Posting a photo, exceeding the upload quota (in perpetuity)

Dogman

Mentor
Local time
2:10 PM
I keep getting the message that I am exceeding the upload quota. In the past, I've reduced the size of the image and I could post it. Looks like the upload quota is fluid. Today, I reduced the size four times and each time the upload quota was reduced to less than the size of the image. Apparently, no matter how small I make the image it will exceed this quota. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, what the hell is the "upload quota"?

Which device are you using (desktop, tablet, phone)? New RFF does not play well with iPhone.

As for upload quota, it seems to be an updated Catch-22. I’ve asked in the Help/Feedback forum whether there’s a temporary cache that holds attempted uploads (and counts them against your so-called quota, without however giving you access to select/delete, or emptying on reset), but we appear to be inside a machine whose designer and mods don’t have a playbook handy, or if they do, lack the time to publish its most important operational stickies.

Best, still, to describe the difficulties and conundrums (specifying your device, image size info) in the Help/Feedback world, and hope a clear answer will come.

It's the maximum amount of space that you are allowed for all of your images. Something seems to have broken on the forum upgrade- a lot of old/deleted attachments I had seem to be counted against the total now.

It's the maximum amount of space that you are allowed for all of your images. Something seems to have broken on the forum upgrade- a lot of old/deleted attachments I had seem to be counted against the total now.

And how were you able to determine this? Have you been able to see these old/deleted attachments? That is, do you have clues, advice, test results…..?

thanks

Before the "Upgrade" I could download a photo from Flickr...I was never asked to reduce my file size...
If anyone is able to load a photo from Flickr could you explain how you do it...

Before the "Upgrade" I could download a photo from Flickr...I was never asked to reduce my file size...
If anyone is able to load a photo from Flickr could you explain how you do it...

In your Flickr Account -> click on your photo then click Share Photo arrow (lower right) -> over to the right, click BBCode -> Select appropriate image size from pull-down menu -> copy hyperlink provided -> paste complete link into RFF message window.

No need to use any special tags or image upload icons - just paste the hyperlink string in the message body in its entirety.

Example Flickr BBCode link for Large (1024 x 768) image to paste into RFF:
Code:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kUaBdZ][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51129803429_82ef63b61f_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2kUaBdZ]Spring 2021 at Doyle Field Leominster[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/rdc154/]rdc154[/url], on Flickr

Result:

Spring 2021 at Doyle Field Leominster by rdc154, on Flickr

And how were you able to determine this? Have you been able to see these old/deleted attachments? That is, do you have clues, advice, test results…..?

thanks

I tried looking at my attachments again- this time the "Media" tab showed 160 posted photos and a thumbnail image, but as soon as clicked- "No Photos Found".

Something is broken.
No Photos

And to add- even though it shows No Photos, I've exceeded my Quota by 22MBytes. Broken.

My device is an iMac using Chrome. The frustrating thing is not that it happened it's that the quota kept changing to smaller and smaller sizes, each being smaller than the resized photo I was trying to post.

Agreed, something is either broken or badly bent.

I don't use Flikr or any other hosting source. Just posting off my hard drive.

My device is an iMac using Chrome. The frustrating thing is not that it happened it's that the quota kept changing to smaller and smaller sizes, each being smaller than the resized photo I was trying to post.

Agreed, something is either broken or badly bent.

I don't use Flikr or any other hosting source. Just posting off my hard drive.

Same experience here, the only diff being that I got in the habit of using iCloud Files to increase upload options from tablet and phone.

Over the years, I got in the dutiful habit of saving images @490k (1200x1800px average) in order not to get stiffed during RFF gallery uploads.

The current RFF gallery can handle larger files, and current RFF fora can, hypothetically, accept direct uploads—not just from Flickr or with extra code from the RFF gallery. We appear to be experiencing bugginess in that new image upload protocol (hypothetically direct, but inconsistent and without instructions for fixing).

Back