jonmanjiro

Staff member
Local time
3:14 AM
------------------------------------
Admin Edit
US Customers Order Here $799
------------------------------------

A new lens needs a new thread for images taken with the lens, so here we go. Feel free to post images if you have this lens!

Here's a few quick shots snapped today with my new Ultron to finish off a roll of film. Nothing artistic.

Looks pretty much distortion free to me.

Voigtlander Ultron 35mm F2 Aspherical by Jon, on Flickr

And handles shooting into the sun just fine.

I'm imagining Jon typing that post with one hand while he agitates the first roll of film shot with the new Ultron with the other...

ETA: That was said when the OP was just "stay tuned" ...

someone check the bokeh wide open and closeup, then stopped down 2 stops!

Here you go. F2 @ 1/30 then F4 at 1/8 hand held (did my best, but don't go judging sharpness from this).

F2 then F4 (I forget the shutter speeds)

F2 then F4 (again I forget the shutter speeds)

Ahhhh sorry about that, Kevin! I think I edited the original post and added photos as you were posting.

Probably! No worries. Just the detritus of a dynamic environment.

Photos look good. Nothing to complain about so far -- I suspect this lens will make lots of people happy. Always good to have another semi-fast high-quality 35 in production!

Thanks for the bokeh test, Jon!

This lens seems to be ticking a lot of boxes: no distortion, good flare resistance, bokeh with a bit of "character" wide open and smoothes out stopped down, good contrast for b&w.

Plus it has a unique physical design and cool hood, and the price isn't crazy! I'm feeling GAS-y, even though I just got out of the 35mm focal length. :D

Here's a few quick shots snapped today to finish off a roll of film. Nothing artistic.

First up, looks pretty much distortion free to me.

I see some pincushion distortion. Look at the main building’s vertical line on the right.
I see the same w my Leica Summicron 35 asph...

I see some pincushion distortion. Look at the main building’s vertical line on the right.
I see the same w my Leica Summicron 35 asph...

negligible, as is the cron asph. unless straight lines at the edges are incredibly important to you, i think its a non-issue.

I think that's actually converging verticals, though pincushion could be mixed in there. I don't really see any in the flare test shot.

Distortion and bokeh are OK with me. I like the bokeh a lot!

Thank you, Jon, for this test.

Erik.

Yeah, same with me, bokeh looks good at first sight!
I'm waiting for a bokeh comparision with the Ultron f1.7, that I own.
Maybe I'll exchange it because of size and the focus stick of the new one ;)

(my Ultron f1.7 has only a ring and I'm missing a fast lever)

Are all Ultron lenses with identical lens design? I have a 50/2 Ultron, for example.

Historically the Ultron is a double-gauss derived, non-symmetrical design. Not so with the modern ones though. Cosina seems to prefer applying the Ultron as a designation to f/2-ish lenses just the way Leica uses the Summicron name.

This one is a non-symmetrical compact retrofocal design similar to, but not exactly the same as the 35/2 ASPH.

Back