PDA

View Full Version : Old cameras and the BBC

Roger Hicks
05-21-2011, 01:03
An interesting piece on photographica in London tomorrow, plus observations on using old cameras:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/13452289

Cheers,

R.

Ronald_H
05-21-2011, 01:23
Very nice article Roger. I 'liked' it on Facebook, so my young and hip friends might grasp what I spend my time on.

Hopefully they will understand a bit better why on earth I make pictures of them with old, strange contraptions that still use film. Or why I started messing around with foul smelling chemicals in the dark.

Roger Hicks
05-21-2011, 02:41
Very nice article Roger. I 'liked' it on Facebook, so my young and hip friends might grasp what I spend my time on.

Hopefully they will understand a bit better why on earth I make pictures of them with old, strange contraptions that still use film. Or why I started messing around with foul smelling chemicals in the dark.

What, as well as photography?

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

Cheers,

R.

Ronald_H
05-21-2011, 23:25
As inspired by the T-shirt slogans in another thread:

"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a photographer"

or

"I'm not cooking up Meth, that's my darkroom"

or maybe

"Don't you just love the smell of Rodinal in the morning?"

JohnTF
05-22-2011, 07:09
Went to a four hour auction Friday and then a small show Saturday in Columbus (first day it had not rained in about a month, so poor attendance), but there is always interesting stuff and opportunities.

Good dose of social stuff mixed in, familiar faces -- almost all the sales Saturday were between dealers, but still a good place to find the odd part -- and be amazed at how much people can pay for expired Minolta 16 film-- plus considerable items even Roger may have had trouble identifying.

I missed some film cans that were of the same vintage as my Model A Leica, there were some good books-- a box of NOS replacement bellows, and lots of very nice Graflex, including military models.

Part of the allure is you never know what pops up.

Nice very old Rollei for $40 but $300 for a bag of the Minolta 16 film?

Worse ways to spend a day.

Regards, John