Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Are you both a photographer and shooting enthusiast?
Yes 182 51.12%
No 174 48.88%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2005   #51
DougK
This space left blank

I don't own any firearms, nor have I ever, but I did in fact enjoy my time on rifle team in college and all weapons qualification in the Army. For some reason, I've always found it relaxing, probably because I have to force myself not to be tense the same way I do in photography.

Old 04-15-2005   #52
Roger Hicks

Colt National Match c. 1935, Ruger single-action magnum, stainless.

Lots of Leicas, a 1972 Land Rover Series III, a 1978 BMW R100RS...

Cheers,

Roger

Old 04-15-2005   #53
FrankS

Leica, Rolleiflex, BMW R90/6, R100/7

Old 04-15-2005   #54
Roger Hicks

Forgot to add: Empire Test, Marksman. Do they still have the Empire Test in the army?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com, www.motorcycletouringineurope.com)

Old 04-15-2005   #55
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
I also suspect that a part of it might be the appreciation of fine machinery. Great classic SLRs and rangefinders have that essence of the awesome about them, such that they transcend being merely recorders of photons on film, objects of glass and steel, and become imbued with something that, if not an actual soul, is very much like one in many respects.
that's definitely the case with me.. I was drawn to handguns because of the mechanical aspects.. and like cameras, I learned that newer is not necessarily better.. my first handgun was a H&K USP40, which I bought because it touted the newest technology.. same thing for my first camera, a Nikon D70

now I own a Kimber CDP, which is built on the Browning 1911 design.. and my favorite camera is a Yashica GSN.. with a Bessa R3A soon on its way.. and eventually a Leica (model still undetermined)

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 04-15-2005   #56
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I would love to own a handgun but another hobby???!!!
My wife would shoot me then take one of the cameras and shoot me again to warn any others who try the same !!!
pf

Old 04-15-2005   #57
nwcanonman

My mom said I was born with a gun in my hand (watch it!), since as a kid I supplied the myself and the neighbors kids with toy guns playing army, cowboys/indians and cops/robbers.
The photography came later, around age 8, using dad's Brownies's and Polaroids.
The old rangefinders are much easier on the wallet than new pistols these days, and not as much Paperwork to own either - LOL.

Old 04-15-2005   #58
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

I don't know how I missed this thread until today. I also own firearms and cameras. I have an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt that I did NOT have modified with the new "improved" transfer bar type hammer. It just sounds better when it is cocked than the new model does. I also like the way my Contax IIa and IIIa sound when they are cocked and shot.

I also believe that being a rifle and handgun shooter helps with being a steady hand with a camera. But, having said that, I have shot enough that I know I can do better if I use a rest when shooting a rifle and a tripod when shooting a camera.

Along those same lines I think being a trap and skeet shooter along with being a bird hunter helps with the rangefinder style of seeing the photo oppurtunity and quickly "capturing" the moment.

I might mention that I also reload my ammo, mould my own bullets, make my own feather fletching for my arrows and develop and print my black & white film at home.

I shoot traditional bows (no wheels or cams on the limbs, no Kung-Fu laser sight devices, or releases). It's not that I have any thing against those types of compound bows, they, just like digital cameras, are not right for me.

I have a box full of medals around here some place that supposedly says I am a half way decent shot with a rifle, but I don't shoot near as much as I did as a youth.

Interesting thread.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 04-15-2005   #59
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
Leica, Rolleiflex, BMW R90/6, R100/7
Frank, I'd love to see some pics of your bimmers

not to mention a few of the shooters everyone listed

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 04-15-2005   #60
kiev4a

It interesting that just about any film camera forum seems to have quite a few folks interested in guns, too. Probably is the mechanical angle.
I used to shoot a lot -- Colt Combat Commander (just like my Leotax I wish I hadn't sold it). Still have the war surplus 1917 Enfield in my closet that my dad customized about 1949 as well as my late father-in-law's French Labelle bolt action (there's no safety!!). I hunted until my late 40s but found I enjoyed the companionship of the people on a deer hunt more than the actual hunting. Have no problem with people who hunt for meat but don't have much use for folks who trophy hunt. I think you tend to get more sensitive as you get older. Stll, if I didn't spend so much time a money on cameras I would probably has a civilian model AR-15 with the heavy match barrel in my closet. Never know when we might have to repell the Communist Hordes!!

Old 04-15-2005   #61
DougK
This space left blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
Forgot to add: Empire Test, Marksman. Do they still have the Empire Test in the army?

Cheers,

Roger
I'm not familiar with that test (at least by that name). Our rifle qualification was done against pop-up man-sized torso targets at ranges from 50m - 300m, although for competitive smallbore rifle I punched a ridiculous number of holes into traditional 25m bullseye targets as well.

Old 04-15-2005   #62
Flinor

Anyone who has ever advanced the film on a Leica M3 and then cocked the hammer on a Colt Python will understand the similarity of precision products designed and engineered for a single purpose.

Happiness is a CLE with a collapsible Summicron, loaded with Scala.

Old 04-15-2005   #63
Doug

Modern and... not so modern!
Vektor CP1 (South Africa) and Bergmann-Bayard (Danish production)

Old 04-15-2005   #64
Peter
Voigtlander Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Modern and... not so modern!
Vektor CP1 (South Africa) and Bergmann-Bayard (Danish production)
Hi Doug, you have a Bergmann-Bayard in your collection!

My RFF Gallery
My PBase Gallery

Old 04-15-2005   #65
FrankS

For me it is the appreciation of fine mechanical design and engineering.

Old 04-15-2005   #66
agfa100

I just punch paper, 10 meter air pistol & a Benelli MP-95e with a custom Nill grip, keeps me out of trouble.

Old 04-15-2005   #67
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Hi Doug, you have a Bergmann-Bayard in your collection!
Hi Peter -- Yes, you are familiar with it? The Belgians licensed the design from a German company and sold a bunch of them mostly to the militaries of Spain and Denmark before World War I. This was the origin of the cartridge now commonly called "9mm Largo." After the war, the Danes wanted some more, but the Belgian tooling had been destroyed, so they licensed its production in the Danish Royal Arsenal in Copenhagen.

Only 2204 were manufactured. This one was made in 1924, and is a transitional model between the early and late variations. And the wood grips in their characteristic pattern came from a later arsenal refit. Some history like this gives the piece some character!

The Vektor above is rare too, becuase shortly after commercial distribution, I think within a year, they were recalled to the factory due to a safety-related concern. The company tracked down all the buyers and offered inducements to buy them back. I ignored them... The gun was never reissued with the problem resolved. So I don't know how few others exist.

And beneath the modernistic styling, the mechanical design is interesting too, as it's a "gas-retarded blowback" design like the HK P7, Heritage Stealth, and the rare Chinese Norinco 77B. About the only characteristics it shares with the Bergmann-Bayard is the 9mm bore (it takes the common 9mm Parabellum), and the manual safety integrated with the front of the trigger guard.

Well... that's gun collector chatter; now back to our talk of cameras old and new...

Old 04-15-2005   #68
Doug

Forgot to mention that my two illustrations were done without a camera; the guns were simply laid on the platten of the flatbed scanner and scanned.

Browning N65?
Old 05-30-2005   #69
davidcreede

Browning N65?

think of it, a handgun that weighs 5 ounces, made entirely of polycarbonate, except the barrel it would be aluminium, auto everything, automatic sight adjustment, automatic loading, automatic cocking, automatic magazine release, i mean really, who would want manual features at all?

Old 05-30-2005   #70
doubs43

Doug, are you familiar with the Czech CZ-52 service pistol? A lot of them have been imported in recent years, chambered for the 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge which the Czechs hot-rodded to roughly 1600 fps. Anyway, Century Arms brought some in with a second, 9mm Parabellum (Luger) chambered barrel and also sold some with only the 9mm barrel. I have one that has had the Luger chamber opened up to accept the 9mm Largo. I haven't shot it much but the Largo feeds through the mag perfectly. I reload the Largo cartridge using 38 Super dies and keep the velocities reasonable. I have several other pistols that also fire the Largo cartridge.

Walker

Old 05-30-2005   #71
TPPhotog

I don't have them now as it's too much hassle in the UK to own firearms, plus my current wife hates them. I used to shoot smallbore target rifle for about 10 or 12 years. I was represented the County for about 3 years and also represented the Police Force I was with for 4 years.

Old 05-30-2005   #72
Doug

Very cool, Walker! I too had the chamber in the 9mm bbl (furnished by Century with the CZ-52) lengthened to 9mm Largo/9x23mm Winchester dimensions for more reliable feeding. Sort of defeated the purpose of the 9x17 barrel though, intended to make the CZ more salable through accepting such common ammo. Oh well, whatever works!

Consulting with Wolff Springs, we came up with a stronger recoil spring to control battering (I see they now offer a couple of spring choices for this model), and avoid launching spent cases into orbit. 38 ACP and 38 Super have a bit larger rim, so they didn't extract or feed well in mine. I use 9x23 Win dies, as the Super's web diameter is a bit smaller. I figure standard-pressure loads for 9mm Largo should be plenty safe in this barrel...

Sounds like we've been having some similar fun with these!

Old 05-30-2005   #73
tekgypsy
TekGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott
I also believe that being a rifle and handgun shooter helps with being a steady hand with a camera. But, having said that, I have shot enough that I know I can do better if I use a rest when shooting a rifle and a tripod when shooting a camera.

I shoot traditional bows (no wheels or cams on the limbs, no Kung-Fu laser sight devices, or releases). It's not that I have any thing against those types of compound bows, they, just like digital cameras, are not right for me.

I have a box full of medals around here some place that supposedly says I am a half way decent shot with a rifle, but I don't shoot near as much as I did as a youth.

Interesting thread.

Wayne
and another Wayne here.... 18 months as a markmanship instructor at MCRD Parris Island... always shot high expert with the rifle (couldn't hit the floor with a pistol), went for tyro on the rifle/pistol team

don't own any weapons at all now... the limp-wristed congress critters haven't outlawed cameras... yet.

i have already indicated my photo technique (or lack thereof) in the Street Ninjas thread....

there are a lot of similarities...

Anyone want to trade for my HK P7PSP?
Old 05-30-2005   #74
sychan

Anyone want to trade for my HK P7PSP?

I'm also a shooter, but haven't been shooting guns much since I started shooting cameras. There's a HK P7 PSP in my safe that I've been trying to decide what to do with (talk about fine German mechanical devices - it makes my Leica M2 seem coarse and primitive).

Anyone want to trade me some RF gear of comparable value for it? I'm not kidding!

ps.
You guys shooting the CZ-52s are aware that the decockers on those are kind of squirrelly and have been known to act as a second trigger at times, right?!! I'm not some kind of HK snob either - I used to own a CZ PCR, and have lusted after a CZ-75SA for a while.

Old 05-30-2005   #75
Doug

Bit of danger of this turning into the Gunslinger Forum! Yeah, I knew about the unfortunate unreliability of the CZ-52 decocker, good to keep that in mind. There've also been incidents with other pistols' decockers, so I just don't use them at all... Probably a good idea to let the hammer down gently in any case.

You've got a gem, there, sychan in the P7, a very innovative and excellent design. Very fast into action too; designed for police use and good in that role. I think yours is the first variation, isn't it; direct predecessor of the P7 M8. Mine is the little P7 K3 model...