PDA

View Full Version : RFF Postcard Project, anyone?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

rover
01-12-2012, 11:54
Dan, I did get your card, and another, so at least the postal service is correcting my error, at least in these cases.

Received my first two cards today from Ted in Spokane and Stephan in Germany and both are wonderful. One from close by and another from far away!

As an FYI from Rob's email: I have sent Jan a card up in Canada and will drop one off in the mail for Jim in Australia.

Only printed 40 cards, 38 mailed, keeping one for a complete set of the project with one left to resend to Ralph if the postal service does not make an address correction for the incorrect zip code.

Looking forward to the next several weeks as the postcards continue to be delivered.

tomtofa
01-12-2012, 12:01
Got mine out, with (I hope) all the edits and additions correct.

As of yesterday had received 2 (Dan and Chris - thanks!); what a change to look forward to getting home and checking the mail ;-)

Matus
01-12-2012, 14:31
I am on 3 and counting :)

After a very nice PM exchange John encouraged me to share details on how I did the contact prints, so here is is:

I first taped gaffers tape on the glass around the negative leaving no space between the tape and the negative - to level the edges as more layers were to come. Than I taped the negative itself into the "window" to craete white borders on the final print. After that I made an exact 10x15 cm (size of ilford postcard paper) cutout from black cardboard (about the same thickness as the postcard) and taped it over the negative. It was then easy to place the paper nearly exactly in the darkness so I was able to get more-less even borders on the print.

I used 2 1/2 contrast-grade filter (did not experiment with others - it was getting late and I still had to make 40 prints). I was really surprized that with 25W bulb and only 1x1 cm "window" the printing time at lamp-to-print distance of 85 cm was only 13 seconds. I used some MACO fiber paper in the past and it was much slower.

I only made 1 print at the time (expose, develop/stop/fix, let to wash ... ) as I was not sure about developing more than 1 print at a time. The development was then standard - I used Ilford Multigrade developer and Ilfostop. But I used odor-less fixer from Adox what was a good idea (no active ventilation).

For first drying I just placed the prints on the tiles on the wall (they stick just fine as they were wet) and only placed then on drying screen when all were printed (6 hours later). The RC paper is really easy to dry.

I was really tired at the end, but it felt so good to see all those prints side by side (I have printed more on that night than everything together before :) )

I have to admit - I did consider using glossy fiber paper, but I would have to cut it to size from larger sheets, draw the postcard-lines by hand and find a reasonable way to dry them. I finally decided to leave that for next year ;) - But I will surely try that out. Of course - the very best would be platinum/palladium contact prints. That will come one day too ...

ricnak
01-12-2012, 15:03
I just got my first postcard from Dan.

Great shot and really nice card. The gloss is really nice. Good idea to have the info printed on the back too. The card travelled very well considering the distance. Only had slight softening at the corners.

This project makes going to letter box fun!

cosmonaut
01-12-2012, 15:26
I have got five so far. Mine are done and go out tomorrow. The ones I have received are beautiful. I am going to put them in some sort of album.

seakayaker1
01-12-2012, 15:43
Dan, I did get your card, and another, so at least the postal service is correcting my error, at least in these cases.

I just got my first postcard from Dan.

Great shot and really nice card. The gloss is really nice. Good idea to have the info printed on the back too. The card travelled very well considering the distance. Only had slight softening at the corners.

This project makes going to letter box fun!

Ralph, happy to hear that the post office took the effort to correct the incorrect zip code and made sure the post card was delivered to your address! Not bad service for 0.29 cents. ;)

. . . . . and for 0.98 cents a post card dropped off at the post office in Seattle after they closed last Friday evening and making it to Queensland Australia in 6 days! Fantastic service by the postal system in both countries!

Also received my 3rd postcard today from Chris in England!

Fantastic! :D

jcrutcher
01-12-2012, 17:37
I received 3 today all beautiful b&w's. Dan's fiddler, keith's smoker and Ted's hallway. Ted is that Stanford university?

All of mine are in the mail to all of you.

Cheers! Jim

ampguy
01-12-2012, 17:40
It's the engr. building across from the big bookstore. Taken with a Bessa R, Canon 28/2.8 LTM, and Portra 800.

Received a nice photo from Pennsylvania today!

I received 3 today all beautiful b&w's. Dane's fiddler, keith's smoker and Ted's hallway. Ted is that Stanford university?

All of mine are in the mail to all of you.

Cheers! Jim

dct
01-12-2012, 23:43
It's the engr. building across from the big bookstore. Taken with a Bessa R, Canon 28/2.8 LTM, and Portra 800.
Received a nice photo from Pennsylvania today!

Thanks for sharing, ampguy. This brings me to my wish, when all postcards are delivered. I would like to know image details similar to this here, mentioning lens, body, film type or digital ISO. Not mandatory further parameters like aperture, shutter, b&w development details...
And of course: Where and when was the photo taken.

Is there a consensus sharing this informations at the end of the project?

robert blu
01-13-2012, 01:28
Thanks Matus for explaining how you did it, I received yesterday and it is superb!
robert

jesse1dog
01-13-2012, 01:52
I think Matus' card is super too (got it yesterday) - and all his effort worthwhile. Thanks for the explanation of 'how it was done'
This is a great project and I think we are all learning a lot.
jesse

nighstar
01-13-2012, 02:03
Thanks for sharing, ampguy. This brings me to my wish, when all postcards are delivered. I would like to know image details similar to this here, mentioning lens, body, film type or digital ISO. Not mandatory further parameters like aperture, shutter, b&w development details...

that's fine by me. :)

and ugh, my postcards apparently made it to Australia from the UK today even though i was given an estimated delivery date of the 19th.... they went to my new address which i haven't moved to yet. :bang: am having them redelivered on Tuesday and will try to get them mailed soon after.

randolph45
01-13-2012, 11:00

Is there a consensus sharing this informations at the end of the project? I put that info on my card .
Cheers

Ps UPS confirms delivery of cards today,so mailing looks good for tomorrow:)

sojournerphoto
01-13-2012, 11:25
I've now recevied 6 cards:) and posted mine yesterday.

A great variety and nice pictures - each reflecting the person who took them. Matus' contact print makes a very good case for big film and a 25 watt bulb! Such a beautiful object with so little capital investment.

I think sharing info at the end of the project is a great idea and held off putting it all on the card as I thought people would like to look first. Also, a gallery for everyone's cards would be nice?

Mike

tomtofa
01-13-2012, 11:32
Is there a consensus sharing this informations at the end of the project?[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping for a thread where we can put up our images and some discussion about them.

sojournerphoto
01-13-2012, 11:39

I'm hoping for a thread where we can put up our images and some discussion about them.[/quote]

Yes, discussion would be really good.

kxl
01-13-2012, 11:58
I'm hoping for a thread where we can put up our images and some discussion about them.

Yes, discussion would be really good.[/quote]

+1

semordnilap
01-13-2012, 12:34
I have received six so far–all great and very interesting! I am afraid mine may be the last bunch around–I was laid low by a nasty cold for several days and only just got to order my cards, so they probably won't go out until the end of next week.

Anyway I'm happy to share information and have a discussion when all is said and done.

brainwood
01-13-2012, 12:36
A thread of the images is a great idea feedback and coments are always useful and I'm sure it would interest many who did not take part as well

jcrutcher
01-13-2012, 13:29
I have sent all of my postcards without the information that some of you have asked for. So if you don't mind here it is.

Shot in San Francisco California
November 2011
M9-P
50mm Summilux ASPH
F2.0 1/30
ISO 640
Hand held standing in the middle of the street
6:41 PM
Converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro 2
Cropped approximately to 80 % of original

Am I missing anything?

Cheers! Jim

jesse1dog
01-13-2012, 13:54
Think it would be useful if we did put all our postcard prints into a thread and add photo details to go along with them: only after we all have the cards. I would find it more useful to have both together, but then that's just me.

jesse

dct
01-13-2012, 14:00
Think it would be useful if we did put all our postcard prints into a thread and add photo details to go along with them: only after we all have the cards. I would find it more useful to have both together, but then that's just me.

jesse

Yes, I support this. My suggestion was something like that, after alle have the cards, to put the informations along the image in a separate thread.

rover
01-13-2012, 15:07
My cards are all addressed and ready for the post office.

Oh, and ... boxers.

seakayaker1
01-13-2012, 15:25
Three more arrived this afternoon bringing the total to six! Thank you Matus (Frankfurt), Randy (Philadephia), and Keith (Chino Hills). Beautiful photographs all!

It will be nice to join a thread in a few weeks once everyone has had a chance to mail and receive all the postcards and share the particulars about my choice and read about all the others. The discussion should be fun!

ampguy
01-13-2012, 15:33
Here on the eastern side of the state, am receiving about the same - 5 so far, yours, Randy Z, Stephan, Matus, and Keith L.'s.

If I had to guess about why the US can't build cars like say Germany, I'd have to say, first learn to print and mail a post card :D Seriously, I am floored by the speed at which the German's have gotten their postcards to the West Coast. Probably nothing ever faster, except for those U2s way back when ... ;) oh wait, that was the East coast, no?

Three more arrived this afternoon bringing the total to six! Thank you Matus (Frankfurt), Randy (Philadephia), and Keith (Chino Hills). Beautiful photographs all!

It will be nice to join a thread in a few weeks once everyone has had a chance to mail and receive all the postcards and share the particulars about my choice and read about all the others. The discussion should be fun!

seakayaker1
01-13-2012, 15:45
Yes, out of six received to date, two from Germany, one from England, then Philadelphia, Chino Hills, and Spokane.

. . . . . and I was also pleasantly surprised to hear one of my postcards reaching Australia so quickly! The postal services may be going broke around the world but they certain can still move the mail with excellent results!

Having the hard copy (postcard) is a nice personal touch, a connection instead of just the on-line view.

krötenblender
01-13-2012, 15:50
If I had to guess about why the US can't build cars like say Germany, I'd have to say, first learn to print and mail a post card :D Seriously, I am floored by the speed at which the German's have gotten their postcards to the West Coast. Probably nothing ever faster, except for those U2s way back when ... ;) oh wait, that was the East coast, no?

Funny thing: I work in the automobile industry currently... ;) But I do not drive a car (if a US-citizen is able to imagine that - most of my colleagues aren't).

I have six cards so far, so completely different to mine. I'm impressed and excited.

A thread with all pictures and info about them would be interesting. Also looking forward to that.

ampguy
01-13-2012, 16:02
Well if my day job was driving cars around the Nürburgring all day, I think I could live with public transportation to and from work ;)

Funny thing: I work in the automobile industry currently... ;) But I do not drive a car (if a US-citizen is able to imagine that - most of my colleagues aren't).

I have six cards so far, so completely different to mine. I'm impressed and excited.

A thread with all pictures and info about them would be interesting. Also looking forward to that.

ampguy
01-13-2012, 16:09
seems to be the last bastion of efficiency within the various postal services. I think I will only ship things from now on that I can glom on to a post card ;)

Yes, out of six received to date, two from Germany, one from England, then Philadelphia, Chino Hills, and Spokane.

. . . . . and I was also pleasantly surprised to hear one of my postcards reaching Australia so quickly! The postal services may be going broke around the world but they certain can still move the mail with excellent results!

Having the hard copy (postcard) is a nice personal touch, a connection instead of just the on-line view.

semordnilap
01-13-2012, 17:07
seems to be the last bastion of efficiency within the various postal services. I think I will only ship things from now on that I can glom on to a post card ;)

Imagines a lens taped to a postcard picturing a balloon, floating determinedly through post offices around the world...

randolph45
01-14-2012, 12:38
All my cards are in the mail today:)

I have a total of 9 received so far.

rover
01-14-2012, 13:10
I mailed mine today too. I think I have gotten 6 so far, all are excellent.

dct
01-14-2012, 13:49
.../...

I have a total of 9 received so far.

Me too. And 6:3 for bw:col. Every card another revelation!

jcrutcher
01-14-2012, 14:05
jesse1dog what is your name so I can mark you off. Loved the photo the train wheel!

Jim

pggunn
01-14-2012, 14:17

jesse

Jesse,

That's what I've been thinking too. I'm glad you suggested it.

I've received six cards so far and all of them have been very good.

Tomorrow I'll PM the five I haven't already, just to acknowledge receipt and to thank them. I've been out of commission for several days with a sore throat, cough and fever, but did manage to get all my cards posted on Thursday, January 12.

Someone in this thread mentioned that this project made it exciting to check the mailbox, and I have to agree. I told some of my friends at work about it and they were all interested. Even though they aren't particularly interested in photography - at least not like we are - they all thought it was a great idea and want to see all the cards.

I've thought about putting together a book of them and having it printed through Blurb or Kodak or one of the other online print services. Who knows what themes might emerge after all the cards are posted? How they all might be arranged?

I'm eager to see what arrives in the mail over the next several weeks.

zauhar
01-14-2012, 15:04
I have received ten cards so far, from

Greg Gunn (beautiful color parade shot from the RFF gallery)
Jim Crutcher (great night photo!)
Keith Leonin (superb portrait)
Matus Kalisky (excellent classic car capture)
our host Rob (wonderful scenic photo)
Stephan Kuhagen (great color still life)
Dan (seakayaker) (wonderful street portrait)
Chris Brainwood (eerie low-light shot!)
Ted (?) (very nice architectural shot)
"jesse1dog" (fascinating mechanical still life)

All arrived in good condition!

I thank all of you, and give extra props to those who took time to add a personal message - I really did not do that (unless "Happy New Year" counts!)

Randy

shadowfox
01-14-2012, 15:12
I have so far received 5, all B&W except for the one from Stephen.

Mine are delayed a bit, waiting for a rubber stamp (big one) and its ink.

But tonight my daughter and I will put the labels on.

ampguy
01-14-2012, 15:43
I enjoyed your card very much. Mine is the "hallway" shot ;) Recd. #6 from Greg in NC today, very nice use of color!

I have received ten cards so far, from

Greg Gunn (beautiful color parade shot from the RFF gallery)
Jim Crutcher (great night photo!)
Keith Leonin (superb portrait)
Matus Kalisky (excellent classic car capture)
our host Rob (wonderful scenic photo)
Stephan Kuhagen (great color still life)
Dan (seakayaker) (wonderful street portrait)
Chris Brainwood (eerie low-light shot!)
Ted (?) (very nice architectural shot)
"jesse1dog" (fascinating mechanical still life)

All arrived in good condition!

I thank all of you, and give extra props to those who took time to add a personal message - I really did not do that (unless "Happy New Year" counts!)

Randy

blw
01-14-2012, 17:12
I've received 7 at this point, picking up another 2 in today's mail. I've enjoyed all of them so far and look forward to the other 29 yet to come.

All that being said, I have to say Greg, yours is at least my wife's favorite of the lot so far.

As for mine, I have my paper and a darkroom lined up for next Thursday. Since it looks like I'll have most of the day, I intend to develop some film to see if there's something else to print besides what I've picked out right now. My plan is still to have them in the mail next Friday.

ricnak
01-15-2012, 13:54
I have just posted my cards and then checked the letter box to find a card from Stephan. It was in perfect condition and even included a personal message. Well done.

I apologize in advance - I was very economical with my words.

pggunn
01-15-2012, 14:40
I've received 7 at this point, picking up another 2 in today's mail. I've enjoyed all of them so far and look forward to the other 29 yet to come.

All that being said, I have to say Greg, yours is at least my wife's favorite of the lot so far.

Thank your wife for me. I'm glad she liked it. It wasn't my favorite of the series, though it definitely was one of my keepers. I chose it because it was one of those I haven't posted to the RFF gallery yet.

Unfortunately, I didn't prepare my file correctly so the image on the card was cropped about a quarter inch on each edge! :eek:

Oh well, next year I'll be more careful.

BTW, I haven't sent out PM's today to the last five from whom I've received cards as I intended, but will do so tomorrow. Today didn't go quite like I'd planned and I've still not quite recovered from a recent illness. I need to get back to bed.

nighstar
01-16-2012, 02:20
finally got to go to our new home today (omg exciting!!!) and there was a postcard from Stephan in Germany waiting for me! it's the first i've received (as far as i know *gulp*) and it's really nice. :) will be moving to the new place tomorrow & hopefully will get my postcards then. will try to have them mailed by Friday.

edit: just noticed that ricnak who's also in Brisbane has already received a card from Dan, meaning i've probably missed it... i wonder what the previous owners of the house did with it..... :(

krötenblender
01-16-2012, 08:19
edit: just noticed that ricnak who's also in Brisbane has already received a card from Dan, meaning i've probably missed it... i wonder what the previous owners of the house did with it..... :(

Did you check the basement and the dumpster, yet...? ;) - I hope you don't miss any. Those, which I received until now, would be a real loss.

ampguy
01-16-2012, 10:04
Dan's photo wasn't that bad :D

Seriously, it is an excellent photo, printed glossy on heavy postcard stock. If you missed his, you'll want to get that to complete your collection.

Did you check the basement and the dumpster, yet...? ;) ....

ricnak
01-16-2012, 13:58
Got 3 more this morning. Keith's smoker, Chris Brainwood's misty scene and Russell's "classic" Milano shot. All wonderful shots.

nighstar
01-16-2012, 23:17
got two more today from Chris and Helen. i really love them both! :) i'm afraid that Dan's (and hopefully no others, but cant be sure yet) was probably thrown away or taken by the previous owner of the house.... :/ and i remember Dan saying that he has limited cards left, so i may just be SOL.... :/ can't check the dumpsters even if i wanted to because they're communal so i'd never find it anyway. :(

on the other hand, i got my cards today and they turned out alright, although the colors are a bit different. i'll try to mail them by Friday.

rover
01-17-2012, 02:14
The US postal service will be open again today. I wonder what surprises will be waiting for me when I return home from work?

shadowfox
01-17-2012, 05:20
Yes, what a bummer.
I lost one day due to the closing yesterday.

No matter.
My wife is on a mission today to mail all of my postcards.
This has turned into a family project for us :)

randolph45
01-17-2012, 11:30
Got another 9 today 2 from Germany,1 swiss, 1 U.K. with 2 enclosed and 4 from USA:) All these cards are wonderfull! It makes mine look wimpy in comparison :bang:

seakayaker1
01-17-2012, 11:49
got two more today from Chris and Helen. i really love them both! :) i'm afraid that Dan's (and hopefully no others, but cant be sure yet) was probably thrown away or taken by the previous owner of the house.... :/ and i remember Dan saying that he has limited cards left, so i may just be SOL.... :/ can't check the dumpsters even if i wanted to because they're communal so i'd never find it anyway. :(

on the other hand, i got my cards today and they turned out alright, although the colors are a bit different. i'll try to mail them by Friday.

. . . . . I do have a extra card. I was planning to send a second card due to a wrong postal code but the Postal Service corrected it since the rest of the address was correct.

Please PM or email, [email protected], me with your current address and I will send it along if you have not received it yet.

Hopefully you are in your new residence and all is well.

semordnilap
01-17-2012, 12:36
I just got 8 cards today–great!!!

rover
01-17-2012, 13:28
I just got 8 cards today–great!!!

I beat you, I got 10. It is a great day indeed!!!

ricnak
01-17-2012, 13:58
I got a postcard from Switzerland today. A GREAT shot from Valentino.

jcrutcher
01-17-2012, 14:20
Man I can't wait to get home and check the mail!!!!!

sojournerphoto
01-17-2012, 14:46
I'm getting a couple every day - the post is interesting for once!

My wife has suggested that we put them in a frame as a collage and then hang on my 'gallery' staircase. That's a good sign that she has enjoyed the process too.

Mike

seakayaker1
01-17-2012, 16:09
Nice to come home today to the mail. No mail delivery yesterday with the Martin Luther King Holiday. So a nice surprise to see ten postcards in the mailbox!

In order ......
1. jesse1dog ~ Afon Fathew, Wales
2. Christian ~ Alemeda, California
3. Greg ~ Greensboro, North Carolina
4. Greg ~ Rome, Georgia
5. Russell ~ Milan, Italy
6. Randy ~ Sacramento, California
7. Valentino ~ Duernten, Switzerland
8. Tom ~ Fremont, California
9. Ralph ~ Manchester, Connecticut
10. Jim ~ Phoenix, Arizona

...... to go along with the previous six
1. Ted ~ Spokane, WA
2. Stephan ~ Bremen, Germany
3. Matus ~ Frankfurt, Germany
4. Randy ~ Philadephia, Pennsylvania
5. Keith ~ Keith, Chino Hills, California
6. Chris ~ Northchurch, UK

Not quite 50% of the total cards received at this point in time so some nice surprises await with the arrival home!

Thanks everyone for the beautiful postcards!

ampguy
01-17-2012, 17:27
Wow, another 8 today! All beautiful, most color, a couple I think are toned. One from Switzerland! and another from the Island of Sodor! Very clever of Randy to use his own photo for the stamp. I didn't think of that!!

pggunn
01-17-2012, 18:39
I got ten today. I'm going to try to PM everyone when I can, but am a little overwhelmed right now and have to get back to the family in a few minutes.

So, a brief acknowledgement and thanks to those I haven't contacted yet:

Ted M. from Sokane, WA - a very good black & white architectural shot. It looks like a college campus - a large stone building with covered portico and arches. Great perspective, drawing the eye to an illuminated arch in the distance.

Stephen K. from Germany - wonderful color, a bicycle with ballons tied to the handle bars, leaning against a powder blue wall with gray-green pavement. Good eye.

Mike S. from North Yorkshire, UK - two cards! In color, a Wishing Tree (I'm not familiar with the concept and would like to know more) with brightly colored ribbons; and a black & white architectural shot. Very nice. Looking forward to a discussion.

Russell J. T. D. from Milano, Italia -A beautiful color shot of a crowd in a plaza. beautiful architecture. I feel like I should know that building, but it escapes me now.

Valentino D. from Switzerland - a brilliant color mural, graffiti, on the side of a building. Beautiful.

Christian F. from Alameda, CA - pre-dawn shot, black & white, of some rustic benches in a wooded park or a clearing in the woods. Very nice, and a bit mysterious.

Jim C. from Phoenix, AZ - a black & white cityscape of San Francisco at night with the Transamerica Pyramid. Nice composition and the exposure is perfect.

Greg M. from Rome, GA - black & white, a bridge in rural Georgia that makes me want to walk into the picture and across that bridge.

Ralph M. from Manchester, CT - beautiful color shot looking through a glass window into a cafe or restaurant. Beautiful light. I want to go there.

Tom F. from Fremont, CA - toned black & white, botanical/landscape, environmental landscape might be a better term. Towers of jewels. I like it very, very much.

Randy T. from Sacramento, CA - color, a store front sign on a Disney gift shop in Anaheim. The sign is very appropriate for this project. Well chosen and a humorous touch. Nicely done.

Thank you all.

Greg Gunn

nighstar
01-18-2012, 02:48
wow, you all are getting so many. i only got one amazing card in the mail today from Valentino. :) my grand total is now 4 awesome cards that make me rethink my own.

shadowfox
01-18-2012, 06:36
I got a total of 17 postcards.
My wife commented cheerily that these cards (hence people) has the same "photography style" as I do.

To that I replied: "That's why we hang out in the same forum!" :)

All my cards are flying to your homes yesterday.

Brad Bireley
01-18-2012, 06:49
Finally got my cards from Vistaprint. Will get them out asap! ALL of the cards I have received are wonderful! Thanks everyone.

rbiemer
01-18-2012, 11:05
I received a few more in yesterday's mail; don't think I'll be getting to town today but I will be mailing out another 10 tomorrow--I'm still waiting on the derned ink for my printer to get here. The tracking foe the package is thoroughly useless, the place I bought from is now using some ******* mix of UPS and USPS so I'll be choosing another company to buy ink from in future.
What I've got from all of you is really excellent!
Thanks y'all for taking up this project!
Rob

kxl
01-18-2012, 12:53
I have received a total of 18 as of last night, and what has come as a big surprise to me is that counting my own, only 4 out of 19 feature people as subjects. I realize my total is barely 50% of the total postcards, but I truly expected more people-featured postcards.

That's not meant to be negative, since I really enjoy all of the postcards, but it was just a little unexpected. No complaints, though... keep them coming!!!

zauhar
01-18-2012, 13:12
Got a few more yesterday -

Christian Fritze - nice twilight shot of benches

Floyd Summerhayes - Bucolic country church, lovely

Randy Tolley - colorful Disney store shot!

Valentino - cool shot of street art

Russell - beautiful shot from Milan (and I heard Milan had no nice cityscapes!)

Ralph Meliso - nice store front with myriad reflections!

AND, who generously sent two? Nice B&W of a school event (everyone has a phone camera!) and great color shot of street art - may be commented on above, but I can't find it immediately.

Thanks to all of you! Again, this has been great!

Randy

ricnak
01-18-2012, 14:26
I just got yours Randy. Another winner!

I like your postcards with the lines printed on the back. They look very "pro". Mine had no lines.

dct
01-19-2012, 02:57
Yesterday 4, today 2. Count is 18!
Will give personal comments to these 6 users later on.

@zauhar, nighstar, pggunn, seakayaker1, ricnak: Thank you for mentioning!

dct
01-19-2012, 03:03
.../... but I truly expected more people-featured postcards.

Don't be suprised.
I really hope all people sent a typical personal style image. A photograph which represents (one of) their personal photographing styles.
Most of the images I got are a little (or very) different image style then my photos are. And I like it: Because it forces me to see the photographic object with other's mindset. Far better learning effect then online galleries (don't know why). It is like a walk through a postal exposition :D

sojournerphoto
01-19-2012, 03:52
Don't be suprised.
I really hope all people sent a typical personal style image. A photograph which represents (one of) their personal photographing styles.
Most of the images I got are a little (or very) different image style then my photos are. And I like it: Because it forces me to see the photographic object with other's mindset. Far better learning effect then online galleries (don't know why). It is like a walk through a postal exposition :D

I agree. I think you learn much more, and enjoy much more, holding a physical object rather than staring at the screen. Even for my own pictures, it's better to make selections from a set of prints than from screen views.

I also am enjoying making smaller prints and one of my ongoing projects is a box of 6 by 4 prints of stuff I take from day to day. Not all good or anything, but a nice box to flick through. A lot of the thrust of recent years' internet chatter has been towards bigger and brighter prints, but thses are usually firmly ensconced in the 'bigger bolder lifestyle decorative art' mould, where the size/cost demonstrates your success and importance. I increasingly find that my preference is for human scale photos that I can hold and share around a room. I am also not talking aobut the, much vaunted,jewel like objects, lovely as they are.

The argumebnt that painters took every oportunity to paint big is weak as painting is both different from photography as an art and similar in terms of economic pressure.

Mike

Edited to add - the postcards fit this agenda of mine really well. Thank you to all.

shadowfox
01-19-2012, 06:49
I agree. I think you learn much more, and enjoy much more, holding a physical object rather than staring at the screen. Even for my own pictures, it's better to make selections from a set of prints than from screen views.

I also am enjoying making smaller prints and one of my ongoing projects is a box of 6 by 4 prints of stuff I take from day to day. Not all good or anything, but a nice box to flick through. A lot of the thrust of recent years' internet chatter has been towards bigger and brighter prints, but thses are usually firmly ensconced in the 'bigger bolder lifestyle decorative art' mould, where the size/cost demonstrates your success and importance. I increasingly find that my preference is for human scale photos that I can hold and share around a room. I am also not talking aobut the, much vaunted,jewel like objects, lovely as they are.

The argumebnt that painters took every oportunity to paint big is weak as painting is both different from photography as an art and similar in terms of economic pressure.

Mike

Edited to add - the postcards fit this agenda of mine really well. Thank you to all.

Agree.
This project made me realize how interesting it is to make 4x6 prints.
And it could become one of the ways to show one's portfolio.

shadowfox
01-19-2012, 06:51
Don't be suprised.

Well, I'm one of the people who ended up picking four different photographs for this project. Only one of them has people as the subject. :)

shadowfox
01-19-2012, 06:56
I just got yours Randy. Another winner!

I like your postcards with the lines printed on the back. They look very "pro". Mine had no lines.

That is my "secret-sauce" :)
To put the lines on my postcards, I use this:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/postcard-rubber-stamp-118224/

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/assets/item/zoom/118224.jpg

In the USA, if you have a Hobby Lobby store, you can get one (don't forget the ink).
The nice thing that I like is the imperfection that is typical of rubber-stamping, it gave the postcard that worn/well-traveled look.

semordnilap
01-19-2012, 07:00
Looks nice... I can't wait to get it!

hipsterdufus
01-19-2012, 09:00
I finally got mine out today. Sorry for the delay. I've loved the cards I've been getting.

randolph45
01-19-2012, 10:38
I'm beginning to shake.No cards in 2 days.Withdrawal is terrible:confused:AAAHHHH!

rbiemer
01-19-2012, 13:53
All of mine are in the mail as of today!
And I got three more when I dropped off my pile of cards.

So, now I can relax a bit and let the post office do its job.

Thank you all again for taking this idea of mine to heart and making this project work!

Very warm regards to all,
Rob

ampguy
01-19-2012, 16:12
Next time I will get one of these stamps instead of hand drawing all the lines myself. Got a couple more today, very nice ones, and a couple in an envelope from the UK!

That is my "secret-sauce" :)
To put the lines on my postcards, I use this:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/postcard-rubber-stamp-118224/

In the USA, if you have a Hobby Lobby store, you can get one (don't forget the ink).
The nice thing that I like is the imperfection that is typical of rubber-stamping, it gave the postcard that worn/well-traveled look.

nighstar
01-20-2012, 03:31
it was really exciting to open my mailbox and find four more postcards yesterday. today i got two more. :D now i have a total of 10 from:

1. Stephan
2. Chris
3. Helen
4. Valentino
5. Greg G.
6. Ted
7. Randy Z.
8. Russell
9. Robert
10. Keith

all of the cards are lovely and there is a lot to be said about each one of them, but i'll have to save that for when i have a proper internet connection. after reading the nice messages that many have included on the back of their postcards i wish i had put a more personal one on mine.

all of my postcards are in the mail as of today, including one to myself because i had extra domestic stamps and thought that my collection would be more complete if mine made it through its rounds in the postal system too. :)

randolph45
01-20-2012, 12:34
it was really exciting to open my mailbox and find four more postcards yesterday. today i got two more. :D now i have a total of 10 from:

1. Stephan
2. Chris
3. Helen
4. Valentino
5. Greg G.
6. Ted
7. Randy Z.
8. Russell
9. Robert
10. Keith

all of the cards are lovely and there is a lot to be said about each one of them, but i'll have to save that for when i have a proper internet connection. after reading the nice messages that many have included on the back of their postcards i wish i had put a more personal one on mine.

all of my postcards are in the mail as of today, including one to myself because i had extra domestic stamps and thought that my collection would be more complete if mine made it through its rounds in the postal system too. :)

Concidered that myself,but waiting to see if everyone gets mine before commiting .I only ordered 40 so one or two to spare:)

rover
01-20-2012, 14:49
US Postal rates go up next week so get that card to yourself in the mail tomorrow!!!

randolph45
01-20-2012, 15:09
US Postal rates go up next week so get that card to yourself in the mail tomorrow!!!

Yeah I forgot that,but after spending buco bucks on vanity stamps for the cards whats a few more pennys:)

Randy T
Broke but happy:rolleyes:

randolph45
01-21-2012, 11:36
Rob yours arrived today and one from Eric K in MI:)

dct
01-21-2012, 13:38
It gets very mad :mad:
Friday no postcards.
Saturday neither.
And sunday no postal delivery.
One of the rare mondays I'm looking forward! :D

ampguy
01-21-2012, 16:36
Got Rob's and another one today. I think I have about 20, and I'm very happy. Anything that comes later is just gravy. I'm sure the other 20 folks either have sent, or plan to in some future life, but as with my experience with print swaps, anything near about half of what is planned, is a pretty good return, given the postal services, and people being busy, etc.

Now to find some kind of album to put these in!

dboxer
01-21-2012, 22:03
I mailed out my cards today.
I've received 20 cards as of Friday. No cards on Saturday.

It's been a fun project, though I had a challenging time selecting the image to print and mail. In fact, I ended up printing two different images and only mailed one. I didn't have enough of the second image printed, so I sent the first so that everyone would get something, and the same thing, from me.

I'm curious to hear how participants chose the photos they did and why?

If ever there's another call for a postcard project count me in!
Thanks to all for their lovely photos and friendly notes. And a special thanks to Rob for scheming this up.

ampguy
01-22-2012, 08:00
"the hallway" was simply one that I had recently taken, and had selected to print for home. It's also one of the best 800 images I have. I will really miss Portra800, which has so much less grain than Fuji or the lesser Kodak 800s.

About the various techniques used - I found that glossy on thick hard stock seemed the most authentic. The bordered, matte (like mine), and ink jet printed ones, can be very nice images, but didn't seem like real postcards, as did the ones sent in envelopes. I think some folks used MOO or something and those are OK, but others used an actual postcard type stock that I would probably want to use next time, with glossy, and with filling the whole card.

The writing side is not so important to me, but the Hobby Lobby rubber stamp used is a good idea, it smeared a bit, but with waterproof ink it would very likely look like a real postcard.

I liked the one where the sender used his image as the stamp (stamps.com?) getting 2 images on their card! And the stamp from the Island of Sodor was most interesting, as we went through that Thomas thing very seriously for about 7 years or so...

Very fun project!

I mailed out my cards today.
I've received 20 cards as of Friday. No cards on Saturday.

It's been a fun project, though I had a challenging time selecting the image to print and mail. In fact, I ended up printing two different images and only mailed one. I didn't have enough of the second image printed, so I sent the first so that everyone would get something, and the same thing, from me.

I'm curious to hear how participants chose the photos they did and why?

If ever there's another call for a postcard project count me in!
Thanks to all for their lovely photos and friendly notes. And a special thanks to Rob for scheming this up.

dct
01-23-2012, 03:50
Got Rob's and another one today. I think I have about 20, and I'm very happy. Anything that comes later is just gravy...
.../...

The postman did a good job today: 3 more postcards in the letterbox. Count is 21. As per above definition: I already got on the gravy train! :D
One of those was the only one coming from Asia.

randolph45
01-23-2012, 11:30
Wonderfull cards from Malayisa and Boston:)

semordnilap
01-23-2012, 11:34
Wonderfull cards from Malayisa and Boston:)

That was quick... they left Boston on Friday!!! Great! I'm looking forward to today's mail...

pggunn
01-23-2012, 14:27
Robert,

I enjoyed your post and left a comment on your blog.

Got your card Saturday. Well done.

thanks,

gregor

sojournerphoto
01-23-2012, 14:34
Yep, another two today. Coming home is exciting at the moment.

We should start on a thread with our pictures/details soon - whilst the momentum is strong?

Mike

ricnak
01-23-2012, 14:53
I picked up 6 more yesterday. It is better than Xmas. Many thanks to Greg and Greg, Ted, Randy, Ralph and Crystal.

Randy - your selfie stamp is a winner!

Jimbot
01-23-2012, 15:41
Although a late starter I have received 11 postcards so far this week! Thank you all so much. Once again I am in awe of the photos presented by members here.

Given this happy result I have now ordered some proper postcards based on my photo online from a page called "zazzle.com".

Is there a better way to go? Is there a better source? My preference would be to get some card stock and self print but i haven't located the right software.

Any tips?- Remembering that I am hanging here on the bottom of the Earth in sunny Newcastle Australia, so shipping from the US or Europe is not so attractive.

Thank you again.

ampguy
01-23-2012, 16:15
Got another 4 today. Very nice. Gravy!! On a couple cards, the post office is putting a bar code like adhesive on the writing side bottom, obscuring some of the text. I'll scan one if anyone needs to know what I'm talking about here, but will first check with the postcard writer(s).

randolph45
01-23-2012, 16:18
I picked up 6 more yesterday. It is better than Xmas. Many thanks to Greg and Greg, Ted, Randy, Ralph and Crystal.

Randy - your selfie stamp is a winner!

Thought I'd have some fun with it :)

randolph45
01-23-2012, 16:29
Got another 4 today. Very nice. Gravy!! On a couple cards, the post office is putting a bar code like adhesive on the writing side bottom, obscuring some of the text. I'll scan one if anyone needs to know what I'm talking about here, but will first check with the postcard writer(s).

I got five with stickers.4 USA ,1 Germany
I peeled the sticker off with no problem and placed it farher to the left so the printing shows.That card was the"Greenhouse"from Oakland,CA. All the others were fine:)

seakayaker1
01-23-2012, 16:35
Nice to come home today to the mail. No mail delivery yesterday with the Martin Luther King Holiday. So a nice surprise to see ten postcards in the mailbox!

In order ......
1. jesse1dog (John) ~ Afon Fathew, Wales
4. Greg ~ Rome, Georgia

...... to go along with the previous six
1. Ted ~ Spokane, WA
2. Stephan ~ Bremen, Germany
3. Matus ~ Frankfurt, Germany
4. Randy ~ Philadephia, Pennsylvania
5. Keith ~ Keith, Chino Hills, California
6. Chris ~ Northchurch, UK

Not quite 50% of the total cards received at this point in time so some nice surprises await with the arrival home!

Thanks everyone for the beautiful postcards!

After last week with lots of snow and cold weather it was nice to come this evening to a new batch of postcards.

1. Mike ~ North Yorkshire, UK
2. Robert ~ Busto Arsizio, Italy
3. Rob ~ Raquette Lake, NY
4. Jamie ~ Oakland, CA
5. Dan B ~ Seattle, WA
6. Will ~ Plano, TX (BTW - I lived in Plano for a couple of years in '93 to '95 timeframe up on Legacy Drive)
7. Eric ~ Grand Rapids, MI
8. Floyd ~ West Sussex, UK

Also posted a second card to Nightstar on Saturday morning so hopefully it will arrive in Australia latter this week.

With twenty-four postcards already in hand and if everyone does have the opportunity to send along a postcard in the mail then, perhaps, thirteen more will be arriving in the mail!

Beautiful collection with a couple of folks sending out two, thank you one and all.

ampguy
01-23-2012, 16:47
The "Greenhouse" one has the adhesive obscuring 2 lines, but I do not feel right tampering with the postcard, I like the idea of keeping it the way it came in the mail.

Besides, that guy just writes nonsense anyways :D

I got five with stickers.4 USA ,1 Germany
I peeled the sticker off with no problem and placed it farher to the left so the printing shows.That card was the"Greenhouse"from Oakland,CA. All the others were fine:)

ampguy
01-23-2012, 17:14
Not sure about zazzle, but having recd. about 20, I'll give a brief review of what I think are the best quality cards that made it here, based on what feels like the standard thickness of a postcard, and image notes or other, if applicable:

Best paper stocks:

Violin player - Dan - Deep blacks, no cast, one of the thickest. I would have printed completely borderless, but this stock is of the heaviest of the bunch. Not sure what paper source was used.

Bike w/ white balloons - Stephan - www.posterXXL.de - image quality (color) is 10/10. Paper thickness is 8/10 - exc.

Green Cactus - tomtofa - not sure of paper source, but thick. Image is excellent, if the original had a green cast. If it didn't, well ... ;)

SF skyline at night - Jim RBC photographs - heavy, and good b/w image with solid blacks. exc.

MAX Downtown w/reflections - rover - heavy stock, good color image. exc.

Now the others are all great and creative, image wise, and postcard wise, but for various reasons, and I'm sure on purpose, are not "standard" postcards, in other words, but that is not a bad thing at all. Being Differint is a good thing.

Although a late starter I have received 11 postcards so far this week! Thank you all so much. Once again I am in awe of the photos presented by members here.

Given this happy result I have now ordered some proper postcards based on my photo online from a page called "zazzle.com".

Is there a better way to go? Is there a better source? My preference would be to get some card stock and self print but i haven't located the right software.

Any tips?- Remembering that I am hanging here on the bottom of the Earth in sunny Newcastle Australia, so shipping from the US or Europe is not so attractive.

Thank you again.

nighstar
01-23-2012, 18:03
Also posted a second card to Nightstar on Saturday morning so hopefully it will arrive in Australia latter this week.

thanks a lot!

i got 4 more cards yesterday but i'm not at home at the moment to be able to say from who. they were all very nice and i remember that one was from Randy thanks to the unique stamp. :) my grand total is new 14 cards received.

it's been bucketing down rain for the past several days and a couple of the postcards have gotten a tad water damaged in the mailbox. :( i'm hoping to get home soon after the mail is delivered to rescue today's postcards (if there are any).... wish the rain would stop. :(

tomtofa
01-23-2012, 18:18
...Green Cactus - tomtofa - not sure of paper source, but thick. Image is excellent, if the original had a green cast. If it didn't, well ... ;)

Ha, yes, the image is tinted, fairly accurate reproduction by Moo, the online service I used.

One of the nice things about the thread we'll have at the conclusion of this is seeing decent web versions of the images to compare to the cards. So far the hard copy images have been great to my eye.

seakayaker1
01-23-2012, 20:11

Thank you again.

Jim, I used moo.com for my postcards. http://us.moo.com/products/postcards.html

They do state that they ship worldwide, you can get estimates from the web site.

For printing on your own there is the Ilford post card paper.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/834846-Ilford-Multigrade-MGIV-RC-Portfolio-Postcard-Double-weight-4x6-100

Product Details:
Ilford Multigrade IV RC Portfolio is a variable contrast, black and white photographic paper on a double-weight resin coated base. It is a premium-quality paper that produces prints with deep rich blacks and a neutral image color on a bright white base, available in Glossy and Pearl surfaces.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/images/prod/834846.jpg

I image you would be able to find it down under . . . . .

Look forward to seeing your post card in the near future!

dct
01-23-2012, 22:25
Yep, another two today. Coming home is exciting at the moment.

We should start on a thread with our pictures/details soon - whilst the momentum is strong?

Mike

I would like to wait another 10 days, before we start a separate picture/discussion thread, because that would also discover the cards which are still one the way to me. I like the surprise!

Of course, we shouldn't wait too long. How about the 1st of February as a starting point for the review thread? By that time we also need a dedicated gallery on which every participant can upload his image to keep the images along the thread for a long time.
(Moderator task?)

brainwood
01-23-2012, 22:26
1st of feb sounds good to me

rbiemer
01-24-2012, 12:32
I would like to wait another 10 days, before we start a separate picture/discussion thread, because that would also discover the cards which are still one the way to me. I like the surprise!

Of course, we shouldn't wait too long. How about the 1st of February as a starting point for the review thread? By that time we also need a dedicated gallery on which every participant can upload his image to keep the images along the thread for a long time.
(Moderator task?)
I like this: both the sharing and the waiting until we each have all of the cards.

already 20 ! and I spoke about this project here in my blog! Thank you all!
Robert, what you wrote in your blog is very good. I only wish I expressed myself half so well when I suggested this!
And I am going to be reading your blog in future, it is well worth the time!

Rob

kxl
01-24-2012, 12:37
I like this: both the sharing and the waiting until we each have all of the cards.

Rob

Rob - I assume that when the time comes, you'll start a "postcard project review" thread?

-Keith

rbiemer
01-24-2012, 12:41
Rob - I assume that when the time comes, you'll start a "postcard project review" thread?

-Keith

Or Mike (sojournerphoto) could; I think he suggested it first?
I'm happy to but I don't want to try to dominate the discussions about our project!

Rob

dct
01-24-2012, 12:55
I'm happy to but I don't want to try to dominate the discussions about our project!

Rob

Don't hide your light under a bushel, Rob. You are the initiator of this awesome project. Credit is due to you. Did I already gave my thanks to you?

I would be happy if you also could manage the close down of this thread by the time. And starting the new one (again with some guidance regarding the images) for the review of this real life project.

Valentino

sojournerphoto
01-24-2012, 13:03
Don't hide your light under a bushel, Rob. You are the initiator of this awesome project. Credit is due to you. Did I already gave my thanks to you?

I would be happy if you also could manage the close down of this thread by the time. And starting the new one (again with some guidance regarding the images) for the review of this real life project.

Valentino

Rob, I couldn't agree more - you are the one who started the project and in starting the next thread you are not dominating, but serving us all.

This has been a truly great project and the gatheering cards are making me smile every evening. When we have the thread with the images and some info - I hope about the reasons they were takena s well as the technical - to compare with our little books, it will be a good conclusion.

Happy to wait until Feb.

Mike

shadowfox
01-24-2012, 13:06

-Keith

Rob

Why do we need a separate thread for this?
One thread for the whole project is better because it allows for continuation of discussion plus you can see the ebb and flow of the project (not that this one has any ebb :) ).

Also don't forget those who send the card later and needing to catch up.

ricnak
01-24-2012, 13:12
Today I got Tom's echium (?) postcard. I really liked the tinting. The card suffered some damage and lost some image. Like scars, they add character.

Has anyone outside of Oz got my postcard yet? They should be getting close now.

randolph45
01-24-2012, 13:19
I will be meeting a group of RFF people on Feb 4th and was wondering if I should take the postcards I have received so far.What do you think? I don't want to spoil the fun we are having without your permmission. SO?

Got another card today from DBoxer in Seattle.This makes 25 not counting the double cards sent:)

pevelg
01-24-2012, 13:21
Well, I FINALLY got around to putting addresses on my postcards. Will try getting them all out tomorrow!!! :D

Jimbot
01-24-2012, 14:24
Thank you very much for that information Seakayaker. I have ordered some of that Ilford stock.

I have sent out 4 of my cards now with the rest on the launch pad once I receive some more card stock and print them.

The photo I have chosen for my card , which you will hopefully all receive shortly, was taken a few weeks ago on a very hot pre-Christmas afternoon (Australia remember?) about 4.30pm at a local ocean bathes, built of concrete extending into the Pacific.

I used an expired Kodak Ektacolor Pro-160 120 film in a hand-held Hasselblad 503CW with a Planar 2.8/80.

Not great art but I like the way the bright light on the water and the weathered pavement came up on the expired film. The beach haze and distant action behind the figure entering the water also pleased me.

Not a RF I know, but that is the camera I have been using most lately. My next major purchase might well be a medium format RF. I like the look of medium format photos.

dct
01-24-2012, 14:31
I will be meeting a group of RFF people on Feb 4th and was wondering if I should take the postcards I have received so far.What do you think? I don't want to spoil the fun we are having without your permmission. SO?

Got another card today from DBoxer in Seattle.This makes 25 not counting the double cards sent:)

Well, Randy, if I had the chance to show our nice project to other RFF members: I would do it, as long the cards will not be shot and posted before we start here :p
My 0.02.
Valentino

dct
01-24-2012, 14:34
Today I got Tom's echium (?) postcard. I really liked the tinting. The card suffered some damage and lost some image. Like scars, they add character.

Neither from you nor from the other few down under participants. :(
It's a long way to western Europe!!! ;)

ampguy
01-24-2012, 16:19
Yeah, be sure to enforce the "No Cameras or Photography Allowed" if you take our postcards :D

Got a couple intl. ones today, one from Malaysia, beautiful, and one in an envelope. Not sure if I want to open the envelope as it will rip the paper...

Well, Randy, if I had the chance to show our nice project to other RFF members: I would do it, as long the cards will not be shot and posted before we start here :p
My 0.02.
Valentino

seakayaker1
01-24-2012, 16:19
Arrived home and two more post cards in the mailbox!

1. Ben ~ Brookline, MA
2. TJ ~ Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia (enjoyed the stamp placement by your 3 year old, a very nice touch!)

Now have twenty-six postcards in hand and if everyone does have the opportunity to send along a postcard in the mail then, perhaps, eleven more will be arriving in the mail!

Love them, and look forward to see what arrives over the next several days.

ampguy
01-24-2012, 16:29
I hope everyone has gotten mine, if not here's what I'd like to offer: If someone else in your country, or nearby country has gotten mine, but you haven't, and it's been a week since that person received theirs, I will send another. Just let me know.

ampguy
01-24-2012, 17:19
I have 25, but don't think I have about 2-3 on your list, so I might have 1 or 2 that you haven't recd. yet. Will be interesting to see what we end up with.

There are a couple that I haven't identified but I *think* are from this project, but since the name on the card doesn't match an rff name, or the name in Rob's email, perhaps it is meant to be this way...or perhaps it is not RFF related, and random photos were sent ... :p

Arrived home and two more post cards in the mailbox!

1. Ben ~ Brookline, MA
2. TJ ~ Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia (enjoyed the stamp placement by your 3 year old, a very nice touch!)

Now have twenty-six postcards in hand and if everyone does have the opportunity to send along a postcard in the mail then, perhaps, eleven more will be arriving in the mail!

Love them, and look forward to see what arrives over the next several days.

seakayaker1
01-24-2012, 20:52
I have 25, but don't think I have about 2-3 on your list, so I might have 1 or 2 that you haven't recd. yet. Will be interesting to see what we end up with.

There are a couple that I haven't identified but I *think* are from this project, but since the name on the card doesn't match an rff name, or the name in Rob's email, perhaps it is meant to be this way...or perhaps it is not RFF related, and random photos were sent ... :p

I have received a few postcards a couple of days after others reported receiving them. Not sure if it is delays or folks dropping them in the mail in batches. I did have one where I made an ID of the person who sent it from the town on the Postal Stamp.

Hopefully everyone will have them in the mail so they arrive by the beginning of February and we can sort things out when everyone posts their electronic version.

One thing for sure is I am happy that I did sign up and participated in the project as many others have indicated as well.

Jamie Pillers
01-24-2012, 21:20
Hey, hey! I write excellent nonsense, thank you very much! :-)

I'm curious, did the post office put some sort of sticker on my postcard (Greenhouse)? If so, I'm sure they were just trying make 'art' out of it. :-)

randolph45
01-24-2012, 22:39

I'm curious, did the post office put some sort of sticker on my postcard (Greenhouse)? If so, I'm sure they were just trying make 'art' out of it. :-)

Yes they did,you have been declared postal non Grata or something to that effect:eek: So my curious nature got the best of me and I lifted it off and moved it over 1/4 in. Much easier to read all the nonsense better. I can move it back if you so desire but only for arts sake:rolleyes: or was it graffitti:o

Jamie Pillers
01-24-2012, 23:06
I don't know... isn't it against the law to move those stickers? Something like removing the tags from mattresses?

But yes, to answer your question, I did indeed plan for the Post Office folk to place a sticker at exactly the spot on the card that would turn it from mundane snapshot to... ART. :-)

randolph45
01-24-2012, 23:11
I don't know... isn't it against the law to move those stickers? Something like removing the tags from mattresses?

But yes, to answer your question, I did indeed plan for the Post Office folk to place a sticker at exactly the spot on the card that would turn it from mundane snapshot to... ART. :-)

Ok so my moving it is a felony but i claim it to be Graffitti Art on my part( insert razzeberry here)

Matus
01-25-2012, 00:10
I am out of home for a week and just can't wait to see what will be delivered :) I was at about 15 on last Saturday :)

What I probably enjoy the most is the variety of subjects, compositions and printing methods/materials.

dct
01-25-2012, 05:11

You did it! It flew directly into my letter box this morning. Love the liveguard board and other contrast elements.

randolph45
01-25-2012, 11:47
Helen
Your card arrived today:)
Stunning I would say by all means.
The card stock is nice and heavy.
Postal process date on the back says the 11th ,so I'm guessing 14 days to get here.:rolleyes:

My wife and I have a friend in Tugun south of you Who we hope to visit before we get to old to travel:)

randolph45
01-25-2012, 12:18
I don't know yet if I will be able to upload my card.My gallery function is still acting up and Stephen has let the tech look into it.My gallery function say's I have 61KB to use and I have dumpted all my photos trying to make room ,but 61Kb won't even give me a postage size image:( If it's not fixed I'll ask one of you to upload it for me :eek:

ampguy
01-25-2012, 12:18
Yes, yours was one of a few, that instead of just having the mini vertical barcodes imprinted at the bottom right of the card, they attached a label with the code and is on the lower left of your card covering most of the text on mine. I can read about something "digital" but you can just tell me what was written next month after everyone gets their cards.

Unless of course, there is some time sensitive message there, like to claim my free digital Leica M9 titanium from you, that I must reply before Feb. 2012, then, please let me know sooner ;)

http://www.admonline.com/pdf_files/Postcard_Design_Specs.pdf

Rob - thanks for initiating this project. It is a lot of fun, and I look forward to finding a nice album for all of the cards and prints!

ampguy
01-25-2012, 12:19
I can put it on my smugmug for you if you need a place to host and link to it.

I don't know yet if I will be able to upload my card.My gallery function is still acting up and Stephen has let the tech look into it.My gallery function say's I have 61KB to use and I have dumpted all my photos trying to make room ,but 61Kb won't even give me a postage size image:( If it's not fixed I'll ask one of you to upload it for me :eek:

ricnak
01-25-2012, 14:59
So glad to see that mine have started arriving. 14 days is a bit slow. Parcels travel faster than letters.

randolph45
01-25-2012, 15:05
So glad to see that mine have started arriving. 14 days is a bit slow. Parcels travel faster than letters.

That could be true.When I ordered Peter K's book on Canon Rf lenses from OZ it didn't seem to take that long:rolleyes:

randolph45
01-25-2012, 15:06
I can put it on my smugmug for you if you need a place to host and link to it.

Thanks for the offer I will let you Know:)

jcrutcher
01-25-2012, 16:39
Received 2 today, Dan in Seattle and Helen in Australia , very nice indeed. I'm up to 26!

randolph45
01-26-2012, 16:01
Nighstar
Got your card today from OZ
Wife want's to know what type of plant or tree this is:)

seakayaker1
01-26-2012, 16:10
Received a postcard today from Helen in Australia which is beautiful photograph!

So now the list grows to 25 cards received.

4. Greg ~ Rome, Georgia
11. Ted ~ Spokane, WA
12. Stephan ~ Bremen, Germany
13. Matus ~ Frankfurt, Germany
14. Randy ~ Philadephia, Pennsylvania
15. Keith ~ Keith, Chino Hills, California
16. Chris ~ Northchurch, UK
17. Mike ~ North Yorkshire, UK
18. Robert ~ Busto Arsizio, Italy
19. Rob ~ Raquette Lake, NY
20. Jamie ~ Oakland, CA
21. Dan B ~ Seattle, WA
22. Will ~ Plano, TX
23. Eric ~ Grand Rapids, MI
24. Floyd ~ West Sussex, UK
25. Helen ~ Brookside Centre, Queensland, Australia

. . . . . keep 'em coming!

ampguy
01-26-2012, 16:46
Very nice! Up to 26 so far.

pggunn
01-26-2012, 18:37
I think I'm up to 21 now, having received Helen's (outstanding!) this afternoon.

I've been confined to bed for most of this week due to an old back injury that returned with a vengeance, and I can't sit at the computer for more than a few minutes without an IV.

Hope to be back on my feet in a few days and will acknowledge receipt of the others then.

This has been a great project and I cherish all the cards I've received.

Thank you all. I'm crawling back to bed now.

ampguy
01-26-2012, 19:37
Let's see what's missing:

> So now the list grows to 25 cards received.

check (env.) 1. jesse1dog ~ Afon Fathew, Wales
check 2. Christian ~ Alemeda, California
check 3. Greg ~ Greensboro, North Carolina
I think - bridge? Greg M.? Mine wasn't postmarked* 4. Greg ~ Rome, Georgia
check russelljtyder 5. Russell ~ Milan, Italy
check 6. Randy ~ Sacramento, California
check 7. Valentino ~ Duernten, Switzerland
check tomtofa 8. Tom ~ Fremont, California
check rover 9. Ralph ~ Manchester, Connecticut
check 10. Jim ~ Phoenix, Arizona
me 11. Ted ~ Spokane, WA
check Krotenblender 12. Stephan ~ Bremen, Germany
check 13. Matus ~ Frankfurt, Germany
check zauhar 14. Randy ~ Philadephia, Pennsylvania
check kxl 15. Keith ~ Keith, Chino Hills, California
not yet 16. Chris ~ Northchurch, UK
check sojournerphoto (2 in env.) 17. Mike ~ North Yorkshire, UK
check 18. Robert ~ Busto Arsizio, Italy
check 19. Rob ~ Raquette Lake, NY
check 20. Jamie ~ Oakland, CA
check dboxer 21. Dan B ~ Seattle, WA
check shadowfox 22. Will ~ Plano, TX
check hipsterdufus 23. Eric ~ Grand Rapids, MI
check (in env.) 24. Floyd ~ West Sussex, UK
check 25. Helen ~ Brookside Centre, Queensland, Australia

+

TJ - Malaysia
semordnilap Ben Boston, MA
seakayaker1 Dan, Seatle, WA

*in the old days when we were poor, we used to cut/peel these stamps off and re-use ...

Received a postcard today from Helen in Australia which is beautiful photograph!

So now the list grows to 25 cards received.

4. Greg ~ Rome, Georgia
11. Ted ~ Spokane, WA
12. Stephan ~ Bremen, Germany
13. Matus ~ Frankfurt, Germany
14. Randy ~ Philadephia, Pennsylvania
15. Keith ~ Keith, Chino Hills, California
16. Chris ~ Northchurch, UK
17. Mike ~ North Yorkshire, UK
18. Robert ~ Busto Arsizio, Italy
19. Rob ~ Raquette Lake, NY
20. Jamie ~ Oakland, CA
21. Dan B ~ Seattle, WA
22. Will ~ Plano, TX
23. Eric ~ Grand Rapids, MI
24. Floyd ~ West Sussex, UK
25. Helen ~ Brookside Centre, Queensland, Australia

seakayaker1
01-26-2012, 21:14
Ted, thanks for checking off what you have received when I saw TJ & Ben names I knew that I had seen their cards. So I went through my stack of postcards and found two that I had checked off on a separate sheet I was keeping but did not add them to my list on here.

So . . . . .

26. TJ ~ Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
27. Ben ~ Brookline, MA

. . . . . . keep 'em coming!

dct
01-27-2012, 01:05
With nighstar incoming today, I'm up to 28! I can hardly wait until I can shot and publish an image of me together with all around 40 photographs you sent.

tj01
01-27-2012, 03:40
Thanks for the wonderful cards.

1. Rob Biemer
2. Russell J.T. Dyer
3. Matus Kalisky
4. Chris Brainwood
5. Greg Gunn
6. Jim Crutcher
7. Ralph Meliso
8. Floyd Summerhayes
9. Mike Shimwell
10. Randy Zauhar
11. Robert K. Rehmann
12. Keith Leonin
13. Christian Fritze
14. Valentino Ducati
15. Dan Harrington
16. Stephan Kuhagen
17. Tom Farrell
18. John Cordingley ( is that you with the nice Sodor train stamp ? )

Love them all.

TJ

jesse1dog
01-27-2012, 06:14

Yep - that was me!
Unfortunately my little local post office had a very depleted stock of stamps when I went to post - I cleared them out of the Thomas the Tank Engine (Sodor) stamps but there weren't enough for all the 'Rest of the World' cards - some people got lucky.

jesse

tj01
01-27-2012, 07:35

Yep - that was me!
Unfortunately my little local post office had a very depleted stock of stamps when I went to post - I cleared them out of the Thomas the Tank Engine (Sodor) stamps but there weren't enough for all the 'Rest of the World' cards - some people got lucky.

jesse

I got Daisy, which I like. TQ

ampguy
01-27-2012, 07:47
I'm in a similar situation, might be meeting a fellow RFF'er tomorrow, and want to show off the cards. I think I'll let them photograph the bunch, but will ask that they not show the image until next month or so. Is everyone OK with that?

btw, I may also be giving photography tours through the best secret photo places through the US Pac NW. Contact me offline for more info. ...

ricnak
01-27-2012, 14:37
Today I have 6 new postcards. TJ, Matus, Mike (x2) and Jim's wonderful prints and a postcard from Jim in Arizona.

Sadly, the postal service has stuck a big white sticker along the bottom of your postcard Jim which obscures the street detail in the foreground.

My total now is 20

pevelg
01-28-2012, 07:12
Whew, made it to the post office today, finally, and mailed 38 postcards. I hope that is everybody (17 international and 21 domestic). Since I made it AFTER the price increase, those who love stamps are in for a treat: TWO STAMPS!!! :D

seakayaker1
01-28-2012, 08:59

Yep - that was me!

jesse

John, thank you for the daisy!

Whew, made it to the post office today, finally, and mailed 38 postcards. I hope that is everybody (17 international and 21 domestic). Since I made it AFTER the price increase, those who love stamps are in for a treat: TWO STAMPS!!! :D

Congratulations! Looking forward to receiving your postcard.

jcrutcher
01-28-2012, 09:49
Today I have 6 new postcards. TJ, Matus, Mike (x2) and Jim's wonderful prints and a postcard from Jim in Arizona.

Sadly, the postal service has stuck a big white sticker along the bottom of your postcard Jim which obscures the street detail in the foreground.

My total now is 20

Are you referring to Jim in Arizona? Night shot of San Francisco? If so would you like me to mail you one in an envelope? I have a few left and don't mind at all, just let me know.
Jim

Matus
01-28-2012, 10:47
Arrived home yesterday and another postcards were waiting for me :) So I am at 27 and counting. I really enjoy to browse the stash and flip them around and read the texts ... again and again :)

zauhar
01-28-2012, 20:39
Got a bunch more cards last week -

Jamie Pillers - beautiful B&W (very muted color?) of foliage/dew
Eric Krause - Moody basement scene (multiple exposure?)
Tom Farrell - wonderful outdoor shot (love the tones in this)
TongJin Ooi - gorgeous forest scene, all the way from Malaysia! (thanks for the nice description)
Ben in Boston - Excellent reflection shot (I love these)
Dan Ramone - beautiful kid, can't miss with that photo!

AND -

two from down under, arrived on the same day -

Helen- stunning beach scene (this is one of my favorites so far)
Nighstar - fascinating redscale photo, like the "abstract" view through the branches and the lomo color

Looks like 28 so far, have a good number to go before the inevitable sad finish. ;-(

Randy

nighstar
01-28-2012, 22:48
Nighstar

sorry to say, but i don't remember. :( i took the photo at a botanic garden where there was a million kinds of everything. it was certainly one of the awesomest trees there, though. :)

i've gotten lots of really cool postcards since my last post. :) sadly i'm still without internet at my new home (*exasperated sigh*) and am stuck typing this on my phone.... so i'll keep this short and just update my list. sorry! comments to come later.

1. Stephan
2. Chris
3. Helen
4. Valentino
5. Greg G.
6. Ted
7. Randy Z.
8. Russell
9. Robert
10. Keith
11. John/Jesse
12. Christian
13. Randy T.
14. Ralph
15. Tom
16. Jim C.
17. TJ
18. Mike
19. Matus
20. Greg M.

thanks guys!

ricnak
01-29-2012, 01:06
[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph45 http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/themes/graphite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1797690#post1797690)
Nighstar
/QUOTE]

I should be able to help you here.

Looks like something from the fabaceae plant family. Given our location I would say a Jacaranda or a Poinciana tree.

Nighstar was lying on the ground looking up when she took the shot, or she has printed it upsidedown just to confuse us.

Either way... I like the pic. It is such a contrast to all the other postcards.

ricnak
01-29-2012, 01:11
Are you referring to Jim in Arizona? Night shot of San Francisco? If so would you like me to mail you one in an envelope? I have a few left and don't mind at all, just let me know.
Jim

Jim.

It was your postcard. After reading your offer to send another I tried to peel the label off. No dramas at all. The gloss card travels very well.

ricnak
01-29-2012, 01:12
[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph45 http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/themes/graphite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1797690#post1797690)
Nighstar
/QUOTE]

Looks like something from the fabaceae plant family. Given our location I would say a Jacaranda or a Poinciana tree.

Nighstar was lying on the ground looking up when she took the shot, or she has printed it upsidedown just to confuse us.

nighstar
01-29-2012, 05:02

thanks x2! :D i'm new to Australia so i dont really know the names of native things. doesn't help that the garden also had non-native plants too. :)

and actually, i took the photo like this:

http://a.yfrog.com/img532/2026/yoays.jpg

photo taken with my cellphone after taking the postcard photo. ;)

jesse1dog
01-29-2012, 07:35
Hi nighstar
Have your card too and wife and I turned it over and over wondering which was top and which was bottom, then decided we were wasting our time. The photo of your Ricoh 500 just proves that. A real fun little camera isn't it? Seem to think that it's one of the more interesting ones when it comes to replace the light seal inside! Glad you posted the picture.

jesse

blw
01-30-2012, 13:40
Okay everyone...I'm finally able to check in with an update on my postcard. I had a date a week and a half ago to develop a bunch of film, choose a negative, and print my postcards. Well 2 out of 3 wasn't too bad! I was in that darkroom for almost 9 hours and did manage a few of my postcards- just not nearly enough to justify sending then and leaving others hanging. Well after no communication with my darkroom contact last week, I have arranged to go down and bang out the rest of my postcards Wednesday night and hopefully mail them Thursday or Friday. Better late than never I reckon.

As for cards received...I think I'm somewhere around 29 or 30. I just got nighstar's in today's mail and it is a lovely shot. In all the talk about postcards received though, I see no one has received their postcard from Poland yet. I do hope our friend in Poland is okay.

Matus
01-30-2012, 14:06
Barry, we are all looking forward to see your postcard. I guess I know the reason for the delay - it must be the '404' problem ...

... (number of your posts as of now) :p

drewbarb
01-30-2012, 14:47
So, I finally got my postcards out today. I chose four or five different images so you won't all get the same ones. I went a little crazy- they were all printed on fiber paper, selenium toned, and even spotted. Then I hand addressed them all in pencil to keep with the hand-made feel.

I have really been enjoying the cards you all have sent- I have more than 25 so far- just got another lovely one today from Pavel. This has been one of the most enjoyable experiences I've found from the net in a long time, so thanks everyone!

seakayaker1
01-30-2012, 16:32
Received one more in the post today!

28. Nightstar ~ Brisbane, Australia

On a side note when I first ordered postcards, I switched to a different vendor after a few days since I liked their product better. Bottom line I still had to keep the first order but I was able to change the photograph. After receiving a 2nd postcard from a couple of RFF members I decided to share and made a second mailing. The back of the postcard was all done by hand and with a recent change in the postage rate everyone ended up with two stamps and a couple with three. If anyone cannot make out my writing/printing I would be happy to translate.

ampguy
01-30-2012, 17:43
I also received Nighstars, and Pavelg's today. Both are excellent!

Dan - can you clarify? I really like the one I got from you, deep blacks, and heavy stock, that is from Moo right? Or did you since find something even better? Thanks!

Received one more in the post today!

28. Nightstar ~ Brisbane, Australia

On a side note when I first ordered postcards, I switched to a different vendor after a few days since I liked their product better. Bottom line I still had to keep the first order but I was able to change the photograph. After receiving a 2nd postcard from a couple of RFF members I decided to share and made a second mailing. The back of the postcard was all done by hand and with a recent change in the postage rate everyone ended up with two stamps and a couple with three. If anyone cannot make out my writing/printing I would be happy to translate.

seakayaker1
01-30-2012, 22:09
I also received Nighstars, and Pavelg's today. Both are excellent!

Dan - can you clarify? I really like the one I got from you, deep blacks, and heavy stock, that is from Moo right? Or did you since find something even better? Thanks!

Ted the card that you received was ordered through Moo.com. It had the postcard image for the back and allowed to add text on the left hand side. The first site I ordered from did not have the postcard layout with the dividing line, stamp box and address lines to put on the back. I did not think of that when I posted the order. I then looked at the Moo.com website and their design software was easy to use to create the front and pick out the layout for the back of the postcard. I had already paid for the service from the first vendor. Since they did not go to print I was able to swap out the picture. The Moo Card Stock is a bit thicker as well.

The postcard project has been fun and a learning experience. After completely hand writing both sides of the back of 38 postcards this second time around, having as much detail pre-printed is a real time saver and saves from having a cramped hand.

krötenblender
01-31-2012, 02:05
As for cards received...I think I'm somewhere around 29 or 30. I just got nighstar's in today's mail and it is a lovely shot. In all the talk about postcards received though, I see no one has received their postcard from Poland yet. I do hope our friend in Poland is okay.

Not at home right now to check, but I have received my card from Poland at lead a week ago. I'm around 30 cards right now.

Will there be a picture thread tomorrow?

ricnak
01-31-2012, 02:36
Received 6 more today!

All from America.
From Ben, Hipsterdufus, Rob, Dan, Christian and Will.
Wonderful stuff guys!

blw
01-31-2012, 04:40
That's good to hear krotenblender.

On a side note to drewbarb...I haven't forgotten about you. I'm still having a hard time deciding which negative to send!

rbiemer
01-31-2012, 05:45
No cards in yesterdays' mail :( but I have gotten about 26 so far!

Some "housekeeping" sort of stuff:

I am personally leaning towards waiting a bit more before we start posting the images we sent: some people are only now mailing and from what's been posted in this thread, no one has the complete "set" in any case.
So, I propose that we wait until Tuesday 7 February before posting our images.
That will give a little time for those last few cards to show up. I don't think we should wait until all the cards have arrived: because of the numbers of cards, and the vagaries of the many postal systems we are using, that might be a very long wait!

I've no particular bias for continuing this thread or starting a new for image discussions and will be happy to let comments here guide that decision. I can see the pluses and minuses of either choice.

Lastly, shall I ask for an "RFF Postcard 2012" gallery where we can post our postcard photos?
My preference is to have the images here at RFF. Where we all came together to do this project.

Almost forgot, I have always removed the bar code sticker that sometimes is added to my incoming mail. As a rationalization for this habit of mine, I removed it from the postcards y'all sent me because it wasn't something you each applied to your cards.

:D
Rob

jesse1dog
01-31-2012, 06:14
I think the idea of holding off posting pictures into the forum until Tuesday 7th February is a good one. I've 28 cards to date, several guys have only just posted or not even posted yet and even the 7th might be a bit early.
It makes sense to me to continue this thread and post our pictures here - we know the thread's title and everything then will be all in the same place.
Haven't had a postcard for 4 days now but have enjoyed them all.
Several cards have 'bar code strips' but I've left mine on - I regard them as part of the 'history' of the card, together with their postmaks and various scuffs to their surface.
Thanks for starting this Rob.

jesse

rover
01-31-2012, 06:16
Lastly, shall I ask for an "RFF Postcard 2012" gallery where we can post our postcard photos?

Rob, I have two suggestions.

1) If you would like formal gallery space send a PM to Stephen and I am sure he would be able to accomplish that. I don't know how quickly, but he would be able to get that done.

2) The second option is for all of the images to be posted in a thread. I will make it a sticky thread in the projects forum for easy access.

I sort of think having a dedicated thread for the images will allow all to write in their posts about their photographs and comments on others'. I think the conversation in a thread can be a more fluid exchange. That would be my vote with just a first thought.

rbiemer
01-31-2012, 06:24
Rob, I have two suggestions.

1) If you would like formal gallery space send a PM to Stephen and I am sure he would be able to accomplish that. I don't know how quickly, but he would be able to get that done.

2) The second option is for all of the images to be posted in a thread. I will make it a sticky thread in the projects forum for easy access.

I sort of think having a dedicated thread for the images will allow all to write in their posts about their photographs and comments on others'. I think the conversation in a thread can be a more fluid exchange. That would be my vote with just a first thought.
Rover,
Your points in favor of option 2 are well taken: it is easier to have a discussion in the forums than in the gallery.

So, is the thing to do a separate "sticky" thread about the images or
is it to "stick" this thread?
What say y'all?

Rob

rover
01-31-2012, 06:26
I think a new thread for the images is better.

tomtofa
01-31-2012, 07:26
I think a thread is the way to go.

Tom

shadowfox
01-31-2012, 08:09
I think a new thread for the images is better.

Rover,

Having run the other RFF project (which you made sticky: Traveling Camera Project) that lives in one *single* thread, I must voice my vote for sticking to this thread instead.

It would be very nice to see the whole project's lifetime in a thread. It would not be very nice to have to flip to another thread to see the discussions about the images.

rover
01-31-2012, 08:29
It would be very nice to see the whole project's lifetime in a thread.

That is a very good point.

jesse1dog
01-31-2012, 08:54
That is a very good point.

Which is what I suggested we do and why!

jesse

seakayaker1
01-31-2012, 09:49
Waiting to February 7th or a few days longer to get as many as possible would be great.

Also keeping the images of the postcards and discussions in this thread would be the way I would vote.

Thanks Rob!

dct
01-31-2012, 10:13
Rover,

Having run the other RFF project (which you made sticky: Traveling Camera Project) that lives in one *single* thread, I must voice my vote for sticking to this thread instead.

It would be very nice to see the whole project's lifetime in a thread. It would not be very nice to have to flip to another thread to see the discussions about the images.

I changed my mind. I see the positive aspects keeping all together and I'm voting also to keep ONE (this) thread and to put the images in. But... You know the problem if the images are on xyz different platforms: People close their accounts or do some deletion work... With the time going, you will have more and more missing images inline.
Shouldn't we put the images right here as an "attachment" to the post, rather than linking to an image somewhere in the world? This is the only remaining complaint I have...

ampguy
01-31-2012, 10:19
Dan - thanks for the details on the cards.

Rob - waiting to the 7th is fine, and I'm fine with whatever you decide on same thread or new thread.

Thanks again for running this awesome project!!

krötenblender
01-31-2012, 10:44
But... You know the problem if the images are on xyz different platforms: People close their accounts or do some deletion work... With the time going, you will have more and more missing images inline.

Good point. OTOH the size limit of the image-attachments is very small. So I would do an attachment and link to a bigger version somewhere else. The latter may be gone sometime in the future (although I have my own domain and server), but the attachment stays as long as RFF exists.

Also I have no problem with waiting until next week, before posting the images.

JohnTF
01-31-2012, 10:56
Randy that is super cool.
It must be how darkroom printers spread the news about their services back in the old days :)

Watched this thread a bit, have been off line for a while, so forgive me for not reading all 18 pages before I post this, if this is a repeat you can understand, I do not have the bandwidth to go through it at present. ;-)

There is a list from the old Compuserve Photo Forum, believe a fellow named Smyth started the exchange, the list of contributors ended up somewhere on Google, and was searchable, so you may be putting your name and address in to the great electronic cloud.

Basically, we began by printing up extra prints on virtually scraps of paper and posting them. I still have a few boxes of the Ilford postcard paper, but the early ones were odd sizes with just stamps and addresses on the back.

Several magazines picked up on the exchange and published what they thought the best was. Some printed both sides, and the "patina" from the trip via the postal systems of the world.

Was great fun, met with fellow photographers (Jorge in Uruapan) who had a board full of exchanged prints, - mind you it was more than ten years ago and we were all shooting only film.

Was fun to buy a Magazine in Prague and see one of my prints on the page of that month's "post cards" and to come home to the cards in the mail.

Am sure Roger recalls it, he was pretty regular on that Forum.

Sorry if this repeats posted information, when I get home I will look over the thread more completely.

Hand made prints, snail mail, and B&W have all kind of become nostalgic?

Regards, John

randolph45
01-31-2012, 10:59
Nice shot from Pavel in Alaska.My first card this week:)

Corner damaged,but overall well received.

28 cards so far,not counting the doubles sent

ampguy
01-31-2012, 14:58
Hi Rob, it turns out I do have some preferences - I prefer to not use the upload to RFF method to share images. Fact is, the quality sucks. I don't mind linking to high quality images that I host though.

If anyone else wants to put the *front* side of my card here, there or wherever, that is fine. If scanning or photographing the *Back* side, please redact my last name and address. Thank you.

dct
01-31-2012, 15:06
There is a list from the old Compuserve Photo Forum, believe a fellow named Smyth started the exchange, the list of contributors ended up somewhere on Google, and was searchable, so you may be putting your name and address in to the great electronic cloud.

Interesting ideas. But please, a request to all: I don't wanna see my real name, mail and home address put onto an online searchable list or an image of my postcard back with the address and family name visible. The OP did it very well using only mail communication for real life data. These are my simple thoughts on privacy protection.

Thank you all for taking it into account.

kxl
01-31-2012, 15:10
If scanning or photographing the *Back* side, please redact my last name and address. Thank you.

Same here. And I think this should be a ***rule*** that applies to everyone.

I would have preferred a separate thread (make it sticky) for images and comments to demarc the next phase of the project, but I will accept whatever the majority decides.

seakayaker1
01-31-2012, 15:44
Received one more today . . . . .

29. Pavel ~ Rollo, MO

Beautiful photograph!

drewbarb
01-31-2012, 17:01
Interesting ideas. But please, a request to all: I don't wanna see my real name, mail and home address put onto an online searchable list or an image of my postcard back with the address and family name visible. The OP did it very well using only mail communication for real life data. These are my simple thoughts on privacy protection.

Thank you all for taking it into account.
Same here. And I think this should be a ***rule*** that applies to everyone.

I whole heartedly agree- and I have to assume that most of us will feel the same. I think we should treat this as rule.

pggunn
01-31-2012, 18:36
Hello everyone. I've been out of commission for a few days and wanted to check in. I'm at 27 cards now and it's an amazing collection. I've been wanting to PM every sender but can't sit at the computer for very long yet. I'm getting there though, and hope to get caught up this weekend.

As for the discussion, February 7 sounds good to me but I have no strong preference on whether it remain in this thread or in a separate one. At first I thought separate because we're already on page 18 and haven't gotten to images yet, just logistics, etc. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to follow the entire project from conception to finish in one thread. It seems like the majority is leaning that way.

I hope that this will become an annual event. If so, we're probably going to want to have separate threads for each year, and maybe even produce books each year from one of the print on demand services like Blurb.

Any thoughts?

dct
01-31-2012, 20:54
I hope that this will become an annual event. If so, we're probably going to want to have separate threads for each year, and maybe even produce books each year from one of the print on demand services like Blurb.

Any thoughts?

Yes and yes and yes!
Incredible to what this project comes...

Regarding the book idea. For not involved users it could be an interesting chance to aquire the physical result of our project. For my own, I like having the original postcards in a suitable sleeve folder and don't feel the need for an additional book.

But maybe I'm missing the crux of the matter...

krötenblender
02-01-2012, 02:04
I second the one-thread-a-year-idea, but not the book. I think, it should be a fun project and not work or a job... And a book is much work, I'm afraid. Let's keep it simple.

rbiemer
02-01-2012, 05:02
Several good points raised since I last posted.
So.
Once we start posting images of our cards, please do not show anyone's address or real name.

I think what I will do is to both link to a high res version of my photo and attach a version here. A bit ungainly but I think that will serve both to keep the image here and to have a decent sized one for us to look at.

For those folks that may want to see a physical example of our postcards, well, they could have played along with the rest of us so I really don't see the need for a book.
And, frankly, I don't have the skills or time to put one together.
Personally, I will happily show my collection to any one in person--in fact I suspect my family will start to slowly edge out of the room if they see me with the note book I've got them in...;)

Certainly separate projects should have separate threads.

I hope to see this postcard idea happen again and hope to participate regardless of who organizes it! I will likely be happy to do another around the first of next year but if any one wants to put another together before then, please do so!

I'm still not sure which is a better way to go about the thread(s); whether it makes more sense to keep a single thread or to have two threads--this one and another one with the photos...

Rover, which do you think makes better use of server space here at RFF? Or does it matter?

Regards,
Rob

rover
02-01-2012, 05:29
I don't think it matters, one thread or two regarding server space. I think the idea of keeping everything on one thread so the "life" of the project is all in one place is a good one. My thought of having two was just thinking that at this point we are on page 18 of this thread, so there is a long way to go before the images will show up for someone starting from the beginning. Perhaps this can be solved by an edit to the first post saying that the project was completed on 2/7/12, please click on page 19 to see the images.

shadowfox
02-01-2012, 06:21
Several good points raised since I last posted.
So.
Once we start posting images of our cards, please do not show anyone's address or real name.

I think what I will do is to both link to a high res version of my photo and attach a version here. A bit ungainly but I think that will serve both to keep the image here and to have a decent sized one for us to look at.

For those folks that may want to see a physical example of our postcards, well, they could have played along with the rest of us so I really don't see the need for a book.
And, frankly, I don't have the skills or time to put one together.
Personally, I will happily show my collection to any one in person--in fact I suspect my family will start to slowly edge out of the room if they see me with the note book I've got them in...;)

Certainly separate projects should have separate threads.

I hope to see this postcard idea happen again and hope to participate regardless of who organizes it! I will likely be happy to do another around the first of next year but if any one wants to put another together before then, please do so!

I'm still not sure which is a better way to go about the thread(s); whether it makes more sense to keep a single thread or to have two threads--this one and another one with the photos...

Rover, which do you think makes better use of server space here at RFF? Or does it matter?

Regards,
Rob

Rob,

I won't hurt to take a look at how I arrange the thread for this project (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46969).

You can dedicate the first post to become the road map, where to find the photos, where to find the discussions, etc. Rover's suggestion to provide links in the first post is an *excellent* one, wish I thought about that.

Keeping the project in one thread is to me crucial in keeping the momentum. Excitement and sometimes disappointment is best served chronologically. You lose that once you start another thread.

JohnTF
02-01-2012, 06:52
I whole heartedly agree- and I have to assume that most of us will feel the same. I think we should treat this as rule.

I stopped posting using my full real name, am sure those who want to can figure it out, but after doing a search for myself and finding stuff from the first days of the net, and my address and unlisted phone number, when I joined here, I simply did not use my full name.

It is not out of some paranoia, but there is enough information out there, and yes, I have some experience with ID theft, the local detective says he has a photo of the guy who stole his ID in front of the house in Florida he bought with it.

OTOH, if something happens to me, you guys can publish everything, it may be a hell of a yard sale and you may even know what some of the stuff in the back yard is. ;-)

The early postcard exchange ended up with names published in a searchable list for several reasons, first, we simply used our full names on that forum, and second, we simply sent the cards to the folks on the list, I do not think any of us had experienced any of the current electronic wrong doings at that time, and the list became public record after.

We all sent hand made prints then, many fiber base paper, etc.

I like the book idea, if someone wishes to edit such, books are easier to produce today and can be quite reasonable, someone could edit a decent book from the gallery with all the appropriate OK's.

I did not want to throw cold water on any of this, but it is what it is these days.

Regards, John

ampguy
02-01-2012, 07:21
I'd be pleased to do a blurb book for anyone who didn't get into it early, and I know one person already in that category.

I'd probably charge $200 for the book, and only the fronts of the cards (or copies if not a book), and no addresses or names from the back of the cards, but stamp, postmark, and left hand text if no identity info is there.

But, the other folks probably want something here too (I would), so say if everyone wants $1 / book sold for their postcard image being in it, then the book price goes to $230 ish.

Is there a market for this?

Best thing to do IMHO is to participate. Costs less than you probably think. 4x6 prints work fine around the world and cost 13 cents each. postage is (was) .29 throughout the US, .80 cents Canada from the US, then $0.89 to 1.09 ish for RoW, so for 40 participants you can do it for less than $60-ish. Moo cards seem about the best at 80 cents or so each, so for next year I might go with them, or might try to find a lower priced alternative.

I realize my 4x6 Costco print is flimsier than a moo card, but I wonder if anyone cares if they are mounting it in an album? The Fuji paper and inks used are probably going to last 100 years longer than home made prints, and vendors like moo? who knows.

krötenblender
02-01-2012, 10:37
Best thing to do IMHO is to participate. Costs less than you probably think. 4x6 prints work fine around the world and cost 13 cents each. postage is (was) .29 throughout the US, .80 cents Canada from the US, then $0.89 to 1.09 ish for RoW, so for 40 participants you can do it for less than $60-ish. Moo cards seem about the best at 80 cents or so each, so for next year I might go with them, or might try to find a lower priced alternative.

I would say, this is already very cheap. Living in Germany, I had only one other card sent into my country. Foreign countries cost .75€ (about 1 US-$), plus the cards.

But it really was worth it! Would'n do this every two weeks, though... ;)

jesse1dog
02-01-2012, 11:19
I am not happy for the photo that I used to be included in a BLURB book or indeed any book. That wasn't really in my mind as a possibilty when I joined the project. The photo is part of a collection that I am assembling for a not dissimilar project, and I want its publication to remain in my control.

So far in this postcard project I have cards from 28 different people, and the number has stuck there for nearly a week now - perhaps that's as good as it gets, and good it really is - thanks guys for the cards that have arrived.

Next time round, and I hope there is one and I want to be involved, we might perhaps wonder about a print within an envelope instead of the postcard. OK, there are good reasons for and against this, and perhaps this idea can be taken up towards the end of the thread when we ask - so what's next.

jesse

ampguy
02-01-2012, 17:37
I think one is a dup. from Dan showing his first card stock without the backside imprinting - great slow-mo color matte photo!

2nd is nice b/w glossy barn, edges a bit weathered which really add to the photo. If I picked up the card, as it is, I'd probably guess the card and image were 50 years old. The USPS added just the right amt. of wear!

Jesse - no problem, I doubt I'll do the book. I think most of us would have to think about how we wanted to share these, and the print books weren't in the original idea, so I think just sharing and discussing here as Rob initially stated is a fine thing.

FWIW - if anyone who didn't participate in the project wants a nice large version of my "hallway" card, well, contact me offline and we'll talk ;)

I am not happy for the photo that I used to be included in a BLURB book or indeed any book. That wasn't really in my mind as a possibilty when I joined the project. The photo is part of a collection that I am assembling for a not dissimilar project, and I want its publication to remain in my control.

So far in this postcard project I have cards from 28 different people, and the number has stuck there for nearly a week now - perhaps that's as good as it gets, and good it really is - thanks guys for the cards that have arrived.

Next time round, and I hope there is one and I want to be involved, we might perhaps wonder about a print within an envelope instead of the postcard. OK, there are good reasons for and against this, and perhaps this idea can be taken up towards the end of the thread when we ask - so what's next.

jesse

randolph45
02-01-2012, 21:48
Well the only card I got today was mine:)
I still have one left to send if one is lost in the mail to who ever didn't get one.

As for mine I sent it the day before with only the 29 cent postage,and got it back stamped return to sender with 3 cent postage due:DJust a little extra fun for me.I was hoping that would be the case and the post office obliged.

dct
02-02-2012, 00:39
I still have one left to send if one is lost in the mail to who ever didn't get one.

Me too. If somebody missed mine (titled: CRY, Basel) give me a PM. I ordered too much of it :p

jcrutcher
02-02-2012, 02:31
I'm stuck on 29 plus my own for 30.

Jim

randolph45
02-02-2012, 09:45
Three more today:)
Dan your second one

Russell from Milan Italy

Andrew in Kentucky

seakayaker1
02-02-2012, 16:16
One more arrived today!

30. Andrew ~ Louisville, KY

Still waiting on . . . . .

Jim ~ Austrailia
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Brad ~ PA
Ilia ~ CA
Barry ~ NC

. . . . . hopefully they are in the mail, and if not let us know, life certainly throws out some curve balls and plans change.

Love the postcards and this has been a great project!

Brad Bireley
02-02-2012, 16:52
Hey everyone. Just finished addressing all of my cards finally! All will be mailed tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Jimbot
02-02-2012, 17:55
I was a very late starter in this project and thanks to Rob and others for allowing me to participate.

I have tried and failed to "home print" some cards on Illford pre- printed postcard stock. For some reason, perhaps known to the more experienced, all the cards once printed later turned a light shade of pink.Believe me, what I don't know about photo printing could fill the world.

I am now waiting for some professionally printed cards which I understand might be a few days away. I will definitely address and send them the day they arrive.
Thank you all for your patience.

PS Last count i think I have received 26 cards

seakayaker1
02-02-2012, 21:14
Thank you Brad & Jim for the update! Outstanding . . . . .

. . . . . perhaps push out to February 14th before posting pictures in the thread?

dct
02-03-2012, 01:37
29... every day hoping for a few more at the letter box. Maybe they stick frozen somewhere in western EU. Around -12 C/0 F degrees max. temperature expected today.

jesse1dog
02-03-2012, 01:39
Dan - useful list of cards 'still to come' - matches mine although I've still to get Andrew's - guess it must be in the mail somewhere and I would expect it to arrive later than yours.
Great project - and yes, pushing out to Feb 14th before adding our photos to the thread seems a good idea to me too, but best not to leave it too long.

jesse

robert blu
02-03-2012, 01:39
28 here, north italy sunny and cold, today.
robert

blw
02-03-2012, 19:48
I haven't counted what I have lately...I would say somewhere around 32- give or take. I just received drewbarb's yesterday and it is a CRACKER. I'm sorry for superlatives here, but I think this is my favorite so far.

Regardless all this nonsense, my photo is in the mail today. I put them all in the slot around 2:30 PM EST. I hope you all enjoy it!

nighstar
02-04-2012, 04:12
i got 6 more cards all at once on Monday(?) and haven't gotten any more since. currently at 27 cards total.

1. Stephan
2. Chris
3. Helen
4. Valentino
5. Greg G.
6. Ted
7. Randy Z.
8. Russell
9. Robert
10. Keith
11. John/Jesse
12. Christian
13. Randy T.
14. Ralph
15. Tom
16. Jim C.
17. TJ
18. Mike
19. Matus
20. Greg M.
21. Jamie
22. Ben
23. Eric
24. Rob
25. Will
26. Dan H.
27. Dan B.

randolph45
02-04-2012, 21:03
I took all the cards I have to the beer n gear meet today.Everyone was pretty stoked with your results.This my get the postcard project some more participants next time:) No pictures were taken of the cards:eek:

Check the last page of the beer n gear thread for some of the gear that showed up today

randolph45
02-04-2012, 21:05
Nighstar did you get a Hassy to play with? Nice avatar too

nighstar
02-04-2012, 23:10
thanks. :) i finally got my Hasselblad back from being CLA'd and couldn't help taking photos of it (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1804085&postcount=371).

rover
02-05-2012, 02:20
Are you sure that is a photo of the camera?

nighstar
02-05-2012, 03:41
....well, i suppose there was some "photowhoring" going on too. ;)

dct
02-06-2012, 11:33

Jim ~ Austrailia
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Brad ~ PA
Ilia ~ CA
Barry ~ NC

Please help me double check the missing ones. My count is 32 and I believe I'm waiting for the following postcards:

Brad, PA
James, UK
Slawomir, Poland
Ilia, CA
Uwe, Germany
Barry, NC

This makes a total of 38 + mine = 39 actual participants. I guess, I'm one ahead... :confused:

zauhar
02-06-2012, 11:41
Please remind me - who sent two cards, one of a school event, all the Moms with cell phones? It inspired me to take this photo at my own kid's recital:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6805052265_b445daa346_z.jpg

I'll look again, but I think that pair was missing a name.

Thanks!

Randy

sojournerphoto
02-06-2012, 11:49
Please remind me - who sent two cards, one of a school event, all the Moms with cell phones? It inspired me to take this photo at my own kid's recital:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6805052265_b445daa346_z.jpg

I'll look again, but I think that pair was missing a name.

Thanks!

Randy

Hi Randy

That was me - though you were the only one to get the @mum's with cameras' picture. I did 4 that everyone got one of and then one offs for the second card. I thought it might be interesting that way.

Glad you found it interesting - I like the look your getting from the middle mum:)

Mike

rbiemer
02-06-2012, 12:09
Your count is correct; we had one more person join in after the "official" closing date.
So, we are at 39 total for this project.
Rob
Please help me double check the missing ones. My count is 32 and I believe I'm waiting for the following postcards:

Brad, PA
James, UK
Slawomir, Poland
Ilia, CA
Uwe, Germany
Barry, NC

This makes a total of 38 + mine = 39 actual participants. I guess, I'm one ahead... :confused:

rover
02-06-2012, 13:22
The thread is stuck

randolph45
02-06-2012, 13:22
Your count is correct; we had one more person join in after the "official" closing date.
Rob

Today Barry and Brad,as for the others you listed I don,t see them in my collection yet

32 plus mine excluding doubles sent=33

nighstar
02-06-2012, 15:19
got one postcard yesterday.

28. Floyd

the written message is a bit water damaged (damn rain!), but still legible. thanks. :)

looks like i'm a few behind the US crowd....

ampguy
02-06-2012, 15:54
Very beautiful color one from Brad/PA today. Thanks!

seakayaker1
02-06-2012, 16:54
Two more arrived today, both beautiful, a color and black and white!

31. Brad ~ Galeton, PA
32. Barry ~ Statesville, NC

Jim ~ Australia
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Ilia ~ CA

Love the postcards and this has been a great project!

seakayaker1
02-06-2012, 16:57
Rob

Rob, if I am not mistaken there was one person who had to drop out. I had listed 39 total including myself, so I was expecting to receive a total of 37 postcards. If I am missing a name, that would be a bonus since it may be one more in the mail!

nighstar
02-07-2012, 00:55
got three more cards today.

29. Andrew
30. Pavel

and a second card from Dan H. i really like all three cards but WOW! :eek: @ Pavel's Alaska shot! i so wanna go there someday.... even if i would die from the cold.

dct
02-07-2012, 01:41
Rob, if I am not mistaken there was one person who had to drop out. I had listed 39 total including myself, so I was expecting to receive a total of 37 postcards. If I am missing a name, that would be a bonus since it may be one more in the mail!

Yes, Dan. One out (Jan from ON). But another one last minute in (Jim from AUS). You should also receive cards from 38 persons. Apperently, I received Jim's postcard already by 26 January. I see you still miss it!?

Got Brad's (from PA) and Barry's (from NC) one today too. 34 are in. Waiting on:
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Ilia ~ CA

Valentino

pevelg
02-07-2012, 12:19
:D Make sure you go in the summer and STILL bring some warm clothes. Photo was taken the day after July 4th. Most interesting part about the ice is when it falls off the glaciers. It creates such a thundering noise. On the other hand, fireworks in Valdez (small town surrounded by mountains) cause the greatest drum rolling echoes in the mountains.

got three more cards today.

29. Andrew
30. Pavel

and a second card from Dan H. i really like all three cards but WOW! :eek: @ Pavel's Alaska shot! i so wanna go there someday.... even if i would die from the cold.

rbiemer
02-08-2012, 07:59
We all seem to still be waiting on the last few cards, 5 or 6 in my case, and that appears to be about where the rest of y'all are at.
So,
Time to share?
Knowing that I won't please everyone with this choice, I think YES.

This is what I sent:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KTWW_U9IJjg/TzKiUvBRuLI/AAAAAAAAE1M/fPNKb44EQgk/s800/34310015.JPG

And these are what I have received so far:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cgAoSYYOMow/TzKeiUUvonI/AAAAAAAAE00/Uq1pzxPx7sY/s720/SAM_1469.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NI1bsR1_VWE/TzKfRGJsKYI/AAAAAAAAE08/1aRpkYVCURU/s720/SAM_1470.JPG

I have said I would attach a (small) version of my photo as well as link to it but, I can't attach it...the 114k version exceeded my upload limit by 12.96Mb according to the "manage attachments" screen!

The cards I've got are all in pretty decent shape. Some minor bent corners and several had the barcode sticker on the image side but has been my practice since I started seeing these on my mail, I peeled those off.
A few nicks and scratches also.
But, overall, these and the incoming cards will make a wonderful art collection.
I still haven't quite decided how to store them. I'm now thinking to get some 5 x 7 photo sleeves and a nice looseleaf binder. 2 to a page so I can easily look at/show off both sides.
5 x 7 I think because the cards are all slightly different sizes and 4 x 6 photo sleeves might not fit all of the cards.

Thank you all again for making this happen!
Sure, I posted the idea here but with out your enthusiasm and eagerness to play, it would have been nothing but a few immaterial lines of electrons.
As it has turned out, we each have a small but good collection of real prints from around the world. A physical connection, as it were, with a few of our fellow RFFers.
You folks rock!

Let's see what y'all got, folks!
Rob

jesse1dog
02-08-2012, 10:28
Rob
What I expected really.
Yours was a great card of the Raquette Lake but I think the screen image I get has a translucency that the print didn't have.

I'm interested in just what some of the card images are, how the images were captured and any little stories connected. I do know that we haven't all got quite the same card collection, so I feel there is a lot more to come.
I'm off to assemble some notes on my card.
Thanks again Rob.

jesse

rover
02-08-2012, 10:59
First of all I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Rob for thinking of this and of course organizing the rest of us.

Secondly, I think this was a great idea, I really enjoyed this project, and with all of your cards in an album I have something to keep going back to and enjoy.

And finally, wow, thank you for the comments and compliments paid to me regarding my photo. The posts here in this thread and the very very kind PMs sent. That means a lot. Really, I am the poster child of photography hobbyist, Dad with a Camera, and I very much appreciate your kind words. I simply enjoy sharing a little space here at RFF with you good photographers, if every once in a while I can poke my head in with the rest of you, wow.

My photograph is a look into, and the reflections in, the window Of Max Downtown, a restaurant in Hartford, CT. I had some issues deciding what photograph I would use because the aspect ratio of the postcard just didn't appeal to my eye when applied to a small number of photos I had identified as possibilities. What draws me to this image are the colors, the repetitive series of hanging lights reflected in the mirror on the wall inside, the placement of the waiter in the composition, and the reflection of the street outside, the car and the snow bank. This photograph was taken in 2007 as part of the RFF Equinox project. Those who participated photographed that March day and posted their photos so we could all see what that day was like around the world. I shot with an M6 and in this case, a Minolta x-570 sporting an MD Rokkor X 35/1.8 that day. I do not recall what film this was on. Here in CT that day was cold and breezy. I was out for a couple hours in the morning, then went back indoors to thaw out. Here is the set of my photographs shot during that walk, and the photograph which I used for my post card.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roversworld/sets/72157600023857393/

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6660116287_e7c77e0365_b.jpg

jcrutcher
02-08-2012, 14:13
I also would like to give Rob a hugh thank you, we really enjoyed it and cherish all the cards we received (32). I'm a rookie to photography so projects like this teach me more than I can learn from a book or myself. Thank you all for including me in this wonderful project.

My photo was taken November 2011 at 6:40 PM. I used a M9-P with a 50mm Summilux ASPH. I used a negative exposure compenstation of 1 1/2 stops. ISO 640, 1/30 and F1.4 (lightroom says F2 but I remember I was wide open). I cropped out about 20 %, used clone on a small part of a wall. Converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro 2. Post cards produced by Moo.

Jones and Clay street in San Francisco pointing East. This was over the Thanksgiving weekend so Christmas lights were on the big buildings. The Transamerica Pyramid is the main subject, the square lighted buildings are the Embarcadero office/shopping complex. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks again. Jim

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6842280507_4a5213f481_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/6842280507/)

kxl
02-08-2012, 19:18
Many thanks to Rob for putting this together. Here's the image on my postcard. This was taken at the Zocalo (Plaza de la Constitución) in Mexico City on our last trip south of the border a couple of years ago.

Taken with a ZI and ZM 50/2 Planar with Arista Premium 400 dev in Xtol 1+1.

http://www.leonin.net/Street-Scenes/Mexico/i-smFJ9Rg/0/L/zocalo-L.jpg

randolph45
02-08-2012, 20:47
http://i.pbase.com/g4/05/956005/2/141392444.5OEad2Bw.jpg
Well I'm still learning this computer stuff so you will have to dig out the right print.(img 0042)

When the project was first proposed I was thinking picture postcard
and not fine prints like all of the others are.

I like the close shots better but I wanted the bridge on the left in the print.Slight crop, but lost the light house on the right when the card was produced.I also considered using the California arch shot but all those had the glare and loss of the bottom line in the Calif sun sign

The card was done by Costco back east as they don't do them local.69 cents each ,laminated it says on the included info card with the order.Not as heavy a stock as Moo .

Lots to learn yet:o
Still waiting for mods to fix uploads for me till then just link to Pbase

P.S. With help from Rover who managed to put the original print up for me thanks.
I was able to put up thumbnails before and never a full print like this one
The to arch shots are at Pbase in the RFF gallery for those who havent seen the original post here(randolph45)

pevelg
02-08-2012, 21:10
Here is the photo I sent:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6845026873_a6c4a75229_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pevelg/6845026873/)

I really wanted to get one of my location, but the only really good one I had was off my Hasselblad and I had never scanned the film. I had made a 16x16 wet print and it was incredible. Maybe next time around I'll have it scanned by then. The image I sent was actually heavily cropped. I had a hard time finding a photo that I liked the crop imposed by Moo. Below is the original image, with boat railings cropped out (original was 6x7 from Mamiya 7).

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6845027873_1fd9ab2735_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pevelg/6845027873/)

seakayaker1
02-08-2012, 21:13
The photograph I selected was taken on Sunday, August 21, 2011 at the Ballard Farmers Market. The local food bank had set up a lemonade stand for donations and this wonderful women was playing the fiddle as an added attraction. The photograph is a favorite of mine because I love people who volunteer and give their time to organizations in need who help people in our communities. From teenagers to senior citizens we all can find a charitable organization and give them some of our time to help out.

I also felt that the subject fit well onto a small 4.25 x 6 inch format, was pleasing to the eye, told a story, and offered a suggestion as it traveled around and viewed by others during its journey and at its final destination.

Fund Raising Fiddler (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6075200135/sizes/l/in/set-72157626799691570/)
(click on title above for larger version)

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6074/6075200135_596ce269e7_z.jpg
Leica MP with 50mm Summilux

The film was HP5 which was developed and scanned at 60 minute photo in Seattle. Imported into Aperture, edited using NIK Silver Efex Pro 2, then opened in Adobe PS4, the Image resized, saved as a jpeg and uploaded to FlickR. The photo size (424 x 640) was uploaded from Flickr to Moo.com where i ordered the postcards.

A wonderful project that I enjoyed and heard that sentiment echoed by others who participated. Continued thanks to Rob for launching and guiding the project!

It is not over and look forward to receiving the remaining postcards that are still in route as well as reading other members stories and comments!

Add link to of second photo taken of the Ballard Food Bank Lemonade Stand with Fiddler: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6075200913/in/set-72157626799691570/lightbox/

nighstar
02-09-2012, 05:22
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6536896205_60ee6a49ca_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nighstar/6536896205/)
~ wildfire ~ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nighstar/6536896205/) by nighstar (http://www.flickr.com/people/nighstar/), on Flickr

there's nothing particularly special about the photo i sent.... i had a really hard time deciding on a photo and ended up choosing the one i did because i really like it and felt it was unique. the photo was taken at the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens, one of my favorite places to stroll, using a recently acquired Ricoh 500G (http://a.yfrog.com/img532/2026/yoays.jpg). in fact, the photo is from my first roll with the camera and it was also my first time doing redscale. i used Kodak UltraMAX 400 exposed at ISO25. the film was developed and scanned by the lab and is mostly unedited. as for the subject itself, i'm not sure what kind of tree it is. the garden had a million kinds of both native and foreign trees, among other things.... but there are a few trees native to Australia (Jacarandas & Poincianas-- thanks ricnak!) that have such crazy branches.

about the printing of the card itself, i used moo.com which i'm largely happy with, although the colors/tones on the finished cards turned out different from what appears on my monitor.... perhaps my monitor is at fault, but i really hope not! do the colors of the above photo match the colors of the postcard that you all received....?? anyone?

lastly, a big BIG thanks to the organizer of this project, Rob, for his great idea and hard work! i really enjoyed this project and am really grateful for having been a part of it. :)

rover
02-09-2012, 06:10
the colors/tones on the finished cards turned out different from what appears on my monitor.... perhaps my monitor is at fault

Question, did you click the option to have moo adjust the image to best print the final result? I forget what they call it, what the option actually says? My image reproduced pretty much as it shows on my monitor and I did click yes for this option. I wonder if that is a difference?

brainwood
02-09-2012, 07:42
Here's my postcard

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/8050/end-of-the-path.jpg

'End of the Towpath' its part of series called 'Along the Towpath'.

Shot on a Rollei 35 40/3.5 on Agfa APX100 ( sold as Rollei Retro 100) and processed in Rodinal 50:1.

The card is printed by Moo and is my first attempt at a postcard, I stupidly didn't pay enough attention to the Histogram and as Moo print the file with no correction the result was abit disappointing as it lacked the umph of the original. This is how it should have looked. At least i know for next time to make sure my max highlight value is set 255.

This is a great project my card count is upto 34 including 2 from Ben (Semordilap)!!! thanks Ben.

ampguy
02-09-2012, 08:06
Wow, very interesting background info. on these images, and very interesting to see the differences between online and print.

I took my image on the Stanford campus last Dec. 28, 2011. During the holidays, the campus is pretty empty, parking is free, and the bookstore and a few other shops are still open.

I had Portra 800 about halfway done from the previous night shooting indoors. I used a Canon 28/2.8 lens on a Bessa R, so I was able to shoot in some relatively dim places at handheld speeds. I can't remember if this was taken at 5.6 or 8. I also took a vertical one. I think the one I used for the postcard was made b/w and may have been contrast enhanced with Picasa's "feeling lucky" but I think the one below is the image untouched other than b/w:

http://matsumura.smugmug.com/photos/i-CB9dWhJ/0/L/i-CB9dWhJ-L.jpg

I was hesitant about the project when Rob first started the thread, mainly due to what I thought would be the costs. I didn't have any ultimate postcard image ready to send out, and briefly looked at postcard costs and postage costs and thought that if the list got up well over 50 and there were a lot of international cards, this could become a pricey project.

Well I went the other direction, I printed matte 4x6 prints at Costco, not sure if they would make it through the mail, and if they didn't my backup was to use one of the thick card services. I am sure that many were abhorred to receive my 13 cent print with hand drawn lines, taped address, and under some stamps a squiggly for "stamp" ;) but I was partly expecting them to come back as too thin or not meeting postal regulations, and if they were received, I began wondering what folks would think once they mounted them in an album of sorts.

I personally like the thick card stock to hold, turn over and handle, but ultimately mine will go in an album where the thickness will probably be secondary to the image quality, but we'll see.

Great project Rob, I really enjoyed getting the cards, and seeing others' work in a tangible format.

Other images from that shooting day are here (http://matsumura.smugmug.com/Photography/Stanford-Dec-28-2011-P800/21398125_4dzTJM)

angled shot of several on a table:

http://matsumura.smugmug.com/photos/i-grNrPcv/0/L/i-grNrPcv-L.jpg

krötenblender
02-09-2012, 10:37
http://matsumura.smugmug.com/photos/i-grNrPcv/0/L/i-grNrPcv-L.jpg

Uhm, why is that image flipped right-to-left? :confused:

My postcard comes at weekend. I'm sick right now, but I have already seen it, on one of the postcard-stack posted. Made me smile.

ampguy
02-09-2012, 10:44
I think I've got it fixed. I took that photo with a computer aimed down at them, which mirrored them, but I think I've got it flipped right now.

Uhm, why is that image flipped right-to-left? :confused:

My postcard comes at weekend. I'm sick right now, but I have already seen it, on one of the postcard-stack posted. Made me smile.

crawdiddy
02-09-2012, 10:50
I am envious of those who participated in this project. I can't wait for the next one, so I can get in on it.

jesse1dog
02-09-2012, 12:30
Not sure how this will compare with the 'postcard' I sent.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6848022431_a5c4655dfa_z.jpg

This is the motion of a steam locomotive no.46512 on the Strathspey Preservation Railway up in Scotland. The photograph was taken on a Panasonic FZ5 camera using a 36mm equivalent focal length, at 1/80 sec and f2.8 with camera set at ISO 80. Quite honestly I set the camera on Automatic and concentrated on 'getting the picture'. There were several more camera 'enthusiasts' around and this was the best of several photos I managed to take. The photo is straight out of the camera with no messing around using 'Satan's Snap Fixer' otherwise known as 'Photoshop'. I think it looks even better bigger: 10"x8" isn't really big enough!

I chose this photograph for the project for several reasons. It had a restricted range of colour tones, it wasn't black and white but it certainly wasn't garish in any way. I thought the subject matter would be different but not untypical of a postcard that you might buy in a transport museum. It was also a relatively recent photo taken in August 2011 whilst I was on a family holiday, and although other photos from that trip have appeared on the Gallery, this one was 'fresh'.

I was frustrated in getting the photo onto postcard because the commercial proportions of the cards on offer didn't match those of the photo. There were possibilities to enlarge and then crop the picture to fit, but that lost something and I was very unhappy with the results. Making the photo into a postcard using various bought kits and home made attempts again proved very unsatisfactory. So the compromise was to print up an envelope and pop the print inside. At least I reckoned it stood a good chance of getting through the post relatively undamaged - no bar codes, no scuffs and no labels! And it could be pinned to a board or stuck in an album just the same as the others. Incidentally printing onto envelopes provided a few challenges, but that's another story.

It's been a great project. My wife has enjoyed the postcards when they have arrived and I caught her the other evening with them all spread out on her kitchen worktop. A great many people have had a lot of enjoyment and continue to do so.

Thank you Rob. Thank you RFF. Thank you for letting me be part of this community.

jesse

sojournerphoto
02-09-2012, 16:04
First of all, thank you once again to Rob for his efforts in starting and organising the project. It's been a great time and I've received 33 cards so far. A wonderful and varied collection, with the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

I decided to send 4 cards and then to include one extra one of picture with each. It seemed an inetersting idea to try htat and to make sure that everyone got something unique.

The four repeated cards were all, coincidentally, shot with my M9 and 2/35 Zeiss Biogon and I tried to choose pictures that fitted my interests at the moment.

Officially sanctioned graffiti
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/25074/U25074I1328835723.SEQ.0.jpg

This picture was taken as I collected my daughter from a tennis lesson one evening. The graffiti was supported by the school and as we passed the sun through the trees created a happy dappling across the scene. I enjoyed the thought of the school supporting its students as they carried out what would have been described as vandalism when I was a boy.

Wishing Tree
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/25074/U25074I1328835725.SEQ.0.jpg

I visited a photographic exhibition and sale at a local stately home. My girls went with me and as we walked around the gardens the trust had set up a wishing tree. The custom is that people tie brightly coloured strips of cloth to the tree - effectively an offering I think. Although this is a modern use of the old traditon, the trees were cheerful to see and fun to chase around!

Coldstone Quarry, Greenhow
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/25074/U25074I1328835728.SEQ.0.jpg

We visited a public artwork - The Coldstone Cut - one cold evening and whilst there saw the sun set across the quiet quarry. This likely fits with a series that I have been working on for a while entitled Stark. The theme is simply that there are a lot of very lovely, but very stark, landscapes that do not really rank as impressive or photogenic, but that I have been pulling together as a set. The key theme is one of emptiness.

Petrol Station, Harrogate
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/25074/U25074I1328835731.SEQ.0.jpg

Filling up with petrol I was struck by the moon hovering above the petrol pump and the colour contrasts before me. The picture is both a homage to themes explored by earlier and better photographers than I (Robert Frank, Walker Evans) and reflects a modern contradiciton in that we enjoy the bebefits of oil, whilst decrying the companies that mine it. Similarly, the image of of something that would typically be viewed as unattractive, yet I find it quite compelling. Arty I admit, but jst thoughts as I took it and then later dwelled on the photo.

An excellent project Rob and all. Many thanks to everyone for participating.

Mike

nighstar
02-09-2012, 16:31
Question, did you click the option to have moo adjust the image to best print the final result? I forget what they call it, what the option actually says? My image reproduced pretty much as it shows on my monitor and I did click yes for this option. I wonder if that is a difference?

actually, i don't even remember seeing such an option... :confused: so i guess i didn't. :( boo. i will have to be more careful next time.

ampguy
02-09-2012, 18:03
Just for kicks I put your printed image next to the screen of my macbook air and sized them equally. The online version is much "brighter" as if fill light were used while the print is flatter and may have a greenish cast. All speculation though, the macbook is not calibrated, but I used went from dim to full bright and I'm sure my specific ambient light is unique.

That's one very sharp lens @ f2.8 on your Lumix!

Not sure how this will compare with the 'postcard' I sent.

This is the motion of a steam locomotive no.46512 on the Strathspey Preservation Railway up in Scotland. The photograph was taken on a Panasonic FZ5 camera using a 36mm equivalent focal length, at 1/80 sec and f2.8 with camera set at ISO 80. Quite honestly I set the camera on Automatic and concentrated on 'getting the picture'. There were several more camera 'enthusiasts' around and this was the best of several photos I managed to take. The photo is straight out of the camera with no messing around using 'Satan's Snap Fixer' otherwise known as 'Photoshop'. I think it looks even better bigger: 10"x8" isn't really big enough!

I chose this photograph for the project for several reasons. It had a restricted range of colour tones, it wasn't black and white but it certainly wasn't garish in any way. I thought the subject matter would be different but not untypical of a postcard that you might buy in a transport museum. It was also a relatively recent photo taken in August 2011 whilst I was on a family holiday, and although other photos from that trip have appeared on the Gallery, this one was 'fresh'.

I was frustrated in getting the photo onto postcard because the commercial proportions of the cards on offer didn't match those of the photo. There were possibilities to enlarge and then crop the picture to fit, but that lost something and I was very unhappy with the results. Making the photo into a postcard using various bought kits and home made attempts again proved very unsatisfactory. So the compromise was to print up an envelope and pop the print inside. At least I reckoned it stood a good chance of getting through the post relatively undamaged - no bar codes, no scuffs and no labels! And it could be pinned to a board or stuck in an album just the same as the others. Incidentally printing onto envelopes provided a few challenges, but that's another story.

It's been a great project. My wife has enjoyed the postcards when they have arrived and I caught her the other evening with them all spread out on her kitchen worktop. A great many people have had a lot of enjoyment and continue to do so.

Thank you Rob. Thank you RFF. Thank you for letting me be part of this community.

jesse

ricnak
02-10-2012, 16:00
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6854086471_7fe65d11ae_b.jpg

I took my pic at a place called Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast just before Xmas 2011. Funnily enough, it rained all week except for this one day.

I used an M9 with CZ 21mm. ISO160, f/16 and 1/350sec. BW conversion using Silver Efex Pro.

Another thanks to Rob for organising the project and to all that participated. Looking forward to the next project already.

Cheers

Helen

PS. I had to bump up the brightness for printing. Now it looks too bright on the screen.

semordnilap
02-11-2012, 08:51
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3526/3949906741_c6cdd85235_z.jpg?zz=1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yemado/3949906741/)

Thanks again to Rob for organizing–this has been a lot of fun!

My image was taken back in 2009, on August 30th, at 5:43 in the evening, according to the date stamp. I took it with my M8 and 40 cron, at some middle aperture, iso 160. I was down on the Esplanade, a park along the Charles river in downtown Boston.

It took some thought before I picked this image for my postcard, but I'm happy because my thinking was to play a little with the idea of a picture postcard, and at the same time do something very much in keeping with my general style.

One thing I quite enjoyed about this whole project is the idea of the postcard (rather than the print) suffering the vagaries of the post and arriving in less than pristine perfection. No card came totally scratch or dent free, some more 'altered' than others, but none nearly destroyed, either. Yet the marks, nicks, frayed edges, and odd spots gave a nice touch of wabi-sabi to the cards. Something like Matus' beautiful contact print we would normally treat in such a careful manner–it was nice to see it survive, albeit dented and bruised, as a different object than it was at departure. And after dboxer shows his image, I would like to show a picture of his as I received it–the rub marks made for an interesting addition.

So thanks again to everyone for participating, sending along such thoughtful cards and great images. I look forward to the next one!!!

Matus
02-11-2012, 09:32
Here is my little bit:

Scan from a contact print (I cropped away the wide white part at the bottom)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6857667421_706f5ed439_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6857667421/in/photostream)

you can see a crop from 600 spi scan HERE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6857666481/in/photostream)

Is is a photo I took during "Bensberg Schloss Classics 2011" car show (really a cool event). Taken with 4x5 Tachihara, Fujinon A 240/9 @ f/11 on fp4+ developed in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 for about 10 minutes - inversion agitation every minute in a Jobo Drum (the one that takes 6 sheets).

Printed in a bathroom, but you have read that story already here :)

Actually - this is the very last scan I have made with my Microtek F1 - I have just sold it (only semi functional).

PS - I have received another 4 cards and so I should be at around 32. Some great stuff.