PDA

View Full Version : Print Swap II

T_om
08-29-2005, 19:10
This is a couple of days ahead of schedule but my time is limited the next few days so I thought I would go ahead and kick things off.

Print Swap I was a HUGE success. MANY THANKS to all the participants and now, by popular demand, Print Swap II will get under way.

Go here for the rules:

http://home.comcast.net/~seaskate/index_files/Page361.htm

They are very simple and worked fine last time. No one contacted me for any alterations so we will go with them again this round.

Joe, please make this a sticky and remove the Print Swap I postings so things won't get mixed up.

Gentlemen and gentlewomen, step right up and see the amazing talent represented on the RangeFinder Forum first hand. I have mine on the wall in front of me and I'm looking forward to seeing my next partners work.

I have the last pairing list and I'll make sure everyone from Print Swap I has a different partner this time, still by the luck of the draw.

tom

Marc Jutras
08-29-2005, 19:13
Count me in!

T_om
08-29-2005, 19:18
Count me in!

Marc (and everyone else) , you have to sign up via email as we did last time. My email address is on the "Rules" site listed above as I will be collecting the names this time instead of Alan (who is still moving I believe). Be sure to have "Print Swap" in the message subject line so I can auto sort them.

Thanks!

Tom

back alley
08-29-2005, 19:26
tom, do you want the first one unstuck or removed completely?

joe

Marc Jutras
08-29-2005, 19:26
Done. Thanks.

T_om
08-29-2005, 19:31
tom, do you want the first one unstuck or removed completely?

joe

Whatever is easier for you Joe. I guess just unstick it and let it fade away if that works for you. I just didn't want it to get mixed up and confuse the situation.

You are in for this swap too I hope, right?

Tom

back alley
08-29-2005, 19:34
i'm scared!

roman may not have his print yet, i have not heard, and lately i have not been liking my stuff very much.

joe

Gabriel M.A.
08-29-2005, 19:47
I was in the first one, but would like to have it a go, another spin... (just a suggestion: no tight deadlines please, maybe?...some have unexpected things come up at work and/or the lab)

ray_g
08-29-2005, 19:57
Be sure to have "Print Swap" in the message subject line so I can auto sort them.

Tom, is it "photo swap" as per the posted rules on your page, or "print swap" that should be on the email header?

FrankS
08-29-2005, 20:16
I'll play this time around. E-mail sent.

Chaser
08-29-2005, 21:05
I'm in. E-mail sent.

24x30
08-29-2005, 21:29
i'm scared!
roman may not have his print yet, i have not heard, and lately i have not been liking my stuff very much.
don't worry about that ... Marc told me today that the print had arrived after weeks now. I already prepared the next one to send to him (Not the same, all prints are unique :-).

At least I figured out how to send the print next time cheaper and faster :-). Sorry Marc you were my first test.

/rudi

24x30
08-29-2005, 21:37
I forgot,

I also send a mail to Tom ... :-)

/rudi

Roman
08-29-2005, 22:51
Just signed up for round 2...

joe,
with the alleged speed of Canadian post, I expect your print as a nice surprise X-Mas present :D

Roman

back alley
08-30-2005, 05:09
look for a long round tube...

egpj
08-30-2005, 05:35
T_om,

May I recommend that you include your forum name in the email that is sent off. I know last time that Doug did not know who I was on the forum. Only after he connected my email address was the same as my forum name. Just a suggestion.

email sent.

Glenn

T_om
08-30-2005, 08:11
Tom, is it "photo swap" as per the posted rules on your page, or "print swap" that should be on the email header?

My error :bang: , but the keyword my mail sorter works on is "Swap" so all is well no matter which you use. :)

Tom

T_om
08-30-2005, 08:16
T_om,

May I recommend that you include your forum name in the email that is sent off. I know last time that Doug did not know who I was on the forum. Only after he connected my email address was the same as my forum name. Just a suggestion.

email sent.

Glenn

Glenn,

We will put that in next time but I already have 15 sign-ups and some did, some did not include their forum names.

I will post the participants names here and they can start letting everyone know who they are if they like and, of course, when you are notified of your pairing, you will have your swap partners email address and you can ask them yourself.

------

For Everyone:

I can hardly believe this has only been up 24 hours and we have 15 participants already. That was the total number of swappers last time so it looks like we will do better this time.

The "Rules" page says we would like to keep it to 20 participants but we will go over that if necessary, so don't hesitate to sign up if you want.

Tom

T_om
08-30-2005, 08:21
i'm scared!

joe

Joe,

Ya ain't gettin' off that easy. :D

Get your name in the hat NOW! You have some REALLY nice stuff in your gallery and I'm sure anyone would be honored to swap with you.

Tom

titrisol
08-30-2005, 08:31
I emailed you this time around ;)

T_om
09-01-2005, 16:17
Hello Print Swappers.

Here's an update. We have 16 so far. If your name is not on the below list, I have not received your entry email yet, so get on board.

Brad Losh
Glenn Paul
Tom Persinger
Doug Miles
Roman Sonnleitner
Rudi Herrmann
Chase Allgood
Remy Lang
Wayne Scott
Frank Scheitrowsky
Gabriel M. Aguirre
Ramon Generoso
Marc Jutras
Stan Wooding
Pablo Coronel
Tom O'Meara

We'll keep it open the remainder of the week then look at closing the entries and having the drawing.

Tom

lkgroup
09-01-2005, 16:31
I'm in E-mail Sent

Leo

jano
09-03-2005, 06:51
Is this open to someone with only a handful of posts that nobody knows?

FrankS
09-03-2005, 07:06
jano, there's no better way to become known than with your photography. Send Tom an e-mail!

T_om
09-03-2005, 12:02
jano, there's no better way to become known than with your photography. Send Tom an e-mail!

He did. :)

-----

To All:

Folks, don't be shy. There are no "qualifications" necessary to participate other than a desire to have a bit of fun and see the work, first hand, being done by other forum members.

Tom

PS: 19 participants so far, keep'em coming.

T_om
09-04-2005, 10:18
Just an update and drawing notice.

We have 20 participants now. See the list below. If your name is not on the list, please notify me right away at the email address posted on the "Guidelines" page. I will keep the participant list open for entries until Thursday, 8 September. I'll do the drawing that night and post the parings either that night or on Friday the 9th. The goal was to have the drawing the first week in September, so we are right on schedule.

This is going to be a really nice swap. Lots of talented shooters here on the forum.

Here is the list so far:

Brad Losh
Glenn Paul
Tom Persinger
Doug Miles
Roman Sonnleitner
Rudi Herrmann
Chase Allgood
Remy Lang
Wayne Scott
Frank Scheitrowsky
Gabriel M. Aguirre
Ramon Generoso
Marc Jutras
Stan Wooding
Pablo Coronel
Leo Christoffer
Jano Lukac
Joe Rizzuto
Mark Goody
Tom O'Meara

Tom

T_om
09-07-2005, 11:34
Last bump before "Drawing Day" tomorrow.

I'll put together the pairings tomorrow. Should have them posted by tomorrow afternoon, Eastern Time Zone, USA.

Tom

titrisol
09-07-2005, 11:37
Are we going to get and email with our pairing info?

T_om
09-07-2005, 11:42
Are we going to get and email with our pairing info?

Yes. I'll send everyone an email and also post the pairings here.

Tom

back alley
09-07-2005, 12:14
oh boy, i hope i get myself - that will make it so much easier!

huh?

joe

T_om
09-07-2005, 14:04
oh boy, i hope i get myself - that will make it so much easier!

huh?

joe

Waaaaait a minute... That would generate twice as many complaints about slow shipping. :p

Tom

back alley
09-07-2005, 14:50
not if i just put them in the mail box first...

RML
09-07-2005, 21:58
not if i just put them in the mail box first...

Joe: "I'm sorry, Joe, but my car broke down on the way to the mailbox and I haven't been able to make it out there yet".

Joe: "No problem, Joe, I had exactly the same problem".

Two weeks later....

Joe: "Where's my print, Joe? I've posted mine but where is yours?"

Joe: "Sorry, Joe, I had problems with my printer. Soon, Joe, soon!"

Some more weeks later....

Joe: "Sorry to tell you but the mailman gave me back the print I sent you. Undeliverable, he says. Or perhaps his mush was not up to the job. Anyway, I'll try again".

Joe: "That's fine, Joe. Mine got back as well. Seems Canadian Mush Post is on strike".

Etc...

Just kidding, Joe. :p

jano
09-08-2005, 07:20
I just finished reading through the other print swap thread, and .. um .. yikes.

back alley
09-08-2005, 08:07
Joe: "I'm sorry, Joe, but my car broke down on the way to the mailbox and I haven't been able to make it out there yet".

Joe: "No problem, Joe, I had exactly the same problem".

Two weeks later....

Joe: "Where's my print, Joe? I've posted mine but where is yours?"

Joe: "Sorry, Joe, I had problems with my printer. Soon, Joe, soon!"

Some more weeks later....

Joe: "Sorry to tell you but the mailman gave me back the print I sent you. Undeliverable, he says. Or perhaps his mush was not up to the job. Anyway, I'll try again".

Joe: "That's fine, Joe. Mine got back as well. Seems Canadian Mush Post is on strike".

Etc...

Just kidding, Joe. :p

yeah, that's pretty much as i saw it too :)!

joe

sockdaddy
09-08-2005, 09:23
what do you mean by yikes?

and count me in, btw.

ray_g
09-08-2005, 10:33
I just finished reading through the other print swap thread, and .. um .. yikes.

That made me read through the previous Print Swap thread, and, hopefully, learn from their shipping and printing misadventures. A must read... thanks, Jano.

T_om
09-08-2005, 13:48
Here are the results of the drawing. This worked straight out of the hat as no one from the last swap was paired with the same person this time, so no adjustments had to be made.

I'll be sending out the individual email messages later this evening. Remember, try and get the print in the mail within 2 weeks.

We had 24 participants this time, quite an increase!

Print Swap II Pairings:

-----------------------------

Glenn Paul <egpj> - Jan Normandale <jan normandale>

Tom Persinger <tpersin> - Roman Sonnleitner <Roman>

Doug Miles <Doug> - Frank Scheitrowsky <FrankS>

Chase Allgood <Chaser> - Joe Rizzuto <backalley photo>

Brad Losh <bnjlosh> - Marc Jutras <Marc Jutras>

Remy Lang <RML> - Wayne Scott <Wayne R. Scott>

Alan Chen <kaiyen>- Gabriel M. Aguirre <gabrielma>

David Scott <sockdaddy> - Ramon Generoso <Ray_G>

Stan Wooding <Stan> - Jano Lukac <Jano>

Ruijie <breakaway> - Leo Christoffer <Lkgroup>

Mark Goody <Goodyear> - Pablo Coronel <Titrisol>

Rudi Herrmann <24x30> - Tom O'Meara <T_om>

---------------------------------------

Enjoy!

Tom

back alley
09-08-2005, 14:52
looks like i didn't get me.

big sigh...

jan normandale
09-08-2005, 16:38
looks like i didn't get me.

big sigh...

Joe ,

don't go schizophrenic on us now. Next you could start arguing with yourself!! ;-)

Jan

back alley
09-08-2005, 16:41
well as the album cover says, 'you're never alone with a schizophrenic. :)

joe

ray_g
09-08-2005, 17:00
"Post the tech details"

"No, don't post them!"

"Post them!"

Ha... good one, Jan :)

ray_g
09-08-2005, 17:19
Alright, I'll go sit in the corner AND put on the dunce cap now.

jano
09-08-2005, 19:22
what do you mean by yikes?

The same old story: everyone's work seems far better than my own :o

RML
09-08-2005, 21:23
Wayne, any wishes for the print? :) Do you prefer a print from one of the photos that are in my gallery, or something completely unrelated? Could be a surprise (if I get the print right, of course). :p

Wayne R. Scott
09-09-2005, 01:19
RML,

I like the footprints one in your Ol-17 gallery. Or you can suprise me.

I have very few photos posted and none of them are b&w. What are your interests?

Wayne

Erl
09-09-2005, 01:59
I decided I need to learn to swim, so dived in at the deep end before even removing my shoes!

TRANSLATION: I'm new here, but am prepared to give this thing a go. Gotta enjoy life!

RML
09-09-2005, 04:40
Wayne, surprise me! Landscape, portrait, street, abstract, whatever, is all fine by me. :)

24x30
09-13-2005, 22:02
This time it looks to be much more difficult to do a print :-|. Two sessions and no acceptable result, last time I needed just one session. Last one I forgott 2 times to close the aperture again after I did the black frame :-(. Seems Tom had to wait a few days more ... Thursday is the next lab session.

/rudi

T_om
09-14-2005, 16:23
This time it looks to be much more difficult to do a print :-|. Two sessions and no acceptable result, last time I needed just one session. Last one I forgott 2 times to close the aperture again after I did the black frame :-(. Seems Tom had to wait a few days more ... Thursday is the next lab session.

/rudi

The one I did for you came back from the lab today. :)

I am out of town most of tomorrow but hope to get it off to you on Friday.

Tom

Gabriel M.A.
09-14-2005, 16:25
I have been unsuccessful getting the e-mail address of my swap partner, so, if you see this, just give me a howler...

T_om
09-18-2005, 16:42
Gabriel,

Check your PM box.

Tom

T_om
09-18-2005, 16:43
How is everyone progressing?

I got my print off to Rudi in Fridays mail. Anyone else shipped so far?

Tom

back alley
09-18-2005, 16:59
my print should be ready for pick up from the lab tomorrow.
i hope i didn't screw up this time out, but i think i did ok.

already have mailing tubes from last swap, so mine should be in the mail by tuesday.

joe

Roman
09-19-2005, 02:13
I will bring mine to the post office today!

Roman

Marc Jutras
09-19-2005, 08:27
I should find time to ship this week (hopefully). My schedule is just plain crazy.

bnjlosh
09-19-2005, 10:22
I will have mine out at the end of the week...

Doug
09-19-2005, 10:29
Taking neg to lab today!

Roman
09-19-2005, 10:42
These are the two prints I took to the post office today to send to Tom (and next to them, the cameras & lenses that took them).

Roman

24x30
09-20-2005, 07:22
These are the two prints ...
I like the upper one ... just great.

@T_om
The prints are gone (by airmail this time :-).

/rudi

Stan
09-21-2005, 02:13
Yes, my prints are away, and are now at the mercy of the postal services

back alley
09-21-2005, 14:27
it's in the mail
it's in the mail

just dropped my print off to the post office, yeah!!!!

i'm not last again!!

joe

T_om
09-21-2005, 18:04
it's in the mail
it's in the mail

just dropped my print off to the post office, yeah!!!!

i'm not last again!!

joe

Well damn... we're gonna have to find someone new to use as the"bad example" this time. :p

Tom

back alley
09-21-2005, 18:08
hee hee hee

jano
09-21-2005, 20:01
Well damn... we're gonna have to find someone new to use as the"bad example" this time. :p

Probably me :p My scanner arrives next monday, delayed by at least two weeks. So instead of that, I had helluva time with lab people getting them to scan my chosen neg properly, and finally said hell with it, took the best of the poorer scans, and spent a few hours manually working out the jpg artifacts. Print should arrive tomorrow, it'll ship to Stan before the end of the week :)

RML
09-21-2005, 21:18

Tom

Or perhaps me. I'm in the process of packing to move house. You guessed it. I can't find the envelop with the print. :p I'll have to do some rummaging to find it and post it.

Goodyear
09-22-2005, 00:35
Well damn... we're gonna have to find someone new to use as the"bad example" this time. :p Nah. It'll probably be me.

Maybe you can all offer me some advice:

I have the print, but I wanted to mount it before I send it. Trouble is, I've only ever framed a print, never just mounted it with no frame or glass. What's the appropriate way? (I'm such a n00b.)

I was assuming bevel in front and then a solid bit of card covering the whole lot on the back (so bevel - print - card front-to-back). Is that the way? And then how to secure it all (given that without glass and clips my normal little bit of paper tape and then just sandwich it all in and clip method won't apply!)?

Please excuse the n00b...

At least I have the print here!

/edit: never mind. SOmes links found on APUG to the rescue! Hey, I'm learning new things and skills here. This is cool.

24x30
09-22-2005, 11:39
T_om's print already arrived yesterday.
A really fine piece of his work.

Thank you.

/rudi

24x30
09-22-2005, 11:45
We have to do a third round, because at the first round I learnd how to send a print to somebody ... or better how to do it not. At the second round I learnd how to wrap it. And also how good a matting can look. So ... maybe at the 4th or 5th round I'll be nearly perfect in wrapping and sending a print. There's only the printquality left :-).

And I like your prints. :o

/rudi

Goodyear
09-22-2005, 12:38
Yeah, at the third round I might send a mounted print.

My search for materials today was fruitless, so titrisol will be getting his unmonted :(

Any tips on packaging? Is a good, solid, card-backed envelope sufficient?

24x30
09-22-2005, 13:31
Next time I will put someting extra on the edges, they seem to be the biggest problem. I put Cardboards on each side. T_om's print had an extra mail-bag around it.

/rudi

back alley
09-22-2005, 14:53
i bought some mailing tubes and just rolled the print.

roman said he needed to let it sit for a while to let it flatten back down.
i would be worried to ship it flat although it seems to work for others.

joe

24x30
09-23-2005, 01:34
sending it as a roll and with airmail costs 2 or 3 times as much as sending it plain. Without airmail it costs the same, but it used last time more than 5 weeks to go. I'm curious how it worked this time ... the print between 2 cardboards. Maybe it's not hard enough.

For me the print swap is a challange every time :-).

/rudi

Roman
09-23-2005, 01:53
The last time I sent my prints in one of the cardboard envelopes that photo paper comes in, sith some extra card-board and bubble-wrap in it for protection, and the edges reinforced with gaffa tape, I could even send it a s letter post.

Roman

Goodyear
09-23-2005, 03:53
The last time I sent my prints in one of the cardboard envelopes that photo paper comes in, sith some extra card-board and bubble-wrap in it for protection, and the edges reinforced with gaffa tape, I could even send it a s letter post.

RomanThat all adds up to pretty much what I was thinking. Cool.

Doug
09-23-2005, 09:55
My incoming print from the previous swap was mounted on foam core and matted, and then shipped in a slip-in cardboard envelope. I think it might have been ok but it arrived looking like the truck driver had used it as a cushion all the way across the country. Seriously mangled, in other words. UPS standards call for at least 2 inches of padding all around an item.

jan normandale
09-23-2005, 19:17
update for egjp/Glenn

your print is done, it goes out Monday. Because it is from a 6x6 (Mamiya 6 RF) the print is a BW on glossy, 8" x 8" square. Let me know if you want it signed and dated on the back in pencil.

Jan

ray_g
09-23-2005, 19:26
My prints went out last Tuesday.

T_om
09-25-2005, 14:54
Sounds like everyone is doing great. :)

I am really looking forward to Rudi's print getting here...

Tom

T_om
09-26-2005, 13:37
Rudi,

Your prints arrived today! I was afraid they had been bent as the cardboard outer layer had a significant crease, but when I opened the package the prints were fine.

Both are gorgeous and will go on the wall in my office.

Thanks!

Tom

jano
09-26-2005, 18:44
My prints went out par avion this morning! I used a $2.50 tube and postage was fairly cheap ($5) for 4-7 day travel.

I totally forgot to take a picture of the camera and prints though, drat! :bang:

Late afternoon today received Stan's three prints (two from his Zorki and a polaroid transfer) -- the little girl picture was very lovely, and became quite the chick-magnet today with several "ooos" and "aaahs" from my office staff :) The subject on the transfer (a leaf of sorts) goes well with the autumn theme in my office now, too.

Thanks Stan, looking forward to print swap III!

Doug
09-26-2005, 19:10
Was in the smaller local lab today as the print was being made, along with several others. The big scans had been done, and the operator was finalizing borders and colors, so called me in for coordination. Fighting a faint tint once again in the B&W print on color paper, and working toward the crop I specified.

They had done 4x6 color proofs, useful as a guide, and I again struggled to explain clearly that the main purpose of the rough laser-printer proofs I supplied was to get the cropping the way I wanted it. It seems the labs are much more used to customers wanting, say, an 11x14 and they're accustomed to cropping the neg to fit the paper! I figure paper sizes are arbitrary, and rarely match the composition of the image.

One of the color prints they finished today was an 11x14 of this image < http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1744&cat=500&page=1 > and the color and crisp sharpness made me say "wow"! This print shows all the delicious texture in the yukky green-painted faux brick, the peeling paint of the window sill, and every wire-sharp square of the loose window screen! This crispness totally trashes the reported "softness" of the 50mm f/2.5 CV Skopar, and what's equally impressive is that it was shot on 800 ISO Fuji NPZ film. Amazing film, amazing lens. Geez now I wonder how an 11x16 of the Juice Lady would look!

sockdaddy
09-26-2005, 19:17
i received my prints from Ray last week, and they're great. perhaps i'll scan them if i get into the mood.

my return prints went out in the mail today - i even managed to recycle the two cardboard sheets that you packed my prints in to ship to ship back to you.

titrisol
09-27-2005, 05:19
Mark it'll probably be easier to send an unmounted print ;)
yours should be there already :LOL:
Nah. It'll probably be me.

Maybe you can all offer me some advice:

I have the print, but I wanted to mount it before I send it. Trouble is, I've only ever framed a print, never just mounted it with no frame or glass. What's the appropriate way? (I'm such a n00b.)

I was assuming bevel in front and then a solid bit of card covering the whole lot on the back (so bevel - print - card front-to-back). Is that the way? And then how to secure it all (given that without glass and clips my normal little bit of paper tape and then just sandwich it all in and clip method won't apply!)?

Please excuse the n00b...

At least I have the print here!

/edit: never mind. SOmes links found on APUG to the rescue! Hey, I'm learning new things and skills here. This is cool.

Stan
09-27-2005, 23:27
Jano; it's great to know that my prints arrived safely. I'm haunting my letter-box here against the happy day

Stan
09-27-2005, 23:31
Yes. Roll on Print Swap III

FrankS
09-28-2005, 04:34
That's a great window shot, Doug! I told you I liked that one. Your print hasn't gone out yet, but it will this week for sure.

Doug
09-28-2005, 10:59
The lab printer said she likes that one too, Frank... I expect to hear from them very soon to say the job is done; I'll probably pester them this afternoon, if they don't call first.

ray_g
09-28-2005, 17:18
Happy to say I received my prints from Sockdaddy today. Thanks!

This project was a great experience.

Doug
09-28-2005, 23:29
I'll take a snapshot tomorrow of the print with the camera/lens used to make it, then seal up the package and get it off in the mail to Frank. Trying not to be the last one to finish up with this... :)

Goodyear
09-29-2005, 04:22
I have mine from Titrisol.

Very nice. Thanks!

I must humbly admit that mine in return is sitting here all packaged up (unmounted ;) ) waiting for me to get a chance to get to the Post Office. Sorry... :(

titrisol
09-29-2005, 06:15
glad you liked it.

Doug
09-29-2005, 23:35
Two prints were sent out to FrankS today, after I made these two record shots with my Canon PowerShot G3. First one is the originally picked one, actually a mate to the Seagull #2 that was Glenn's pick for Photo Swap I... and the Bronica RF645 that made the image.

The second one is a bonus extra, since Frank had commented on it, the printer operator had said she liked that one, the printed result was so surprisingly good despite the 35mm ISO 800 film, and demonstrating the high capabilities of the 50mm Skopar lens! So here it is too, with the Leica M2 and 50 Skopar used to make it.

They're on the way by USPS today, Frank! :D

Stan
10-03-2005, 22:35
Jano's prints arrived safe and sound yesterday.Now I'm faced with a welcome framing job. I think Print Swap is a great idea.
At least you got a New Zealander (a Kiwi) in this round.

T_om
10-04-2005, 17:01
Jano's prints arrived safe and sound yesterday.Now I'm faced with a welcome framing job. I think Print Swap is a great idea.
At least you got a New Zealander (a Kiwi) in this round.

Glad everyone is doing so well. This has been a great swap!

Tom

back alley
10-04-2005, 17:07
i wonder if chase got his print yet?

joe

jano
10-04-2005, 17:33
Now I'm faced with a welcome framing job.

Gosh, I hope that's a good thing! I sent a square crop, hope it's not too much trouble. Now that I have my scanner, I'm working on e a much better quality output here (my initial tries are sharper and cleaner than what was sent).

Jano

PS: I agree, this print swap project is great!

ray_g
10-04-2005, 17:53
Glad everyone is doing so well. This has been a great swap!

Tom

Yes it has. Thanks for your effort, Tom :)

Chaser
10-04-2005, 19:21
i wonder if chase got his print yet?

joe

not yet but i am still getting my stuff matted so, heh...i may be the last one to have it out.

T_om
10-05-2005, 17:44
not yet but i am still getting my stuff matted so, heh...i may be the last one to have it out.

If you're the last, you will have to take Joe's place as The Bad Example next time. :p

Tom

Gabriel M.A.
10-05-2005, 18:04
Mine is going out tomorrow, rain or shine; it's been printed for a while, but long hours at the office have prevented me from stopping at the Post Office before they close. Allen's print has been taking rides with me since Monday (the UV seal dried Sunday morning). It's a 12x18 print which I've been wanting to matt or find the right pre-matt size, but it's too much waiting already, so go it shall...

Goodyear
10-07-2005, 04:58
\o/

My print has just gone after spending a week or so packaged and waiting.

Sorry, titrisol :(

Does this make the wooden spoon mine?

jan normandale
10-07-2005, 05:43
I was in the first swap and I had all intention of doing it up with the print, bought the frame, had the mats and mat cutter. Then the logistics and cost of sending a framed print came home. Believe it or ... the materials cost was nothing compared to packaging a framed print with glass and then the postage costs made the last two parts of the equation beyond my intent of reasonable.

I capitulated and since time had run out more than several weeks past the 'due' date I sleeved the print and mailed it.

Now I know. Anyone who does more should get a standing ovation from the RFF recipient member and also a 'good consumer award' from the post office and packaging industries. ;-)

Round II ; I sent it out sleeved, and curbed my enthusuasm!

Jan

Stephanie Brim
10-07-2005, 05:48
Frames can always be gotten after the fact. :) And that reminds me...we should organise another one of these things so that I can get in on it this time. I'll have some new shots before long.

Gabriel M.A.
10-07-2005, 08:51
Ah, but one of the rules should be "no matting, no framing" in return for "three prints". Three people swap among the three of them.

Wouldn't that be fun? A photomenage a trois? ;)

Stephanie Brim
10-07-2005, 09:32
Ooooh. It's an interesting idea.

T_om
10-07-2005, 15:47
Frames can always be gotten after the fact. :) And that reminds me...we should organise another one of these things so that I can get in on it this time. I'll have some new shots before long.

PS III will be coming online later in the month.

Don't want to burn everyone out. :)

Tom

jan normandale
10-07-2005, 16:35
Ah, but one of the rules should be "no matting, no framing" in return for "three prints". Three people swap among the three of them.

Wouldn't that be fun? A photomenage a trois? ;)

Gabriel, remember the chinese curse ' may you live in interesting times' this could be interesting. I'd probably go for something new. I've done two now.

24x30
10-08-2005, 12:51
Rudi, Your prints arrived today! I was afraid they had been bent as the cardboard outer layer had a significant crease, but when I opened the package the prints were fine.
I'm really happy to read this ... So, where is the next victim :D ?

Both are gorgeous and will go on the wall in my office.
I've put your print right beside Marc's at the wall ... I hope for a lot of PSs :) , it will be a nice collection of different styles and ideas, always inspiring to go on.

rudi

RML
10-10-2005, 22:30
I'm sorry to say that I still have to send out my print! I've been packing and moving house for the past week or two and haven't been able to run to the post office. I will mail the print this week (if I can find the print).

I guess the wooden spoon is mine? :p

kaiyen
10-11-2005, 07:58
I got Gabriel's print on Saturday. I didn't realize he was sending such a large print until after I had printed and, I think, mailed mine. I feel bad that I didn't print bigger but, then again, I hopefully made up for it with the mat.

I actually find that matting can make it _easier_ to send the print. I used a 2-ply backing mat with a 4 ply front mat (I cut them myself). I then put 2 ply mats on the front and back for added support. Then a very ugly combination of cardboard pieces for rigidity, then into a USPS box. I have sent many prints this method to different people as gifts without problems.

Next time around I'll make full use of my 13x19 printer. Heck, maybe I'll do a 44x36 poster and roll that puppy up in a mailing tube.

That actually would be kind of cool...

Gabriel's print is amazing, by the way. Puts mine to shame.

allan

Gabriel M.A.
10-11-2005, 10:40
Too kind, Allan, thanks. Glad you liked it. I liked yours a lot, and makes me wonder whether I should get one of those Ultrabrite printers myself; it's not easy to get that kind of tonality with my Canon S9000 (and hence the UV coat I applied, that makes the Ilford Galerie prints quite redundantly archival).

I'm getting some prints ready for an exhibit in November; I'm quite exited --and nervous-- about that. But that's for another thread.

Next time I'll probably just limit the print to a 8x12 or thereabouts; easier to ship too!

kaiyen
10-11-2005, 14:50
Gabriel,
Do you mean Ultrachrome? Or Ultratone? I'm using an Epson 1280, which is a dye based printer (so not Ultrachrome), using the Ultratone 2 (UT2) inks from MIS.

I like the results a lot, and the flexibility is great. I'm still mastering it, though. If I could afford to go through paper as much as I'd like I'd print much, much more just to tweak things. Even so, to get the tonality right for your print took just 2 sheets of paper (6 total test proofs) and it was done.

allan

T_om
10-16-2005, 07:22
Time for a roll call... has everyone sent/received their print?

Tom

sockdaddy
10-16-2005, 08:17
yes, and the prints i received looked great

jano
10-16-2005, 08:22
I got mine, Stan got his, but I'm a little concerned about Stan: we kept a brief email correspondence shortly after the swap, emailing pictures and talking about photography, but he stopped writing. Just hope everything's all right with him.

back alley
10-16-2005, 08:32
sent mine!

Chaser
10-16-2005, 09:20
I got mine and sent mine...i hope the mail Gestapo doesn't sit on it for too long..

Stan
10-16-2005, 14:52
Yes, Jano's print arrived safely.
Stan

kaiyen
10-16-2005, 15:12
got and sent mine. gabriel confirmed he got mine. or his. or whatever.

allan

Doug
10-17-2005, 00:32
Sent successfully, but no incoming as yet. I won't know if they arrive within the next 10 days or so as I'm vacationing in rainy/thundery Palm Desert CA!

Goodyear
10-17-2005, 00:35
Sent mine and recieved pablo's.

24x30
10-17-2005, 09:23
you know it already T_om :-),
thanks again.

rudi

bnjlosh
10-17-2005, 10:44
sent mine last thursday...sorry for the delay!!!

lkgroup
10-17-2005, 13:14
I sent my print about 3 weeks ago. I have not received mine yet.

Leo

T_om
10-17-2005, 16:57
I sent my print about 3 weeks ago. I have not received mine yet.

Leo

Have you contacted Ruijie?

Tom

lkgroup
10-18-2005, 11:58
Tom,

I tryed to find Ruijie, Pm address but I couldn't find it in the members list.

If you have it could you PM me with it.

Leo

T_om
10-18-2005, 17:15
Tom,

I tryed to find Ruijie, Pm address but I couldn't find it in the members list.

If you have it could you PM me with it.

Leo

I'll send you his email. There is no "PM" address, he either has it turned on in his account here or not.

Tom

titrisol
10-26-2005, 05:37
Got Goodyear's print!
It is really beautiful, but somehow I liked it better upside down (no offense)

It was until my wife told me it was upside down that i realized why those shadows on the stairs looked funny.

Thanks mark!

Goodyear
10-26-2005, 05:44
The shadows should be marching from the top left down to the right :D

Glad you like the print.

/edit: for those who are curious, it was an 8x10 of this image on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marramgrass/41498833/).

titrisol
10-26-2005, 10:16
Exactly, look at it upside down and you'll notice what I saw ;)

what a Homer moment!

back alley
10-26-2005, 10:19
i think i forgot to say that chaser's print showed up the other day.
matted and well packed, it arrived in good shape.
very nice print also, i now need to figure out what to do with the prints i've collected from here - where to hang them etc.

joe

RML
10-27-2005, 21:51
In the end I found the print back among my other "missing" photography things. Move house and you end up having with things you didn't remember you had, and end up missing things you distinctly remember having. The print was one such "I have it somewhere!" item. But I found it last week and sent it off to Wayne.

lubitel
10-28-2005, 01:23
is it too late to join the swap club?

Ralf
10-28-2005, 23:12
I would also like in on the print swap, and if I'm too late, perhaps the next one.

Ralf

Goodyear
10-29-2005, 01:43
Word is the next one will be coming soon - don't worry :)