Old 10-29-2010   #26
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
Third effort with TMAX100 120 film. This time the Caffenol.blogspot.com C-C-H recipe has been slightly modified, the amount of Potassium Bromide has been cut down to 0.5g/l. According the Reinhold, it can be left out altogether, making the recipe C-C-M. We will see.

Anyhow, this time @20C/68F as ever, but for 16 minutes. 1min water stop bath, 5min fix, 20min wash.

Caffenol is now officially my developer of choice, for TMAX at least. My Caffenol set on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezzie03...7625081279605/
oh yes, these are smooth!

Old 10-29-2010   #27
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Thanks Simon. Very, very happy with that roll. Trying my hand with TMAX400 at the moment, but not looking as good. Will give that another go, but it rather looks like TMAX100 and Caffenol really agree with each other. Much prefer the look you see here, than what TMAX developer has been giving me.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Zorki I| Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV | Exa
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | Kalloflex K2 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 10-29-2010   #28
paulfish4570

Eirik, wonderful 3D effect with your Kowa kit and the caffenol. This may be something I try if/when I start shooting more 120 with my Yashica A.

Old 10-29-2010   #29
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Hi Paul. Thank you. Funny you should mention the 3D effect. I've noticed it myself. Never quite seen it with any other setup. And to think its been accomplished with a 150mm?!?

My Flickr

Old 11-10-2010   #30
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Second roll of TMAX400. This time upped the potassium bromide to the Caffenol.blogspot.com recommended base level. TMAX100 seems to require no bromide at all to keep the haze in check, TMAX400 however is another matter. Even with 1g/l this second go wasn´t without quite a bit of haze, though better than the first effort. Made for an easier time in post-processing. When I next get hold of TMAX400, I´ll be upping the bromide a bit more, and adding somewhat to the development times as it to a certain degree arrests development.

Autumn at its dreariest does have its own allure. Kowa Super 66 w/85mmf2.8, TMAX400 EI 320, Caffenol-C-H @ 13m45s 20C:

My Flickr

Old 11-10-2010   #31
Thomas-Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodt16s View Post
Does this change Sodium Bicarbonate into Sodium Carbonate..? I've been looking for a consistent source of washing soda to try some caffenol dev.
Yes, you can dehydrate sodium bicarbonate by heating it to 200 C, or more slowly in solution by dissolving it in water, heating to just below a boil, and waiting. Over time the pH will rise as the bicarbonate is converted to carbonate.

Old 11-10-2010   #32
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Sodium Carbonate is evidently more difficult to get hold of in the States and in Canada than where I live. Over here it may not be available in all grocery stores, but well stocked stores do have it, as well as hardware stores. Used as a general purpose washing agent. I´ve heard that a certain pool additive is mostly sodium carbonate, used to regulate the pH of swimming pools, which is more readily available in the Americas, can be used.

And if all else fails, drying out sodium bicarbonate will work.

My Flickr

Old 11-10-2010   #33
scottyb70

You should not have a problem getting Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda in the USA.

Ezzie I just received my Potassium Bromide and will be doing 4x5 TmaX 400, what would you recommend the PB per grams a liter?

Old 11-10-2010   #34
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Hi Scotty. I´ve not concluded my tests with TMAX400 just yet. I´ve done just the two rolls of 120 as yet. If you are going to scan the negatives, I´d say 1g per litre will be fine. Haze, yes. But not too bad. The scanning process will handle it. If you are going to do wet prints I´d think 1.5g per litre would be a good starting point. For agitated development and C-C-H I´d start with the recommended 15min at 68F/20C. 10-15 agitations initially, then 3 every minutes. Slow and meticulous.

Are you going to stand develop them, or tank and agitated development? C-C-L or C-C-H? If with a tank, I´d make sure that you fill her up as much as can be done, and still have room for sloshing the developer around when agitating. The reason being the coffee foams somewhat, and its a good idea to keep the foam above the top edge of the film in between agitations. I will be adjusting the amount of developer up from 500ml to 530ml in my Paterson tank to see if I can rid myself of some uneven development at the very top of the film. Its not been much of an issue, as only a few mm´s have been afflicted, and then on only a handful of frames, but when one is in the process of trying to perfect this method, one has to persevere.

My Flickr

Last edited by Ezzie : 11-10-2010 at 07:36.

Old 11-10-2010   #35
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Another thing. I´ve found that good contrast subject material does help. Caffenol is very good at compensating highlights, so I tend to try and expose for the shadows, rather than the highlights. Contrary to others who find that pushing TMAX400 by a stop is the preferred method. I´ve found this works too, but we are entitled to have our own preferences.

Read these postings to the Caffenol blogspot for more on TMAX400 in Caffenol-C-L (for stand development mind you): http://caffenol.blogspot.com/search/label/TMax400

My Flickr

Old 11-10-2010   #36
scottyb70

I am going to be using a 4x5 stainless steel nikkor tank in a jobo tpe2 water bath kit. I am going to follow your notes and agitate develop for 15 mins with 1.5 grams/liter. Kind of hazy out today so I don't know if I will be shooting or not. I have a perkeo loading with tmax 100 but will be using the Photographers Formulary reversal process kit on the tmax 100

Old 11-10-2010   #37
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Nice Scotty

With TMAX100 I´ve used two different development times, depending on the subject contrast levels. 16 minutes for medium contrast, and 18 minutes for low contrast. I found out more or less by accident, but adding to development times to increase contrast is as far as I can see supported by accepted theory. TMAX400 requires less development, but due to the need for more PB, I´d say 15 minutes is not a bad starting point. Its Reinhold´s (Caffenol Blogspot) recommendation too. I agree that you should wait for better conditions, because if something goes astray, you´ll be better equipped to find the underlying reason.

Hope you have fun. I´ll be looking forward to your results.

My Flickr

Old 11-11-2010   #38
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

TMAX100 developed with my now standard solution and timing regime. C-C-H with 0.4g/l of potassium bromide, 16 minutes @ 20C/68F, standard agitation.

Rather different conditions on one roll didn´t seem to ruffle C-C-H´s feathers.

Afternoon, low light, low contrast:

Night shots, high contrast:

My Flickr

Old 12-01-2010   #39
Jack Conrad

I never even saw this thread...

Eirik, thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm almost out of D-76 and now seems like a good time to find the ingredients for some home made Caffenol soup.

Old 12-01-2010   #40
paulfish4570

How much additional overall time does it take you, Ezzie, to develop a roll with caffenol than with Tmax, from start to hanging the negatives to dry?

Old 12-01-2010   #41
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Hi Paul. All things are equal apart from the development itself. To start with the other stuff first. I use 1min water stop bath, fix 5min and regular wash. If you mix things every time you develop a film it will add considerably to your cycle. I don´t do this. I pre-dilute the three main ingredients triple strength and measure out 3 equal measures when developing. By doing this I need not wait for the powders to dissolve, settle and cool down. If I did it would add another 15-20 minutes. The soda generates heat, and the coffee needs hot water to dissolve properly. I avoid all this. In doing so preparations are equal to regular developer. So the only prolonging event is the development itself. Agitated development is in the region of 15 minutes. A long answer, but the short answer is 8 or 9 minutes!

How long do the dissolved mixes keep? Well I´ve got compressible bottles with sodium carbonate and ascorbic acid that are in their 8th week, and two films developed a couple of days ago, you´ve seen scans from one. The coffee mix however will keep anything up to 5-6 weeks if kept cold and airtight. It works still, but I suspect mould in the mix is not desirable.

Regarding potassium bromide as a restrainer. Yes, with faster films you will need it to inhibit haze. However TMAX100 needs it not. I use a very small amount out of habit, and because my development times are calculated with PB in mind (it slows development a tad). But you need not. TMAX 400 however would need something in the region of 1.5g/l developer.

Feel free to ask more. And follow my blog link, its mostly Caffenol related.

My Flickr

Last edited by Ezzie : 12-01-2010 at 08:58.

Old 12-02-2010   #42
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Since the outset I´ve been using Caffenol mixed from solutions I diluted two months ago. There have been a lot of discussions as to whether or not the different components will keep or not. In general its been advised against, but I find it has its benefits. You mix up large quantities to begin with, making it easier to measure up the right amounts. When developing you need not mix up the powders and wait for them to settle, and the temperatures sink to 68F. I developed two rolls the other evening, one with 8 week old pre-diluted chemicals exclusively, and the second with a new coffee solution, all else equal. I´m assuming that the coffee is the part most vulnerable to deterioration.

First roll, last frame. All old chemicals:

Second roll, second frame. New coffee mix, all else equal:

To be quite honest, I can´t see that the new coffee batch has made any difference. Both came out as expected, and very well too. Film was as usual TMAX100, 120.

My Flickr

Old 12-02-2010   #43
paulfish4570

Sharpness is just plain sick with this kit ... Your work inspires me, Ezzie.

That kind of sharpness for abstracts is the only reason I am thinking of upgrading from a Yashica A to what? A Kowa? Bronica?
But I have to have eye level viewing. The waist level view is extremely difficult for me to coordinate with the reversed view, tilting lines due to changing hand posture, outside-the-viewfinder awareness, and such.

Last edited by paulfish4570 : 12-02-2010 at 06:50.

Old 12-02-2010   #44
maddoc
... likes film.

Very inspiring thread and excellent photos ! I have to try Tmax100 in 4x5 with this ....

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 12-02-2010   #45
dfoo

Anyone have a good source of potassium bromide in Canada?

Some of my work - http://silverprint.posterous.com/

Old 12-02-2010   #46
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
Sharpness is just plain sick with this kit ... Your work inspires me, Ezzie.

That kind of sharpness for abstracts is the only reason I am thinking of upgrading from a Yashica A to what? A Kowa? Bronica?
But I have to have eye level viewing. The waist level view is extremely difficult for me to coordinate with the reversed view, tilting lines due to changing hand posture, outside-the-viewfinder awareness, and such.
Thanks Paul. But you have to remember this is MF (OK, so´s your 124) and I´ve used f11 to f16 for most of these shots. It should be sharp(ish). I use Caffenol-C-H or C-M which is OK with respect to grain, but I´ve heard that Caffenol-C-L stand developer is even better. TMAX evidently takes very well to Caffenol.

Finder? No problem there Paul. Most, if not all, the 6x6 SLR´s have interchangeable finders, WLF, prism 45 and 90 degrees, with and without TTL metering etc. Most also have different focusing screens too. My WLF has a magnifier, where the occular can be exchanged. So you have a plethora of opportunities to fit you style.

EDIT: Me ending up with this combination. Paul, its just a stroke of luck, chance, whatever you call it. I started off with TMAX when home developing because its the film I´d used the most previously. I ended buying the Kowa because its a bit different, I like that. Rather than a Bronica or Mamiya in the same price bracket. I ended up with Caffenol, also because its different, and its home brew, DIY, whatever - I like that too. Reminds me, I need to take my DIY 6x12 camera out for a spin, and process the results in Caffenol. See how that does.

My Flickr

Last edited by Ezzie : 12-02-2010 at 21:50.

Old 12-11-2010   #47
meven

Here are some shots from my first roll developed in Caffenol. I hope you don't mind me posting in your thread.

Film: Ilford Pan 100 @ ISO100

Caffenol Formula for 500mL solution:
* 6tsp Washing Soda
* 2tsp Vitamin C
* 5tsp Coffee
* 1/4tsp Kbr

15 minutes @ 25°C. Very gentle agitation every 2 minutes

I am loving the results!

Flickr l Instagram

Old 12-12-2010   #48
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

I don't mind at all. Please do post anything related to Caffenol. I must say your results are stunning. They exhibit what I like about Caffenol, fine grain, well controlled highlights, good shadow detail, and lovely smooth midtones. Good job!

Your recipe seems to be rather similar to the one I'm using. I'm now going to test it on Acros 100, but it would seem I have to add Pan 100 to the to do list.

My Flickr

Old 12-14-2010   #49
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

On the recommendation of Reinhold of Caffenol.blogspot.com I´ve now dispensed with Potassium Bromide as a restrainer for TMAX100. It doesn´t need it. My findings confirm this:

0.2g/l PB:

No PB at all:

My Flickr

Old 12-14-2010   #50
f16sunshine

There are some very stunning scenes here! The 3rd is particularly Wow!
I'm inspired as well to get the kit together to try Caffenol.
I wonder have you tried Rollei Retro 80s yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
On the recommendation of Reinhold of Caffenol.blogspot.com I´ve now dispensed with Potassium Bromide as a restrainer for TMAX100. It doesn´t need it. My findings confirm this:

0.2g/l PB:

No PB at all: