PDA

View Full Version : If you want to insult me...

Roger Hicks
08-01-2011, 07:59
... please have the courage to do so on open forum, or at least, in a private message. Sending hate mail to my web-master suggests that you've been banned from RFF and that if anyone saw what you wrote, you'd be banned again. Does this tell you anything?

(As you might guess, I've just had another piece of hate mail from some cowardly little toad.)

Cheers,

R.

reagan
08-01-2011, 08:22
I've appreciated your input here for sometime now. Thanx Rog. Hang in there and don't let the little toads get ya down. http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Vics
08-01-2011, 08:25
Maybe he'll turn into a Prince? ...or maybe not...
Stay strong, Roger!

igy
08-01-2011, 08:26
a hate mail is a compliment from someone who is to stupid to express himself/herself
don't let them get you down

LKeithR
08-01-2011, 08:29
Sadly, most internet forums have their trolls and sh*t disturbers. Best way to deal with them is to ignore them. No audience=no troll. You're a serious contributor to RFF and that is something no one can take away from you...

pachuco
08-01-2011, 08:32
That is too bad and indeed cowardly. Still, it begs the question as to why so many people feel the need to insult you? Good luck in getting this issue resolved, I would not like to be insulted either. Keep your chin up, sir!

rlouzan
08-01-2011, 08:37
Hi Roger,

Just one bad apple! Hang in there.

Regards,
Robert

axiom
08-01-2011, 08:42
Just ignore it.
A coward does not deserve your response/reaction.

Chris101
08-01-2011, 08:45
A Chinese friend says that any nails that stick up get hammered flat.

You are somewhat of a celebrity here, and you have opinions that you express freely. The 'hater' that wrote you probably felt that their opinion stated in public would not carry the weight of yours, so they insulted you privately.

Not much of a flat-hammering, because their insult is known to nobody but you. And you can choose to disregard it.

tlitody
08-01-2011, 08:46
should be simple to narrow it down from the IP. That will tell you the country and ISP. Then you can contact the ISP with a complaint. Also email the full details including mail headers to forum modertors as they may be able to tie IP number to user ID here as all IPs are stored with registrations here.

OurManInTangier
08-01-2011, 08:46
The internet seems all too often to breed casual contempt and hatred, or at least afford the anonymity that such a person requires to behave in a cowardly manner.

Your contribution to this site and community is unquestionable. The opinions we hold, experiences we share and knowledge that we both at times ask for and offer are in the main respected, appreciated and taken in the same spirit with which they are given. You seem to me a wise enough man by far to not let this sad experience trouble you for longer than the natural period of initial anger and disappointment that follows such a dismal correspondence.

P.S. Good on you for making a public yet tempered response. They say 'class' shows, it does; for bad and for good.

Gabriel M.A.
08-01-2011, 08:52
Ignore it. I know it's hard to at first, but once you realize how cowardly all their actions are, then you realize that they're the kind that is best ignored and don't deserve your energy. I have a few pet stalkers me-self.

Mackinaw
08-01-2011, 08:52
Hey Roger, don't let the idiots get you down. People just want to argue with you (and insult you) because you're a published writer, and a successful one too.

Personally, I'm slowly but surely losing interest in all internet forums. There's just too many people on these forums who persist in arguing about everything. And woe to you if you happen to criticize a certain brand of camera or lens that they like! You'll never hear the end of it!

Jim B.

Kent
08-01-2011, 08:58
Such a bad style must be ignored! Keep it up, Roger!

ashfaque
08-01-2011, 09:05
Hello Roger,

Most likely his got too free much time and has nothing better to do other than being a jealous and hateful. If possible, please ignore. If you can't make a parody about the content and him and send it him/her. :D

tlitody
08-01-2011, 09:06
use the following website and put the originating IP number in (you'll find it in the mail headers). It will give you the originating ISP and if the person is a complete idiot, their indentity too but probably just the ISP who will be able to identify the person providing you can forward the full email to them.

http://cqcounter.com/whois/

shadowfox
08-01-2011, 09:14
Hate mail? Wow.

If anything I'd like to shake Roger's hand and thank him for all the things I learned from his books and articles. As well as discussions here in RFF.

Don't mind those, Roger.

anu L ogy
08-01-2011, 09:15
I've always liked this story - I'm also not religious:

Buddha was walking into the city market one day and near the city entrance an old bitter man was sitting on a box glaring at Buddha, who carried a bright smile on his face. At the sight of him this old man started cursing Buddha up and down, left right and center, telling him how pretentious he was, how much better he thought he was and how he did nothing worthy of the air he breathed in this world. But Buddha simply smiled and kept on walking to the market to get what he needed.

The Next day Buddha returned to the market and once again that old man was there, this time his cursing intensified, screaming and yelling at Buddha as he walked by, cursing his mother, cursing his father and everyone else in his life.

This went on for the rest of the week and finally as the Buddha was leaving the market the man came up to him, as his curiousity had simply gotten the best of him.
“Buddha, every day you come here smiling and every day I curse your name, I curse your family and everything you believe in” the old man says ” but every day you enter this city with a smile knowing that I await you with my harsh tongue, and everyday you leave through the same entrance with that same smile. I know by speaking to you now that you are not deaf, why do you keep on smiling while I do nothing but scream the worst things I can think of to your face?”

Buddha, with the same smile still on his face looks at the old man and asks “If I were to bring you a gift tomorrow morning all wrapped up in a beautiful box would you accept it?” to which the old man replies “Absolutely not, I would take nothing from the likes of you!”. “Ah ha” the Buddha replies “Well if I were to offer you this gift and you were to refuse then who would this gift belong to?”. “It would still belong to you of course” answers the old man. “And so the same goes with your anger, when I choose not to accept your gift of anger , does it not then remain your own?”

crawdiddy
08-01-2011, 09:16
Roger, I enjoy reading your comments. In a thread with copious postings, I sometimes seek out the ones I think will be more interesting to read-- like yours.

You also express yourself with candor. Not to say you're undiplomatic. But you don't equivocate.

And, as others have said, you're a high profile member, with publication credits.

Voila! All the attributes necessary to attract haters.

But you've attracted friends as well. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting, no matter what. You belong here.

Viktor Sebastian
08-01-2011, 09:22
Hate mail sounds a bit intense.

segedi
08-01-2011, 09:31
Well, Roger, since you asked for it, here goes some hate... nah, just kdiding. None of your comments have expressed anything other than YOUR opinion. Some people don't get that. I've never seen you make personal attacks, so it's a shame that you are the recipient of such. And RFF is a way better community with a lot less ego than some other forums.

Bob Michaels
08-01-2011, 09:31
(As you might guess, I've just had another piece of hate mail from some cowardly little toad.) ............................
R.

Roger: smile and be happy that he did not tell your photographs were always in focus and exposed properly, that you must have a very expensive camera.

semilog
08-01-2011, 09:35
Given that Roger and I had a somewhat heated (public) conversation yesterday, I'd like to make it clear that whatever was sent, and whomever sent it, I had nothing to do with it. As that thread records, Roger and I are both amply prepared to go after one another in public. That's one reason I like him!

gb hill
08-01-2011, 09:42
Then why even go to the trouble to start a post here if the person has been banned from RFF. For someone of your caliber of expertise in rangefinders & photography in general, you do start some silly threads sometimes. Why can't you be more like Tom A. To me he's the most respected mentor on RFF.

Thardy
08-01-2011, 09:47
Let it be as water over a duck's back.

bobby_novatron
08-01-2011, 09:48

Another +1 vote for Roger and his online contributions and to photography in general. If Roger is a bit unnerved by getting a threatening email, I don't see anything wrong with him needing a pat on the back or a show of support. I know I'd probably feel the same way.

dave lackey
08-01-2011, 09:51
... please have the courage to do so on open forum, or at least, in a private message. Sending hate mail to my web-master suggests that you've been banned from RFF and that if anyone saw what you wrote, you'd be banned again. Does this tell you anything?

(As you might guess, I've just had another piece of hate mail from some cowardly little toad.)

Cheers,

R.

As usual, Roger, I appreciate your openness about this unfortunate situation with an anonymous person. Hopefully it will be resolved.:)

raid
08-01-2011, 09:52
Such mail can be quite annoying, Roger, but I would erase it and ignore it totally.
The other approach would be to figure out from the IP .....

Roger Hicks
08-01-2011, 09:57
Given that Roger and I had a somewhat heated (public) conversation yesterday, I'd like to make it clear that whatever was sent, and whomever sent it, I had nothing to do with it. As that thread records, Roger and I are both amply prepared to go after one another in public. That's one reason I like him!

Absolutely! As long as it remains civil, I'll either keep on arguing or (if I see no point at all) give up. I did not mean for a moment to implicate you, or anyone else with whom I have had heated but honest conversations.

And thanks to everyone else who has expressed support. He's probably more trouble than he's worth to go after (though thanks, Tlitody, for the advice on how to do so). Hate mail? Well, I guess it depends on how you define it, but a letter packed with insults and threats comes too close to hate mail for my taste.

Cheers,

R.

johannielscom
08-01-2011, 10:02
Dear Roger,

must have been mail from the loony bin!

I hope that shrugging your shoulders will get rid of it!?

Charlie Lemay
08-01-2011, 10:05
Hi Roger,

I've heard it said that unless your pissing some people off, you can't be doing it right.

Remember the tirade I told you about from Mdm Ollier in Arles in 2008. I was angry at first, but that soon turned into the realization that to get her so riled up, there must be something powerful in what I doing, to have touched such a nerve and gotten such a big reaction.

Think of it as a kind of validation, that you are making a difference and you are making others uncomfortable in their assumptions.

Roger Hicks
08-01-2011, 10:09
Then why even go to the trouble to start a post here if the person has been banned from RFF. For someone of your caliber of expertise in rangefinders & photography in general, you do start some silly threads sometimes. Why can't you be more like Tom A. To me he's the most respected mentor on RFF.

Because there are some people who keep rejoining under different names: at least, so the mods tell me.

Why am I not more like Tom? Because we're different people, with different background, knowledge and experience. If you find some of my threads silly, ignore 'em. Others seem to enjoy 'em.

After all, what is a 'silly' thread? If it's totally silly and pointless (as I find quite a lot of threads to be), there's no need to respond to it (so I don't), and if I disagree, well, either it's made me think, which is seldom a bad thing, or (if I then chime in) it may help others to clarify their own thoughts.

Cheers,

R.

charjohncarter
08-01-2011, 10:14

Another +1 vote for Roger and his online contributions and to photography in general. If Roger is a bit unnerved by getting a threatening email, I don't see anything wrong with him needing a pat on the back or a show of support. I know I'd probably feel the same way.

I'll pat him on the back and show support. His latest article in 'Shutterbug' is great, get a copy, read the article. Everyone will then see how lucky we are to have his expertise at our personal disposal.

Thanks Roger,

Carter

Roger Hicks
08-01-2011, 10:15
Perhaps I should add that one of the main reasons for starting this thread was to alert others that there are those who keep rejoining, just to cause mischief. Also, I sincerely hope that the person who sent the hate mail has read this far: I can't imagine a sweeter rejoinder than many of the kind comments here. Of course insults and threats hurt, but not for long any more: I get enough of this sort of rubbish that I'm (almost) used to it.

emraphoto
08-01-2011, 10:16
we shall all have egg on our face if one/all are not allowed to be 'silly' at times. pretty sure i am in a 'silly' defecit here.

bugger em Roger.

huntjump
08-01-2011, 10:24
I enjoy your vast amounts of knowledge and input Roger. Anyone who hates on you is jealous and insecure, a sad person who cannot control their emotions and only sees one way to try and make themselves feel better: by putting others down.

Classic example of someone with a small intelligence, low self esteem and someone who just isn't happy in life.

If you got hate mail, id consider it a compliment :D

Cheers

Ps: to the poster who said he starts silly threads...this is an internet forum fool <--oops :) "full" of camera pros, geeks and enthusiasts. Stop taking life so serious.

markwatts
08-01-2011, 10:34
Coming from a slightly different direction, lets all be grateful that these graceless, hate-filled, frustrated people don't have the wherewithall to behave like this anywhere else but from within the anonymous safety of the interweb. Otherwise we would all be rolling around on the ground scrapping every time we went to work.

Roger, I enjoy your words here, in AP and Shutterbug...keep on keeping on.

robert blu
08-01-2011, 10:34
Ciao Roger, you have so many friends around here! Just ignore stupid people.
robert

oftheherd
08-01-2011, 10:35
I enjoy your vast amounts of knowledge and input Roger. Anyone who hates on you is jealous and insecure, a sad person who cannot control their emotions and only sees one way to try and make themselves feel better: by putting others down.

Classic example of someone with a small intelligence, low self esteem and someone who just isn't happy in life.

If you got hate mail, id consider it a compliment :D

Cheers

Ps: to the poster who said he starts silly threads...this is an internet forum fool of camera pros, geeks and enthusiasts. Stop taking life so serious.

Another vote for Mr. Hicks and his always thought provoking posts. I mostly agree with his posts (except for his vile promotion of a certain camera brand not to be named here :D :D) I never disagree with his method of expressing himself. Always candid, sometimes with sugar coating, sometimes not.

Keep it up sir!

@ huntjump - love your slip; "... forum fool of camera pros ..." Sure nails the likes of me. :p

robklurfield
08-01-2011, 10:37
Roger, if everyone liked or agreed with your opinion (or anyone else's), that would be a sure sign you're doing something wrong. So, keep doing what you do. Cretinous behavior on the part of others shouldn't slow you down.

taskoni
08-01-2011, 10:52
What a shame! Unfortunately every forum has an email tough guy. Ignore that clown.

huntjump
08-01-2011, 10:52
@ huntjump - love your slip; "... forum fool of camera pros ..." Sure nails the likes of me. :p

haha Freudian slippage :)

kram
08-01-2011, 11:33
I have always enjoyed your comments Roger, and can't see any reason for people to send you (or anyone for that matter) 'hate mail'.

nikon_sam
08-01-2011, 11:39
Sorry to hear of this...all I can say is...

Hurting people hurt people...

Try and have a better rest of your day...

Joe AC
08-01-2011, 11:49
I have always enjoyed reading Roger's posts, articles, and books. It's very sad that some idiot would go through the trouble to send hate mail. You have a lot of support here on RFF Roger. Ignore it and keep being you.

Contarama
08-01-2011, 11:49
Roger...just send whomever the rascal is a reply that says... "Did you say something to me? Dang I must be looking good today!"

This poor fellow needs his RFF fix so bad it is driving him crazy! LOL

It must really suck to estrange yourself from such a great informative and entertaining forum like this one... :)

igi
08-01-2011, 11:52
I thought the average age of users in this forum is 30+... who would've thought we have a 12 year old basement kid hate mailing Mr.Hicks!

ColSebastianMoran
08-01-2011, 12:18
Roger, you and Francis are terrific.

Being this visible, with your real names, is sure to generate this kind of stuff eventually.

Note to self: If ever get hate mail, consider it a compliment, in its own strange way.

Turtle
08-01-2011, 14:15
Rather like the Buddha story, I find peace in the knowledge that by sending such mail they are condemned to remain in a state of irrelevance and that in turn their behaviour makes this a just state of affairs. Its amusing that they are unable to do the one thing that would rescue them from this pathetic fate: stand up, argue and be counted. Instead they insist on choosing anonymity and irrelevance and wonder why they are at odds with the world and everything in it. That said, I am all for nailing them. Threats are great, because such people usually get carried away and end up saying things that have consequences.

paulfish4570
08-01-2011, 14:23
bummer, Roger. tacky, just plain tacky, i say ...

L David Tomei
08-01-2011, 14:30
Illegitimi non carborundum est.

Ciao!

David

Roger Hicks
08-01-2011, 14:33
Rather like the Buddha story, I find peace in the knowledge that by sending such mail they are condemned to remain in a state of irrelevance and that in turn their behaviour makes this a just state of affairs. Its amusing that they are unable to do the one thing that would rescue them from this pathetic fate: stand up, argue and be counted. Instead they insist on choosing anonymity and irrelevance and wonder why they are at odds with the world and everything in it. That said, I am all for nailing them. Threats are great, because such people usually get carried away and end up saying things that have consequences.

Not, in this case, very serious consequences. He's not even much good at hating or being threatening. To quote a part of the letter: A number of us are getting a petition together to have you banned. The mods will do nothing so we're going straight to Stephen with this.

My advice to you is to "retire" gracefully, if not then sparks will fly and you'll be disgraced...

Of course you can blacken anyone's name, especially if you are not too fussed about telling the truth. It's a threat, but it's a threat from a nobody. As I said, I'm not that worried, but then, I doubt John Lennon was worried about the crazy who shot him. It may seem odd to draw parallels, but once someone is living in their own world, who can tell what they may do? Petty crooks are the main reason why I have a Judas window in my front door, but it's also a consolation when dealing with people like this.

Cheers,

R.

Leigh Youdale
08-01-2011, 15:05
I'm glad you gave us an insight into the content of the message. It's so pathetic and childish. Playground behaviour. Best ignored if you can.

And, I like your quirky humour.

Tompas
08-01-2011, 15:07
(...) To quote a part of the letter: A number of us are getting a petition together to have you banned. The mods will do nothing so we're going straight to Stephen with this.

My advice to you is to "retire" gracefully, if not then sparks will fly and you'll be disgraced...

Of course you can blacken anyone's name, especially if you are not too fussed about telling the truth. It's a threat, but it's a threat from a nobody. As I said, I'm not that worried, but then, I doubt John Lennon was worried about the crazy who shot him. (...)

Roger, if I may say so, relax: if that's a hate mail to you I guess that means you haven't seen much hate in your life. Good for you.

And although it is better to be safe than sorry, you just are not John Lennon. You're Roger Hicks, and nobody's going to shoot you.

At least not with anything but a camera. :)

NickTrop
08-01-2011, 15:09
Hang in Roger. You're a credit from this forum, and I've learned much from your posts over the years.

Chriscrawfordphoto
08-01-2011, 15:09
[I]A number of us are getting a petition together to have you banned. The mods will do nothing so we're going straight to Stephen with this.

I'll sign a petition to ban the idiot who wrote this from the net forever. :p:p:p

Roger Hicks
08-01-2011, 15:31
Roger, if I may say so, relax: if that's a hate mail to you I guess that means you haven't seen much hate in your life. Good for you.

And although it is better to be safe than sorry, you just are not John Lennon. You're Roger Hicks, and nobody's going to shoot you.

At least not with anything but a camera. :)

There was more. But as I say, he's not even very good at hating: it was pretty milk-and-water stuff. I've had worse. Perhaps over-generously, I tend to lump it all together as 'hate mail'. Then again, I'd categorize some of the stuff that my aunt and mother-in-law received from political extremists in the USA as 'hate mail' too.(Professed) supporters of both parties, that is. And I've worked or the Tibetan Government in Exile, which has its enemies. Hatred is a state of mind, and I think my correspondent suffers from it.

No, I know I'm not John Lennon. Then again, he's not Mark David Chapman. As I say, once someone starts living in their own world, who can tell what they hear, think or believe? I may appear more worried by this than I am. Really, I'm not. But it's still unpleasant to be on the receiving end of such stuff.

Cheers,

R.

oftheherd
08-01-2011, 15:57
I'll sign a petition to ban the idiot who wrote this from the net forever. :p:p:p

Add my name to the list Chris.

oftheherd
08-01-2011, 16:04

Certainly on one level people like that are to be pitied. However, threats are not a nice way to act, and should always be evaluated for the possibility they can/will carried outt.

That said, normally threats are only worth whatever fear, disgust, or return hate they can generate on the recipient. Those who threaten seldom carry out their threat. Those who do it anonymously are usually afraid to be seen and confronted by the object of their hatred. Otherwise, they would debate as true men/women do. Up front.

zauhar
08-01-2011, 16:09
Add my name to the list Chris.

That's the problem - ban who? As was suggested above you need to find out what IP address was the source of the message and proceed from there. And you need the cooperation of the ISP involved.

While that message sounds like a bad chain letter, I would find that upsetting if I received it.

This is another side of the internet that I have never liked.

Randy

Rayt
08-01-2011, 16:34
Best to just ignore the weirdos!

PatrickCheung
08-01-2011, 16:45
Wow... you'd figure this stuff would only happen on forums run by youngsters like myself. It's kinda sad to realize that some people (even adults and whatnot) are just so silly that they'll go to such lengths as to sending anonymous hate mail to forum members and threaten to have them banned. It just seems a little childish to me.

But then again, it could be worse. I can't play an online video game now without witnessing a conversation between two users dissing each other about their mothers, race, and sexual orientation. I can't visit ThePhotoForum without witnessing people providing "construct criticism" that's condescending and rude.

Makes me pity the people who get so worked up about something someone said online that they'd go to such lengths to get back at people. Anyway, whatever the issue is, I feel like it'd probably be best not to become "troll food" as us teens like to call it. Best of luck, and keep posting!

gb hill
08-01-2011, 16:47
Probably has something to do with the stalker from Canada. I ignore him & haven't been to his website in months. Got tired of cleaning my computer from the spyware crap after going there. Threads like this just add fuel to these type of people. They feed off of it. Thats why I said it was nonsense to start a thread like this.

But Roger I can understand why you did it. If everything is out in the open to the forum then the culprits involved wont have a leg to stand on.

cheers,:)

Leigh Youdale
08-01-2011, 16:55
Well, here's some real hate mail for you Roger. I hate it that you haven't updated "Short Schrift" since May. I check it every week because I like what you write and you've let me down badly, old chum. (Retires, grumbling).

Pfreddee
08-01-2011, 17:04
I'm sorry to hear about the idiot, Roger. For some reason, I never imagined that anyone would go after you in this fashion. What you write about has to do with art, and how to improve one's craft. It isn't politics (at least I don't think it is...), but what do I know?

Anyway, I hope your day wasn't ruined by it, and I agree with you that who knows what the hater will do? Take care of yourself, and wish Frances all the best.

With best regards, from a fan,

Pfreddee(Stephen)

Turtle
08-01-2011, 17:12
I suspect 'we' is very much one person and the fact the mods won't do anything suggests that reason has already cast its verdict. I see no reason why Stephen would arrive at a different conclusion and that the coward is trying to bluff you into self-imposed exile. As for sparks flying and you being disgraced, they have to put themselves (and their usernames) forward for sparks to fly and any kind of public discussion, so....

I say let him/her go to Stephen. I doubt they have the guts to do so with their own usernames and if they choose to do anonymously, I cannot imagine they will get the slightest consideration. The only reason I can think of for them to go to you repeatedly demanding that you change your behaviour is simply because they know they are not on solid ground. Nobody with a strong argument and conviction would bother doing that, they'd go straight down the route of getting you banned once direct discussions failed. Why would they appeal to your better judgment for your sake.

The problem with gutless wonders like this is that they don't realise that everything they do and say will reek of their own cowardice until they stop being a coward. Funny, that....

Nobody has to agree with you and everyone has the right to disagree in the strongest terms if they wish. Your contributions here and elsewhere are unquestionably immense and I for one enjoy a good debate that challenges boundaries. Without a little discomfort now and again its hard to know if we truly live.

FrankS
08-01-2011, 17:21
Roger, I can't begin to tell you how much I was influenced by and learned from your classic camera column in Shutterbug magazine. Meeting you and Francis in person a few years ago was an honour and a treat.

sepiareverb
08-01-2011, 17:21
There are more than a few who have a childish need to control everything they are involved with. Having been entangled with one myself I can only tell you what worked for me- ignoring him and letting any memory of him float away. Count me among those who are glad to see your contributions here Roger.

ferider
08-01-2011, 17:56
Yuck. Ignore it Roger; it's not worth your time and energy.

It might not always seem like it ( :) ), but I'm happy you are around, and in particular enjoy when you share your film experience.

Roland.

fixbones
08-01-2011, 18:03
Roger,

You have always been very generous with your knowledge.
I for one appreciate your presence and continuous input!!!!!

Freakscene
08-01-2011, 18:28
I, and obviously lots of others, appreciate you being here. It's noteworthily gutless to do that sort of thing anonymously.

Marty

Melvin
08-01-2011, 18:45
Demand satisfaction, if the cur will show himself.

charjohncarter
08-01-2011, 18:47
Roger, I can't begin to tell you how much I was influenced by and learned from your classic camera column in Shutterbug magazine. Meeting you and Francis in person a few years ago was an honour and a treat.
True, true, and true; I haven't met Rodger but he has helped me sooooo much. Francis has too, and delightfully in a different way. Shutterbug is my go to publication. I really don't think you realize the number of people that never contribute to this forum (RFF) that read your incites and never let you know what you have given to their knowledge. R&F, please my best to you.

Thank you, Carter

08-01-2011, 18:55
hey i still want to meet you guys in Arles...

Paulbe
08-01-2011, 19:07
Roger--I can't understand why you are even bothering with this.
It's not like you have committed some grievous error--you are a pretty straight shooter and seem to be a good kid!! :-)
Relax and the wierdo will simply disappear into the nothingness from which he came..
Paul

pakeha
08-01-2011, 19:09
Internet forum or not, this is just part of human interaction , unfortunate and unnecessary.
Roger, people with opinions are always far more interesting than those without .
Those who feel that a vindictive response will win on points, well, they never do.
Regards
CW

Turtle
08-02-2011, 02:19
hey i still want to meet you guys in Arles...

Do, it was a super trip with great company and I am very glad I drove from N Wales to be there!

Michael Markey
08-02-2011, 02:45
Do, it was a super trip with great company and I am very glad I drove from N Wales to be there!

I`d wish I`d know .
I`d have been tempted to join you .
To see the show but also to thank Roger in person for all the sound advice that he`s shared with us over the years.
I guess its one thing to say that this sort of puerile behavior is best ignored but I`d be pretty mad too if I were him.

Roger Hicks
08-02-2011, 03:11
Roger--I can't understand why you are even bothering with this.
It's not like you have committed some grievous error--you are a pretty straight shooter and seem to be a good kid!! :-)
Relax and the wierdo will simply disappear into the nothingness from which he came..
Paul

Dear Paul,

I've been wondering myself. What was I expecting when I started this thread? Given the numerous kind messages of support, it may have looked as if I was fishing for compliments, but that wasn't it.

Really, all I'd thought of doing was confronting the twerp who sent the message. Elsewhere in the letter he refers to both the Facebook and Olympus disputes, so he's either still on the forum or has only recently left. My message was essentially, "Go on then. Try to make trouble. But do it honestly, on open forum or at least in a PM (which I can foward), so that the mods can see what sort of person you are, and decide which of us they'd rather have on the forum."

It's all a bit of a joke, really. He even used one of my own pseudonyms to sign the letter. Years ago, I wrote a piece of flat-fee flim-flam called "Mafia: A Chilling History" or something like that, under the condition that my name didn't appear on it: not an uncommon thing for freelance writers to do to earn a few bob. The editors chose the name "Joe Dorigo," which was the name the poison-pen fellow used. the letter itself is just solid low-grade nastiness: ass others have pointed out, "hate" isn't really the word.

But once again, thanks for all the support. And the reason I've not updated Short Schrift is that I've been working on an e-book, Black and White Step by Step, whch is exactly what it says, with (for example) step by step pics of how to load a spiral (plastic and stainless, 120 and 35mm), what a film looks like when it's developing, and lots, lots more. But I'll try and get some more Short Schrifts sorted soon.

Thanks to everyone,

Cheers,

R.

rbiemer
08-02-2011, 03:25
Not quite sure how you can "be disgraced" for anything you've posted here, Roger.
Having opinions and the knowledge & experience to have earned them deserves respect in my world. Although, calling this knucklehead a "toad" might be insulting...to toads.
We all grow older but some refuse to grow up.
Have a better day,
Rob

gdi
08-02-2011, 04:01
That's the problem - ban who? As was suggested above you need to find out what IP address was the source of the message and proceed from there. And you need the cooperation of the ISP involved.

While that message sounds like a bad chain letter, I would find that upsetting if I received it.

This is another side of the internet that I have never liked.

Randy

It really isn't that simple - if the stalker took the extra few seconds to use an anonymous remailer, tracking the IP will be a waste of time. Just using web mail on a public wifi connection will make it impossible to trace to a matching IP used at RFF (unless they are logging on here during the same session).

And for Roger, the problem with paying any attention to it is that the sender of the email is probably reading the thread and getting their kicks knowing that it bothers you.

gilpen123
08-02-2011, 04:03
Why not call him frog instead.....IMO a person who wish to offend is either envious or insecure.

Contarama
08-02-2011, 10:20
A number of us are getting a petition together to have you banned. The mods will do nothing so we're going straight to Stephen with this.

How do you ban someone who has 13000+ posts? Maybe they should have been banned somewhere around 7000? LOL

Your detractor doesn't have a clue or a chance. He needs to shut his c-ckholster...

Benjamin Marks
08-02-2011, 10:58
Quite amazing that any topic raised in this forum would be able to inspire "hate." Roger: life is too short to dwell on it overmuch, and really, think of the poor sap who actually spent his time composing such a letter. Just imagine the life he must be leading in order to have nothing better to do with his time. Pity, really.

Ben Marks

zauhar
08-02-2011, 11:10
It really isn't that simple - if the stalker took the extra few seconds to use an anonymous remailer, tracking the IP will be a waste of time. Just using web mail on a public wifi connection will make it impossible to trace to a matching IP used at RFF (unless they are logging on here during the same session).

And for Roger, the problem with paying any attention to it is that the sender of the email is probably reading the thread and getting their kicks knowing that it bothers you.

Good points on both counts.

Randy

it'sawhat?
08-02-2011, 12:23
Shame to see you or anyone attacked like this on this forum Rodger. I'm new here but have to say I do enjoy seeing your posts and threads even when our opinions may be different.

Ezzie
08-02-2011, 13:15
Keep up the good work Roger. Your posts are never boring, even the, as you say, "silly" ones. One may agree, or one may not, but that's what makes for an interesting debate. How hate comes into it i just can't imagine.

photo4ls
08-02-2011, 13:17
Roger, Don't let these things deter you from doing what you do.
I appreciate reading what you have to say along w/Shutterbug.
At the least you know you have friends here. I think you are a
good person so hang in there.
Nelson

Roger Hicks
08-02-2011, 13:22
How do you ban someone who has 13000+ posts? Maybe they should have been banned somewhere around 7000? LOL

Your detractor doesn't have a clue or a chance. He needs to shut his c-ckholster...

Guilty as charged, m'lud.

Cheers,

R.

250swb
08-03-2011, 00:16
Just seen this thread Roger. I'd just like to say that not having you as an integral part of the RFF would create nearly as big a vacuum as the one that exists between the ears of your stalker.

Steve

Bill58
08-03-2011, 00:42
I'm sorry to hear about this. There are too many nuts in this world....and the Internet gives them a new way to vent their craziness. Hang in there.

robert blu
08-03-2011, 04:47
Forza Roger, don't give up. I'm sure that when we'll meet next year in Arles this sad story will be already only a small things from the past.
robert

AndySig
08-03-2011, 09:57
Dear Roger,

I had to do a few triple takes when reading this thread. What on earth have you been doing? I mean you've not been criticising bokeh again have you? I'm genuinely baffled as to how somebody can get hot under the collar about what appears on a photography forum. All you can do is laugh really. And as for the individual concerned: well if he ever does have the guts to show up in real life, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with him that a swift kick in the nuts wouldn't cure.

I rather suspect that you'll find that 99%+ of the forum is on your side.

Roger Hicks
08-03-2011, 09:59
Forza Roger, don't give up. I'm sure that when we'll meet next year in Arles this sad story will be already only a small things from the past.
robert

Dear Robert,

Really, it's a small thing now. It wasn't the first (and I've had worse), and I doubt it'll be the last. As I said earlier, I just wanted to say to the poison pen wielder that if he lacks the cojones to insult me in public, his insults ain't worth much.

I'd like to thank you and everyone else who has contributed to the thread for the support, though. As I say, I almost feel bad about it, as if I'd been trawling for compliments. I was half thinking about asking to have the thread locked, or just closing it altogether by deleting the first post: I think it's run its course.

Next year in Arles!

Cheers,

R.

Roger Hicks
08-03-2011, 15:14
. . . Really, it's a small thing now. . . . I was half thinking about asking to have the thread locked, or just closing it altogether by deleting the first post: I think it's run its course.

Cheers,

R.
Dear All,

So: it should now be locked, with this as the last message. I think it's more than run its course: there's not really anything left for me to say except thanks very, very much to everyone for the kind words and wise advice.

Cheers,

R.

rover
08-03-2011, 15:19
As requested