Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Fuji X Interchangeable Lens Cameras

XE-1 + Voigtlander 15 4.5 and 35 2.5
Old 11-07-2012   #1
tekst

XE-1 + Voigtlander 15 4.5 and 35 2.5

Just took my new this morning XE-1 out for a spin and thought I'd share some shots. Loving the camera so far but definetly a long way to go with it! Rushed these thru iphoto as I downloaded a trial of LightRoom and was overwhelmed by it all.. Anyone got any hints/tips etc regarding x series and m mount lenses and or using lightroom?? Few more at my flickr page linked in my sig if you are interested. Cheers

Tumblr

Old 11-08-2012   #2
Howarthp

Hi - I'm afraid I don't have any advice but am very interested in how you get on with the XE-1 as I'm thinking of buying one too. There are issues with processing RAW (RAF) in LR4.2 and I understand that Fuji and Adobe are working on this. However, the JPEGs are meant to be fabulous straight out of the camera.

Paul

Old 11-08-2012   #3
tekst

Love it so far! Haven't bothered with RAW, these are jpgs pretty much straight out of the camera using the in camera BW setting. Only editing done is bringing the black and white points in to boost contrast. May have gone overboard there.. I don't own any of the fuji lenses yet but am very happy with using m mount lenses. The only thing I've noticed is that focussing at infitite doesnt seem quite right.

Tumblr

Old 11-08-2012   #4
meso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekst View Post
Love it so far! Haven't bothered with RAW, these are jpgs pretty much straight out of the camera using the in camera BW setting. Only editing done is bringing the black and white points in to boost contrast. May have gone overboard there.. I don't own any of the fuji lenses yet but am very happy with using m mount lenses. The only thing I've noticed is that focussing at infitite doesnt seem quite right.
Are you using the Fuji M adapter or a third party one?

Old 11-08-2012   #5
tekst

Using the fuji adapter

Tumblr

Old 11-08-2012   #6
mabelsound
actually a dude

Most mirrorless camera adapters focus a little bit past infinity, so you can't just turn the focus wheel to the end of its travel--you have to actually focus the thing.

Old 11-08-2012   #7
tekst

This might be a stupid question but does that mean that setting the lens to 2m for example will actually be slightly beyond that point in camera? Also, using a wide lens for landscape, where should i be trying to focus in the scene for a large depth of field?

Tumblr

Old 11-10-2012   #8
tekst

A few more from today for anyone that's interested.

Tumblr

Old 11-10-2012   #9
mabelsound
actually a dude

Quote:
This might be a stupid question but does that mean that setting the lens to 2m for example will actually be slightly beyond that point in camera? Also, using a wide lens for landscape, where should i be trying to focus in the scene for a large depth of field?
It won't be as precise as using it on a Leica, no--but it will be close, certainly close enough to scale focus a wide-angle in broad daylight!

Old 11-11-2012   #10
nex100

How do you find the cv 15/4.5 on the xe-1? Is there smearing on the corners? Some have reported smearing with this combo.

Old 11-11-2012   #11
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
It won't be as precise as using it on a Leica, no--but it will be close, certainly close enough to scale focus a wide-angle in broad daylight!
A lot depends on how far off the inf mark... If the current dof info on the rf lens will be even close...

Most third party manufacturers will make up for their manufacturing tolerances by making sure that u can focus at inf by being a little ahead of the mark. There are very few vendors that will go thru the work of guaranting true inf. and they cost a lot. I have used a lot of the cheaper (39-59 dollar) vendors in the past.. Somewhere over 50% of the time inf was off. I was lucky enough that in all cases it was easy to use brass shim to fix the inf point issue.

U are right, the wider the lens, like the 15, the more it becomes a moot point, unless the inf focus point is way off.

Gary

Sigh, yeh, I see smearing, but that's ok
Old 11-11-2012   #12
eleskin

Sigh, yeh, I see smearing, but that's ok

Indeed, I too see smearing with the Voigtlander 15mm. I have this lens too and love it on my M8. I do not have an X series yet, but I may consider one now after looking at the new M at Photo Expo Plus. I would stick to the Fuji lenses if going wider than 35mm. For me I would pick the 35 1.4 Fujinon and the 18mm to 55mm zoom. After that, the M adapter for my 35 1.2 Nokton , 50 mm Noctilux, Summicron, and Summitar.
I have a few Minolta MD lenses as well so an adapter for that too would meek me happy!

Old 11-11-2012   #13
dejavu

Lovely photos, very Melbourne!

I am also very interested in M-mount lenses on the X system so will love to hear your user experiences. I am getting the 14 f/2.8 XF and will let you know how that lens performs. Now, Fuji just need to hurry up and send it to distributors. It is delayed, again, to end of November.

Louis Tsai
Zen Galleria

Old 11-11-2012   #14
tekst

nex100 - Really enjoying the cv15, there is some smearing in the corners for sure. Does it bother me? Not in the slightest. Aside from the infinite focus issue as mentioned above, (which is really not a big deal) and the slight smearing on the 15, I really enjoy using M lenses on the XE-1.

Dejavu - As I mentioned in another thread, focussing with m lenses can be a little fiddly, and at first, doesnt instill confidence like a rangefinder does. But once you become confident with it, it is quick and easy. Overall I am very happy with the X system with M mount lenses. From what I've seen I'll be even more happy when I finally pick up a Fuji lense or two. But even with Voigtlanders, I'm liking the results I'm getting, as well as just using the camera in general. I would be very interested to see how the 14 turns out for you. Cheers for the kind words also.

Tumblr

Old 11-16-2012   #15
tekst

Couple more from the past few days if anyone cares. I just got done reading Back Alleys thread on seeing, and after looking over my flickr I realised that I'm very much stuck in my style of shooting, which is for the most part, square on and aiming for symetry. Need to mix it up a bit somehow. Hmmmm.

Anyway, played with a Fuji 18 in a shop today, damn it's sharp, but the camera felt so light without an M lens on the front. It reminded me of the new iphone 5, so light it feels cheap somehow. Anyone else feel that way? Is the 35 much heavier??

Tumblr

Old 11-16-2012   #16
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

some nice shots...i feel bad for the bike.

i have the 18 and agree that it's sharp...does not feel cheap to me though...we have to edit out these thoughts that heavy equals quality...

x-e1/23/56/16-50

http://crated.com/backalleyimages

Old 11-16-2012   #17
tekst

Yes your right, but their's just something about that heft of a camera setup that feels right. Funny thing is though, I just sold a hasselblad and m4p as they weren't getting use for that reason. Well, not so much the weight of the leica, but the hasselblad and old 50mm were just too much bulk to lug around without a bag, and I'm not a fan of shooting out of a big bag.

Tumblr

Old 11-23-2012   #18
tekst

Some more shots from today, had some nice light and stumbled upon a building I'd only previously seen on these forums. Couldn't help but have some fun with the new camera. Absolutely loving the little beast! Tried to use the 35 a bit more today but not sold on the equivalent 50mm focal length. First time processing with light room so any CC more than welcome! Might have got a bit carried away with the clarity slider on some, it's addictive, just like this camera!

Tumblr

Old 11-25-2012   #19
rjx

Nice images

Old 11-25-2012   #20
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

That last set of pictures is AMAZING!! I love that minimalistic approach. Wonderful! Would love to see those printed

Old 11-25-2012   #21
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Yes your right, but their's just something about that heft of a camera setup that feels right. ....
Nothing wrong with using gaffers tape to hold some extra lead weights onto the bottom of the camera.

Ricoh GR; Nikon 1 V3; D600; Speed Graphic; Polaroid 250

Old 11-25-2012   #22
Joosep

That church picture, thats nice !

Old 11-25-2012   #23
tekst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
That last set of pictures is AMAZING!! I love that minimalistic approach. Wonderful! Would love to see those printed
Thanks for the kinds words Santtu and others. Though shooting at that spot it's hard not to get good results! I too would love to get some of these printed large and see how they turn out, funds just don't permit at the moment unfortunately.

Tumblr

Old 11-30-2012   #24
tekst

Couple of photos from yesterday at the soccer, or football as some of you may know it. I've always wanted to get photos of the stadium with a decent camera so decided to take the fuji along as I cheered on my beloved team Melbourne Victory. Was not a great afternoon for taking photos, very overcast and by this stage I'd downed a number of pre-game beverages. Anyhow just thought I'd share some more photos, for the record, we won 1-0!

Tumblr

Old 12-01-2012   #25
tekst

Tumblr