PDA

View Full Version : Prewashing for 2 bath

Augenblick
01-20-2011, 13:42
Roger

i read on a previous thread of yours from a few years back that pre washing film prior to developing is pretty much an irrelevancy. I would agree with this from my own limited experience. However, if I don't pre-wash Rollei 400S film to remove the anti halation dye, and then 2 bath process it (a la Barry Thornton) will the dye remaining in the developer that is poured back into the bottle affect the developing properties of bath A?

In other words, does the presence of film dye affect developer which is to be re-used?

Ta

Paul

Roger Hicks
01-21-2011, 01:08
Dear Paul,

Dunno, sorry. I'd be surprised if it did, but I'd not be sure.

I am however reasonably confident that pre-washing for a 2-bath is a bad idea. Two-baths rely on inbibition of the 1st bath. If the gelatine is already swollen from the pre-wash, you'll probably need a lot longer in bath 1 in order to get enough dev agent into the film.

Only 'probably', though, because I've seen it asserted that the dev agents migrate more freely into wet gelatine than dry. This seems improbable but not impossible to me. Freakscene (Marty) probably knows more about this than I.

Sorry to be so uninformative.

Cheers,

R.

ruby.monkey
01-21-2011, 01:11
Roger

i read on a previous thread of yours from a few years back that pre washing film prior to developing is pretty much an irrelevancy. I would agree with this from my own limited experience. However, if I don't pre-wash Rollei 400S film to remove the anti halation dye, and then 2 bath process it (a la Barry Thornton) will the dye remaining in the developer that is poured back into the bottle affect the developing properties of bath A?

In other words, does the presence of film dye affect developer which is to be re-used?

Ta

Paul
It hasn't had any noticeable effect on my diafine. One bottle is grey/black, the other a rather fetchingly deep shade of green. It all still works.

(this is diafine, though, so 'works' is a relative thing)

john_s
01-21-2011, 02:24
I pre wash but I don't do 2-bath these days. My guess (i.e. not knowledge) is that a longer soak in Bath A would probably make up for the displacement of water in the film if it had been pre-soaked. It would keep the Bath A looking a bit better, I suppose (not just dye, but other goo that accumulates).

presspass
01-21-2011, 06:07
I have been using two-bath (Thornton, Stoeckler, Diafine) for several years - two to four rolls a week. The dye does affect the color of the A bath with all but does not seem to have any effect on the bath's activity. I use the Thornton & Stoeckler for about a month and then replace it; the Diafine stays for a year. I have not tried pre-soak, although some Diafine users swear by it.

Augenblick
01-23-2011, 09:38
Many thanks for your responses. I'm going to avoid prewashing and see if it affects the solutions.

Paul