PDA

View Full Version : The "How Many Rolls" poll

Todd.Hanz
08-22-2004, 20:31
Just curious, how many rolls of film do you use per month? Color or B/W doesn't matter, I thought it would be interesting to see the #'s we (RFF) consume. Please be honest and use the "poll thingy" up top.

Todd

Rich Silfver
08-22-2004, 20:36
Just to clarify - "20 or less" means "Between 10 and 20" right?

Doesn't really matter to me personally as I'm a 1-2 rolls a month kinda guy right now :)

Todd.Hanz
08-22-2004, 20:42
Yes, obviously I am not a very good polster!

Rich Silfver
08-22-2004, 20:45
I think I am just unusually slow :)

Kris
08-22-2004, 23:42
I'm quite a film waster. On average 2 rolls a week. In some weeks may go up to 10 and in some other weeks only 2 frames.

RML
08-23-2004, 00:36
In general I shoot about a roll per day. That includes holidays and trips abroad when I can shoot hald a dozen per day. So, over 20 per month for me.

Ya'all should feel so lucky that I'm not posting all those shots here on RFF. It could turn ungly, like having to sit through several hours of photos or slides from your not-so-favourite overweight aunt's sunny beach holiday in her teeny string bikini. :)

GeneW
08-23-2004, 03:25
I certainly don't burn up film these days. For one thing I shoot about 80% digital with an SLR (mainly nature photography) and that cuts down film consumption. A couple rolls a week is about my average.

Gene

Stu :)
08-23-2004, 04:24
Is this just 35mm RF? Or do I get to count my Hasselblad and LF monsters as well? If yes, what does sheet film count as?

Stu :)
Confusing the planet since 1976.

24x30
08-23-2004, 04:50
I just gave the number of the films burnt with my ambi silette (5 to 10). The other stuff (medium format slr) is just used during trips.

rudi

Marc Jutras
08-23-2004, 05:06
I shoot so much during the week with DSLRs on the job that I'm unfortunately too tired to go out and do some real photography when I'm off. That sucks big time and I'm considering finding a new job.

So if I can shoot more than a roll per month right now, I'm happy. At least, I get the superb quality of film and CV optics. That's a reflief from the digital crap I have to deal with at the office.

SolaresLarrave
08-23-2004, 06:11
I shoot about 1 roll per week (after a long period of time of shooting about 2 or 3). That seems to place me in the 5 or less category.

There was a time when I was shooting almost three times that much. My cameras were never empty, and my film developing bills were a bit outrageous...

And then, I discovered slide film. And my university lab! They charge $5 for doing a 36-exposure roll, and $4.50 for a 24, same day developing, plus scanning and printing (before I got my own). Great posters too!

One drawback: lab subject to state budget cuts. So far, none, but it's always a threat we have to live with.

Sorry I went OT! :(

rover
08-23-2004, 06:33
On average, 5 or less. I have my spurts though, like over the last month or so, but things will slow down again.

pvdhaar
08-23-2004, 09:26
Until about five years ago, I could shoot up to a roll a day, but
currently I shoot a little over one roll per week on 35mm and about one per two weeks on rollfilm. Medium format has made me a more deliberate shooter. I now often look through the viewfinder and think ''nah, that's not great'', and then move on.

digitalox
08-23-2004, 09:49
Its hard for me to shoot much during the week with work and all, but I'm usually shooting a roll or two of B&W on the weekend and developing it, so 10 or less for me.

plexi
08-23-2004, 14:16
3-5 rolls a week, only B&W, develop myself, that keeps the cost reasonable and the real B&W films just look great!

Doug
08-23-2004, 18:27
I simply added up the number of rolls I've shot in the past year: 65, and dividing by 12 gives a little over 5/month on average. I souped only six of those myself, all on one day a few weeks ago.

yaadetgar
11-03-2007, 10:47
Well...I got 'waves'.
These days I do maybe 1 per week, but there are times I do 1 per day...
and sometimes more...

Yaad Etgar

phatnev
11-03-2007, 14:44
This shows whats wrong with us, we just dont shoot enough

sepiareverb
11-08-2007, 12:27
12 thus far this month. (the 8th today)

otaku
11-10-2007, 08:53
just started to shoot film but its looking like I'll shoot 5 or so tops. SO far I'm on roll three

Roger Hicks
11-10-2007, 10:32
In the last two weeks, shared with my wife Frances Schultz, 32 rolls 35mm + 22 rolls 120. In an empty 2 weeks .... None!

Cheers,

R.

sepiareverb
11-10-2007, 11:07
just started to shoot film but its looking like I'll shoot 5 or so tops. SO far I'm on roll three

Good for you! Tell your friends! Film ain't dead- film is forever.

Avotius
11-13-2007, 05:06
Surprise, I use enough film a month to buy a dslr every 6 months, thats why I did.

Roger Hicks
11-13-2007, 06:07
Surprise, I use enough film a month to buy a dslr every 6 months, thats why I did.
Yeah, an interesting one that. In the same 2 weeks as Frances and I shot all that film, I also shot about 450 pics with the M8 -- the equivalent of (say) 15 rolls of slide film. Even at a fiver a roll (cheap film, home processed) that's 75 quid or $160. Now allow for the fact that I'm more profligate with digi than with film: I reckon that the M8 saves maybe $1000 a year in slides, so it pays for itself in 5 years tops -- maybe a lot less.

But it's not just money. When it's hack-work, the savings in time are even more important. I reckon that the Nikon D70 (my usual camera for pack shots and 'how to' shots for magazines and the web) pays for itself every year or less.

Cheers,

Roger

Avotius
11-13-2007, 06:33
Yeah, an interesting one that. In the same 2 weeks as Frances and I shot all that film, I also shot about 450 pics with the M8 -- the equivalent of (say) 15 rolls of slide film. Even at a fiver a roll (cheap film, home processed) that's 75 quid or $160. Now allow for the fact that I'm more profligate with digi than with film: I reckon that the M8 saves maybe $1000 a year in slides, so it pays for itself in 5 years tops -- maybe a lot less.

But it's not just money. When it's hack-work, the savings in time are even more important. I reckon that the Nikon D70 (my usual camera for pack shots and 'how to' shots for magazines and the web) pays for itself every year or less.

Cheers,

Roger

Indeed, there is something to be said about the ease of digital in our fast paced world. That said I still love film, dont get me wrong, but time is pretty important to me as well and its difficult for me to spend 6 hours developing bw negs then 3-4 hours scanning them, then a few hours looking at them then many many hours editing. Either way I spend many many hours editing and looking, but I really do not miss the scanning part of the processes. My 20D has paid for itself many times over (and I bought it when they were 1500 bucks) and I never regretted buying one, man I love film though....pity the last place in town that sold pro films (ilford, slide, 120, the sort) just closed. Now I have to order my film....online....and who knows how many scanners it will go through here in china before it gets to me. But every trip I go out on I still take my trusty film camera, so there is something in that if you ask me. Hurrah for (agfa, fuji, ilford) film.

By the way, I figured that a M8 would pay for itself in a little over two years, and a 5D in a little more then 1. I need a life...

Roger Hicks
11-13-2007, 12:02
Indeed, there is something to be said about the ease of digital in our fast paced world. That said I still love film, dont get me wrong, but time is pretty important to me as well and its difficult for me to spend 6 hours developing bw negs then 3-4 hours scanning them, then a few hours looking at them then many many hours editing. Either way I spend many many hours editing and looking, but I really do not miss the scanning part of the processes. My 20D has paid for itself many times over (and I bought it when they were 1500 bucks) and I never regretted buying one, man I love film though....pity the last place in town that sold pro films (ilford, slide, 120, the sort) just closed. Now I have to order my film....online....and who knows how many scanners it will go through here in china before it gets to me. But every trip I go out on I still take my trusty film camera, so there is something in that if you ask me. Hurrah for (agfa, fuji, ilford) film.

By the way, I figured that a M8 would pay for itself in a little over two years, and a 5D in a little more then 1. I need a life...

I'm sure your cost/benefit calculations are a lot more realistic for a full-time professional than mine. But because I'm a writer/photographer, and semi-retired at that, my film usage/image exposure pattern is much closer to that of a (very) enthusiastic amateur than to that of someone like yourself.

But like you, I love film (well, let's be accurate, I love black and white -- though I still shoot slide and neg alongside digi). Then again, I'm reminded of an alleged remark by George Bernard Shaw, when Henry Ford was waxing lyrical about the rewards of the artist's life: "Well, Mr. Ford, there is the difference between us. You think only of Art, and I think only of money."

Incidentally, DON'T get a life as well. You can't fit a career in around it. Today: decide to mix up D76 and clean up studio prior to exhaustive resolution and development tests on TMY2 for magazines and web site (pretty pics already shot on 2 weeks in Spain).

Clear path to mixing bench (in the stables). No borax, go to chemists', buy borax. Clean up balance. Find 2 litre jug for mixing D76.

Start on cleaning up studio. Make & fit new blackout for south-facing window. Partially rearrange studio. Put copy stand on rolling bench. Partially rewire studio. Remount lens testing charts. Find that bulb in one Redhead is blown; try to find bulb box.

Tomorrow: may be able to start work...

Cheers,

R.

jan normandale
01-21-2008, 22:35
I shoot several hundred rolls a year. I'm actually looking into developing my own colour.... costs less than a digital camera.. ; D

Processing, scanning.. yeah it's drudge work but I just prefer film.

Steve Williams
01-22-2008, 03:30
After graduate school my personal photographic output declined dramatically as I pursued my professional work. A friend and I made a pact before this past November that we would shoot at least two rolls of black and white film every week, process, make contact sheets, and at least four silver prints (fiber) as well. Just so we didn't weasel out of the commitment we would meet every Saturday or Sunday morning at a cafe to share the results of our labors.

So far we have both held to the agreement. I am shooting mostly with the M6, an occassional roll with the Hasselblad or Mamiya 7. It is a struggle and I have found myself in the darkroom at 1 AM the night before our meeting more than once.

I continue to struggle to find a focus for my personal work and it would be easy to stop shooting and wait for inspiration or ideas. I know for myself that seldom does either arrive. Through the forced and arbitrary two roll a week shooting I do find energy and inspiration. No idea where it's heading but I keep buying and using up film and paper!

GeneW
01-22-2008, 04:54
Steve, it's tough to keep to a commitment like that. I'm impressed. One piece of advice they give to writers is simply 'write every day, whether you feel like it or not'. The idea being to keep active, keep the skills honed, and let inspiration find its way to you through your steady work.

Gene

venchka
01-22-2008, 05:01
No mention of # of sheets of film. :cool:

I converted 4x5 sheets to rolls. I still don't use nearly enough film.

Steve Williams
01-22-2008, 05:41
Steve, it's tough to keep to a commitment like that. I'm impressed. One piece of advice they give to writers is simply 'write every day, whether you feel like it or not'. The idea being to keep active, keep the skills honed, and let inspiration find its way to you through your steady work.

Gene

Gene, I'm hoping it becomes easier and habitual over time. I suffer from an overabundance of inertia which probably accounts for why the trim is still not up in our bedroom after 12 years.

In graduate school there were external motivations to keep me working. Professionally the same is true. But there are none for personal work and I don't want to lose my personal interest in photography. The childish wonder and excitement that I still get when I wander on my own remains intoxicating though hard won.

What continues to amaze me is how great it feels to finish shooting or printing but how difficult it is to begin. Drag me to the darkroom but then you have to drag me away. It makes no sense to a rational person.

More chocolate is probably the answer to most of my problems...

jan normandale
01-22-2008, 08:44
OT - Steve, I left a note on your blog. I often go to central PA for stream fishing. There's another RFF member who lives in Galeton, Brad Birley. He may be nearby.

MikeCassidy
01-22-2008, 08:53
I messed up and voted 10 and less - thought we were doing week not month. I shot 20+ over a month.

nico
01-22-2008, 10:21
I voted 5, I counted and organized the contact prints last sunday ... 50 b/w rolls during 2007 (plus some othes colour roll).
I should shoot more....

rogue_designer
01-22-2008, 12:19
Generally speaking, for my personal shooting - I'm in the 10-20 camp (tho that falls closer to 8-10 during the winter) and peaks higher in the summer and fall.

For a location architecture shoot - I can do 20+ rolls in a day (120) though. But we're not counting pro work, I assume. (Granted, it's been a while since I did a full location shoot too).

OurManInTangier
01-22-2008, 13:01
I shoot so much during the week with DSLRs on the job that I'm unfortunately too tired to go out and do some real photography when I'm off. That sucks big time and I'm considering finding a new job.

So if I can shoot more than a roll per month right now, I'm happy. At least, I get the superb quality of film and CV optics. That's a reflief from the digital crap I have to deal with at the office.

I'm in complete agreement. Except for the new job part...I'm far too dim to do anything else that pays me as much:)

It does irk me slightly that I shoot all day and often simply don't want to wander around with another, albeit lighter, camera. As such I tend to carry my little Leica around with me wherever I am - though this hasn't meant that I shoot more film.

I'm a one or two a month shooter unless I'm at an event or something when I can burn through as much as I've got on me.

visiondr
01-22-2008, 13:21
Woah, I can't believe how much some of you (amateurs) shoot!
If you can manage to find compelling subjects that readily, then I'm impressed (unless you burn a whole roll or more on a single subject). Whatever floats your boat.

sfb_dot_com
01-22-2008, 14:30
I'm not quite sure on this one, but I do know I have films secreted around the place like a squirrel buries nuts. There's some ERA 100 in my work bag, a roll of colour print in my coat pocket, assorted stuff in my camera bag(s) and so on...

Like many others here, I suspect I'm a bit chaotic buying stuff in odd quantities here and there. For example I saw some Kodachrome in my local Boots and had to buy a roll. I then try and get the B&W films that I've shot, developed, but in no particular order. I also tend to be a bit of a magpie when it comes to films and developers. I know I should probably stick to ID11, or Rodinal, or D76, or DDX, delta 400. TriX, HP5, FP4, Panf etc etc. Tried them all and they all have good points. Fave at the moment is Neopan 400 tho'

That's the beauty of it really, just so much to do. :)

Andy

NIKON KIU
01-25-2008, 11:29
Wow,
I just voted on a Poll that was started three and half years ago!
Slipped by me!! Untill today.

I gotta admit, I voted in the first category. But, last month I recorded 300 images on a 1GB card...does that count?

Kiu

bigdog
02-22-2008, 20:31
I probably could shoot a larger format at the rate I shoot film. A roll could easily last me an afternoon of shooting...if I fire away, I may expose two rolls.

I was looking at a few of my favorite images from Salgado's book (Workers) of men trying to cap oil wells in Kuwait during Desert Storm. I recall reading that Salgado exposed about 7,000 frames or approximately 194 rolls of film from his visit and if I recall correctly, there are maybe a dozen images of the 7,000 after editing included in the book...hmm, maybe I should shoot more frames....I wonder what the other 6 thousand plus images look like!

craygc
02-22-2008, 21:03
Im down to doing about 50 rolls (36's) a year in 135 and 10~20 in 6x7. It just depends on where I managed to travel to. I also find myself becoming more discerning on what and how I shoot lately - having lived and photographed life across Asia for the last 10 years, Im amazed as I look back over the photos just how similar Asia is at the end of the day. But the shooting is never consistent on a monthly basis. It can easily be nothing for a couple of months then 20 in 2 weeks.

Damaso
03-02-2008, 08:05
I'm shooting more than ever, more than 20 rolls a month so far this year....though I expect it to slow down a bit...

jbf
03-02-2008, 08:49
Gene, I'm hoping it becomes easier and habitual over time. I suffer from an overabundance of inertia which probably accounts for why the trim is still not up in our bedroom after 12 years.

In graduate school there were external motivations to keep me working. Professionally the same is true. But there are none for personal work and I don't want to lose my personal interest in photography. The childish wonder and excitement that I still get when I wander on my own remains intoxicating though hard won.

What continues to amaze me is how great it feels to finish shooting or printing but how difficult it is to begin. Drag me to the darkroom but then you have to drag me away. It makes no sense to a rational person.

More chocolate is probably the answer to most of my problems...

The funny thing is that this is how it is for me with Visual Effects. I have no intertia to do it on my own really. For work, sure, but I wont dare touch a computer or open a cg aplication unless i absolutely have to. Whereas once i start, i have to be dragged away.

However when it coes to film and shooting, its completely different.

I cant wait to get out to shoot. I cant wait to develop, i cant wait to scan and print. Yeah. You briefly mention the dark room, and i'm in it before you can finish your sentence, and you'll have to drag me away.

Muller
03-09-2008, 10:02
Between my 120mm and 35mm formats I'm doing around 4-7 rolls a month, depending on how active I am.

robert blu
04-30-2008, 09:35
Actually I'm on a pause and inspite I recently bought an "important" camera I try to shott less as possible because I have too much not edited material, So I decided to work on editing, printing and preparing my web site this year and shoot only on special projects.
As average including rolleiflex, polaroids, and SRL I would say between 5 and 10.
robert blu

raid
04-30-2008, 16:37
I am a film consumer but not a film waster [hopefully!].
Two rolls each weekend is a lower bound for me.

amateriat
04-30-2008, 18:59
Robert: I grok that quite well. I went off shooting for the better part of two years some time ago for that very reason (and went so far as to sell off all my gear to make it stick). But at a certain point (not a point, I might add, where I thought I was adequately organized), I was too full of ideas in my head to keep away from photographing.

Quantity? On an "off" month, I may run through as few as three rolls. When I'm truly cracking (usually on a personal project), I can hit as high as 40 rolls, hence my "20 or less" entry. Now that nearly all my 35mm shootin' iron is in working shape, the "average" will be going up somewhat; I'm taking the Konica Auto S3 around with me a good deal since having it serviced, and I've had a bit more cash to spare for keeping the film cubboard better-stocked.

- Barrett

robert blu
05-01-2008, 09:40
Barret: yes, I think there is nothing as decide not to take photo for a tima to get many new ideas and fine many photo opportunities. (in spite of my decision I shot 4 rolls in the last two weeks !)
ciao, rob

marke
11-03-2008, 17:21
I voted 10 or less (between 5 and 10/month). Although that's probably going to go up in a month or so as I get my new darkroom up and running! :D

P. Lynn Miller
11-03-2008, 18:13
I run hot and cold, I will shoot 3 or 4 rolls over one month and then get an idea or inspiration and burn through 15 rolls in a week.

I find the scanning and editing just intolerable at the moment, I am about 50 rolls behind. I really must get my darkroom set-up so I can just contact sheet and file. Or else buy one of those 'big' scanners, like the Epson V700, where can scan a contact sheet.

I tried digital and really dislike it, so I am still a serious film user. Maybe a full-frame M9 will get me to look seriously at digital...

So I voted 20 plus...

-doomed-
11-04-2008, 15:42
Since i dont develop my own at the moment , i have cut back since my job has cut my hours down , i dont get to develop the rolls as fast so i try to shoot when i know ill have some extra cash at the end of the week to develop my stuff

MarkoKovacevic
11-05-2008, 03:24
I shot 15 rolls last month at a wedding, but for normal photography its less than 10 a month.