Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Two Minolta Electroflashes & XK Stuff.
Old 04-26-2012   #126
Nokton48

Two Minolta Electroflashes & XK Stuff.

The Minolta Electroflash 450 is from the XK/SRT202 era, it works perfectly and has plenty of power. Shown mounted on my SRT202.

Also shown is my Minolta Electroflash (the original one, from the early SRT era) also in perfect working order. Shown on my favorite SRT100.

I've also started looking for XK accessories. Shown is the High Magnification Viewfinder, the C3 Focusing Screen, and the XK Flashshoe. And an original SRT cable release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (55.3 KB, 30 views)

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 04-30-2012   #127
kyonthinh

I've got the XD7. Well, as you said, that's very funny camera to work with, and I like it.

Old 04-30-2012   #128
Field

I'm sort of craving an XD11 (XD7) how is the film advance on yours? My XE-7 is a DREAM the way it feels but it is large, and the screen in it isn't that bright (I use stop down lenses a lot, M42).

The meter is pretty damn good in the SRT and XE-7, despite being slow.

Old 04-30-2012   #129
kyonthinh

Mine works well, sometimes it's got lag in shutter, I dont know why.
CLC in SRT is a bit overexposure, i found meter in XD7 very good.

Old 05-01-2012   #130
Field

For enlarger printing minor over is always better than any under though....

A Second Minolta SR-M Body.
Old 05-03-2012   #131
Nokton48

A Second Minolta SR-M Body.

I was searching on the internet for an XK body, but found this Minolta SR-M instead. It was only $299 so I grabbed it

Here is my new camera (on the left) with the 100mm F3.5 MC Rokkor. On the right, is my first Minolta SR-M, with 24mm F2.8 MC Rokkor.

Certainly a rare snag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (80.9 KB, 58 views)

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 05-04-2012   #132
kyonthinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I was searching on the internet for an XK body, but found this Minolta SR-M instead. It was only $299 so I grabbed it

Here is my new camera (on the left) with the 100mm F3.5 MC Rokkor. On the right, is my first Minolta SR-M, with 24mm F2.8 MC Rokkor.

Certainly a rare snag.
I think I have seen XK in bh.

Old 05-20-2012   #133
Nokton48

More Minolta items showing up here. The original Minolta Flash Meter, hopefully I will be able to restore it, it looks COOL and is rare to find in any condition. It will read flashbulbs, which is unusual, I think, and useful to me. And the Bellows I and Micro Stand for it, now I just need a Focusing Rail to complete the unit. The 100mm F4 Bellows Rokkor is an amazing lens to look through, absolutely beautiful Bokeh. Glad I was able to find one.

I have discovered the Minolta House Magazine "MINOLTA MIRROR" and have started to acquire back-issues. Absolutely beautiful printing and content. And, the House Newsletter, "THE CONTACT SHEET", also looking to acquire the set.

From Germany, two Minolta XK Screens (I now have the C1, C2 and C3), even though I don't have a body yet!! :-) From the same German dealer, a RARE 250 Exposure Film Cartridge, from the SR-M 250 Exposure Back. Price on the cartridge was very good, so I grabbed a few "XM" screens to help defray the high shipping costs.

Selling the last of my Leica Odds-N-Ends in a photo-only Auction here next week, at the local camera show. That will free up more funds for cool SRT stuff, I am hoping.

Greg Stelz in Durango, Colorado has overhauled my worst SRT101, and now I am amazed how differently it operates, it is like a BRAND NEW camera!! He even oils the shutter springs, and fires the shutter over a couple of weeks, to let the oil sink in. Then he calibrates the speeds (several different times). The meter is now amazingly accurate, dead-on with my eye, and most accurate meter (Honeywell Pentax ZoneVI digital meter). And amazing how bright the screen is, after a really complete thorough cleaning.

I may send him other SRT cameras, he completely strips-down and rebuilds -everything-. Replaced the loose lens mount springs too, it's now Super-tight and like-new, with every lens I have tried, so far. Well worth every penny of the $90 fee to Greg.

Old 05-20-2012   #134
Austintatious

Greg overhauled my SRT102. It is truly like a new camera now. He does fantastic work !

SRT 102 by carlosyashinon, on Flickr

RF's : Bessa-R, Kiev 4AM ,FED II, Yashica Lynx 14,Yashica GT, Yashica Lynx 5000 , Olympus XA, Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Yashica FX3 super2000, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D50, Canon A620, Panasonic LX5

Old 06-09-2012   #135
Nokton48

Here is my new Minolta XK, purchased from KEH. It seems to work OK with the High Magnification Finder, shutter speeds seem reasonable. Occasionally the mirror locks up, I remove the battery, and then it's OK again. Could be a battery issue, I'm using generic LR44 cells in it. Maybe I should get some Duracell MS76's?

The AE Auto Exposure Prism is reading way too high, about 1/15 at f16 ISO 250 in bright pure sunlight. Using stopdown metering, it's reading about two stops too hot.

I'm thinking about maybe sending it to Essex for a complete overhaul in the future. Are there any other repair guys out there that are good with XK's?

Here it is, with the C1, C2, and C3 focus screens, and the hotshoe adapter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (72.1 KB, 32 views)

Old 06-09-2012   #136
Fawley

Congrats on your new XK. It looks beautiful. I envy you and the additional focusing screens. I've always wanted a plain (no fresnel, no split image) screen for mine. I have never had the problems you describe, in fact I,ve never had metering problems with any of my numerous Minoltas. I recently loaded my XK for the first time since last fall with the Delta 400 that I usually use in this camera. Looking forward to a good summer with it

Old 06-09-2012   #137
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Does Doug do lens CLAs as well?

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 06-10-2012   #138
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawley View Post
Congrats on your new XK. It looks beautiful. I envy you and the additional focusing screens. I've always wanted a plain (no fresnel, no split image) screen for mine. I have never had the problems you describe, in fact I,ve never had metering problems with any of my numerous Minoltas. I recently loaded my XK for the first time since last fall with the Delta 400 that I usually use in this camera. Looking forward to a good summer with it
Thanks for your comments.

I'm looking for the Type G Screen myself; That's the All-Matte XK Screen, which should be useful with my long lenses.

I picked up some Duracell 357 cells, and it seems to be making some difference. By adjusting the exposure compensation dial, I can get the meter to agree with a key-sun exposure of 1/250 at f/16 with Eastman XX ISO 250 motion picture film. The original XK instructions indicate a EV3.5 exposure adjustment with the C3 screen and 400mm lens, which is what I just shot at on Auto, so the meter seems to be waking up?? Let's wait and see, it's looking more reasonable.

Old 06-10-2012   #139
mynikonf2
...new old stock

Location: ...a resident of the Virgo Galactic Supercluster or thereabouts...
Quote:
Here is my new Minolta XK, purchased from KEH. It seems to work OK with the High Magnification Finder, shutter speeds seem reasonable. Occasionally the mirror locks up, I remove the battery, and then it's OK again. Could be a battery issue, I'm using generic LR44 cells in it. Maybe I should get some Duracell MS76's?

The AE Auto Exposure Prism is reading way too high, about 1/15 at f16 ISO 250 in bright pure sunlight. Using stopdown metering, it's reading about two stops too hot.

I'm thinking about maybe sending it to Essex for a complete overhaul in the future. Are there any other repair guys out there that are good with XK's?

Here it is, with the C1, C2, and C3 focus screens, and the hotshoe adapter.
Congrats on finding a XK, it looks to be in excellent condition. If you get the time I'd like to see some more photos of it. You do not get to see these very often, in fact I can not remember ever seeing one of these being used, only photos of them on the web. Anyway, I'm happy for you for finding your new camera.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 06-11-2012   #140
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayne View Post
If it's goofy battery stuff I'd check the actual battery contacts, clean out the entire compartment with white vinegar and alcohol, and slightly pull the tab out so it makes stronger contact with the battery consistently. I've resolved XE-7 battery issues just by doing a simple cleaning/bending.
Hi Clayne,

That's a really good suggestion, Thanks. I used a q-tip with white vinegar first, then alcohol, and then lightly bent the battery contact. Need to continue playing with it, it does seem to be coming back to life.

Old 06-13-2012   #141
Hatch

Yep the XK/XM is a beauty.
HAndles so nice.
Of my Monolta's it's my favorite.

If it's working i'd have it CLA'd as fast as is possible.
Mine was overhaled recently and many solder joints had to be redone as they were failing.

Also be extra careful not to knock the metering head as they can be fragile.
The printboard is a ceramic one I think ?
And vulnerably placed.
The quality is outstanding but the design has it's quircs
Minolta XM
Minolta XD 7 (black & silver)
Minolta XE 5 & 7
Minolta SR1
Sony NEX 5
Rolleiflex 2.8F planar

Old 06-13-2012   #142
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
If it's working i'd have it CLA'd as fast as is possible. Mine was overhaled recently and many solder joints had to be redone as they were failing.
Hello Hatch,

I am curious, who did the work for you on your XK? So far, the only ones I have found that will work on it, are Essex Camera Repair, who I have had really good luck with in recent years. They charge $180 for an XK CLA. The metering head does have a small dent in the front of it, hopefully that has not affected the circuit board.

Who else out there can do a reliable CLA on an XK? Anybody with recent experience? Thnx!

Old 06-13-2012   #143
jwc57

I glad to see some appreciation for the XK. For a long time it was never given the respect it deserved. I love my XK's.

My first one was a gift back in 1984. It was dropped by a customs agent in Hawaii and they paid my friend full value. He replaced it with a Nikon EM and gave me the XK because about every third frame the advance would hang and you had to jiggle it. That never bothered me.

About ten years ago bought a spare and use it almost daily. I've never sent either off for CLA. I installed new seals and that's about it.

Old 06-13-2012   #144
Nokton48

In 1974 I was a Sophomore in High School, shooting photojournalism for the school paper, and stringing for the local weekly papers. I bought my Minolta SRT-100 brand new from the local camera store, and that camera generated alot of National Scholastic Press Association award-winning photographs for me and my school paper. And owning a new Minolta entitled me to free copies of the "Minolta Contact Sheet", which was their official newsletter and was always enjoyable reading.

Anyway in 1974 Minolta began to start the "buzz" on the XK, and of course, I lusted for one. Never actually saw one, the local shops didn't stock 'em, I guess B&H had some, and probably also select stores in Toronto.

Here is what started my XK lust back in 1974:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINOLTA-CLUB...item53ed71d33b

Working in local camera stores, and Columbus Camera Group while in College, I never saw an XK, as I can recall. They have always been rare and elusive.

Old 06-13-2012   #145
jwc57

Nokton48, as I read your post, I was thinking back to my days working at a camera store in Burlingame Ca....I didn't recall the Minolta XK either. I guessed it was just my memory, but maybe not. Then again, I don't recall any Minolta products at that store. Minolta was always at the end of the line when it came to cameras back then. We sold Olympus, Bronica, Hasselblad, Canon, and of course, Nikon.

Old 06-13-2012   #146
eurekaiv

Well, I've gone and done it... picked up a black SRT-101 from goodwill. It has the 58mm 1.4 PF which doesn't have even the slightest mark on it and the body is probably KEH BGN grade at worst. Stuck a fresh battery in and everything seems to be working perfectly but I've yet to run film through it. Guess I'm back in the SRT club after selling the only other one I've owned.

Old 06-14-2012   #147
jwc57

Due to reading this thread, I've retrieved my SRT101 and SRT201 from the shelf above my desk. The 101 is missing the lever on the rewind knob, but that probably isn't a big deal. The SRT201...I need to figure why I removed the ASA knob and dial...years ago...and try to remember how it goes back together. It took some digging around, but I found the parts in a drawer.

It's all the fault of you people.

Old 06-15-2012   #148
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynikonf2 View Post
Congrats on finding a XK, it looks to be in excellent condition. If you get the time I'd like to see some more photos of it. You do not get to see these very often, in fact I can not remember ever seeing one of these being used, only photos of them on the web. Anyway, I'm happy for you for finding your new camera.
Here is another view of my new XK, with the 85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor and Minolta 450 Electroflash, which was specifically designed for the XK. Also black TomA Softie and Domke Gripper Strap, with black hairtie. This camera is in good shape but still needs an overhaul, mainly due to it's age plus autoexposure issues. The seals have been recently replaced, which is a good thing. Dsitinct odor of contact cement when you open the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (82.3 KB, 37 views)

Old 06-20-2012   #149
Hatch

Quote:
Hello Hatch,

I am curious, who did the work for you on your XK? So far, the only ones I have found that will work on it, are Essex Camera Repair, who I have had really good luck with in recent years. They charge $180 for an XK CLA. The metering head does have a small dent in the front of it, hopefully that has not affected the circuit board.

Who else out there can do a reliable CLA on an XK? Anybody with recent experience? Thnx!
I don't know his name, someone else passed it on to him.
It seems he is starting up a shop, but nothing is sure yet.

I'll find out how he can be reached.
He works quick and isn't very expensive.

Now a more sad tale:
In my quest to have mine fixed, I called a repair shop over here in the Netherlands only to hear they'd thrown away all MF Minolta spare parts includig those for the XM during a recent move

But that's usually the way we do it over here.
Throw away everything as soon as you can buy something new and then after 20 or 30 years import it at great cost from somewhere else for that nostalgic feeling.

LOL
Minolta XM
Minolta XE 5 & 7
Minolta SR1
Sony NEX 5
Rolleiflex 2.8F planar

Old 06-20-2012   #150
Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawley View Post

I did buy a new AE finder for my XK because I found that the aperture window in the viewfinder wasn't well illuminated in my old one. That may be something to watch out for.
Mine had the same problem. it seems the little mirror that directs the light gets dislodged quite easily.
Mine's stuck back in the correct spot and it's as back to spec.
Minolta XM
Minolta XE 5 & 7
Minolta SR1
Sony NEX 5
Rolleiflex 2.8F planar