Recommendations for a fast 50.

^ That's a great shot. :)

I'm not sure why they messed with it, perhaps to keep costs or size in check? The 85L has floating elements and it's a bowling ball of a lens (granted it's an 85mm f/1.2 but still).

Thanks, it's one of my favorites! :)

The FD 85/1.2L is quite a big, heavy lens. Is the EF version smaller?

::Ari

Thanks, it's one of my favorites! :)

The FD 85/1.2L is quite a big, heavy lens. Is the EF version smaller?

::Ari

No, it's not. It's bulky and heavy. I focus very slowly, II has a bit improvement. It's not a lens for everyone but the images are razor sharp if you can get the sweet spot (not an easy thing to do with the shallow dof wide open).

Both are legendary lenses IMHO.

C.

Hi Brian

Hi Brian

What happens when you use an old non AI lens on these budget Nikons and simply rotate the dial? There is no mechanism to auto open them while viewing (and focusing), so wouldn't you be focusing at the aperture the lens is at?

On my D40x, the AF system works TTL (through the lens) I think, so it only verifies focus (red dot) if I am focused with the lens aperture ring is set to.

With the F3, as I move apertures, I can see focus shift (with some lenses) and touch up the focus ever so slightly, after changing aperture.

Now these new lenses without aperture rings, I don't know about them. I have some, but haven't worried about focus shift with them.

The sonnar "look" is a bit of hype, IMHO, you can get the look from a double gauss design without the focus shift, as can be seen in the PC version of the F mount 105/2.5.

Back to the C-Sonnar - I would get one if it were truly optimized for 1.5. I doubt any really are.

> Check out an older Pentax or Nikon SLR system.

I have some of those older Nikon systems. The compact SLR's such as the Nikon FG and EM did away with the DOF preview. The Pentax K-1000 and ME did not have it, either. It's not uncommon to pick up an SLR made after 1976 or so without DOF preview. On the Nikon DSLR line-up, it appears that models "below" the D70 do not have it. I am not aware of any Autofocus system that is smart enough to compensate for focus-shift when stopped down. You could make one that does it: but no one would like it as the image would appear to be out of focus through the finder, or there would be an extra lag when you press the shutter release as the body/lens refocus to take the shot.

Back to the C-Sonnar: This lens uses a 46mm filter, and the front element is larger in diameter than the older F1.5 Zeiss Sonnars of the 1930s and 1950s. Those lenses use 40.5mm filters. The larger front element means less vignetting at the edges. As focus-shift is related to the aperture of the lens, and the front element of the C-Sonnar is bigger than the older lenses, I'm guessing that could contribute to a larger focus-shift.

AMPGUY- Remember that the Non-AI lenses cannot be mounted on the newer Nikon SLR's that do not have the releasable AI index latch. The EM, FG, FE2, and newer cannot take non-AI lenses without damaging the AI ring. The FG just will not take the non-Ai lenses.

Also a good one! I have that version as well. It has floating elements, whereas the EF does not - therefore no shifting. The 85mm f/1.2L also has floating elements. It's weird that Canon chose to omit them with the 50mm f/1.2L, but the bokeh is very sweet as a result, I guess.

I have the 50/1.2L and the 85/1.2L for the Canon FD system. These two lenses are my main reason for keeping the FD system. The Canon 80-200/4L is also an amzing zoom lens.

Yes Brian

Yes Brian

The D40x (and D40, D60 and I think D90) allow any F mount lens to mount. There is nothing in the way of the fork, but also no metering of any kind.

AMPGUY- Remember that the Non-AI lenses cannot be mounted on the newer Nikon SLR's that do not have the releasable AI index latch. The EM, FG, FE2, and newer cannot take non-AI lenses without damaging the AI ring. The FG just will not take the non-Ai lenses.

On a humorous note, my Nikon E3 full-frame Digital SLR completely solves the focus shift problem and can take non-AI, AI, AIS, and AF lenses. The aperture mechanism is built into the camera body's relay lens. The lens mounted on the camera always remains at its maximum aperture. The relay lens has its own mechanism that is stopped down to control exposure. Think I'll put the 25cm f4 on it with the N-F adapter.

Back