was good, the size was not. I would have thought a postcard would be a standard shape. Not here in Australia! I am going for attempt #2 with a different company.

I like the idea of including info about the postcards.

If we are going to make a thread/gallery, can we delay it until we have actually received the postcards. Postal times vary widely to destinations in Australia from overseas.

nighstar
01-04-2012, 04:33
just curious..... not that i want to spoil the surprise or anything, but are you (as in all of you) using a photo that represents where you're from or just a favorite photo for the postcards....?

.....i still haven't even decided on/taken my photo yet, geez... :(

russelljtdyer
01-04-2012, 04:55
In the spirit of postcards, I'm using a photo that's in a classic style for a postcard from where I live, from Milan. I took the shot of the Duomo, the cathedral and center of Milan.

zauhar
01-04-2012, 04:57
Now I did it - I developed a roll that contains a shot of the same image , but with a different lens, and the negative looks much better. After getting > 15 cards printed, and not very satisfied, I am going to print the alternate image.

I may need more postcards! ;-(

Randy

zauhar
01-04-2012, 05:01
BTW, I know that one or more of you got the ilford postcards as well - do yours have an address imprimature that is so faint as to be almost invisible?

I can't properly orient the cards (image "right side up") because I can 't make out the address box under the safelight.

Randy

jesse1dog
01-04-2012, 05:48
In reply to nighstar, my 'postcard' is of a shot I like and representative of the sort of photos I take - it isn't a traditional landscape or whatever!

jesse

zauhar
01-04-2012, 06:18
just curious..... not that i want to spoil the surprise or anything, but are you (as in all of you) using a photo that represents where you're from or just a favorite photo for the postcards....?

In may case the image is a philly scene that I took specially for this project, but I don't think most people are doing that.

Randy

dct
01-04-2012, 07:30

:D Finally I had three images and still I couldn't find the one and only. Then I asked the familiy and a few friends (non photographers) and so I got the final choice.

No, it is not a "postcard from Switzerland" as you might know already (mountains, cows, chocolate and banks). It is a typical shot I like to take in urban space. You all will see :)

Jamie Pillers
01-04-2012, 07:52

I picked an image that's not typically seen on a postcard. :rolleyes: Its... well... plant-like. ;)

tomtofa
01-04-2012, 07:57
Not really a typical postcard image, but, yes, something from where I live -

(

nighstar
01-04-2012, 11:57
thanks everyone. :) i was thinking that i should go out and try to get a shot specific to Brisbane, but now i feel better about just wading through the photos i've already taken. too bad none of them are especially postcard worthy, though. :rolleyes:

shadowfox
01-04-2012, 13:55
BTW, I know that one or more of you got the ilford postcards as well - do yours have an address imprimature that is so faint as to be almost invisible?

I can't properly orient the cards (image "right side up") because I can 't make out the address box under the safelight.

Randy

Randy, a typical Ilford paper has that "sheen" if you look at it under safelight.
The backing, I assume it's one sided, will be dull just like a white cardboard would look.

ricnak
01-04-2012, 14:31

I went for something typical for Australia. Took the shot just before Xmas with the postcard project in mind. It is not a favourite.

zauhar
01-04-2012, 14:41
Randy, a typical Ilford paper has that "sheen" if you look at it under safelight.
The backing, I assume it's one sided, will be dull just like a white cardboard would look.

Yes, I can see the shiny side, I meant orienting the picture with respect to the address - normally the address and the picture on the other side are oriented the same way. ;-)

Randy

pevelg
01-04-2012, 14:55
The only photos I have from my area where done in MF on B&W film and I never had the chance to digitalize them (I don't have the time to make darkroom prints, unfortunately). I actually really regretted that they weren't digitalized as a few of the photos where very well done in my opinion, some of my best. I decided to us on from one of my trips in the US.

On my postcard I posted the details of location, camera, and film.

sojournerphoto
01-04-2012, 15:49
Rob

Thanks for organising this project.

I'm hoping to print and post my cards over the next few days. After thinking about it, the current plan is to print a fw of several different pictures and send them at random. I've not shot much lately, but the ones I choose will refelct some long term ideas and my current ongoing interest in vernacular photography.

Mike

Damaso
01-05-2012, 05:27
http://damaso.com/blog/2012/01/05/two-new-postcards-2/
http://damaso.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/BCN-Oldsters.jpg

ilia
01-05-2012, 05:41
Hi everybody,

Rob, thanks a lot for great idea and implementation
my cards mill be out of print Jan 13, will mail them next day

crawdiddy
01-05-2012, 05:58
http://damaso.com/blog/2012/01/05/two-new-postcards-2/
http://damaso.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/BCN-Oldsters.jpg

I love this postcard! Very arty. I didn't sign up for this project, but I would like to see people's postcards in this thread, as Damaso has done. Please keep 'em coming.

rbiemer
01-05-2012, 05:59
I don't think that the address list I sent y'all will be changing.

I am expecting the paper I will be using--the Red River paper I linked to up thread--to be delivered early next week, I have plenty of ink for my printer and will decide on the photo over this weekend.

So, I guess, mail when ready, folks!

A gallery for this is a good idea, I think, but I'd rather wait a while until we all have our postcards in hand. In other words, after we have the real thing then we can share the analogues.
Rob

zauhar
01-05-2012, 06:04
Got a good work flow in my darkroom (aka basement laundry room) now, printed > 20 last night!

Randy

Damaso
01-05-2012, 06:11
From a show last year
http://damaso.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/webster1.jpg

http://damaso.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/webster2.jpg

Damaso
01-05-2012, 06:12
And a trip to Senegal in 2010

http://damaso.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Goree-postcard.jpg

dct
01-05-2012, 14:02
As I have no darkroom I had to order my postcards. Got it know: exciting! It is my 1st postcard print I made. My criticism around my picture on screen wasn't worth nothing: It looks very good! Thanks to Rob for kicking me doing that with this project.
Now I wait for the 15th if there will be any address changes and then: Write-write-write until I drop :)

ampguy
01-05-2012, 14:59
I'll be staging mine by continent. This week, US and Canada should go out:

Just fyi - USPS postcard prices for US to US are $0.29, and US to Canada are $0.80.

I'm not sure if there are Philatecs out there, but I think it's nice to put real stamps on postcards rather than just a mark from the post office.

krötenblender
01-06-2012, 00:48
Since Rob thinks, the addresses are stable, I'm done. Just coming back from the post office. All cards are on their way to you.

Writing all the addresses this morning made me feel, like my hand falls off. I say, I prefer the simplicity of email addresses... ;)

I hope, they are getting to you all without problems and you like the picture. I don't show it here, yet, but it was taken last late summer in my neighbourhood.

Matus
01-06-2012, 11:46
OK guys. Ilford postcard-paper and chemicals were delivered (I hope I have enough developer). I have just repaired my old Patterson contact printing frame and I have even did my own drying screen (!). I should start printing tomorrow.

I still have to turn our bathroom to darkroom (was not needed yet as I load the Jobo drums in a changing tent).

Now I need to select some interesting negative. I planned to make a special shot for this purpose, but did not manage in time.

P.S. Should everything go really well - I may even try selenium toning. I have never done that before, but just bought a kit from Moersch.

shadowfox
01-06-2012, 12:35
Well, what do you know.
Red River which is an up and coming paper manufacturer has an open warehouse in Dallas, not 20 mins. from where I work.

So I drove down there, got in through the only door of a huge industrial building, flip around their catalog, locate the paper and tell the lady behind the counter. While processing my payment, she paged the product over the intercom and within 3 minutes, a guy hiked up to the counter and handed me a pack their Ultra Satin Pro 4x6 (100 postcards). What can be simpler than that?

And I just thought about something cool that would save time about the other side of the postcard. :D

shadowfox
01-06-2012, 12:41
OK guys. Ilford postcard-paper and chemicals were delivered (I hope I have enough developer). I have just repaired my old Patterson contact printing frame and I have even did my own drying screen (!). I should start printing tomorrow.

I still have to turn our bathroom to darkroom (was not needed yet as I load the Jobo drums in a changing tent).

Now I need to select some interesting negative. I planned to make a special shot for this purpose, but did not manage in time.

P.S. Should everything go really well - I may even try selenium toning. I have never done that before, but just bought a kit from Moersch.

How exciting.
You still need a darkroom for contact printing, yes?
Regarding selenium toning, do it outside of the house, and use a big tray so you can tone several postcards at the same time. Once you decided how long, just use two timers and get into batch mode :)

seakayaker1
01-06-2012, 17:25
Picked up stamps on the way home from work. All the cards are addressed and stamped and will make a trip to the post office in the morning to get them on there way!

Look forward to receiving the collection and discussing them online in a few weeks!

tj01
01-06-2012, 19:51
what's the head bartender's address ?

drewbarb
01-06-2012, 20:31
I'm looking forward to seeing scans of the cards we receive, warts and all after their trips.

nighstar
01-07-2012, 02:38
i'm afraid my postcards will arrive late.... i've just ordered them and even with "express" shipping they won't arrive from Moo.com until the 19th. :( i will mail them out ASAP upon receiving them.

robert blu
01-07-2012, 03:02
i'm afraid my postcards will arrive late.... i've just ordered them and even with "express" shipping they won't arrive from Moo.com until the 19th. :( i will mail them out ASAP upon receiving them.

Same here, should arrive around january 15th...
robert

blw
01-07-2012, 17:31
Fear not nighstar and robert blu...I'd like to go the darkroom route, but I haven't yet ordered the paper, lined up the darkroom, or found the negative; so you're ahead of my curve at least.

I assure you all that I will get something out before the month of January is done though.

Oh...and about moving and address changes... my job is addresses and working with the US Postal Service. Obviously I can't speak for other countries, but I can't imagine they wouldn't handle mailing transitions similarly. The USPS forwards mail from the old address to the new address for up to a year and a half. Anyone changing addresses within the month would do well to file a "change of address" with their local PO as soon as possible. This form is what sets up automatic mail forwarding. After that, you shouldn't experience any lapse in mail service.

kxl
01-07-2012, 18:29
Got my postcards this afternoon and will send them out by Monday. Those of you in the US should get them by Wednesday or Thursday. Looking forward to everyone's postcard.

Matus
01-08-2012, 04:36
How exciting.
You still need a darkroom for contact printing, yes?
Regarding selenium toning, do it outside of the house, and use a big tray so you can tone several postcards at the same time. Once you decided how long, just use two timers and get into batch mode :)

OK guys, it took me nearly all night, but the prints are ready :) I really hope that I will manage to have some kind of stable darkroom in the future as it required a lot of patchwork to to turn our bathroom to darkroom (I will post a photo later).

I read a bit on the sulphur (sorry, not selenium, my bad) toning and as our bathroom can not be really properly vented I decided to leave it out for health concerns. Sorry for that.

But the good news is that I will send the postcards out tomorrow!

UPDATE: So - a bit aof documentation how it was done :)

Contact printing lamp with filter holder:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6659474791_4c252bcb88.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6659474791/in/photostream)

The darkroom:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6659473251_4072184745.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6659473251/in/photostream)

The DIY drying screen:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6659474279_1b0d0022c9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6659474279/in/photostream)

rover
01-08-2012, 06:43
DAMN!!!!

I just realized the Zip Code on my address is wrong!!!

I am glad I triple checked the list, but am angry I didn't see that before. It is my old zip code so I am sure I sent the wrong info to Rob and it is my fault.

Please use Zip Code 06040 for me, Ralph Meliso

I will email the correction to Rob.

rover
01-08-2012, 06:46
I replied to all so everyone should have an email. Sorry about that.

zauhar
01-08-2012, 06:54
Matus, that's incredible! Your temporary darkroom looks more appealing than my basement dungeon.

At least the dungeon is well-ventilatedm (i.e. drafty). ;-(

Look forward to seeing your postcard, I need to work on the rest of mine tonight.

Randy

rbiemer
01-08-2012, 08:54
Folks,
We have an address change, I emailed it to all of you, please make the necessary change.
Thanks!
Rob Biemer

krötenblender
01-08-2012, 11:39
Sorry, that's a problem, since I already sent my cards (see post #188).

Any chance, that the US-post is able to correct the address itself?

jesse1dog
01-09-2012, 02:51
Stephen - Krötenblender

Postcard arrived this morning - the first to come!
Very excited wife!
But - photo side quite damaged in the post - hope this is the only one to suffer this fate!
Love the photo - so very different from my offering.
Be interesting to hear of the condition of other cards.
Can we post notes on this so that we can find the best production methods for the future?

jesse

nighstar
01-09-2012, 03:13
Oh...and about moving and address changes... my job is addresses and working with the US Postal Service. Obviously I can't speak for other countries, but I can't imagine they wouldn't handle mailing transitions similarly. The USPS forwards mail from the old address to the new address for up to a year and a half. Anyone changing addresses within the month would do well to file a "change of address" with their local PO as soon as possible. This form is what sets up automatic mail forwarding. After that, you shouldn't experience any lapse in mail service.

thanks. :) yeah, i will have my mail redirected but here it's not a free service. :( either way, i went ahead and gave Rob my new address (i don't trust Australia Post), but now i'm worried that the postcards will arrive before i even arrive at the new address.... :bang:

dct
01-09-2012, 08:32
Just got my FIRST card (from "krötenblender"): That's an amazing project. I like it really :)

shadowfox
01-09-2012, 13:46
I read a bit on the sulphur (sorry, not selenium, my bad) toning and as our bathroom can not be really properly vented I decided to leave it out for health concerns. Sorry for that.

Hence my suggestion to do it outside :)

But the good news is that I will send the postcards out tomorrow!

UPDATE: So - a bit aof documentation how it was done :)

Contact printing lamp with filter holder:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6659474791_4c252bcb88.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6659474791/in/photostream)

The darkroom:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6659473251_4072184745.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6659473251/in/photostream)

The DIY drying screen:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6659474279_1b0d0022c9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6659474279/in/photostream)

Gorgeous.
Good job.
Goodness that's a beautiful sight!

ampguy
01-09-2012, 14:49
to post notes on condition. Perhaps certain print methods are better for postcard images. I had mine printed on matte because I thought it would be more durable than glossy.

I think some wear on the image is to be expected and makes the postcard more authentic as long as most of the image is there.

Got mine out today, and a 2nd one for Rover. For the US folks, virtually all are 0.98 cent stamps, Canada is 0.80, and of course within the US are 0.29.

Surprised that more folks from different countries didn't participate, only one to Asia. Also, surprisingly long addresses in the UK, the addresses sound like stories out of Harry Potter books ;)

Stephen - Krötenblender

Postcard arrived this morning - the first to come!
Very excited wife!
But - photo side quite damaged in the post - hope this is the only one to suffer this fate!
Love the photo - so very different from my offering.
Be interesting to hear of the condition of other cards.
Can we post notes on this so that we can find the best production methods for the future?

jesse

pevelg
01-09-2012, 15:38
Just received my order from MOO. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Hopefully they survive the post well. I'm going to have a lot of address writing to do come tomorrow. Should get them shipped by end of this week.

ricnak
01-09-2012, 16:02
Surprised that more folks from different countries didn't participate, only one to Asia. Also, surprisingly long addresses in the UK, the addresses sound like stories out of Harry Potter books ;)

Don't forget the Aussies.

russelljtdyer
01-09-2012, 16:09
This isn't about photography, but I thought I'd give y'all an insight into how everything in Italy is a freaken work-out by telling about my adventure in getting stamps for these postcards. I'll skip the effort of finding heavy enough stock photo paper to print the cards and all. By the way, I'm not complaining. I've come to accept that whatever I do here that I have not done many times before will be a struggle. It's a cultural, life learning curve.

I went Friday to the Italian post office near my home and discovered they were closed. But they always seem to be closed--or at least they often close for the day before I wake up and get out of the apartment. They're kind of a part-time location. So I took the bus to one further away that's larger and usually stays open late. Turns out it was a holiday Friday and they were all closed. Only an hour spent on that outing. I could have gone to a tobacco shop to buy stamps, but I wanted to get nice looking stamps, not those plain ones.

I got up early Saturday morning (i.e., at 11:00) and went right away to the post office by my house again. In that small and narrow post office (about 2 meters by 20 meters), there were at least one-hundred people in line, with the line wrapping around the room three times--it was too cold to wait outside. Luckily, there was one window designated for postal products only--the other windows were for banking and bill paying activities. The post office is not what it used to be; stamps and mail service is no longer their main business here. Anyway, I didn't have to wait long to be told that I could not buy stamps at the post office on Saturday. I'm not sure why--I hadn't had my coffee, so I was too tired to understand the explanation I was given in Italian. It might be a religious thing. They did tell me how much postage I needed for each country on the list in case I wanted to resort to the plain stamps at the tobacco shop.

This afternoon, Monday I went to the bigger post office to be safe. It was packed too. It seems that there are year-end bills that need to be paid, something to do with the national television stations. I ticket and joined the gaggle. I got ticket A269 and they were serving A195 when I entered, in addition to some other banking categories that has its own ticket numbering system mixed in. I stood next to an older woman who complained with me about the wait and other people present who seemed to be trying to avoid the numbering system. She was there to mail her daughter in Japan a birthday card. After a while, she suggested that I go to the counter with her and claim that we were together--which was so nice of her since she was holding ticket A245. So besides the forty minutes of travel time by bus, it only took a little over an hour to get the stamps, but after all of that they only had plain ones like they had at the tobacco shop.

I put the stamp on the postcards when I got home and mailed them in the box by my house tonight. It turns out that they miscounted and I didn't check well enough: they didn't sell me enough stamps. I need to go back for four more. This time I'll go to the tobacco shop next door to my apartment building and accept the plain ones as good enough. See: I've learned. I'm becoming Italian.

Update:
Just now, I went to the tobacco shop next door to my apartment building to get the last of the postage. I was the only customer at the time: so no waiting. They actually had decorative stamps. Just when I think I've figured out some minor aspect of Italy, I'm reminded that a foreign culture is never straightforward or predictable. Anyway, all of my postcards have been mailed. Oddly, I have a sense of accomplishment and relief in having completed this small project. Thanks to Rob again for organizing this project.

ampguy
01-09-2012, 17:03
The ironic thing about Italy from the other side, for those that have shipped back and forth from the US to there... is that the chances of receiving anything good is probably not too likely with regular mail.

As I put the stamps and addressed the postcards to Italy, I couldn't help but think that these nice photos I took are likely going to hang on the wall of some Italian mail person's place ;)

Did get a great card from seakayaker1 (Dan) today, and his thick glossy does work well, a rub mark, and maybe a 1/2" line/bend, but easily in say the RFF classifieds, it would easily classify as "minty" ...

russelljtdyer
01-09-2012, 17:13
In the six years that I've been here, I've only had one item that was mailed to me from the U.S. or elsewhere not make it to me. I suspect the person who mailed it to me put the wrong address on it and the person who received it here didn't return it to the letter carrier. The people at the post office and in other businesses are pretty honest here. It's just that they have a very different way about doing things: they're not on an American time schedule (which I miss from growing up in the U.S.); they're not too particular about things being exactly the way one might want (this frustrates me); and things aren't handled in ways that an American or a German or a Brit would consider obvious and logical. Instead, as long as something that is sort of like what you want gets there eventually by some method or other, "what is the problem?" So, don't worry about mailing things here. We'll get them eventually.

nighstar
01-09-2012, 17:30
This isn't about photography, but I thought I'd give y'all an insight into how everything in Italy is a freaken work-out by telling about my adventure in getting stamps for these postcards. I'll skip the effort of finding heavy enough stock photo paper to print the cards and all. By the way, I'm not complaining. I've come to accept that whatever I do here that I have not done many times before will be a struggle. It's a cultural, life learning curve.

I went Friday to the Italian post office near my home and discovered they were closed. But they always seem to be closed--or at least they often close for the day before I wake up and get out of the apartment. They're kind of a part-time location. So I took the bus to one further away that's larger and usually stays open late. Turns out it was a holiday Friday and they were all closed. Only an hour spent on that outing. I could have gone to a tobacco shop to buy stamps, but I wanted to get nice looking stamps, not those plain ones.

I got up early Saturday morning (i.e., at 11:00) and went right away to the post office by my house again. In that small and narrow post office (about 2 meters by 20 meters), there were at least one-hundred people in line, with the line wrapping around the room three times--it was too cold to wait outside. Luckily, there was one window designated for postal products only--the other windows were for banking and bill paying activities. The post office is not what it used to be; stamps and mail service is no longer their main business here. Anyway, I didn't have to wait long to be told that I could not buy stamps at the post office on Saturday. I'm not sure why--I hadn't had my coffee, so I was too tired to understand the explanation I was given in Italian. It might be a religious thing. They did tell me how much postage I needed for each country on the list in case I wanted to resort to the plain stamps at the tobacco shop.

This afternoon, Monday I went to the bigger post office to be safe. It was packed too. It seems that there are year-end bills that need to be paid, something to do with the national television stations. I ticket and joined the gaggle. I got ticket A269 and they were serving A195 when I entered, in addition to some other banking categories that has its own ticket numbering system mixed in. I stood next to an older woman who complained with me about the wait and other people present who seemed to be trying to avoid the numbering system. She was there to mail her daughter in Japan a birthday card. After a while, she suggested that I go to the counter with her and claim that we were together--which was so nice of her since she was holding ticket A245. So besides the forty minutes of travel time by bus, it only took a little over an hour to get the stamps, but after all of that they only had plain ones like they had at the tobacco shop.

I put the stamp on the postcards when I got home and mailed them in the box by my house tonight. It turns out that they miscounted and I didn't check well enough: they didn't sell me enough stamps. I need to go back for four more. This time I'll go to the tobacco shop next door to my apartment building and accept the plain ones as good enough. See: I've learned. I'm becoming Italian.

this reminds me very much of my experiences (and that of my friends) living in Japan. cultural learning curve indeed.... as they say in Japan, お疲れ様でした!thanks for your hard work. ;)

zauhar
01-09-2012, 18:32

Got mine addressed tonight, will mail out tomorrow.

I also love the English addresses! Feels like you're taking a tour as you write one.

Mine are glossy ilford cards. The stock is pretty heavy, hope they hold up in transit.

I made no attempt to send my "best" photo, I took a holiday image for the project. This was fun, and served the accessory purpose of improving my printing - thanks Rob!

Randy

seakayaker1
01-09-2012, 21:13
The ironic thing about Italy from the other side, for those that have shipped back and forth from the US to there... is that the chances of receiving anything good is probably not too likely with regular mail.

As I put the stamps and addressed the postcards to Italy, I couldn't help but think that these nice photos I took are likely going to hang on the wall of some Italian mail person's place ;)

Did get a great card from seakayaker1 (Dan) today, and his thick glossy does work well, a rub mark, and maybe a 1/2" line/bend, but easily in say the RFF classifieds, it would easily classify as "minty" ...

Great to hear that you received the card, and in 'minty' condition!

Mailed on Saturday and received on Monday, great service for the .29 cents postage. Hopefully the rub marks do not get bigger and the line/bends longer with additional miles and longer delivery times.

Fun project and look forward to receiving the postcards in the upcoming weeks!

brainwood
01-09-2012, 22:35
Posted all my cards on Saturday, Ralph I'll post another with the correct Zip code on it when I get a chance.

Chris

sojournerphoto
01-10-2012, 02:44
Received Chris (Brainwood) card yesterday. Great card and in great condition. Thanks.

I've printed mine and will start addressing tonight - I'll use envlelopes I think asd the paper is a bit thinner than I'd like.

I'm going to buy a little 6 by 4 album to keep them in as a memorial of the project.

Mike

jesse1dog
01-10-2012, 03:01
I used envelopes because of the thinness of materials 'designed' to convert prints to postcards. Also discovered that cards had to be a minimum of 14cm long, and my prints weren't.
Don't think you will miss the envelopes when they arrive - have a laugh, got the wrong date on some!
jesse

Matus
01-10-2012, 03:28
Russel, it seems you needed as much time to get your postcards posted as I needed to get mine printed :) Any way - we all appreciate your effort and look forward.

I wrote all of them yesterday and got the stamps (just around the corner, took less than 5 minutes, sorry :p) and will bring them to post office in a moment.

Just that you guys know - I have received 2 postcards up to now and looking forward to see the rest!

robert blu
01-10-2012, 09:41
I received my postcards from Moo today, good print quality. Now I have to put some music in background and start to write addresses...
robert

zauhar
01-10-2012, 10:04
Mailed mine out today, look forward to checking the mail in the days ahead.

Randy

randolph45
01-10-2012, 11:01
Just received three postcards today. Two from the west coast of USA(Ted and Dan )and one from the U.K.(Chris B) :)

My cards should come from the printer this week and be in the mail by next Monday or Tuesday

Had some fun with the stamp thing :rolleyes:

If possible there will be two stamps on the overseas cards or if not the card will be delivered in an envelope to avoid complications.

dct
01-10-2012, 12:11
I wrote addresses the whole evening, but I'm not through the list. Especially for the story telling ones in GB, I had to draw additional address lines: They are out of any standard postcard design :confused:

And it seems I'm no more used writing longer text with longhand. A time consuming work! :) But I like receiving every few days a new card!

randolph45
01-10-2012, 14:12
I wrote addresses the whole evening, but I'm not through the list. Especially for the story telling ones in GB, I had to draw additional address lines: They are out of any standard postcard design :confused:

And it seems I'm no more used writing longer text with longhand. A time consuming work! :) But I like receiving every few days a new card!

One of my cards came with the email list of addresses cutout and taped to the card.Simple and no mistakes.saves ur hand unless u think you need to write it out longhand:)

rover
01-10-2012, 14:16
I asked my co-worker how to make a mailing list and print labels and she volunteered to do it for me :D

hipsterdufus
01-10-2012, 15:29
Sorry guys; I'm a little late to the party. I just ordered my postcards from Mpix (true black & white silver prints) today. I promise I'll get them out ASAP. Just received two lovely postcards today from Ted and Dan.

rover
01-10-2012, 16:03
That is ok Eric, I am waiting for mine too.

sojournerphoto
01-10-2012, 17:11
Whew, I've just written and addressed all my cards.

I've finished up with 4 'core' cards with each person getting one of these at random and then added one extra card to the envelope each of which is a different picture selected in a fairly ad hoc manner from the last few months work. I hope everyone can glean something from this experiement!

Rob, thanks again for organising this and if anyone doesn't recevie a card in the next week or so (unless you live in a slow post from the UK destimation) please let me know and I'll try to print a new one.

I'm now looking forward to the variety I'm sure will arrive with the post in the next couple of weeks. Great stuff.

Mike.

blw
01-10-2012, 18:19
I have progress to report at least! The Ilford post card paper was ordered today and I hope it comes before the week is done. I've lined up a darkroom, I hope for next week. If that doesn't work out, I have two other darkroom options for a bailout[ and a third here at home if I absolutely have to.

So my goal is to get them all printed in one evening and addressed the next day. This hopefully works out to having mine in the mail by Friday the 20th, if not a day or so earlier.

Meanwhile, I still haven't seen a post card yet. Perhaps tomorrow will be the day?

pggunn
01-10-2012, 18:29
Just received my first card today, from Dan (seakayaker1)

Fantastic - not just a great photograph, but an excellent print too! Dan, you did a great job!

I have a new photo album for this project and look forward to receiving the others. Mine should be on the way soon - just got an update from my printer and they should be here tomorrow. I'll get them out ASAP.

gregor

Jamie Pillers
01-10-2012, 18:41
The first four postcards poured threw the mail slot today... wonderful stuff!

The four that came today were from Seakayer1 (Dan), krotenblender (Stephen) from Germany, Chris Brainwood in the UK, and a mystery card from an as-yet unnamed photographer (card is a really lovey image made on the Stanford campus). The images are all excellent, and of such differing subject matter. Fun! :) I like gregor's idea of making a small photo album for this project; and I sincerely hope this turns into at least an annual event.

I expect to receive my cards from the printer tomorrow, so should be able to start sending them out before the end of the week.

kxl
01-10-2012, 21:27
Got my first card today... from Stephen (Germany) -- nice photo!!!

I was also finally able to mail my postcards today.

shadowfox
01-11-2012, 09:04
Got one from Dan yesterday!
Fantastic, even some gear info :)

I don't trust my hand writing to not mess up those who read these addresses, so I'm using Avery labels to print stickies which will be on the postcard.

I haven't mailed mine yet, still waiting for a secret ingredient ;)

... but so far, got the photos printed (the Canon Pixma 9500 II rocks!)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7172/6679371447_292ebac262_z.jpg
* Sorry, cellphone photo before heading to work this morning.

rbiemer
01-11-2012, 09:19
I received two beautiful cards in today's mail.
And, somewhat ironically, the paper I'm going to be using is on the UPS truck for delivery today :D
So I will be printing tomorrow and hope to mail by Saturday.

Regards,
Rob

blw
01-11-2012, 10:06
My prediction was correct and I just came home for lunch to find two awesome photo cards on the dining room table (where the better half left them before leaving for her job). Thanks so much to Dan (seakyacker1) and Chris Brainwood for the lovely images!

My paper is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get to the darkroom I'm freeloading until next Wednesday night to print. That said, I'm at least on target.

krötenblender
01-11-2012, 10:56
I just sent out my card to the new participant. I have only one left (okay, two, but I want to keep one for the projects album), so I hope, there are not too many changes to come...

Instead, I already hope, that this was not a one-time-project. If there is a follow-up, I'm almost certainly in.

randolph45
01-11-2012, 11:16
Saw this today on postcards :eek:
http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/05/9977586-send-a-paper-postcard-from-your-smartphone

My printer confirms shipment today so Thursday or Friday arrival and possible mailing out Saturday:)

ampguy
01-11-2012, 12:18
Got my 2nd card today, from Germany! Excellent photo, and like the first, glossy on heavy stock, made it through the mail system in exc. condition, and super fast!!

hipsterdufus
01-11-2012, 15:32
Got Stephen's card today from Germany as well. Beautiful shot!

seakayaker1
01-11-2012, 16:35
DAMN!!!!

I just realized the Zip Code on my address is wrong!!!

I am glad I triple checked the list, but am angry I didn't see that before. It is my old zip code so I am sure I sent the wrong info to Rob and it is my fault.

Please use Zip Code 06040 for me, Ralph Meliso

I will email the correction to Rob.

Ralph, I am going to hold off a few days before sending out another card. Your address is the same on the card with just the zip code being different. I would like to see if the postal service makes the correction since the street, city and state is correct in the address. Could you leave a post if you receive any that the postal service corrected?

Thanks

seakayaker1
01-11-2012, 16:44
Received my first two cards today from Ted in Spokane and Stephan in Germany and both are wonderful. One from close by and another from far away!

As an FYI from Rob's email: I have sent Jan a card up in Canada and will drop one off in the mail for Jim in Australia.

Only printed 40 cards, 38 mailed, keeping one for a complete set of the project with one left to resend to Ralph if the postal service does not make an address correction for the incorrect zip code.

Looking forward to the next several weeks as the postcards continue to be delivered.

blw
01-11-2012, 16:45
Good point Dan...if the PO knows where you are receiving mail, they are more or less obligated to deliver to you no matter what is on the card or envelope. Of course it probably does have to make it to the right PO first. Is the ZIP a new one for your local PO, or did you move to another ZIP altogether. If it's just a new ZIP for an old PO, they'll probably get it to you anyway.

This is why I'm still a bit dumbfounded by nightstar saying mail forwarding is an extra pay service. Getting mail to the proper recipient is their primary function....mail forwarding seems like just a basic part of the service. But then again, I've never been to Oz.

ricnak
01-11-2012, 17:13
I just got my cards delivered. Somehow I have managed to get 200 of them! I made a mistake and uploaded the wrong pic, so then uploaded the correct one. I did not get the option to delete the first one but only paid for the 2nd one which they then doubled the quantity. Must have been on special.

So now I have to choose which pic to send. Another choice - grrr.

About aussie postal service - it has been many years since Post Offices did their own sorting in Australia cities. It is done in large centralized mail centres. There is no way they can know who has moved on unless a formal application is made. You pay for that service.

h.

dct
01-11-2012, 20:50
Yesterday, the 3rd card arrived and this early morning I managed sending all the 38 postcards (yes, also with Jim-the-late-one! ;) ). I feel and see the big difference between an industrial print (like mine) and a darkroom manufactured silver print card. Amazing difference in haptic!
Anyway, the different image ideas, b&w vs color, lighting etc... are a relevation for my own photographic skills.

dct
01-11-2012, 20:54
.../...
About aussie postal service - it has been many years since Post Offices did their own sorting in Australia cities. It is done in large centralized mail centres. There is no way they can know who has moved on unless a formal application is made. You pay for that service.
h.

Yes, it is. Even in our small country (Switzerland) nowadays you have these centralized mail centres and they don't work very well on exceptional address situations, without a formal order. Which you have to pay for, of course... :p

But, a few weeks ago I got a wrong addressed postcard from U.S. with a delay of 3 weeks. They still have a trouble shooting process, but it runs very slow.

nighstar
01-11-2012, 23:32
This is why I'm still a bit dumbfounded by nightstar saying mail forwarding is an extra pay service. Getting mail to the proper recipient is their primary function....mail forwarding seems like just a basic part of the service. But then again, I've never been to Oz.

as ricnak said, things work differently here.... another example of this is mail not being delivered on Saturdays! hmph. i miss America sometimes... for reasons beyond the postal system, of course. :p

robert blu
01-12-2012, 08:22
I already received 5 cards, beautiful! Mines have been posted this in the afternoon!

robert

isorgb
01-12-2012, 10:54
I got 4 cards and this is only start:
2 from Germany
1 from United Kingdom
1 from USA

All is really amazing and exciting. Beautiful collection. I really think that way about this project.

My wife said that this is the most wonderful INTERNET project which she see.
And I agree with her.