Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Old 02-24-2016   #1201
davidnewtonguitars

That's a good looking rig Hannes. I guess with a Contax mount there aren't adjustment issues like with Fed/Zorki?

I Just because part of the FSU family :-)
Old 02-28-2016   #1202
mooney

I Just because part of the FSU family :-)

I picked up as many as I could at one time to save on shipping and determine which one I like best. I thought I might just keep one or two and sell the others, but that is proving harder then expected :-) I guess I just need to buy 3 more lenses for the others and keep them all LOL.

Does anyone know if I will have any issues using the Jupiter 12 35mm lens with any of these? I'm wondering about curtain clearance. The FED 1 has a semi-circular deformation in the curtain, maybe from a deep lens mounting, and hoping it's still light tight. Any idea how this happens if not from mounting an incorrect lens on it? I need to test it of course.

Any reason to choose a Fed vs. Zorki other then preferred appearance? I liked the looks of the FEDs better, but I am feeling the urge to buy the Zorki models as well.

Meet my FED 1, 2, early 3 & later 3 (not sure if that's how you refer to the 2 different model 3 cameras)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00325.jpg (28.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00325 (1).jpg (25.8 KB, 24 views)

Old 02-28-2016   #1203
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney View Post

Does anyone know if I will have any issues using the Jupiter 12 35mm lens with any of these?

I have Zorki-1,4,6 and Fed-2. The only problematic body with J-12 is the Fed-2 (even my Canon 7 works well with J-12). I had to push the rangefinder coupling arm upward before mounting to make J-12 work on it properly, otherwise the rangefinder is off because the arm is pushed by the rear lens group.

Old 02-28-2016   #1204
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney View Post

Any reason to choose a Fed vs. Zorki other then preferred appearance? I liked the looks of the FEDs better, but I am feeling the urge to buy the Zorki models as well.

Meet my FED 1, 2, early 3 & later 3 (not sure if that's how you refer to the 2 different model 3 cameras)
Hi,

The 3's, like all the others, were given letters as well to distinguish them, like FED 3d and so on (usually on the passport). Normally I'd say where to look to find all the varieties but I don't want to be the first to push you down that slippery slope...

BTW, I've no problems with the mixing of former USSR lenses and bodies, just beware of 39mm mounts from the Zenits when looking for lenses.

Regards, David

Old 03-18-2016   #1205
David Hughes

Hi,

Another ex USSR camera and lens:-

and another view, over-exposed to show a little more detail:-

Regards, David

Old 03-29-2016   #1206
kotokot21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Thanks, I'd wondered about it and am wondering if they'll ever do a "black" version of (say) the FED 1 etc. OTOH, I can't justify buying one just for its looks...

Regards, David

David, all these black versions are aftermarket mods. But damn, thay are nice! There's one black Zorki-4 currently for sale in Moscow for approx. $43.

https://www.avito.ru/moskva/fototehn...rnyy_627961319

Having said that, I'd like to show the Zorki-4 I've bought recently (in attachment). I want to take some care of it. Sadly, Aki-asahi told me they do not cut leatherettes for this model with strap lugs, but I'm trying with cameraleather. Also, I'd like to replace the top plate with the one with engraved logo and shutter settings. But mechanically it's great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zorki-4.jpg (27.9 KB, 15 views)

Old 04-20-2016   #1207
DanskDynamit

Just arrived.
Zorki 4K with matching Industar 50 both from very early 1975 (I'm from February '75 too)

Old 05-17-2016   #1209
Don Promillo

My RED Analogue Camera

Now I only have to find a way to make the self release and the long exposures work. A CLA should do the trick, but at the moment Oleg from Russia can't do it (because of fire damage to his home ) and since the fast shutter times are running, I declare the condition as "Ready to shoot".

The red leather is from Aki-asahi in Japan, I have just added two small holes for the strap lugs. The strap was bought from the UK and the camera is now being used here in Germany. Who would have thought about that being possible 50 years ago when it was built
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20160518_063041.JPG (69.9 KB, 5 views)

Old 05-19-2016   #1210
systemdevice

Hi!
I was searching for a sale thread on this forum, but since I didn't manage to find it, I uploaded here some photos of one of my FSU rangefinders, a functional Zorki 4k camera with Industar 61, 52mm, f/2.8.
The cover is from genuine leather and is printed with European folk motifs.
Do you like it?

Old 07-11-2016   #1211
Hannes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
That's a good looking rig Hannes. I guess with a Contax mount there aren't adjustment issues like with Fed/Zorki?
I had no problem with focus not beeing accurate, even on short distance with lens wide open the focusing was accurate. Th eonly drawback is some light leaks in this body, next time I'll take a younger one.

Hannes

Old 07-11-2016   #1212
Hannes

My Zorki-3 with a low 1955 serial number, matching Jupiter 8 lens, leather case and original film casette for spooling your own film.
According to sovietcams.com it is type PM1290, fotoua.com lists it as type 5d (CT1208).

I love the look of this camera, espicially because its seperated low speed dial.

The camera is very clean, works like a charm, even the low speeds. Does anybody know the purpose of the white card in the back of the camera case?

I never have seen this type of film casettes before.

Hannes

Old 07-11-2016   #1213
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
My Zorki-3 with a low 1955 serial number, matching Jupiter 8 lens, leather case and original film casette for spooling your own film.
According to sovietcams.com it is type PM1290, fotoua.com lists it as type 5d (CT1208).

I love the look of this camera, espicially because its seperated low speed dial.

The camera is very clean, works like a charm, even the low speeds. Does anybody know the purpose of the white card in the back of the camera case?

I never have seen this type of film casettes before.

Hannes
Beautiful camera. Z-3 looks best to me among the Z-3/4/mir range. I'd pick one up if I didn't wear eye-glass.

I think the card is for the photog to write down exposure information (speed, f/* ).

Today digital cameras use EXIF.

Old 07-12-2016   #1214
David Hughes

Hi,

The little pocket in the back was the same in the pre-war Leicas and could hold several things.

There was also a UK version of the import duty card.

The plastic card for pencil notes had square cut corners for the Leica and the USSR version was slightly bigger with rounded corners.

Regards, David

Old 07-19-2016   #1215
tyrone.s

Several months ago I purchased this Kiev 4AM (SN8450540) on eBay as a body only in 'perfect' working condition. I was curious as to how terrible the really terrible quality I've read regarding the late Kiev, really was. 84 isn't the last year of production, I think that was 85. Well, I matched it up to an 82' serial number Helios 103 that I've had lying around for nearly 8 years or so. Both work great and the build quality of the Kiev 4 greatly exceeded my expectations. Certainly the camera's more cheaply made than earlier examples. But it's decades younger as well.

The revised rewind knob (slightly askew in my copy), bottom plate with an integrated rewind release built into one of the bottom plate release catches, the 1/1000th speed setting, all make for, in my opinion, a more 'modern' rendering of the 1930's Contax design. Overall, a pleasant shooter. As a bonus the standard VC meter (the one where the base tab locates the meter body towards the left) will fit on this model because the revised rewind knob (just) allows the room.

"Behind the 8 Ball"

Old 1 Week Ago   #1216
sergioTM

Hi from Spain, I show you my Fed 3. I also have a Jupiter 12.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1217
Fotohuis

Just a "new" J-12 and J-9 directly from Ukraine for my Kiev-4AM. I have paid US$ 35 for both.