Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

View Poll Results: Are you going OM-D?
O yeah, here's my pre-order confirmation! 36 10.43%
You bet! just have to de-GAS a few gears to fund it 23 6.67%
Positively, but only when it hits street price level 65 18.84%
I don't know, I like it, but won't my APS-C buddies shun me? 50 14.49%
Heck no! I won't be caught dead with a dinky m4/3rd camera 110 31.88%
OMD? Are they coming out with a new album? 61 17.68%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2012   #361
rover

I am getting anxious, and it appears B&H will be delivering my OMD while I am away on vacation.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 03-23-2012   #362
Paul Luscher

Shadowfax, sorry I didn't get back sooner.

I might have felt the same way about a smaller sensor had I not been shooting an E-3 for the last few years. I was initially hesitant about buying the E-3 because its sensor was half the size of a 35mm frame, but then I realized that this was false logic--that there was no reason that a digital senor HAD to be "full frame" in order to produce a quality image. It was applying analog concepts to a digital medium, so to speak.

And I admit that I have not been disappointed by the images out of my E-3. So yeah, I'm looking forward to what the EM-5 has to offer--more firepower in a smaller, lighter, Leica-size body. My shoulders will be happy.....

Old 03-23-2012   #363
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

New updated review linked via the rumor site, it's pretty interesting.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revie...arling-updated

Olympus fanboys kind of review (OM-D = "Oh My Darling"... please )?
Or not? you decide.

Old 03-23-2012   #364
seakayaker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Luscher View Post
Just to drop back into this again and be annoying:

I think what I find interesting is that most people voting in the poll won't get the EM-5 because they "don't want to be caught dead with a dinky 4/3 camera."

Frankly, if that's the case, I find it silly. After all, wasn't the Leica the "dinky camera" of it's time when it first came out--and especially considering it was using 35mm film--essentially the 4/3 sensor of its time? And wasn't the concept of the Leica to be a small, light ""carry anywhere" camera? Isn't that one of the virtues Leicaphiles celebrate?

Same with the original OMs-- they were "dinky" cameras compared to the ones put out by the Heavies of their time--Nikon and Canon. Yet the OMs are now considered classics of camera design.

Perhaps if the person who set up the poll just allowed a person to say "NO" that would have been the response instead of the opinions of the person who set up the poll.

A simple 'Yes', 'No', 'Maybe' or 'Undecided' may have allowed a person to choose the response they wanted to give in the poll without the additional opinion of the originator of the poll being included.

I believe you may have jumped to a conclusion based on the only available responses for an individual who may simply wanted to respond with a simple 'NO.'

"No" would have been my response but did not agree with the full response since I already own a Micro Four Thirds camera, just not interested in the OM-D at all.

Old 03-27-2012   #365
gilpen123
Gil

IMO, the basic difference between an amateur and professional photographer is the latter get paid. The tool does not define that. There are actually many amateur that are way better than some professional some even using a P&S can get excellent results. It's the eye for composition and the patience to wait for the right moment that makes one a better photogrspher amateur or pro.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 03-27-2012   #366
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
... Trouble is as the price of larger sensors goes down, 4/3 is going to become obsolete anyway...
I keep seeing this argument being posed, and have trouble believing the price of any size-specific sensor will come down significantly over time.

To be overly simplistic about it, but Moore's Law doesn't apply to silicon chips whose physical size is specified by some parameter like camera sensor format size. Moore's Law (more of an observation than an actual physical law) works by shrinking transistor size, making integrated circuits smaller over time, which has two effects: 1) Makes the circuit run faster because transistors are closer together, and 2) Reduces the cost per chip because more chips can be fit onto the same sized silicon wafer.

The economics of semiconductor manufacturing is based on the fixed cost of processing X thousands of wafers per week through a Fab - it costs the same to run those wafers, regardless of what circuits are printed on them. So, if you can shrink your transistor technology to make more circuits printed on each wafer, and sell them at higher prices because, being smaller, they run faster, then you have a high profit business model.

But camera sensors that are fixed in physical size can't scale to Moore's Law, the only ways of increasing profit are: 1) Depreciation of the factory equipment over time; 2) Increased efficiency in manufacturing (i.e. reducing waste); 3) Increase pixel count of each chip, thereby selling them at a higher profit as an "upscale" product. This third method is what has driven the pixel wars in photography. The first two methods are insignificant compared to the high profits earned by scaling microprocessors to Moore's Law.

Point and shoot sensors aren't fixed to specific format sizes, so these do scale to Moore's Law and can be shrunk in size over time to yield higher profit margins in the manufacturing process.

The main cost reduction to camera manufacturing going forward will not be from the cost of the sensor (because, as I've explained, the cost of fixed size sensors is also relatively fixed) but from reduced costs in the rest of the camera and lens system. Hence mirrorless cameras, which have less mechanical parts and are therefore easier to manufacture using robotics.

-Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 03-27-2012   #367
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post
Perhaps if the person who set up the poll just allowed a person to say "NO" that would have been the response instead of the opinions of the person who set up the poll.

A simple 'Yes', 'No', 'Maybe' or 'Undecided' may have allowed a person to choose the response they wanted to give in the poll without the additional opinion of the originator of the poll being included.

I believe you may have jumped to a conclusion based on the only available responses for an individual who may simply wanted to respond with a simple 'NO.'

"No" would have been my response but did not agree with the full response since I already own a Micro Four Thirds camera, just not interested in the OM-D at all.
Dan, sorry to disappoint you.
But in case you haven't noticed, this poll is far from being a serious one.

I came up with the options precisely because I knew how polarized people's opinions on this camera are. And in a way, I'm giving those with ... uh, "extreme views" an anonymous way to vent. And according to the poll, they did take advantage of it.

I am half-surprised myself. Let me put another way. I have no love for Sony Nex cameras, but if there were a poll option that said: "I won't be caught dead with a dinky Nex camera", I would *not* have chosen it; because I simply can't feel that strongly towards a mere tool.

Old 03-28-2012   #368
seakayaker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Dan, sorry to disappoint you.
But in case you haven't noticed, this poll is far from being a serious one.

I came up with the options precisely because I knew how polarized people's opinions on this camera are. And in a way, I'm giving those with ... uh, "extreme views" an anonymous way to vent. And according to the poll, they did take advantage of it.

I am half-surprised myself. Let me put another way. I have no love for Sony Nex cameras, but if there were a poll option that said: "I won't be caught dead with a dinky Nex camera", I would *not* have chosen it; because I simply can't feel that strongly towards a mere tool.

No worries Will!

. . . . . you did not disappoint me.

Old 03-29-2012   #369
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post
No worries Will!

. . . . . you did not disappoint me.
Ah, double meaning!
I see what you did there.

Old 03-30-2012   #370
rover

They are starting to show up in the stores in Japan.

rover's world at flickr

Old 03-30-2012   #371
Shade

Sorry I chose the xpro1 because I dont want my buddies to shun me lol.. But in all seriousness, I was considering it but I have been a Fuji person since s2pro s3pro and s5pro. The xpro was a no brainer for me..

Old 03-30-2012   #372
rbelyell

i dont think you can go wrong with either. no magic bullet-cam. but boy this olly comes close: weatherproof with WP 24-100 zoom ( a first), live bulb feature (afirst), in-VF IS effect (a first), 5axis IBIS (a first), and it looks like totally useable files up to 6400! i personally dont care about anything over 3200, and i cant believe i'm even saying that--i certainly wouldnt have even thought about 3200 3 years ago! like bart scott said 'CAN'T WAIT'!

Old 03-31-2012   #373
plummerl

With people receiving their E-M5s, the wait is now unbearable! Especially when I see shots like this:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=41079087

Old 03-31-2012   #374
rbelyell

larry i'm going om-d, but i am always curious at the philosophy of putting huge slr lenses on mirrorless cams. it always seemed to me CEVIL cams have 2 'advantages': theyre small, unobtrusive & thus nonthreatening, and you can mount most any lens ever made to very nice effect. but the negatives are crop factors of 1.5 to 2x. imo, when i wanted to mount huge lenses, i had a FF 5d. i left that cam/lens combo--and with it the advantages of shooting great lenses FF--for a compact CEVIL rig, then to be coupled with similarly compact lenses, in my case RF and kodak retina dkl. i am always confused about why one would choose CEVIL and then destroy its primary advantage? if one loves BIG lenses, why not pair them with a BIG FF cam?

Old 03-31-2012   #375
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
larry i'm going om-d, but i am always curious at the philosophy of putting huge slr lenses on mirrorless cams. it always seemed to me CEVIL cams have 2 'advantages': theyre small, unobtrusive & thus nonthreatening, and you can mount most any lens ever made to very nice effect. but the negatives are crop factors of 1.5 to 2x. imo, when i wanted to mount huge lenses, i had a FF 5d. i left that cam/lens combo--and with it the advantages of shooting great lenses FF--for a compact CEVIL rig, then to be coupled with similarly compact lenses, in my case RF and kodak retina dkl. i am always confused about why one would choose CEVIL and then destroy its primary advantage? if one loves BIG lenses, why not pair them with a BIG FF cam?
Everything you've said is true. For me, one big advantage is that I already have a very extensive collection of OM Zuiko lenses. I have used them with my E-510 which like the E-M5, has in-body IS (and both of these cameras have IS settings for the OM lenses). Putting my 300/f4.5 on, I am able to use it hand held with great results. I will definitely be getting M43 lenses, but at the same time I can use it with my Leica and even my Contax G's. I'm not buying the E-M5 for my other lenses, but at the same time will be taking advantage of what I currently have.

Old 03-31-2012   #376
Zonan

And if you're a bird/wildlife photographer, the crop factor/magnification gives you advantages beyond what you've been able to achieve previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post

Old 04-05-2012   #377
pixelatedscraps

I really wanted one of these up until I got to test one out in Tin Cheung Cameras last week. They only had black ones in stock but here are my thoughts (and saying "hell no, no dinky 4/3 camera for me" wasn't really what I was thinking):

PROS:
-small and very light, portable enough to sling over your shoulder and forget about
-very fast AF (but still not sure it's up to my (rather) fading memories of my D700 + 70-200 VRII)
-EVF is surprisingly bright and easy to focus in low light
-12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 lens is pretty impressive during video. Not much of a video man myself but the new focus mechanism is quite intuitive - just don't forget to turn it back to Normal for stills photography!
-16Mp? Fairly clean ISO 3200 and quite impressive 1600 in a tiny body? Yes!

CONS:
-construction and design look and feel a little cheap. Yes, it may be weatherproof but it certainly doesn't look or feel like it could stand much abuse. I personally think it is a little tacky in the hand and quite far off the comparisons to the beautiful simplicity of the OM-1.
-controls are fiddly, particularly the playback button.
-the rear feels cramped - I don't have sausage fingers but even with my fingers I found myself getting frustrated. One for small hands and fingers for sure.
-new 12-50mm kit lens is disappointingly slow at f/6.3 at the long end.
-EVF is still...an EVF. Refresh rate is still not where I'm happy enough to buy or recommend it.
-the m4/3 AF lens lineup still has a lot of gaps in it. Once Olympus and Panasonic start releasing fast f/2 or f/2.8 12-35mm and 35-100mm lenses the system will be much more attractive.

With some music and photojournalist gigs coming up in the next few months, I'm on the lookout for a complete digital system (again).

Now onto the D7000, followed by the X-Pro 1 and if all else fails...a D800.

PLAY
Leica M4 | 35mm f2.8 Summaron
Plaubel Makina W67
Kodak Retina IIc | 50mm f2 Xenon
Olympus XA4

WORK
Nikon D800E | Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 | 60mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor | 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor | Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VRII

Canon 5D MKII | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L I | 100mm f/2.8 L Macro | 70-200m f/4 IS L

www.jrmaloney.com

Old 04-05-2012   #378
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelatedscraps View Post
Now onto the D7000, followed by the X-Pro 1 and if all else fails...a D800.
...interesting report, please keep us informed about the differences you'll notice between the OM-D and these other cameras thanks
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 04-05-2012   #379
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Yes, interesting. The size has been a concern for me, and I have the growing feeling that it might be a deal-killer.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55 and adapted Zuikos
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 04-05-2012   #380
BTMarcais

I think whether the size is an issue or not depends on what you're used to. I've had an EP3 since they first came out, and got to play with a (pre-production) EM5 a month or so back. Control layout felt fine to me, but I've been using the PEN for a while, so I'm more or less used to the setup and size. The little thumb rest on the back definitely makes it easy to grip. I think I'd be more worried about it getting to BIG if I put the grip on. I'm just not used to shooting SLR's anymore.

But size is going to be a personal preference- some people will like it, some won't.

And none of us will know till we try...

And by all means- no matter how good the camera is, if you're not comfortable with it,
buy something else- people get too caught up in the newest latest greatest thing now, and forget how rewarding it is to shoot with something that just FITS, that you can forget you have in your hand and just use it as an extension of yourself. If the camera is too big for you, or too small, or weighted wrong, or smells funny or whatever, you won't be comfortable, you won't want to take it out, and you won't want to shoot.

-Brian

Old 04-05-2012   #381
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Yes, interesting. The size has been a concern for me, and I have the growing feeling that it might be a deal-killer.
The E-M5 is roughly the size of the OM-1. In the digital SLR(like) world, your choice is this or something more along the lines of your usual DSLR. I'll take the E-M5 in a heartbeat. I already have an E-510, and I know the E-M5 is going to much appreciated by myself. The waiting is becoming intolerable.

I've already weighed in on the size question.
Old 04-05-2012   #382
kuzano

I've already weighed in on the size question.

For anyone who used the OM camera's in the 70's, the EM-5 will be like picking up an old friend. I was an early adopter of the OM-1, and currently have two OM-1's and three OM-2 variants. I also use them with the grip winder.

I've checked the size specs and looked at the grip/body configuration.

I fully expect this new Olympus to be near identiical to picking up one of my OM's. The bonus is that I get to use my OM glass, as I have on my Oly DSLR 4/3 camera's.

Not looking for shirt pocket transport.

Old 04-06-2012   #383
gilpen123
Gil

OM-D is not really that small, the grip may help if you have big hands. I probably will get one when I get to grips with the camera. Nice to have it for vertical shots.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 04-06-2012   #384
rover

I really want my E-M5, like today. But, since I have to wait let's take a tounge in cheek look at the Pros and Cons of the cameras as identified at 42rumors.com from recent reviews.

Pros:
1. The battery grip is a exellent add-on. Featuring complete sets of function buttons, scroll wheels. But still keeps the size rather comapct (Way too big and expensive. $300, really?)
2. Weathersealed. Magnesium alloy body (And no attractive weathersealed lenses)
3. Customizable real-time curve (sounds cool)
4. Lots of customizable buttons, both scroll wheel are customizable. (as long as things don't get too confusing, this is a camera, not a Home Entertainment System. I don't want to think I need a remote control to work the thing.)
5. The revolutionary 5-axis IS (sounds cool)
6. 17 art filters (Meh)
7. Tilt screen (sounds cool)
8. E-M5 plus 12-50 (Macro, motor zoom, weathersealed) are perfect match (for shooting on clear sunny days because it is way to slow to use on rainy grey ones)

Cons:
1. The camera suffers of minor lags, starting up, button, scroll wheels are not as reponsive as Panasonic cameras. Especially the exposure compensation. (Hmmm, will have to check this out)
2. When recording, E-M5 does not support touch-toggle-focus. (Meh)
3. Lowest ISO-value is 200. (Oly has overstated the ISO sensitivity, so 200 is the new 125 apparently)
4. The flash is external. (Meh)

rover's world at flickr

Old 04-06-2012   #385
DNG
Film Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
It is taller than an OM4, and 11mm shorter, and few mm's thinner, but with a nice thumb grip on the back and finger grip in the front.... So Very similar in size to the OM line.....

I Pre-Ordered a Black one This month from B&H, The 12th is the expected date that they get their 1st shipment.

Old 04-07-2012   #386
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

This is the camera I've been waiting for ever since aging eyes forced me to give up my beloved OM system 20 years ago and switch to the Canon EOS system in order to get autofocus.

My new book: Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt
Architecture/Commercial: www.davidbjenkins.com
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies): Rock City Barns: A Passing Era

Old 04-08-2012   #387
pixelatedscraps

I am a big, longtime OM shooter and now collector of an M system (I guess), and so the EM-5 was the holy grail I'd been waiting many years for. I had an Olympus E-1 and then later an E-620 but there were many weaknesses of each camera which never quite got resolved in the Four Thirds system or (so far) in the new PEN system (I use the EP-3 for product photography.

The size and shape is very much like an OM camera, indeed I had my M-1 with 100/2.8 M.Zuiko with me that day when I tested out the EM-5, and they are very similar in size. However, I very strongly feel the build quality is not on the same par. Of course the addition of a movable LCD and numerous rubber and plastic buttons makes it impossible to compare to the simplicity and ruggedness of an OM body, but there are other notable design traits to the EM-5 which make it appear and feel slightly flimsy.

It is much more angular than the PEN or OM cameras. Under close scrutiny I could only think of the differences in design lines between a WW2 cruiser (the OM) and the new stealth missile destroyers of the UK / USA (EM-5). Both unique and elegant in their own ways, but I couldn't help but think of the words "tacky" and then later, "flimsy", as I kept turning the EM-5 over in my hands under strong light. Design-wise, it's not for me - particularly as the lens line-up isn't compelling enough to balance things out. At the end of the day, I want f/2.8 normal and telephoto zoom lenses if I'm going to be shooting digital - as well as excellent primes (as Olympus is slowly building up).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I feel like Olympus has a few design kinks to work out with the EM-5, sort of like how the EP-1, groundbreaking as it was at the time, also suffered from several faults (though mainly hardware rather than design).

They come very close to the perfect small interchangeable lens camera with the EM-5 (I have to disregard the PEN cameras and most other CSC cameras here: I simply am not a compose-on-LCD kind of shooter) but in the meantime, I need to look elsewhere as it doesn't quite do what I want a camera to do.

PLAY
Leica M4 | 35mm f2.8 Summaron
Plaubel Makina W67
Kodak Retina IIc | 50mm f2 Xenon
Olympus XA4

WORK
Nikon D800E | Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 | 60mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor | 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor | Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VRII

Canon 5D MKII | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L I | 100mm f/2.8 L Macro | 70-200m f/4 IS L

www.jrmaloney.com

Old 04-12-2012   #388
rover

Mine isn't here yet.

rover's world at flickr

Old 04-12-2012   #389
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Mine is.
Oh you!!!

Still got a pre-order in with Amazon for a black body, but no sign of it yet. I'm hearing that the kits are coming in first?

Old 04-12-2012   #390
DNG
Film Friendly

Still waiting, BUT, B&H will reopen April 15....Believing for an email soon after with a Tracking #....

I have assume that a limited staff is there to accept Deliveries, and maybe get the "Pre-Orders" separated out for shipping on the 15th....

Old 04-12-2012   #391
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Still waiting to hear from Amazon on my black body only preorder. 43rumors saying USA shipments are happening so I'm assuming (hoping) I'll get mine sometime next week. I didn't go for lens combos, and I completely got out of m43 sometime ago so I need to start over. I hope Leica/Panny 25/1.4 comes back in stock soon...

b/w japanese ****.

flickr | RFF Gallery | @SuguruN | Sug on G+ | Portfolio (beta)

Old 04-12-2012   #392
plummerl

I just received an email from Olympus USA and believe that I'm coming down with the 24hr flu! I may not be able to go to work tomorrow!

My EM-5 will be here before 1030, tomorrow morning. I pre-ordered the black body, with 12-50mm lens, about 30 minutes after the camera was announced on Feb. 7. Interestingly, the camera is being shipped to Seattle from New York (Fed-Ex). I have Leica M and Oly OM adapters waiting, the HDL-6 grip will be arriving by this weekend.

... and amazingly, the weather forecast for Seattle this weekend is great!

Old 04-12-2012   #393
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth
Still waiting to hear from Amazon on my black body only preorder. 43rumors saying USA shipments are happening so I'm assuming (hoping) I'll get mine sometime next week. I didn't go for lens combos, and I completely got out of m43 sometime ago so I need to start over. I hope Leica/Panny 25/1.4 comes back in stock soon...
Look forward to hearing your thoughts compared to the XP1. Cancelled my OM-D order to get the Fuji. Still questioning the wisdom of that...

Old 04-12-2012   #394
cosmonaut

Yes I did. I pre ordered last week. I got the 12-50mm kit. What drew me to buy one was sample shots at dpreview and weather sealing. It's everything m4/3rd shooters have been asking for for a long time. I just hope the dynamic range has improved for past Olys.

Old 04-12-2012   #395
plummerl

Quote:
Not sure about other dealers, but no bodies received yet, just kits and grips...not even any flashes to get the rebate (but will do some fancy paperwork later.)

This is unfortunate. But the delivery may help you feel better.
Hopefully, this isn't a sign that my (attempted) humor is to dry! I believe that the virus is most likely a strain of OLY_EM-5_ARRIVING!

Old 04-12-2012   #396
celluloidprop

Still want to try one of these (though it wouldn't make a lot of sense in addition to the XPro-1), but it seems like Panasonic is in no rush to get more 25/1.4 lenses to dealers.

Old 04-12-2012   #397
FrozenInTime

Listening to rain torrents pouring down for the last few days here in Northern California, I hope Olympus get around to making a weather sealed 17 or 25mm f/2 prime for the E-M5.

Though I suspect by the time the body eventually gets here, the rain will be long forgotten and I will reaching for the sun glasses and ND filters to put on the 25mm DG Summilux.

I hear the 25mm is free of the rattlesnake issues on the E-M5 :-)
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 04-13-2012   #398
rbelyell

i'm still waiting for mine in ny, though my dealer said i should have my chrome kit early next week.

separately, i'm somewhat curious about why everyone seems so in love with the panny 25/1.4 that no one can get, when the imo excellent panny(leica) 20/1.7 is easily obtained. is it just a FL preference, a half stop faster preference, or do folks think the IQ is really so much better?
tony

Old 04-13-2012   #399
jarski

Quote:
shall we see unboxing video ?

Old 04-13-2012   #400
rbelyell

for those of us excited about this cam, more to be excited about!

http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...c=rss&attr=all