Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 08-24-2012   #201
kyonthinh

Seem good Nokton, but for something like 85mm it's very easy to fix sticky aperture...
Now I need one FB cable and IR 1 set to complete my X700 set, then I can rest in peace.

Old 08-25-2012   #202
Nokton48

Here is my favorite SRT-101, with the Minolta +2 Eyepiece Corrector "clipped" into the back(It's the rectangular ocular surrounded by the rubber eyecup). Went out with this rig today, with the 200mm F3.5 MC Rokkor, and am liking how it all works out. Works great with my eyeglasses, there is no viewfinder cutoff and focusing is super-sharp. BTW I think these eyepieces fit almost all Minolta SLR and Digital cameras.

Just found another +2 Corrector on Amazon, but if anybody here knows where I can find some more, please let me know. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (35.3 KB, 5 views)

Old 09-01-2012   #203
Nokton48

In addition to collecting SRT-era bodies and lenses/accessories, I am also interested in collecting literature that relates to Minolta SRT.

Here is an article by Lief Ericksenn, on the Minolta 400mm F5.6 Apo-Tele Rokkor-X, with matching 2x Apo-Teleconverter (which I just bought recently). Lief really likes the lens, surprisingly it cost over $1500 back in 1977. I also learned something new about this lens; the flourite elements expand and contract at different temperatures, which explains why the lens has the ability to focus slightly-beyond infinity. This article is from the April 1977 edition of CAMERA35 magazine:

My 2x Apo-Converter is now at Greg Stelz's spa, he is replacing the springs in the front mount, to tighten the whole thing up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400APO2.jpg (69.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 400APO1.jpg (67.1 KB, 15 views)

Old 09-06-2012   #204
Tom33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
This statement by mynikonf2 sums up one of the main reasons why I am enjoying my Minolta system so much.

Here is yesterday's email from John Titterton: http://www.geocities.com/~titterington/camera-repair/

Dan,

I have looked at the lenses and this is what I have found:

28mm F2.5 Minolta MC W Rokkor-SI (has sticky blades) $35

35mm F1.8 Minolta MC W Rokkor-HH (has sticky blades) $40

35mm F2.8 MC W Rokkor-X HG (has sticky blades) $30

(2) 50mm F1.4 MC Rokkor-PF (both need CLA) $30 each

85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor-PF (has sticky blades) $40

100mm F2.5 MC Tele-Rokkor-PF (needs CLA) $30

Return postage via Priority insured mail $22

Please let me know what you think.

John

Makes sense to me to fix everything that needs work in one big shipment. Prices are great IMO and worth every penny.
Did your lenses come back from Mr. Titterington yet? How are they?

Best,

Tom

Old 09-06-2012   #205
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom33 View Post
Did your lenses come back from Mr. Titterington yet? How are they?

Best,

Tom
Hi Tom,
There was a delay, I responded to John's email, but he didn't get it. But I'm not in a hurry, so all is well. He is working on them right now.

Greg Stelz is finishing up two more SRT101 bodies for me, as well as a 58mm F1.2 MC and my Apochromatic 2X Teleconverter. And Essex is just finishing up my XK and two Auto Exposure Prisms.

Repairs can sometimes take a bit. Will report back when all is received.

Old 09-09-2012   #206
kyonthinh

Nokton, can I ask you about one thing?
I have Myopia -1,75. Should I buy eyepiece No 3,4 or No 7?

Old 09-09-2012   #207
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonthinh View Post
Nokton, can I ask you about one thing?
I have Myopia -1,75. Should I buy eyepiece No 3,4 or No 7?
I am honestly not sure, you might want to ask your optician, or whomever supplies your eyeglasses? Minolta, in the original instructions, says to try two, one at recommended strength, then add another enough to go up to the next strength. In other words, I tried a +2, then used the +1 to look through both at the same time, making the equivilent of a +3. These test should be done with the lens focused at infinity. In my case, I settled on the +2. Hope that helps.

No 6 is -1, No 7 is -2, and No 8 is -3.

Old 09-09-2012   #208
Nokton48

Kyonthinh,

Scroll down about halfway in this link. Minolta used to make the "Diopter Checker" to try different focusing screen and Diopter eyepieces right in the camera store.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/XK-3.html

Old 09-10-2012   #209
Nokton48

Quote:
Did your lenses come back from Mr. Titterington yet? How are they? Best, Tom
Hey Tom,
The lenses are back from Mr. Titterton. I just looked them all over, helicals are smooth, diaphrams are very snappy, no oil on blades, all looking good through the camera, and they look as clean as they can possibly be. He had them ready in 24 hours after telling me he was starting on them, and even ran them to the post office that same evening, after emailing me that they were done. I am totally delighted and he will be getting more business in the future from me. Here are the lenses, everything back together, and now ready to use:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (79.8 KB, 23 views)

Nice!
Old 09-10-2012   #210
Tom33

Nice!

The lens collection looks great. The X700 I bought from him is like new, and I am convinced he is a great resource. I am boxing up some lenses and bodies to send to John this week. I have an X-500, SRT-202, XE-7 and XD-11 that need CLAs, as well as a MD Rokkor 50/f1.2 and an AF 50/1.7 that needs CLA.

It is a black XD-11, and it will be getting a brown Crocodile recover (Aki-Asahi sourced) while it is in the shop. I hope to get it all in the mail tomorrow.

You have mentioned another Minolta camera repair source you use. How is that working out? Can you share particulars?

Best,

Tom

Old 09-10-2012   #211
Nokton48

I met Greg Stelz on Flikr, he posts on the Minolta Forums, under the handle MOUNTAIN DAWG. I just talk to him through Flikr. He's in Durango Colorado, and he did an A1++ job on the first SRT101 body I sent him. Now he has two more of mine, but I think they are on their way back to me, at this point. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gstelz/...2/in/contacts/

Essex Camera Repair is fixing my XK and two Auto Prisms, I was not able to find another source for repairing it. They are a big busy shop, and they used to do all of my Canon RF lenses and bodies. They can fix about anything. The XK should be ready to ship about now, too. I called last week and they said it was "almost done". http://www.essexcamera.com/

All Repairs Are Now Back.
Old 09-14-2012   #212
Nokton48

All Repairs Are Now Back.

Now I have three freshly overhauled SRT101's (by Greg Stelz), and all meters agree on high and low light levels! Nothing like having good reliable equipment. And my XK and Prism are back from Essex (the meter was way off) but now, it agrees with the other three SRT cameras, at least on high light levels. More testing will be required to determine the quirks.

Quite alot of photo firepower for not too much money
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (68.7 KB, 30 views)

Old 09-14-2012   #213
Tom33

Really nice collection of cameras in the photo. Do you find the soft releases provide a large improvement in the shutter control on the Minolta SRT and XK bodies? I was considering purchasing one for my SRT 202. What make do you use?

Best,

Tom

Old 09-15-2012   #214
Nokton48

Quote:
Really nice collection of cameras in the photo. Do you find the soft releases provide a large improvement in the shutter control on the Minolta SRT and XK bodies? I was considering purchasing one for my SRT 202. What make do you use?

Best,

Tom
Tom,
I like the way the SRT handles with the Abrahamsson Softie, TomA posts here at RFF quite a bit. I used to use these these with my Leicas, and yes, they improve the handling and steadiness IMO. The black nylon hairtie is my own invention, it prevents misfires and wasted frames.

http://www.rapidwinder.com/ to order. Get the Classic one, not the Mini.

Old 09-20-2012   #215
kyonthinh

Hmm strange, I bought a diopter number 4, but it seem i bought a wrong thing. I cant see clearly. But more strange is, when I look without glass normally, it is not as clear as when I look in the viewfinder without glass. I think the camera is already -1 or +1. I'm not sure.

Old 09-20-2012   #216
Nokton48

Does the diopter have "4" stamped on it, and not some other number? Reason I asked, is that I bought some, with boxes properly marked, that had the wrong diopters inside Seems people -do- mix them up.

If you would like to sell your #4, I would be very happy to buy it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Old 09-20-2012   #217
kyonthinh

Ok I know why, maybe it's real +2, but as I research, +2 is for far sighted, and I must use -1 because I have near sighted. Do you have far sighted Nokton?

Old 09-20-2012   #218
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I just won a Minolta XK for $53 on eBay. According to the seller he cannot determine if the meter is working since the readout is not visible in the window.

The most likely cause of this is the small mirror behind the light window in the upper right top of the meter housing..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-XK-B...vip=true&rt=nc

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-21-2012   #219
Nokton48

Quote:
Ok I know why, maybe it's real +2, but as I research, +2 is for far sighted, and I must use -1 because I have near sighted. Do you have far sighted Nokton?
Yes I am basically near sighted, because I cannot see well at distances, without thick eyeglasses. But, as I eyes are getting older, I now have "bifocal" lenses, for closeup viewing, such as reading, seeing computer screen viewing, etc. So as I age I will need stronger and stronger "reading" eyeglass corrections. On the plus side, with my new eyeglasses, I have excellent 20/20 vision at all distances.

Old 09-21-2012   #220
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I just won a Minolta XK for $53 on eBay. According to the seller he cannot determine if the meter is working since the readout is not visible in the window.

The most likely cause of this is the small mirror behind the light window in the upper right top of the meter housing..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-XK-B...vip=true&rt=nc

Wow. Great price on that XK. I paid $159 recently to KEH for my new XK.

Here's a Minolta SR Combo you won't see often.
Old 09-21-2012   #221
Nokton48

Here's a Minolta SR Combo you won't see often.

My motorized SR-M, with my new 21mm F4 Rokkor QH and SRT 21mm Minolta viewfinder. According to Minolta sales literature, this camera will easily do 180 exposures-per-minute. Since the mirror is locked up, I really think it is a wee-bit faster than that.

Shooting some Eastman XX 5222 through this rig, in the next couple of days. Balances real nicely, one-handed shooting 3.5fps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (56.3 KB, 33 views)

Old 09-23-2012   #222
kyonthinh

My GAS is going worse, so I will buy a XM.
Well, hope it is worthy.

Old 09-23-2012   #223
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Mine will be here tomorrow. I've got a 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor-X MC waiting to be mated with it..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-24-2012   #224
kyonthinh

Grats, please tell us your impression when you receive it.

Cameraleather Griptac on the SRT's.
Old 09-24-2012   #225
Nokton48

Cameraleather Griptac on the SRT's.

Package arrived today from Cameraleather, shipping only four days from time of order. Two "Black Griptac" sets, for my SRT101 in black, and SRT202, in chrome.

The Griptac is great on the SRT. I also used to have this covering on my Leica M's, when I had them. Easy to put on, too. Didn't take long at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (69.7 KB, 35 views)

Old 09-24-2012   #226
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

The XK arrived today and is working good.

I posted more on it here http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=124094

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-24-2012   #227
Tom33

Hi Nokton48,

Did the original SRT leatherette have issues? The covering on my late chrome SRT202 still looks like new... I have bought new leather for three of my XD-11 bodies from Aki-Asahi. I am having John Titterington put it on when he does the CLAs on these bodies.

Best,

Tom

Last edited by Tom33 : 09-24-2012 at 17:53. Reason: minor clarification...

Old 09-27-2012   #228
Nokton48

Quote:
Hi Nokton48,

Did the original SRT leatherette have issues? The covering on my late chrome SRT202 still looks like new... I have bought new leather for three of my XD-11 bodies from Aki-Asahi. I am having John Titterington put it on when he does the CLAs on these bodies.

Best,

Tom
No, no issues with the original Minolta leatherette, but I personally much prefer the cameraleather Griptac, I used to have it on my Leica M's, when I had them.

Great tactile feel and easy to hold, even when my hands are perspiring in hot weather.

I also think it fun to recover cameras. I do it myself.

Old 09-29-2012   #229
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I picked up another srT-101 at a resale shop today. I was more interested in the MC Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.2 body cap though..

I'll have to do some low light shot to see how it performs compared to my f/1.4 lens..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-30-2012   #230
Tom33

Nice catch on the 50/1.2!!! I am envious, my MD f/1.2 is off for a CLA, and I would buy a MC lens if I stumbled across it!

Old 09-30-2012   #231
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Nice catch on the 50/1.2!!! I am envious, my MD f/1.2 is off for a CLA, and I would buy a MC lens if I stumbled across it!
Thanks

I did some inside test shots with it today and souped the roll awhile ago.

Negatives look well exposed and sharp. I'll have to do some test scans to see how they turned out.

This lens lists on eBay for well over $500 which I would not pay. I feel lucky to have found it locally along with the srT-101..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-30-2012   #232
redisburning
-

I don't think many sell at 500.

it is a very good lens though; I'm assuming it's in the same ballpark as the 58/1.2 which is great.

Old 10-01-2012   #233
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
I don't think many sell at 500.

it is a very good lens though; I'm assuming it's in the same ballpark as the 58/1.2 which is great.
While they may not be selling at that price, that is what the seller is trying to get.

The few I have watched that were posted at reasonable starting prices have closed at or near $400-450 which is still too much in my opinion..

Both 50mm and 58mm are fine lens. Many are being converted to Canon mount...

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 10-01-2012   #234
Nokton48

I really like my 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor, mine just came back from Greg Stelz, and it is now as good as it can be. Previously the helical was tight in one spot (I think it was dropped there, who knows?). Anyway it also needed a CLA and now I am looking forward to using it quite a bit. I know it is has a great reputation, and it will make a good replacement for my Canon 50mm F1.2 RF lens, in lowlight situations. I don't believe Minolta made a propriatory hood for it (anybody know; never seen evidence of one?) so I use the Minolta D55NA lenshood on mine.

The Bokeh you get with this lens is very special. I guess that is why it has an almost cult status, and high prices, as you say.

I'd take a 50mm F1.2 MD for a really low price, too.

Old 10-01-2012   #235
redisburning
-

d55nc

they exist in the same way Rolex military submariners exist. yeah, someone, somewhere, has one but Im never going to see one.

Old 10-01-2012   #237
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Mine is very clean with no issues.

I'm looking for the d55na hood which will work on it as well as my 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor-X. Had one but it flew south..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 10-01-2012   #238
kyonthinh

I've just bought this from evilbay for 125 bucks, is it expensive or good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BOC:US:1123

Old 10-01-2012   #239
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
I've just bought this from evilbay for 125 bucks, is it expensive or good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BOC:US:1123
Nice catch..

A few days ago the seller wanted over $200 for it. He must have dropped the price when I wasn't looking...

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 10-01-2012   #240
kyonthinh

He has only one day left, so maybe that's why he dropped the price when I offered.
Well, at least he is impatient, or he is not hard headed like other people, asking a unbelievable price... Now I'm waiting for this baby travels across the sea to me.