Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M -- Minolta CLE

Leica M -- Minolta CLE Minolta's electronic successor to the Leica / Minolta CL.

CLE AP mode shutter speed problem
Old 01-06-2011   #1
brandonwong

Smile CLE AP mode shutter speed problem

Hi all,

I have a CLE that works great in all manual shutter speed mode.
In AP mode, the metering reading is also accurate and consistent with all ISO settings.
The big problem now is whenever in AP mode, the actual shutter speed does not correspond to the meter reading, especially in low light.
i.e. When meter reads 1/2 second under ISO 1600, actual shutter speed released sounds more like 1/30.
My low light shots were all underexposed.

Does anyone has this problem or know what's going on?
I have clean the contacts under the dial but it's still the same regardless.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2011   #2
Mark Schretlen
mostly harmless

The specified auto-exposure range (from the manual) is EV 3 to 18. You may have been at or below EV 3 with your low light work. Although it may not be relevant to your underexposed shots, you should also be aware that the CLE meters TTL off-the-film-plane in combination with the metered curtain reading for shutter speeds below 1/60th. In my experience with the auto-exposure of the CLE I have found it to be accurate (although I am not pushing the low light limits of the in-camera metering as you may be).

Old 01-07-2011   #3
brandonwong

Thanks Mark, your mention of the exposure range could probably be relevant. My low light shots are often EV 0 to 2.
Would you mind test for me when you have no film inside the camera: AP mode under with these settings and see if you get a correct shutter sound?
- 1600 ISO with meter reading 1/2 or 1s. (Probably have to point towards a rather dark lighting or just stop down the lens)

Bran

Old 01-07-2011   #4
Graham Line

'Testing' a CLE for exposure without film in the camera will give you all sorts of bizarre results, because the meter is calibrated to read off the film plane (generally gray) rather than the pressure plate (reflective black).

The explanation of being outside the meter's range makes sense to me.

My Flickr

You can join Visionless Hacks

I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. - Henri Matisse

Old 01-08-2011   #5
brandonwong

Seems like my other option for an AP camera is the Ikon or M7 that reads much lower.
But they are much bigger and heavier.

Old 01-09-2011   #6
Mark Schretlen
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwong View Post
Seems like my other option for an AP camera is the Ikon or M7 that reads much lower.
But they are much bigger and heavier.
Photography equipment is all about compromise. That's an altogether different topic - I won't go there. I'll just suggest that you try the CLE's manual mode and also suggest that you try it without an auxiliary (more sensitive) meter. Any meter is just going to give you an an exposure that will render your scene as "average gray". With the light levels that you are working in (EV=0 or thereabouts) and film as a medium, an optimum result is pretty subjective. Why not just experiment with different manual exposures with your CLE? You already know that (for your tastes) you are underexposed when shooting at ISO 1600 and 1/30th of second. In your shooting environment why not set your shutter speed at 1/4 sec as a base and go +/- a couple of stops (in shutter speed) for a few sessions. In-camera light meters (even extra sensitive ones) are just going to put you in the ball park anyway when you are in low light situations.

Last edited by Mark Schretlen : 01-09-2011 at 10:49. Reason: grammar

Old 01-09-2011   #7
brandonwong

Thanks for the advice. After a while, I do get a feel rough EV readings visually although it's always nice to have a reassurance from an electronic equipment.

Old 02-06-2011   #8
aldobonnard

Remember that the CLE uses continuous speeds, like the M7, and does not follows strictly the indication in the viewfinder.
Also that the meter works on average of the full picture, and remains active during the exposition (meter works on the film's reflection of light).
That can explain your feeling of discrepancies.
Check that the sensor is clean, free of dust. That could explain why your actual shutter speed (film metered confirmation) is faster than the metered one.