PDA

View Full Version : Buying the same camera twice

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 01:40
Sell a camera (or lens)... Realize you miss it... Buy another the same. Surprisingly many RFF members seem to regard this as the norm. Why? Who else has never done it, and who makes a habit of it?

The only time I've done it was with a 135/2.8 Elmarit-M, because it was so much better on an M8 than on film. If I found a 58/1.4 Nikkor I might consider it, or a 150/6.3 Tessar, but even then, I doubt it. I sold both 30 years ago, but I've never really missed them that much.

Of course there have been times I've bought a camera cheap, to swap or sell on (my last M3, for example), but that's not quite the same thing.

Cheers,

R.

Austerby
03-27-2011, 01:50
Agree entirely: I've often noted correspondents here describing how they have had multiple copies of the same model. I've owned several different M Leicas but never the same model more than once.

fixbones
03-27-2011, 01:52
Since I started shooting film, I have sold:

Nikon D700 and lens, Konica Hexar AF, ZI, Zeiss 50 C Sonnar, CV 28mm f3.5.

So far, no longing to revisit all those gears........ yet

ReeRay
03-27-2011, 02:05
Frequently reminisced but always avoided the temptation.

Pickett Wilson
03-27-2011, 02:23
I've bought again a couple of cameras I owned years ago out of nostalgia, but you really can't go home again. Contrary to my memory of how great they were, in reality they were just old, clunky cameras.

HuubL
03-27-2011, 02:35
I'm a shooting collector. I sometimes get two of the same, keep the nicest and sell the other. The only M I've two of is the M4. Can't decide to keep the Cla'd one with the original levers or the very late one with the M3 style levers...:)

Jamie123
03-27-2011, 02:42
I never thought I would buy the same camera twice but coincidentally I'm just about to do it. I used to have an extensive Hasselblad kit but sold it when I bought a 5DII. For a while I had a Bessa III to replace it but sold that too a while ago. I was about to replace it with a Mamiya RZ system but then recently a photographer offered me his 'old' (it's actually quite recent) Hasselblad kit as payment. I thought long and hard about it and finally accepted as it is really still my favourite from all the cameras I've used as far as handling and results are concerned.

user237428934
03-27-2011, 02:44
Bought an M8, sold it after some time, a year later I bought one again. I don't collect things and I can't stand it when something lies around and is not used. Space in my apartment is too limited to have something that is not used. The consequence is that I buy something a 2nd time from time to time.

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 02:53
I've bought again a couple of cameras I owned years ago out of nostalgia, but you really can't go home again. Contrary to my memory of how great they were, in reality they were just old, clunky cameras.

I can relate to that. My first ever decent camera was a Pentax SV, but it was written off 30+ years ago when some cretin drove into the side of my motorcycle at almost zero mph. I wasn't hurt, but the camera (in a soft saddlebag) was written off. A few years later I was given a black one. I still think it's a beautiful camera, with superb ergonomics, the nearest SLR ever to a screw-mount Leica. But do I use it? Um... Errr.. Not as such. Why would I, when I have other cameras that do the same job better?

Age may also be a factor. When I was young, I used to buy and sell cameras all the time, though the real users (Leica Ms, Nikon Fs) stayed. I haven't sold much for years (except an M2 to Cam -- how many Ms do you need?) Even so, I'm tempted to sell some of my 4x5 inch cameras. one of my 5x7s, the 12x15 and maybe some MF as well, because I could probably just about afford another M9 if I did. At least, I'd get in sight of the price...

Cheers,

R.

mfunnell
03-27-2011, 03:06
I've bought the same camera twice, well, twice. Both times with good reason. I bought an OM-4T to replace my beloved but stolen OM-4. I bought a second Hexar RF so I'll have a spare should one break, given the repair situation (both get regular use to make sure they're operational).

Aside from those, no. I do, however, have multiple (different) camera bodies within the same camera system. I have an M3 as well as the Hexar RFs. I have an EOS 30V, 30D, 5D and 50D and so forth.

...Mike

Jamie123
03-27-2011, 03:09
Bought an M8, sold it after some time, a year later I bought one again. I don't collect things and I can't stand it when something lies around and is not used. Space in my apartment is too limited to have something that is not used. The consequence is that I buy something a 2nd time from time to time.

I agree wholeheartedly. Nothing worse than having a camera lie around not getting used. Not just because of the space they take up but it's also money tied up in a paper weight. If you sell it at a good price you can always buy it again later at the same price.

dee
03-27-2011, 03:17
Maybe this is where , for the most part , Photography parts company with Collecting .
I have never sold a camera and bought another the same , in terms of considered snapshots .
Though I have added a couple of SRTs / XD7s in the past !

Of course , in respect of ex-USSR lenses , selling one to buy another ' identical ' is nigh on impossible LOL .

However , I do gain some respite from the noise of Autism through my many near identical Kontaxes , Minolta SRTs , Zorki group , Fed group , reclaimed Prinzflex STTLs [ 1st camera ] Weston meters etc .

It does not even fit with the usual creating a set of versions as I like ' same again ' or just minor differences . But this has very little to do with taking photographs whereby one Kontax II or IV / Leica IIIc or II / and various digital cameras form a core of equipment .

John Lawrence
03-27-2011, 03:18
I've never done this.

There have been times when I've felt the need for a particular camera (or lens) I used to own, either through nostalgia or because it would have been ideal for the shoot I was undertaking at the time, but then I always remind myself of why I sold that camera in the first place.

If anything, rather than seller's remorse I suffer from owner's regret - I wish I'd had the cameras I now have twenty or thirty years ago!

John

Rob-F
03-27-2011, 04:35
I bought a 50/1.5 Summarit, and a 35/2.8 Summaron years ago. Traded the Summaron for a Summicron, and the Summarit for whatever. I wanted to try the summarit again; and missed the Summaron terribly. Now I have them both again. Also sold an M3 and bought another years later. The M3 isn't getting much more use now than the first one did. I'm more of an M2 guy.

My Leica R gear may go if I don't start using it.

Matus
03-27-2011, 04:47
I have not sold all that much cameras up to now: Rolleiflex T, Olympus XA, Bessa R3A + J3. While I do not plan to buy any of them in the near future, I could very well imagine that if my time allowance for the photography changes in the future, I could as well get the Rolleiflex again and sell all the rest. The Rolleiflex T is a great camera - nice to use, reliable and delivers beautiful results. With the single lens it helps to keep things simple. Right now I use Mamiya 6 as main camera.

If I ever sell my 4x5 the chance that I will buy it again will be low. So I hesitate to sell it even though I used it very little in the last half a year.

Phantomas
03-27-2011, 04:58
Never. I don't like to play with cameras, I only like to use them. If a camera doesn't suit me for some reason (and that happened maybe on two occasions) I pass it on and move on. I don't sell my gear on a whim and do my research sufficiently before spending money so it has to be really unsuitable for me to sell it, after which I have no reasons left to go back.
I actually can't understand all this buying/selling/buying again business. Maybe coz I prefer shooting to playing around.

Brian Sweeney
03-27-2011, 05:06
I have sold some equipment to RFF members with the understanding that if THEY want to sell the item, I want to buy it back. The only reason I sell some of the stuff is because someone asked for it.

Mackinaw
03-27-2011, 06:16
I've only done this with with the M3. Bought my first one back in 1978 then sold it a few years later. Bought another one in the late 1980's and, again, sold it a few years later. I bought my current M3 in 1995. This one I'll keep until I die.

Jim B.

thegman
03-27-2011, 06:26
Never done it, but I've briefly considered it with the Mamiya 7, I sold it as I just didn't like it. Now I have a Hasselblad, I miss it's light weight, so occasionally I've mused getting one again, but I doubt I ever would actually go through with it. The Hasselblad is a pain to carry around, but a much nicer camera to use I think.

rbiemer
03-27-2011, 06:35
I have done it. And felt a bit foolish about it at the time.
I bought a Bessa R from our head bartender, used it for a while, (this is the foolish bit coming up) thought I'd got all I could from it and sold it, decided that I had made a mistake and bought another one from Stephen.
Now that I have mostly sorted out what works for me and what I like to use, the R will be sticking around even though I most often use my R2A lately.
Yes, I can and do use almost all of my LTM lenses on the R2A with no trouble but I'm keeping the R. It makes a good second to the R2A on the rare occasions when I want to carry two bodies.
Other than that first R, I don't really want to duplicate any of the other cameras I've owned.
Rob

Pastor Chris
03-27-2011, 06:46
I am in the process; I was once given the sage advice, "Never sell your M3, you'll regret it" Well, the M3 was the last of the items to sell to fund my M8, which, after 2 weeks, developed the dreaded "red line" issue. During the 3 months it was at Leica, I regretted selling the M3 even more. Well, Leica fixed it, and some other problems, under warranty, for a camera that was out of warranty, and it is finally back in fantastic shape. "Good things come to those that wait" said my dealer. That is indeed true. But I still miss my M3 and my M6, while a fantastic camera, just does not fill that hole. On the hunt for another M3 at the right price/time. So, never sell your M3, you'll regret it! (Yes, I know that this is all a hopeless addiction, have pity on me.)

sreed2006
03-27-2011, 06:51
When I moved to a smaller place 10 years ago, I tossed in the trash the rear cap for my lens and the body cap for my camera because I never used them - the lens was always on the camera. Also, the boxes the lens and camera came in got tossed.

I've regretted that stupid move, especially when buying those caps again. Now, I keep everything - even the boxes.

After GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is TUMS (Time to Unload My Stuff). I'm still in the GAS phase, and don't really expect to reach a TUMS phase. I'll let my kids do that when I am gone.

Stuart John
03-27-2011, 06:52
Canon EOS 100 I trade for an EOS1 and then a year later bought an EOS100 from a friend. N90s I bought while working as a cruiseship photographer. Sold the camera to another photog on board and then bought another a few years later. Then traded the N90s a few months after I bought it for a Nikkor 105 2.5 and an F801. Haven't traded or sold any photogear for a few years now but getting close to make some changes.

cosmonaut
03-27-2011, 07:08
I am in the process; I was once given the sage advice, "Never sell your M3, you'll regret it" Well, the M3 was the last of the items to sell to fund my M8, which, after 2 weeks, developed the dreaded "red line" issue. During the 3 months it was at Leica, I regretted selling the M3 even more. Well, Leica fixed it, and some other problems, under warranty, for a camera that was out of warranty, and it is finally back in fantastic shape. "Good things come to those that wait" said my dealer. That is indeed true. But I still miss my M3 and my M6, while a fantastic camera, just does not fill that hole. On the hunt for another M3 at the right price/time. So, never sell your M3, you'll regret it! (Yes, I know that this is all a hopeless addiction, have pity on me.)

Yep, I am soon to be in the market for one. Sold one and regret it. Really the only regret I have.

Steve M.
03-27-2011, 07:09
Aside from realizing I'd made a mistake selling a particular camera/lens and buying another like it later, there's always the question of condition. Some times you know that your camera is just a lemon, so it's better to sell it and start w/ another one that's in better condition, than to throw a bunch of money at it trying to get it right. And isn't there an old saying that says you don't really miss someone until they're gone? W/ gear, you can go back home again. Maybe you won't be any different later, maybe you will be, but that gear will continue to take the same type of shots that it used to.

I have known people that have sold their home and realized they'd made a HUGE mistake and later bought it back. Others just wished they hadn't sold it and suffered, which to me sounded really stupid. If you made a mistake, correct it if you can. Don't grouse about it or, worse, pretend you're infallible.

Never did the house thing, but I have moved back to towns that I'd left earlier because I, and the town, were different than the times we'd spent together in the past. That's quite different than in Tom Wolfe's novel. Sometimes going back to what worked in the past is an act of change because conditions are different.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". Wish I'd said that, but it was Emerson.

back alley
03-27-2011, 07:32
i do it with lenses all the time...so?

damien.murphy
03-27-2011, 09:11
Sold and re-bought a Nikon D50, back when I was only shooting dslr's, after I realised the Nikon D200 it left me with was too heavy for all-day walkabout use and general travel.

In more recent times, sold an M6 which had been my first M, and would re-buy it. I had an M4 at the time, and didn't think I would miss the black body of the M6 for it's general inconspicuousness, or the 28mm frameline.

Had some passing afterthoughts, down the line, after selling other cameras, but nothing that couldn't be brushed off.

I tend to know what I like in the film world, which is rangefinders and 6x6, thus many of my camera purchases in recent times are more part of an overarching search to find the perfect fit for my needs. A lofty, and perhaps pointless goal, but I guess that's the little engineer part of my mind, ever seeking continual, if only incremental, improvement :)

The Dark
03-27-2011, 09:32
Sold my trusty Nikon FE2 when I got my hands on a minty FM2n. Only then I realized that the FE2 was a better camera in actual use. Bought another one not long after.

raid
03-27-2011, 09:43
I don't have two identical RF cameras, but I still own two Canon T90 and two Canon F1N cameras. They were my work horses for many years. I wanted a back-up camera, in case one would need repair. The only lenses for which I have multiple copies are 50mm lenses: CZJ 5cm, J-3, J-8, Canon 50/1.8. They just came to me.

f16sunshine
03-27-2011, 09:44
M8 was the first. I traded it for a 5Deisel ii that I needed for an ongoing job. The job finished and now the Deisel sits until work calls for it but, I have my old M8 back. It came back via a trade with the same forum member for a different camera I don't miss this time :D
Next was a Rolleiflex E3 planar. I sweated that one for months even though I have a great pair of Yashicamats. Now I have a pair of Rolleiflex f2.8D's and a tele-rolleiflex. I'm hooked on Square. Actually even compose for square crops with my M8. Honestly can say that GAS is gone.

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 09:49
i do it with lenses all the time...so?

Exactly the same lens? Why? (None of my business, I'm just curious).

Cheers,

R.

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 10:29
Roger, I wonder why this is surprising to you? To a great extent humans are products of the spirit of the age in which they live; for no one can jump over his own shadow! Our time period is proof that there is no limit to what a human can want to have, even here on RFF it is often cited as a truism that no one is ever "done" in terms of gear acquisition. We live in an acquisitive time, a time where we are to a great extent defined by our consumption and our capability to serve our desires. But you are sharp and know this. Hence, I am somewhat surprised at the question being posed by you. Perhaps I am misreading the sense of the question? :)

Dear Thomas,

Acquisitiveness is indeed a defining condition of the early 21st century. What puzzles me is why people want to acquire the same thing, repeatedly and at intervals.

Try it; move on. This I can understand, sort of. Try it; decide you don't like it; decide you were wrong; buy it again. This strikes me as a personal shortcoming: you don't really think hard enough about how you spray your money around.

Of course one can make mistakes, and one can replace kit that was destroyed, or buy a second body. But to make a habit of buying and selling identical equipment suggests to me that one has more money than sense. Note the phrase "make a habit of". Several here have made cogent arguments for re-buying. But to sell with the view "I can always go back to it later" is another matter.

This is all the more true with rare or exotic gear. I have had two Linhof-selected 2,8/100 Planars. One came with an Linhof ST IV when I first got into 'baby' Linhofs, and went when I sold the ST IV. The second came later with a Tech 70, which was a better camera for me, but the lens wasn't as good as the first.

Cheers,

R.

gdmcclintock
03-27-2011, 10:37
I sold a couple of lenses and my Rolleiflex that I was not using when I saw a "want to by" notice on RFF. I can live without the lenses but as I missed photographing with a Rolleiflex, I recently purchased another one from eBay, not as nice as the one I sold, but very much like my first one and a very good deal.

I have other lenses and cameras that I do not use very much and tell myself to sell them as I cannot afford to be a collector and don't have a nice display cabinet. What to do?

Brian Sweeney
03-27-2011, 10:47
Exactly the same lens? Why? (None of my business, I'm just curious).

Cheers,

R.

Older lenses, such as the pre-war Sonnars, tend to have a lot of sample variation. Some are sharper than others, some are smoother than others. I currently have 3 pre-war Sonnars In Leica thread mount. One of them is from 1935, and has a coated front element. I thought it might have been coated after manufacture, but stumbled across a second one just like it- in the same SN range. Now, I think it was a test run. It also is quite sharp, so I will keep it.

f16sunshine
03-27-2011, 10:51
Dear Roger

Some of us can only afford to try one thing at a time. If we buy something, try it, and then have a doubt which becomes a desire to try something else... The original item must be sold first. Then if our doubt is proven wrong reversing course is often the answer. The personality flaw you infer may come from an incorrect assumption. Not everyone on this forum has the ability financially to do as you do. I'm not assuming you are a wealthy man I don't know this neither is it my business. You do work for a publication that grants you liberties that the some of the rest of us must find via other methods. Makes sense yes?

back alley
03-27-2011, 10:56
..But to make a habit of buying and selling identical equipment suggests to me that one has more money than sense....

believe me i have little money to throw around...for some of us THIS IS A HOBBY! is this hard to fathom for some people? due to a number of factors, i spend more time on rff than shooting...it is not my preference but it is my life.

or maybe roger, you are just an old judgemental fart looking to troll the hiways of the internet?

raid
03-27-2011, 11:02
Older lenses, such as the pre-war Sonnars, tend to have a lot of sample variation. Some are sharper than others, some are smoother than others. I currently have 3 pre-war Sonnars In Leica thread mount. One of them is from 1935, and has a coated front element. I thought it might have been coated after manufacture, but stumbled across a second one just like it- in the same SN range. Now, I think it was a test run. It also is quite sharp, so I will keep it.

Exactly; that's why I have variations of CZJ and of J-3 lenses.

Krosya
03-27-2011, 11:08
or maybe roger, you are just an old judgemental fart looking to troll the hiways of the internet?

Hmmmmm - let me get a beer and see where this goes.........:eek:

skibeerr
03-27-2011, 11:09
Roger, for us who entered the game quite recently, the number of good and relatively cheap (film)cameras and lenses available on the market combined with the abundance of advice, from (to) many sources, on what to buy is confusing to say the least.

I have been buying and selling rather intensive but now I am starting to get an idea of the work I want to do things settle.

@ Andy, and how does it work?

ChrisPlatt
03-27-2011, 11:13
Not all of us are immutable and fixed in time. Our tastes change.
Our appreciation of something may grow after we forsake it.
Call it nostalgia or call it wisdom...

Chris

kehng
03-27-2011, 11:27
I reluctantly traded my m8, 24mm elmarit, 28mm biogon and M7 to finance my M9 last year. i recently got another m7 as i missed shooting film although it is unlikely that i will get another M8, 24mm elmarit (although i still look at images i got with this lens fondly) or 28mm biogon though.

newspaperguy
03-27-2011, 11:41
Let me offer a weird one: I bought a Rollei MX at an AFEX in France in 1953.

Used it heavily, and traded it in at Chicago's Central Camera Co. in 1956.

Bought a used MX at a shop in Bloomington, Indiana in 1958...

Yep - the same damn camera.

Dumb me section: I've sold and then replaced, at least six Barnacks.

DNG
03-27-2011, 11:45
Only with one camera,
I bought one (or should I say traded + cash) back in the earlies 80, it was an M5 with a 35mm Cron (Germany). I sold it a few months later realizing I couldn't afford it (more lenses). I didn't think about Canon LTM the time. :bang:

I just "Re-Bought" it (The same model), a little over a year ago. So I waited 31 years to have my favorite M back. This time 'round, I got one with the M6 VF frame upgrade (NOT the RF)..
All is good :D

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 12:21
..But to make a habit of buying and selling identical equipment suggests to me that one has more money than sense....

believe me i have little money to throw around...for some of us THIS IS A HOBBY! is this hard to fathom for some people? due to a number of factors, i spend more time on rff than shooting...it is not my preference but it is my life.

I don't think so (but then, I wouldn't, would I?)

Even so, I stand by 'making a habit' and 'identical equipment'.

Many people have provided perfectly reasonable examples of why they have done it sometimes. But seriously, anyone who buys a Hasselblad 500C outfit . . . and trades it . . . and buys another . . . and trades it . . . and buys another . . . and does the same with (let's say) Nikon Fs, or Leica Ms, or Olympus OM1s; and regards this as normal behaviour, well, this strikes me as a pretty weird hobby. Again, note the words IDENTICAL and MAKING A HABIT.

Sure, trying one outfit after another, in search of what you want, makes perfect sense, as Skibeer (among others) points out. But if a Hasselblad doesn't suit you . . . or an RB67 . . . or a Mamiya 7 . . . I can just about understand going back to Hasselblad once, but making the same mistake three times in a row does strike me as mightily odd.

Apparently it strikes others as odd too. I'm also surprised at a moderator calling me a judgemental old fart and accusing me of trolling.

And to f/16sunshine, no, I don't work for any publication. I'm a freelance. Before that, for many years, I was a pure amateur. Even as an amateur, I never bought the same camera twice, though (like others here) I sometyimes bought different models of the same camera (E.g. MPP Mk. III, VI, VIII, Leica M2, M3, M4-P)). If a camera did what I wanted, I stuck with it. If it didn't, I chopped it in against something else. But if it didn't do what I wanted, why would I re-buy it?

Cheers,

R.

back alley
03-27-2011, 12:28
it was a question roger...notice the question mark at the end of sentence?

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 12:35
it was a question roger...notice the question mark at the end of sentence?

Perhaps not the most happily phrased question. Suppose I say to someone, "Or perhaps you're a brain-dead bigot?" To me, this suggests that I might entertain the possibility that they are a brain-dead bigot.

To be sure, body language, facial expressions, etc., are lost on the internet, and I apologize for misunderstanding you; but I think you would agree that the misunderstanding was, well, understandable...

Cheers,

R.

NormanV
03-27-2011, 12:37
Oh God, this is embarassing. Back in the 1970s I had a Contax II, paid Ģ30 for it. I took some of my best pictures with it. Now that I have more disposable income I thought I would relive my past and bought one, bad idea! I have spent Ģ400 having it refurbished and it does not match my memory of what I had back then.
I used to love my Yashicamat and then my Rolleiflex Automat so I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8C. Great camera but now I hate the handling so I sold it, fortunately at a profit. I used to have a Mamiya RB67, one of the few cameras that I have bought new. Had to sell it when I was broke. Bought another 3 years ago, hardly ever use it but when I do it does everything that I could wish for. I have now completed my revisiting of old memories so I can now search new avenues. It has been expensive but has rid me of desire to relive my past.

back alley
03-27-2011, 12:38
oh, don't get me wrong...i do think that you are judgemental and quite harsh about it too.

you slip little digs into your posts that are hurtful to others. i assume you think it's clever.
it really is a pity as many around here look to you for guidance.

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 12:49
oh, don't get me wrong...i do think that you are judgemental and quite harsh about it too.

you slip little digs into your posts that are hurtful to others. i assume you think it's clever.
it really is a pity as many around here look to you for guidance.

Are you saying, then, that you did intend to insult me? If so, as I said before, it strikes me as strange behaviour for a moderator.

Little digs? Not exactly sly, nor slipped in: I stated my viewpoint, and then tried to clarify it.

Hurtful? There's an old saying that nothing hurts like the truth. Would you deny that buying exactly the same camera, multiple times, is something that many would regard as strange, and worth asking a question about?

Many others have given a wide range of answers, which I appreciate. As far as I can see, you are the only one to have taken offence.

Incidentally, no, I don't think I'm clever. I know I'm reasonably intelligent; I know I'm fairly knowledgeable; and I know I'm not always wise.

Cheees,

R.

DanOnRoute66
03-27-2011, 12:54
I have multiple copies of some items from time to time but only because I sometimes buy large lots of gear that have an item or two that I want and then I sell off the rest to recover some (sometimes all) of what I paid for the lot. For example, I once bought a lot of Jupiter-8 and Jupiter-8M lenses to get a nice one from 1957; the rest are up for sale.

The only thing I regret selling and then bought back was an Olympus OM-4T that I sold in the summer of 2008. A few months ago I bought a replacement. The more recent is actually much nicer; it's the black paint whereas the earlier one was in the crummy champaigne finish that probably began flaking off 15 minutes after it came out of the box.

I do have one exception to the non-duplication rule: My first OM was a 1N in chrome that I bought in 1983. I "retired" it to the shelf recently when I acquired a really nice black OM-1N.

back alley
03-27-2011, 12:56
no insult is intended...just speaking my truth.
buying and selling is the norm here, nothing strange about it at all. as was previously stated by another, some of us do not have the money to keep and compare so we sell and compare and sometimes buy again. as for being hurtful to me...don't confuse my comments with being hurt...i believe that i am about as crusty as you are.
as to offense being taken...again i am not offended personally...but i do believe that i speak for some who do not speak for themselves.

no matter..your tricks will not change...old dogs etc.

Pablito
03-27-2011, 13:01
If I'm going to use something for work, I almost always have to have more than one of them because I need to have backup. But if I buy something and decide it does not work for me, I get rid of it and never buy it again.

Jamie123
03-27-2011, 13:04
Of course one can make mistakes, and one can replace kit that was destroyed, or buy a second body. But to make a habit of buying and selling identical equipment suggests to me that one has more money than sense.[/I]

Not sure your reasoning is right here. Often when people sell something it's because they need the money to buy something else. People with more money then sense can afford to just keep stuff around they don't use often.
While I personally don't make a habit of buying and selling the same stuff I do think it makes some sense to do so with used equipment. Many used camera items hold their value pretty well on the used market so, other than the time and work you're putting into buying and selling, you aren't wasting much if anything by selling them and buying the same ones later.

Pablito
03-27-2011, 13:12
Never. I don't like to play with cameras, I only like to use them. If a camera doesn't suit me for some reason (and that happened maybe on two occasions) I pass it on and move on. I don't sell my gear on a whim and do my research sufficiently before spending money so it has to be really unsuitable for me to sell it, after which I have no reasons left to go back.
I actually can't understand all this buying/selling/buying again business. Maybe coz I prefer shooting to playing around.

Yeah. And as for selling it if you're not using it, only to buy it again later if you need it again - or the concept of having money "tied up" in a camera... What about the time and effort of finding it again once you decide you want to use it again? I, for one, do not enjoy that. If it suits, I keep it even if it goes unused for a while.

gb hill
03-27-2011, 13:15
I can think of a few reasons for obtaining a lens or camera that I sold off years or perhaps months ago. Some grow tired of the digital SLR & wish to jump back into film so they go back to with what they had.

Perhaps a certain lens is sold off because they didn't like the rendering or feel it had with a certain camera, then later find out that the same lens works marvously with that new M8, RD-1, or 4/3rds camera that the former seller recently bought so they pick up another. It's in our nature...no big deal to me!

lawnpotter
03-27-2011, 13:15
I sold my Olympus Stylus Epic for $30.00. And decided to go digital. Two days later I missed my OLY and I now have 3. I dont do digital anymore except for if I want to sell something. Sometimes you dont know what you got untill its gone. I bought and sold 3 digital point and shoots and dont miss any of them.

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 13:20
If I'm going to use something for work, I almost always have to have more than one of them because I need to have backup. But if I buy something and decide it does not work for me, I get rid of it and never buy it again.

In both cases, yes, sure. To clarify my original point:

I am not surprised at anyone buying a backup.

I am not surprised at anyone selling one camera to buy another.

I am not surprised that people sometimes sell something and then buy the same thing later when they realize they've made a mistake.

I am not surprised at anyone buying for nostalgia.

I am not surprised that stuff comes in lots: in order to get A, you buy B, C and D, and them sell them (preferably at a profit).

I am not surprised when people's circumstances or needs change. A camera that was of limited use in the past may come into its own for a different project.

What does surprise me is that some people apparently buy into a system; decide it doesn't work for them; sell it; buy another; sell it; buy another; and then, for exactly the same purpose as they bought their first outfit, with no real change in their circumstances, buy the outfit that didn't work for them the first time. Still more surprising to me is that they don't see anything odd in this, even when they do it repeatedly.

I am also surprised at people who assume that if they want something back, after they've sold it, they can buy the same thing again. Most of us here use more old cameras and lenses than new ones, Finding a good replacement for a good, old lens can often prove problematical, and besides, there's a simple question: why did they sell it in the first place?

There are only two answers. One is that they needed the money (and again, most of us have been there) and the other is that it wasn't actually a lens they really wanted/needed anyway.

Cheers,

R.

Roger Hicks
03-27-2011, 13:33
Not sure your reasoning is right here. Often when people sell something it's because they need the money to buy something else. People with more money then sense can afford to just keep stuff around they don't use often.
While I personally don't make a habit of buying and selling the same stuff I do think it makes some sense to do so with used equipment. Many used camera items hold their value pretty well on the used market so, other than the time and work you're putting into buying and selling, you aren't wasting much if anything by selling them and buying the same ones later.

Yes, but why are you buying and selling?

I used to buy and sell cameras a lot, but I could only ever see two reasons for doing it.

One was to make a profit (usually, to put towards something I really wanted). The other was to try something I'd not tried before. It was never to try something again that I'd already tried once and rejected.

But I never treated the used camera market like a rental bank. The sheer hassle of buying and selling, and the uncertainty of getting something as good as you sold, strikes me as too much trouble.

Cheers,

R.

wlewisiii
03-27-2011, 13:35
I've done it occasionally. Worst was the OM-1 - I've bought one three times thinking I really should like it but I just can't stand the shutter speed ring. I dislike certain Nikkormats for the same reason.

I get tempted to replace a couple of previously owned cameras - Canon T90, Kiev 5, Bessa R - but for the most part I have moved on and the cameras I have better suit my needs these days.

OTOH, I did once have a Zeiss Ikonta that I sold a couple of years ago and after it had passed through a number of other owners, I bought it back last fall. That's a much more entertaining way of doing it.

ottluuk
03-27-2011, 13:38
In a small town, boy meets a country girl and they fall in love. Somewhat later the boy meets an older woman from the city who seduces said boy with riches and glamour. Boy leaves girl and dives into the the corrupt nightlife of the city.

Soon the boy realizes his terrible mistake. He returns to his home town to win his girl back. They get back together. A marriage takes place and within a year, a child is born. But soon, the young father grows restless. The girl, now preoccupied with changing diapers and preparing meals appears boring to him, no match for the dashing manners of city people...

:D :D :D

some analogy to gear swinging, if you will...

back alley
03-27-2011, 14:01
But I never treated the used camera market like a rental bank. The sheer hassle of buying and selling, and the uncertainty of getting something as good as you sold, strikes me as too much trouble...

this is where we differ the most...for me the used camera market is like a giant rental bank...for a few bucks and a trip to the post office (2 blocks away and where i get to flirt with the ladies) i can try a lens and see if i like it.
i just sold a 90 and bought a 75...it took a trip or 2 to realize that i prefer a 75 on the rd1 to a 90 on the rd1...i didn't really lose any money and i got to sell the 90 to one of my favourite rff people...it all worked out beautifully.

doolittle
03-27-2011, 14:05
In a small town, boy meets a country girl and they fall in love. Somewhat later the boy meets an older woman from the city who seduces said boy with riches and glamour. Boy leaves girl and dives into the the corrupt nightlife of the city.

Soon the boy realizes his terrible mistake. He returns to his home town to win his girl back. They get back together. A marriage takes place and within a year, a child is born. But soon, the young father grows restless. The girl, now preoccupied with changing diapers and preparing meals appears boring to him, no match for the dashing manners of city people...

:D :D :D

some analogy to gear swinging, if you will...

Co-incidentally, reading this thread a similar, though not identical, thought entered my mind: never date your exes. There must have been a reason (even if you have forgotten it by now) you didn't get along in the first place. Or if not, going back would be admitting you were wrong, which is not the done thing!

Steve Bellayr
03-27-2011, 14:08
Make it a rule: Do not sell something on a whim.

doolittle
03-27-2011, 14:10
As the saying goes: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

However I don't think it quite applies. The piece of equipment hasn't changed, but the user might have. Maybe something clicks were it didn't before, or you find a use for the camera or lens that you didn't have before.

Personally I don't like admitting I was wrong, so would stand over my original decision!

zx9
03-27-2011, 14:14
Not cameras, I tend to have long term relationships with cameras but I do regret selling a very well used Pentax Digital Spot meter, which I intend to replace. And then there is the 20 valve Quattro, that I never should have sold :(

Gary Sandhu
03-27-2011, 14:19
I bought a used M8, sold it for the same price a year later, then rebought it a year later for 1/2 the cost. Have it still -- that was the plan.
I bought a demo M9, tested my lenses on it, and sold it locally and I plan on buying the M9 in a year or so when it becomes cheaper. And now I know which lenses work on it.

blazeicehockey
03-27-2011, 14:40
Should have held onto my mint OM4Ti. Made a mint out of it though :)

Cameras I miss...my first SLR: Pentax P30n, the camera that taught me about dynamic range:Fuji S3, about 24mm: Nikon 8400 and camera ergonomics :Oly E-1.

Cameras I dont miss: Nikon F100, F4, F3, Oly e-500, Oly 7070, Oly XA

Cameras I would want to play with: R-D1, Sigma SD1.

olleorama
03-27-2011, 15:13
I have only made sales I regret, never bought a camera or lens back (or again so to speak). But this is probably just nostalgia, rather than the cameras being better than what I have.

Funny, cameras I have given away I rarely miss.

FrankS
03-27-2011, 15:34
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone,
They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot.
Euuu, dat, dat.
They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot!
Joni Mitchell

It's happened to me with a Hexar AF, Hasselblad CM, Leica M2, Canon 28mmf3.5 ltm lens.
If I had had money to burn, I would have just kept the originals and bought the new stuff I wanted, but that wasn't possible. Once more fun-money was available, I re-bought the gear that I missed. Not so hard to understand.

Brian Sweeney
03-27-2011, 15:51
So I just spent the last four hours building a J-3 out of parts. A black J-3, horrible machining with the first-triplet misaligned, aperture is not circular, the optics module GLUED into place, and the distance scale way-off from the RF. Took all the glass out and let the fixture soak in nail polish remover for WEEKS! The glue finally gave it up.

So now I have a Black 1955 KMZ J-3, German Glass for all but the front element. Came out pretty good.

It is the only Black J-3 with a mix of Russian and German glass that I own. All of the other J-3's either have all German glass or all Russian glass, and they are all chrome. At least it is different from the other four.

bgb
03-27-2011, 16:00
Never the same camera ... a few years ago when $ were few and far between I sold all my OM stuff, sad but you can't eat on Olympus there are laws :)
Have just bought another OM-2 with a 35mm f2.8 and I'm pleased that i did. The shutter speed ring that used to annoy the hell out of me is actually rather clever and I like it. The small size which i didn't like after my FD Canons now seems sensible and the camera is a pleasure to carry all day. Guess people change or mature or just have different needs at different times of their lives.
Due to the loss of one eye i now have to focus with my left eye, so i hold the camera differently and a winder just gets in the way, maybe that's allowed me to see an old camera in a new light, of course it might just be old age :)

monochromejrnl
03-27-2011, 16:53
I've only done it once with a camera and lens - a Contax IIA with the Zeiss Opton 50/1.5 Sonnar. The first one I got had a shutter issue so when I had an opportunity to return it to the seller I did so. Came across another copy here on RFF by a local seller that had been serviced by Henry Scherer while still under warranty and jumped on it. It too had a shutter issue but since it was under warranty the seller agreed to send it back to Scherer for service. Since it returned to me it's been running 100% perfectly.

The only P&S camera I've ever bought and sold and bought again (but finally sold for the last time) was the Yashica T4 Super. I'm officially done with P&S film cameras - no matter how good the lens may be - the lack of control or poor ergonomics aren't worth it.

rover
03-27-2011, 17:35
All this makes me want to go out and buy another M3. I will probably get another 50 Summicron for it too.

sparrow6224
03-27-2011, 21:18
Sometimes you sell something because you need the money. Later, you miss it, you have the money, and you get it again, especially if you see it at a very good price. Like a Nikon FE2 for instance. It can happen.

You can miss things you've sold for the money, and suspect you'll get them again one day, when you're rich and king: Canon Serenar 80mm f2, pristine, with finder, might be one. There are others.

jbrodie
03-27-2011, 21:37
I sold my Canon AE-1 once because I liked my Olympus OM-10 more and would have liked some extra cash. Ended up buying another Canon AE-1 2 months later because I missed it so much. Paid more for it then I sold the other one though, but I had to have it.

DanOnRoute66
03-28-2011, 11:47
Let me offer a weird one: I bought a Rollei MX at an AFEX in France in 1953.

Used it heavily, and traded it in at Chicago's Central Camera Co. in 1956.

Bought a used MX at a shop in Bloomington, Indiana in 1958...

Yep - the same damn camera.

Dumb me section: I've sold and then replaced, at least six Barnacks.
So, is it fair to say you have a love-hate relationship with Barnacks? :bang:

dprees
03-28-2011, 12:03
Never done it with rangefinders, but a year after parting with my Canon 1V SLR, I bought another. For me, it is the best 35mm SLR ever made, and a joy to use. For the life of me, I couldn't remember why I sold it, and when a good deal came along, I grabbed it. Never regretted it.

I think I'd feel the same way about my M6 classic -- but that is still safely in the bag, and not changing owners anytime soon :)

semilog
03-28-2011, 20:59
I bought my fourth Nikon FE2 body a few months ago, after a ~10 year gap where I didn't have one (that was operational). Love that camera, and I'm completely used to it. All the features I like, essentially none that I don't like, and now they're cheap.

Frank Petronio
03-28-2011, 21:05
I keep selling and buying them over and over but so far I haven't gotten the same camera back... just the same model ;-)

250swb
03-30-2011, 04:50
The only camera I have bought more than two of is the M3. I've bought and sold four of them :bang: before I decided I don't like them :eek: as much as the M2:D

Steve

graywolf
04-03-2011, 14:38
Letting us do your article research for you, are you, Roger?

I notice that no one so far has admitted to doing what you asked about. I fall into the needed the money category (for rent, food, or medicine). I have owned two Mamiya Universal Press cameras and just missed buying a third because a salesman at the store sold it out from under me. I would buy another in a New York Minute if I could.

I sold my Pentax MX kit back when I quit the business, because I was using the Mamiya almost exclusively, and it was in the shape you would expect a 10 year old professional kit to be. And after a major illness a decade back bought basically the same MX kit again when I wanted to get back into photography.

The two other cameras that I would replace would be the Super Technika 4x5, and the Rolleiflex 2.8E2, if I could afford to. Although I would get a STv instead of the STiii I had back then. In fact the ST would be the only one I feel needed to be upgraded as the others were 100% satisfactory to my use.

There is another category that I have not seen mentioned so far, the serial collector. That is a collector that wants a lot of different models of things but does not have the money to own more than one. I was that way many years with firearms. It is kind of like, this year I own what I feel like shooting this year.

Then there are collectors, I do not really understand collectors, but there are those who want to own one of everything. There are those who want to own one of everything ever made by one manufacturer. There are those who want to own the TOL of every manufacturer. Anyway you get the idea...

I doubt that buying the same camera over and over again really qualifies as insanity. Maybe it shows a bad memory, "I forgot why I did not like this camera".

Tom A
04-27-2011, 08:36
Buying the same camera model twice - could be nostalgia too. My problem is that I have bought back the same cameras that I sold - usually after some years gone by.
Mainly it have been M4P's - and when I pop the backdoor - I have recognized the "notches" that I filed into them! It has happened 3-4 times. Most of my old M4P's seems to circulate around Vancouver (I had and used a lot of them - either 15 or 17 over a period of 15 years) - mainly used for shooting K-chrome for AV shows.
The funny part is that I paid roughly what I sold them for - even after 4-5 years. The other part is that they usually had a service when the new owner got them - so there was a small profit in the deals for me!

RanceEric
04-27-2011, 08:55
I have never sold and repurchsed the same camera gear. I like to keep my equipment ;)

SteveM_NJ
04-27-2011, 09:41
I know that there are as many different reasons for buying/selling/re-buying items, as there are members on this site.
but to answer the original question of last month, no, I have never sold gear to buy like models back.

With the diversity here, Roger should find plenty of "material" for stories, articles, etc.
good luck, I have no problem with providing "inspiration". (hmmm, never sold gear, how odd is that HERE!)
"keep smiling".

Vickko
04-27-2011, 09:51
After purging myself of a pair of beautiful black Nikon F's (black Apollo, black NKG), and a black F2 titanium, I bought back into a chrome F and chrome F2. I would have preferred black, but they are so hard to find, and are more expensive.

jljohn
04-27-2011, 09:55
Over the years I have sold off about four or five cameras and eight to ten lenses, and so far I have never repurchased any. I may someday repurchase a Hasselblad 500 C/M with an 80mm CF T* lens, but that will likely be down the road.

Paul Luscher
04-27-2011, 10:00
I'm guilty of buying multiple examples of the same camera. So enamored of the OM-2n that I now own three of them. Wouldn't want to run out....

john neal
04-27-2011, 12:41
Well, I had a period of "collecting", where I was constantly trying to get a better version of this or that camera or lens. Finally realised that I wasn't using any of them enough and sold almost everything - the MP will stay forever, and I missed my M3 so much (even over a recently sold M4) that I had to have another. I now have two of the best ever RF cameras, and no GAS.

It's wonderful :D

n5jrn
04-27-2011, 13:05
I tend to hold onto things way past when I stop using them, so by the time I let go of something it's so clear it needs to be let go that I've never later had regrets and bought another one. It helps to generally be a cheapskate, so I don't have the motivation of having to sell an existing camera to buy a new one.

Roger Hicks
04-27-2011, 13:16
I tend to hold onto things way past when I stop using them, so by the time I let go of something it's so clear it needs to be let go that I've never later had regrets and bought another one. It helps to generally be a cheapskate, so I don't have the motivation of having to sell an existing camera to buy a new one.

Elegantly phrased!

Cheers,

R.

Roger Hicks
04-27-2011, 13:22
I'm guilty of buying multiple examples of the same camera. So enamored of the OM-2n that I now own three of them. Wouldn't want to run out....

Ah, well, that's another matter, which is why I have 5 Nikon Fs. But I've never sold one and bought another because I missed it (because, for the laast 30 years or so, I've always had plenty).

Great quote from Marty Forscher, a good few years ago:

Me: I've got 5 Fs, because I want to keep on using them. How long do you think they'll last?

Marty: How old are you?

Me: 45 [or whatever I was at the time].

Marty: Don't worry, they'll outlast you.

Cheers,

R.

migtex
04-27-2011, 13:51
I have sold some equipment to RFF members with the understanding that if THEY want to sell the item, I want to buy it back. The only reason I sell some of the stuff is because someone asked for it.

MY kind of posture too...
Thank you Brian-San

dmr
04-28-2011, 07:13
Sell a camera (or lens)... Realize you miss it... Buy another the same.

That's exactly how I ended up here. In search of a camera I had sold decades before.

Gabriel M.A.
04-28-2011, 07:33
My record remains with the Hasselblad: I put together a kit through meticulous eBay research and bidding; then sold it. Bought another one (with an excellent screen); sold it. Bought it again. Sold it.

I still miss it. Again.

I sold it all those times because it was just sitting there, and processing the negatives, scanning, etc. was so time consuming, and my job (then) didn't really allow me much free time.

Anybody have a 500 c/m? :D

The next one in line was the 50mm f/1.5 Summarit. Sold it. Missed it. Bought it again. But kept it.

DougK
04-28-2011, 20:09
I've done it with a couple of cameras. The first time was when I sold my Minox 35 GL a while back. After some serious reflection about what I wanted in a pocket camera I decided it was worth buying another one (I did and it should arrive next week). The second time was when I sold my Olympus XA and A11 flash outfit. Technically I didn't rebuy the camera because a friend of mine who passed away left me his XA and A16 flash.

Even though I may miss the other cameras I've sold, I have little desire to rebuy them. I've no more time and money for buying gear just because it would be fun to play with or cool to collect. If I'm not going to use it, I won't buy it.

rbiemer
10-03-2011, 04:48
I have done it. And felt a bit foolish about it at the time.
I bought a Bessa R from our head bartender, used it for a while, (this is the foolish bit coming up) thought I'd got all I could from it and sold it, decided that I had made a mistake and bought another one from Stephen.
Now that I have mostly sorted out what works for me and what I like to use, the R will be sticking around even though I most often use my R2A lately.
Yes, I can and do use almost all of my LTM lenses on the R2A with no trouble but I'm keeping the R. It makes a good second to the R2A on the rare occasions when I want to carry two bodies.
Other than that first R, I don't really want to duplicate any of the other cameras I've owned.
Rob
EXCEPT, that was all mooted in July of this year when I sold that R. :bang:
Which I just bought back from the person I sold it to.:D
So, I have bought a Bessa R 4 times and sold one three times...maybe I have learnt by now that I really do like the R and should just keep the derned thing!
Rob

a10101100
10-03-2011, 04:59
I havent done it.. yet.. but that's probably because i WANT so many things so the funding process is an ongoing one..

but oh, i did sell my Bessa R4A to fund for some stuff.. went down the Leica route.. then found myself getting a R2 again.. i just love the feel of Bessas! but that's not quite the same is it

stnolan
10-03-2011, 10:18
I just bought my third GF-1. Don't know what I sold the other two. This camera is great!

jsrockit
10-03-2011, 11:16
It happens. It's easy to sell things these days and easy to buy them back...sometimes without a loss of cash even.

Roger Hicks
10-03-2011, 12:08
It happens. It's easy to sell things these days and easy to buy them back...sometimes without a loss of cash even.

Very true, but why do it?

Besides, unless you want very common equipment, there's always a risk of not getting as good a copy as you had the first time.

Cheers,

R.

jsrockit
10-03-2011, 12:18
Roger, sometimes I do it just to shake things up...

I find that as long as you have a few lenses you can rely on and a body or two you can rely on, many equipment purchases are just for experimentation and fun. Experimentation and fun leads to one going out and using those items to see if you come back with something different than one's usual style of photography.

Also, I'm not the type to keep things that I don't use, so things get sold at times (most of the time with no regret). That said, I have repurchased items after realizing that they were the best option for me (35mm c-biogon).

Roger Hicks
10-03-2011, 12:22
Roger, sometimes I do it just to shake things up...

I find that as long as you have a few lenses you can rely on and a body or two you can rely on, many equipment purchases are just for experimentation and fun. Experimentation and fun leads to one going out and using those items to see if you come back with something different than one's usual style of photography.

Also, I'm not the type to keep things that I don't use, so things get sold at times (most of the time with no regret). That said, I have repurchased items after realizing that they were the best option for me (35mm c-biogon).

Hmmm... See your point, sort of. I've just been trying (with some success) a zone plate on a Monochrom mount -- that I've had for years. On the other hand, for the last 20 years or so, I've tended to have more of a feeling about whether something will be useful 'in the long term', whether or not I use it for a year or two. Does it fit my 'style', insofar as it exists? Some things do, some don't.

Cheers,

R.

noimmunity
10-03-2011, 12:29
That said, I have repurchased items after realizing that they were the best option for me (35mm c-biogon).

Oh so familiar.

I just committed to getting another ZM 18/4, which I sold a couple years ago and have regretted ever since.

Eventually a C Biogon 35/2.8 will come back my way, too...

valdas
10-03-2011, 12:36
yes, guilty... OM1, XA2, Mamiya C330f.

_mark__
10-03-2011, 12:43
I use things until they break or I upgrade, if it can't be fixed it goes into a cupboard if I upgrade I sell the previous item. My only regret is giving my friend a R4 and a 50mm summicron but that is only because she never uses them and that is an utter waste! I
May buy that combination again?

jsrockit
10-03-2011, 13:37
Hmmm... See your point, sort of. I've just been trying (with some success) a zone plate on a Monochrom mount -- that I've had for years. On the other hand, for the last 20 years or so, I've tended to have more of a feeling about whether something will be useful 'in the long term', whether or not I use it for a year or two. Does it fit my 'style', insofar as it exists? Some things do, some don't.

Cheers,

R.

I guess this just is one of those things where what works for you might not work for me and vise-versa. You have to remember, I'm just some guy who enjoys photography. I went to school for Photography, then got burnt out and didn't photograph for a decade or so, and now I'm back into it for the last two years. My day job gives me cash to spend on stuff I couldn't buy when I was in school....so I've been trying a lot in order to figure out what sticks.

Also, I believe you've been involved in Photography (consistently) a long time and it may make more sense for you to keep things in hopes of using them in the future.

39per1
10-03-2011, 13:40
yashica fx3 in 1994, yashica fx3 super 2000 in 2004......

Roger Hicks
10-03-2011, 13:51
I guess this just is one of those things where what works for you might not work for me and vise-versa. You have to remember, I'm just some guy who enjoys photography. I went to school for Photography, then got burnt out and didn't photograph for a decade or so, and now I'm back into it for the last two years. My day job gives me cash to spend on stuff I couldn't buy when I was in school....so I've been trying a lot in order to figure out what sticks.

Also, I believe you've been involved in Photography (consistently) a long time and it may make more sense for you to keep things in hopes of using them in the future.

Yup: 45 years amateur, 40 years oscillating between photography and other things, 30 years freelance writer & photographer. Every now and then there's something I could do an article on -- if I hadn't sold it...

Cheers,

R.

StillKicking
10-03-2011, 14:00
Guilty with FSU lenses... I have bought, sold and then bought a series of Jupter-8 and Industar-50's.. truth is I made about $20 profit and have never spent more that $50 on any of the lenses in question.

nobbylon
10-03-2011, 14:56
I've bought and sold M6's multiple times and eventually worked out not to sell them!
35 pre asph summilux's the same! Sold my first one, three days later bought another and then sold that too. 4 weeks later I bought another. I am going to hang on to this one as they are now getting too pricey.
50 Summicron's a similar story so now I will only sell if I need the cash for other Nikon gear.

rbiemer
11-07-2011, 17:47
So, I have bought a Bessa R 4 times and sold one three times...maybe I have learnt by now that I really do like the R and should just keep the derned thing!
Rob

I felt a bit stupid when I did this--not for having bought it back but for having sold it in the first place--but as of today I am very glad that I did!
As I was getting out of my car this afternoon, I dropped my R2a. On to the pavement. From about 3 feet. :bang: :o
Luckily, it landed squarely on the baseplate. Well, on the (folded) trigger winder. Which means, no major scratches or obvious glass damage.

Un-luckily, it landed hard enough to fire the locked shutter and the RF is now misaligned. So the R2a will be heading off for service.:bang:
In fact, I will be sending the camera, winder, lens, and viewfinder to be looked at. Everything but the RF seems OK but I am not expert enough to say for certain. Dammit.

BUT, I do have that R and can happily use that as my main camera again!
If I had not replaced the R, I would now have NO reliable RF camera until the R2a gets sorted.

Rob

Keith
11-07-2011, 17:50
I do think about another R4* Bessa occasionally ... I sold mine some time ago for various reasons (broke) and have some regrets.

Awsome camera IMO!

hausen
11-07-2011, 18:28
Am on my second M6. Won't make that mistake again:) Hopefully.

Rob-F
11-07-2011, 19:02
I have bought and sold an M7 (not the same one) twice. Because it seemed to me that I didn't like the blinking numbers in the finder. But now that I've gotten comfortable with my M8.2, I'm used to the blinking red numbers. So. I bought another M7, my third. I hope I keep it this time.

I said I would never sell my Hasselblad Superwide-C. I sold it to buy the 40mm, so I could compose on the groundglass. I still have the 40mm, but I started missing the SWC. Flash back to the time I bought my XPAN, then later added the 30mm lens. I've become disappointed in the XPAN, and recently sold the 30mm lens kit, which has doubled in value since I bought it. I think the last straw was that I saw that the center ND filter sells used for around $550.00. Ouch, what if I ruined mine? And the 30mm took in more width than I wanted. I sold it for almost double what I paid, and began shopping for another SWC. And last week I received a very pretty SWC/M CF from KEH, with the proceeds of the 30mm sale. And had about $700 left over. This time I mean it: I will never part with my SWC/M CF!

The XPAN may go away.

Follow-up to my post in March: I did sell my Leica R outfit. Well, all but the 90 Elmarit, 135 Elmarit, and 180 APO-Telyt. Those three, I converted to Nikon mount. Roger will want to know why I made these changes. I did it so as to have both film and digital bodies I could use the same set of lenses with. Cuts down on how much gear I need to take along on trips. Now I can use my Nikon lenses, manual and AF, and my 3 Leica teles, on my FE2s; my FA; my D300; and D700. Oh yeah, and my F100 if I ever get around to using it.

And what did I do with all that cash from the sale of the Leica R outfit? That's where the M8.2 came from.

Doug
11-07-2011, 19:15
Wow, fine-tuning the kit, Rob-F! And it all sounds so logical too... :)

And Rob B at the lake, great to have a backup when one is needed.

Zonan
11-07-2011, 19:44
The only time I've done this is with my Fuji GA645zi. About 2 years after I sold it, I was looking thru my transparencies/scans, and said to myself: Why did you ever sell that, when it is such a great camera? Bought one from Sandy King a few months later, and glad I did. It's here for the duration...

ssmc
11-07-2011, 20:06
I haven't yet... but am probably going to.

- M6-TTL. I kick myself every time I think about having sold this beautiful camera (after a CLA!) and expect that at some point I will cave under the pressure and buy another one :(

- Nikon FA. This might happen real soon. I had an FA waaay back in 1985 and (again) foolishly sold it after only a few months. I am still not sure why I did that... but I am now looking for a 35mm SLR with a 1/4000 shutter speed to avoid having to futz around with ND filters while shooting at large apertures in daylight. I have an F70/N70 but (as I posted in another thread) it seems to get full of dust -> scratched negs. My X-700 and (especially) X-570 are beautiful to use with VF's that kick the Nikon's butt (0.9x mag vs. 0.77x for the F70 or 0.8x for the FA) and I have more Minolta lenses than I have F-mount but the bodies top out at 1/1000s...

Roger Hicks
11-08-2011, 03:07
This time I mean it: I will never part with my SWC/M CF!

Dear Rob,

Unless, of course, you get your hands on an Alpa with the same lens...

Cheers,

R.

Rui Resende
11-15-2011, 09:33
I've only been buying used cameras for less than 2 years, so i've never sold any camera so far, although i'm right now thinking of doing it.

I keep 2 Contax T, for 2 reasons:

1-i use really a lot. It has some sines of usage, all made by me (i bought it practically unused). I love the camera, and want to have another in case something happens to the one i use

2-the second contax that have, which i don't use, is like having gold. It's in perfect min condition, boxed, flash, manual, etc. Since i've bought both contax for a relatively cheap price (around 200e), i'm guessing i may sell it in a few years and make some money, if i choose never to use it.

it'sawhat?
12-12-2011, 11:17
Never regretted a slae enough to buy it back. Stolen gear is another story managed in the last couple of months to replace a pentax 645 stolen some 4 years ago. had a spotmatic stolen 12 years ago wouldn't mind having another but would rather expand my lenses for the 645 for now. Had to do the coin toss on that and knew the answer as the coin started up. The fed 5v will work till I get the 150mm 3.5 and by then I'll know if i need the 55 instead of the 75 I have. Pretty sure I'll just keep the 75.

santino
12-12-2011, 11:36
Contax IIa (sold it twice, just have kept the coll. Tessar).

Soeren
01-06-2012, 03:32
Bought an old beat up Yashica Mat 124G as my first MF camera years back. Gave it away When I got a nice near mint Bronica SQ-Ai. Then when my first son was born I sold the Bronica and have regretted ever since. Even the Pentax 6X7 I then bought couldn't fill the gap. Now I have myself a nice little Mat 124G again (hmm when will I get another SQ-Ai :) )

21-135 Apo All Good
01-06-2012, 06:03
I'm mostly with Roger on this. I'm a working Pro. I've sold an entire Canon F-1 system, a Pentax 6x7 system and a Hassy system in my lifetime. Never looked back, since both my needs and technology changed. I would NEVER buy any of those model cameras back. If I needed a Hassy for a project, I'd merely RENT one cause they're cheap enough to rent!

Buying & selling is a hobby unto itself. Some are smart enough to NOT get attached to a particular model or make of camera, some do so (sell & re-buy) out of necessity when funds are short, and yet others (lots here) buy & sell stuff and never really put a roll of film through what they've swapped or dealt. It's all part of the menagerie of what comprises the "photographic community". Further, if not for the collectors, most of the outdated tools some of us like to use would be left to scrap metal recyclers. For as long as someone is willing to buy a camera that no one makes parts for, there will exist a monetary reason for this crazy collecting to continue.

mugget
02-04-2012, 04:01
Never. But I am only new to photography, now that I think about it - it's only been 3 years since I first had an dSLR! But I sold all my SLR gear and got into rangefinders (M8) within the last year. So far I only have a 50mm Summilux, I probably need more time...

certifiable
02-04-2012, 04:28
I bought the Bessa L for the second time, first time with the 15mm, a little to wide and hardly used it. This time I bought it with a 25mm... Way better!

Dirk
03-03-2012, 22:17
Minox 35GT. I had one in the 80's and always remembered how much I liked working with it, the lens, the smallness and the overall brilliant design. Bought one again a couple years ago and will keep it this time.

ChrisPlatt
03-04-2012, 07:19
I foolishly sold my Bessa R when I got something "better".
Turns out it wasn't better for me, just more expensive.
So I sold it and got another R. This one's a keeper.

Chris

bastian a.
03-04-2012, 07:31
I had sold a Leica R7 and bought one again about two years later.
It's the same with a Contax G2 ... and now I have two of them.

Jani_from_Finland
03-22-2012, 19:44
I know a fellow who had bought the exact (kept track with serialnumbers) same Contax camera 2 or 3 times. The last time it had been completely overhauled as when he had sold it the previous time it was "a mess" according to him and the last time he paid less for it than he had sold it for and got a lot more when sold off for the final time, maybe it was his pot of golden coins? I recall that he owned the same camera 3 times.
On my own account, must admit that the Olympus OM series stuff is on a second run for me as is also the Contax T2 and T3 cameras, the only on still with me that is the same old one is the Olympus 35 RD and the mju:II that i had to switch for a working one last year. The Original Olympus Mju:II i had was bought when they first came out and was the Japan version if i recall, then it started to leave more and more blank frames and was not working properly and i let it on retirement.

Jobin
03-22-2012, 20:13
Happy to say I won't be re-purchasing a x100.

Rayt
03-22-2012, 21:45
I sold a lot of stuff to get into digital but when that did not workout I sold the digital and bought back the stuff I sold mainly 6x6 stuff and blew tons of cash in the process. Oh well..

RBruceCR
04-07-2012, 22:05
I enjoy Mr. Hick's columns very much, to the point that I have been following M3's auctions over eBay for quite a while, like a bond trader trying to ascertain the point of buy or sell. So far I haven't had the nerve to drop in, however, at $1,100 with 50mm Elmar, case, MR meter I've come pretty close. I believe that these cameras will need some sort of Leica service and I would have to compute that too into the price, the owner agreeing to ship to another address in the USA to a friend in NYC for him to ship to Leica and then bring it to Costa Rica where I live. Quite a Roman enterprise, like we often say here!

I come from a Yashica Electro 35 GSN that in 1978 was given to me by my father. I learned photography from him. We used to shoot landscapes for the calendars we printed in our printing shop, with the Electro 35 using Ektachrome 64 mostly. The Yashica is now in CT for a reviving POD issue and for CLA.

Later I owned a Maxxum 3000i wanting to have long lens and SLR compact body, but I missed my RF for its small footprint and finally I settled on with a Maxxum 600si. My main lens a Sigma 28-80/4 stuck at infinity, no English humor here, and I have to recuperate it from the technician that has had it for the last four months, perhaps airmail it to NYC for repair also my first 600si body that I left there for CLA and grip replacements.

Out of curiosity and fondness with my 1995 choice, I found another Maxxum 600si on eBay. I have been using her non stop, shooting a roll of film every week and enjoying it thoroughly. I even bought two more lenses a Maxxum 35-70/4 and a Sigma 18-35/4 that is noisy I but a pleasure to use in landscapes and candid photography. I still have the old Maxxum 80-200/4 and use it more than before! I am considering developing and printing my own black and white pictures in one of the former dark rooms that we have left at the printshop having fallen prey of the digital era due to a violet CTP.

I have bought Aerochrome EIR in England and will attempt E-6 process if I can smuggle the chemicals somehow. So far I have bought three filters for EIR, a 950 Nm, a 750 Nm and a B+W 099 filter, the most expensive one. All of the filters in the size for the Electro35 and since I have a step up adaptor for my Maxxum lenses I might as well try EIR with her.

What else, I own dad's Mamiya Standard 23. I have the three lenses, a 65/3.5 an 85/3.5 and a 150/3.5 but the backs leak and I have yet to repair them with the correct tools or find a technician in Costa Rica that will do it with the parts that I have imported from Japan. I like this system very much as it has three sizes, 6 X 4.5, 6 X 6 and 6 X 9, it is an all manual system, it seems practical for landscapes and portrait.

I was going to buy a Mamiya 645AFD to do Ektachrome, however, it is becoming scarcer and there is nobody in Costa Rica that will process other than with C41 and I don't want to damage my landscapes. So I decided to repair the backs before the 645.

Today I bought an Olympus XA2. I wanted to get an XA for my 8 year old son, we have been doing photography together and it seems that the mistake was a fortunate one since this rangefinder has zone focusing (that is my rationalization to justify it, Mr. Hicks) and it might be easier for him to learn the ropes or I will have a nice camera to do street photography. The Yashica, my sweetheart camera will be used for people photography as well as landscapes. I don't think it can be used for street photography that well!

Returning the path of the Maxxum I wondered what happened before the demise of Minolta and found a Maxxum 7D used on eBay. It might be after all my path into digital, perhaps not!

Too many cameras and too many projects. I'm going to tackle each one on a one to one basis.

So this is my letter of introduction to you all,

Regards,

Robert
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbruce63/

John Bragg
04-07-2012, 23:20
I have bought the same model twice a couple of times. Once building an OM system, and again when I discovered second hand Olympus Mju II on ebay. I bought another soon after in case the first one ever died on me.

zerobuttons
04-08-2012, 01:36
Sell a camera (or lens)... Realize you miss it... Buy another the same. Surprisingly many RFF members seem to regard this as the norm. Why? Who else has never done it, and who makes a habit of it?

I couldnīt see myself doing this. I bond too much with my equipment to sell it in the first place. On the other hand I consider very carefully, before I acquire anything (mostly because I tend to buy expensive things).

A few years ago, I sold some digital equipment (which I donīt bond with) and included my Arca Swiss ballhead in the sale. Within a few days I had regrets, but the ballhead was gone from the store I sold it to. A year after, the same ballhead appeared in the same storeīs secondhand list. I bought it at a price not much lower than I had paid for it from new, but this model is not manufactured anymore, and Iīm not so sure about the newer models. I know itīs the same ballhead because of a mark on the friction-setting knob.
This taught me how much I would suffer from selling equipment I have bonded with - it wonīt happen again.

thegman
04-08-2012, 02:54
My first real film camera was a Zeiss Ikon, and I do miss it on occasion. I sold it on a whim for an M6, and did not really like the M6. I've since sold and bought others, but my mind does sometimes wander to re-buying the Ikon. I currently use an MP, and it's great, but I do sometimes consider a trade for another Ikon.

dotur
04-08-2012, 02:58
For me, it happens with TLRs.
I've sold my first TLR (a Rolleicord Vb) in 1976, and bought the very same camera from another owner eight years later.
Three years ago I traded my Rolleiflex 2.8 F white face for M3 DS outfit (+ Summilux 35 (v.3), Summaron 28 + Elmar 50 2.8 collapsible) and bought the very same Rolleiflex a year later, when the new owner decided to sell it. Rolleicord is long gone, but the white face is not for sale.

www.ivanlozica.com

FrankS
04-08-2012, 05:42
In the past I owned 2 cameras in particular that were very good cameras, but I sold them because my aging eyes could not clearly read the engraved information numbers for the lens and shutter settings on the shiny chrome of the lens. Since then I've gotten eyeglasses (bi-focals) so this is no longer a problem. I've already re-acquired a Retina lla and am awaiting a Perkeo ll in the mail.

ianstamatic
04-23-2012, 00:24
I have some real trouble with the selling part in the whole buying selling cycle.

Autocord x2, Yash Electro 35 x3, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Iskra x2, Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, about 8 similar tlrs

Also if you like a camera system alot it makes sense to have a second body for different films and backup.

FranksS - I also recently started with bifocals. distortions took a while to get used to, but seeing again was a hoot !

John E Earley
08-05-2012, 03:53
I replaced a Nikon that was stolen and I do own 2 Bronica ETR's and 2 Vito B's but I don't think in 50 years of camera owning that I've ever sold and bought again.

Harry S.
08-05-2012, 03:57
I bought (and sold) the same canon EF 50mm lens three times. Each time with less enjoyment. :rolleyes:

Texsport
08-05-2012, 05:31
Two reasons I've bought the same camera twice, or 3 times:

(1) To have extra bodies for use with other lenses---Fujica 690/670 cameras.

(2) To replace stolen cameras---Nokkormat.

Texsport

someonenameddavid
08-05-2012, 09:50
Back in the Philadelphia photo retail days, '81-4, we had a customer we named "Doctor Switchit" because he would periodically arrive to trade in high end 35mm and 120 equipment and then buy it back within a week or two and make a $500 to $1000 loss on the transaction. When he traded his R4 in it was sold before he had the chance to buy it back (but not to me....) we concluded he must have a mistress and needed "untraceable money" because his wife could identify purchases made at the camera store as being innocuous enough.

His M3 was the one that set me on a search for a Leica I could afford. Only took 18 years

David

whitecat
08-05-2012, 10:11
I have bought more than one camera twice. I guess I just missed them. Among these would be my Widelux, Certo 6, Contax TVS III.

1joel1
09-12-2012, 07:30
I suffer greatly from this seller's regret. I had bought and sold Plaubels through the years and finally kept my W67 and won't sell it again. I rebought a Canon T90 and 80-200 f4 L lens, one of their best ever, but am selling them shortly. I just rebought a Contax RTS III and am looking for the legendary 35-70 f3.4 zoom. Those will be keepers. I have regretted selling my M6, but am enjoying my M8 greatly, so not sure I'm gonna replace that one with another M6 or M7. Not sure where the fondness comes from. Perhaps it is nostalgia and a linkage to images made with the old cameras and lenses. I miss my old F2AS, and had replaced it years ago, but doubt that it will find its way back into the fold.

Just bought an old 1975 Honda CB400F to go with another older bike I have. I think nostalgia runs very deep in my blood and bikes and cameras are a big part of it. Just a theory and my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Joel

kubilai
12-11-2012, 06:29
Remembered that I purchased twice :
- Minolta MC/MD 85mm/1.7
- Tamron Adaptall SP 90/2.5 macro (52B and then 52BB)
- Minolta M-Rokkor 90/4.0

I Still have Tamron and M-Rokkor. Will have I a third Minolta 85/1.7 ?

Interesting : all are 85-90mm, it seems an usefull range.

Rodchenko
03-11-2013, 04:07
An interesting thread. I am currently buying (pretty much) two cameras I used to own.

Firstly, a Minox PL a friend no longer had a use for. My first Minox was a PL, and I've had one ever since (currently a GL). I didn't sell the PL, however, it was knocked from my hand in the street, and smashed against an unfortunately placed lamp post.

Secondly, I've bought an Olympus. My first ever camera was an OM-1, and I was sorry when it went (I think that was lost along with my Fuji GS645S, a Minox 35GT and various others when we were burgled nearly twenty years ago). I went off SLR photography, buying a DSLR when I was made redundant which never inspired me. But I've been using a Minolta and a Canon film SLR (the latter from the charity shop), so I looked for an OM-1 online and struck lucky with an OM-2SP, which is what I aspired to previously.

And, in buying a rangefinder, I considered going back to a Kiev, with it's lovely long-base RF before plumping for a Yashica Electro 35 GS, which is a camera I've never tried before.

hepcat
03-24-2013, 08:28
I love it when an old thread gets resurrected.

Having read the whole thread, I confess that over the past forty years I have in fact bought and sold pretty much the same kit now at least three, and maybe four times. And each time it was Leica. And each time it involved one body at a time and at least a 35-50-90 combo. I've had two M3s, an M2, an M4-2, M4, and now an M8, M9, and M4-P with eight lenses and a Visoflex III.

In between and concurrently there have been other systems: Canon EOS film, Hasselblad, Kiev 88CM and Olympus digital (plus a slew of individual bodies and lenses I bought and sold cheaply just because I wanted to play with them to see what they were about.) I also played with FSU rangefinders and lenses, but frankly that was mostly for fun as the bodies are klunky and difficult to use (IMHO.)

And now for why...

The past 40 years in photography have been unlike any other time in its history. From the development of the wet plate to the development of the M4, Hasselblad 500c, Nikon F, and Canon F1 cameras just hadn't changed much. Photography hadn't changed much. Negatives and cameras got smaller and more refined, but the technology remained similar. Pioneering 19th Century wet-plate photographers could have picked up an M4, F, or F-1 and been making images in minutes.

The world changed with the introduction of the Canon EOS 650 in 1987. Electronic cameras took over the world. The computerization of cameras and then digital imaging has turned the world of photography upside down. From the 1970s through the 1990s automation improved and auto features improved so significantly that sometimes auto focus and auto exposure could actually respond faster than I could. I sold my M4-2 kit and bought an EOS1 kit and didn't look back for over ten years.

Around 1998 I got out of the business. I sold my Hassy system. I sold most of my EOS system. I kept one EOS 1 and a couple of lenses. I just wanted a family snapshot maker, and returned to Leica and bought an M4... and the 35-50-90 setup.

Digital made it's debut... and started taking over. I got back into the business with Olympus DSLRs in 2003. I sold the last of the EOS1 gear, but kept my M4. After another year, and now being heavily invested in Olympus digital gear, I knew I'd never use the M4 again, and there was no sign of an affordable digital M on the scene, so I sold the kit. Big mistake as it turned out.

Now, another ten years has passed and digital has matured. Leica is in their third generation of digital. New ancillary technology is emerging. EVFs on mirrorless cameras are becoming the dominant market share. I've found that I don't like EVFs, not at all, and for a variety of reasons. Olympus is going down that mirrorless road now, and I suspect that their next flagship pro model may likely be mirrorless with an EVF. Further, Olympus had dropped most of its pro accessories; flash battery packs and other pro-only gear, so it's likely that their next "Pro" model would be even less "Pro"- oriented than the E-5. So, I was faced with a decision: a) play the waiting game until the current gear I had was hopelessly outdated in the digital world and lose my shirt if I liquidate; or b) stay with Olympus and potentially have to use a body I'll likely detest; or c) just sell it all and get out while the getting was good, my equipment still held value, and the Olympus pro-E line was still static. I chose plan c).

After evaluating all of the choices available and recognizing my life-long comfort with Leica M, re-buying my Leica kit in digital seemed like a reasonable option.

So, here I am again for the third or fourth time. It's like deja-vu all over again... and again... and again. This time, though, I'm a lot more mature, there isn't the market change we had twenty years ago looming on the horizon, and the technology has matured. I think I'm here to stay.

Vickko
03-24-2013, 08:39
Twice. Ha ha.
I think I've bought a chrome Nikon F with eye level prism for the twelfth time.
Never learn.
Maybe it is an addiction.

p.giannakis
03-24-2013, 09:16
I keep buying prakticas, get disappointed with their freaky shutters, sell them and then buy more. My first camera was a Praktica BMS so I have a soft spot in my heart for Prakticas. Pity about their fragile shutters. I have a LTL3 at the moment that looks and sounds like a well made camera.

Alex Krasotkin
04-01-2013, 23:39
Konica Hexar AF

FrozenInTime
04-01-2013, 23:47
Going through a digital phase and just sold my SWC/M :
So will say for the record that I'm reasonably certain this will be one I will regret selling and end up buying again in the future.

Steve George
04-02-2013, 00:20
The only camera I've done this with is a Nikon FM2. Bought one, sold it, regretted it when I was looking for a "throw in the bag and don't worry about it bouncing around" camera for a cycle trip so I bought another. I've since sold that but could be tempted to get another if I saw one cheap enough.

Brian Legge
04-02-2013, 00:34
I hoard enough that I haven't re-bought something after selling it. I probably should cull more aggressively as it would be healthy.

So far my only duplicate purchasing:

- Lynx 14, picked up a nicer one to replace a user I had. User has since been sold.
- Minolta 7sII. Turned the first 2 into a single working camera. Loved it, finally found a working one in nice condition. Sold one, used the other. Then found a black one for cheaper than any of the first 3. Still need to finish a roll in my silver one before listing it here.
- M2, purchased one as a backup while a camera was getting serviced, ended up purchasing a second when a very nice upgraded one came along.
- Medalist II. Picked up one which needed work, found a cheap one to use before deciding if I wanted to have my better condition one updated to work with 120 while getting serviced. Still on the fence.

I've spent a day taking pictures and collecting notes for a bunch of gear to sell here. I need to just list it and field questions rather than describing everything so completely up front. :)

Photo_Smith
04-02-2013, 01:23
The only camera I've sold and then regretted and replaced is a Rolleiflex.
I trained as a social photographer on a Rollei 2,8F kept the camera when I bought a 'blad to replace it. Then a few years later I sold all my film cameras (including the Rollei to a friend who always wanted it) and went totally digital.

Five years later I re-bought another Rolleiflex and was given an M4P and Sinar 4x5; now I'm using the 'flex as my go to camera.

We all make bad decisions, mine was selling the 2,8F.

thegman
04-02-2013, 01:57
The only camera I've sold and then regretted and replaced is a Rolleiflex.
I trained as a social photographer on a Rollei 2,8F kept the camera when I bought a 'blad to replace it. Then a few years later I sold all my film cameras (including the Rollei to a friend who always wanted it) and went totally digital.

Five years later I re-bought another Rolleiflex and was given an M4P and Sinar 4x5; now I'm using the 'flex as my go to camera.

We all make bad decisions, mine was selling the 2,8F.

I have done this, I got a 3.5E, it did not work out for me, probably because at the time I had loads of cameras and it just never seemed to get used. I sold it, and after selling loads of other cameras, I decided I wanted to try again, and got a 2.8GX, very happy with it now.

Charlie Lemay
04-02-2013, 03:30
I've done this more times than I can remember. Buying gear and using it has led me to make more images than I would have otherwise. Testing lens and camera perspnalities eventually led to personal vision. It has been my grad school. As I evolved, I would reach points where I knew just what gear would take me where I needed to go, and each time I made new images I could not have imagined the first or even second time around with the same equipment. I have just come to accept it as my crazy way of moving through my photograhic education. I recently picked up a Rolleiflex 2.8C, after owning a T back in the 70s, and can't wait to see what new things I will discover this time, as soon as it gets back from Harry Fleenor with it's new Maxwell screen.

Bruno Gracia
04-02-2013, 10:31
I just purchased my 12 Leica m9...

Mcary
04-02-2013, 10:36
Just purchased my second M8.

Darthfeeble
04-02-2013, 10:42
I'm on my third and final RD-1. Lessons are hard for me to learn it seems. And expensive. I've also returned to DSLR land after a year with an M9. I doubt that I'll get another M9 but that M (240) is tempting.

Morry Katz
04-02-2013, 10:56
I don't feel so bad now. A few years ago I traded a Leica M3 and many lenses for....
a Contax N1. Nice camera but now worthless. Recently finished rebuilding an M4 outfit with 4 lenses. And I'm old enough to have known better.

rbsinto
04-03-2013, 05:21
While I've never sold a camera only to find that I miss it and so purchased another of the same model, I do have multiple copies of the same cameras;
three Nikon S3 rangefinders because I love their simplicity, and two Nikon FA SLRs, because I literally shot the first one to death and so recently bought another to replace it.

slava
04-03-2013, 05:42
I sold my 50mm Planar and after only 2 weeks I bought a new one.... In that time I realised that how good the lens was...

kingsley244
07-11-2013, 18:38
My biggest regret was selling my 50 Cron, the one with the sliding hood and it was in chrome too ! I now have a 50 Lux ASPH but I have this urge to re-buy that Cron. Weird.

muser53
07-15-2013, 16:17
I haven't yet "bought the same camera twice" but very soon as I let go a Rolleiflex F back in '89 to raise some $ for a trip to Nepal. Now I'm looking towards medium format and suspect another Rollei is in my future.

nikon_sam
07-15-2013, 16:34
I'm not sure if this qualifies as buying the same camera twice but...
I bought a Vivitar 400/SL camera body a few years ago to replace the original one I still have...my parents bought me that camera in 1976 and I used it a lot...it's been retired after replacing broken or missing parts from a donor body...
I wanted another camera with a brighter viewfinder than what's in the Spotmatic...I have some nice Takumar and other M42 lenses that I would love to use so I got the Vivitar...

aeturnum
07-15-2013, 16:41
I'm working on buying my second Fuji X-Pro 1, to replace my other one that was stolen.

I'm also considering buying a second Zeiss Ikon ZM, as it's out of production and I don't expect to ever want a different film RF.

PaulW128
07-15-2013, 16:41
I sold my D7000 and a few lenses, got the Olympus OMD, sold it shortly thereafter (didn't like the EVF) and went and got another D7000!!

Paul

sepiareverb
07-15-2013, 16:45
I just purchased my 12 Leica m9...

Twelfth M9. That's gotta hurt.

zuiko85
07-15-2013, 17:37
I cannot resist the original Olympus Pen viewfinder camera, the all manual type, no interest in the EE models. My latest, off the bay, came to me 2 days ago and has already been partially disassembled to clean the vf and replace light sealing foam. Got it loaded with a short roll of Pan F. This makes the third all manual VF pen in my collection, all useable.

Godfrey
07-15-2013, 20:47
Stuff happens along the way.

I'm on my third Nikon F, second Olympus E-1, sixth Leica M4-x (they're all so close they seem the same), third CL, and second SWC and 500CM. I've had three to five Nikon FM/FM2n, gosh knows how many Minox subminis, three Olympus Pen FTs, and just bought two more Polaroid SX-70s.

Let's not talk about lenses.

Obsessive ... eh? Dunno. I know what I like, and sometime circumstances require that I sell, and other times I can afford the luxury of reacquiring.

G

Rob-F
07-15-2013, 21:59
Happy to say I won't be re-purchasing a x100.

Maybe you won't, but I just did.

RBruceCR
08-11-2013, 17:11
I got myself a Rollei 35 S! It is not a range finder it is a zone focusing camera, perhaps, it is a hyper focal distance guessing camera.

Most of the pictures that I take come in focus, however, I loose some to bad exposures or erroneous focusing.

With my Yashica Electro 35 GX all the pictures that i take come right in sharp focus and exposure plus, I get the bonus of three or four more frames out of a 36 roll!

Perhaps, it's the same minimalist equipment bought all over again!

squareshooter
08-11-2013, 17:18
Selll? SELL?" I do not recognize the concept. I do not collect cameras I rescue them Why else would I have three Bilora Bellas? (One 44 and two 66. Ir is the other way around....)

Farside
09-09-2013, 15:18
Of all the cameras I have now, the only one that's a double of what I've had before is the OM-1 and that's been in my possession for 20 years.
I sold my first one to buy a motorcycle, which allowed me to travel to work, to earn enough to buy a house, and then bought another OM-1, which for sentimental reasons, I'll never part with. I still love using it, clunky though it is. Actually it's not clunky at all, it's like oiled silk compared to some of the clankboxen of the digital world.
Come to think of it, that first OM-1 is only the second camera I sold in fifty years of snapping - I haven't sold one since.

kknox
09-09-2013, 22:02
Sold a real nice Rolleiflex Automat MX 3.5 Tessar. I bought another Rollei Automat MX, less than 60days later.

Something about a 60yr old Rolleiflex.

tunalegs
09-15-2013, 13:22
I bought an Exakta VX500, for the second time. I'm not sure why though.

Vickko
09-15-2013, 13:32
um, did I tell you that I currently own three Leica M5 cameras?

Previously I've had two (chrome and black), zero (when I got to a period of "no more film M's), and phases when I've only had one.

Addictions don't go away, they just go into remission.

sojournerphoto
09-15-2013, 13:55
I sold a Bessa R4m, along with an R2a, and recently bought an R4a back - with 21/4 and Leicatime case included. I haven't felt any need to replace the R2 as I have enough standard fov rf's, but I decided I was wrong about the lens intrusion on the R4 and bought another for the occasions I want a wide agile camera.

It will be seeing use next weekend at a local bike show, with some Ilford Delta 3200.

Murchu
09-15-2013, 13:57
I once bought the same camera twice, and can see myself doing it again, as I need to replace a short portrait lens I foolishly sold. I need to move on a few things that are gathering dust, so maybe this list shall grow, who knows. You live and learn, and would rather foolishly sell something, than sell nothing and foolishly keep everything, lol :)

cosmonaut
09-16-2013, 15:16
I have done it a couple of times. Once an M3. Once a E-M5. I since sold the M3 and picked up an M4 I prefer.

Stanton
09-19-2013, 21:18
I have never bought the same camera twice because, regretably, -especially to my wife- I can never let go of a camera once I own it. Dave

Darthfeeble
09-19-2013, 21:40
I've bought, and then sold, bought another and sold again, and then bought for (I hope) the final time an Epson RD 1. I shoot it about twice a month but there's just something about it that I am just crazy about. Or is that just crazy?

brian steinberger
09-19-2013, 21:44
I've bought and sold a Bronica SQ-A kit 3 times. Now that I think of it, I miss that old SQ-A... off to KEH!

Also been guilty of purchasing the following camera systems twice:

Mamiya 645
Hasselblad
Mamiya 7
Bronica RF645

So for me it is the norm! But sometimes it takes doing this to help find out what system is the best fit for you. I settled on the Bronica RF645 and Mamiya 6 (the only system I bought and never thought about selling!) as my two main systems.

Phil_F_NM
12-30-2014, 05:35
...because I've recently done the same thing with two different cameras.

Not too long ago I bought my second Fuji X100. The first I bought back in 2012, used it for some time then went all film for the better part of a year.

More recently than that I purchased my fourth Nikon F3. I used to use two alongside each other years ago then sold those after I got an F4 and a D100. I found myself with another F3 about two years ago which I sold to a friend and fellow RFF member. Just a few weeks ago I saw one here in the classifieds that I just couldn't pass up so that's number four. I'm sure I'll buy another F4 some time in the future, as well as a Konica Hexar.

Other cameras I've repurchased are: Pentax Spotmatics (3), Nikon D2Hs (1), Crown Graphic 4x5 (1).

Phil Forrest