ELCAN replica lens posts

Yes, I was talking about the Hologon 15mm and 16mm. The 15mm Hologon was introduced at Photokina 1972. The 16mm Hologon was introduced towards the end of the 1990's as lens for the Contaxes G1 and G2. The 15mm had 3 elements and the 16mm 5 elements if I remember well.

Erik.

Yes, I was talking about the Hologon 15mm and 16mm. The 15mm Hologon was introduced at Photokina 1972. The 16mm Hologon was introduced towards the end of the 1990's as lens for the Contaxes G1 and G2. The 15mm had 3 elements and the 16mm 5 elements if I remember well.

Erik.

Are you referring to the 15mm Hologon for the Leica with respect to 1972? The Hologon first came out as a complete Zeiss Ikon camera which I recall from reading about it in Modern and Popular Photography magazines when I was in High School (graduated in 1972) so maybe a few years earlier for the introduction (when we were in the single coated era). I seem to recall a large format version of the lens as well. Three elements may be better for single layer coating. The middle element of the 15mm may be a challenge for LLL to make?????

The middle element was a challenge for Zeiss. Cenering of the elements, only 3, will be key. Good of LLL to give it ago, lets see what happens.

I almost got the Contax back in the 90's just for the Hologon.
It is just a killer lens.
I have a bunch of super wides for LF..Pantagonals, Protars and such..
But center filters and light fall off..are certainly all major concerns with this sort of lens.

The middle element was a challenge for Zeiss. Cenering of the elements, only 3, will be key. Good of LLL to give it ago, lets see what happens.

Will LLL update the Hologon to be digital sensor friendly? That would be awesome.

Are you referring to the 15mm Hologon for the Leica with respect to 1972? The Hologon first came out as a complete Zeiss Ikon camera which I recall from reading about it in Modern and Popular Photography magazines when I was in High School (graduated in 1972) so maybe a few years earlier for the introduction (when we were in the single coated era). I seem to recall a large format version of the lens as well. Three elements may be better for single layer coating. The middle element of the 15mm may be a challenge for LLL to make?????

The Hologon16mm/8 was never meant to be used with a Leica camera.

online pic:
IMG_8503.JPG

A Hologon replica by its very nature would not be digital friendlly. Would need to get a retrofocus voigtlander if you want that.

A Hologon replica by its very nature would not be digital friendlly. Would need to get a retrofocus voigtlander if you want that.

The CV 15mm III has been suggested for use with digital Leica cameras.

Well, it will be interesting to see if I ever get a LLL Hologon 15 replica to play with. I would probably have to use film, but who knows?

I have heard nothing of this from Kevin in over a year, when he and I last discussed Hologons. -- sort of in passing. So, we will see.

And Raid, I have the CV 15 I, which I have been told has been considerably improved. I am not even sure I ever used it on a digital body, except for the M8, which of course had the field cut.

Well, it will be interesting to see if I ever get a LLL Hologon 15 replica to play with. I would probably have to use film, but who knows?

I have heard nothing of this from Kevin in over a year, when he and I last discussed Hologons. -- sort of in passing. So, we will see.

And Raid, I have the CV 15 I, which I have been told has been considerably improved. I am not even sure I ever used it on a digital body, except for the M8, which of course had the field cut.

Hi Ed. The Hologon 16mm can be used on digital M cameras, but with the dreaded purple smear and dark vignetting sometimes, as on the M9. The 15mm seems to be even more extreme lens.
I hope that LLL make one and lend you one!

I'm curious, aside from the size, what will a Hologon with a fixed ƒ/8 aperture and a central ND filter further cutting down the light, provide the user that betters the CV 4,5/15 v.III?

I'm curious, aside from the size, what will a Hologon with a fixed ƒ/8 aperture and a central ND filter further cutting down the light, provide the user that betters the CV 4,5/15 v.III?

A side by side comparison would be useful to address such a question. The first thing that comes to mind is "perfectly rectilinear" for the Hologon. Is the CV rectilinear?

As I said in my Viewfinder article, the link to which is posted above, images with a Hologon tend to look like those taken with a less-wide lens (like a 28mm) in terms of sharpness and lack of distortion (other than the angle itself would make) toward the edges. Very good contrast and decent control of flare. A retro focus lens like the CV can be very good (I only have Version I), but there is something about non-retrofocus lenses that is subjectively and perhaps tangibly different.

The CVs - 21 -15 -12 -10 are rectilinear.

As I said in my Viewfinder article, the link to which is posted above, images with a Hologon tend to look like those taken with a less-wide lens (like a 28mm) in terms of sharpness and lack of distortion (other than the angle itself would make) toward the edges. Very good contrast and decent control of flare. A retro focus lens like the CV can be very good (I only have Version I), but there is something about non-retrofocus lenses that is subjectively and perhaps tangibly different.

The CVs - 21 -15 -12 -10 are rectilinear.

Thank you for the clarifications, Ed. I mixed up "rectilinear" with "non-retrofocus" lens characteristics. Maybe this is why I like the images from the Canon 19/3.5 and Minolta Rokkor 21/4 with flm cameras. They are non-retrofocus in design. So is the Nikkor-O 21/4 for the F Nikon cameras.

I have a really decent Jupiter-12 35/2.8 in LSM that Tom Abrahamsson gave me. It is a Biogon copy, non-retrofocus, and gives loverly images. I'll take a few this afternoon with it, if I can.

I have a really decent Jupiter-12 35/2.8 in LSM that Tom Abrahamsson gave me. It is a Biogon copy, non-retrofocus, and gives loverly images. I'll take a few this afternoon with it, if I can.

I have such a lens, but I don't recall if I ever have used it or not. Will you use it on the Monochrom?

Here are some images taken with the Jupiter - 12. The first four are all wide open. The next two are at f/8 and f/16 respectively. For the wide-open images, the point of focus should be clear enough when enlarged. The second on, at infinity, shows fall off at the edges in sharpness, as expected. The third one was looking for flare.

L1004624-Edit by woodswoman57, on Flickr

L1004625-Edit by woodswoman57, on Flickr

L1004626-Edit by woodswoman57, on Flickr

L1004627-Edit by woodswoman57, on Flickr

L1004630-Edit by woodswoman57, on Flickr

L1004631-Edit by woodswoman57, on Flickr

Thank you for these examples from your J-12, Ed. Were these images from film? The bokeh does not look great in the 4th image posted here. Old lenses often display such OOF.

Back