Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

My two books - "Abstracts" & "I was Here" project
Old 08-25-2013   #1
bk1970

My two books - "Abstracts" & "I was Here" project

I finally got my hands on two books I put together through Blurb. One is an overview of my abstract photography work from the last year, and the other of my project "I was Here" (which has it own thread here). I foremost did the books as the catalogues for the upcoming fairs in September, but I'm surprised as to how nice it is to have them simply as books as well. It's the first time I did something like this and I was pretty nervous, but I think they turned out quite nicely. The black and white one has a matt finish, and the color one lustre.

Here are the links, you can preview them full:
http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4525618-abstracts
http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4527136-i-was-here

Any feedback is most welcome!

Old 08-25-2013   #2
mfogiel

"Abstracts":
As far as I am concerned, and judging from the small images on screen, this is as good or better than any abstract art I have seen changing hands for millions of USD.
However, the "I was here" link does not work for me - I get the "Abstracts" for the second time.

Old 08-25-2013   #3
bk1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
"Abstracts":
As far as I am concerned, and judging from the small images on screen, this is as good or better than any abstract art I have seen changing hands for millions of USD.
Thank you, you're most kind! I'm very nervous before the art fairs next month where I'l present the prints to the art world for the first time. This was quite an investment for me, so I don't think I'll have another chance soon if it's not successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
However, the "I was here" link does not work for me - I get the "Abstracts" for the second time.
Link corrected!

Old 08-25-2013   #4
mfogiel

The " I Was Here" looks more conceptual to me, and although I am sure there have been many cases, where there was not much colour to speak about, I actually feel, the few colour photos work better than the B&W ones. Overall, an interesting Idea, but I would not know if this is completely new or not, and this probably can make a difference. To wrap up my opinion: I think "Abstracts" are visually stronger, while the "I Was Here" set might have a winner in the new approach. Very high quality work altogether.

Old 08-25-2013   #5
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1970 View Post
I finally got my hands on two books I put together through Blurb. One is an overview of my abstract photography work from the last year, and the other of my project "I was Here" (which has it own thread here). I foremost did the books as the catalogues for the upcoming fairs in September, but I'm surprised as to how nice it is to have them simply as books as well. It's the first time I did something like this and I was pretty nervous, but I think they turned out quite nicely. The black and white one has a matt finish, and the color one lustre.

Here are the links, you can preview them full:
http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4525618-abstracts
http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4527136-i-was-here

Any feedback is most welcome!
Very nice work, both of them. I like the photographs you've used in both. I'm always a little uncomfortable with a book title as generic as "Abstracts", however. I'd like something that gives me a little more indication of the book's intent.

G

Old 08-25-2013   #6
paulfish4570

blaz, as much as i love black and white, the color book works best for me. i think paul klee would have approved of your eye for color relationships ...

Old 08-25-2013   #7
brusby

Impressive! And good luck with your promotion.

Old 08-25-2013   #8
bk1970

Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated!

Old 08-25-2013   #9
daveleo
beat up Domke kind of guy

Blaz

I just tapped my "next camera" account and ordered your "Abstracts" in hardcover.

I was all set to go for "I was there" (which I also like enormously), but "Abstracts" is too beautiful, and I can only buy one of them at the moment.

You are a truly gifted artist.

http://www.cafephotos.net

Every "solution" generates two new problems.
Every "answer" generates two new questions.

Old 08-25-2013   #10
tomtofa

Blaz, I've been enjoying your abstracts here, and it's very nice to see a collection of them so well compiled. The 'I was here' project is good too - I think you'll do well at the upcoming fairs. Best of luck!

Tom

Old 08-25-2013   #11
bk1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
Blaz

I just tapped my "next camera" account and ordered your "Abstracts" in hardcover.

I was all set to go for "I was there" (which I also like enormously), but "Abstracts" is too beautiful, and I can only buy one of them at the moment.

You are a truly gifted artist.
Dave, thanks so much, I'm honoured! They're quite expensive, unfortunately, and I didn't even use their premium paper which would put the price even higher. But the one I used works perfectly. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Tom, thanks for the feedback and good wishes!