Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

135 F4 lens
Old 01-05-2011   #1
photolady
photolady

Smile 135 F4 lens

Just got the Leica 135 F4 lens from the 1970's instead of the new 135 F3.4 lens. And love it. It is small, compact, easy to use and inexpensive. Compared to over $3,000. the $450 or so I paid for it was a bargain. Anyone else have this experience??

Old 01-05-2011   #2
furcafe

Not a surprise. Telephoto (or rather long-focus) lenses are relatively easy to make (compared to wide-angles, for example). I think the only real advances since the '70s have been better coatings & improved color correction (apochromatic/APO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolady View Post
Just got the Leica 135 F4 lens from the 1970's instead of the new 135 F3.4 lens. And love it. It is small, compact, easy to use and inexpensive. Compared to over $3,000. the $450 or so I paid for it was a bargain. Anyone else have this experience??
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-05-2011   #3
Warren T.

The 135mm Tele-Elmar f4 is a real gem and a true bargain . I got mine for < $300 from a fellow Rff'er and I'm very pleased with its performance, especially wide open. I use the lens mainly on my M3, and also occasionally on my Lumix M4/3 cameras.
My web galleries site: www.viewfindersf.com

Old 01-05-2011   #4
sepiareverb
-

Another for the Tele-Elmar thread?

I quite like this lens, beautiful OOF rendition.

Old 01-06-2011   #5
Ben Z

The 135 APO-Telyt was one of the new-generation lenses I sold because the incremental performance advantage wasn't worth the cost to me. My only regret is that I sold all of those newfangled lenses before the prices went ballistic I got my Tele-Elmar for $265 in "Bargain" grade from KEH, and even a conservative grader like myself would rate it mint minus. Best buck bang in my Leica assortment. Another huge advantage to the lens is that the optical cell unscrews and fits on a short focusing mount for the Visoflex. That coupled with an M-Visoflex to Leica R adapter and an R to EOS adapter lets me use it on my Canon DSLR's too.

Old 01-06-2011   #6
SteveM(PA)
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren T. View Post
The 135mm Tele-Elmar f4 is a real gem and a true bargain . I got mine for < $300 from a fellow Rff'er and I'm very pleased with its performance, especially wide open. I use the lens mainly on my M3, and also occasionally on my Lumix M4/3 cameras.
Hey Warren, glad it's going well ... agree, great lens, I miss it!
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K, Leica IIIf rdst, Nikon S, Sony RX100, OM1, Rebel T3 (with OM glass)
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 01-06-2011   #7
kbg32
neo-romanticist

I have both the Tele Elmarit with eyes and the more compact Canon Serenar 135/3.5. Both excellent lenses. I would love to add the Tele-Elmar. Someday...

Old 01-06-2011   #8
Ben Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
This can eliminate bulk and duplicity in a camera bag.
Duplicity is never a good thing, even in a camera bag

Old 01-06-2011   #9
Roger Hicks

The Russian (all right, Ukrainian) 135mm, a copy of a pre-WW2 Zeiss design, is astonishingly good. As Furcafe says, long, slow lenses ain't hard to make.

Cheers,

R.