PDA

View Full Version : Do you know how many cameras you own?

Roger Hicks
04-03-2011, 08:26
And, of course, what do you count as a camera? Surely, anyone who has been taking pictures for more than a decade or so (I've been at it 45 years) is likely to have all kinds of junk lying around (and so do many who started much more recently). What about non-functioning folders? Polaroids for which film is no longer available? Cameras you were given ("I know you're interested in photography...") and have not got around to trying? Cameras that don't work any more (or 'yet')? Camera phones? Outdated disposables?

I'd guess I have around 100, but it is only a guess. Usable, reasonably versatile cameras? Maybe a quarter of that. Cameras I use much? Halve it again, or maybe fewer.

Cheers,

R.

35mmdelux
04-03-2011, 08:35
Sold it all and only kept my M7.

Cheers -

gnuyork
04-03-2011, 08:47
More than 20 or so including 35 mm SLR and rangefinders, medium format toy cameras (Holga/Diana) LF, digital and pinholes (6x12 and 4x5). All of them functioning, including the polaroid that I don't have film for anymore.

The only cameras that see any use are my M6 and my 4x5. Occasionally I'll use the Holga or the pinholes, and if I have anything that requires digital I have a Canon 1D mark II which is ancient by digital standards, but I still think it produces an incredible file.

Jerry Thirsty
04-03-2011, 09:15
According to the spreadsheet I use to record my serial numbers, I have 52 cameras. (I'll admit it: I'm more of a gearhead than a photographer. The photos are just an excuse to use the gear, but every once in a while I get lucky and get a keeper.)

squinza
04-03-2011, 09:28
I own many (too many) lenses, but only three cameras: M6, M8 and a 5D mark II, that's all I need. And I wouldn't mind combining the two Ms into a M9.
That's because I barely use film, and as far as digital is concerdend, the latest bodies are definitely better than older ones.

Cheers

dogberryjr
04-03-2011, 09:35
According to my wife, too many.

She's wrong.

Well, maybe she's a little bit right.

But to really answer the quest, I don't know. I could estimate, but actually sorting them out and counting them would probably be pretty alarming.

njos
04-03-2011, 09:35
around 8 cameras include RFs,MFs,SLRs.(some are pinhole a.k.a Body Only)
i don't have any digital yet, or LargeFormat - Half frame :D

Mackinaw
04-03-2011, 09:45
Probably between 30 - 40. Most work too. As of late, I've only been using two (Leica MP and Rolleiflex 6006) but will take out one of the others when the mood strikes.

Jim B.

Lflex
04-03-2011, 09:45
Around year 2000, I sold all my stuff to fund a Leica M and a Lens. It was a project of removing the clutter and getting back to basic. During the following years I found out that I actually enjoy owning and using a diverse selection of quality equipment and I have purchased many new (to me) cameras since then.
My new rule is that if a camera doesn't work and if I don't like it enough to pay for a repair, it goes out. This has left me with a total of 9 film cameras (from half-frame to 6x9cm) and 2 digital cameras - all see regular use.
I don't consider phone and web cams part of this. I never use them.

zhengpeng
04-03-2011, 09:58
I think somewhere around 50. For some camera models, I bought several of them. For example, I have 3 Kodak tourist and 3 Kodak monitor folders (they are all of the better/special version). I probably have a dozen of German folders with very good working condition. I still have a few boxes of antique cameras brought from auction. If they are counted, the number could approach 100.

drinkingeye
04-03-2011, 10:04
less than I need, more than my wife can stand :)

around 35 cameras in total - technically in perfect condition maybe 25,
in heavy use around 10 (MF and 35 mm)

Gabriel M.A.
04-03-2011, 10:13
Yes, I do. And since the number is always increasing, decreasing, increasing...etc., I'd rather keep the number under wraps.

When I moved last August I got rid of about a dozen. Kept more than that.

andens2
04-03-2011, 10:20
Rangefinders - 8
Rank aldis x 2, Fed2 x 2, Fujica V2, Yashica GSN, Canon Canonet, Voigtlander Vito ii.
SLR's - 5
OM1, OM10, Praktica MTL 5, Minolta Dynax 500si and X-700
Medium Format - 3
RB67
Mamiya 6
Kodak Special 6 Twenty

1 - DSLR

2 - Pocket digital cameras

In addition to 7 other point and shoot cameras and three phone cameras.

Daily, Weekly use about 8 -10 mainly rangefinders and medium format.

John Lawrence
04-03-2011, 10:27
About ten years ago I probably had around the same amount as Roger (100+), but I needed some money, I wasn't using them and there was a boom in sales of vintage / classic cameras - so I sold them.

These days I probably have around 6 left - 3 I use regularly and 3 I keep for sentimental reasons.

John

_larky
04-03-2011, 10:28
I recently had a major clear out. I now own (thinking) 11 cameras.

Sh1t that's too many. I'm going to sell more.

dogberryjr
04-03-2011, 10:35
It's interesting to note that most folks who have a DSLR have only one, though they may have many varieties of other species. It could just be an economic consideration, I suppose.

horosu
04-03-2011, 10:42
Two: MP+ M9. Four lenses. That's all (sometimes I think it's too much).

Cheers, Horea

LKeithR
04-03-2011, 10:43
Last count--and I, too, have a database for insurance purposes--I had 24 bodies, only 4 or 5 of which are totally non-functional. I use 4-5 on a regular basis; the rest spend most of their time sitting. I seem to shoot less and less film all the time so the film cameras are the ones that sit. I'm going to sell off some bodies--and a few lenses--to fund a GXR. There, I actually said it, now I just have to do it...

HuubL
04-03-2011, 10:50
let's see. film cams, from the top of my head:

RFs: leica iii, iiia, iiic, iiifrd, iiifrdst, iiig, m1, m2, m3, m4, m4, m5, m6, m7, mda, cl
contax iia
fed 2
konica s2

SLRs: canon ftbql, f1n, ef, ae1, a1, ae1p, f1N, t90
oly om2
edixa flex
petri v6

compact: voigtlander vito iia, minox gl

6x6: rolleicord Va, zeis ikon nettax.

digital: canon 40d, panasonic gf1, i don't count my cell phones.

recently sold rfs: contax iii, canon ivsb, P, 7, zorki 4, zenith s, nikon s2 (reminds me I have to replace my sig pic)

Oh, all are functional, only the leica IIIa and the petri have bad slow times.

bayusuputra
04-03-2011, 11:05
less than 10, but i only keep 4 now, including one Pentax film PnS that's not working anymore, an XA, one Olympus XB400 and MG-1, i'm selling the MG-1, so practically i only have 2 cameras now, but hopefully i can get that Canonet QL17 Giii in the classifieds.. If that happens, my dream of having an XA and the QL17 will come true, and i won't be buying another one in near future i guess (oh, maybe a digital body, a K-5, if i have the money :) )

bayusuputra
04-03-2011, 11:07
RFs: leica iii, iiia, iiic, iiifrd, iiifrdst, iiig, m1, m2, m3, m4, m4, m5, m6, m7, mda, cl

:eek: impressive! i want one! :D haha!

HuubL
04-03-2011, 11:14
:eek: impressive! i want one! :D haha!

Sorry, I need them ALL ;)

jesse1dog
04-03-2011, 12:59
No idea how many - some bought out of curiosity, some bought out of sentiment, some bought as duplicates (spare parts), some bought stupidly!
Should have a clear out, might have a clear out, maybe tomorrow!

jesse

graywolf
04-03-2011, 13:42
Well, since I am not a collector, but a user, it is strange that I have 7 working cameras, and 2 non-working one of which I plan to repair. I have a couple or three more on my affordable wish list, and a half dozen on my wish list but too expensive given my limited income.

I used to equate collectors as hoarders, but have changed my mind lately as I realized that they are the source of those cheap "estate sale find"cameras on eBay. If they had not bought all those cameras up they would probably have wound up in the trash.

Michiel Fokkema
04-03-2011, 13:51
I'm not sure 20 or so. I've sold everything I can miss. Haven't bought nay cameras lately, only lenses. Must own around 30 I guess. Can't miss any of them.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

porktaco
04-03-2011, 14:08
lol

four plus my mom's old rolleiflex which is in a box somewhere

Darshan
04-03-2011, 14:18
Leica M4
Fuji GA645i
Pana GF1
Yashica D
Canon EOS Elan 7
Canon AF P&S (film)

The first four get used regularly.

Ranger Copy
04-03-2011, 14:27
opened or unopened?

Steve Bellayr
04-03-2011, 14:32
I know exactly how many cameras/lenses I own and their serial numbers & what batteries they use. In many cases I tell you where and when I purchased the items and for what price. I computerized this information. Computers do serve a purpose.

gb hill
04-03-2011, 14:39
I have less than 10. Mose are working users some belong in the trash can. Camera's are expensive so I fight off gas & buy what I can use. Really not any camera I'm interested in buying anyhow. There are a few lenses I'd like to have.

FrankS
04-03-2011, 14:44
A few less than Roger.

The real question is how may enlargers do you own? Any one with more than 9? (I can't help "rescuing" them from garage sales.)

kxl
04-03-2011, 14:49
I have 10, all functional. I paid for 9 of them; 1 was a gift:

2 DSLR's
4 Film SLR's
2 35mm Film RF's
1 NEX5
1 Graflex (a gift)

n5jrn
04-03-2011, 14:55
Only four; two Pentax film SLR bodies (MX and ZX-M), a Leica IIIf RDST, and a Panasonic DMC-LX3 digicam.

Wait -- five. I forgot about the Olympus XA I don't use very much anymore.

No -- six. Then there's the dead Canon A300 digicam.

No, wait -- seven. Forgot to include the MF folding camera.

Oops -- nine. Also have two old 6x9 box cameras that also take 120 film.

Um -- ten. Then there's the simple plastic Vivitar camera (forget the model, has only one shutter speed and a fixed-focus lens, designed for ASA 200 film under daylight conditions) I fished out of a free pile on the street.

But only the first four see any sort of regular use presently.

sreed2006
04-03-2011, 16:50
Cameras owned:

Before 1979, 0.

From 1979 - 1997: 1.

From 1997 to present, increasing exponentially, it seems, so that I now have 27.

Seven cameras purchased new (two film and five digital), one film camera that was given to me, 18 film cameras purchased used, and the digital camera in my cell phone.

The break-down is this:
11 ea. 35mm SLR
1 ea. crop-frame DSLR
2 ea. full-frame DSLR
4 ea. 35mm Film Rangefinder
1 ea. 35mm Film Point and Shoot
2 ea. Digital Point and Shoot
5 ea. Medium Format TLR
1 ea. Cell phone POS

All of the cameras that I purchased new work fine, and I use all of them, though not every one every month.

The camera that was given to me is in pieces on the dining room table (and has been for awhile). It may get sent away to a home for aged cameras as a basket case - I haven't decided its fate yet. I did put two or three rolls of film through it before taking it apart.

Of the 18 that I purchased used, only 6 were fully functional with no need for anything immediately. I have used all of those. Two of the cameras are maybe beyond hope - they cannot be used in their current condition but they are really nice cameras (Rolleiflex 3.5A, OM-2n) so I'm hoping they can be restored. The ones that need service are lined up and ready to go out - most of them were purchased within the past year.

So, I have 16 fully functional cameras, and use them all, though some more than others.

My goal is to master each camera, but I'll have to get busier than I have been. I did process some black and white film the other day like there was nothing to it, though, and it wasn't all that long ago that I processed my first roll ever. So, there's hope.

Jani_from_Finland
04-03-2011, 16:57
Hmm, my wife counted 9, but it was before i got at least five or ten more, so i say between 10 to 20.
I also got diagnosed re-burst of Zuikoholism, had some 10 lenses before, now about the same again and propably more to come...

Brian Puccio
04-03-2011, 17:04
M6 with 90mm and 28mm Zeiss lenses, keeping it simple, though a GSW690 looks interesting.

t.s.k.
04-03-2011, 17:28
I keep my tally just below the number of shoes my wife has. :)
She's no Emelda Marcos but definitely no slouch.

crawdiddy
04-03-2011, 18:03
I have about 40 cameras. Only 2 Leicas (M6 and IIIf). I have a weakness for Kodak cameras, so lots of them are quite cheap. I like all of my cameras, each in its own way, and for no more than they cost me, they were a bargain.

I like Frank S's followup question-- how many enlargers do you own? I have 1 now, but since I recently acquired a Speed Graphic 4x5, I need an enlarger that can handle large format.

Frank-- anything you could part with?

Jani_from_Finland
04-03-2011, 18:11
I like Frank S's followup question-- how many enlargers do you own?

Just 2 ...

cliffpov
04-03-2011, 18:16
I'm not sure. I thought that maybe I had a collecting problem. But after reading some of the posts in this thread I now feel much better about myself. Some of you are sick.

FrankS
04-03-2011, 18:18
Dan, with cameras and enlargers, anything that I would be willing to part with is really not worth the hassle of selling. I've made donations to the local high school that still offers a courses in film photography and darkroom skills and given an enlarger to a neighbourhood kid.

porktaco
04-03-2011, 18:19
oh wait. i forgot two.

loquax ludens
04-03-2011, 19:41
I really do not know exactly how many cameras I have, but its quite a few. I have 10 assorted LF cameras ranging in size from 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, and 8x20. I've got at least a half dozen Yashica RFs, not all working. I've got around that many Minox cameras. I've got a 16mm movie camera and about a dozen double 8mm or Super 8 movie cameras. Two Bronica ETRSi, a Hasselblad 503 CXI, and a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II. Plus a Russian Hasselblad copy. An old Nikonos. Three film SLRs and a DSLR. A handful of film and digital p&s cameras. A Polaroid 150 Land Camera, too bad there's no film for it anymore. There's my Leica IIIc, and I've got a "new" M3 on the way. Oh, and the Bessa R. I almost forgot that one, and I just used it today!

I'm sure there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 cameras in my house, and I'm probably forgetting a few. But maybe only half of all my cameras are in good working condition.

Rob-F
04-03-2011, 20:08
I have 27. Roger, you have 100? Gee, I feel better already. I might have more slide projectors than you, however.

mgd711
04-03-2011, 20:21
40 cameras, a couple that I have never used, 1 I was given and is dead.
Off those cameras I use about half off them regularly.
Once the collection passed 10 my wife lost interest so most off them she has never seen :)

rbiemer
04-03-2011, 20:30
My initial response to your question, Roger, was "Of course I know how many cameras I have"...But then I started to count 'em and the honest answer is "Umm, no I don't really know."
Somewhere around 20 or a few more--I got stuck after 17 when realizing that there were some more but I'm not quite sure just what.
This is partly due to maintaining two homes, one at Raquette Lake where I live and work about 10 months of the year and one in Cortland where I live between the work seasons.
Most of my cameras are probably functional, two that I have are functional but there isn't film available; both of those are Kodaks. One is the Bantam Special and the other is one of Kodak's instant cameras.
Rob

porktaco
04-03-2011, 21:10
oh wait maybe there are one or two more.

jan normandale
04-03-2011, 22:15
opened or unopened?

hilarious.... best response in this thread. BTW Roger, this is a great thread!

jan normandale
04-03-2011, 22:16
oh wait maybe there are one or two more.

LaL... I responded before getting to this point... I'm giving this one a 'best in class' response.

Roger maybe you should put these into a book or column ? ;D

yefeihe
04-03-2011, 22:18
Let me see... I have one each of the following:

Pentax 67II
Pentax 645
Mamiya RB 67 Pro SD
Mamiya RZ 67
Mamiya Press Super 23
Mamiya Press
Mamiya Universal Press
Mamiya C330 Pro S
Mamiya 7II
Mamiya Six
Mamiya 645 1000s
Mamiya 645 Pro TL
Koni-Omega Rapid 200
Koni-Omegaflex M
Koniflex
Minolta Autocord MXL
Ricoh Diacord L
Airesflex
Walzflex
Bronica ETR-Si
Bronica SQ-Ai
Bronica GS-1
Bronica RF645
Bronica S2
Bronica EC/TL
Kalimar Reflex 66
Kowa 66 Super
Fujica G690BL
Fujifilm GF670
Contax 645AF
Rolleiflex 6008i
Rolleiflex SL66SE
Rolleiflex 2.8C
Rolleicord Vb
Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta IV 6x6
Zeiss Ikon Mess Ikonta 6x9
Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex IIa
Voigtlander Bessa II
Linhof Technika III 2x3
Graflex XL
Kodak Medalist II

Happy to say they all work. Wait, those are just my medium format cameras. Apart from them, I don't own any large format ones, don't own any miniature ones, only a few 4x4s, one digital, but a bunch of 35mm ones!

jan normandale
04-03-2011, 22:25
Let me see... I have one each of the following:

Pentax 67II
Pentax 645
Mamiya RB 67 Pro SD
Mamiya RZ 67
Mamiya Press Super 23
Mamiya Press
Mamiya Universal Press
Mamiya C330 Pro S
Mamiya 7II
Mamiya Six
Koni-Omega 200
Koni-Omegaflex M
Koniflex
Minolta Autocord MXL
Ricoh Diacord L
Airesflex
Walzflex
Bronica ETR-Si
Bronica SQ-Ai
Bronica GS-1
Bronica RF645
Bronica S2
Bronica EC/TL
Kalimar Reflex 66
Fujica G690BL
Fujifilm GF670
Rolleiflex 6008i
Rolleiflex SL66SE
Rolleiflex 2.8C
Rolleicord Vb
Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta IV 6x6
Zeiss Ikon Mess Ikonta 6x9
Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex IIa
Voigtlander Bessa II
Linhof Technika III 2x3
Graflex XL
Kodak Medalist II

Happy to say they all work. Wait, those are just my medium format cameras. Apart from them, I don't own any large format ones, don't own any miniature ones, only a few 4x4s, one digital, but a bunch of 35mm ones!

you have to own more than that to post in this thread

yefeihe
04-03-2011, 22:36
you have to own more than that to post in this thread

I know, and not just that, there's also a glaring hole in my collection: no Hasselblads!

Rico
04-03-2011, 23:18
Small miracle: I have just 20 including old digicams like the Nikon Coolpix 900. :) I'm quite sure most will never see use again. Two have zero shutter actuations since leaving the factory. Hmm...

nikon_sam
04-03-2011, 23:38
No, I don't know the exact number of cameras I own...between 20 & 30 something...I'm sure it's less than 40...a lot of them are old pieces, box cameras, folders stuff that will never be used for any type of regular shooting...most of these old ones are put away or decoration somewhere in our house...At least half of what I own are ready to use if needed...

ChrisN
04-03-2011, 23:50
Do you know how many cameras you own? And do you care?

No and no. :)

RichC
04-03-2011, 23:58
Scary thread!

I'm no gearhead so have only what I need...

One - until last week, my Leica M8.

I now own two, having just bought a Canon S95 that I can put in my trouser pocket.

Don't see the point of having more cameras since I'm not a collector.

When I get a new one, it replaces my old one, which gets sold. First camera = Canon 10D, next = Epson R-D1, current = Leica M8.

I'm a photographer first and foremost, and am pretty uninterested in cameras. I'd be happy using any camera that allowed me to take the type of images I like...

Lancaster
04-04-2011, 00:21
Do you know how many cameras you own? Yes.
And, of course, what do you count as a camera? A camera.
What about non-functioning folders? None.
Polaroids for which film is no longer available?None.
Cameras you were given ("I know you're interested in photography...") and have not got around to trying? None.
Cameras that don't work any more (or 'yet')? None.
Camera phones? None.
Outdated disposables? None.

Chris101
04-04-2011, 00:59
I've nine camera that I use regularly. If I include all the ones that either don't work or that I don't use for some other reason, I have 35 (or so) cameras.

pintpot
04-04-2011, 06:07
Between 20 - 30, I should start a shop!:bang:

kossi008
04-04-2011, 06:14
Yes and yes. I own exactly five operable cameras, not counting my cell phone. And I do care, because for me, too much choice tends to paralyze me.

TXForester
04-04-2011, 06:16
Was 24 before the weekend. Down to 23.

I gave Dad a camera, because he does not like the digital P&S cameras. He's going back to film.

jan normandale
04-04-2011, 20:26
I know, and not just that, there's also a glaring hole in my collection: no Hasselblads!

well you'd better get on it then !!
;D

tekst
04-04-2011, 20:35
Too many; around 10 that work and one or two I need to get around to fixing. If i manage to get a job im applying for I'll have to add one more (DSLR :S) to the collection too! It never ends..

Pablito
04-04-2011, 20:41
I have no idea how many cameras I own. But I know how many I use.

nikon_sam
04-04-2011, 21:00
2 enlargers and 7 tripods...No, wait, 6 tripods...I gave one away...

softshock
04-04-2011, 21:29
I have pretty damn sweet setup currently- Leica M2 & M3 along with Summarit 1,5 50, Summaron 2,8 35, DR Summicron 2,0 50, Jupiter 9 2,0 90, Elmar 3,5 50, & Jupiter 8 2,0 50. I also keep an SLR for alternate use- A Pentax ME with a 135 2,5 & 50 1,7. With my Leica's I never use any meter and with my Pentax it is aperture priority only which works nice since the Pentax ME Super (with selected speeds) looks to have a very fragile dial. I use my Leica's 95% of the time. My most used film is almost certainly P3200TMZ.

PMCC
04-04-2011, 22:20
I've got way too many. None are working, but all were steals on Ebay.

Matus
04-04-2011, 22:54
Fuji Sivli f2.8 (P&S zoom 25 - 50) - probably will sell soon
Konica Auto S3 - needs a little repaier
Mamiya 6 + 50, 75, 150 - get's the most action
Tachihara 4x5 + 75, 125, 240, 400 - get's less action than it deserves

Oh, and the prehistoric Minolta 7D which has too many quirks (AF speed and precision, WB) so it only gets used for ZOOs or eBay. No point in selling it - too little value.

wakarimasen
04-05-2011, 00:33
16, including one DSLR. Too many, I think, but I'm finding it hard to part with any of them.

Mr_Flibble
04-05-2011, 01:00
Let's see how many I can recall, from the top of my head:

Argus A
Argus C-3
Argus C-44
Agfa Box 50
Agfa Click II
Agfa Clack
Agfa Isolette L
Canon Ixus V2 (my first Digital, now broken though)
Ciroflex D
Certo Super Dollina
Epson R-D1
Graflex Anniversary Speed Graphic 4x5
Graflex miniature Speed Graphic 2x3
Ihagee Kine Exacta
Kodak Autographic Vest Pocket
Kodak No.2 Folding Autographic
Kodak No.2 Box Brownie Model F
Kodak Retina II (Model 142)
Kodak 35
Kodak 35 US Army Signal Corps PH-324
Kodak 35 RF
Kodak Medalist
Konica Auto S2
Kiev 2a
KW Pilot-6
Leica I
Leica III with custom flash-sync upgrade
Leica IIIa
Leica IIIa with Leitz IIIf style flash-Sync upgrade
Leica IIIc with Red Curtains "stepper" 1941
Leica IIIc "stepper" 1942
Perfex Fifty-Five
Praktica MTL-50
Praktica MTL-50 with bad frame-spacing
Rolleicord 1a Type 2
Rolleiflex Standard
Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 54/2
Zeiss Ikon Nettar
Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16
Zorki I currently in pieces for a curtain replacement operation
Zorki I
Zorki C

That's about 40 I guess.

damien.murphy
04-05-2011, 01:03
Too many, it has seemed at times, but frequently difficult to thin them out.

At the moment, there are 7 cameras between my camera bags and a camera shelf, although seeing as they straddle 3 formats (35mm, 6x6, digital), I'm not too unhappy.

I always find it difficult to sell a camera for €100 or less, given the hassle involved in selling, and for this reason my Rollei 35T and Rolleicord II have survived the chop.

Mablo
04-05-2011, 01:04
I keep and regularly update a Google spreadsheet of how many cameras and lenses and other paraphernalia I have, serial numbers, filter size for each lens, CLA dates etc. I don't keep broken cameras that I don't intend to repair. This really helps me to keep the number of my cameras and GAS down. Now, I have eleven and could buy one or two more (a 6x7 or 6x9 and a 4x5).

Brian Sweeney
04-05-2011, 02:44
I need to sell some more gear.

Sold off gear to fully fund the M9. It made a dent. Sold one Nikon, maybe have another 59 Nikons. Sold three Leica's, and M2, a IIIf, and a III. Kept the two M3's, IIIf, III, and IIIa.

Roger Hicks
04-05-2011, 03:17
Too many, it has seemed at times, but frequently difficult to thin them out.

At the moment, there are 7 cameras between my camera bags and a camera shelf, although seeing as they straddle 3 formats (35mm, 6x6, digital), I'm not too unhappy.

I always find it difficult to sell a camera for €100 or less, given the hassle involved in selling, and for this reason my Rollei 35T and Rolleicord II have survived the chop.

Dear Damien,

That's precisely why I have so many: probably 70% of the cameras I have are not worth selling. On the desk in front of me there's an Ultra Fex Himalaya (bought as a superb piece of design), and on my desk upstairs there's a fixed-lens non-RF Foca (bought for a 'classic cameras' piece) and a Zeiss leaf-shutter SLR (a gift that arrived unexpectedly in the mail, along with a Kodak point-and-shoot).

Next there are cameras I don't use often any more, such as my Nikon Fs. Mostly, I use them just with a 200/3 Vivitar Series 1. I think I have 5 Fs, dating from the 70s and 80s when I used them more, along with probably a dozen lenses and even a Polaroid back. Frances used to use Nikkormats, and they're not worth selling: I think we have a couple left. And so forth.

Then there's sentimental value: I still have the Kodak box camera that my father bought in 1947, along with a KowaSIX (very usable!) and a Graflex Super RB that belonged to my late father-in-law...

There's also the point that in professional use, it's quite common to find that you need a particular camera less and less -- I shoot far less 4x5 than I used to -- but you keep the camera 'just in case' and then realize you've not used it in half a decade.

On top of all that, there are cameras that are only occasionally useful, but that are very useful when you do need them, like the 10x8 De Vere monorail that I'm using for the Ilford Direct Positive paper.

Cheers,

R.

jan normandale
04-05-2011, 10:15
Dear Damien,

That's precisely why I have so many: probably 70% of the cameras I have are not worth selling. On the desk in front of me there's an Ultra Fex Himalaya (bought as a superb piece of design), and on my desk upstairs there's a fixed-lens non-RF Foca (bought for a 'classic cameras' piece) and a Zeiss leaf-shutter SLR (a gift that arrived unexpectedly in the mail, along with a Kodak point-and-shoot).

Next there are cameras I don't use often any more, such as my Nikon Fs. Mostly, I use them just with a 200/3 Vivitar Series 1. I think I have 5 Fs, dating from the 70s and 80s when I used them more, along with probably a dozen lenses and even a Polaroid back. Frances used to use Nikkormats, and they're not worth selling: I think we have a couple left. And so forth.

Then there's sentimental value: I still have the Kodak box camera that my father bought in 1947, along with a KowaSIX (very usable!) and a Graflex Super RB that belonged to my late father-in-law...

There's also the point that in professional use, it's quite common to find that you need a particular camera less and less -- I shoot far less 4x5 than I used to -- but you keep the camera 'just in case' and then realize you've not used it in half a decade.

On top of all that, there are cameras that are only occasionally useful, but that are very useful when you do need them, like the 10x8 De Vere monorail that I'm using for the Ilford Direct Positive paper.

Cheers,

R.

I'm somewhat the same boat... taking shots, writing ads, uploading it all, paying for the ad with more forms to fill, answering legitimate questions, dealing with packing and mailing, trips to the post office and then resolving problems with purchasers .. All for $30 - $100 a camera and you eventually ask can I use my time for something else.. that's one reason I have a 'camera backlog'

BTW Roger thanks for the info / mention regarding the Ultra Fex, that is some wonderful magic with bakelite! Also I was unaware of the Ilford "positive paper", I will have to check it out.

viv
04-05-2011, 10:37
Nikon D700, Nikon D200, Nikon D300, Zeiss Ikon, Leica M9, Bronica ETSRi, Minolta 7000i, Canon Ixus 800is, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8.

Stuart John
04-05-2011, 11:53
Zorki C, Zorki 1, FED2, FED3, Canonet QLIII, Canonet 28, Nikon FM2n, Nikon F801, Nikon D1h, Nikon D80, PAL Junior, Yashica D, EOS100, Canon IXUS, Olympus C220 and a funny looking Gilbert.

dleyva2
04-05-2011, 11:57
that's the million dollar....I mean euro...... question among my inner circle here in Huesca. I'm not counting....and I'm not telling.

Paul Luscher
04-05-2011, 12:05
How many cameras do I own? Too damn many.

Doug
04-05-2011, 16:13
I know exactly how many cameras/lenses I own and their serial numbers & what batteries they use. In many cases I tell you where and when I purchased the items and for what price. I computerized this information. Computers do serve a purpose.Same here... including details I'm likely to forget such as repair info, part numbers for the correct accessories, camera specs, etc.

dtcls100
04-06-2011, 11:38
Like alot of others here, I probably have too many cameras and lenses. I'm a Mamiya 6 and Olympus OM nut. I've got:

4 Mayima 6 RF bodies, with the complete lens trio of 50mm, 75mm and 150mm, plus an extra 50mm that I bought with the idea of re-selling, but have not been able to part with.

Olympus OM bodies:
2 OM-1 MD
1 OM-1n
3 OM-2n
1 OM-4 (with upgraded, low drain circuit board)
3 OM-4Ti
1 OM-PC (stripped of focusing screen)

Too many OM mount lenses -- Zuiko 21/2, 24/2.8, 24/3.5 shift, 28/2, 35/2, 50/2 macro, 50/3.5 macro, 50/1.8 (4 versions), 90/2, 100/2, 35-80/2, 75-150/4; Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro, Series 1 70-210/3.5 v.1, Series 1 70-210/2.8 v.3, Series 1 28-90/2.8 (2 copies), Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 (2 copies). I guess that makes 23 lenses in OM mount!

Also have a Contax T2 (great pocket camera), and a Canon Digital P/S -- Digital Elph 800is, or something like that (I really don't particularly like or use it).

Glad the prices for the Mamiya and OM equipment has been holding up, in the unlikely event that I ever decide to sell some of it.

Bob Ross
04-06-2011, 13:57
I couldn't answer Roger's question, so I took a count and came up with 34 of which 7 are digital, 5 are medium format, 7 are RFs, 1 sub-miniature, 1 half frame, 3 memo cameras....or 7 Olympus, 4 Leicas, 3 Nikons, 2 Kodaks.......the oldest is a Kodak from 1938 and newest is an Oly E-5 from 2010.
Thanks for a fun question and all the fun answers.
Bob

Roger Hicks
04-06-2011, 14:11
I couldn't answer Roger's question, so I took a count and came up with 34 of which 7 are digital, 5 are medium format, 7 are RFs, 1 sub-miniature, 1 half frame, 3 memo cameras....or 7 Olympus, 4 Leicas, 3 Nikons, 2 Kodaks.......the oldest is a Kodak from 1938 and newest is an Oly E-5 from 2010.
Thanks for a fun question and all the fun answers.
Bob

Dear Bob,

Thanks for counting!

But are you sure you have checked all your drawers, cupboards and camera bags...?

(I live in quite a big house -- they're cheap in rural France -- so I can pretty much guarantee I'd miss some.)

Cheers,

R.

Bob Ross
04-06-2011, 19:51
Dear Bob,

Thanks for counting!

But are you sure you have checked all your drawers, cupboards and camera bags...?

(I live in quite a big house -- they're cheap in rural France -- so I can pretty much guarantee I'd miss some.)

Cheers,

R.

You know that is sort of the way my counting went. I had the first batch and then over coffee this morning...."what about the Nikonos, the Mercury and the Holga?" ...and a few more later. I have a few that were just given to me because "Bob collects cameras doesn't he?" The ones that you never used are hardest to remember. I did have an electronic list, but it went the way of a computer crash.
Now, the next mega count would be to add all the cameras that we owned and sold/traded/lost/used up/destroyed. For me those were the stepping stones taken to finally arrive at the mythical state in which the desire for more cameras is gone :angel:
Bob

CNNY
04-06-2011, 20:43
How many parts that don't fit together (yet) does it take to count as one camera. I seem to have as much in the way of un-whole cameras as I have that are fully functioning. And then there are the ones that are in drawers and boxes across the pond.
You are not getting a number out of me...

Muggins
04-07-2011, 02:51
The last time I counted I had over fifty, mostly box cameras. I've tried to be one in one out since, shifted some duplicates via the local Oxfam sale, but I have a nasty feeling that it's much the same number because I keep being given the things!

There's pictures of a lot on my Flickr, in the set called "I have too many cameras", but several of those have now gone.

Funny you should have an Ultra Fex Himalaya, Roger - a friend who spends his summers in France tells me that it's a legal requirement that a French car boot sale must have at least one Ultra Fex on sale, or at least that's what it looks like to him! I must do a respool and put a roll through the one he got me. Then there's the Photax Blinde, the French Hawkeye....:bang:

Adrian

GeneW
04-07-2011, 05:55
I went on a purge and cleared out all but one film cam and two digitals. Since then the number is creeping back up. 4 film cams, 2 digital, and an iPhone 4, which takes remarkably decent grab shots.

There's some kind of universal law at work. Cameras on the shelf attract yet more cameras on the shelf. Resistance is futile.

Gene

sreed2006
04-09-2011, 18:29
Roger,

I responded earlier in this thread, and writing up the response was unexpectedly therapeutic! It's nuts to have a bunch of non-working cameras laying around.

Today I packed up and sent off five cameras and six lenses for service or repair, and then packed up six more cameras and they are ready to ship (but it is too late to get them in the mail).

It'll be expensive - but man I'll have a lot of really nice working cameras.

rizraz
04-09-2011, 18:35
Which number? the one I tell my wife or the "real" number....... my wife thinks I got 4 cameras......

ErnestoJL
04-09-2011, 19:05
Actually there are about 30 to 40 cameras in working order, but if the count must include the non working gifts I received and/or bought for parts, there are more than a hundred... but my wife sees from time to time only a few... because we dont live under the same roof...
But she knows very well that Im absolutely insane, thats why were still together after six years.
I also know that Im a very fortunate man!
Cheers
Ernesto

Stanton
04-11-2011, 16:27
How about 342 -- most of them operable. Dave

jcrutcher
04-11-2011, 16:58
17 Leica's
IIIA
IIIB
IIIF
CL
D-LUX 5
V-LUX 20
X1
M2
M3
M4
M4-P
M5
M6
M7
MP
M8
M9

4 Canon Digital, 4 Canon Film, 1 pentax 67, Zorki 1C, Contax IIa, Contax Keiv knockoff, Rollei 35, 2 Retina IIIC

32 total, all are in working order and except for the Pentax are shot on a regular basis.

Don't tell my wife!

kram
04-19-2011, 13:16
Lots - but no where near as many as some of you guys. How many don't I use: 3- Rioch TTL (my father's which he no longer uses), but the speeds are all off- so can only use it with flash. Fujifilm super DL, used this camera for years as my carry around compact, but I expected more from the lens quality. Finally a Minolta super 16 (used it once). Come on folks how got a sub miniture which they use.

cameras I own and have used over the last year: Mamiya 7, MPP 7, MPP8, Walker 57 XL, Nikon F, Nikon F2, Nikon F6, Minox GT, Minox GT-E, Rollei 35SE, Zeiss Ikon ZM, Contax TVS 2.

I have purchased my wife a Contax TVS 3 a few years ago - but I seem to use it more. I purchased my first digital camera at the end of last year- great for puting photos on the web/email etc., but never printed anything off from it. Not as 'fun' as film, I don't why.

Roger Hicks
04-19-2011, 13:21
Lots - but no where near as many as some of you guys. How many don't I use: 3- Rioch TTL (my father's which he no longer uses), but the speeds are all off- so can only use it with flash. Fujifilm super DL, used this camera for years as my carry around compact, but I expected more from the lens quality. Finally a Minolta super 16 (used it once). Come on folks how got a sub miniture which they use.

cameras I own and have used over the last year: Mamiya 7, MPP 7, MPP8, Walker 57 XL, Nikon F, Nikon F2, Nikon F6, Minox GT, Minox GT-E, Rollei 35SE, Zeiss Ikon ZM, Contax TVS 2.

I have purchased my wife a Contax TVS 3 a few years ago - but I seem to use it more. I purchased my first digital camera at the end of last year- great for puting photos on the web/email etc., but never printed anything off from it. Not as 'fun' as film, I don't why.

How do you like the Mk. VIII as compared with the Mk. VII? Jack Dell once said to me, "You try to improve everything, but sometimes you don't succeed."

Isn't Mike Walker a nice guy?

And sub-mins? Um... Er... Yes... Well... I still have a Minolta 16-II (my first ever sub-min, $28 in the PX in 1967, a tenner in real money) but I cannot remember the last time I used it. All my other sub-mins are gone. Oh: except my Chadt.

Cheers,

R.

RichL
04-21-2011, 05:48
I always have a minox III with me. Probably avg. 2 shots a day with it.

migtex
04-21-2011, 11:41
What was the question?
ah yes! No, I do not want to know....
an Yamato Pal 4 with all lens and viewfinders just show up on the door...

All are mission ready BTW.

cameosis
04-21-2011, 14:30
m3, m4, m5, mp
zorki 4k

will buy a fed 2, and then i'm set in the realms of small format cameras.

kram
04-23-2011, 12:29
Roger, I blame your large format book getting into MPPs, and the XL. If I had never read it, I would have been quite content wit my Mamiya 7.

MPP VII verses MPP VIII. The 8 has some good improvements (e.g. lens board release) but handling wise, I prefer the 7. If only the 8 was constructed to the same standard as the 7.

When I saw Mike last time, I had an interesting talk about the proposed large format pin-hole cameras he is building. Not really my cup of tea, but very interesting.

Do you only have one Leica now, the MP, or have you still got the M3 (or was it the M2?)

Roger Hicks
04-23-2011, 14:29
Roger, I blame your large format book getting into MPPs, and the XL. If I had never read it, I would have been quite content wit my Mamiya 7.

MPP VII verses MPP VIII. The 8 has some good improvements (e.g. lens board release) but handling wise, I prefer the 7. If only the 8 was constructed to the same standard as the 7.

When I saw Mike last time, I had an interesting talk about the proposed large format pin-hole cameras he is building. Not really my cup of tea, but very interesting.

Do you only have one Leica now, the MP, or have you still got the M3 (or was it the M2?)

Absolutely!

As for Leicas, I still have MP, M4-P, M2, M8, M9.And my very first Leica, a IIIa.

Cheers,

R.

Vickko
04-23-2011, 14:49
Eighteen. Hmmmm. Feels like too many.

(6) Leica: KE-7A, M6-2000, M9, IIIg, R6.2, R9/DMR

(3) Nikon: F-Std ELF, F2-DE1, SP

(1) Canon 7

(3) Hasseblad 501cm, 203FE, SWC

(1) Rolleiflex 2.8F Aurum

(2) Folders: Voigtlander Bessa II, Zeiss Super Ikonta 531/2

(1) Linhof Tech Master

(1) Panasonic GF1

akk2
04-23-2011, 14:58
About 11~15, not sure.

DougK
04-23-2011, 19:56
Not nearly as many as I used to. I took a couple of years off from photography and purged a good deal of my collection. Now I'm down to a relative handful:

Bessa R
Olympus XA
Sigma SA-7n SLR
Fuji Natura S Black
Lubitel 166U TLR
Seagull TLR
Olympus C-7070WZ digital camera
Canon Vixia HF200 camcorder
iPhone 3GS

I've thought about trying to get down to just one camera and one lens, but I'm not sure that will ever actually happen.

Vickko
04-24-2011, 20:45
Seventeen, and a significant amount of cognitive dissonance is lifted. Adios R9/DMR, you were breaking my back.

Seventeen. Hmmmm. Feels like too many.

(6) Leica: KE-7A, M6-2000, M9, IIIg, R6.2

(3) Nikon: F-Std ELF, F2-DE1, SP

(1) Canon 7

(3) Hasseblad 501cm, 203FE, SWC

(1) Rolleiflex 2.8F Aurum

(2) Folders: Voigtlander Bessa II, Zeiss Super Ikonta 531/2

(1) Linhof Tech Master

(1) Panasonic GF1

julianphotoart
04-24-2011, 22:13
Fifty-five, of which 52 are film

sreed2006
08-20-2011, 07:52
There was an older man who lived with some GAS
He had so many cameras, he couldn't just let one pass
He fed them some film without any light
Stuck them away, and called it a night.

bwcolor
08-20-2011, 10:08
Great thread.. I no longer think that I must get rid of some cameras. All of you have put me to shame. That said, I never keep more than 1/3 of my cameras in any one place for fear that my wife will figure things out. She loves to throw things out. A few days ago she suggested that I put all my cameras on our king size bed. That told me that my hiding scheme has worked. A single bed... that is funny.

Roger Hicks
08-20-2011, 10:34
Thanks for reviving this. I'd forgotten how funny it was.

Cheers,

R.

nikon_sam
08-20-2011, 11:03
Okay, since my last post in this thread I've added...
Pentax Spotmatic SP
Mamiya m645 (to replace one that was slowly dieing)
Olympus 35SP
Nikon F
Vivitar 400/SL (M42 thread)

All of them function...for now I'll be using the Vivitar in place of the Spotmatic SP for the brighter viewfinder when using the slower lenses...the Spotmatic with the 50mm 1.4 lens is fine... but when I mount the 28 or 35 in 3.5 it gets a little too dark...

Frank Petronio
08-20-2011, 11:08
At the moment, a Fuji GW690III; Pany G1/20mm; Nikon N80/50mm; Droid; SX-70....

But this can be entertaining if you're a geek:

http://frankpetronio.com/archive/the_cameraholic_revisited.html

Have owned approximately 150 cameras over 28 years, that's only five per year ;-)

lilmsmaggie
09-23-2011, 13:51
After selling and/or trading four cameras, as of next week I will have 7: 3 Canons, 1 Minolta X-700, Mamiya 7ii, Chamonix 45n-2 and a Leica M5 ;)

taskoni
09-23-2011, 14:03
Looks like I am the only one who have told the wife how many cameras actually owe...
Maybe that's why I have only a few:
Leica M2, R7, III, X1
Rolleicord Va

Brian Legge
09-23-2011, 14:06
I'm (very slowly) filtering this down.

Looking at what I've used recently:

- One low light capable camera / lens (Lynx 14)
- One Barnack LTM body because I love the size and handling (Leica IIIc currently)
- One LTM compatible body for wide angle lenses (Canon P)
- One small camera with automatic exposure (Not decided)
- One 35mm SLR for longer lenses, macro, etc (Nikon F4s)
- One 120 SLR for wider angle lenses than folders/TLRs (Bronica SQA)
- One TLR because they're just fun to use and awesome in general (Autocord).
- One 120 folder (not decided) for a more compact body.

Now, going beyond that, there are some cameras which I enjoy using but don't have a specific roll like the Retina IIIc, various small rangefinders, etc. Same thing with 50mm lenses. Those probably push me out of core user into collector. I'm slowly becoming okay acknowledging that. ;)

That said, I'm hitting another purge point right now of all the stuff I haven't really used much at all so hopefully I'll be down a few more cameras/lenses soon. I had a goal of getting this under control by the end of the year and I'm not on track yet. ;)

J. Borger
09-23-2011, 14:09
No problem: 3!
Leica M4 and M6. Hasselblad 503 CW.
What more would i need??

jon.oman
09-25-2011, 10:20
Nikon D70
Nikon D700
Nikon D2x
8x10 Cambo Legend
4x5 Shen-Hao
4x5 Calumet
8x10 home made pinhole
4x5 home made pinhole
24x72 home made pinhole

That's it!

Brian Puccio
09-25-2011, 12:35
M6. iPhone.

greylensman
10-03-2011, 14:20
I tend to get two of a kind. 2 Medium format (one 6x7, one 6x6). Two Olympus OM2's (one OM2, one OM2n). Two digital systems (one Canon 60D, one Olympus E-PL2). Two EOS 1 film (one 1n, one 1v). Two Yashica Electros (one off for CLA, one working). Two Canon rangefinders (one VI-L, one P).

How many lenses... 18 that aren't build in the camera. The EOS system shares four or five, the rangefinders have 6...

Roger Hicks
10-03-2011, 14:27
Looks like I am the only one who have told the wife how many cameras actually owe...
Maybe that's why I have only a few:
Leica M2, R7, III, X1
Rolleicord Va

Well, not really. My wife's a photographer too, and knows what cameras are and what they do (take a look at the website). Also, we've never had enough money for either of us to buy anything expensive without the other's approval -- which may be why we have no debts.

Cheers,

R.

StillKicking
10-03-2011, 14:39
I try not to think about it..

Leica M2 (1962)
Leica M3 (1955)
Leica M3 ELC (1956)
Rolleiflex 3.5 B Tessar
Yashica MAT 124 G
Nikon F100
Nikon D90

too many..?

f/1,4
10-03-2011, 14:45
Down to 14 by now after a major clean out.

jsrockit
10-04-2011, 05:33
M9, X100, Nikon EM, and a Pentax K1000

Steve M.
10-04-2011, 06:05
I am down to 4, all 35mm. 2 fixed lens, scale focus cameras w/ normal lenses, 1 rangefinder w/ another 50, and 1 SLR w/ a normal lens and an 80 200 zoom.

That will be changing as another SLR w/ 50 lens is on it's way here. I had to set a price point to put my gear buying into hibernation, so if the total cost of my gear reaches a certain point, then something has to go to make room for it. It's the only thing that's worked for my camera swapping ways.

Derwent
10-24-2011, 22:53
I think about thirty or so....been a while since I did a count and I know I've bought a few since then....
4 Contaflexes I think, 4 EOS Canons and a couple of other assorted Canons, I think 4 M42 SLRS, couple of Voigtlanders, 3 I think, a few other rangefinders like a Konica, Yashica etc...and of course my Rolleicord!
Theres an SX70 Sonar Polaroid in there too...jus found a shop stocking Impossible SX70 film!
Thinking of downsizing a bit and getting a 4x5" with the proceeds...

kievman
10-24-2011, 23:33
I lost track a long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! but hey since I buy cameras to resell them I guess thats OK. In my estimation One can not have enough cameras!!!!!!!!!!! Kievman

Frontman
10-25-2011, 00:24
More than 100, maybe more than 150... :confused: