New book - Cuba (M8)

I agree, some of the critics that has come here is too brash and not constructive.

It does not matter at all if this has been done many times before, I had a good time viewing the pictures. Most of them, and the project as a whole, is far better than what I suspect most people here in RFF are able to produce, and actually publish.

That being said, I have one question. How long did you spend in Cuba? If this was done during a trip or two, I will really be impressed. How much of your material was not used? My guess is that a maximum of 1-5% of your pictures ended up in the book, but perhaps it is more?

It really inspired me to have a look at some of my projects, I have looked at blurb and other options before, but has not come around to doing it quite yet...

I spent 10 days in Cuba. Just had one trip. I think I took about 600 pics or so, so you are correct to say I only selected a small percentage for this book.

Thanks for all the comments - very helpful

Nick

very nice work...it was very nice to see it especially before I go there as I am planning...thanks for sharing...

I think 600 images to choose from is not too much, you must have been really focused during your stay!

This thread has started me thinking of something the same... I have lots of old projects that I should like to finish up, and show at least to a limited audience.

Blurb is really interesting, especially as it is possible to share printed media across the globe - at a very reasonable price!

Do you plan on more projects yourself?

Hi Nick, nice to meet a fellow who makes such nice pictures and books... :)

I liked the layout. The pictures that bridged certain pages were well chosen to do so. The contrast of large and small pictures was well structured to lead the eye.

I found a couple pictures looked a little unnatural, but other that that bravo... I am considering to buy it. And it's certainly inspiring. I need to do the same thing for some of my projects.

It also drives a point home: the digital vs. film debate is really almost completely trivial. If you don't take the time to format the pictures in some way (prints, book, digital slide show, etc.) for viewing, who cares whether you've used digital or film. The pics are lost anyway. The only real problem with digital is is that one may never get around to actually presenting the pics and just let them sit on the hard drive....

More power to you... JP

Thanks for the comments

Only rarely did I formerly ask anyone to pose. Usually it's by eye contact, they see I want to take a photo and look at me, often before they have indicated agreement or not. Of course the occasional person who indicated straight away they didn't want a photo I didn't take (except for the man called 'Primal Scream' who was a drunk and may have been screaming at me). Those who smiled and posed, and often wanted a dollar for doing so, usually did not make such interesting photo and there are few of those in the book
I Am going to Cube in two weeks and will be using a model release in case I want to use their pictures.
Did you get a Model Release from the one's in your book?

great work! I think it's a good book with good images. My thought is that it had too many posed images. I would much prefer to see more high energy images of Cuban street life.

DAH's Cuban Soul set the bar for me when it comes street photography in Cuba. Nothing I've seen up to date comes even close to the caliber of images from that book. http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue9910/cuba01.htm

animal - Yes I have 4 more projects in my head...
And picking up on something JP said, I had not been making enough prints of any of my photos - digital or film. It's too easy to display a gallery on the internet. One thing I like about making these books is the discipline of choosing a series of photos that hopefully hang together and printing them
Ricko - I never got a model release. I fin these things too overrated and certainly not appropriate for quick street photography. If I was hoping to sell my images to a commercial firm for exploitation I would of course have to use such forms, but for this I don't think it is necessary
Ywenz - I liked the series you linked, thanks

Nick, I love the images in your new book. I have a question. What lenses did you use on your M8 for the shots?

Thanks,

MY FIRST POST!!!! Leica here I come!!!

Tobin

Yeah Nick could you please let us know which lenses you used for this beatiful work?

I agree that the images can compete with the ones in M9 catalog :)

Nick,

Overall I think it is a very good book with some compelling images. Obviously some images/layout are stronger than others, but overall very consistent. For example, I think pages 2-3 are not as strong as say 4-5 for example. The images on 12-13 are perfectly suited to the layout and perhaps the best pairing of images.

On the layout, any photos printed across the gutter indicates a lot of faith in your publisher. Looks like you were very pleased with your self publishing experience.

I really enjoyed looking at your book. You are to be congratulated.

Thanks again for the comments

The vast majority were shot with the Leitz Elmarit-M 28mm f2.8 ASPH - a lens I bought as the walkabout for my M8 (as it gave near 35 equiv, my favourite) and thus, sadly, sold when I sold my M8. (On my M6 my 35mm Summicron remains my fave lens and could never sell this, and I have a couple of CV 28s).

A few were taken with the CV 35mm f1.2 ASPH (great, great lens but bit too big), and a few more on the CV 12mm super wide (nice but too wide, sold it too and just got a new CV 15 M mount both for my M film bodies and my new toy the GF1).

Really nice book Nick! I love the Daddy Cool image. He looked fun to photograph.

Beautifully done, Nick. The layout is nice, no issues with the photo extending overleaf...I feel that it creates a sense of continuation.

By the way, how did you come across the guy on the cover of Lonely Planet? Coincidence?

Congratulations and good luck with the sales.
-Akarin

Back