PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Rating

MP Guy
08-31-2005, 08:19
Here we go again. Such a touchy subject. Do we implement the rating system or not?

rbiemer
08-31-2005, 08:22
If I didn't want folks to judge my shots I wouldn't post 'em. So I voted "yes".
Rob

TPPhotog
08-31-2005, 08:28
Too touchy I'm going to whimper over to the corner and hide until the daleks have gone ... errrm I mean the decision has been made :D

It's nice when people take the time to comment or rate or even both and I'm honored when it's any of them on one of my pictures, but ratings can become such a bag of worms :eek:

Apostata
08-31-2005, 08:32
I think the poll needs more options than yes/no.

Assuming that some of us aspire to 'art' rather than 'artisanship', a rating system has no real purpose for the former. In this context, would you want a rating system at the MoMA or the Louvre?

However, many of us simply take wonderful photographs without the intent to be 'artists', and to this extent the rating system may buoy someone's confidence in their technical direction.

I won't touch the fact that any rating system is open to abuse. This is why Slashdot (http://www.slashdot.org) uses a user-moderation system to 'rate the ratings'.

My 2 cents (Canadian)

Matt

Todd.Hanz
08-31-2005, 08:36
If I didn't want folks to judge my shots I wouldn't post 'em. So I voted "yes".
Rob

I agree with Rob.

It doesn't make sense to upload a pic into a public gallery and not expect anyone to comment on the image does it? (numerically or verbally).

Todd

SolaresLarrave
The current system is easy on my ego. Besides, we already "rate" shots by leaving comments on them. To me, a non-commented photo suggests that I should take it down.

Hence, I'm not for ratings.

Jorge, thanks for giving us the option!

MP Guy
Ok, how about a gallery just for having pictures rated? I will see If I can do that.

wlewisiii
08-31-2005, 08:38
I agree with Rob as well. I really would love more feedback and the ratings would help that.

William

Wayne R. Scott
08-31-2005, 08:38
These are just my feelings on photo ratings.

If I want my photos judged I will enter them into a photo contest like PPA or something similar and then go massage my bruised ego after they are done.

I also let people judge my photos with their check book, the more photos they buy from me the better a photographer I think I am. So I would say beauty is in the eyes of the check book holder.

I am not sure if an open rating system on the internet is a good thing, I may have some one that is color blind rating a color photo and not know it.

If some one likes "attaboys" they may want to have their photo rated here. As a general rule we are nice on RFF, almost to the point of getting too much sugar for your dime.

Wayne

Todd.Hanz
08-31-2005, 08:43
Ok, how about a gallery just for having pictures rated? I will see If I can do that.

As Bertram has suggested elsewhere, this is probably the answer, if possible.

Todd

MP Guy
08-31-2005, 08:44
I just put a picture in the new rating gallery. I cant see a rating can someone let me know if you can vote on it?

dmr
08-31-2005, 08:48
Is it possible to turn the rating system on selectively, like per photo, per sub-gallery?

Wayne R. Scott
08-31-2005, 08:51
posted rating can you see it?

wayne

RayPA
08-31-2005, 08:52
For the sake of RFF, I voted against applying a rating system to ALL photos. I don't think the site is ready for it. However, I am agreeable to having a seperate folder for those that are asking others to rate their photos, provided that folder has ratings guidelines.

jan normandale
08-31-2005, 10:38
I have been around photography for a long time. It draws people in for so many different reasons it is difficult to list them all.

As a kid I sat and listened to people formally judging photographs. My parents couldn't afford a baby sitter. What I learned was that judging was rather weird and highly subjective and not unlike here could be highly charged at times. People recognized a pals work and voted one way, others didn't know the photographer and voted another way. Some judges liked nature and not sports, or liked street photography but no landscapes .. you get the idea.

What I saw was judging was like watching the judges at the Olympics judging the pairs in ice skating. It was pretty dodgy. The final agreed best shot was often a compromise. Sometimes it was truly worthy other times the shot was eclipsed by a loser.

For those who want criticism I would suggest a separate thread/forum and I would also eliminate the point system since it is like a popularity poll at the local high school dance.

Written observations regarding a photo would be the most constructive. But even here I could probably take a famous photographers work, and demolish it if I wanted. Point ? It all depends on why you want to take shots. Finally 35 mm RF's are not the only way to take shots so where do we adjust from there?

Jan

Fedzilla_Bob
08-31-2005, 11:00
I am sitting on the fence over this one. I like the idea of peers giving comments. Which we do already.

Rating could be nice, as long as it isn't fodder for some sort of popularity contest.

I think the idea of the user having a choice in whether or not they want a photo rated is superb. Then if I choose to, I can just add my photo to that "rating gallery."

Roman
08-31-2005, 11:23
I voted 'no'.
While I don't have anything against photos being critiqued, a numerical rating does not make sense at all - imagin someon getas a '3' - now he has to figure out: Was it because the voter did not like the composition? The subject? The quality of the scan? His personality in the 'talk' forum? etc.
If we have to have a 'critique' forum (which I don't see as an absolute necessity, as I said elsewhere), let's have a seperate forum for that, with VERBAL critiques, where people can point out what they like or dislike about a picture, instead of giving it an obscure number.

Roman

Roman
08-31-2005, 11:27
Ooops, I guess I was late - just read that Jorge already opened that special gallery, great!

Roman

Bertram2
08-31-2005, 11:46
As Bertram has suggested elsewhere, this is probably the answer, if possible.

Todd

IMHO a good idea, let's start it and look if it finds acceptance at all and what happens there. If it does not work we can give it up
BUT: Please no ratings without a comment. Otherwise we could get all the pnet misery very quickly also here !
Regards,
Bertram

Todd.Hanz
08-31-2005, 11:58
IMHO a good idea, let's start it and look if it finds acceptance at all and what happens there. If it does not work we can give it up
BUT: Please no ratings without a comment. Otherwise we could get all the pnet misery very quickly also here !
Regards,
Bertram

Good answer, I give it a 9.5 :D

Todd

oftheherd
08-31-2005, 12:04
Hello:)

This is all happening far too quickly. IMHO the only problem the gallery ever had was that the occasional idiot newbie uploaded a large pile of dross in one hit. That's been fixed. The rest ain't broke, and we all know the form. Having a separate "critique" gallery is a recipe for two things: comfy biege and red hot flames. Just leave it be for a while to settle down before turning it into something completely different.

Cheers

ManGo

That is sort of why I voted no. I guess I like the forum like it is. I was never big on change. Did you know they have a way to make pictures move? eecck! :eek:

oftheherd
08-31-2005, 12:08
I just put a picture in the new rating gallery. I cant see a rating can someone let me know if you can vote on it?

I didn't scroll down to see if anybody answered this, but yes, there is a rating system, as you no doubt know as some of the photos are already rated.

Little Prince
08-31-2005, 12:18
I have nothing in my gallery yet, so I don't know if my opinion counts. I couldn't just say yes or no, so I didn't vote. I think it's a good move overall to have a separate gallery for critique. I am not too keen on a numerical rating system. If it must be had, I feel it would be wise to insist on accompanying it with verbal comment. This is not so much for my sake as for others who understandably feel vexed by this idea. Even if it looks like a rule, it would at least dissuade the pnet kind of malcontents from spreading their misery everywhere.

Doug
08-31-2005, 12:24
Commentary as we've had it, yes, very useful. Ratings, as Roman observed, don't make much sense to me either. A separate gallery for ratings is fine, but I hope that doesn't mean people will be less likely to leave comments in the existing gallery. And shouldn't the rating infrastructure now be removed from the "old" gallery? (Ah, I see it has! Only the ratings themselves remain)

Gabriel M.A.
08-31-2005, 13:24
I think the question should be: Allow a Gallery with Ratings? that's different than allowing the current gallery to have ratings, I think...

f/stopblues
08-31-2005, 13:34
I voted no.

I feel like this is an easygoing refuge on the web and the galleries should reflect that disposition. Verbal critique can be very helpful and informative, but numbers are arbitrary and only useful on a surface level.

For example, I may have a spectacular photo with a crooked horizon line and the raters ding me for that, but I'd never know because of their unspecific nature. The examples could go on, not to mention retaliatory ratings, friends, etc. Verbal rating galleries would be ideal in my opinion.

Bottom line is that I enjoy the galleries as a place to view everyone's art.. not a forum to fluff egos.

Chris

Skinny McGee
08-31-2005, 15:54
Why do we need a rating system when people can comment on your photos as it is . Everyone can read the comments that people have made and you can respond to the comments if you like.... Just the acknowledgement that a fellow RRF member took the time to look and write something about your photo is nice rating in my opinion...

Thank you very Much I will step down now and let some one else have the Floor

Skinny

jan normandale
08-31-2005, 16:04
Why do we need a rating system when people can comment on your photos as it is . Everyone can read the comments that people have made and you can respond to the comments if you like.... Just the acknowledgement that a fellow RRF member took the time to look and write something about your photo is nice rating in my opinion...

Skinny

Awww Skinny....

yer too nice, and make too much sense.

Jan

f/stopblues
08-31-2005, 19:06
I'm taking donations to launch a massive "Vote Blue or Die" campaign in P.Ditty's honor. Send money (cash or MO only) care of me, at my home in Kansas City. I'll see to it that all funds go towards advertisement and slanderous nonsense aimed at knocking those "Yes" people down to size. Once the RFF public sees the Red Regime's plans for a hostile takeover of the Gallery, they'll rise above the Evil and vote Blue.

Don't be stingy!

RJBender
08-31-2005, 21:49

Skinny

Ratings would be more appropriate for a competition. The gallery should be informal and ratings would turn it into a competition. How many times do you visit a gallery just to see samples from a particular camera or see what a RRF member likes to photograph? Just my 2 worth.

R.J.

24x30
08-31-2005, 22:11
I voted 'no' because the number without knowing the standards of the person who give you the rates is sensless. I rated some images at p.net and had afterwards to explain why I just rated it average or below. It seems to me that the people just wanted some compliments.

/rudi

hoot
09-01-2005, 01:47
Having a separate gallery for our best work is, in my opinion, a good idea, but I'm not so sure it should allow ratings; not just because of the hit-and-run factor but because you can't just rate art on a scale of one to ten.

pvdhaar
09-01-2005, 02:59
I'm all for comments, but I'm not in favour of ratings. After all, comments can point to ways to improve your pictures. But what are you going to do with a score? From my -albeit somewhat limited- experience with ratings/comments on pnet, I can tell that I'm much more delighted with comment -even when critical- than with a top rating..

Besides, I think a rating system will do to RFF what it has done to pnet. That is, become a source of endless -if not pointless- discussion about the values, about hi-jacking the system, about fairness etc. etc.

jmilkins
09-01-2005, 04:40
I like receiving and leaving comments - though I admit in both cases its for encouragement rather than criticism.

a numerial ratings system? well, I think its a slippery slope without a verbal adjunct.

The specific gallery is a good compromise so long as people still comment on other images, not just the ones in the "ratings" gallery...

Gabriel M.A.
09-01-2005, 13:18
I agree with Rob.

It doesn't make sense to upload a pic into a public gallery and not expect anyone to comment on the image does it? (numerically or verbally).

Hmm...while I agree with your idea, I disagree with the logic. Because somebody goes outside it doesn't immediately imply that they have given permission to violate their privacy, just because they are out in public view. You could argue that if they wanted to be very private they would walk outside with a brown bag over their head and that would be a clear indication that they do not want their privacy to be invaded.

I think the same kind of logic applies for a "gallery". Somebody may want to show them to the general public, but they may not necessarily seek feedback. I think this is why it's a good idea to make ratings optional. Some people want feedback, others just want to show their work, nothing more. Not everybody has the same concept and idea of what a "gallery" is and what it should be used for (as has been sorely apparent by some of the massive photo uploaders in the past).

My twopence.

Fred
09-01-2005, 13:23
As my Dad used to say, " If it aint broke, don't fix it"

I didn't listen then but I think he might be right. :)

rbiemer
09-02-2005, 06:07
Ummm, can I change my vote? OK, not really but: you folks have made some perceptive and reasoned arguments against a numerical system. I have decided that # ratings aren't much use but verbal critques would be helpful(to me any way).
I will post something in that gallery but not necessarrily soon. I self edit very stringently(no, really. The 13 shots in my gallery are what I consider my best from the last six or seven months[40-50 rolls] of 35mm shooting.) so it might be a while before I get something I rate well enough to post there.
I had to stop taking my newly picked up photos to work with me as my co-workers got upset when I wouldn't just hand over the whole pile of prints for them to look at.
Rob

nomade
09-02-2005, 06:28
The # ratings express how much u liked the pic, and u always have the option of adding a comment, there r people who wouldn't comment but rate and even if there were no ratings they wouldn't comment anyway...I beleive numerical ratings cna be encouraging to say the least..

Todd.Hanz
09-02-2005, 06:42
I'm taking donations to launch a massive "Vote Blue or Die" campaign in P.Ditty's honor. Send money (cash or MO only) care of me, at my home in Kansas City. I'll see to it that all funds go towards advertisement and slanderous nonsense aimed at knocking those "Yes" people down to size. Once the RFF public sees the Red Regime's plans for a hostile takeover of the Gallery, they'll rise above the Evil and vote Blue.

Don't be stingy!

Drats, foiled again! Just when I was planning some voter intimidation in the gallery....Muahahahaha! :eek: :eek: :mad:

Todd