Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Are you both a photographer and shooting enthusiast?
Yes 182 51.12%
No 174 48.88%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2004   #26
Tim
Amateur Leicabater

Quote:
Originally posted by bmattock
Tim,

Three words for you:

Vincent. Black. Shadow.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
drooooooooooollllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!! YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

two problems - 1/ money (they are bloody expensive) 2/ the better half

tim

Old 11-30-2004   #27
Laika

I'm a long time shooter, there isn't many types I haven't been into over the years (99.9% target shooting of some sort btw). A high school buddy and I joined a local pistol club when we were 14yrs old and are still members today (23yrs later ), my friend now makes his living making small arms projectiles and I for a few years was a gun dealer and a Glock armourer but gave it all up for a job that actually paid the bills. As has been mentioned by others I think the attraction of finely made firearms crosses over to classic cameras, it does for me anyway. But that said I know a lot of shooter but not many that are into photography but most can appreciate a nicely made classic camera.

Old 11-30-2004   #28
r-brian

Bill

I have nothing against hunting. In fact, I have a degree in Wildlife Management. I grew up hunting, ergo my degree. (I just love the word 'ergo'.) I've humanely harvested my share of small and large game, spring turkey hunting being my favorite. Even had some worthless bird dogs years ago when I lived in Virginia. Still own some classic guns, 22 cal.Winchester Model 69 (circa late 1940's), 22 cal. Mossberg Model 44M (circa late 1940's) and a 20 gauge Remington Model 670, which I've had since 1967.

Brian

Old 11-30-2004   #29
taffer
void

Quote:
Originally posted by Pherdinand
Yeah, how's that for old mechanical things...a bow
<gamer mode=on>
OF COURSE THAT'S GREAT !

BUAHAHAHAHA...
<gamer mode=off>

True that classic guns and classic cameras seem to have so many things in common. I pretty much prefer the second ones though, it doesn't hurt that much if I accidentally shoot my own foot

Last edited by taffer : 09-21-2007 at 23:28.

Old 11-30-2004   #30
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

Quote:
Originally posted by r-brian
Bill

I have nothing against hunting. In fact, I have a degree in Wildlife Management. I grew up hunting, ergo my degree. (I just love the word 'ergo'.) I've humanely harvested my share of small and large game, spring turkey hunting being my favorite. Even had some worthless bird dogs years ago when I lived in Virginia. Still own some classic guns, 22 cal.Winchester Model 69 (circa late 1940's), 22 cal. Mossberg Model 44M (circa late 1940's) and a 20 gauge Remington Model 670, which I've had since 1967.

Brian
Brian,

Beg pardon, I misunderstood the basis of your statement regarding taking photos of game vs. shooting them with firearms. You were being literal - I sensed a message!

It's all those years of being a smoker - and a gun owner - I got used to being an 'oppressed minority' of sorts, facing disapproval at every turn...

Mea Culpa,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-30-2004   #31
sfaust

I never hunted, but owned a number of firearms over the years and still have some to this day. For me, it was all about appreciation of the mechanical aspects, and a personal challenge to take a very small object traveling at 2,000mph and put it dead center in small black circle at 100yards or longer.

I started with .22 and 30-06 in my early 20's, and have had something ever since. I got my first camera in my teens, and have always had a camera ever since. There seems to be a connection!

Hunting never appealed to me in the slightest. I just couldn't look a deer int he eye, then kill it. However, I understand how hunting is a part of mankind, and has been ever since, well, since however and whenever we got here on this planet.

There are no moral aspects of firearms with me. That lies squarely on those that use them inappropriately, and shouldn't be a burden on those that don't. I feel the same toward knifes, rope, hammers, autos, bricks, or any other object used inappropriately to harm others.

I currently have a Sig P229, Taurus .357, Colt AR-15, and a Colt Pocket 9. I used to be a police officer in my way past, and I think firearms just stayed with me on part because of all the training, practice, and just because...

Hey, thats funny. I just realized my signature line about never being is jail is incorrect. I was in jails all the time. I used to bring people there a lot!!! I guess I should change to read I never spend the night in jail!

Last edited by sfaust : 11-30-2004 at 08:37.

Old 11-30-2004   #32
Doug

Hey Stephen; cool: another Colt Pocket 9! Couldn't be all that many of those around, they were made so briefly. Like the Bessa-T? I too have a police connection in the past as a Reserve for 10 years... valuable experience.

Old 11-30-2004   #33
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Bill

I hear you about the " oppressed minority of sorts" bit being in the same boat. Cheer up I think there is a movement to ban junk food so we will have lots of company.

Bob

Old 11-30-2004   #34
sfaust

Doug. I almost gave away the Pocket 9. Its a lousy shooter, but its packs in real small places

I spent about 12 years in law enforcement at various levels. Worked quite a few of the NE Patriots games in the Zoo (stadium). I got lured away by big money in networking back when the internet was still a dirt road. Best choice I ever made

Old 11-30-2004   #35
doubs43

"cool: another Colt Pocket 9!"

I don't have a Colt Pocket 9 but I do have that Colt Woodsman I first fired in 1948. My father bought it new in 1927 and it still has the standard velocity main spring housing. It also has one of the nicest triggers you'll ever find on a pistol of it's type.... a factory hand-honed sear and hammer set installed shortly after being bought. Some day it will go to my son.

Old 11-30-2004   #36
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Oh boy, this group keeps getting more interesting. I worked for a gunsmith in the 70's while I was finishing highschool. That was just as the patents on the Colt 1911 were expiring and lots of folks were building "clone guns" in an amazing variety of fit and finish. I loved that job for e few reasons. I got to learn the 1911 very well and I got paid pretty good money for a teenager. We put the guns together during the week and then on Saturdays would take them to one of the local gun clubs and test fire them. 3 or 4 magazines through each gun. Then at the end of the day the boss would unbox or unwrap something from his collection. That was a dream! I shot an astounding number of different pistols and revolvers that I will likely never own. And we were still on the clock!
Beside the cool factor and the money I loved that job for one other reason: I was a teenager and my parents hated that I worked for a gunsmith. I have long since gotten that out of my system, thank goodness!
About that same time I found my dad's old Argus C3 in it's bag and asked him to show me how to use it and haven't been withou a camera since.
One major difference between cameras and guns: Its easier (and legal) to make your own cameras. And while I have no problem watching while any one builds/uses their cameras-- if the gun is homemade then I'll be happy to hear the results some other time I just remembered I have anything else to do just now.
Rob
Almost forgot, I have shot my foot once at the beginning of almost every roll of film I'v ever loaded into my Olypus Stylus cameras(1st and now Epic version)to check flah and film advance.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Last edited by rbiemer : 11-30-2004 at 15:20.

Old 11-30-2004   #37
st3ph3nm
Itinerant Photographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug

I got involved in reloading, too, akin to darkroom work, and treated the firing range as a testing lab.
Please tell me you don't reload in the dark!

I'm a "no" vote here. I was kinda into guns a little as a kid - my brothers were in a re-enactment society that had (at the time) the only working horse-drawn artillery piece (a 4pdr. IIRC) in Australia. Very cool watching it getting run across the MCG - much to the groundsman's dismay! So they also had muzzle loaders (old Martinis and the like) and did a little hunting (but with more modern stuff - 30/30's and Lee Enfields). So guns don't bother me. Hunting for food doesn't bother me, either, much. I'm a vegetarian myself, but that's because I, myself, couldn't pull the trigger. So by my own personal code, it seems hypocritical to ask someone else to do it for me. Easier to just not eat them, and restrain myself to patting and photographing them.

I *do* believe that there's a strong link on the engineering viewpoint that connects the two hobbies - and as others have mentioned, old cars, planes boats & whathaveyou. I just had a customer buy an 1971 Ferrari, and I can't wait for him to bring it in and show me the SIX (count 'em!) side-draught Webers on it!

Cheers,
Steve

Old 12-01-2004   #38
rover

So, the last two times I went hunting...

I was in a field with my brother and father in a line, I was in the middle. We were going up a little hill, my brother was slightly ahead, and higher up than me to my left. I took a step, scared up a really big rabbit that darted forward to the left. It quickly was out of my shooting area, safety first, my brother was over there, but right in front of him, perfect shot. He was like Elmar Fudd fiddling with his gun and dropping his hat while I watched the bouncing white tail of the big bunny bound over the crest of the hill. He actually muttered, “What do I do now?"....

The last time, I think in the same area, I heard a rustling at my feet. I looked down, into a shrubby thing, and there stood a beautiful pheasant. Um, really, at my feet, he could have pecked my boots. So there I stood, gun in hand, bird at foot with a dilemma. You just don't blast the little sucker, it is unsporting, and there would be nothing left to eat!!! Choice two, kick the bugger to get him to fly. Well, that didn't seem right to me either. I hung out with him for a little while, we talked, and then I just moved on. He just poked around under the brush while I was there, and I really wished I had a camera...

I voted no. My father is a regularly unsuccessful hunter (now you know where I get it from) and avid shooter. He actually used to work for Winchester, late 60s early 70s. There are a couple guns in his collection that are mine for the taking, but I do not own one myself. I have not gone shooting since I was in college.

That being said, there is mechanical beauty in firearms, but they are really works of engineering simplicity. There are a number of major firearm manufactures in CT. I have had the opportunity to tour a number of them, and good fortune to count some as my customers. Marlin Firearms is a very well run clean shop, but it is just that, a big machine shop. I was told many times by the folks I dealt with there that what they do is simple and by no means high tech. I also had an opportunity to tour Colt's Firearms. Colt has been in bankruptcy and on the verge of disaster for probably 20 years. In my years of experience, theirs was the worst manufacturing facility I have ever seen, of any type. But, they still turn out a decent product. I guess my point is that their attraction my be the beauty of simplicity, like an M3, or whatever your nostalgic self enjoys.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-03-2005   #39
dont45

I'm rather shocked by this relationship between guns and photographers. I grew up in the midwest where a gun was as common, and as unthreatning as a baseball. I became interested in photography in the 8th grade, so it's been guns and cameras ever since. I think the comment about liking fine made machines may be right on for me. I just love the fine side-by-side double barrels. A few years ago I bought a new ou Beretta. It's nice, but I never shoot it. I go back to my 1905 English double.
I just bought an MP and shot my first couple of rolls of film. I'm not a leica nut, but I'll tell you that of every camera I've ever touched or used, this one is no comparison. It must be like a Rolex -- I never owned one, but I'm sure glad I sprung for the MP. When I think about the old English gun, and what some of you've said about the M3, I think I understand where you're comming from.
Anyway, what a great array of topics and contributions here. I never know what I'll find, but it's always interesting and often useful.
Thanks
Don Thompson

III, M6, MP, M8, M Monochrom
28 Cron, 50 Cron, 75Lux, 90mm APO

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1014'>My Gallery</a>

Old 02-03-2005   #40
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I have a Ruger 10-22 and a Ruger P97 (.45) but rarely shoot them.
I just put holes in paper targets, never had a desire for hunting.
Never was into collecting guns, so thats all I have. Tried skeet
shooting recently for the first time, seemed pretty easy to hit them.

Old 02-03-2005   #41
Doug

At one time I collected guns, and learned what a black hole collecting can be! That's why I now constantly examine my motives for wanting a new piece of camera gear. I don't want to fall into the trap again!

Old 02-03-2005   #42
aizan

archery, too!

Old 02-03-2005   #43
RubenBlaedel
photoholic imaginist

In Denmark you need a weapons permit to carry a a pocket knif if the blade is more than 5 cm so I dropped the whole gun collectiong business before i got into it- but i did shoot in a club once and I think that the breathing techniques the trainer told me helped me do hand held shots at at least two stops slower without camera shakes.

Old 02-03-2005   #44
Doug

Very good point, Ruben! I too think I can better hand-hold a camera at a slow shutter speed due to techniques learned in competitive rifle shooting.

Old 02-04-2005   #45
CraigK

I came upon this topic as I took a break from writing an article about photography and hunting.

Very a propos non?

So let me start off by saying: My name is Craig and I like guns.

(group reply) "Hi Craig"

I am also an artist, photographer, photography educator, self confessed dog nut and lover of jazz and peaty scotch.

I should also mention that when I say "I like" or "I'm into" something I actually mean that I am in so deeply you'd need Jacques Cousteau in a diving bell to pull me out.

Guns? Ya I've got a safe full of 'em despite living in Canada, the home of the 2 billion dollar gun registration program that makes about as much sense as putting a thong on a flatulent rhino. In fact I'm in the market for another gun. I am leaning towards an Aya #2 16 guage but my obsession for a Leica M3 keeps getting in the way of that purchase.....

Photography? Check. What started out as a hobby 20 some years ago is now my profession. I am a commercial photographer specializing in being a generalist in a mid sized Canadian city. My studio is of course mainly digital now with all kinds of bits and bites flying around daily but all of my staff shooters are well versed in the traditional ways and some have even caught the RF bug.

Educator? Check. I earned eductation related degrees in Manitoba and Quebec and ended up teaching in the public school system. What did I do when I got out after swearing I would never teach again? Yup, I started a photography school. We have 16 full time students in a 10 month diploma program and welcome over 700 part time enthusiasts to evening courses throughout the year.

Dog? Triple Check... we have three. Two Weimaraners and and an Epagneul de Pont Audemer. I am currently writing a book on the various pointing breeds from continental Europe and travel in North America and Europe photographing dogs with a variety of cameras including my trusty rangefinders.

Jazz and peaty scotch? Stay tuned. I will post some photos of this weekend's concert by Luciana Sousa and I will drink a toast of Ardbeg to all my new friends at RFF

Cheers!

Old 02-04-2005   #46
Brian Sweeney

I have not fired a gun in many years, but still have a few. AR-1, Bolt-Action 22LR that my dad gave me when I turned 10, and an 1891 Mauser. I have enough property to legally fire the 22LR in my back yard, but I have not. We have a lot of deer around the area, yesterday 6 came through at once. They are fairly tame, but manage to notice whenever I have a telephoto. Some of my friends hunt, and would love to try out the backyard. I tell them that would be fine, they will be dodging bullets, my Wife has the AR-1, a banana clip, and the high ground...

Old 02-04-2005   #47
d30gaijin
Noctilusting

To say I'm also a shooting enthusiast would be a slight understatement. For starters I live on and manage the local public shooting range (rifle and pistol range) outside of Boise, Idaho. I have been a long range competitive target rifle shooter since 1991. I shot at Camp Perry in the National Matches in 1995, didn't do all that well (thanks to a cross fire) but had a great time. I haven't been back to Camp Perry since because there is a rather limited number of long range matches at the National Matches there, not to mention it's a 4400 mile round trip for me (long range being 800, 900, & 1000 yards). I have since; each year instead, attended the Rocky Mountain Palma Matches at the NRA Whittington Center at Raton, New Mexico where they shoot long range for nearly a week (that's only a 2000 mile round trip).

I have shot long range matches in California, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and British Columbia. In 1999 and 2000 I was fortunate enough to be selected as a firing team member on the USA Team to British Columbia shooting against the Canadian and British Rifle Teams. In 1999 I finished as 2nd high team scorer for the USA, and in 2000 as the high team scorer for the USA.

Photography wise I am a gearhead, shooting wise I'm a gun nut. I also enjoy astronomy, riding my Harley on occasion, trying to rebuild my Porsche 914, and doing good work for the great people of the State of Idaho by also working for the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (yep, I work two jobs, have for the last 6 1/2 years).

Sorry for the lengthy dissertation.

Don
Wetzlar M6, M4-P, 0 (Null) Series, IIIa, IIIc, 35 & 50 Summicron-M, 35/1.2 Nokton-M, 35 Elmar times two, 35 Summaron times two, 35 Jupiter 12, 135 Hektor times two, R3, R5, 21 Super Angulon-R, 35 Elmarit-R, 50 Summicron-R, 90 Elmarit-R, 180 Elmar-R, 280 Telyt. Contax G1 & 35/2 Planar.

Old 02-04-2005   #48
pradeep1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I have this little theory that firearms shooters tends to be involved in photography. I have noticed it here in Singapore at the local shooting club.
I think it has to do with working with fine, intricate, and well made machinery that can be appreciated. I've noticed photographers, gun nuts, and car nuts tend to flock together.

Old 02-10-2005   #49
Ilmarin

That's what I used to do...

Old 02-11-2005   #50
Nick R.
Milk and Strawberries

Guns
Cameras
Watches
Stereo stuff
Motorcycles
Musclecars